Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday March twenty six, twenty twenty six. Israel believes it's joint assault on Iran with the United States has degraded the Iranian regime and caused chaos and ill discipline, with soldiers now refusing to launch missiles. Pope Leo has personally chosen a Catholic bishop from New South Wales to become an archbishop. He's also appointed Anthony randats So to a plum job in the Vatican. Those exclusives are live now at Theaustralian dot com dot a U. We hear a lot about how the crisis in the Middle East is going to cause wild inflation or even recession, and today we're getting granular on exactly how a substance called resin, which is made from crude oil, is critical for making plastic but thanks to the war, resin is running low around the world. That means Australian packaging companies are having to bump up their prices and that affects every product we buy. Our retail expert Eli Greenblat is here in just a moment. Eli Green Blad is a senior business reporter with The Australian and he's a resident expert on retail and that means he's very busy right now covering the impact on everything that we buy from the conflict in Iran. Everything that we buy is either in a cardboard box or a can or a bit of plastic wrapping. And it turns out that most of those wrapping products come from one of two Victorian billionaire families who are they Yes.
Speaker 2: Everything we touch and see has a component of oil and has plastic, and plastic is really made from resin, which is a biproduct of oil. And the families or the companies we're talking about really are Busy and just so very large packaging recycling companies and Packed Group which is owned by Raphael and Fiona Gaminda. Fiona Gaminda being the sister of Anthony Pratt from the prep Early and the owner of Busy and Pratt Industries, so they're very large packaging companies. Both of them together have tens of thousands of customers all over Australia and throughout the world who rely on their packaging, on their manufacturing to make the products that house their own products. And that could be fresh food, it could be packaged food, it could be dishwashing liquid, it could be medicines, vitamins, prescription drugs. So really that packaging is very important. And to make that packaging, you've got to have resin. And to have the resin, you need the oil. You need access to the oil first of all to make the resin, but you need access to that resin at a reasonable price. And that's becoming a problem now where these companies can't get access to that resin and if they can get access to the resin, is at an incredibly high price or a fast moving higher price.
Speaker 1: One of the intriguing things that this Iran war has revealed, i think ela is how little preparation there seems to be for some kind of disaster like this. In Australia anyway, we don't have a large stockpile of fuel. For example, we don't have a huge stockpile of diesel, despite warnings over the years that that's something that we needed to do. It's intriguing to me that this critical component of something that makes the economy go, I mean, nothing could be delivered without some form of packaging to anywhere, whether it's a home or a supermarket or a corner store. It's interesting that it's so quick for the resin to be in short.
Speaker 2: Supply, Yes, and so quickly. You look at other countries, We've got hundreds of days of oil supply, strategic reserves. I heard this morning, Try has got about one point three billion barrels of oil set aside. America has its own strategic reserve, and I think we've been caught shot absolutely. But of course you can also understand from a business perspective why that happens. These companies, whether they're manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, whoever they are, they operate on very thin margins, and they operate on very thin inventory. They don't want to be sitting on high inventory because it costs them money. So, to take one classic example, if you're packed, or if you're busy, or if you're prat it doesn't really make sense for you to sit on warehouses full of resin or warehouses full of spare plastic. That's a cost you have to carry what you want. Are very fast moving supply chains that move at lightning speed, which means you can get those raw materials in very last minute, very quickly, so you can get them into your w house, turn them into finished goods, get them out straight away. Because every day that you're sitting on that resin or that plastic or that raw material costs your money. So no company really does that. And if you go down the supply chain, for example, Calls or Woolworths or ld all the independent supermarkets, they also don't want to be sitting on huge inventories of food and groceries. It just doesn't make sense and it's a cost of doing business, but they can't afford so in a normal environment, outside of war and outside of crisis, it actually works perfectly well and shows the benefits of a global supply chain where you can get in that raw material from the Middle East or Asia or Europe or Africa. You can get it in very quickly, fashion it up, turn it into a finished product, and sell it incredibly quickly. That makes sense, and it's good for the consumer because that keep costs down. But when that supply chain seizes up as it is now, you will be caught sure, and that happens to a lot of countries. And then we can talk about also fertilizers. We don't make fertilizers in Australia anymore. So it's great in Australia that we can feed ourselves five or six times over. We're great in terms of our food supply for domestic consumption. But if you don't have the fertilizer to grow the food, if you don't have the diesel to power the tractors and the harvesters to harvest the food the crops, then you're in trouble.
Speaker 1: Talking about self sufficiency and Australia being able to feed itself and to supply itself feels kind of old fashioned these days, Elios, As you say that the whole conversation is about lightning fast global supply chains. But do you think Australia is unnecessarily exposed to something like a conflict in the Middle East because we have really deprioritized local manufacturing so much of things like fertilizing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it shows up, doesn't it. But so very few countries are self sufficient. I think America maybe, and that maybe through decades of planning and again that strategic reserve of oil, they still have a very strong manufacturing base with factories that actually make things, including cars that we no longer do. So they've been very smart in that, I think a lot of European countries again maybe because they've seen the impact of wars on their doorstep in their own countries, so they've prepared for that. And I think with Australia, I think we've just gone, perhaps where it makes sense for us where our competitive advantages lie. So there's no competitive advantage in Australia manufacturing cars or cutlery or matsticks or plastic materials. It just doesn't make sense anymore. It does make sense for us to manufacture software or cochlear ear implants, or maybe wine but not the bottles but the wine, or technology, or having AI data centers, that makes sense. But to make cars anymore, probably not to make fertilizer sadly, probably not. But then we need to have very strong supply chains to make sure we're ready if the crisis happens, which is happening now, but I think all countries are facing this. You know, New Zealand I think is in even a worse position than us. I remember during the COVID crisis there was a global shortage in carbon dioxide, which shocked me, like, how can it be a shortage in albon? Oh, we had too much Yeah, isn't it actually everywhere? Can't you just take it out of the atmosphere. It actually doesn't work that way, and it's just so silly, you know. Way, we had a shortage of the carbonated bubbles that go into beer, soft drinks, that kind of thing. We only had one or two plants in Australia that make that. New Zealand have got no plants that make commercial carbonated bubbles, so they actually had a shortage. It had to ration carbon dog sick it.
Speaker 1: God, is a bubble crisis.
Speaker 2: M Yeah. Again, of course when you dig deep into it, what you discover is that you need that carbonated water or those bubbles for hospitals which do a keyhole surgery actually uses that carbon so they're obviously a priority, not making beer. So this is actually a problem that's across the economy, across everything that we touch and see. While you've been the center of it, but the strait of her move shuts down, we're all in trouble.
Speaker 1: I had a very confronting conversation with my dentist recently. Eli was the usual thing like do you floss, yes, you do you eat a lot of sugar foods?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: And she said do you drink sparkling water? And I said yes, I have a soda stream at home and she said, oh, well you need to stop that. And I said, what this is my this is my last advice, is all I've got? And she said no, the acid that emerges in the carbonation process is bad teeth and erodesia amel. So maybe the bubble crisis was actually good for all of our teeth.
Speaker 2: Yes, and yes it could have been. That just shows him the tiniest thing that you don't think about, and resin being a pretty good example. But you may remember at the Global Food Forum last week that the Australian put on the Beaga cheese boss spoke about resin and how tough it is to get that resin, which is something we don't think about. But when you look at plastic, it's resin you'll see.
Speaker 1: Coming up. So is this how a recession starts? The thing that we're hearing from all of these companies is that ultimately we're going to have to pass this on to d end user, the consumer or the purchaser. Borrel Group is saying that about building supplies now, So if you're planning a renovation, it's going to be a lot more expensive. Of course, the packaging companies are going to part that onto Coals and Wilworths, who will be passing it on to us. At what point, though, do you think eli consumers continue to accept that will this be the subject of a negotiation? Say, you know, will Coals and will these be law being hard not to have that cost passed on to them, you know, and ultimately not to have to pass it on to their customers because they are in a bit of a reputational crisis for other reasons.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I found the reasons.
Speaker 3: You're right, the consumer Watchdog and Coals are going head to head in the federal court and what's being labeled the case of the century, the h trouble see alleges the supermarket giant duped shoppers with fake discounts.
Speaker 2: But it's a problem for Coals, Willies, all the supermarkets, all the retailers, how much they pass on to the consumer. If they don't increase prices, then their profits suffer and their shareholders get angry and the share priss falls. If they do pass on the price to the consumer, that preserves their profit margins. But then consumers get angry and they made biless and it's a vicious circle. There will be some nego and I think Coals and Woolies, Aldi and Costco and all the other food and grocery retailers will need to go to their suppliers and say you need to work hard on cutting your own costs, that you need to get efficiencies somewhere else, and Coals and Wullies just to use them as really the leaders in this. They will have to look their own businesses and cut their own costs to try and make up some of the difference. But I think they will need to increase prices. And we heard from Packed yesterday when they made their statement that they've passed on the increase to their customers immediately, so not delayed, but they've just immediately passed on Reese, which is Australia's leading combing supplies business. They've passed on prices to their customers immediately about thirty or percent. So they're the market leader. So if they've done it, that kind of gives permission, I suppose for everyone else to do it because they're kind of making that lead. But it will have been passed on and someone's going to pay for it somewhere.
Speaker 1: These are the reasons why people say that oil shocks lead to recessions. Do you think there's a recession over the horizon for US?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think economists are certainly saying that and suggesting that. I think our economies already just stumbling along. You don't need much to knock it into negative territory. And of course you need two negative quarters of economic growth to define to make it a recession. So then what does the government do. Do they increase their own spending or that leads to inflation, which leads to more problems down the track. You know, you think the odds of a recession grows. And yes, we had that oil crisis in the mid seventies, which leads to recession or leads to stagflation. So inflation and no growth or negative growth, that's going to be a problem. And you know, the consumer is such a big part of our GDP, it's such a big chunk, so that's going to be a huge problem.
Speaker 1: Eli Greenblat is a senior business reporter with The Australian. Thanks Elo, Thank you. Eli covers everything from Dominos and Smiggle to Maya and Amazon, and you can check out his unrivaled news breaking and analysis anytime at the Australian dot com dot au