Speaker 1: Our next guest is it Titan of the Australian music industry.
Speaker 2: Miss The heights of his talents are batched only perhaps by the height of his head.
Speaker 1: And he's very told by please welcome to the show's.
Speaker 3: Try Hello, good morning, good morning, thanks for love the intro.
Speaker 4: Welcome joining us.
Speaker 3: It's good to be back in Melbourne.
Speaker 4: Are living in Spain?
Speaker 5: Yeah most of the time? I mean yeah, yeah, we do about half and half are a bit more than half in Spain, Barcelona, Bona.
Speaker 6: You need someone to house sip for the other part of the year you're not there?
Speaker 5: I should, I should, Yeah, I should get someone in there and we wouldn't charge too much rent.
Speaker 2: So is there anything that you do when you come back to Melbourne that you missed doing? Like what do you do? I mean, footy's coming up? But are you played footy? To go to footy matches?
Speaker 3: All the rest?
Speaker 5: Just like well, I just I appreciate this, the ability to go to any cafe and be understood. And I'm kind of like I can speak a little bit of Spanish, No not bilingual. I can speak a bit and I can kind of get by. But it's just like simple things like just community, just like getting an appointment or like getting someone, like getting a plumber here is just so easy and just you know, I know it's not very romantic, but what do I like? I honestly, I just love the fresh air. I love the parks. There's I feel a bit like locked in in the city.
Speaker 4: And it's a big city, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I met my wife there six years ago and so we were I was on tour, I had a couple of shows and I met her just kind of, you know, for a date, and then she's from there. She's actually from Turkey, but she she was living there, and then I just kept visiting, going back, and then eventually it was like, you know, set up there a little bit. And so yeah, that time has gone quickly, and but I'm trying slowly to just like show the best of Melbourne. And so we're staying in Fitzroy and it's a good area to.
Speaker 4: Bring because you were a Melbourne boy.
Speaker 7: And I don't know if you remember this, but once upon a time we played in a mixed netball team together.
Speaker 4: You feel here on my team.
Speaker 3: I don't have a cool nickname.
Speaker 4: No, if we had a name, it was all my Uni mats.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, and you were really good. I got a bit whiteline fever potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Because it was mixed, it's like an even more. It's like, Wow, I get to play with all these cute girls, so that.
Speaker 7: I was cute once upon a time. But that was a long time ago. When I was at Union. I remember then when you took off in the music industry. I was like, hang on a second, that's the extra is.
Speaker 3: That wing attack? Yeah? I don't think he's coming back next.
Speaker 7: I think you won the hottest one that year or the year after, and I was like, hang on a.
Speaker 3: Second, attack.
Speaker 5: Are you quite competitive? I am a bit competitive? Like, look, when I think about playing AFL football, like I think there might be a limit to my competitiveness. Like it sounds like it's not like a very goo cool that I'm going crazy in mixed netball. But just like you know, just like basketball, soccer, football, but when it gets really hardcore intense football, I just kind of something in me is like a little bit not all the way in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very athletic.
Speaker 2: Now you're a bit of a softy because you're you're a girl dad, right, what's it like being a girl, dad, And what's it like touring with your daughters.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 5: Like, look, there's a lot of it puts things in perspective, being like traveling as a family, like.
Speaker 3: For tour, like how old she's two years old too.
Speaker 5: And so just like everything else is more important than the actual show. So it's like the packing the bags, sleeping naps and you know, my wife and are we rested and whatever, and so by the time I get to the show, it's like I'm just hanging with a band. It's like the easiest thing in the world. It's like we're just this is just a take because it's just so it has put that in perspective. I used to like, I wouldn't complain, but I would just wouldn't appreciate how fun just being a sound checken and just being silly is.
Speaker 4: But you're on too with Ed cheering at the moment.
Speaker 7: And he's also with dad and he's very family orientated, so imagine it must be nice being on a tour with someone who's like minded when it comes to family first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think so he's he's pretty inspiring, and yeah, I feel like that's It took me a while to get not to get to this point just happened naturally, but it just feels like why would I put anything in front of that? And also just like at this point, I feel pretty content with where I'm at with music, so any new music is a bonus. This tour is an absolute bonus. Like, what a pleasure to be opening big for Ed Sheeran at these big shows.
Speaker 6: So how does something like that come about? Like I know Sabrina Rackman for Taylor when she was out here.
Speaker 3: You've opened for Taylor, haven't you. Yeah? Yeah that was about ten years ago. Yeah, that was. I mean, these things I think. Look, honestly, I'm very I've.
Speaker 5: Got great management and and I have to thank Matt Giddinski as well for really putting me in the mix, and he's got a great relationship with Ed and so you know, it's just I just feel like totally lucky, and I'll always just be so down to open for any artists like Edits.
Speaker 3: Do you guys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, to get along well much to do with each other. Yeah, it is a great block.
Speaker 3: He's a great guy.
Speaker 5: He's and just watching his show, I just keep kind of loving more and more, like just like what he kind of stands for and all the things he does outside of music beyond just like making music that everyone loves. It's like he like has you know, made music like you know approachable for so many kids in England. And we had a nice encounter actually the first show in Auckland, I walked out into the hallway. We had a very nice spontaneous meeting, which is exactly what you want, Like, I don't want to be told on meeting Ed Sheeran.
Speaker 3: In ten minutes.
Speaker 4: First time you met.
Speaker 5: We met like ten years ago at a charity thing, but it was like the fresh meeting and it was just perfectly spontaneous and I didn't have to think about what I'm going to say or get sweaty hands and all that stuff.
Speaker 6: You hit him up and go hey, can I have the remote for that little electric bridge that comes out.
Speaker 7: I do love in Australian tours when big stars like it like great Sure Taylor had Sabrina carp so that's one thing, but having an Australian art on that big stage in that huge crowd.
Speaker 4: I love it when when Ossie artists are supported.
Speaker 3: Like that totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he definitely has done that repeatedly, like I think Missy Higgins opened another year you had bug and they did a song together. He has a guy named Aaron Rowe at the moment who's from Ireland. But I think he really looks for artists that he likes and wants to support them and give them the States.
Speaker 2: So Marvel Stadium tomorrow night. Do you have family, friends, ticket requests, all the rest of it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get I get like it's just like you know everyone but an all immediate family and friends and that pretty much takes everything up. But every now and then you get someone you haven't seen for ten years, like what's going on?
Speaker 6: Like the reson? The reason Clint's asking is because he got a plus one and he's invited.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, next ticket, let's see what we can do.
Speaker 6: Hey, well, you know we're debating this yesterday, Ruth open or closed at Marvel.
Speaker 5: I don't know, maybe rufe open. I don't know what the what's the best result is? But I think if it's not raining, then we go, yeah, we're shooting, We're gonna be there's going to be some fireworks and stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know. If it's better.
Speaker 4: Open'll be doing that and now let's move on. From Dune. What's next for you after this tour?
Speaker 5: Honestly, I'm pretty chill, like I think, just head down, do some songwriting I've got. The schedule is clear and so I'm not going to.
Speaker 3: Put anything in that. Stay for a bit or are you back?
Speaker 5: Well, stay stay here for a little while for a bit of holiday stuff and then back to Spain.
Speaker 3: Do you back for what? Bombers? Okay, well that's.
Speaker 5: Back to Barcelona, the Barcelona bombers.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: It's good to see mate and looking forward to seeing it on stage tomorrow night Marble Stadium, supporting it your advance joy on the air with us this morning.
Speaker 4: We should get the netball team back together.
Speaker 5: Let's get it back, Douglas, let's get let's call him care for what it was?
Speaker 3: Lauren? Wake up feeling good.
Speaker 4: Follow on the socials.