Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, July twenty three. Tens of millions of dollars in political donations are rolling in for Kamala Harris, the Democrats likely candidate to take on Donald Trump in the twenty twenty four presidential race. That's after Joe Biden announced he was quitting the contest. The President, without acknowledging his clear cognitive difficulties, said he'd decided to step back and endorsed Harris. More on that in just a moment. Brittney Higgins says she has been forced to sell her house in France to pay for her defamation battle against former Defense Minister Linda Reynolds. Higgins bought the home with the proceeds of a two point four million dollar Commonwealth payout after she said she was raped by Bruce Lammon inside Parliament House. Lahman was found in a civil court to have raped Higgins. He's appealing that finding. She's a fifty nine year old lawyer with Indian and African American heritage and the darling of America's progressive left and now Kamala Harris is said to be the democrats anointed candidate to take on Donald Trump. Today, we get to know the woman who wants to be the first female president of the United States and find out why this could be Donald Trump's worst nightmare. Before we start, this episode contains some adult language. Soon after the first presidential debate, Donald Trump heads to a golf course to play a few rounds with his youngest son, Baron. During the outing, the former president strikes up a conversation with a group of fellow golfers. Someone in the small the crowd whips out their phone and surreptitiously films the encounter. In the video, Donald Trump is sitting in his golf cart with Baron sitting next to him.
Speaker 2: A broken down pile of crowd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bad he just quit, you know, he's quitting The rest is that right? Ye? The person he's referring to as a broken down pile of crap is President Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: And that means we have Karmala.
Speaker 1: It's your fucking bed. I just can't imagine Donald Trump always the showman, tells the crowd to keep knocking them out, and then drives off. Listening to this interaction, you might think that Biden dropping out of the presidential race is nothing but good news for the Trump campaign. But is that actually the case.
Speaker 2: No, it's a terrible da've Tald Trump.
Speaker 1: That's Cameron Stewart, the Australian's chief international correspondent.
Speaker 3: I was at the Republican convention in Milwaukee last week. Honestly, I spoke to dozens and dozens of Republican did not meet one that did not want to face Biden. They all wanted to face Joe Biden because they just believed Trump would beat Biden. And I think Trump believes he would beat Biden. The poll suggests he would beat Biden.
Speaker 2: No one knows.
Speaker 1: With Kamala Harris, Cam is in Washington, DC covering the chaotic lead up to the election. We're still months away from Americans heading to the polls in November, but already there's been an assassination attempt, and now the incumbent president has announced he's stepping down.
Speaker 2: It hit like a thunderclap, Claire.
Speaker 3: It was a lazy seven day afternoon, very hot in him in Washington, very quiet, and then the President's tweet came out at one forty five pm and the whole place went crazy.
Speaker 1: We are coming on the air with significant breaking news and a critical moment in the presidential race.
Speaker 4: NBC News has learned President Biden will step aside as the presumptive Democratic nominee.
Speaker 3: He will suspend his people were checking their phones, go to televisions.
Speaker 2: Social media was going crazy.
Speaker 3: Even though it was expected that he would probably drop out of the race in the days ahead, it still claim as an enormous shock. I think for people in the Capitol. I mean, it's such a seismic event. We've never seen a president do this at this late stage of a race ever before. We're into unknown territory, and yeah, the whole capital was absolutely galvanized.
Speaker 1: Now, let's talk about Kamala Harris. She's a former district attorney. She was obviously quite successful as a lawyer in her pre politics career, but she's become a target of fun for conservatives in America.
Speaker 4: You think you just fell out of a coconut tree. You exist in the context of all in which you live and what came before you.
Speaker 5: So the United States shares a very important relationship, which is an alliance with the Republic of North Korea, and it is an alliance that is strong and enduring culture is it is a reflection of our moment and our time right and.
Speaker 4: Present. Culture is the way we express how we're feeling about the moment, and we should always find times to express how we feel about the moment that is a reflection of joy, because you know it comes in the morning.
Speaker 3: She's somewhat of a mystery, which of course is what would make Donald Trump nervous, because she's a bit of an unknown. She certainly had some failures. People often forget that she actually ran for president or the Democratic nomination in twenty twenty, and she was terrible. She was very incoherent with ther stump speeches, She gaffed a lot, She didn't have a clear message as staff came and went, and she dropped out of that race before the first primary was even held. So she was not a good campaigner at that point in time.
Speaker 4: My dear supporters, it is with deep regret, but also with deep gratitude that I am suspending our campaign today.
Speaker 3: And then as vice president, certainly in the first half of her vice presidency, Biden did a very unfair thing, I think, and gave us some responsibility for the southern border. And then of course he loosened the policies, and so it's been the biggest disaster for the Biden administration. And of course she then became known in the Republicans' eyes as the borders are so she's taken a lot of flak for that, and they will absolutely milk that during the campaign. However, in twenty twenty two things turned around a bit for Harris. The Road versus Wade decision and the Republicans overreach on abortion has been a real problem for them, and she's been a very articulate advoicate, if you like, for pro choice abortion around the country for spotlighting the overreach for Republicans on the issues.
Speaker 4: Let's look at all the I think it's now twenty one or twenty two Trump abortion bands in those twenty one to twenty two states, which again make no exception some for raper incest, which have contributed to IVF clinics and being stifled, which have contributed to women having awful experiences around miscarriage, doctors and nurses and healthcare providers being afraid they might go to jail for administering care.
Speaker 3: She's very much loved in the liberal Democrat big cities progressive for a prosecutor from California, a woman of color, very high achieving. I mean, she's absolutely adored. She's not liked in the Midwest. When I travel for the Midwest, gadabars and cafes, talk to people, Karmlala Harris's name comes up, and they're very.
Speaker 2: Hostile to her.
Speaker 3: And so I think she's going to have to round the ticket out by choosing perhaps a male governor from the Midwest, because that's where her weakness will be in the campaign.
Speaker 1: Is there symbolic electoral value do you think for the Democrats in the fact that she would be the first woman president or do you think the Donald Trump factor outweighs that that symbolism.
Speaker 3: I think for the Democrats that would be very important symbolism, absolutely, and she'll get a lot of supporters a result of that. Of course, in the eyes of Republicans, that's not going to be particularly important. What will be really interesting here, and I think one of the great unknowns clear is we're looking at a generational change candidate. We're suddenly not having two geriatrics looking at each other. And seventy percent of Americans did not want the Biden Trump rematch, and now they've got what they want, and so I think the great question here is to what degree does that generational change attract voters, To what degree that they say, oh my god, look at Trump's now seventy seven, and we just need a break from this. We're going to go with the young candidate. I think that's something which is a real wildcard in this election.
Speaker 1: Biden's eventual decision to step down took an excruciatingly long time. It's been nearly a month since the presidential debate where his cognitive difficulties became painfully apparent, and since then it's been a string of Democrats publicly asking him to step down or just leaking journalists that he was toast. Then Biden got COVID and footage emerged of him walking gingerly up the steps of Air Force One. It looked like he might not make it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a lot of fault to be shared here, but it ultimately ends with the president himself, Joe Biden. I mean, he really had no sense of his cognitive decline as all, and that's why he held on so stubbornly. But also his family didn't tell him, His aides didn't want to go and actually tell him the bad news as well, and it's only when all Americans saw it unvarnished in that debate, when he was a disaster. The problem here is that it would be quite difficult probably for the Democrats to beat Donald Trump anyway, if they had a candidate who'd gone through the normal primary process and had all the time to prepare. Now they've got whoever the candidate is going to be, has only got three and a half months to a unified a Democratic Party b selely coherent and strong message to Americans to actually defeat Donald Trump, who is cashed up, confident and on the ascendency.
Speaker 1: Kamala Harris's potential rivals have one by one locked in behind her. Pete Boodage Edge, the Transport Secretary, and Governor Gavin Newsom were first. So cam what do you think about that decision? Is she the right person? Or should the Democrats have put this up as an open contest?
Speaker 3: I think they should have had an open contest, a quick open contest, but encouraged all candidates to come in if they want to. But look, there's a strong strain in the party Clare that really thinks that any division at this late stage is doom for the Democrats. They want to present the most unified face that possibly can, even though it's been utterly dysfunctional and chaotic up to now.
Speaker 1: Coming up, given Joe Biden's problems, can he really run the world until January? This news broke before most of us were awake, but the Australian subscribers were the first to know. Join us at the Australian dot com dot au and we'll be back after the break. Joe Biden has stood aside from the presidential race, but he's not stood aside from the presidency. He will still be in charge until January when the new president takes over, whomever that may be. He's now the lamest of all lame ducks, and he obviously has some serious cognitive decline. What do you feel about America's fate underneath someone with such serious questions about his judgment and ability.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's going to be a problem in the next six months. I mean, I think the real problem with Joe Biden was, for god, he's not going to last four more years. That was the issue he was looking ahead. I mean, he'll be fine for six months. He's got his team around him. He's not incompetent, he's certainly getting much older. But I think people just thought it was possible for him the last four more years. And I don't think I know the Republicans some Republicans that are saying he should step down now if you can't continue on.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's correct.
Speaker 3: And Joe Biden wouldn't do that because I think he sees it as a massive indignity for him to have had to give up the candidacy for the president. He wouldn't go one step further and actually walk out of the presidency at this point in time. So hook he'll be there. I think he'll be perfectly fine and functional. He might even improve with less of a workload to worry about. And he re elected, so I think he will be there. Now he's out of the way, there won't be a lot of attention on him. That will be all about Carmala and Donald. It's going to be fantastic.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is the Australian's chief international correspondent. Radioactive waste will be stored in South Australia after authorities granted the Australian Submarine Agency a license to manage the byproducts produced while making Australia's new fleet of nuclear powered submarines. That story, and all the nation's best news, business, sport and politics. It's alive right now at the Australian dot com dot au