Speaker 1: I'll get Agarouba's welcome to another installing the new project. It's it's bloody twenty twenty five. That's what it is. It's bloody twenty twenty five. It's January one, and only losers would record a podcast on January one, on New Year's Day. And the three losers today are David Gillespie, Tiffany and called Craig Anthony Harper.
Speaker 2: Hello, Tiv, I'm a winner, mate, I'm a winner. Hello, Well you are a winner. Dave's winner too, call him Dave.
Speaker 1: I feel like, no, I'm not a big fan of me called Dave.
Speaker 3: People do call me that and I never correct them.
Speaker 1: But I'm correcting. Yeah, I'm with you. I'm not a fan, I don't, you know. To all the Daves, I apologize. But if I was David, I would rather be called David.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, I think it's always a good idea to pay attend to what people call themselves. You know, if I run around saying introducing myself as Dave, then feel free to call me Dave.
Speaker 1: But I never did, right, right. I think that's probably a good rule of thumb. I think that's probably a good social kind of to tick, so you pay attention to what people call it. A tiff.
Speaker 3: For example, I call Tiff, and I'm not certain that's right because on her screen she has Tiffany.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking this. I introduced myself as Tiffany, but I prefer most people call me Tiff, and I've just started changing things to tiff, like in written form.
Speaker 1: What is that? That's because I mean, you do have a very fancy spelling of your name, which is two e's on the end. I don't know that fancy.
Speaker 2: I am very fancy.
Speaker 1: You're about as fancy as a fucking ug boot. That's how fancy you are.
Speaker 2: You know that my Motorbix called Emily with two e's on the end.
Speaker 1: Now of course, Oh wow, we're anthropomorphizing our vehicles, now, are we? Although my mum has done. All of her cars have had names, and they've all been girl cars, so I can't say I'm unfamiliar. What's that?
Speaker 2: My first car was Lucy.
Speaker 3: I can't. I've heard a lot of people name their cars. I don't think I ever heard anyone give their current a man's name. You don't think people referring to their currents.
Speaker 1: That's Steve, that's that's Brian the Honda accord. It doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it. I wonder what that is. There's some research for you before we talk about who the fuck knows what without giving away any family secrets or revealing any data that you don't want to. What's news even news day look like in the Gillespie household or for the remaining members?
Speaker 3: Well, the remaining members were just my wife and I yesterday, because you know, with adult children, they've all got something much better and cooler to do than hang around with their parents. And yeah, so you know, we're just at the beach, went down, caught the fireworks that are on the beach, and today I'm mostly sitting around doing nothing, which is my idea of a good time.
Speaker 1: Well, accuble you write, is this a book we already know about? Or yeah, I know that's the one we already know about. That's the one about adhd Yep. What's the what's the ETA on publication for that? I don't know.
Speaker 3: It really depends, really depends what the publisher thinks of this manuscript. But we'll see how we go.
Speaker 1: Surely by that now they just go, yeah, whatever, we're going to publish it. It's not like you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I like to see a manuscript to know, you know, where in the year it's going to be published, you know, all that marketing year.
Speaker 1: Is this the one that is that you're building around stories?
Speaker 3: No, that was the last one I wrote, which was the one about the stories about psycho And yeah, I know that one is the one in the market at the moment. And now this one is more about talking about what a lot of people are describing as ADHD, which is lack of focus and you know, the massive increase in diagnosis of adult ADHD and all that sort of thing, and looking at you know, what's causing that. And we've talked about bits and pieces of this a lot over time, but more importantly talking about what to do about it other than take drugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is I mean? Well, this wasn't where we're going, but it doesn't matter where we go. It's newsday. What are the common misconceptions around ADHD?
Speaker 3: I think one of the really common ones is that you're born with it and there's nothing you can do about it, you know, you know, it's just the way I was born.
Speaker 1: But that's just nonsense. It really is.
Speaker 3: For the vast majority of ADHD cases, or at least the things being diagnosed as ADHD. The rates the rates of this condition have gone through the roof, The rates of diagnosis of drugs for this condition have gone through the roof. If it's something that people are born with, then it's a pretty weird thing that suddenly the incidence of it is changing really dramatically. So but the alternative to that that's often put about is well, if you're not born with it, then I guess these people are imagining it, or they're wroarding the health system in some way, or you know, or it's just being made up. I don't think that's true either. I think the incidence is actually increasing very rapidly. But the cause of it is not a birth defect. It's what we're doing in our society, which is a combination of and massively increase addiction.
Speaker 1: And what about Do you think that nutrition plays a role in ADHD incidents or the prevalence or the growth in ADHD diagnoses.
Speaker 3: I think a partial role, in the sense that sugar addiction is definitely an underlying base layer to what a lot of people ultimately become addicted to. So yes, part of fixing this without drugs is removing sugar, but other aside from that.
Speaker 1: Now, I feel like, and this is not research anyone, and probably inaccurate, but I feel like for some people their inability to focus to concentrate is somewhat task or context dependent. I feel like, you know, for me, there are some things that I really struggle to like. Even with my research, there are bits of it where I'm like, I cannot like reading a paper that doesn't really interest me naturally interests me right versus I'm doing a thing at the moment called a risk of bias assessment for one hundred and ten papers. I've got this eight step protocol. It sounds horribly boring, but today I did nearly four hours of it and I was completely engrossed and immersed. And I looked up and it was four hours, and I went, where did that go? I feel like, with certain tasks or in certain capacities, I have amazing focus and concentration, and with other tasks or in other perhaps settings, not zero but you know, way less.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look absolutely, I mean, And part of the key to fixing what's being described as ADHD is to find those areas of what I'm calling in the book hyper focus, which is I think I think we're all capable of hyper focus, as you say, if you find the right thing, we're all capable of hyperfocus. The troublers at the moment. The easy thing to direct. Hyper focus is usually an addictive behavior. So people have the experience you just described when they're playing computer games, so they're intensely focused on it, they're un'ntable to leave it alone, and then they look up and you know, before you know it, four hours has gone by, which is of course part of the reason why they don't have clocks and casinos and why they don't have clocks on screen in computer games. So yes, there's a hyper focus, and it's both part of the cause of the problem if it's sent in the wrong direction, and I say, the cure of the problem. So you know, my preliminary title for this book is hyper focused, and it's you know, how to get more done in less time? And or the subtitle love come up with, and none.
Speaker 1: Of these will be kept by the publisher because they always hate. My marketing ideas.
Speaker 3: Is you know how to focus like it's nineteen ninety and that that's what I propose as part of the cure, which is find the thing that isn't addictive creates that state of high focus.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is I mean obviously it sounds simple. It can be both simple and difficult. But yeah, like if you could find that thing that can get somebody in that state of where they are focused, they are byper focused perhaps.
Speaker 3: But I'll make a guess about you and this research you were doing. When you got to the end of that four hours, did you feel you know, enlivened, supercharged or did you feel exhausted?
Speaker 1: I felt fucking great. And it's funny because I am not the best student, right, there's a shock, But when I'm learning something I want to learn, Like when I say I'm not, I'm probably actually quite a good student in certain capacities and environments. But in the traditional traditional academia kind of or academic setting and academic kind of processes, some of them they just do my head in because they're so pointless and inefficient, as you well know, right, no, go on, you can, yeah, but I've you know, there are some things where it took me a while to understand this particular thing that I have to do in analyzing. Sorry everyone for boring you. But this is just my day, the risk of bias assessment for all of these individual way that individual studies were done, and it's like one paper sometimes got six studies, so you've got to do six analysis or assessments in one paper. And you know, anyway, but I've kind of got into a rhythm and I've figured it out and I'm clear about what I'm doing, So my confidence has gone up my output. Like it was taking me one hour to do one paper, and you know, now I'm doing depending on how many studies are in each paper, but I might do three, four or five in an hour. It depends. But with that, you know, and so yeah, I guess too, when you feel like you're competent at something or you're actually making ground or for me anyway, there's a lot more joy in it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, and I think what you just described is exactly the way someone who can play a musical instrument well feels.
Speaker 1: After they have a session.
Speaker 3: So they go and they play the instrument for an hour or whatever, and they experience that hyper focus and then at the end of it they feel real euphoria, like someone's giving them drugs. It's not a grind. Whereas for me. If I tried to do that, I wouldn't feel euphoria. I'd feel extreme frustration because I can't play a musical instrument very well at all, and it's a grind for me. So you've got to find the area of hyperfocus. Your story actually reminded me of the way I did university, at least my undergraduate degree is. And I was often laughed at for this, but it was the only way I could do it. I never went to a lecture. This is back in the days when you were supposed to go to lectures and they can record them, and the only way to find out what happened at a lecture was to go to it, and I never did because I found that an extremely low bandwidth way to get information and it usually just put me to sleep. So, and this was in the days when they used to assess things with sort of seriously long exams at the end of a year. So year's worth of lectures with a really long exam at the end of it, and that was it. And I determined that the only real way that I could learn anything was to do nothing all year, and then in the two weeks prior to the exam, essentially cram the entire textbook usually written by the lecturer. So that's probably what the lecture lectures were about and hope for the best. But in that period that two weeks, that was two weeks of hyper focus. That was like really really disciplined. You read for two hours, then you take a break, and then you read for another two hours and then you take a break.
Speaker 1: You know. So it was done that way. So I want to know, by the way, kids don't do what David did it. Now I've seen my kids in university. You couldn't do it. They've got NonStop assessments and sign and all that, you know.
Speaker 3: They university is a lot more like high school these days and the way it's conducted.
Speaker 1: So when I did my first degree, which was one hundred years ago, but you know, so anatomy and physiology and biomechanics and energy systems and all the stuff that you actually have to commit to memory. You know, it's like because you're being assessed on functional anatomy. So we have this like a myriad of books. But where I would read the book, I'd kind of skim it and then I'd highlight the stuff that I thought I needed to know I'd do that for every chapter, and then I would record on CDs, right or floppy discs or whatever. I would record the stuff that I'd highlighted, and then I would play that in my car NonStop. You know. So I'd say, so there's there's four quad muscles, you know, rectis femeris.
Speaker 3: You know. Is that what you do when you don't have friends at university?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly, that is it inserts into the bloody patella tendon, which inserts into the tibi l tu vorosity or whatever it is. Right, I remembered it. I've remembered it. But I would just memorize all this shit. But then so it took me a while to download it. But then nearly everything that I memorized for exams back in the day, nearly everything I cannot get out of my head. Like, yeah, but once I learn, like I'm a slow learner, but once it's learned, I almost never unlearn it.
Speaker 3: I once saw us some research somewhere about that audio learning methodology, and I've tried it a few times myself, and it kind of works. And I think the research said you have to hear something seven times and really focus on it, listen to it seven times and then it will be memorized. So when I've really needed to memorize something, I sort of incantation seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, and it seems to work. Yeah, yeah, yeah almost. Yeah. I used to create stories around shit so I could or But this is different, but similar Like with people's names, if it was a difficult name, I've think of something that's you know, like a town or a place or a car or whatever, and I'd associate that image with that person. So even if I had no idea of what their name was, just looking at them, I could recall this image or this whatever association and then I would know from that because I couldn't remember their name, but I could remember the image that I had in my mind that I associated with that person.
Speaker 3: What's the image you've got in your mind for Tiffany.
Speaker 1: Well, for tiff, I've just got an ug boot for you. I've got the David and you know which is well, thank you, I think, which is maybe I don't know if you should be that platted It's right, I don't know. So so have you got any I mean, without giving away the book, because we're all going to buy. The book is going to be called hyper Focus.
Speaker 3: And probably not, because you know, when a publisher's marketing department gets these things.
Speaker 1: I haven't had one yet. I've read.
Speaker 3: I've written fourteen books and that have been published by publishers, and not one of them has come out with the same title I gave it.
Speaker 1: Tiff, can you look that up and see if there's a book called Hyperfocus? Please please idea. Yeah, let's check that. I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure that's a book. Well, every time I come up with a new title, I'm like, yeah, that's that's that's already there, is it there, Tiff.
Speaker 2: And someone Chris Bailey, Chris Bailey.
Speaker 1: Give us a snapshot, give us a little bit of a give us a snapshot of that, or a byline of what that book's about.
Speaker 2: Hyperfocus is a practical guy. Me, yeah, let me let me open the link. Hyperfocus had to be more productive in a world of distraction. Guide to managing your attention the most powerful resource you have to get stuff done, become more creative, and live a meaningful life.
Speaker 1: That sounds way too fluffy for Giles. More science. He will be a lot more research based respect to that guy, But it's ye. Dave published Tiffany.
Speaker 2: When was it published eighteen?
Speaker 1: Old school? Old school up today today? That's historic, that's pre covid, because that is that even real anymore it's in the stone, then it's not going to be called hyper focus. Are there any tips that you might share with us for not necessarily exploring the realm of the hyper but becoming just more focused and more what's the word effective at managing our attention in general? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like one of them is exactly the one you described, which is to find that thing. And for many people do have a thing like that, whatever it is, for a lot of people at sport, and that's perfectly fine too. It doesn't have to be an intellectual thing. It just has to be something that when you're doing it, the world passes you by entirely, where you're one hundred percent focus on that thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, and.
Speaker 3: You finish doing it whatever amount of time it takes, preferably at least an hour, and you come out of it almost euphoric from having devoted your entire attention to that. And the reason for that is that doing that causes the brain to produce a significant.
Speaker 1: Quantity of dopamine.
Speaker 3: More probably consistently than even pursuing things which are addictive that would normally produce dopamine spikes, and in essence, what this is is sort of like a method owned treatment for addiction in the sense what you're trying to do is generate homemade dopamine and to do that using things that also have other benefits to your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so home dopamine, that sounds like a good recipe.
Speaker 3: Well, all dopa means homemade. But this is self generated, I guess is a better way.
Speaker 1: It's not externally generated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and so you know, people might know of the concept of the runners high. For example, people talk about the runners high and they're so into running that they can't even miss a day, like you know, you know about it. For people who go to the gym, there are people who will really just get quite upset if they if they miss a regular gym session that they're they're keen on going to. And that's not everyone by every stretch. I mean, gyms make their money out of the rest of the population, which are the ones who buy memberships and go twice and then never go again. But there are people who very much get their value for money out of the gym because they can't miss a day, and they are in essence addicted to that dopamine rush they get from doing that intensely focused exercise.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny you say this. There's a I'll just say a young man at once, say his age, and I'll definitely not say his name. We'll call him. We'll call him Johane. It's not John. But I literally had a meeting with this young man two days ago, sitting in my garden about twenty feet from where I'm talking, and nobody knows what I'm talking about, so I can say this bit. He has significant body dysmorphia. He's completely obsessed with exercise and managing his food and all of these things like lovely dude, really good dude, but yeah and that and very smart, like he knows, he knows what he should be doing, but there's so much fear and anxiety. Like he trains twice a day, Like he has a full time job, an important job, smart, makes lots to do. He has to train twice a day. And I said to him, like, we have this whole chat and me, I've been borderline body dysmorphic over the years with stuff and all the Craig harba bullshit. But I said to him, all the starting point is that you just train once a day and just terror. I go, so, there's what you're comfortable to do, and there's the thing that you know you should probably do, right, And he goes, yeah, I know. And I said, look, you know, whatever you're going to do, you're going to do so this I mean, this thing it's actually you know, some people call it athletic andsa, this predisposition, or this addiction to not being able to even have a fucking day off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is an addiction, and it's a very real one. And he reacted exactly the same way that an addict would react who was an addict to anything else. So you go up to a fourteen year old gamer and say, yeah, look you're gaming eight hours a day. I want you to cut back to four. You get a similar reaction. Yes, and yeah. The real question is is the addiction doing harm? Is it impairing him in the rest of his life, you know? Or is it something that he can control and healthy manage?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Those are the they're the questions you've got to ask. I mean, because it just because it's an otherwise considered healthy thing to do to generate dopamine, like going to the gym, doesn't mean that if you take it to the extreme, it's any less potentially harmful for you than any other addiction.
Speaker 1: That is correct. And the amount of stress and anxiety he has, you know, he is under recovered, he's overtrained, he is undernourished.
Speaker 3: But that's the kind of thing that addiction does. I mean, addiction wouldn't matter that much if there weren't consequences in the sense that you know. I mean, you could say, oh, well, there are consequences for being a smoking addict. You die of lung cancer, okay, But those are consequences of the addiction delivery mechanism, the cigarette. If the only problem of addiction was that, then you'd say, okay, well, then we just put you on nicote patches and you're all good. You can load up on them for the rest of your life. You'll be at it, you'll be an addict to them. But who cares? It matters because addiction comes with a whole load of extra things, which essentially account for probably ninety percent of what we call mental ill health. You know, it cascades once you've got that addiction state in your brain. You've changed your tolerance level for dopamines so high that you need these hits all the time, which it sounds like this fellow has. Then that level, that delaposs B level is so high that you are anxious, paranoid, potentially psychotic, and if it goes further, ultimately schizophrenic and probably depressed all at the same time and ADHD when you're not at the gym. So it's all of that stuff which makes addiction matter. It isn't the addiction itself. And if you add all of that stuff up, you've just named ninety percent of the DSM.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And you know what else is interesting is in the middle of all of this stuff, like people who are have this kind of an addiction that revolves around a lot around appearance. You know, there's emotional, psychological, sociological, physiological variables and factors that all that shit, right, But I said to him, so, doing all the stuff that you do, all the rituals, all the you know, everything you know, does it make you happy? And he's like, Noah, you know, it's like, but nonetheless can't stop.
Speaker 3: All that I suspected you asked him a slightly different question, you get a different answer, which is if you asked him, when you are at the gym, when you are doing this and you're having a good workout, yeah, you feel normal. And I think the answer to that would be yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he'd probably say it's the only time I feel normal, which is why it's so distressing for him to hear you say he needs to do less of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I guess I know the answer to the next and final question I have for you. But I was telling tip before I did an interview today with the ABC, which they the ABC seem to ring me every New Year to talk to me about New Years resolutions, the efficacy thereof or lack of. Are you a I'm guessing no, But are you in New Year's resolution type of person? No?
Speaker 3: What's the point of making a resolution you're going to break with twenty four hours?
Speaker 1: I'm shocked. Well, they actually did a you know, a somewhat pointless study. It's I think it was Birmingham University or Brighton University in anyway, it was like eighty eight percent of people don't achieve what they set out. So I was surprised that that number wasn't higher I would have thought it would be close to one hundred of people. I would have thought, I mean people who go right January one, this is what I'm doing. And you know, when you think about I would say virtually everyone who sets a resolution wants that change to be permanent. Like no one says I want to get in shape for seven weeks, right, everyone says I want to be whatever it is, fit, a healthier, leaner, more productive, you know, smoke lesson I.
Speaker 3: Reckon the other twelve percent of the lawyers, you know, I you know where there there's a there's an asterisk after the resolution, you know, like I want to drink less asterisk without definitions of what you're drinking before and what you're planning to drink next.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sure there's a couple of loopholes in there for the legal brethren and sister and hey mate, thanks for thanks for chatting with us. Are you when are you going to I mean, are you working like your work's not a normal job anyway? Well, you do do a normal job, but when are you back to your proper, real grown up job?
Speaker 2: Next?
Speaker 1: Next Monday? Next Monday. I take a couple of weeks off for Christmas.
Speaker 3: And try and get some serious writing done. Hey, just out of curiosity, what were we going to talk about today?
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about how Australia never runs out of money or how.
Speaker 3: They go We're going to do We've got to do that because that is an interesting topic.
Speaker 1: That really is.
Speaker 3: We don't have to do it today, save it up for the next time if you want It'll keep But I think that's a very interesting topic. Why, you know, why do we keep getting told we can't afford stuff when we have absolutely no trouble affording the things the government wants to afford, like submarines and those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: I can do it tomorrow if you're a free But let's say goodbye for now and we'll chat briefly off fair. Hey mate, thanks for thanks for your wisdom and insight. As always, no worries. Thanks guys,