Speaker 1: Fremantle captain Alex Pierce before the AFL Tribunal, facing a three match ban for a collision that raises questions about going back with the Flights.
Speaker 2: Leading the ladder and restocking with the big guns. Collingwood's Party of five returns for a Friday night showdown with the Hawks and Superstar.
Speaker 1: Tuesday champions and captains Lion Lockingeel and Giant Toby Green joined us song players Nights.
Speaker 3: We talked about his step into it, debrace all.
Speaker 1: Of it in the room and Rent it's unedifying for a senior coach to do that.
Speaker 4: They're on the side of Courtia with the brain kape, the man on.
Speaker 1: They played the best footy I've ever seen at the start of the season, and in said president left the couple older said he, of course they do.
Speaker 4: Is the stuff that legends are made of.
Speaker 1: What is holding the ball?
Speaker 3: I don't think I could answer it clearly right now that I can do something.
Speaker 1: Wrong, you know, And I need the game and the board, sex meet.
Speaker 5: The fans, lover and with no fans, no through sixty year old.
Speaker 1: The players dominate our agenda tonight, gas is Toby the greatest Giant.
Speaker 2: Were a little quick spitball about that. I think he probably is Jeremy Camerck. He's not the games record hold. He told me that's cal Ward. He's got kel covered with all due respects, so I think he is straight back at you. He's locky near the best line.
Speaker 1: In the Brisbane era. Yes, probably not because Michael Voss falls into Let me.
Speaker 4: Just reel off for a bit.
Speaker 2: Two Brown Lows Premiership Captain AFL Poyers Association AFL Coach station player, the four All Australians two doing medals form Merrit Murray's three Ross Glennings and two Marcus Ashcrofts.
Speaker 1: And could have been enormous with metalists and he might not.
Speaker 2: Be done with good CV, isn't it That is one of footy's great sev Yeah.
Speaker 1: Water player, all right, they are with us tonight, so we're stacked. Toby Green Lockey Neil. We're going to pose the question, shall we just scrap the free kicks in the ruck on Razor's edge.
Speaker 2: We're taking Andrew mcqualter's League Fix. If your head didn't come away from your body play on.
Speaker 1: David Zita is watching the Tribune as we go to air right now Tomorrow nights it's well actually following us the midweek tackle Lauren Wood with John Ralph and Corbyn middle Mass on all the news that's unfolded across the day and as we look towards the next round. Tomorrow night is mid season draft night, so we'll keep an eye there. John Longmeyer and Adam Simpson on the on the demands of the senior coach in the modern era, and Beckdanna her it's always a pleasure to have her at the desk. Our Tuesdays start with just an out and out favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you said yesterday, around eleven people get grumpy, big mouth starts shooting off everywhere, so it's just relax and enjoy this moment. As one of the most refreshing things I've seen in footy for a long long time.
Speaker 4: It's the Angus and Stuart Clark show.
Speaker 6: At the time, you bought some calves off and Grandfather KP and you didn't have the you had to put them in the back of the car and you put them in spot bags to get them back to South Australia.
Speaker 3: That's correct, half a dozen in the back of a barna.
Speaker 5: When he left time to come to Melbourne, I was I had a tears side.
Speaker 3: It's it's changed me a bit. I think he lost to work and that's why.
Speaker 7: How many family members around you?
Speaker 3: Uh, there's twelve of us here. We got twelve, and I think he had a few for his mates.
Speaker 8: I know you're gonna be a ten to fifty of your mates, half.
Speaker 1: A tent and aller.
Speaker 3: We didn't bring him.
Speaker 1: We brought me, GiB.
Speaker 2: You a wood chopper, angus, Did I hear that right or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I'm a wood chopper, but yeah, definitely sharing a shape him coming out handy on the on the footy field, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: What sort of would you chop?
Speaker 3: A bit of yellow box?
Speaker 1: No, a bit of stringy bark? Mate?
Speaker 4: Can you get gas coming into a cold winter?
Speaker 1: I'll double the price now.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make yet. That was on a Friday night.
Speaker 1: He likes the work.
Speaker 4: That's why that's not going to be up there with quote of the year.
Speaker 1: I did google the Brena just to see how now discontinued Brownie. She would have been a busy Brena.
Speaker 4: Six coats with goats or she's six lambs.
Speaker 1: I think he said.
Speaker 2: Brownie reeled off about eight ways that he was connected to Stuart Clark, he worked on his uncle's carrot farm.
Speaker 1: That was the first thing he came out with. So they were magnanimously to a double act on Rising Star Night too. Now Faigus is the two hundredth game of Chris Fading. We couldn't love Faigs anymore, could we? The way that this is all unfolding. They called him back out just for a moment. They're going to cheer him off. No, don't chew down. Just the connection between player and coach, a Turndreth game, Premiership coach, elder statesman. The players joke about him being the granddad, yet he can get the message through when it's required. So this is the sweet spuddy I'm sure of. You asked him, he'd just tell you that he's an old dog doing his best. But he's a marvel. He's an absolute marvel with the way he is at the moment now.
Speaker 2: He Cameron referred to him as the old man twice.
Speaker 1: In that was around the song and he was belting it out. I do think the one thing he could improve on probably is his television craft. As we saw in the danes auco interview.
Speaker 8: These competition is really really difficult phase just.
Speaker 1: Is his time?
Speaker 3: Is it? What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Come on mate, he's looking at me laughing.
Speaker 4: That's that adds to the chart, it does.
Speaker 1: It's so great. I'm lucky the old John Shortley top of the agenda. One of those tripial cases that has set the footy debates are lights at stake? Is the short term future of Fremantle's captain Alex Peace as we come to decision.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's interesting when I've been trying to sort out in my head is who has the right to that space? Is it a guy coming at the ball and the guy going back from the slight gutifool to.
Speaker 5: Go back inside fifty.
Speaker 1: On it into black Pierce going for the footing.
Speaker 5: But burn Giants took a heavy hit.
Speaker 6: I just see that as a footy act and sympathy for Burne Jones. You never like to see players gets up out of the game with concussion. But I'm not sure there's a lot of two hundred centimeters go running at full pacing. He's going to take a chest mark.
Speaker 5: In the wet he is able.
Speaker 6: To do in that situation.
Speaker 1: Pierce's eyes, what are his eyes doing? And I think it.
Speaker 3: Looked like to me his.
Speaker 1: Eyes on the ball the whole way, and then the last.
Speaker 3: Second his eyes realized that there's going.
Speaker 6: To be a collision and he kind.
Speaker 3: Of he turns his head and causes his eyes.
Speaker 5: To absorb it.
Speaker 1: Even though the players can cast, Peace doesn't deserve three weeks for that because it is involved in the play of a great gun.
Speaker 6: I just know that the captain of the football club pulls out of that contest early and Burn Jones goes back in March's uncontested. I feel, Pierce, you'd get through the side for that.
Speaker 8: This is a contact game. We're not going to be able to legislate contact out. If a bloke gets can cast, does the other guy need to get through? If Alex Peace had can cast himself or Burnjo's had to can caust Pierce, would Burn James have got three weeks?
Speaker 1: I mean, where's this going to handle in the short term? Will end in the next ninety minutes or so before the AFL champion or David Ziza is watching this case, David, Welcome, Hello, Jared Hallo, Gary, what have we seen so far? Well, very little, to be honest, Jared.
Speaker 7: But Alex Pierce has been called to give evidence, so as we expected he will try.
Speaker 1: And make his case.
Speaker 7: Now the doctors are arguing this was not a reportable offense. They're saying that this was a conduct that wasn't unreasonable in the circumstances. He was reasonable at all times and at no point sought to commit a reportable offense and did everything he could to avoid it. So Pierce giving evidence now, and we expect him to walk us through this incident. And really the fact that Pierce does feel like he's hard done by. You heard Justin Longman will say last night, who has the right to that space? That's the real key incident here. Patrick Danmesvill gave evidence of course in a Sam Welsh case laughter and that worked a great effect. Given how Eliq when he is Alex Piace also can certainly make his case. So he has to commit to the tribunal he didn't commit a reportable offense. This is going to be three weeks or zero. That's just how it's going to play out. You can have your misgivings and how the system works, but it's three or zero. The impact virtually no chance of getting downgraded. So they're going to talk through how this worked.
Speaker 1: Now. I just think a.
Speaker 7: Really interesting case from last year was Toby Green and Jordan Boyd. Now in that case it was relatively similar. The tribunal found that if a player has ceased to attempt to mark prior to impact, and he's bracing for impact in circumstances such as this, then that player is not contesting the ball. So that's an interesting case. When it comes to this one. Alex Pierce could argue he didn't brace at any point, he didn't attempt to break at any sense, So this is the interest he can see and talking through how it's a bit different to this one.
Speaker 1: Now Peace will.
Speaker 7: Argue he didn't attempt to turn his body and all he did was realize there was going to be contact at the last second and almost open himself up to the contact in a bid to avoid any more significant injury to Darcy Burne Jones.
Speaker 1: We know, of course he did suffer a.
Speaker 7: Concussion, but stimately that's what the case the Peace will try and make. It might be a lengthy hearing given the AFL's givings. They say this was a reportable offense and it wasn't reasonable.
Speaker 1: In the circumstances.
Speaker 7: Again, it all comes down to what is reasonable and what is a player expected to do in Alex Pierce's situation and potentially in Darcy burn Jones's situation.
Speaker 1: We'll have a bit more.
Speaker 7: Clarity in the coming hours as to what you can and can't do on a football field.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get the details of that before our show has done. David, thank you. Have you been pondering the justin Longmuller questions, who has right to that space when players are coming from polar opposite direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think whoever gets there first. It's basically my answer. I don't want to take out the ability of someone under You call it running with the fly. It's just trying to win the footing with eyes on it, and it's whoever gets there first has the right and then whoever's next test to make. And this is where this is such a split second thing. It's a couple of points there. I think Adam Kingsley's points reasonable his eyes on that contra and so your proof of vision says, yeah, I know he's there, I can see him coming, but I'm watching the footy because I'm legitimate about taking the mark, and that didn't become apparent. His actions then were different to Toby's where Toby cover it up. And you know, I think once he cover it up, then that could be deemed to be unreasonable.
Speaker 4: And I do take it not exception.
Speaker 2: I don't agree with Justin who said that he would be crucified if he pulled out of that. I think the comment tear it, which is us and the broader football public have got to that conclusion now where no, no, we don't. We're not going to crucify a play if he decides the discretion is the better part of valid. Now if you pull out, you know, in the old fashioned sense, then yeah, you'll be still pretty harshly judged, but not in the when we now know with the guy the head over the footy where it used to be open.
Speaker 4: So the charge in the player will just stop.
Speaker 2: And hover and we don't condemn them for that, Jared, So I will take a little bit of exception.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the game demands that in the last three steps you modify your approach if you're going to be second to the ball, and a lot of that will get tested again tonight.
Speaker 4: I was do you think that was unreasonable?
Speaker 1: But Alex peer my gut feeling, I know why he's been charged because at the moment of contact, he's not contesting the ball. Did he fulfill his duty of care? I actually think at the end he does fulfill his duty of care. So as opposed to he goes lacks as best as he possibly can to minimize the impact that's going to happen. So is that you know in the dangerous table, if you're released one arm at the last second, that's enough to fulfill your duty of care. That's where if Pierce is compelling in the evidence that he gives, that's the chance that he's got he's going to miss on the was he contesting the ball and the moment of impact?
Speaker 2: And there is this as David just told us, there's no there's no leeway.
Speaker 4: It's three or nothing. That's the other part of this witch.
Speaker 1: Wace in this In this instance, I think that's okay. This is either guilty or not guilty.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's I don't think it is.
Speaker 2: I think you can still be partially guilty of being unreasonable not to the three game. I mean, if if it's.
Speaker 4: A week, there'd be outcry, but there'd be half an acceptance. Three or nothing. It's got to be leeway.
Speaker 1: Colin Woods, they sit top of the table. They held the forts with the matcher. Next man up.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about this because I've done a lot of.
Speaker 1: Homework and remember the next five come back. Here's your checklist. Pemblebury, Sidebottom, More, Hill and Schultz.
Speaker 3: All good to go. And we're excited for that. And you know, we stand here with a great performance on the weekend through guys coming and doing the job. And then you know, the excitement is that you wake up in the morning with some really important magnet's ready to come back. How's Bobby going to the great Yeah? Yeah, I won't go into the details. He wasn't here yesterday. It was good to see him around the place today and train well and moving some stuff that he needed to move. So delicate situation, but we're wrapped to have him backt the club.
Speaker 1: You know, already to be of album playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's fitting vilable to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Actually he got an injury that potentially helps him. You know that he's had this plan of fashion thing that's been grumbling for a long time over twelve months, and he's pretty much snapped all that now, so then he's pain free. He's got a little bit of Scotish that may require a week to rest, maybe two at max and just tating m yes, they can't believe the difference in his pain.
Speaker 1: Friday Night footy does shape as a beauty. Gary Lyon, I have the pie is brought back.
Speaker 2: You would have been you would have done this, but I beat you to it. This is five payers back in. Has there been a better five?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Eleven hundred and forty eight games comes back in seven Premierships, two Norm Smith medals, nine All Australian Blazers, seven Copeland Trophies, five an Zac Day Medals and I think there's a leading goalkicker in there as well. That's I don't know if there's been a better five that come back in. And that with the due respect to Lockeye Schiltz, who he didn't add to that all that much. When he's going to be a great addition. That is an imposing addition. Now it doesn't guarantee anything, of course, but to their way they've been playing. And this is a beauty of this football side is that they can see us he reintroduced players of that ILK but also go to their secondary and still get the job.
Speaker 1: So the inverse is they won without all of that, which is pretty remarkable in its.
Speaker 2: Own Right now, they're in great they're in such a great place right now, and sometimes, you know, not often in your football life, you just experience where everything's like it's all coming together beautifully and that's where they're that, that's where they're there. This time last year Sydney were there too. So it doesn't it doesn't guarantee you anything, but it guarantees it's a great Friday night against the Hawthorne side who got a bit.
Speaker 1: To prove age and experience. Their profile will change a bit from one week to the other. Dan McStay is edging closer, so he injured the knee and Anzac Day. We left that night wondering what his future was be It was a mid term injury that's going to cost him a big chunk in the middle. But he has taken aim at the King's Birthday encounter.
Speaker 4: That doesn't that loom as well.
Speaker 1: So it's a good recoverer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well some players are like that.
Speaker 2: J There are players who got remarkable powers of recuperation and others would take a bit longer it. In his absence, again, Tim Memory continues to do a job that maybe even a surprising Collingwood who went and picked him up with the thought I would think that he's going to be great backup. We're going to use him through the home and away. But he's had to be more than that, and he's done a great job. So it'll be interesting to see how they structure up with mixed. They are not too far away.
Speaker 1: Reference mid season draft tomorrow night. If Craig McCrae had his way, we would be heading towards the mid season trade period at the halfway mark.
Speaker 3: I'm a big advocate for mid season draft and also for the trade Like I say it every year, and I think there's opportunities out there for the competition to keep growing. And you look at Essen and don't have Keith Fords or Keys at the moment. They could benefit from a trade period where someone's at another club, potential he's not going to any game. And I think the ifl continue to keep bringing up every year, hopefully we can make some PROGRESSI in that I think it will create urgency and energy for teams you know, maybe potentially aren't fighting at the top of the ladder or yeah, fans are like it. I gives you more stories to talk about, hopefully not too far away.
Speaker 1: There is an in principal agreement in the collective bargaining with the players to do this, but there was reticence from the clubs, particularly those clubs from outside Victoria. So the AFL has the right to pursue this, but hasn't chosen to yet. I haven't asked you if you were yes or a no.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make much sense to this and can find themselves in a parlor situation and have players who are there ready to go at another club not getting senior opportunity. Imagine Luke Jackson and if saw and Darcie and Luke Jackson were playing and they decided that Jackson was their man and Darcy became available, of a sudden, there'd be a.
Speaker 1: And you get more in season than you do post season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, particularly where you're at.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you haven't you're having a season, then all of a sudden, you think and windows just got wider for us.
Speaker 4: Let's make the most of it.
Speaker 2: Then you might pay over So that club who's on the who's on the other end of.
Speaker 4: It, says, yeah, we'll get extras and we'll benefit at the next So yeah, I like it. I think the mid season.
Speaker 2: Draft is sharply to focus Friday night. When that ball gets bounced on Friday night, ned Long's going to steer across at joint yugud.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If that doesn't put it into focus, then nothing does. That's going to be awesome.
Speaker 1: And tomorrow night we'll hear stories about just how far back you can come from to be on a league list across two years, be playing second division in the suburbs and be the number one pick tomorrow and night is hope. There is hope the Tasmanian Front today. This is so interesting is the reassessment on the building of the Macquarie Point Stadium has been done. The financials and the figure nout is nine hundred and forty five million dollars, So that's up one hundred and seventy million on the first instance. This is significant because the state budget is later this week and the money has to be put into it. It's better to know now than to have the cost overrun. The skeptics will still tell you that this won't be built for less than one point two billion dollars, but the rise, the rise and the bill right now, so as matters stand, bipartisan support exists for the stadium. The draft legislation was published today, or go to the Lower House of Parliament in June, a month of debate and then the vote in July, where only the past or not bipartisan support would see it go through. Then to the Upper House where the stadium would need two of the independents who probably if the vote was held yesterday, you would probably be counting on those votes and it would pass through into law and construction would begin. So the rise to the price the rendering is the sort of the payoff is. It's shiny, it's beautiful, it's going to be fantastic, it is. But the number, the number is a big number.
Speaker 2: The bipartisan support before this latest blowout of one hundred and seventy to two hundred million. Anyone that's built a house, Jared will tell you that this it just keeps going up and up and up. So what's going to be acceptable. Is there a cut off here for full support of this stadium with an altern live sitting in the wings saying that we can do it for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this is the number that they will vote on. So that's the important part. There's no smoke and mirrors with this. We're not going to vote on a number that is outdated. So it's an eyes wide open for the leaders of that state to do and then for the sport involved. And obviously THEYSI rules is right at the front of that. This was Andrew Dillon just a short time ago.
Speaker 3: Are you losing faith in how much is going to cost and slipping away given what they need to deliver together?
Speaker 5: Team, Look, there's a lot of work that's gone into the planning process that's happening now, which will be going before both houses of Parliament towards the end of June and early July. We're really confident that the work's been done and that it's within an envelope that the Tasmanian government, with assistance from the Federal government and others, will be able to deliver what will be an incredible asset for all of Tasmania and a great place for the Tasmanian Devils to play the majority of their games. Cricketer, I've in oars about the roof for you at that you need a roof in that place. We might have to speak to the head of the Crickets Association on that, but Look, I know that that can all be worked through. The stadium needs to be fit for purpose, not just for football, but for other sports, and I know the report already refers to ways to mitigate that.
Speaker 3: So is that a softening on the need for a roof from your end?
Speaker 5: Absolutely not. It will be the requirement under the licenses for a roof stadium at Macquarie Point with a capacity of at least twenty three thousand and cricket's been plaid under a roof here and I'm sure we'll be able to make that work down in Tasmania.
Speaker 4: So Jared cut through this.
Speaker 2: For a lot of people seeing at home, they're not interested in the money of the figures. They're just wondering whether or not you're going to get a nine eighth team in Tasmania. The stance has been from day one, no stadium, no team. Benny Gale said so recently as last week that we might all be out of the job if.
Speaker 4: This doesn't pass. Tell us what's happening, tell us what will happen.
Speaker 1: This will either pass Parliament or not, and it will do so in the last week of July or the first week of August.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't passes at it superficially.
Speaker 1: Yes, everyone will say absolutely, that is it, and that's an unwavering stance. Bennie Gael couldn't have been clearer when he said, we'll all be out of jobs.
Speaker 2: So you pause then, But so you're saying if they blink that, they most still might come back to the table.
Speaker 1: In my heart of hearts, I do believe that would happen. It's nobody's preference to get there. But are we going to fold the whole idea and cut the state adrift forevermore and break all the hearts that have been given over to it?
Speaker 4: Will they move past them?
Speaker 2: Will the AFL just if they don't, If they can all come together and commit to this as a state and from a government point of view, will the AFL just move past them and say, hey, you had your chance.
Speaker 1: Every public statement is yes. In my heart I believe I believe.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Well, they might just sit there and say what aperance is not true? No?
Speaker 1: Non, God, don't take my word. I don't want to cost you your team.
Speaker 2: But this might be their their attitude to say I think they're bluffing their we'll just call their bluff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be it would be a high stakes maneuver.
Speaker 4: Don't take.
Speaker 1: Cricket has no rights here. By the way, I'm a great cricket man. Cricket has no rights here. They wanted nothing to do with the stadium. Don't be putting demands on the roof now. Our players are about to join us. Toby Green and Locky Neil, two of the greats of the competition.