Speaker 1: Apod Shape Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom? Podcast on Instagram as well? Am I A Bad Mum?
Speaker 2: We have some really good memes that come through from people, and I just found myself literally in that spiral of memes and messages from people that just love sending them through. So please keep sending them because they provide a lot of entertainment.
Speaker 1: They're good. You don't do TikTok, do you?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not a TikToker.
Speaker 1: No. I've done one video. I might have done two, like bad dancers, just for fun. Everyone keeps saying you need to be on TikTok, and especially like from a business perspective as well. Yeah, and like for us for this podcast podcast, we should be doing TikTok.
Speaker 2: Not again. You lead it. I'll definitely jump on board and follow you. But there's no dance moves happening here.
Speaker 1: No, I've got two posts. I'm just having a look. I got two posts. I've got twenty eight followers.
Speaker 2: Oh good, you're doing really well.
Speaker 1: I'm forty nine likes, so you know I'm flying. Am I a Bad Mum? For allowing the TikTok trends?
Speaker 2: Killing it? With those numbers, Katie, Yeah, I am looking forward to watching the rise happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well wait for an expert. Yay, it's gonna go viral. So my kids are obviously on TikTok. We've had moments over the years of them not being on it and then back on it. I didn't mind it at first. The girls were on it when it used to be called musically, which is what it was before it was TikTok, and essentially it was just dancing and it was quite innocent. It's not so innocent anymore. I got to a point where Amelia was starting to talk about being scared of people tracking your cars, shootings and all these stuff that they're seeing on tiktoka. There's a lot of it is American. And took them off for a while, but they're back on it now they're fifteen. I mean, you know, they're almost living out at home. But I've loosened the string. But every now and then they want to do some sort of TikTok challenge, like something that's going viral, and everyone's doing this one the other day right where Holly said, have we got any cucumber? And I was like, I don't actually think we do have Please can we go to the shop and get some cucumber? And I was like, we've already done the shopping, but anyway, we get the cucumber because she's seen a TikTok video that's going viral and it's a cucumber salad. And I was like, I thought back to myself.
Speaker 2: At fifteen cucumber salad.
Speaker 1: I remember very vividly the day that I walked down the high street and I stopped into Macas and I got a double cheeseburger and I ate it as I walked down past Hungry Jacks, which is burger king in the UK, and I bought another one so I could compare the two. And I thought back to that moment and thought, jeez, kids are trying to be healthy these days with alcohol. Like the girls had a sleepover a while ago and I said, oh, like do you have any So this is a really controversial topic. I don't mind them having the odd drink if it's in safe situation. They're not doing it behind my back. They don't feel like they need to lie about it that kind of thing. And Holly went, no, why why would we like it wasn't a party it was just a sleepover, and I was like, oh no, not just you know, just asking if they offered or anything like no, like none of my friends just drink like that, like on a sleepover, Like that's not fun. Why would we do that? And I was like, oh, great, amazing, whatever works. But what I'm finding is that kids are super trying to be super healthy these days. Like I read a statistic the other day about aged I think it was eighteen to twenty three, and how they're not wanting to drink alcohol and do those bad things now. Like we're so much more educated on and I'm not saying we're not educated, like we know the dangers of alcohol, but it's too late for us, Like we're.
Speaker 2: Already we're in the deep dive already. There. No, we're talking about this in the sense of it being almost like there's so much more of the zero alcohol drinks now that are available that sort of make it like you don't have to drink, you can choose not to drink. They have an option.
Speaker 1: When I look at this particular TikTok trend, it was about making a great cucumber salad, and then there's all sorts of stuff that goes into the dressing, like the vinegar and the olive oil whatever. But it was like she made that cucumber salad every day for her lunchbox. I was like, wow, what is it?
Speaker 2: Because though that you're doing that because you're getting recognized at school, because other people are on TikTok that therefore you're in this constant need to be trending.
Speaker 1: Maybe so then.
Speaker 2: You're like, Okay, I can't even in my head, like just off the top sort of having that moment of going I can't even think of what it was that I could remotely say that I would have done that to a degree at school. Does that make sense? Like I wouldn't have made a cucumber salad just to be trending. I don't know. Maybe what else could you use as a comparison for when we were kids, Like.
Speaker 1: You'd see something in a magazine maybe yeah, maybe, And this is why, like, but in our magazines, there was not cucumber salads that we were making, so that you could go to school and say I.
Speaker 2: Made this cucumber salad out of what magazines we were reading Cleo, Cosmo.
Speaker 1: It would be what you see a celebrity do. So like I might see Britney Spears come out of Starbucks and she has like one of those iced.
Speaker 2: And she has no clothes on and shaved her head, and then next minute you find yourself at Starmarcks. No, I'm joking. It's kind of like that Yeah, you're right magazine. Yeah, which is why.
Speaker 1: And I've talked about this before, which is why it's kind of dangerous that these people on social media are so very touchable. Like when I say that you can send DM to someone that you like, You're not always going to get replied, but you can actually send a direct message to your biggest hero, whoever it might be. You're also seeing that hero on their stories, sweating after a gym session, wearing no makeup, doing the normal stuff. Like and even I find myself the other day what are you watching? Because he could hear. I had a video and I'm watching David Beckham do a tour of his vegetable patch. I was fascinated. I was like, oh, look, how good is Kale's growing, Like you're showing it. And I was just interested to see his garden, to see like he showed his chicken coop, like he showed it all. And I was like, Wow, this is really interesting. I'm actually spending my time watching this guy look at his vegetable patch. But that's what our kids are doing too, That's what they're doing with TikTok. They're scrolling through these very normal videos, which is why they've got an unrealistic view of what they can have in terms of designer handbags and brands and things like that, because they are just looking like you and me. They're doing the normal stuff orreas we had glossy magazines. It's very untouchable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very true. I like that because we were actually only talking about it because I think el McPherson at the moment is like is she bringing out a book or something? But she's been on everything at the moment, She's been on like sixty minutes and then Today's show, and then she's been on everything. She's working the Second Heart, obviously going to release something. But she was on there and Gracie was saying who is that She's beautiful, and it was funny because both my brother and I were sort of like, oh, that's El McPherson. Like she in our day was like in every magazine possible. But she was untouchable. Right. That's the thing is you wouldn't be able to reach out to her. You wouldn't be dropping her a DM and going, oh my god, your hair is still so beautiful. How did you make it?
Speaker 1: No like that, And you wouldn't be seeing her attending to a vegetable patch like. No, they're normal people now. They weren't normal people back then. When you see them in gossom, No, it seems they're very untouchable. I mean going back to the cucumber salad, like she's obviously seeing someone or everyone's doing it, but go, oh, this is what we should be eating. This is cucumber salad, and she's going, great, that's great for my lunch. And it also means I'm trendy. So there are positives, positive social media positives to TikTok. I never thought I would ever say it, I'm TikTok's teaching us about health.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, And then you've got the other side of TikTok where you look at some of those trends and go, I never wish my children see this, because there's some shit out there that people are dead set, messed up, and they're putting it out there to try and share it with other people to join the bandwagon of doing shitty things, and you sort of go, you know, hopefully our kids are going to be smart enough to filter themselves out of that, because yeah, there's some shit on there. There's let's just say, there's some shit on there, but interesting enough. And wrapping it up with the kid thing is do you know that they're actually looking at now trying to see if they can draft a legislation to make social media an age limit, so you can't have social media under certain age.
Speaker 1: How they had that anyway? How are they going to manage I thought they had that anyway, but the just can't release it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you won't be able to That's what I was thinking. I was like, why are we talking about this again? Because there's no way that you can police this.
Speaker 1: My girls went through a period of time where they constantly got their TikTok shut down, Yeah, for not being old enough to Yeah. They would just close the accounts down and then they would put the account in another address. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what. Instagram for me sometimes it is just too much.
Speaker 1: What you need to be doing is you need to follow Dave Rebeckham because there's some really great.
Speaker 2: I need to be finding this cucumb of salad at this stage because I am not trendy at all, because I have never made a cucumber salad in my life