Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life the average persons never exposed her. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Welcome back to part two of my conversation with Graham Simpendorfer. Before we resume the interview, as I mentioned in part one, I need to note this conversation was recorded before Graham's case went to trial. In the time since this record with him, Graham's case has resulted in an acquittal. However, the same individual also face trials over a number of other historical sexual offenses. He pleaded not guilty to all the charges he has found guilty of sexual offenses relating to four victims. The defendant maintains his innocence and has filed the motion to appeal those convictions. Now, let's get back into the conversation. Graham, Welcome back to part two. Thanks mate again. I'm going to keep putting these apologies in because I know, yeah, I'm asking you to relive some traumatic stuff. But as we're both discussed, it's good that people are talking about these type of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's why I want to come out and tell my stories to try and get a light on it that this does happen. And there's probably a lot of men out there in my age, in their fifties that have been through a similar experience, if not worse, that are still trying to deal with this on their own. And I hope that by sharing what happened to me and part of my story either gives them some comfort that they're not alone. But if they want to get help, then there is really good help out there. There's really good places for counseling, and that's judicial system aside. The court process, as we've talked about, is completely different, but there is help out there. You don't have to just report to the cops to get help. You can just contact one of.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, that's a good message to get out because sometimes that barrier is that I'm not ready to go to the cops, but you want help.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you don't have to. You can disclose to one of the practitioners that the centers against violence that are around the country, or I think there's one eight hundred respect that you can dial. But you know, there's supports lines that you can call. But that doesn't mean that the police is going to get called. Yes, it's victim first.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's important and speaking to a lot of people in that field of criminal investigation, the victim's power has been taken away when they're abused as children, and it's important they have control on what the processes are. And I think people in that line of work will acknowledge that. And they're not going to railroad you into just because you reach out. They're not going to railroad you into. You've got to report this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And you know, the people that have been doing it for a long time know that exactly. The statistics are not great on those that actually disclose, to those that then make a police statement, to those that then make it to a charge, then those that actually get into a court room, and those that are convicted. I think it's look again, I need to check on things like less than three percent.
Speaker 1: Those figures flow around in my head. I think that's you're roughly on the right right number there.
Speaker 2: So some of the some of the victims that would sit before me when I was in charge at the sex offense Unit, the first thing I'd say is what is it you want to get out of this? What is it you want? Because if you want a conviction at court, we'll try our dartist and what will work absolute butts off to try and get that. But the reality, hard reality is that, particularly if it's a one on one fence that's historical, you're up against it from the start. But I would say to them, but if you want me to drag this person in, arrest them and make them undergo an interview for a good couple of hours and make them for a really uncomfortable I'm your man. Absolutely I can do that.
Speaker 1: And I think that's a fear and I hear it's time and time again when that knock on the door. And I like saying that when we're talking about this subject, that anyone that's offended in this nature just wait. You don't know how long it will be, but someone might come knocking on your door and we'll be police wanting to ask you some very uncomfortable questions.
Speaker 2: Correct, And that's part of again, why why I'm here. You give people some strength ort to know you're not alone. There's plenty of us victim survivors out there that will support you and the police and hopefully the victims support services. But they need some more resourcing. They need some more. We just spoke about the amount of police resources. They need more. They need more counselors, they need more funding to deal with this because it's only the more that we disclose the more the people come forward. You don't want them waiting for counseling or having to go on we can't get to you for six weeks.
Speaker 1: Well, I've come away after being in this role for a long time and speaking to people from all sides of the law and the courts and the prison system and all that. If we really want to make a difference on crime, let's reduce child sexual assault. Because you look at how many people are in prison because of child sexual assault, or how many people whose life has gone off off track with mental health issues because of child sexual sexual assaults. We can make the place a better place if we can reduce the nature of the.
Speaker 2: Crime exactly, generational change. It's got to start. Why not start?
Speaker 1: And statistically you talk three percent that starts from the reporting of it to the conviction at court, which is extremely low and disappointing, but that's the nature of the type of investigations. But also statistically, what thirty one years before a male victim of a sexual abuse child sexual abuse comes forth and disclay and one in five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just scary to think about it and quite confronting really to think that one in five met boys have been abused at some point one in three women or girls And it's scary stats. And that's got to change. And if we don't start trying to do something about it now, how many victims more we're going to see. We don't want it to be our own kids. But you know, it's got to start, and we've got to start by talking about it and normalizing. I guess that it's okay to be a victim not giving that shame attached to it and just let anyone know that it's going to be okay. I think that's the biggest thing for me, was you know that those close to you and those who really care about you have got you. They've got your back, and you know. There's that many times I've I think even yesterday I said to my partner, just not having a good day. I think the anxiety of talking about this and adding yourself to it all publicly for the first time, how you're feeling, I'm not having a good day. But she's like, yeah, I've got you, It's okay, and that's normal. So to lean into that support was hard because for so long have the mask on and just try and deal with it yourself. It's been life changing for me to acknowledge, yes, this happened to me, wasn't my fault, and I'm going to be okay by telling someone. And I made the choice then to go that next step and take on the judicial system. And it does feel like I'm taking on the judicial system. It's less about me taking on him. I'm actually fighting a system that is geared towards he accused, and I'm fighting at every single well, it's been nearly four years.
Speaker 1: And you feel like you're fighting that you understand the system, you've been part of the system, and it's still a struggle for you accepting what's going on with the system. Imagine people that have no idea what the system is all about and would naively walk in and say, hey, I wanted to disclose this. So we're all going to get this resolved. And it's not that simple. I think people would be interested in you taking this through the system. From your perspective as a person that's reporting the crime to police, talk us through what you have to go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so first, first things first, you've got to have the courage to walk into a cop shop or pick up the phone and report. You know, I picked up the phone to a colleague from the border that has worked with me. You know, we've done entries forced entries together as cross border cops. To pick up the phone to him and say, hey, I'm reaching out to disclose and I want to make a statement. He was flawed. So it was the first step. But then okay, we'll get someone to contact you. Because it was a Wogger police investigation where it happened, they needed to deal with it. So we'll have someone that's already on the case, because you remember I said someone had already come forward. Oh, they'll get the officer in charge of that case to be in contact with you. And he was great, Blake, he was, will come over to see you. We'll come to ally, we'll see you. So we made a time for an appointment. I've got to say, like the anxiety and stress for the days leading up to that appointment was I'd never had an anxiety attack, and holy shit, you know to know that day's coming, and I've got to tell my story for someone that's.
Speaker 1: I put in perspective the things you would have seen and done in policing, and that knowing that you've got to actually sit down with the police officer. You understand the police. But that was so terrifying that you had a panic attack in the day leading up to.
Speaker 2: So confronting because you're dealing with your childhood trauma.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So it's not Graham, the hard ass detective sergeant, it's the child.
Speaker 2: At that stage, I wanted it to be the hard ass put the mask on and then get clinical about it. And there was parts that I did, but there was parts. You know, I needed needed the tissue box to let it out because you're reliving it, so you're unlocking that trauma. And I think that's what brought the anxiety of it's actually fourteen year old Graham that's making this statement. And yes, there's the ad me that's been done, you know, some pretty scary stuff and trained specifically on how to deal with fear and how to deal with active shooter incidents and being the person running towards you stop the killing. That training, But then to make a statement that's your own vulnerability because it's about you being a kid.
Speaker 1: You felt like you're back. Is that forth in your old's right?
Speaker 2: You know? And if I had my time again, I probably should have told others close to me that I was doing that, but it was something I felt I wanted to do on my own. Probably in hindsight now I've actually opened up too close friends and family that I should have actually got support to do that, but there was just something in me.
Speaker 1: Someone longer support you just I'll do this.
Speaker 2: I'll do it.
Speaker 1: I've just given a statement. Yeah that's right, statements, you know.
Speaker 2: And again the police then that that dealt with me on that day Blake and his colleague from They're amazing. They are very mindful of who I was and obviously the history I had, and I'd investigated just as much as they had. But this was the hardest one because I've got to play the role as a victim. But all the little things that I knew that needed to go in the statement I tried. I bought along things to help corroborate where I was in my life, Like I've got a draw full of medals from gymnasts that so when I know it's before this, pharto and I know it's before this. And look, my mum had kept everything, like everything, every paper clipping, everything, which ended up being absolute God send to narrow down the times because the police you want to know what date this happened, as you charge sheet says on this particular date or between this date and this date. So I was able to take all that along with me. I've done my homework, but I was still anxious as a little hell.
Speaker 1: To type up your own stuff.
Speaker 2: What's I think Blake had said, Nah, I think let's just let the process take its course as it should.
Speaker 1: Be, probably carrying a different more weight. If the police were there and yeah, then they could be in the witness box and being questioned about how you reacted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so we just followed the book and got to respect that that was just all by the book. But you know, after I can't remember after a lot of pages later, in a few hours of telling my statement to the police and signing it and walking out, I still vividly remember walking out of the Aubrey Crop shop and and the weight was gone, or explain that to me. Well, for so many you know, for so many years since that that lecture where it all came back. We're talking years, years and years. I think three to five years or something like that. I think I lost a few years in there somewhere. But it was a significant amount of time of carrying it on your own and trying to deal with it. I was able to tell my story to someone else on paper, and it was like it was a shared story. Now that's that's yours now to deal with. I'm not alone and carrying this weight anymore. It was a physical response of feeling like that weight had lifted as I walked back to my car, and I'm like, I can leave that back there now as well. I can actually leave that with them to deal with. I've told them my story. It's going to take its process, and I guess that's the next point of what we're talking about, is then the police got to do their investigation. And the expectation versus reality.
Speaker 1: Well, you would have struggled because you'd know what needed to be done, and I would imagine you'd be say, when are you going to do this? When are you going to do that? You would be pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was almost you know, these are the people that can corroborate that paragraph. These are people to corroborate that parent did the investigation plan, here's this is that And you know, look, I volunteered to the police, and I was very adamant, I said at the right time. I said, I'm I'm willing and I'm up for ringing him. And I hadn't spoken to this guy in a long long time, and I had come across him, but it had been a long time since I'd even spoken with him and didn't know his phone number anything. But there was a way to find that out.
Speaker 1: So this this was to gather additional evidence or corroborative evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I hope to confront him and you take that power back, but obtain some evidence with the police's help with a warrant. They're going to warrant for me to ring him and record that conversation, so you know, to try and corroborate and give weight to my statement, which is which is confronting him over what I did in the hope that he would admit it or give some indication to something that would help the court form the view that it's beyond a reasonable doubt that that did occur.
Speaker 1: How did you feel before making call, the.
Speaker 2: Actual physical call of Kareem, Oh, my god, I thought I had an anxiety attack making a statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would imagine that would have been pressure.
Speaker 2: I've asked people to do this before, and I now completely understand what I was actually asking them to do, because again you remember I said I locked it away, and even asking people to do that didn't bring it back for me. But here I am now as a victim, and I volunteered, and my intention was to try and get enough evidence that this guy had no choice but to plead guilty, and hopefully if other people come forward, it would save everyone from going through a trial. That was my intent, still trying to protect others, because I knew that the process of a trial it's an absolute shit show. It's traumatizing. Again and again there's delays that's traumatizing. So we'd locked it in for a particular day and time and again that'd come over to where I was in Aubury, and that night before really didn't get much sleep at all, and I think I can't remember. I think i'd fragmented something. Was I booked in for a one o'clock phone call because they had to record that conversation and not having any sleep and the anxiety of it all, and i'd actually gone through with I mentioned before. Patrick Tidmarsh was the man who was the lecturer at the Police Academy when all this came back. He had moved over to the UK, I think at that stage, and was lecturing the UK Police about best practice models on this. I'd rung him because I disclosed to him after that lecture and I said, look, I want to ring this guy and I want to confront him. How my best attackle this conversation to a take the powerback and try and get some evidence out of just leaning on him that I'm now the one in control and get him to either admit or give some evidence that would help. So we structured a conversation that took that power back immediately in the phone call. And so I'm rehearsing this the night before. How am I going to be? Has the emotion going to be? You know, don't show and you don't let him know that you're struggling and just take that power back. And easier said than done. But we got to think about twelve thirty in the afternoon and the cops still hadn't arrived, and I think I've got a text message, you know, seem we're running bit late. We're just going to go grab a bite tweet And I'm like, yeah, really completely innocent. And that's fine because that's the relationship we had, you know, nicknames, and they've known me, and I understand that. But from a victim's point of view, I went, oh my god, one o'clock.
Speaker 1: You cringe that. I cringe, like there's sometimes and I'm not you speak highly. Yeah, of course, yeah, that's just but my thing is and this is just the little things that you wait for your lunch after if you've got someone hanging on that.
Speaker 2: And I never I never brought it up with him. In fantasy to them, but we'll.
Speaker 1: Give I'll give him a wrap and the slap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it was just it's just I think it highlights that for me, everything how sensitive for me. That rocked me. And again, you know, I've done all these investigations for nearly thirty years, and that rocked me. I'm like, oh god, I've now been pushed back to when. Yeah, because I was ready for that one o'clock. Okay, it's come as come as comes come. And and I've probably done that to people myself in homicide or robbery or sex offenses where you've unintentionally said something that was just bau run of the mill. I just need to go get lunch and then we'll be with you, as opposed to we're just call behind time and really sorry, it will be there soon or whatever.
Speaker 1: And this only came from I learned from people that were my mentors, and that that says little things that can just rattle someone. Yeah, even if you're dealing with criminal informants, it's yeah, and it's not all about it's got to be on time. It's just those little things that you know someone's struggling. Just smooth as much as possible. Yeah, and that's that's delay. When you look at it, we'll do it really matter, maybe not to the outside but to the person going through what you were going through. It was. It was a big thing.
Speaker 2: And the impact that could have had on the phone call or then the evidence.
Speaker 1: Because you're your rattle.
Speaker 2: So I had to get my ship together and was fine. And as soon as I saw them, was all fine. And you know, clearly I've got.
Speaker 1: No roube, but clearly that one go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but look reset and and made the call and it was all recorded and there's a bit to it. So initially I think, you know, and the initial part he was quite pleased to hear from me. It was almost friendly. I stopped that straight away because that was the tactic that Patrick and I had spoken about, and it was confronting. I just cannot again just the physical and psychological responses of that call of because the fourteen year old me was trying to trying to come out from that conversation was taking myself back to time and place, because I had to take him back to time and place. So I had to literally say what he did so that there's no mistake for anyone that would listen to that phone call exactly what I was talking about. I wasn't hinting at you know, it did, Mate, No, right into it, you know. And and and that's just where we had to take it. And that was hard because the fourty year old me's bubbling up like getting upset. But I've had to put this mask on and not give him an inch that he had any control in his conversation whatsoever, that I'm the one in charge now. And look, it's okay, it was. It was. It was a bit of a conversation. I don't recall a lot of it, but you know, it'll it'll be it's played in court and it is for everyone to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I can see, yeah, you demean that change just talking about I can see the impact it had on you. But yeah, taking it all back right at the sharp end, isn't it. You're speaking to speaking to the person's Yeah.
Speaker 2: And look, if it ended there, yeah, you know, I would have liked to obviously, and he was and he is charged. If it had ended there, I probably would have been half content as well. Yeah, half, Well.
Speaker 1: That's confronting your abuser. You did that, and I can understand that would give you some satisfaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it certainly didn't. And I think it was again another real important point in the whole journey of I guess trauma that tick. I've done that, I wanted to do that. Not everyone's up for it, and I'm not here, certainly sitting here saying that that's an option for everyone, because it's bloody confronting.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Took a long time to get over it. And now every time there's a court process or a court date, or the anxiety of that being called and me having to listen to it again and owning that, the fear of that, I don't know why I fear it, but the fear of that foot and year old boy coming out and being upset. I've learned to just lean in and live it. And I don't know, I don't know what can trigger It'd probably come out of you, so the issues close. But that's part of part of that vulnerability of letting it go and and whether that was the end game for my journey on that or whether it end up in charges. But I think I'm trying to say an a round about w everyone is you've got to understand what it is that's gonna be good for you. Now, if that means just telling a story to a counselor that's fine, that's one hundred percent fine. If it's just telling someone close to you, or if it's telling the police, or if you are for all, I want this person charge and I want to see them through court, and that's fine too. But I'm here to tell people that that is again not linear. You'll go through stages where I'm done, I want to withdraw my complaint, or I haven't heard anything from the cops for six months, I'm done. This is ridiculous because it's with you every day. Every day, it's with you, and it's just it's unresolved. It's sitting there, unresolved, and you can try and live with it, but it's just still there. So to have that gap, it can be years, because that's the tactic. Let's use let's delay the victim out of out of this. It's hard, but you know, you've you've got to keep coming back to what was your purpose? Do you still believe in that? Or are you happy that it's changed? Are you happy now that you know what? I actually don't think I'm much going through the judicial process because it's just too much that's okay too, and it might change.
Speaker 1: I think it's important messaging that you put across there that that might change what you want, what you're hoping to achieve. But you're in control of it. Yeah too, because I think the worst thing that can be done to it's retraumatizing the person if they lose control because the offense, they lost control. And now if they lose control, now if they get bullied into making a statement, it's yeah, look you've got you've got to let the victim have control of the person who was offended against, have control of what's happened. The delays in the court matter a look, yeah, it's isn't it. Yeah, delays in courts.
Speaker 2: Okay, It's hard to sit here and say something so negative against a system you've fought for for so long. But yeah, look it's not a great experience, is mine. And that's for a number of reasons that, as you're rightly say, is out of my control. Yeah, and that's been that. It's without trying to put a label on this, but I've been revictimized every time. Yeah, so every time there's a new trial or a system, you're a hung jury. So initially there's a hung jury, there's a new trial, there's a delay, and in this particular case, some more victims come forward, which is great.
Speaker 1: Explain that to give the listeners, there was a person that came forward and made a complaint prior to you. You heard about it, you came forward, made a complaint, and then there's been how many others are.
Speaker 2: I think in the first break down to two sections. I think in the first section there ended up being and again I'm not of sin because I have never told me so.
Speaker 1: But they keep thinking separate. Yeah, so there's no contamination.
Speaker 2: I don't even know their names, but I think there's around seven in that first block, right, that trial around a couple of years ago and was a hung jury. Yep, so went around again for a trial, so twelve months wait, which you're like. And initially then I was separated from that first group because I think of the phone call that was made.
Speaker 1: Okay, So just to explain that a group of people have come come forward, they've all complained about the same person. There's been a series of charges. When you say the first group seven, they were all people that had made complaints against the person of interest, the person who has been charged went to trial. Your matter's been separated, so your trial is going to run separate to the first trial.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that was a hung jury, which people I think listening to the podcast long enough I hung jury where you can't get a unanimous decision or a majority decision on it. So the option is it's no build, you don't proceed with it, or the option is that the decisions made to go for a further trial. So then it was twelve months waiting. You're at the end of the queue at this stage.
Speaker 2: Still at the end of the queue, I believe because of this recording, and it was deemed that that recording would be prejudicial.
Speaker 1: To the other others, okay, which.
Speaker 2: Still blows my mind. But that was the ruling of the court. And so I'm at the end of it all, and we're waiting another twelve months because twelve months is the next available court date in the system.
Speaker 1: So after the jury, after the decision didn't come back twelve months, they waited and there was another trial with the seven people, with the seven people who had made complaints against the offender or the accused. What happened that the court matter there.
Speaker 2: That particular case for those seven. I believe he was found guilty of one victim and I hung jury on three, so they couldn't reach a verdict, and three not guilty didn't get beyond reasonable doubt. So one victim found guilty out of seven, which absolutely my hart leeds for all of those victims. And I've played all that out of my mind as best I can in that you know, how do you feel if you're the one that's got the guilty and the others don't. But eventually or to the point, you know, and I'm just happy guilty of one, but I can't, you know, you can't speak for everyone in that situation. But that wasn't a good start for that group of seven people. And in the twelve months they were waiting for that retrial, more victims come forward, so I think there was another eight or nine, I'm not sure, but they had to run that second group of eight of nine in a separate trial altogether.
Speaker 1: The offender pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. I don't think he's maintained not guilty the whole way.
Speaker 1: So okay, hung drury first trial, second trial, one guilty, three hung three, no decision made for three not guilty out of the seven and then an additional eight have come.
Speaker 2: Forward in a separate Is that another trial?
Speaker 1: Another trial?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is he in custody in there?
Speaker 2: No? I don't know, mate, I've been told no, which is a frustration, to say the least. It was obviously overwhelmed over the moon that you know, there's now nine and I think I asked, you know, is the immediate custody? Is he straight in jail? Like? I think the response was, I'll have to check. You have to check. This is you know. I would have thought that was something you'd know straight off the about and this is this is not the police, this is a support person. And look, she's lovely too, I'll give you a rap. But she's overwhelmed. That's a sad thing in itself. So she didn't know she had to find out. She has NAIs on bail still. And my question was, well, did police or did the DPP ask for a media cust ideal? And I can't get an answer at this stage. Okay, so that's a whole other level of Look, I don't understand. Maybe I'm missing something, but you've found guilty of nine child sexual offenses. I would have thought you strung.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, as to former cops, we accept the decisions of the court, but you're sitting here as a victim, and so offer the opinion of victim that this person has been charged with multiple offenses, been found guilty of nine victims, and still is out on bar. It's not a good situation, not a good look.
Speaker 2: And look, there may be a very perfect explanation, but I'm just not getting it at the moment, and that in itself is causing a lot of distress. You know that the lack of information coming my way has been quite distressing, to say the least. It's revictimized everything, and to the point I actually rang Blake at one point and was like, mate, I think I'm done.
Speaker 1: You can So it's even at the point of breaking you because from the time you provided the statement to police, how long are we talking there? I think at four years, four years before before it comes to trial.
Speaker 2: You delays retrials defense with all there's new material, we need time to digest that, and that turns out to be, you know, another twelve months. So my biggest fear around this bit was if this is delayed again for another twelve months, I think I'm broken. I think I need to look after my own wellbeing. I think I had enough. He's been found guilty of hate. But then there's a part of it goes, you know what. We're almost there, but I just I just cannot even start to think what this must be like for victims out there that don't understand the system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's the thing. You do know the system. You've been in the in the system, and that's still traumatizing you. So at the time we're recording this podcast, the trial judge only trial is coming up for you very very shortly. Yeah, a couple of weeks, and how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: Very anxious? You know, I want to I want to tell my story. I didn't think going to court and telling it would mean as much to me as what it does before. I said, you know, it's okay if you change what your tension is, and I did mention there's been bad days. I've gone and done. I just want to move on. I want to advocate for change. I want to help men of my age that have been through the same thing. I want to help try and change some of the judicial process. I want to get on with that part of work in my life. I've moved on a much happier in life now, but there's still this lingering and it just won't. Like you said, I'm not in control of that, and that is taking me back to not being in control of what happened. So it's really victimizing. What is that saying justice delayed is justice denied to night and and that that every single day. So leading in now only a couple of weeks away. I think there was one comment made as you know, we hope we get it on this year, and that just rocked me. I was just like, oh my god, don't tell me.
Speaker 1: We're going to wait and and your frustration is not directed at the individual. It's a system, a system that you could get there on the day and there could be some obscure reason the trails pulled off again, and then the availability of the courts like ye, that'll be another another twelve months. That's you sit here.
Speaker 2: Wondering when when am I? And you know, and with him now on bail, I don't think they can undo that or a sind that decision that that he's been found guilty, but he's on bail, so I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 1: We don't know the full details, but that is hard hard to come again, it's just anecdotically someone's convicted of that many offenses generally refused.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, so yeah, look it's yeah, it's an interesting time. And look, I'm anxious for me. I'm anxious for my family that now I know my kids, I'm a partner and that's going through all this as well. It's going to come up and support and I was going to do it my own, but now I've lent into getting support. You know my brother that I have told her, he's he wants to come and help as well. So you know, we'll get through it. And to know you're not alone is probably the biggest piece out of this. But you having to explain to them all these steps and processes and delays. I understand what it's like for just and every day if I can put it that way in every day victim or not an ex cop victim that has all these questions and if I'm not getting any responses, there any understanding or maybe they just assume I or no. But as simple as there's a mentioned date, yeah, well I know what date it is because it gets put in up here and you know, and it goes by, and you thought, I'll I understand they're busy and I want to bother them, and they're doing a bloody good job getting the head around all these victims and the brief, but just a notification that looks nothing happened today.
Speaker 1: But it is those little things like a mentioned date. Like some people I've had victims, until it's explained to them, I think, well, it's all going to be decided on the date because it's a mentioned day and mentioned. There's just it's in the list in the court and nothing's going to happen that day other than a further date date set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, I want to I want to highlight and make it very clear I'm not only critical of the barristers, of the solicitors or the victim witness support people or Blake. They've been amazing.
Speaker 1: I think that's important.
Speaker 2: I think my point is is that they're so overwhelmed and overworked and underresourced. That's my point, and that's the change I want to see. They need more support because the retraumatizing and the living and the delays. It needs its own court. It needs a specialist sex offense court. You shouldn't be thrown in with all the armed robberies and all the murders and all the tobacco wars. It needs its own court for a number of reasons, to stop the delay, and for the courts and judges. I know they're doing a lot of work, but to better understand the intricacies of sex offense investigations, so the psychology of it. Whereas you might get a judge that's very specialized in this and that would be best practice, and that's what they try to do, but they're overwhelmed and they're overworked. The judges are so there's so many pieces in this that need fixing and need to be resolved. Now there's an expectation I would have thought on most people when you go to the police, your matter would be resolved in six to twelve months, two years tops fours substandard And if you'd asked me four years ago you got four years in here, I probably said.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, it is ridiculous how long it takes to get the matter matter through the court. Yeah, Hey guys, it's Gary jubilin here. Want they get more out of VI catch killers? Then you should head over to our new video feed on Spotify where you can watch every episode of VI Catch Killers. Just search for I Catch Killers video in your Spotify app and start watching today. If gain hypothetically, if the judge came back and found him not guilty, how would you feel personally?
Speaker 2: That's the system. I know what happened. Yeah, he knows what happens. Yeah, but that's the system, isn't it. You've got to accept the ruling of the court. I was told a long time ago, particularly I think get Thomas side. One of my bosses was like, if your job is to put the matter before the court, yeah, job done. If you're going to get too hung up on sentencing or that's not in parody to this, you're going to drive yourself nuts. Yeah. So look, just to get it, just to get him charged was a win for me to get inside the courtrooms. Great. But now that we're so close to having so many victims been I guess been found guilty of and his regard one more would be great because it'd be great for me. I'm not going to get hung on it too much. As I said, I know what happened, and so to see whether he's willing to admit that he recalls it all or not, that's a matter for him, but we both know what happened.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that's the approach, and I think it sounds like the right approach to take. And you've made him accountable. It's yeah, the courts. We've been cops long enough to they it can go either way. You just you just don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Happen with the courts and the elephant in the room, I guess, And these a conversation I've had with people who have come and told me, you know that this happened to me, and some people want to confront them, and you know, you know, particularly Dad's go I know what I'd do if this is happened to me. Look, I've just got to deal with that elephant in the room that's only going to get yourself and others into trouble. I understand where they're coming from. And I've never had that inclination to go and hurt him or get revenge or anything. I am still who I am. He didn't affect the man I grew into. If probably anything, it's maybe better. It was a weird thing to say, but by going and chasing these people down and trying to do your own summary justice is only going to put yourself in trouble and that's not the best thing for you or your family. And my advice is get some proper help, because that's not going to that's not going to do it.
Speaker 1: It's not going to fulfill it's not It will damage yourself more in some way. I think. So that's that's a good message to get out. Graham. You said you wouldn't have come forward then if it hadn't been for that other victim coming forward. That was sort of a prompt. What do you think needs to change to encourage people to come forward?
Speaker 2: I think that aspect of knowing that you're going to be supported, whether you're doing it alone or whether you're doing it with others. That was the trigger for me was you know, I need to support this person that's had the courage to come forward, and it just felt the right time for me. But I think overall, I think people just need to feel supported and the system needs to be a lot more efficient, that's for sure, because it just discourages people from reporting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what would you say, The people that suppress will carry suppressed trauma like you have, whether it's PTSD or something that's happened to you, like it's happened in the past. What's your message there, Like it's been the journey for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that you can try and suppress and bury it as much as you want. And I did it really well for a long time.
Speaker 1: I'm laughing, but clearly you did.
Speaker 2: And I come to it it was locked. It was I didn't know the code to what unlocked that, but I guess the game where you play there is it eventually catches up with you, and it did for me. It eventually was unlocked. But once it was unlocked, I still then chose to try and keep it a secret. And I guess that's my point to those that are out there that have been living with this for a lot longer than I did, that have been living this for you know, say I've been living with me since I was fourteen, it's nearly forty years. That's a long that's a long forty years of having that inside you, trying to deal with that and carry that weight and eventually catches that with you, and the people listening would know that there's either you know, there's either trust issues or there's issues within yourself. Whether it's use of drug or alcohol or violence or whatever the case may be, is that that's not the way to live. I feel that since coming out and telling my story to those closest to me and not having to carry it on my own, as scary as it bloody was, and confronting as it was, it's actually been the best thing for me because I've been able to those close to me want to share that, and it's easier, isn't it. You know, if someone had come to me and told me that I would support the one hundredercent, I would, And that's what I'm asking some people now to come forward. But the victim in me was like, oh, I don't want to deal with that's still confronting. I'm just happy to going on with life. But my life is so much better now that I've dealt with that. My close friends and found me are on that with me, and it's a shared shared trauma, I guess is the way to probably get to it.
Speaker 1: It's a good way.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not carrying one hundred percent on my own now, and they can't take it all. They might be able to just take five percent, or on a bad day, partner can take all of it. You know, that's a weight on her too, you know, and that's that's part of it. So that was a big part of that. That reasons in coming forward and telling your stories, it's actually made me better. And you know it's going to be hard for everyone. Yeah, you know, if you're sitting there in an absolute maze and feeling you don't know where you are and you're lost or you're doing things wrong, well you've you've got to have the courage to maybe take that step or make that phone call and try and get some help, because there is stuff out there needs to be more, but it will be for the better.
Speaker 1: And telling people that the people that have supported you and the good family, the good friends and all that. If you tell someone then they're not supporting you. May be that friendship, all that relationships and other's strongly you thought that would be, but people close to you and I really do believe there's importance in sharing that sharing that trauma. Yeah, and you're not burdening people with it. You're just saying, hey, I need a hand now, yeah, a little bit of help.
Speaker 2: And it's actually the first Some of the feedback I've had too is we understand you a bit more now, we understand why you are who you are and what makes you tick. And I've accepted that that's part of me. So that aspect too, was actually made a lot of us closer.
Speaker 1: How do you think it changed what you've been through, like the trajectory of your life and you know, like you must have been competing or gymnastics at the high level. Was it a passion that you hadn't then you just lost it because of his actions?
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah, I definitely lost it because of him. Know, I was coaching. It was my first job was to coach, so you know, it definitely changed it. It affected those relationships. It's some really really good friendships growing up and it's affected them. Affected my ability to go back to your hometown. I haven't, you know, I don't particularly look back in that part of my life with fond memories of course, with that associated trauma. So even going home at Christmas to visit Mum and dad, you know, going past places that you once once it had all unlocked. I didn't Mum and Dad saw those last four or five years. I wasn't going home. It was too much, too much to go. So so look, I think it's changed those aspects of it doesn't change me overall. I think it's probably made me a lot more emotionally intelligent. You become a cop to help protect others, and now I look back in hindsight, I think it may be a better cop. Just those instincts managing victims and empathy and care, but didn't manage my own internal self well, a lot of trust issues. You know, I haven't always done the right thing with alcohol, drink too much because it was a coping mechanism, you know, shut down, just shut down. So rather than being vulnerable enough to talk about how it is feeling or what emotions where that be policing, tron whatever, it was just shut down. But eventually, or to the point you through through all the counseling of leaning into that and being vulnerable and hence the ted talk, of of trying to be that man that the younger version of me would look up to.
Speaker 1: Well, I've made notes here of that, and I was going to hit you up with that very thing. That was your your ted talk and what you just quoted. Would the boy I once looked up to look up to the man I am today? How would you answer that?
Speaker 2: I mean asked that. Funnily enough, I've asked that. Look, it's it's I hope that that well, I know, I won't hope that foten year old boy would would trust me, the version of me now you trust me, And I'd hope that it would be a safe enough place that he could come and say what happened and know that I protect him, So that that's the biggest one. But also I think that that version of me would would hopefully look to me as a role model on how to how to be better as a person and how to conduct yourself through life so that your relationships are better, your professional life is better, and to just be a good human. So I think that's what the fourty and year old me would hopefully lean into. And I don't I don't think my life would have been incredibly different to what it has been given what happened. I think it's probably just forged to more purposeful me, particularly in this next phase of my life. And that's how I'm looking at it. I've got the pre me and the post, and that the post me post post. Understanding what happened and dealing with it. That next version of my life is look out.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got to got to say this, and you've carried a lot of responsibility in your job, like I think all the cops that have served and done their best to make society a better place, and I know the sharp end of policing that you're working at. You're looking an advocate for police veterans and looking at that side of things again. Contributing your post career has been quite amazing. You've was it the logis you went to.
Speaker 2: It's a bit embarrassing there. It's hard to listen to. Yeah, yeah, who would have thought, but yeah, went to the logis and you can tick that one off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Not many people when you joined the police think they're going to end up at the logis. But you went to the logis for your role in the show A Hunted where you were using your police police skills. And you've now set up a company, Peregrine, for looking at AI and the future of criminal investigations. You're complaining about your success of your kids sporting abilities. Now you've got to travel travel further. I don't know. I'm looking at you. You seem like you're pretty content in life now, and I think it's good because it was a journey that could have headed off in the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it could have. And you look, you're just reminded me of that time where it all came out, and that time of leaving policing and dealing with all of these things at once was a real critical time and I could have turned to many different things. And I did go into I did shut down, but eventually I had some decisions in myself to make and to look at, well, what am I going to do here? What am I in control of? And that's a hard it's a hard bit to understand, but even harder bit to an act. So what am I going to do? I need to get my ass off the couch and I need to stop drinking. I need to open the blinds because literally would shut the blinds and shut the world off. I need to deal with this because otherwise I'm just going to end up that crusty I'd seen a detective that was on TV once, So what I'm I going to do with my life? So dealt with it? And but that's easy said then done, and it still is. It's still a struggle. As I said, you know, yesterday wasn't a great day, but it's okay to not be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, full credit to you having the courage to talk so openly about what you've been through. And I think you are making a difference. And I know because I left the cops around the same time you did, and I think our careers were fairly similar in the way we threw ourselves into policing and it's dis orientating. And then you were carrying in addition, you were carrying what we've been talking about today. And I look at where you're sitting now and what you're doing. You're kicking goals left, right and center.
Speaker 2: So congratulations, Thanks, it's all we're going to do. Yeah, I really appreciate I really appreciate the Eye Catch Killer's team give me the opportunity to talk about this topic and putting some light on Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for trusting us.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jeers.
Speaker 1: I want to thank Graham for his courage in sharing his story, which I know is incredibly difficult to relive. I commend him for the important work he has done not only over his career but now sharing his personal story to keep bringing these issues to light. Graham has dedicated decades of his life to apporting victims and we support him. Now to our listeners, as I mentioned throughout this two part series, I need to reiterate that this interview was recorded before Graham's case went to trial. Ultimately, Graham's case resulted in an acquittal. However, the same individual also faced trials over a number of other historical sexual offenses. He pleaded not guilty to all charges. He has found guilty of sexual offenses relating to four victims. The defendant maintains his innocence and has filed a motion to appeal those convictions. Finally, as Graham and I had discussed today, you do not have to carry these burdens alone. If anything we've talked about has raised issues for you, or if you or someone you know needs help, please reach out to support services like one eight hundred. Respect