Speaker 1: Apogee Production.
Speaker 2: Jawn jessper Jensen. He was a granddad and a loving father to his two daughters. His wife had died, and although he had some medical conditions and had suffered depression a few days before he disappeared, he was said to be in good spirits and chirpy. Head back to the previous three episodes to hear how the story's unfolded. On Tuesday, the twenty seventh of June twenty seventeen, police make a public appeal for information around Jawn's disappearance.
Speaker 3: Any informations from the great appreciating Yeah, it's a beautiful granddad.
Speaker 4: One now, they say it's completely unlike the widower to go out for so long without making contact.
Speaker 2: That night, his empty car is found an hour and seventeen minutes away in a sleepy fishing town called Anselm. Police are able to pull CCTV records of the highways on the trip and spot a car that looks like Jawn's, but the images are grainy and it's impossible to see who's driving the car and if there are any passengers. There is one thing that's crystal clear. It's the car that's found outside the Lanslam Beach Hotel is Jawns and he's not in it. Joe Burr is the investigating officer in charge of the case in wa. Joe was instrumental in writing the brief for the coroner, and he told me about the forensics that were done once Jawn's car had been found.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's correct, so we the steering will and the headrest of the vehicle were actually forensically analyzed. Obbs were sent off for analysis and it did come back that mister Jensen's DNA was located on the steering wheel of the vehicle. It's not something that we do in every mis in person case. It comes down to those initial investigative critical decisions that are made at that point. I guess they're looking at every possible avenue that this investigation could go down. So I think it was a good decision to take those swabs because you know, it wasn't known at the time how they were going to come back, but and what other supporting evidence could be located further down the line that could mean that that DNA swab was important. But we did get a mixed profile on the steering wheel, but that's not unusual in itself because Obviously, with most vehicles, you have a number of people driving the car and your hands are a good source on the steering wheel of leaving DNA in that location. There was DNA located on the steering wheel that we didn't get.
Speaker 4: A match on.
Speaker 5: But you know, black could come back to anyone. You could be looking at mechanics, service centers, family members, neighbors, anybody that's been in that vehicle. So the location of mixed profile there isn't in itself something that we need to be suspicious about.
Speaker 2: So a mixed profile essentially means someone else's DNA in the car. Both the two daughters of Jehorn Jensen's DNA were also taken and they were excluded from the two other matches in the car. Is that right?
Speaker 5: So their DNA wasn't wasn't a match there. Quite often we take nets of kin DNA not only for that forensic purpose, but also for the possible future identification of any any located human remains. So we would usually take the nets of kin DNA, and that's an action that should be taken in most long term miss in persons. Up it was there was no match per se with the DNA that was located on that steering wheel with the daughters.
Speaker 2: Both daughters had said that they had driven the car before, but they also said that partners had also driven John's car, and mister Jensen's neighbors had also driven his car at some point. So it's feasible that they could be from a myriad of different people.
Speaker 5: Anything that touches anything else, you know, you could even somebody's DNA could be on that steerweel that hasn't even driven the car. If someone was to shake hands with somebody and then step into their car. You know, the DNA is a wonderful tool, but it's not always on its own something that can be used to solve a case.
Speaker 2: Bell told us that she employed a forensic scientists herself. He was critical of the fact that the police didn't retain mister Jensen's car for more thorough forensic examination, which he said was should have been tested the vehicle driver side footwell and its boots. Did you have a view on that at the time.
Speaker 5: I actually think, compared to the vast array of other miss in person cases that I deal with, they actually went above and beyond what would usually be done at the initial scene of a missing person vehicle, because what the forensic officer was I guess looking at at that time is purely from a position of that there could be some criminality involved in this. But the initial assessment of the investigation that continues to this day is that no evidence of any criminality has been located. So if you were looking at it as a crime scene, then yes, if you were looking at it it's solely a miss in person case, where you have no supporting evidence that somebody else has driven that vehicle, then I wouldn't necessarily concur with that opinion because they have had the foresight to swab the steering wheels, to swab their head wreck. We can always look back on these things with hindsight, and obviously certain things have been raised that it would be it would be prudent now to look back and be able to swab the football, for example, But the critical decision at the time was that that was not necessary, and I haven't seen any corroborating evidence that says that would show anything different for what we currently have.
Speaker 2: Bell also confirmed to me that it is very likely her DNA would have been in the car and in the house, and that a sister had stayed over a dad's many times to keep an eye on him.
Speaker 6: Look, there was a mattress. It was set up in opposite to where that foot spar.
Speaker 4: Was sort of set up, but it was, you know, a bit of a weird spot. But yes, my sister, I'll be honest, she did say that she would go over there and keep an eye on him and when he was going through rough times and stuff like that. So yeah, she said she was obviously sleeping there. But strange enough, the DNA sampen wasn't strong enough because both of us, due to my forensic investigator expert, you know, luckily, we pushed for them to take our DNA because I said, well, surely we should be doing that, especially if down the track, if we do find him, you know, you want to have that DNA on file, right, So we were trying to exclude everyone. So yeah, we both had our DNA, and but yeah, strange enough, they couldn't They couldn't include or exclude her as being the other DNA that was found.
Speaker 2: On that bad Police also state in the Kindness report there was no evidence of a cleanup in an attempt to conceal or deceive evidence.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 4: Look, there was comments from one particular officer at the time where he sort of had eluded that he did part of his initials, you know, said he didn't look like there was a.
Speaker 6: Cleanup or some sort of cleanup.
Speaker 4: But at that point I think he was thinking maybe he's tried to clean it up just to get to the hospital, I'm assuming, But no, it.
Speaker 6: Was very much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the scene was unusual, and I guess they were sort of a soy. No, No, it didn't didn't look like a cleanup, but it was odd that there was no blood at all found from this one particular area. You know, if he's walked out of the house, there would have been blood either through the lounge on the carpet, or through the tiles, or in the football of the car, especially after driving an hour seventeen. You know, if he's adrenaline, if he's adrenaline's pumping, wouldn't wouldn't that be you know, you.
Speaker 6: Would think you would find blood elsewhere.
Speaker 2: There was no blood in the.
Speaker 3: Car, and there was no blood in the car, And he actually was on blood thinning medication at the so his ability to be able to stop the bleeding would have been very limited. So we would expect that to be blood in the car.
Speaker 2: It's important to state that we're not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing in this podcast. We're simply stating some points of view that don't necessarily agree with each other. Police are very clear that there doesn't seem to be any criminality involved in the case of the missing man John Jensen, Darren and Bell don't agree on this point.
Speaker 4: I think he was murdered. No, I, one hand, on my heart believe he was murdered.
Speaker 2: If something untoward did happen to Jasper, there would have had to been a motive, something that stood out and possibly could lead to police investigating a different path, or more sinister path. I asked Joe Burr about John's bank records and his financial situation.
Speaker 5: The issue when you're looking back at somebody's financial records is you never you're never prudent to the transactions or the conversations or the agreements that people have with family, with people they know, so it's always difficult to look back and think that certain things do look amiss. There there was transactions like normal transactions, like anybody's accounts, but there was there was obviously agreements in place with people and it's not up to me, you know, I can't talk about somebody else's financial situation. But there wasn't anything necessarily that meant to us that there was any link to his finances to the disappearance of mister Jensen.
Speaker 2: What we can see from the kind of support that he's had a few bank accounts. One was with IG and was dormant since twenty fourteen. Then he had an every day account with NAB and the last time that was touched before his disappearance was the nineteenth of June, which was six days before his disappearance, and the son was three hundred dollars. Bell had mentioned in our chat that a dad was very a creature of habit. He would have the same dinner every night, he would do the same things very often. He would sit in the front room watch tally, and he would often visit the bank on the same day. And from her perspective, she said that his visits to the bank over the last sort of three to four months became a little more sporadic and random, if you like, with different amounts. Did police investigate anything prior to his disappearance and the transactions across his bank accounts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did look at it. We usually next to see what the run is. If a missing personal investigation goes long term, we will try and create some kind of victimology, some kind of gauge of that person's life and their usual activities. I can't disagree with Belle obviously. You know I was never fortunate enough to meet missus Jason, and I'm sure she knows that that's very well, so I wouldn't disagree with her assessment of that. But it's impossible from an investigator's point of view to actually determined that any change of activity is due to anything untoward. You know, we certain people are people have habit, like you say, but our lives change, and certain conversations happen, and certain routes you go down different routes to what you might have done before. So you know, there's no evidence there. There's no evidence that I've seen that suggests that any kind of visit to ATM anything untoward has happened that has then led to his disappearance.
Speaker 2: Now, Bell, I guess doesn't share the same view. She has a more sinister view of what has occurred, and I know she shared that with you numerous times. Is there any evidence from a police perspective and from the corner's report that is in line with Bells thinking that something more sinister happened to her father.
Speaker 5: Well, my heart goes out to Bell and Darren and the rest of the family. Going through this kind of situation is everybody's worst nightmare, there's no and it's hard as an investigator of miss person cases because you can't give people the resolution that they need. And until you can give them a resolution, until you reached that conclusion, anything that happens is not necessarily one hundred percent accurate. And the issue you have as a family member is you never actually know. So I will I always applaud Belinda and Darren for keeping up the intensity of the investigation and for you know, looking out for their father and wanting to find the truth. But in reality, I think when I look at all of the information, all of the evidence that I concur with the currenter that well, the current is given an open verdict, but that is to be expected because we don't actually know. We don't have cast iron evidence of what happened on that day, but we also don't have any evidence, in my opinion, to suggest that any any criminal activity has taken place and any criminal activity has led to missus Jensen's disappearance. When you're looking at a missing personal investigation, you look at the criminality aspects, you look at the misadventure aspect, and you look at the possible self harm aspects. And I, personally, based on now I've been dinning with this case for a long time, I can't say that self harmer's taking place. I don't know that self palmer's taking place, and I would hate to offend the family in any way by indicating that somebody that we don't know as investigators have the intense self harm. We don't know that happens. People get disorientated, that could have happened. We don't know that that happened. But obviously the element you know, we we're missing Persentine. We're part of the homicide squad because I have to be in a location where if we determine any criminality, we work with homicide squad detectives to reach the resolution and to find somebody responsible for the criminality. And the reality is as hard as we have looked and we have investigated this, there's no evidence I believe that there has been any of that criminal activity has taken part in this disappearance.
Speaker 2: As I've mentioned throughout this podcast, Belle and her big sister don't talk anymore. In fact, I don't think it's overstating the point to say they dislike each other. It's sad because as I look back through photos of these two little blonde girls playing with their big mountain of a dad sitting on his shoulders at a family holiday in nineteen eighty seven in Melbourne, it's not hard to imagine how close they once were. We've refrained from mentioning her name in this podcast, which will continue to honor as Belle mentioned, this is her story. We do have a copy of Belle's sister's police statement that was made on the thirtieth of June twenty seventeen. It states lots of facts, the fact that her dad owned his house on Rainbow View in Ocean Reef outright, that he was financially supported by his super that her relationship with her dad was close and they would see him almost every second day and they would speak every day. John's eldest daughter also mentioned that she would stay at a dad's house when he was feeling low, and that she would sleep in a bed made up in the lamb's room. Sometimes at those sleepovers she would take his keys and his medication and put them next to her overnight. She says as a precaution in her words to police, I.
Speaker 1: Don't believe he would have ever done anything to hurt himself. He just needed my company.
Speaker 2: In point thirteen of her statement, which was made in Lancelain while the searches took place, she mentions that she'd taken a dad to her family doctor and he was reducing the dose of neuronton, the drug that might have added to his depression. We've used an actress to read parts of her statement.
Speaker 1: He stopped taking it all together at least three weeks ago. Since Dad stopped taking that medication, he had not spoken again of suicide.
Speaker 2: This was not the only statement that Belle's sister made. On the fourteenth of December twenty seventeen, she made another statement to police. It covers some of the same detail, However it's much longer and it was made to a detective in Perth. She talked of her dad's immense pain in that statement.
Speaker 1: I remember when Dad's feet got so painful. At times, he would bash his broken wrist to try and take away the pain. He told me he would hit it because he wanted to take the pain away from his feet. Dad became very emotional in the last year and would talk about Mam a lot. He would cry at different times and would tell me he missed her. He would also just cry about his situation and that he couldn't do anything because of his feet.
Speaker 2: She also mentions to police that at the time of his disappearance he was on around fifteen different types of medication, and she details some of his suicidal thoughts.
Speaker 1: In the last at least twelve months. Once a week Dad would mention what I believe were suicidal thoughts. He would say things like why am I here, I've got no life? What's the point? That would be on his low days, but I could perkin cheer him back up. He would also say things in a joking manner to me. On numerous occasions, he would say, Geez, the pain was so bad last night that Camery looked good. I could have got the hose out. He would also text me and write me messages in private message at night on that game Words with friends. He would write things at sometimes four in the morning, like I can't take this anymore. I can't take the pain. The pills aren't working, and my feet are on fire. He would also sometimes call me on my mobile and would be crying, not being able to talk. I would go straight up and stay with him on those nights and try and make him feel better. When I would stay with him, I would hide the keys to his car and medication in bed with me so that he didn't do anything silly. Up until Dad went missing, I was at his home almost every night, wast every night, every night, every night.
Speaker 2: Jawn's finances have been a matter of discussion for the sisters. Nothing suspicious has been noted by police. In her statement, Belle's sister says that on the day she went to her dad's house after he was reported missing, she walked through the house. I was in complete shock.
Speaker 1: There was blood in Dad's footbath and blood all over the floor on the tiles. I was in complete shock. I was made aware that the police had been contacted the previous night. At some stage, I noticed that Dad's medicines were all accounted for because they were on the bench. I went into his bedroom and noticed his wallet and hearing aids were on a set of drawers. His iPad was there in the lounge room near his seat. Dad had a Christmas cardboard box underneath a side table in the front laund room which contained Dad's cash money. Inside the box was four thousand dollars in cash fifty dollar notes, which I grabbed whilst Belinda and were present. I took the cash money home and paid bills with that money. I have all the receipts for the money I spent on bills.
Speaker 2: Belle's recollections of a dad's bank accounts, of his financial position, and her knowledge of her father and how he used money is important. As the police explained, it's impossible to know how a families spend their money before something like this happens. Financial affairs are normally very private. Bell is careful about accusing anyone of anything criminal. When I asked her about her dad's bank accounts, that's.
Speaker 6: A tricker one. That's a tricker one. I gotta be careful what I will say. And I think it's important to say this and I have it right because this is my dad. This is my story.
Speaker 4: This is what happened the friday before my dad went missing.
Speaker 6: I popped in on my way home.
Speaker 2: From work.
Speaker 4: He was holding an AHM slip in his hand and he said, Bendy, this person is a stole of my money, and this particular ATMs. I didn't see how much was in his bank account at the time, and I didn't realize it's a verity of it. I knew we had some financial issues sort of leading up to that period, and I didn't realize this verity of the problem at that time, but I also thought I'd have time to sort it out, so so yeah, some at the time, he only had sort of I think it was twelve hundred and forty six dollars left in his bank account, and I would have thought he would have had thousands, like hundreds of thousands, like he used to have a savings account.
Speaker 6: We should have had hundreds.
Speaker 4: Of thousands in it, and for him I didn't have just over one thousand dollars. Did not make sense.
Speaker 3: Both of his bank accounts were bled of them.
Speaker 6: It was nothing.
Speaker 4: But again I was told because nothing came, nothing was taken out after the fact, that that doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: When you say bled dry transferred to someone, given to someone.
Speaker 3: Well, he had sorry, he had a savings account through Y and G which had over. I once said, had one hundred thousand dollars, but that's what he used to pay for his holidays or whatever out of But there was a seventy seventy four thousand dollars transfer for a holiday apparently that he never went on. So we can't explain that. It just says seventy four thousand dollars transfer holiday, dash resleep. But Bell booked all these holidays and that he didn't go on holidays, not a holiday for seventy four thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Where was that transfer made too?
Speaker 3: It was made to another one of his accounts, and then from that account a check was written out in someone's name.
Speaker 2: Was your dad wealthy?
Speaker 4: Look, he wasn't wealthy, he was he you know, he.
Speaker 6: He had plenty of money.
Speaker 4: He even said to me at one point, you know, because he's very old school, you know, it was always pay off your mortgage first. Don't use the ATM all the time, you know, back in the day when he used to get you know, fees from using ATMs.
Speaker 6: He's always had plentying.
Speaker 4: You always had least three hundred cash in his wallet, you know, always he actually kept money at his at his property for a rainy day and at one point he goes helps you up.
Speaker 7: To like eighty thousand dollars. He had eighty thousand dollars kept in his at home and you know he had money. He had he could go on all the holidays. I mean he worked hard as the labor to you know, he had had a mortgage since the eighties because we built it. He built his own house with his own you know, in Woodvales, so he wasn't in debt.
Speaker 6: He pretty much just had, you know.
Speaker 4: When we were on although it was a bit of a tight ask growing up, I looked, admit, but you know, if you were on holidays and all that, that's when you knew that.
Speaker 6: You know, he saw me sitting there in South Africa.
Speaker 4: I was like, I want that egg that, you know, one of those email things that I really wanted money and he ended up just buying it for me. You know, He's like, don't be silly, you know, and you know, things like that. So he didn't spend money previously. He was very cautious with his money and so he had he should have had a lot more money than what he did have when he went Missy.
Speaker 2: Did police investigate the transfers of money.
Speaker 4: Look again, I I reported it first to the first officer because obviously, after eight months it was the case was handled over to SUTN Joseph. But prior to that, the investigator I rang him as soon as basically when I got a strange from my sister. There was alarm bells and we had an incident, and I was like, oh my god, I got to get a bank statement, and I just went around to Dad's every day, and thank god, I finally got one of his edit his final anab statement, And that's when it hit me what that Friday conversation was all about, because there was a lot of Although you look at it and maybe from the police perspective, no, maybe it doesn't look that bad. But when you see a fifty dollars ATM transaction when this man's not driving, so he's driven, you know, gone with Whiford's, and this man's got thousands of dollars at his house already and he's not going out or doing anything, and you've got transactions for three hundred and then going back an hour later and going get another three hundred.
Speaker 6: Out what the you know?
Speaker 4: He he was He was a creature habit. He did get at a certain amount at a certain time, and you could see these patterns change. I've put every transaction into a spreadsheet, extrapolated every bloody report you possibly can, and you can.
Speaker 6: See a change.
Speaker 4: You see when he was going, it'd go at a certain time, almost to the like two o'clock on a Friday, for example, do you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Then it turned into in the last six.
Speaker 4: Months, there was no consistency and there were a lot of transactions, and even in that last since the fall, I think had been taken out and I'm like, why he had money next to him and at that point he wasn't going anywhere, He wasn't playing golf, he wasn't what was he spending the money on.
Speaker 2: Did you hand this over to police?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I read police as soon as I had his, and they came out. They came out to my house, but I was pretty much told that no money's gone out after the fact, you know. So he's basically if he whatever he wanted to do with his money is his choice and it was his decision. I guess it was looked upon that I was had animosity or that I was worried that you know someone else was getting money and I wasn't, but I wasn't the case.
Speaker 3: I'm fortunately sorry to interopic, but unfortunately when you mentioned money, it starts to sound like a civil matter. It sounds like, yeah, money, but I'm forced in this situation. We're trying to find out what's happened to a man, and this man's money had gone missing. They said two things. They said, no money has gone since, and that it doesn't mean that this person that we're talking about has done it. And pretty much the only thing we can see as far as the investigation that money goes as one email, which was sent to someone we can't say, and that was basically saying that there seems to be a lot of spending going on, a lot of a lot of money going out of accounts. Basically, did your dad sorry, did he owe any money? Did just borrow any money? So that but that's all we seem to know as far as the investigation went. They didn't want to know about the money we just got. Told us the civil matter doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 2: Did your dad have any gambling issues anything?
Speaker 4: God no, If he enjoyed going to the casino, but he was one of these blokes that would just down there and watch it. You know, he enjoyed just and you know, but he went too hard for his money. You know, he wasn't no and he did not owe any money. He didn't have a mortgage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, straight out to know in the next episode, and did the psyche to study anything?
Speaker 6: He did. Look, I didn't sort of get a reading.
Speaker 4: It was sort of one of those, you know, fairly intimate little settings where you know.
Speaker 6: He'll go around reading people. And I kept putting my.
Speaker 4: Hand up right at the very end, and then he put me and obviously, you know, sort of started to sort of connect down whatever. And then you could see him instantly, Yeah, look quite ill, and just went what what's happened? What? And then he goes, was your dad murdered? And I said, well, it's still under investcabe. You know, we haven't found his body. And he goes, I can't talk to you about this in front of everyone else. You know, I'll talk to you after the seminar.
Speaker 8: He's also showing you people taking people have got in. What there was males that have got into the people getting or taking or have dune get in. It's like there's a group of males that have got He's gone, he's deceased, but the way that he passed or the way it's like somebody has taken him or got him. That's what I mean when with a life.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what pod shape really cares about. Right now, there's thousands of people listening to this show and our other True Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.