Speaker 1: Yeah, Team Craig Anthony Harper is my name. Welcome to another installment for you project your favorite, second, third, fourth, fifth favorite show. I'm sure welcome, Welcome, welcome. I hope you're good. I hope you have a good day today. If it's early, if it's late, I hope you had a good day. Someone who hasn't had a good day or two of late. But she's coming good, which is good because we don't like her sick, because she's no use to me. I don't care about a health, just a productivity. Let's be honest. Ha ha ah. The productive one is still a seven out of ten, but yesterday she was a two, so absolutely no value at all.
Speaker 2: Tiff Cookai, Hi, Look, the beauty is sometimes I tend to go down hard and fast, but I bounce back hard and fast too.
Speaker 1: I reckon, Well, I think you're quite resilient because you were you know, you're a little pugilist at heart, among other things. So you're a fighter. You're a fighter. You don't wave the white flag. But what was interesting was it yesterday that we did Mick Hall, that we recorded yep, and at the start of the podcast you were okay, and then but we were on because there was a bit of pre and post chatting, and by the time we got to the end of the chat the recording, you could hardly string four words together and it looked like you had fucking influenza twenty seven. And he was just and You're like, as soon as we stopped recording, You're like, I feel shit out, so I've got to go. And then you're gone, go on.
Speaker 2: I had another one lined up that I was going to be and I was like, I'm not going to be able to make that one.
Speaker 3: I went, I went down hard.
Speaker 1: Oh that would have killed you, that one, because that was an hour and a half with Chezy Dana and might I say, all right before we jump into that, so what what do you have or what did you have or what were your symptoms?
Speaker 3: Well? Just well just a cold really, but a very headache.
Speaker 2: I did a COVID test. Wasn't COVID, Maybe an influenza.
Speaker 3: I just thought it was cold.
Speaker 2: But I was a bit headache the whole time. And then yesterday, so here's this. Yesterday morning, I'd gone to the gym just to do a light session. I did some squats, they weren't heavy. I did some hip thrust and after two sets of hips thrusts, I had to go home because I felt like someone was sitting on my chest, like my lungs felt quite sinister, and I was like, oh, this is something's not good here, and yeah, so that's.
Speaker 3: The state of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, a sick body is a stressed body, and strength training is another kind of stress. So we're putting stress on a system that is already stressed. And being the alpha female slash male slash unicorn that you are, it seems like a good idea until you get in the gym and your body's picking up the middle finger at you go and fuck you go home and rest. We're not doing this. Yeah yeah, But also when you're like you and me, which is probably a little bit rational, a little bit obsessed, well how obsessed? A little okay? Um am not? You are? Fuck off? What are you looking at? You know? So there have been many times in my life when I've just yeah, I'm the same, but I'm better now that I'm older, I'm a little bit wiser and allegedly and being able to have a day off when I actually need a day off. That's quite groundbreaking for me. As you know there are not too many days in a year where I don't go and lift stuff. But I was going to say to you, like you've been telling me and your audience and my audience a while, that you just I think you said it on yesterday's show, which will be out soon, or yesterday's recording with Mikhor by the way, everyone, if you haven't heard that, go back to it. I mean, hey, do what you want, ignore me. But I think it was a really good chat. I liked it. It was about being a late starter, some really good stuff in that, and a lot of people lately there seems to be a disproportionate number of people who are fatigued, Like every second person. I'm like, is just more physical than anything, but I guess emotional and psychological and stress and what's going on in the world. And petrol is nineteen thousand dollars a leater and everyone's like, fuck, I've got no dough and everything goes to fortune and will we still be here in three years? And AI is fucking melting my brain and social media is killing my kids, and there's a bit of overwhelmed I think going on a little which is not hard to understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I have been.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting for blood test results for iron levels, but I have just been, as you know, with my hormones and everything, fatigued for a year and just just gets to the point where you go, well, I've rested and I've changed this, and I've changed that, and I've done this, and I've done that, and I've had some wins.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and then you you know, I think you're right though, there's a lot in the world where you have to go.
Speaker 2: Oh, how much of this is just coming from lifestyle and input, the input of the world and the cognitive mode of just existing today.
Speaker 1: And also you as an individual versus old mate, versus Nancy versus John Nancy Nancy's eighty. I don't know that she listens. Nancy. If you do, God bless your Have you ever been a Nancy that's younger than forty? Reach out if you're Nancy and younger than forty, fucking well done. It's like Craigs. Has there been in the last five year years in Australia a baby called Craig? Absolutely not? Like imagine holding up a six or seven pound gorgeous little human just fucking just slid out of the nest, just fucking ready for life. What do you think, Dale? Oh? What about Craig? Oh fucking music to my ears, let's go with that. Fucking I'm still mad at my parents. Like I'm not even being funny. It's that I fucking hate my name. God, the only things that rhymes with are plague and vague. So got a fucking awesome start to existence. I mean, yeah, just rolls off the tongue. It's like honey, It's like verbal honey, fucking Craig ron Mary of all the fucking names. You only had one kid, by the way, I mean, you only had one name to choose. You had one kid, one kid. All you needed to do was come up with one fucking decent name, and you went with the one name in the world that rhymes with Fagan plague.
Speaker 2: So I remember reading Drunk Tank Pink, and there's a section in the of that book where they talk about names in the impact of names on people's lives.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, definitely, Yeah, definitely. I mean I don't want to name a name like what I think is an ugly name. There's a few names I think are ugly, but I won't say them because I'm definitely going to offend people. But there's some and then there are cool names. Again that's totally subjective, but you know it's funny.
Speaker 3: I never felt like.
Speaker 2: I matched the name Tiffany. I don't feel like a Tiffany.
Speaker 1: What do you feel like?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Definitely not a Tiffany though, like Tiffany.
Speaker 2: When I went to primary school, there was I remember in primary school there was a Arianne and a Priscilla, and you know, they were quite Ariann and Priscilla, like, and I felt like the name Tiffany belonged in that category, but I did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I reckon you need almost one of those those guy girl names. You know that's like no, but you know it's like Billy or Tony or Peter with an apt Yeah that's a cool that's a cool name.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I met a chick called John j O N. And at first I'm like, yep, I'm like, oh weird, And like two weeks later I'm like John, what's up? You know, like and yeah, well one of my friends. You know, her name is russ Yes, Russell is her actual name, like Mose will be fucking Darren, you know, like and I remember, so yeah, her husband's Henry and she's Russell. I'm like what. And when she first became a client, so she was one of my clients, and she became one of my trainers, and then you know, we've been friends for a while and it's like oh yeah. And then because I've known her thirty five years and she's now a grandmother of eight, I introduced her, you know to people like if she's at the gym, I go, oh, this is Russell and people go sorry, and I go Russell. They go and then they look at me like I'm taking the piss. And then I realized, I go, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, that's actually that's not me being funny. Weirdly enough, that's not me being taken the piss. That is her actual name. And it's funny because it's not. No one's going to go, oh, that's lovely, you know, help people go that's lovely Brian or Casey. Casey's good kind of jewel name.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I remember years ago when there was a friend who had friends.
Speaker 2: That were having a baby and they were in the motocross scene and they were two a real cool couple, and they were calling their son Buster Jones and I was like, that is the coolest name for the cool kid in the coolest family. But not everyone could pull off the name Basta.
Speaker 1: Hey, well, no, no, that is that seems like an innately ossie name as well. I'm sure someone yeah yeah, well Knacker's that would be my firstborn Knacker's Harper, and the other one if it was a girl. Two dogs, so a true blue and you you know who was doing pretty well in the creative naming of children's steaks. I can't remember the others, but I think there are a few more so River Phoenix, yeah, the actor ye who passed away. And Jacquin Phoenix. You know, the dude who plays the joker. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, so that's I think like j A c q U, I n like Jacquin. That's I've never met a Jacquin. I've never met a River. I've swum in a few, never chatted with one. And I think there was I don't know, I might be wrong, but yeah, anyway, so you're so, what did you like if you could pick your name? And you don't need to be definitive, but what would get in the top three if you could? If you could be an angel and Whisper in mum or Dad's ear and influence them.
Speaker 3: I don't even know. I think I'm terrible. I'd be terrible speak about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also I wanted to say to you, congratulations, congratulations on a thousand episodes of Roll with the Punches. The amount of people who and I'm not trying to make you or me or anyone sound good or bad, but the data is that virtually, like a very very small percentage, like less than one percent, get to a thousand episodes. And you can't get to a thousand episodes. This is a good news for you. You can't get to a thousand episodes unless you're doing something right, and so you're doing lots right. And when you posted that the other day, I kind of knew you were heading there, but I went fucking hell because you only started the podcast last Thursday. I'm like, how was you know?
Speaker 3: That's what it was sessions. If there were weekly episodes.
Speaker 2: It takes nineteen years to reach a thousand episodes.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, isn't it. That's crazy? Yeah? Yeah, Well, anyway, well done. Thanks, you're producing some really good you know, it's funny this morning, Murray, my friend from the cafe, this is I'm going to This is full vulnerability, and this is not going to make me look good. Right, Yeah, I'm just throwing myself under the bus and elevating you. But that's quite biblical because the Bible says he you humbles himself will be exult right, So let's see if that comes to pass, and he who insults himself will be humbled. I've done that a few times. Hey, look at me, boom So anyway, Wow, wow, welcome to flem Central. Everyone. It's Harps and or if she would like to be known Brian.
Speaker 3: Anyway, noting that time down to cut that golf hand?
Speaker 1: Do that? Do that? Or leave it in? No, leave it in, puck it. So Murray came in and he was talking about, oh, well think of the moment. But anyway, he started referencing you chatting to someone with on your your podcast. I've known him for thirty years. He doesn't fucking listen to mine. I wanted to kick him in the dick. I'm like, what are you listening to her show? For which I didn't really know. I was glad for you, but I was insecure and jealous and I just had that moment there going one of my mates listens to Tiff, but not to me. I don't know. Maybe he listens to me. He never tells me. He's never he's never recalled. You were having a chat. He recalled some conversation. I'm like, I didn't even know that he listened to podcasts, So fuck you, But also well done.
Speaker 3: I feel a million bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh you should, and he's quite fond of you. And I was having coffee with your big, hairy, tattooed, weird looking boyfriend with fingernailed, multicolored fingernails and holes in his ears, and also speaking of him. Fuck it, this is people like, what is this show? I don't know anyway, who Me and your bloke took Ron's new electric scooter. So's Ron's, which I've shared Ron's my dad and Ron's Ron's got Parkinson's and Ron's got lots of mobility challenges. Will say at the minutes that probably won't get much better because Arkinsass tends not to resolve itself, And so Scottie and I he graciously gave up his time and energy and we chucked it in the back of his big man van, big fucking testosterone man van while my little white lady car is sitting in the driveway. I just fucking anyway, that's okay. I love my lady car. It's fantastic. And no, not all ladies drive little cars. I know there's ladies out there with big fuck off utes, big fuck off SUVs. In fact, there's more people in this area. I reckon eight out of ten suv drivers the ladies. Anyway, So we went up there and we gave Ronni his mobility scooter. And let's just say, at this point in time, and if you know my dad, do not share this with him, Let's just say that Ron's perception of his skill versus his skill, there's something of a gap, you know. And I'm right, I'm right, and he's like, like, just it's a fucking dodge and car at the moment. But he was very excited. And you know what I love. I love to see like my dad does not get excited about much. And to be honest, you think about someone who's eighty six, they've got Parkinson's, their mobility is really limited, and there's a few other challenges significant that I won't mention going on, like, life is not easy, life is not fun, life is not convenient, and there's not a lot of highlights at the moment, but he was a little bit like a kid at Christmas today. So it made my heart sing. And your bloke, your bloke has got as people would know who've heard Scott Douglas on my show and your fucking show. Fucking hell, Tip's got a podcast anyway. Hey his I'm just kidding, am I No, I'm just kidding. I'm very proud of you. Yeah, he's he's got such good emotional and social intelligence. And because he's a paramedic and because he's been around all kinds of people in all sorts of physical conditions. Yeah, he was. It was the Scott Show today. I you know, like if he could have stayed or me, my mum definitely would have picked Scott. She was enamored with him. And I'm like a fucking desert boot and he's a fucking red stiletto, you know, so, oh look a new shiny thing. Anyway, he was great. It was great. Ron got his new toy. I hope he doesn't fucking crash any into anything. But yes, so well well done. You who was your thousandth episode? I should know?
Speaker 2: But uh, Daviana, actually remember we've spoken about Vianna trans Oh.
Speaker 1: Is that the powerlift?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you know can you give people? Well, I'm going to give a snapshot and then you correct. So what I like about he says he's a man, right, He doesn't say he's a woman. Right.
Speaker 2: He identifies Yeah, female presenting, calls him well preferred pronouns as she obviously, but calls himself a female presenting and and a biological man like he's very facts over feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I love it because he's like I like wearing lippy and makeup and wearing a dress. And has he got has he had implants?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And he's had a bunch of facial surgeries now he's had like they're quite extensive he's had.
Speaker 1: Can I say he's quite fucking pretty?
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's a blow times better than me, mate.
Speaker 1: I could probably kiss him. I reckon, he's got you covered. It's sorry, definitely, Yeah, really down to earth, really like and he's a power she's a powerlifter, and she competes competes against the dudes because she's like, well, biologically I'm a man, yeah, Like she's not claiming to be a female, but rather a biological male who likes to live as a female.
Speaker 2: Yes, and there was the trine of views on youth, very very strong us on youth and parenting and schools accepting the behavior that is tending to wean its way in these days.
Speaker 1: And so I'm guessing not. And by the way, everyone, this is obviously a very hot topic and wh're not pushing an agenda, so don't send an email. We're just talking about a fucking topic. Isn't it funny that you can't talk about some things where people will interpret into that whatever they think, Oh, you're suggesting or no. If I were suggesting, I would say, literally, I'm suggesting this, but I'm not so Yeah, but I gather not a big fan of regender reassignment surgery for anyone who's in their teens.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not, definitely not talks about the prefrontal cortex and their inability to be able to make decisions at that time of their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing. So what's been the what's been has there been? Like? What's been the hardest part of Like I think we can even though we're talking about developing a podcast, but we can liken it to developing anything. Like you come up with an idea you've got a plan, you've got to execute the plan. You've got a timeline. You've got to produce a certain amount of work every week. You've got to find guests. You've got to get good guests. You've got to have good conversations. You've got to edit it, you've got to produce it, you've got to write copy for it, you've got to publish it. And then in the end you want to put up put out something to the world that hopefully is somewhere between pretty good and fucking amazing, which is what we try and do here as well. Of course, what have been some of the lessons for you, good or bad?
Speaker 2: Ah, Good lessons I think is just the sheer amount of learning that happens unknowingly, So realizing that you don't learn more any other way than just getting your hands dirty and doing the thing, and the skills I developed, and the learning that happened I probably can't even articulate, so the transferable.
Speaker 3: Skills to.
Speaker 2: Luck life, but also to my speaking. You know, I wouldn't be entering into speaking the way I do now if I hadn't have had all of this time one communicating, holding conversations with a mindset of other people listening and other people's experience, but also of one thousand conversations with one thousand people who have lived different lives, and you sit in that conversation and you listen, and you you develop. Your world develops, and your understanding develops because.
Speaker 1: Of that and because you're doing, because you're in the experience. You know you're but your mind's all over the joint in that you're factoring in. Oh Am I too close to the mic? Am I far away from the mic? Is this interesting? Have we spoke? Do we talk about this the other day? Is this repetitive? Is this engaging? All the while trying to be genuine and organic? Like? Clearly there's been no plan today everyone, clearly, But I'm constantly thinking about would and some people will hate this chat. I'm sure some people will love it, and there might be a bunch of people in the middle. I'm not sure. But it's that that willingness to go. If I overthink it, it's going to be shit. If I overthink how I look or how I sound, or how clever I am, or what they think of me, or you know, that's that's destructive as well. But at the same time without that negative overthinking. You've got to have that in the moment's situational awareness and that social awareness. It's like, sometimes I listen to myself and I'm like, am I talking too much? Am I listening enough? Am I just waiting for tip to shut up? Because I've got a question and I'm not really listening to what she's currently talking about because I've got my next question locked and loaded. And then by the time you finish, I'm like, fuck her, that question is no good anymore because we've taken a left turn and do you know what I mean? And you're like and you don't get to ask that. I'm like, that was a fucking brilliant question, which probably wasn't. But now you're at another tangent and works out better because you're in flow. You're not in a strategic process like you're in flow. And I think if it feels like like this is not totally dissimilar, it's not exactly the same, but it's not totally dissimilar to a conversation you or I would have if we were just hanging out somewhere. Is like talking about your thousandth show, what you do? Who'd you do it? With how was it, how's the feedback? What has been you know? And like I said, everyone, you don't have to think of this as building a podcast, but taking an idea that you have, like an idea that you have, and turning that idea whatever it is, a business, a program, doing a degree, starting a charity, losing forty k's putting on ten k's like whatever it is as an idea that then something in your head, a non physical thing that becomes something that's real in the world, which is a physical thing of sorts and that people can tune in. There's you know, there's like this is real now it's this is a thing in your head that's now a thing for everyone in the world. What was my long winded question? Yeah, what's been the hardest? Like what were you shit at that you had to get better at? Ah?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think I've probably been shit at a lot of things.
Speaker 2: But the pace at which I entered doing this and the enthusiasm road those out. So if I look back, there'd be times or I could be quite critical. Maybe the hardest thing was that the sense of being so critical in the middle of it, Like I haven't and it's still to today. I can hold conversations where in the conversation I think I am pretty shit and not good at this. And for example, yesterday when I recorded that episode, I was like, ah, I don't feeling my best, and I probably should have canceled this because I think I've a really crap at it. But learning to separate my emotion in the moment in terms of my perception of it and enjoyment of that, separating that from the experience that is the podcast and the podcast for the other person. And I do that in speaking as well. Is a lot of the time my sense of whether something was good is how much I felt like I was having fun and I felt confident.
Speaker 1: Hm. And the interesting thing about our mind is that if I'm now thinking about whether or not I'm doing any good, that's where my attention is. Yeah, my attention is not on the show or the person or the conversation. My attention now, which is borne out of insecurity and fear and all the things and self doubt and overthinking. Now I'm in an emotionally driven kind of space in the middle of this thing that should Yeah, So it's I think trying to hit the pause button as quickly as you can and regroup, which is I mean, I think that ability in general, that situational awareness, self awareness, you know, even my research stuff. What am I like for the audience right now? Like you want to kind of have some insight, but you don't want to be dwelling on it because the moment that you're overthinking and dwelling and obsessing your performance is definitely going down. Ironically, worrying about your performance makes it worse. Yes, you know, it's like it doesn't worrying about it, It doesn't you know, it's like obsessing about the thing you're scared of just turns up the volume on the thing you're scared of. So it's this dichotomy between what is happening in your brain, as you said, prefrontal cortex, logical rational brain and your emotions and your nervous system. And even though you know this is not helping, it's almost like, you know, as that old chestnut you're Amigdala hijacks your prefrontal cortex. Now my emotions are running the show, specifically fear and self doubt and anxiety, and yeah, so it's that, but that is the same with every you know that can be you at work when you've got to talk to your boss. That could be you in a meeting. That could be you in a situation where you're trying to teach your kids something but you're so worried about them getting hurt that you become a rational and you know, you say shit that you probably resent or you could resent later or Yeah. That's that real moment kind of ability to be able to self regulate, yeah, with nobody knowing that that's what you're actually doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And what's ironic is that is often one of my talking points and things that I workshop is around that from the boxing ring, but it's something that I still need to confront in other areas. It's so funny how we do that, where I go, oh, here's this thing, here's an example. I can remember how it felt, so I can share it with you, I can talk about it, and then in the moment as I'm presenting maybe that exact idea, I am in the middle of a version of it.
Speaker 1: Doing that's Yeah, that's that's a mind fucking itself. But like, if you think right about everyone who rants, and I mean, you know someone who writes a fucking four or five hundred word rants on social media. I was about to give a shout out to someone who does it all the time. That would be bad. I want to do that. That would be bad. But it's like, you know that, And I'm not saying this is well. I will say I don't think it's a great habit. That's just what I think. But I'm not naming a topic or a person, but that you know that they are in that moment. It's emotional and they are thinking obviously through you know, or seeing things through their lens, and they're navigating the words that they're putting on the page with their own kind of beliefs and values and ideas, and this is wrong and this is right, and I am right about this and they are wrong about that. And I spoke about this the other day when I put up a post essentially, and I was about, you know, people who write on something some big statement I've shared this once before, sorry everyone, but some big proclamation or dissertation about why this person's a fucking idiot. You can guess who it might often be about, or the world's this, or the government's that, or today right, And I get it, like I understand why that happen I can totally understand that person's reason while disagreeing one hundred percent with what they're saying. Right. Also, I can see someone write or hear someone say something that I really align with, but understand the people that disagree with it. Right. And this is the problem in you know, So there's people right now. I have seen many of them since I wrote this. When I first wrote it, it was like I'd seen two people in two days say give a big grant, and then at the end they say, if you disagree with me, please unfriend me, don't follow me, which is also another way of saying I only want people who agree with me to be my friends. I only want people who support my ideology to comment or be on I'm like, I think that's a really bad idea. I think you should really be around all kinds of people. If someone thinks that Donald Trump's a genius and you think is you know, the Antichrist, that's okay. You don't have to join their team. They don't need to join your team. But it is really good to be informed. Now, if you live in an echo chamber, a self created echo chamber, guess what, you are not informed. You are programmed because you only listen to people like you, You only trust and respect people like you. Well, one, that's kind of egotistical and arrogant, and I understand because it's also it's that, but it's also fear. I get it. But the chances are, as I've said many times, you are probably wrong about half the time. Like if you think something and other people think something else, I'm pretty sure you're not one hundred percent right all the time and everyone else is zero percent right every time. So you've got to go, let's just be practical, realistic, get out of my ego and my fear and my bullshits, and go Have I been wrong about things before every day? Yeah? Cool? Have you had really strong, fucking foundational beliefs that was essentially a part of your identity and then you changed? Yes, I've definitely had that. There were things that I would have fucking I would have gone to war over, And now I think I was a fuck word. I was wrong, but I was wrong, And so no one wants to go by the way Tiff was right. I was wrong, and without going oh but here's my you know, this is no just I was wrong the end, and for people that I misled or I offended. All right, you know whatever, I'm sorry I got it wrong, because you know what, I'm a human and I get things wrong. Or I might think the same thing and believe. I'm not saying we shouldn't have hardwired beliefs. I'm not shouldn't saying we shouldn't have opinions. I'm just saying that it's probably a good idea to keep some humility around it. And you know, like everyone thinks they're open minded unless you agree with what they disagree with what they think. You go, well, you're not open minded. Well, you're open minded with things you don't care about or don't know about, but when it comes to the things that you think you think are true, then you're closed minded. Ergo, don't follow me, don't talk to me, only follow me if you're like me, right, the concept of an awareness bigger than you and really being objective, which is pretty impossible, so I'll say that, But truly open minded, that's a real hard gig.
Speaker 2: It's the amount of times I've had conversations with people and people that So you and I both talk a lot about psychology, and.
Speaker 3: I do a lot of gas adversity in.
Speaker 2: Trauma and our minds and our psyche on the show, and I'm fast by it, and I'm fascinated by understanding why we behave the way we behave and what story led to that, And so I'll have these conversations with people about that, and the amount of times I've also at times had conversations with those same people where they're talking about a person and they're judging the behavior, or they're making comments that disregard everything that has been a learning or a point of discussion from these other types of conversations. And I'm always astounded by that because i think, hang on that, where did that knowledge go or where did that understanding, you know, in those previous conversations, and now we're just back to judging someone without any account to what they might have experienced.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and think about even the idea of I think objectivity is a confusing like being truly being open minded, which is like where just to arm a blank canvas? No, you're not like I'm talking about this, right, I'm studying this. I'm am I open minded? No in that, let me qualify that. Am I completely open minded? No? Am I much more open minded? Slash objective slash less concerned with being right infinitely more than I used to be. I'm not saying, go me, I'm great, I'm going to I just realize, like, if I'm being honest, I've fucked up a lot of things. I've done businesses that didn't work. I've done speaking engagements that were crap. I've given advice that was wrong. I've had meetings that blew up. I've had I've had poor outcomes with coaching. I've had why Well, because I'm like everyone, I'm a little bit broken, a little bit brilliant at times depends, and I get shited wrong, and I'm going to continue to get shit wrong. And this just this honesty we've gone. I'm going to get shit wrong, could be wrong now. But you think about the concept of objectivity, is that there is nothing, no existing thought, value, belief, personality, trade. You know that that would influence how you see something. Well, that's just not true for anyone, because everyone has got certain beliefs and ideas and values and expectations and desires and culture and personality and a unique brain that sees the world a certain way. And go on and more and more and more, and stories and experiences logged. You know, and I know there are certain topics that I won't talk to you about now, but there are a couple of topics where you fucking fire up in seven seconds. Right. You are not objective, You are definitely biased, and you definitely have a strong and someone else can go but what about this, and you be like fuck that because this right, and that's cool. That doesn't make you bad, that makes you tiff, you know, depending on what it is, I would probably do the same. But yeah, that kind of that bigger than you awareness, like ah, this is yeah, so this is like which is I mean, as we said before, there are some people who might still be hanging in here going fuck and how this is so boring talk about something interesting for God's sake right now. If you've still hung in and you think that, well, you're a glutton for punishment. But then there are other people going, oh this is this helps me? Like this is interesting because on a level, we are all the same. We all self sabotage, we all get in our way, we all have moments of brilliance. We all have a moment where we're a prick. We all have a moment where we're a gift to somebody. Sometimes we do smart things, sometimes dumb things. Sometimes we're strategic, sometimes we're emotional. You know, we're all looking through our own individual lens at the world. There's what's happening, and then there's our story. And so when you start to understand your own mind and your own stories and your own kind of bias, like, having bias is not bad. Having bias is just who we are. So I'm quite if I'm being open and honest, I have a Christian bias because I was raised in that, you know, and can I acknowledge that a lot of Christian religions, denominations, I should say, under the banner of and a lot of the practices and habits and even kind of dogma around Christianity, I think it's bullshit. I think it's destructive. Some of it, I think a lot of it is beautiful wisdom. But if I'd done a deep dive into a lot of other religions or traditions, I would say the same. I'd say, there's stuff in here that I don't think so and then there's like, look at this, this is gold. Read this this is transformative, you know. But I'll read something that's transformative and someone else that will be double dutch.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you back on the podcast front, what was hard for you? But also what has been your why Because you've done over two thousand episodes, You've done you know, daily for a very long time, and that's not easy. And you know, I know that's not making millions and millions of dollars. So there's a really strong wine I'd love to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for me, it's not a thing. I think it's multiple things. So I'll just start with the the curious. So part of its curiosity, part of it's altruistic, part of its personal development for me, and part of it's are strategic and commercial, so not in order of importance, but like, I like meeting people. I like having meaningful conversations. And I know that's very cliche, but that is true. And I think what other people might not think is because okay, how do I say this? I think I am operationally, not inherently or genetically, but day to day operation and function. I think it's not the right word, but in inverted comm is smarter than when I started the show because I've spoken to so many people who have a kind of intelligence or skill or gift or awareness or knowledge that I do not have. So I always say, hang around with people who drag you up, right, Well, that's me every episode, you know. I know it's a little been a little bit. Well, I was going to say it's been a bit me teacher, you student. But there have been times when intentionally or not, you've taught me things or like full disclosure. We've spoken about this because we're open books, because you and I are very much almost like pseudo dad daughter or pseudo big brother younger sister. Right, so there's been times when you and I have had the shits with each other. Right, it's like fuck, you know, fuck you a little bit, not in a you know, but we've had to sort through stuff, and I've got times where I've kind of I've had to learn I've had to read the Tifth Manual because the Craig Manual is not the Tifth Manual. But when I talk to you in a way that I might talk to me if there was another me, it doesn't fucking work. And I also know what you value, and so I try to give you what you value and speak your language, not because I'm being strategic, but because that's the kind of an expression of love is working with someone in a way that resonates with them. And it's like when you put up your post about your thousand's episode. You know, I just put up something short. I don't know what it was, something nice with it, you know, like one sentence, and then you wrote back all this super nice stuff to me, which was much appreciated. But it's like just for me being able to have meaningful conversations like this where you're constantly in the moment, but you're also assessing where we're at. I'm also thinking about how long have we been talking, how long should this go for? How do I wind it up without it sounding like we're halfway through something when we wind it up. So there are so many cognitive factors at play in terms of managing the situation, but then also just the experience. So for me, it's just something that I really enjoy. And yeah, there are times when the new project is commercial great, and there are times when that's not the case. But I don't like me doing this is not about money. If we make good money, that's fucking fantastic. And we've got sponsors and we're partnered with Nova Entertainment and all of that, and I value them, appreciate them, and value every dollar that a sponsor pays all that kind of shit. But if I would never do this for money, because I can make more money doing one speaking gig than thirty podcasts. Kind of, it depends, you know, it depends on next. I genuinely like finding out about people and what drives them, and you know how they talking to somebody like what's his name, old mate, Professor Jeffrey Reddicker from Harvard Medical School, which he's known the guy that started Netflix? Mark what is his surname? Anyway, Like talking to that dude, it's like this guy built he created Netflix. He's a billionaire, and he's talking to me like we're two blokes at the cafe. And it's like, I don't have access to these people ever. But when you've got a podcast that ranks okay, and you've got two thousand episodes in the can, and you send them a list of like here's fifty people that you will know that I've interviewed, and so you build this whole, you know, then selfishly, I get access to people that I would never meet and I don't have to you know, it's not like, ah, I'm seeing what's his name anyway, it'll come to me. But Mark who started Netflix.
Speaker 3: Rand Mark Randelf, Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you. But I've got to pay him ten grand for twenty minutes of his time to talk to him. And he was so that guy was so generous and so kind. And I said to him, I don't know if you remember this, but you might not have been on it. And I said, at the end your ace, I go, can we be friends? He goes, of course, And I go, when I come to Colorado, I think Colorado where he lives in the middle of the wilderness and he works two days a week, right, but he works like sixteen hours each day, and then he has five days where it's just all about his kids, his wife, his grandkids, kayaking, mountain biking because he lives in the middle of nowhere. And I'm like, this dude has got it sorted out because he doesn't do nothing. He works, but he's incredibly productive and efficient for two days and then not and his team is not allowed to contact him for the five days unless the joints burning down. I'm like, yeah, he's got that sorted And just that encounter with me Mark Randolph here, that's it. He made a bigger impact. I can't remember his name, you know, but then like being weird, like Johnny Raffo, who's no longer with us, I'm so glad that I got to meet him and we connected and I loved him and he was so great. And Danny Frawley who was on the show, who's no longer with us, who I trained him at some killed her and we were friends and it was great to have. We had a talk of a deep, kind of almost heart wrenching story about mental health, you know. And then sadly he passed away five six months later. And then doctor Gladys McCrary, who at the time was one hundred and two or three when I interviewed her, and so beautiful and so much wisdom. And I'm like, who gets to talk to one hundred and three year old that's sharp as attack and smart and was born when she passed away a year or two ago, was born, like when cars were new, like cars were a revolution, you know, planes were just literally getting off the ground. You know, it's fucking amazing. And you know, so many of those like those moments that I have and they're recorded. And Simon Hammond, a friend of mine who owned an amazing speaking agency and wrote a few books. And Nima, my friend the pharmacist, who we did probably ten to fifteen episodes, and he's passed away. And it's like there's just been so many magic moments that for me are just gifts, and you know, yeah, it's just I would not I would not stop this. There would be have to be you know, if no one wanted to listen, then okay, you know, but I don't know, yeah, just yeah, for me, it's been a gift that I didn't it was like an unexpected gift. Probably started off far. Let's do this thing because I'm not bad at talking. I've worked in radio. I can interview people. But this is radio without breaks, without fucking weather checks, without station idea, without we.
Speaker 3: Get a few station ideas. Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Good There at SAPs from the new project coming at your live. It's currently five pasts out. I think top fourteen degree today. Our big Pine City by the Bay coming up next. It's tiffing a bullshit, but first a little bit of a Casey in the sunshine man walking on Sunshine. You're welcome. I'm working. No, I don't do any of that.
Speaker 3: Tell me what has been the hardest for you.
Speaker 1: What's been the hardest for me? Okay, what comes to mind. Dealing with negative feedback has been interesting, but I like it. Somebody wrote the other day and I'm not at all mad at him, that was a really good podcast and whoever it was, the guest actually got a chance to talk. And I'm part of me wanted to go fuck you, And then I'm like, which, whoever, that was definitely not fuck you. But I'm like, yeah, I still do that, Like I still I'm like, oh, fuck, you know, like I still make mistakes, Like I'm pretty good at this. I guess yes. But if someone said, you know, like you've done a lot, and you know, do you reckon you're somewhere near ten, I'd go, no, I reconom a six. I economic six. Yeah, and some days I might produce an eight or an eight and a half, or the end product might be an eight or an eight and a half. As as people know, Melissa ranks every episode or the ones that she listens to. But yeah, I think that I think developing like a flow and a cadence, learning to be as natural as you would in a one on one conversation at a cafe like we are. Now, have you.
Speaker 2: Have you done any structured like strategic listening or adapting how you run a conversation or trying to get better in that way?
Speaker 1: Incidentally, because like if somebody says, I love that show so much, like somebody said the other day, I've listened to all of your podcasts. Oh it was the one where Bobby coached me.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was great And.
Speaker 1: Bobby coached me and I did you listen to that? Of course, I'm like, I don't know if I want to do this, Like we're talking about like we've spoken about leadership and coaching and self awareness and you know, how to community and we'll talk. Him and I were talking afair about coaching, and I said, do you want to coach me? And I'll take off the typ hat. I'll take off the Craig Harper faking hat, and I'll take off the you know, the host hat, and I will be a client and I'll be real and I'll be I won't. I won't, I won't be strategic. I'll just be vulnerable and what yeah, and I got I don't know if I cried a fucking I cried fucking every tenth episode I'm pathetic, but I definitely got emotional and it was definitely hard, and he definitely asked a few questions that I felt like going, fuck, you don't ask me that. Like I didn't, but I felt like stopping it and going, nah, I'm not to go on there. But I went there. Yeah, and then yeah, a few people like, we got a lot of feedback. Compared to the normal amount of feedback, We've probably got three or four times. We've probably got three or four or five times the likes. If you're wondering where I'm talking about our Facebook page? Did you project? Uh? Facebook page? Project group? Yeah, And like I listened to that and I went, oh, and I did not enjoy listening to it. But I want to hear what it is that people like, you know, and it's always you know, it's like some people really love when I do a thirty minute solo and I'm essentially doing a fucking pep talk. Get your shit together, stop fucking around. You know, I love you, but don't be a fuck with kind of thing. Right, you don't need to cheer squad, You don't need to put up a picture of your fucking breakfast. Right, you don't need to do that, you know, and people some people will not like that because that doesn't suit them or they're not ready for that chat or whatever, and other people like, thank you so much. That is exactly what I needed to hear. And that's so you've got to be a generalist, because you you're definitely not. You know, it's like the biggest podcast in the world, Joe Rogan. I hear more hate about Joe Rogan. Like the people that go to me, oh, what a fucking and generally the people let go what a fucking idiot? Have never listened to one episode. But what they've is they've seen clips here and there, and they based there there. You know, it's like they didn't see the film. They saw a thirty second reel of the film, and now they're an expert commentator on the film that goes for three hours and they saw thirty seconds. But I don't like people have literally said to me, I don't need to listen to a podcast. He's an idiot. I'm like, okay, now, I'm not promoting Joe Rogan. I'm just going I listened to some I'm like, not interested in the topic, not interested in the guests. See you later. And then somewhere he's got some brainiac on and people think he's dumb based on it some perception. I'm like, I could give you some podcasts where you listen and yes he swears, and yes he fucking smokes cigars and occasionally dope on the thing, and yes he's a UFC commentator and interviewer, and yes he owns a comedy club. Yeah, but you know, it's like, Okay, you don't need to like him, but don't. Don't don't think you understand somebody and then run him down because you saw seven seconds of something that didn't resonate with you. Or you've got a friend that you really like and respect who says Joe Rogan's a fucking idiot, So therefore Joe Rogan's a fucking idiot. You know. Do I have a cringe at what he says? Yes? Do I ever get a light bulb moment? Yes? I reckon.
Speaker 2: We have been primed. I did a rant on this recently. I reckon, But I reckon the world is priming us to make fast judgments and hit outrage just in general. You know, like I talked about how everybody is tear, how we tear other people down. Yes, we can't just have an opinion. We have to now stitch somebody else's content into I don't do it, so I shouldn't be saying ow or we.
Speaker 3: But that's why our talk.
Speaker 2: We stitch people's point of view a tiny snippet of it, and then we say why it's shit, So we tear other people down to because and the algorithm loves it and we get all these accolades. That is priming human behavior. That goes back to the cognitive bias that you talked about before, and no fucking good can come of it. And we know it's shit, but we're being it as a fucking as humanity, as a human race.
Speaker 1: M it's not cool. You know, this is in the ballpark of what you're talking about. I just want to share something which sorry, folks, this will be a little bit laborious, but it might be interesting. So I have this conundrum at the moment with social media and people know, you know, I don't know, I might, I don't know how many words? What's the I think we talk like something like one hundred to one hundred and fifty words a minute in a normal conversation, or a bit more. But let's say over an hour, what's sixty times one hundred and six thousand words six seven eight thousand words in a one hour podcast something in that ballpark, right, And in the course of that hour, I might swear I don't know ten times. I'm not sure. So there's ten swear words and seven thousand non swear words. People just some people will send me messages about the ten words, and so the ten words they ignore the seven thousand, right, and all they invest their energy in is the ten words or the five words. But the irony is in other forums, like on social on Facebook for example, Like the other day, I did a test and I'd written two posts, and the first post was essentially about the message underneath was how to utilize more of your potential? Well, I work in the human behavior develop your potential, think better, do better, be better, psychology space, right, And so I gave eight points to help people move the needle on being able to tap into their own potential with the understanding that you're not going to get any more potential. You're not going to get more You might get more skill, more awareness, more understanding, more knowledge, whatever, more resources, but your potential is set. How much of it, will you exploit? So I wrote out these eight what I think are really good points. Now I just want to give the comment. So on that post. Now, I've got nearly seventy thousand followers on Instagram right forty seven likes on this I think is a very solid post. One comment, two people shared it on their own platform, and eleven people shared it with someone else about Within the same hour, I wrote another post, and I just knew that this post would go all right, but I'm sick of having to. It's like if I write two posts the same post and one's got air force C in it, I'm not even going to say the word everyone, So there you go, there you go. You're fucking welcome.
Speaker 3: You've said it.
Speaker 1: I'm joking. But so I wrote the C word right now. I wrote the C word, and then I had an arrow. So the heading is that word, and then not always an insult, and then so it is the first line is then I'm kind of giving it like a breakdown. C word not good, funny sea word that's good, smart C word, context dependant, good C word, social approval, sneaky sea word usually bad, smamy S word, socially repellent. Now Now this has been up for less time than the other one, and I literally said the C word. One's seven times. Now three and a half thousand likes, fifteen thousand and seven hundred shares, so fifteen thousand. Now that's not the like. By the way, there's been nearly quarter of a million people that looked at this post views. Right, it's only been up a few days, so over fifteen and a half thousand people shared this message. But the other message, which was really good advice and sound kind of coaching and psychology, nobody. And this is my conundrum. Right, And by the way, nearly one hundred comments, one hundred and eighty shares that people on their own page. They put it on their own page, and then fifteen and a half fifteen seven people sent it to someone, right, and heading towards quarter of a million views. Now here's my conundrum. When I don't swear, my numbers go down, like literally, my followers drop off. If I say the same message, we're swearing goes up. My I forget here it is? How on? Let me find it? So this one, which is not too much swearing, but of course life's a shit show. And then it's awesome and then you're sad and then happy, and then it's lunchtime. Your challenge is not to create a perfect life, but rather to thrive in the inevitable imperfection of it all. But the fifth word in that is shit. Now that's been shared nearly thirty thousand times. And let me just look at the numbers. Two million and seventy eight, six hundred and thirty four views. Right if I put the same post up with no swearing, it would not reach twenty thousand views, so twenty two million. So this is this is tricky, and so that's and right now I don't know the solution. I don't know the solution because I really don't want to be I just swear because that's how I talk. I don't swear for effect, I don't, you know. And there are times when the situation it's inappropriate that I swear, so I don't. But if you're with me at the gym, if I'm with the crab, if I'm with your bloke, if we're you know, I swear. I don't swear all the time, but we might work out for an hour and I say fuck four times. Whatever it is right. I might go to a corporate gig. I say it's zero because I have enough awareness to go, this is inappropriate in this spot with these people getting paid this money doing this job. And so yeah, it's like the human algorithm, and you go, well, the main negative feedback I get. I get way more positive negative. Thank you everyone. But the main negative feedback I get is about swearing. And then if you look at my books, I've written seven books and the one with fuck on the front cover has outsold all the other books all together sales by about five up fifty thousand sales with Stop Fucking Around, and in Australia a bestseller is ten thousand, also self published.
Speaker 3: It's interesting. It's been interesting to know if.
Speaker 2: It lands differently in a written form than people hearing it, you know, like because obviously there's a different demographic on Instagram than there is in a podcast. You have a different audience in those platforms. But it would be a really interesting exercise to have the same audience and.
Speaker 3: Write with the.
Speaker 2: Same amount of swear words in your writing and have them read it as to listen to it and see if that if the response was the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's I mean, if.
Speaker 2: I swear a lot way too much for a very feminine lass like myself, you know, lady like.
Speaker 1: Lady, hey, can you get chipped back on?
Speaker 2: But I remember a time when when I started editing my podcast, word I don't like the sound of Quite often I.
Speaker 3: Like the sound of females swearing. It's not as it's not nice, but I do it.
Speaker 2: But I started swearing less on the show, and if I remember in the early days cutting some of the swearing.
Speaker 3: Out because I was like, oh, just sounds terrible.
Speaker 2: I like saying it doesn't land that way in conversation, but I didn't like listening to it.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting, Yeah, I think also like, what's that old dude professor something ash? What's his name? Amtmi? This old beautiful Indian professor. So is this combination of like academia and intellect and spirituality and like my favorite kind of person. Right, I'm like, oh, I could just sit at his feet like a kid and listen to him. And the moment that I got on, I had a distinct awareness that it would be totally inappropriate, right, And so I didn't. So you kind of read the room a bit, you know, and you know there's that Yeah, I don't know. But anyway, that's a conundrum. I don't know. I don't think I'm gonna it's hard because I don't want to. Like sometimes I'll write something and I know if I put a C word in there, it's going to go way better. Yeah, and more people will read it, you know, more brand better exposure, da da da da da. And at the end of the day, so what do I do for a job? My main income is speaking to groups, right, I go, well, the more, well, like, we just got an inquiry today unless it goes to me. Just before we went on, she goes, are you going to You just got an email from a New South Wales police and for a moment my sphincter snap like could you fucking finish that sentence? You know? But they potentially want me to go and do some work with them. But I'm thinking, there's no way I'm getting that gig unless I've got the profile that I've got, you know. And yeah, You're like, it's like, well it's and it can sounded egotistical work. The bottom line is the more if you are a speaker, you're selling your time, your knowledge, your skills. But if you're I'm not saying I'm brilliant. But let's say you're a brilliant speaker, but nobody fucking knows who you are because you have no public presence. No one knows you. It doesn't matter how brilliant you are, you're not getting gigs. Yeah, so it's that conundrum. Well, I've got to work, I've got to pay the bills, and if fifty thousand followers is good, then one hundred thousand is better because it you know, and it might only increase it a little bit. But you know, we ninety nine point nine percent of I would say, I'd say probably ninety nine percent of people who listened to this, which I'm completely happy with and understand will never spend one cent at the Craig Harper store, if you know what I mean, right, And I do that knowingly and gladly. And this is in no way suggesting anyone does. But it's like, well, you know that this is what you do. This would be the worst branding and marketing. Like if your job was to get bums on the seats, this is the worst way to do it because it's such a slow grind, and you think, well, I don't know what I've done like twenty one odd one hundred or more. You go, well, if each one of those is an hour, that's twenty one hundred hours like this one's gone for longer even and then all the editing and then the writing copy, and then the know you sitting there or Melissa sitting there making it make it sound better than it did before because someone's audio was crappy, and then adjusting and regulating and doing all the clever shit that you two do. Yeah, you would not do this to become famous or rich. Yes, Hey, it's been good. I don't know if anyone else enjoyed it, but I did so suffering your jocks, everyone else and all our overseas listeners will not know what that means. It's fun, though it's tongue in cheek again. Congrats on your thousand go you, thank you. I'm glad you're not dying of the lurgie. Tell you, bloke, he's a good man. Just squeeze him on the ass for me and tell him that's from me. I was going to say on the edge on the end of the dick, but that's inappropriate, so I'll just leave it.
Speaker 3: To us and getting around in your flanny, mate, he's getting around.
Speaker 1: I left my flanny in his van everyone and then Tiff sent me photos of him wearing my fucking flanney. He probably catch something, all right, splaining great. Thanks Cook, Bye,