Speaker 1: Oh, hello, welcome to Healthy Ish. Thanks for joining us on this daily podcast from Body and Soul. I'm your host Felicity Hally. Today's guest is pretty freaking inspiring. In fact, she just set a world record for the biggest paddle waved ever served by a woman. Pretty impressive, right. It is Australian pro serfer Laura en of Us. She joins us in the studio to discuss what it takes to get her body and mind ready to ride the massive waves. Make sure you're listening to our sister pod, Extra Healthy Ish, where she shares more about how she embraces fear she leans into it. Oh that is also a very inspiring chat. Alurrah, Welcome to Healthy Ish.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Felicity, Oh, nice to do well be here after you just stepped off a plane.
Speaker 2: I know, I was just saying to you, I'm just like, thank you God.
Speaker 3: The jet lag from Europe is like you're up early and buzzing in the morning and you know, crash by like four pm. So I'm buzzing because usually I feel like I'm quite It takes me a while to get up in the morning, which is surprising being a surfer.
Speaker 1: That is yes, very surprising to hear. Now you would just crowned Female Surfer of the Year at the twenty twenty four Surf A Big Wave Challenge Awards. I mean, congratulations they tell us the story behind this award.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I actually kind of even believe it. Honestly.
Speaker 3: It's been such a wild journey and I feel like, you know, at the start of my career, if someone had told me, you know, you do seven years on the World Tour and then leave it all and go be a big wave surfer and just then, you know, break a world record for the biggest way paddled and then when Surf of the Year, I just would be like, you're joking like this, I don't know, There's just no way.
Speaker 2: I think. It's just it. You know.
Speaker 3: It makes me really proud just seeing how far I've come and just as I've believed in myself as I've been on this journey, just kind of what doors have opened up and what I've been able to, like, what goal I've been able to Just I don't know, I feel like I never thought I was going to surf these types of waves.
Speaker 2: I thought I was going to surf like kind of semi big waves, but then.
Speaker 1: It's just when we talk about a big wave, what, yeah, size is that And you were the first woman to do it, to paddle in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well not not the first woman to paddle in, but just like I was. It's just the biggest measured wave that's been paddled in by a woman. But there's been amazing big waves like female surfers in the past that have, you know, especially in Hawaii. You know, it's kind of the birthplace of big wave surfing, and there's always been amazing how big it was the one you did, So the wave that I paddled into was forty three point six feet tall or thirteen point three meters, So it's like, yeah, it was just it was a monster. It was so it was so massive, and I was yeah, out that that day with my good friend full Listy Palmitive had on and yeah, I think, oh she was there, Yeah, she was out there with me that day. We've we've decided to sort of team up and just really like go on this big wave journey together, which has been amazing because you know, it's such a male dominated sport and for so many years, I literally just felt like I had imposter syndrome, like around these men just being like, gosh, I definitely don't have like your muscle legs or like I don't have you know, Like it was just easy for me to feel like I wasn't strong enough to be in this world. And I think, yeah, the last few years has just made me realize that I can, like I don't need to be look a certain way to be able to catch these waves and do it.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, so it's been really cool.
Speaker 1: What does it take to write a big wave in terms of physically, I mean, you just said you don't feel as strong enough as the men, but you are totally.
Speaker 3: And I've always been a strong paddler, Like I used to do nippers when I was a kid, and I used to go to State Titles and Aussies for paddling, and so I feel like I've always been a confident paddler. And I think when you're out in these big waves and you're using literally your two arms to get into the wave, it's all about positioning, timing, and you know how quickly and well you can paddling to these waves. And I think that's where I found my strength in knowing that I'm a confident paddler, and just when you're out there, you know you're out in mother nature, and you don't know when these waves are going to come. You only just have these people that are like one hundred or so meters away in a boat whistling when there's like a massive set looming you can't see if you can't see these lumps, but sometimes you can't really tell. You'll see them at last minute. You start scratching out the back and it's all about positioning, positioning yourself in this huge lineup, and you've got these waves that have been generated by a storm, like thousands of cormeters away that have just that have marching through, and so you have to paddle as fast as that wave is moving to get into it.
Speaker 2: And that's the hardest part.
Speaker 3: You probably try to paddle for about fifty waves like more the whole session. Like you could be out there for four hours and not catch a wave.
Speaker 1: But when you were paddling into the big one, yeah, did you appreciate that it was so big? Or did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where was your mindset at?
Speaker 3: So basically that session, me and me and my friend Flick had been We've been out there for an hour and a half, right, And sometimes you're out in these big wave sessions for like hours and hours, like even half a day, and you might not even catch a wave because you're kind of like playing cat and mouse trying not to get one like break on your head, like trying to not be too far in and not be too far out, just.
Speaker 2: In the perfect spot.
Speaker 3: And I had kind of positioned myself a bit away from the crowd and just just how this like feeling like just be like I just feel like I need to sit over there. And then I've paddled over there, and I swear it was like ten minutes later this wave just popped up and it was it was.
Speaker 2: The biggest wave that I had seen that day, but it was it.
Speaker 3: Just felt like I was in the perfect spot for it, and I literally just went and like go turn around. I was in such a perfect position that I only had to take two paddles and I felt it pick me up and I could just ride down the face of it. And everyone else was a bit further in, so they were scratching over it to not get caught out.
Speaker 2: What emotions were you feeling, Oh, it's just.
Speaker 3: I just remember thinking like go and just like, do not hold back. And then when I took off and got to my feet, I looked down and just remember thinking, this is the biggest wave I've ever been on for absolutely sure.
Speaker 2: Were you scared or were you were you more?
Speaker 1: Was it more exhilarating or what it was?
Speaker 2: It was scary.
Speaker 3: But I think all the fear in big wave serving, I think comes, you know, like all around to the waves. But then when you decide to go on the wave, like the only thing you can think about is committing to it. And if you have any other like fear or thought like or doubt, it's just you know, that's when I don't know, you just need to commit. And so I was like, you're going commit, and I was just I remember looking down the face of this wave and just like saying to myself, make it to the bottom of this thing.
Speaker 2: And I made it to the bottom, and I.
Speaker 3: Remember looking up and seeing this huge like it was like a apartment building when you yes.
Speaker 1: So when it so, does it come crashing over?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So it actually came and crashed and it landed like behind me, and I ended up getting sort of exploded out and upwards. But yeah, in big wave surfing, it's kind of you know, it's all about making that drop and get into the bottom and you've you've ridden the wave, and so yeah, like the Guinness World Records and WSL they yeah, I said that that was. They acknowledged it and said that was the biggest wave written by a woman, So yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was pretty awesome. And the funniest thing about that story.
Speaker 3: Is that same day there was a huge big like event. I was in Hawaii and the Eddie IKW event, which is like one of the most prestigious big wave events, was happening like two commonters away. Why I was ulternate that day, so they told me to come and stay and stay on the beach and I was like, you know what, I don't want to sit on the beach and wait for someone to get hurt. I'm going to I was like, this is perfect. Like the conditions that day it was like the biggest best swell in like a decade. They think with no wind, So I don't know. For me, I just feel like, if I was going to catch the best way of my life, you need no wind because you're not It's just another element you don't have to battle yep, And so.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm going surfing.
Speaker 3: And then so I caught this wave and didn't think anyone saw it.
Speaker 2: I wentnie and I was just buzzying.
Speaker 3: I saw some friends on the beach and I was like, I just didn't think anyone even saw this wave and or even took a foot photograph. And then four days later I got an Instagram message from a photographer who was like, I shot your wave, and I was like, oh my gosh, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see it.
Speaker 3: And he sent me the photo and just wrote underneath it, I think this is the biggest wave ever surfed by a woman, I ever paddled into by a woman. And yeah, I was just like, oh my gosh. I saw the photo and I couldn't believe it was me.
Speaker 2: I was just like this little speck with this huge wave behind me.
Speaker 3: Portugal next, Yeah, I mean, I'd loved I just got home from Portugal from the awards over there, and yeah, I'd love to I'd love to try surf Nazarei one day. It's it's its own beast, and it's a different type of surfing. It's toe surfing, like the pinnacle. I think Nazaree is the pinnacle. It's it's all mostly about toe surfing there, so you need a team, you need a jet ski to get in. But you and I think, you know, you've got to learn a lot more about that team tactic of having the jet skis. And I think if you've got to get a hole down there, it's going to be pretty gnarly because you can get washed into the rocks. So yeah, there's a lot of things about Nazaree that definitely scare the crap out of me.
Speaker 1: But for me that I especially think for you, you'll do it anyway.
Speaker 3: I know, Yeah, I think yeah, me and me and Flick Wi tried. We want to do it for sure together. But yeah, my main goal is still to get back to Hawaii. And now I'm invited into that event, the Eddiik event, and I'm not an alternate anymore. I'm like properly in the event, and so I'm just like just hoping that it gets to gets to run this year. They have to wait for a big enough swell like that last one, and sometimes it takes like a few years for that to come. So I'm just like, I hope this year.
Speaker 2: Is the year.
Speaker 1: Enjoy all the fanfare from your big win and thank you for coming on.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Felicity.
Speaker 1: I'd just like to add that Laurie is so petite, and when she was talking about, you know, paddling in her arms and dropping into this biggest wave, I just thought, Wow. Yeah. Anyway, I hope you got a lot out of this chat. I sure did. I found her incredibly inspiring and hey, nothing's too small for Laura. Anyway. If you did enjoy this, tell Us rate and review this episode, subscribed to this podcast of course. If you have an idea for an upcoming up something before Christmas, someone you would like to hear from, just dm me at Felicity Harley. Across social media, make sure you are following Body and Soul on social media. Body and sooul dot com dot you is also the place to go for more info. Grab our print edition, which is out in your local Sunday paper and until tomorrow, and stay healthy ish