Speaker 1: Prime Time Opinion on Skying Is Australia starts now.
Speaker 2: Live on Sky News Australia.
Speaker 3: This is Denika di Georgio.
Speaker 4: Good evening and welcome to the show. Coming up tonight, the Prime Minister announces a sweeping firearms crackdown in the wake of the Bondai massacre as he again dances around the topic of radical Islam.
Speaker 5: Nationals leader David little Proud will join me.
Speaker 4: Seven men arrested during a police operation in Sydney on suspicion of planning a violent attack and motivated by extremist Islamic Islamic ideology. They've just been released from custody. I'll ask former New South Wales counter terrorism Minister David Elliot why and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Etna, who tells Anthony Albanesi to wake up in an exclusive interview with sky News first tonight. If we don't talk about the religious motivations allegedly behind the Bondai attack, then when will we. But the Prime Minister's strategy is deny, deny, deny, because he can't even bring himself to say the words radical Islam, and so his big solution a gun amnesty.
Speaker 6: There are now more than four million firearms in Australia, more then at the time of the Port Arthur massacre nearly thirty years ago. The Government will introduce legislation to support the funding of this buyback scheme and meet the costs on a fifty to fifty basis with states and territories.
Speaker 4: Look, this is his very own Victorian machete bin moment, fake solutions to a serious issue. The Prime Minister even went as far as to blame sovereign citizens.
Speaker 6: There have been, of course, incidents in both Queensland and Victoria that have seen so called sovereign citizens murder police officers. We will introduce the National buy Back Scheme to get guns off our streets and to help to assist to make all Australians safe.
Speaker 4: To get guns off the street, how about getting dangerous people off the street. It's everyone else's fault, but the fault of radical Islam. Fifteen innocent people were killed by two alleged jihadi sympathizers who police say were motivated by ISIS and the car they drove to Bondi had an ISIS flag.
Speaker 5: Twenty four year old Navin.
Speaker 4: Akram allegedly had links to Sydney's Almadina Dahwa Center, where he was allegedly distributing pamphlets for an Islamic street preaching group to spread the so called message.
Speaker 7: Read the spread the message the follows one and Muhammed lost miss and Dooa.
Speaker 8: O'cock both spread dalar where you can spread the message, not loads one wherever you can.
Speaker 3: Spread the message my pamphlets.
Speaker 9: Whether he won eye on and whether meaning healing or please guy, I will reward you or whatever action to do in your cause.
Speaker 10: Control of this will see you on the day of judgment.
Speaker 4: He also allegedly had links to hate preacher with some Hadad who's been spewing this sort of hate just thirty kilometers away from the scene of the massacre.
Speaker 11: I can't take away from the fact, first and foremost that jihad is definitely part of eld and as Muslims, we should never ever shy away from this. And yes there may be types of jihad, but of the peak of this jihad is that which the message of Muhammad Soalaladi was still and spoken about. And I'll read the hat it soon and that is fighting in the path of Allas origin a physical fight.
Speaker 4: But no, no, no cover your ears. Nothing at all to do with religion.
Speaker 5: This was all, of.
Speaker 4: Course about guns. Gun control will make you safe. Gun control will stop the hate being fested.
Speaker 5: Do I deny?
Speaker 4: Deny key reason why ASIO raised the terror threat level in August last year to probable because of more Australians embracing a range of extremist ideologies and an increased willingness to use violence to advance their political, ideological or religious objectives. But not, according to Anthony Aarbanesi.
Speaker 12: Radical Islam in your view, the greatest domestic security threat Australia faces.
Speaker 6: Well, the assessments are that that is one of the issues that we're dealing with. I want to deal with all of the threats, whether it be extremist perversions of Islam leading to support for the ideology promoted by Isis. Whether it be also concerned about the issue of sovereign citizens killing police in Victoria and Queensland. I'm concerned about Neo Nazis.
Speaker 4: There it goes again, deflecting in to sovereign citizen and right wing extremism territory. He was then pushed again by Sky News on the matter.
Speaker 12: Okay Sunday's attack and yesterday's police arrests, how many suspected Islamic extremists are on asio's watch list and considering these events, is radical Islam an enemy from within Australia? Are there too many people here who don't share Australia's values and culture.
Speaker 6: Well, when it comes to figures and Asia's work, I will leave those comments to the Director General and as to whether they wish to make those matters public, I can say this that one proponent of support for isis motivated by a perversion of Islam that leads to extremism is one too many.
Speaker 4: Well, the question is if it's a so called perversion of Islam, then what is he going to do about it? He's introduced gun reform, tighter hate speech laws even though existing laws he put in place have not been acted on, harsher penalties when it comes to online censorship, but no plans to deal with the heart of the issue. And we can't be surprised because he can't even bring himself to utter the words and say it out loud. Is a Prime minister going to shut down the mosques and centers in doctrinating radical Islam? How will he confront the doctrines that justify violence, like the Sahibukhari, which says the hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say, Oh, Muslim, there is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him. Will Muslim leaders come to the table on this and call it out. If a perversion of Islam has led to the deaths of fifteen Australians, then there's a serious responsibility on the part of the Prime Minister and Muslim community to address it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Of course, the majority of Muslims live peacefully in Australia and equally as horrorfied by what's happened in Bondai, But if parts of the community are allegedly carrying out terrorist acts in the name of Allah, then the conversation starts now about religiously motivated attacks, and it starts with our leaders.
Speaker 5: After having told.
Speaker 4: Us earlier in the week the Bondai massacre was not motivated by religion, the AFP commissioner duct and weaved again today when asked about it.
Speaker 13: There are groups and individuals across Australia who are eroding the country's social fabric by advocating hatred, fear and humiliation. And I'm not going to mince my words. Too much of this is directed at the Jewish community.
Speaker 5: Where is the hate coming from?
Speaker 4: Commissioner, Which group or individual is eroding our social fabric?
Speaker 5: Name it, call it out?
Speaker 4: At least the New South Wales Police Commissioner was willing to say the quiet part out loud.
Speaker 14: It is certainly one of our biggest security threats and we're certainly looking at radical Islamist extremism as.
Speaker 3: One of the ideologies. Sorry behind these males.
Speaker 4: Now, if the discussion about the so called perversion of Islam is avoided at all times, then how can we possibly work to dismantle it and quit the islamophobia cries? Every time Islam is brought up. Fifteen people have allegedly been murdered in cold blood due to radical Islam, just like the Link Cafe siege, the murder of Curtis Cheng, the attack on Bishop Marmari Emmanuel nine to eleven, the Barley bombings, the Paris attacks, the London bombings. I could go on and on, but of course nothing at all to do with religion, though right all to do with guns. Now, if this is not yet another wake up call for the Prime Minister to tackle extremism head on. Nothing will counter terror police have acted against another possible violent act from being carried out just days after Bondi, in a city already on edge, Police dramatically arrested seven men at gunpoint in Liverpool in Sydney Southwest yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 5: He was a police commissioner.
Speaker 14: I can say that the potential of a violent offense being committed was such that we were not prepared to tolerate the risk and interdicted accordingly. The information received was that Bondai may have been one of a number of locations that the males were intending to attend, but the reason for attending is unknown.
Speaker 4: Men's hands were zip tied behind their backs. As you can see, tactical officers armed with guns and wearing camouflage uniforms and helmets surrounded them. It appears also police for wheel drives crashed into the front of a Hyundai thirty, halting it in its tracks. Bean Bag rounds were also fired. Now I've got to say this is the sort of thing you'd expect to see in Gaza, something not in the middle of Sydney. I mean could you ever have imagined seeing scenes like that play out in our own backyard? And the Prime Minister said yesterday diversity is our strength.
Speaker 5: Give me a break.
Speaker 4: This is Anthony Aberneze's diversity at play. Deputy Commissioner Dave Hudson said the men are suspected of sharing the same extremist Islamic ideology as the Bondai attackers.
Speaker 2: We don't have definitive links between the individuals who committed these acrocities on Sunday and these yesterday, apart from potential commonality.
Speaker 3: In some thinking, that.
Speaker 1: Does sound like these people apprehended had a similar sort of ideological adherence to Islamic extremisn't as we've heard with the gunmt involved in the Bondi in the Bondai shooting.
Speaker 3: That's a bluef for this star jest.
Speaker 4: There's no established connection between the Liverpool arrests and the Bondai massacre. The men detained yesterday were known to Victorian police and a knife was seized from one.
Speaker 5: Of the vehicles.
Speaker 4: Sky News has also revealed that two of the men were under investigation by ASIO.
Speaker 9: It should give the Australian community, particularly Jewish Australians, but all Australian's confidence and comfort that asio the federal police in this case New Southwest on the job, they would be up on all of their networks, on all of their surveillance activities. Say it's a pretty high threshold.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: In the last few hours, New South Wales Police confirmed the seven men aged nineteen to twenty four have been released from custody without charge, pending further investigations.
Speaker 5: They say that.
Speaker 4: Police intercepted the men after receiving information that a violent act was possibly being planned. And my question is why go through all this to then release them? And I will ask the state's first counter terrorism Minister, David Elliott, that exact question shortly. But this is another very real reminder of the threat of Islamic extremism, the threat it poses to ask our values in the Jewish community. We know the warnings have been there for two years and it's culminated in the murders of fifteen people, including a ten year old girl. My colleague Sharry Markson spoke exclusively to Israeli Prime.
Speaker 5: Minister Benjamin Netnyahu about it.
Speaker 2: I call now too, for the intensification of security arrangements around Jewish institutions I'll talk about that a little more. Yep, going actively against these terrorist cells and these radical Islamic cells, acting to put them in jail, stop them before they act. Yes, I wanted all that to be done. And I say now to the Australian government, damn it, wake up. You don't need any more warnings. You've already received enough.
Speaker 4: The question is when will Anthony Albanezi listen joining me now live from Bondai. Is former Labor MP Joel Fitzgibbon. Joel really appreciate you joining us from Bondai. I know that you've been down there today paying your own respects, and we can see that the flowers behind you, they've just grown bigger, the memorials bigger and bigger as the days go on. Look, I have to ask you firstly about Labour's response to this. There's been a lot of anger in the Jewish community, particularly when it comes to the warnings have been there about anti Semitism. Has Labor failed in its duty to protect Jewish Australians Tanisa?
Speaker 15: There are so many unanswered questions. I mean, if Hummus hadn't crossed the Israeli border and murdered twelve hundred years. Would this terrible event we are dealing with now have happened if Israel had not taken such a forceful response. Would this event have happened if a mass had just headed back the hostages and laid down their arms. Would this terrible event have happened if the thresholds to the listing of terrorist scripts or for hate speech had been lowered earlier? Would this terrible event have taken place. We don't know the answer to any of these questions. But if there is one relatively good thing for one of a better term, to come out out of this horror and this evil, is that people now understand that this can happen in Australia. As terrible as it is, it is a reality check. And I don't think any Australian government in any jurisdiction in the future, when considering matters public policy that goes to the safety of our community, will ever will ever I'm not saying they have in the past, but will ever defer to anything else than doing all that they can to make sure everything possible is done and in every political calculus, even if it's there's a risk that's going to offend some other community, for example, I think in the future, people in elected office will be making sure that the take every opportunity to make us all safe.
Speaker 4: But shouldn't they have taken every opportunity from the start? I mean, can you understand the I guess the feelings of the Jewish community right now. They've said that this was their worst nightmare. This is what they were worried about, from the moment of the steps of the Sydney Opera House to the week in, week out, the marches that were seeing taking place in cities across the country that they were warning they were worried that it would end up resulting in the deaths, and now the deaths of fifteen people. I mean, should Labor have not taken a hard line stance from the steps of the Sydney Opera House.
Speaker 15: I certainly understand their anger and their sorrow. I mean, it's very confronting coming down here, emotionally challenging, and so you'd expect that from the Jewish community, particularly that here in Bondai. But both the Prime Minister and the Premier of New South Wales have both conceded if you like that, with the benefit of hindsight, more would would have been done, and I think the important thing is as we make our way through this terrible process, I think the important thing is that in the future more will be done, and I think there'll be many months available to us when the grief dies down a bit, the anger dies down a bit, the sorrow dies down a bit for us to have a broader post mortemon about as to whether more should have been done over the course of the period since October seventh, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: The Prime Minister did go to the memorial that the one that you're at right now. He went on Monday morning, early morning. Hasn't been back since. Should he be going back because it seems like he's avoiding it because of the reception that he might receive.
Speaker 15: Well, I don't know. He might come back, but he has been here and he's been just about everywhere else in the five days since this terrible event, visit the people in hospital, people in their homes, spending church services and other Jewish services, etc. So he's been a National security committee, he's been in the cabinet, he's been a national cabinet.
Speaker 5: But should he go back, should he go both back to bond.
Speaker 3: Die right now?
Speaker 15: Well, that's the matter for him, Denigo. I mean you made the point yourself that he might not necessarily be welcomed here. I don't know whether that's true or not, but you've got to be smart with the allocation of your time. I'm sure he's prioritizing the things that can make a difference in a positive way for both the victims and their families and all those in the Jewish community who understandably still don't feel particularly safe.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: Look, it's been a really really bad week, Joff. It's given I so appreciate you joining me.
Speaker 4: I know that it's a very emotional time down there at Bondi for everybody right now. As I said, those floral tributes are getting bigger. Thank you so much for joining me on the show.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it. Thanks to that for joining me.
Speaker 4: Now is the Nationals leader David Little proud, David, thank you for joining me. As I mentioned earlier, the Prime Minister announced a gun buyback scheme today in the wake of BONDI.
Speaker 5: Is that the answer? Do you support it?
Speaker 3: Well, it's not the answer. This is a desperate diversion.
Speaker 16: I mean he's announced a buyback when no state has actually announced any changes to.
Speaker 3: Any gun laws whatsoever.
Speaker 16: In fact, the New South Wales Premier hasn't even provided any legislation to the opposition in New South Wales and in Queensland.
Speaker 3: The Premier here is in na hurry.
Speaker 16: In fact, he's saying that the sensible reform is the gun Register, not about any changes to licenses.
Speaker 3: Licenses aren't the problem.
Speaker 16: It's the Islamic extremists in this country that have been allowed to permeate and allowed to set up in Australia and that have been able to flourish for the last two and a half years. When the warning signs were there and they started on the steps Sydney Opera House and they just escalated, and you know, to hear Joel fitzgiven, I mean, that was one of the most weakest responses that I've heard. I know Joel, and I know he'd want to say they got it wrong, and you know what, he would take more courage and it would give more respect to the Prime Minister today if he just said sorry, they got it wrong. They let themselves, they let the ideology get in the road of tackling what has become a shift in our society that needs to be shifted back. We need to look ourselves in the eye and say our society has denigrated to a point that we need serious leadership. And there is anger and there is frustration, not just in Bondi but in Western Queenslan. I have never seen the fear in the people that I represents eyes apart from the nine to eleven events, than what I saw on Monday morning. And they feel helpless because they feel leaderless. And what they want is able to look to somebody and say we want to do something. We want to poor our hearts out to these people, the Jewish community and the people in Bondai, but there's no one to help us. We should be in Canberra now, all of us. We should be in Canberra now passing legislation and saying to the Australian people we will bring them together.
Speaker 3: We've looked ourselves in the.
Speaker 16: Eye, and the Prime Minister should say sorry that he got it wrong, and we should get on with the job of saying to the Australian people, we will bring you together because we will keep you safe and we will cut we will cut this cancer out of our society that has been allowed to fester because of what has been imported into this country and what is allowed to be spewed out of preachers from the paupits across Sydney and Melbourne unabated, and there's the warning signs were there and I don't know how this Prime Minister cannot stand up and say sorry and for the Labor Party, please just bring us together for God's sakes.
Speaker 4: I Graham and the Prime Minister today was asked about radical Islam and he diverts to perversion of Islam and to guns, to blaming, you know, the far right, even.
Speaker 5: The sovereign citizens were brought up today.
Speaker 4: What does tackling radical Islam look like in your view?
Speaker 16: Well, there's two parts of this, and one comes from the report that they're already sitting on and been sitting on for six months from Gillian Siegel, their Special Envoy. Recommendation nine said that there needs to be the greatest scrutiny and screening of people that we bring into this country for not only anti Semitism but also for extremist views.
Speaker 3: That could have been done already, but.
Speaker 16: We should also from those warning signs that we saw on the steps of the Sydney Opera House, we need to say to those people that want to use forums across our country to try and promote hate and promote violence, that there is a consequence in society.
Speaker 3: You need a deterrent in consequence.
Speaker 16: And even Anthony Alberinezi and Burke said that these preachers have just gone underneath the law. They've always worked just around it. Will you change the law when you see that things are changing on the streets of your cities and you lower the bar. And if they have dual citizenship, you send them to the country that they've got the other citizenship with or if they don't have, you get them out of here as quick as you can. And those that are Australian citizens need to be isolated from society so they can't permeate that hate. They need to be isolated away so that there's a consequence and a terran It's not rocket science. And when the warning signs were there for over two years.
Speaker 3: This is why people are angry.
Speaker 16: They're frustrated and they want to pour out love and hope, but they've got no one to look up to because this Prime Minister has done three fifths of bugger or.
Speaker 5: Look, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: And the warnings have also been coming from Israel pretty strongly overnight the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nenya, who spoke exclusively with my colleague Sharry Marks, and here was his warning, have a listen.
Speaker 2: There was a bottle region in the world before, between the forces of modernity and moderation and the forces who wanted to take us back to the early Middle Ages. That's what these people are about. Now.
Speaker 3: They het Israel.
Speaker 2: Let me tell their head Jews, let me tell you they also hate Australia. They burn our flag, but they'll burn your flag and they'll burn you. So understand that they're against our common civilization.
Speaker 5: Strong words there. What do you make of his intervention.
Speaker 3: Well, he's spot on.
Speaker 16: And if you look at some of the people that marching across the bridges of Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane, who have alternate lifestyles to many of those that they're walking for, I suspect that what they.
Speaker 3: Don't realize is that if their way.
Speaker 16: Of life takes over here, then their way of life is going to be seriously impinged.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 16: I don't know what could have been a bigger wake up call when a synagogue was Firebond that this was a threat and that we were under attack in this country, but to culminate in Australians being slaughtered, Jewish Australia being targeted, that that is just the biggest signal anyone can say that we are in a war against those that would do.
Speaker 3: Harm to our way of life.
Speaker 16: And if we are not vigilant, if we are not vigilant, not only will we not be safe, but we will be handing over society to the.
Speaker 3: Next generation that has diminished.
Speaker 16: And we've been fortunate and we are the current custodians of a society that was functional, but over the last two and a half years it's become dysfunctional. And it's our responsibility and as legislators, I mean, given the privileged position to go to Parliament and preserve that and that's where I should be now, and that's where Anthony Albanezi should be now, changing the way of this country so that we're handing over a society that isn't dysfunctional and we're facing up to the real threats that our country is facing. That's leadership and that's what's missing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, otherwise it's all talk, no action, and that's what we've seen for more than two years now, and that's the problem, David little Proud, appreciate you joining me. Thank you so much for your time. Well, the fifth eighth victim of the bond Eyed tragedy has been identified as Tanya Tretyak, who died whilst saving a child. All the victims have now been named following the terror attack on Sunday. Joining me now is Rabbi Daniel Rabin from the core Field Shawl. Rabbi, thank you so much. Look, I mean, it's been such an awful, awful week for your community. All of the victims have been named now five days on. How is the community doing and what do you need to hear right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, thank you Denny Katz. It has been a very very challenging week obviously. As a community rabbi, I speak to many of my congregants, whether from this congregation or the general Jewish community, and it's the same sentiment, you know, It's like, you know, although we may not necessarily be related, we are one big family, and so it's one big family morning the loss and of course coming to terms of what happened. I remember just where I was at that moment. I was at a big kind of a function here in Melbourne, and as I was leaving, you know, the security personnel came to me and said, Rabbi, there's just been a shooting in Bondi and I had in process what they're in.
Speaker 10: There was a Tonica function and some people have been killed.
Speaker 8: And then obviously shortly after as we saw the gunment, the terrorists on that bridge and an image which I think none of us will ever forget. I was in Bondai actually yesterday and at the vigil at the site, many of many people coming over to me, and Jewish community members of Bondai, and they, even if they weren't there at the time, their sense of safety, their sense of who they are has been really really challenged, and it's going to take time for them to sort of come back to, you know, feeling comfortable in their own in their own community.
Speaker 4: It's just awful and it's unfathomable. And of course we've seen the funerals this week every day this week as well. I want to ask you about this. Anti Zionist Jews and Palestinian protesters are playing to stand together in Melbourne tomorrow, they say, to quote mourn the victims of the massacre and at the same time reject the slur that the Palestine Solidarity movement bears responsibility for the attack. What's your response to this occurring not even a week after?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I saw that the other day. It really upset me.
Speaker 8: From the very basic humanity of you know, families are still morning. You know, in Judaism we have what we called the Shiva time, which is the first seven days which are the most severe part of the morning process.
Speaker 10: And you know, the bodies, if you like, we're still warm.
Speaker 8: And hear these people trying to excuse themselves, trying to hijack that cause and to sort of just ignore the pain and the suffering, to not even take a moment of self reflection of saying, let's just pause and think, maybe our actions have cause have contributed to this. Maybe us coming and continuing every week to shout out and saying zionis the terrorists and zionus the pigs.
Speaker 10: Maybe people are connecting that to the Jewish community. But instead they doubled down, so they're not even cancer. Apparently they were canceling it, but now they're not canceling it.
Speaker 8: Now they're going on Monday, I believe, And now it's all about, you know, focusing on this anti Zionist, that we are not responsible and we have nothing to do with the Jewish community, and you know, hating Zionism has nothing to.
Speaker 10: Do with hating Jewish people.
Speaker 8: And I don't know how you can be so naive or cruel perhaps to do this, as I said during the same week that these families are still mourning, and to say that we're doing it to mourn the victims of the Bondei massacre. I can assure you now the families that I know from the Bondei massacre would be insulted and would say these people have no shame to do this in the week that they're grieving.
Speaker 4: It's just it's unfathomable, you know. I mean, after everything that's happened to do to put a display on like this tomorrow, it's really appalling. Rabbi Daniel Rabin, as I said, condolence as to the community. It's been a really, really tough week and just a terrible way as well to end this year. I really appreciate you joining me. Thank you so much for your time. Well still to come. Seven men arrested during a police operation in Sydney on suspicion of planning a violent attack and motivated by extremist Islamic ideology, have been least from custody.
Speaker 5: That are more with my panel.
Speaker 4: Next joining me now is forming New South Wales Police and counter Terrorism Minister David Elliott and New South Wales Independent MP Tanya Mahalek. Thanks to both of you for joining me. It's been a massive week here in Sydney. I want to start with this police operation. Seven men were arrested yesterday in Liverpool, but they've just been released from custody pending further investigations.
Speaker 5: Police intercepted the.
Speaker 4: Men, aged between nineteen and twenty four after receiving information that a violent act was possibly being planned. David, in the scenes we saw yesterday, these men had their hands zip tied behind their backs. He had the tactical unit out in their camouflage gear. A massive intercept that had their guns there. But now they've been released, even though police did acknowledge earlier that they were driven by extremist ideology. You have some further detail on why they have been released.
Speaker 5: What can you tell us?
Speaker 17: Yeah, well, first of all, you got to realize the police at the moment, I am not going to let anything slip through the fingers. So they are going to be If somebody walks across the road out in front of a singing agog against the lights, they'll probably get picked up at the moment. So that's reassuring. That's reassuring. So the advice I've got was that the high level of intelligence just was not met when they when it came to them apprehending the suspects, the information that they had was not in reality in the vehicles, and that included the belief that there could be weapons there. And so therefore twenty four hours later, they've got no reason to withhold them. There weren't any weapons, There wasn't any you know, there wasn't any material. It suggests that they were they were going to commit an offense. But I can tell you that the police are very confident that they are monitoring the people that they should be monitoring.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I mean, after all that, then so should the part. What would be the message then to the public at about these seven Well, the.
Speaker 17: Message of public is if you see somebody that is suspicious, you've got to ring the hotline or the police. But the message the public is also is we still have rule of law here. So if intelligence that is gathered leads to police operations that aren't fulfilled. That's because we have rule of law, and if you are illegally detained by the police one day, you should be grateful that that occurs. But that doesn't mean that intelligence agencies and the police are not continuing there their watch. I'd be pretty sure that these people are going to continue to be under watch by one agency or another or all of them.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I'm sure that gives the public a little bit of reassurance given what we saw.
Speaker 5: It was almost like the scenes out of Gaza. You don't expect to see.
Speaker 4: Town in the middle of Sydney, So that gives some reassurance then to the public. But Tanya, is this not another reminder of the threat that Islamic extremism opposes in.
Speaker 5: This country right now?
Speaker 18: Absolutely, and I think it's also a reminder what we have to worry about is actually copycat behavior. That's what I'm worried about, because every time you have a major attack, almost invitibly, you will have in visuals will be inspired by the same ideology to then committed a copycat attack or event. So credit to the police for being vigilant. It might for some people be a bit much to watch the police bring these guys down, But the reality is the police need to be vigilant and we should be very grateful that the counterterror experts and police are doing everything they can to keep Australian safe. I do have to say we all have to be on our as alert as possible when it comes to radical Islam. It is a major issue for Australians right now. I think it is the one issue that we need our leaders to really address.
Speaker 5: I know there's a.
Speaker 18: Lot of laws that are going to be passed potentially next week, and we've had a bit of discussion about that. We'll discuss it further.
Speaker 5: But the real.
Speaker 18: Issue, the real issue where we have dropped the ball in Australia is about how we eradicate radical Islam. We actually have to focus our attention and our laws to be able to support police. And David mentions they're working with the rule of the law. They can only do what they can with the law that's before them, but we actually need to find laws that assist us in eradicating radical Islam from Australia.
Speaker 4: I was prefaced by saying, you know, we're not accusing these seven men of any terrorism at all, and police made it clear that they are at the moment no links to what happened in Bondai. But let's talk about radical Islam and the threat that it poses on what needs to happen. Because the Prime Minister was out there today talking about guns. That's the big gun gun buyback scheme.
Speaker 5: Why are we.
Speaker 4: Dancing around radical Islam and what do we need to do? You were the state's first counter terrorism minister, so you know a lot about what goes on.
Speaker 5: What do we need to do?
Speaker 17: You know, for the years that I was the counter terrorism minister and nobody really raised guns with me. It was all about radical Islam. It was all about making sure that the moderates in the Islamic community worked with us, They trusted us, they had dialogue with the other faiths so that they could have made sure that the interpretation of Islam was never skewiffed. And that's what's happened.
Speaker 3: It's been whift.
Speaker 17: It has been taken out of context and people have used that to justify ungodly and unspeakable actions. So it's it's actually not I mean, we four million guns in this country is ridiculous. The fact that we've got people with so many guns in their own homes is stupid. I was I certainly was always cheering on the gun law reforms of John Howard and subsequent gun law reforms. But this person was not motivated by his ability to get a gun. He didn't just go and get a gun these offenders and say right, we're going to brust to join up. These were people that wanted to selectively target a racial minority and do as much damage and courts as much fear as possible.
Speaker 5: Allegedly, we have to say allegedly, of.
Speaker 17: Course, allegedly, But I'm pretty confident facing a court and say that these guys are bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, look, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: And we saw today the new South Wales Premier, Tanya.
Speaker 5: He came out and unveiled new police powers to block public assemblies.
Speaker 4: Like protests during high risk times.
Speaker 5: Again, is that the answer? Is that what we need? Yeah?
Speaker 18: Look, I think I'm into minds about this and I'll wait to see the legislation when it's presented next week. I don't want to see a situation where we stop people from being able to protest about the Voice for example, referendum where we don't want to stop people from campaigning or protesting against offshore or wind farms for example. We have all sorts of protests in Australia. What we need to be focused on is the ones that are about the focus on inciting hatred. It's how do we protect people from those type of protests. And also what I would like the Premier and indeed the Prime Minister to focus on is their own colleagues who actually tune up to some of these protests. That's the relationship is they stand side by side with preachers of hate they stand, they're normalizing radical Islam. They're standing with people that they have no idea what their real ideology is or what they actually stand for, and they're being photographed with these people. That's what the problem we have in Australia. It's not the protest itself, it's the fact that members of the government have normalized this and support people within these protests that have very extreme and radical.
Speaker 4: Views exactly and this and you know what, the Prime ministere needs to come out and say it out loud and stop dancing around the topic.
Speaker 5: And the AFP Commissioner as well.
Speaker 17: That's very disappointing from the AFP commissioner. I think that she had a responsibility and she's talking about that. I'm not going to mince my words while she she has minced her words, and she's made the suggestion that it is any is. I mean the eye in isis means Islamic exactly. I don't know how anybody can suggest that this is not faith based. But the concern about protests for me is that it's okay to I don't care you protest now might get my way when I'm doing an afternoon shopping, I don't care. But if you incite violence, and it's we've got to a situation where if I went outside and yelled out that we should be shooting Esquimos, I'd get arrested.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 17: But if I'm an Islamic cleric and I call for the death of Jews at a rally, well, then apparently that's just part of the religious practice. And we had and when the courts interpret this sort of law, so inconsequent quench about it and inconsistently.
Speaker 4: Well, the court of Law did make it a judgment on this and with Haddad a couple of months ago, and they said that his preaching was indeed, so there was a case that once once we've had a court of law say that, look we've got to go. It's been a massive week. I so appreciate you both joining me and thank you for you also coming on.
Speaker 5: The show this year.
Speaker 4: Tanya and David, thank you very much and I hope you both have a nice Christmas as well. Still to come, Jim Chalmers spendeth on hits the budget bottom line. I'll catch up with Dimitri Burstein and Life to London for the UK's reaction to.
Speaker 5: The Bondo massacre.
Speaker 4: Or The Treasurer delivered the first update to the nation's finances since the election this week, claiming twenty billion dollars in savings, but his own spending policy decisions hit the budget by at least one point seven billion this financial year. Joining me now is Dimitri Birchstein from Eminence Advisory. Dmitri, how can Jim spin his way out of his own spending mess?
Speaker 19: Hi, Denika, thanks for having me on your show. Well, the Treasure's budget update is probably better call the standz of MAIFO. The claim that the budget and the economy improving isn't technically a lie it's simply something the Treasurer seems to believe. MAIFO shows continued expected revenue growth to be met by equal and offsetting spending growth one hundred million dollars of close to one hundred million dollars in off budget spending. Over the forward estimates, debt will continue to increase. Expect it to hit one point two trillion dollars within three years, and I will remind you and your viewers that it was essentially zero eighteen years ago. Interest payments on that debt are the fastest growing item in the budget and will grow at around eleven percent perannum. The NDIS is going to keep growing at eight percent per annum, childcare payments six percent, all the while the economy is growing in anemic to expected to grow it in an emic two and a half percent, and that's probably on the high side. All this means that is that government is a proportion of the economy will continue to grow and grow towards European levels.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean that NDIS is an absolute behemoth. And I know as well, Dimitri. There's been a five billion dollar blowout to the government scheme to subsidize home batteries five billion dollars, so just the justification just is extraordinary.
Speaker 19: Well, it's actually more than five billion, it's about eleven billion. The original budget was meant to be two point three billion, and it's now projected to be closed to fourteen. You'd think it was the budget and the planning was put together by the NBNCo or Snowy Hydro given the blowout. But what they're trying to do is to cap the scheme at seven point two billion, which is where five billion blowout comes in. But I suspect by the time the budget gets updated again come May next year, it'll be higher yet again.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's generations to come. We're going to be paying for it. Dmitri burs Stein, thanks so much for the update on that.
Speaker 5: Really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Well, let's go back to Bondai now for more international reaction, we'll go to the UK. Joining me is Spiked chief political writer Brendan O'Neill. Brendan, thanks for your time. You've written this week about the Bondai massacre, saying the hatred for the Jewish state is endangering the Jewish people. As twenty twenty five comes to a close, one question matters above all others. Are you on the side of the Jews or are you not? Their safety and our civilization depend on how we answer. I think that's a really interesting question to pose, because the reality is where to now?
Speaker 20: That's the question, what do we do next?
Speaker 7: And you know, twenty twenty five has been a terrible year for Jewish people in the West. Let's be honest about it. You know, an elderly Jewish lady was burnt to death in Colorado.
Speaker 20: Back in June.
Speaker 7: We saw the shoot outside the Capital Jewish Museum in Washington, d C. Where a young couple were killed. There was the Young Kippor massacre in Manchester which killed two Jews here in England. And of course now we've got Bondai. I mean, this is awful, This is unspeakably bad. And I think once again, as throughout history, Jews are bearing the brunt of all the mistakes that our societies are making, the turn against Israel, our rejection of civilizational values, our poorest borders.
Speaker 20: We're letting in the wrong people.
Speaker 7: We have an Islamist problem which we're unwilling to talk about, unwilling to confront.
Speaker 20: Because of all these mistakes we're making. The Jewish community are having a really hard time, so I think we've got to stand with them, and more important that we've got to stand with the values of civilization that the Islamist people really really hate.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: In the end, radical Islam is incompatible with Western democracies, Yet our Western democratic leaders dance around the topic that I want to address it.
Speaker 5: Brendan, UK police are.
Speaker 4: Targeting those who chant globalize the interfarty in the world of Bondai.
Speaker 5: It's taken the murder.
Speaker 4: Of fifteen innocent people, fifteen minutes a people for the world to actually start acting on this.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, it's shocking that it took this long. Jewish people and Jewish community groups in Britain have been begging protesters for more than two years not to use that chant because they say it's an incitement to anti Jewish violence, and that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 7: People say, well, Intofada just means uprising, or it just refers to kids throwing stones at the IDF in the nineteen eighties during the first into Fada. That's not true. We all know what Intofada means. The second into Fada, which lasted up to two thousand and five, was hamass style violence against hundreds and hundreds of Jews in Israel. It was a racist orgy of violence against the Jewish people of the Jewish state. When you say globalize the Intofada, that is what you are calling for. And when you said in the wake of seventh of October, that's exactly what you're calling for.
Speaker 20: You're calling for more.
Speaker 7: Violence against Jews and Jewish community groups say please stop using this chant and they were completely ignored, they were completely written off, and now we've had to have the police intervene. So protesters have been saying that most awful things, and I think that it took Bondai to really have a reckoning with that is quite shocking.
Speaker 5: It is it's a blight on our leaders.
Speaker 4: It's just it's been I can't believe it's taken this for them to act. Brendan a group of protesters from prescribed terror group Palestine Action. They're on a hunger strike in the UK, but this week radical leftists held a vigil for them. So not for the victims of Bondai, but for this prescribed terror group who've chosen themselves to go on a hunger strike.
Speaker 5: What does it tell you?
Speaker 20: It tells you a lot. I think history will remember this.
Speaker 7: History will remember that three or four days after the worst attack on Jews in Australia's history, people radical leftists in London and in Dublin gathered to pay tribute not to those Jewish people, but to this group called Palestine Action, which has contributed to the whole climate of Israelophobia, which is now a prescribed group. It's prescribed as a terror organization. It has done some awful things, including allegedly smashing up Jewish owned businesses in parts of London. The fact that they had a vigil for them, those hunger strikers, rather than for the Jews who were killed by suspected Islamo fascists at Bondi. That tells you everything you need to know about the left. They claim to be anti racist, they claim to be anti fascist, and yet they have nothing to say about this fascistic assault on the Jews of Australia. They couldn't get care less about Jews. And that's another reason why as we're going into twenty twenty six, it's incumbent on more of us.
Speaker 20: To stand with the Jewish community against this threat.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, as you know, the world should have from day one, Brendan O'Neill. Always appreciate your insights. Thank you so much for joining me on the show. Well still to come the heroes of BONDI always Roberts would join me to pay tribute. Next welcome back joining me now is Sky News contributor Louise Roberts.
Speaker 5: Louise, thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 4: I thought we'd end the show today by talking about the heroes of Bondie, and gosh, there's so many. Every day, more and more tales of such incredible bravery. Let's start with Chaya Didon, the fourteen year old who left her safe spot to shield two kids.
Speaker 5: Have a look at this.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I'm doing it.
Speaker 21: Whatever happens is for the good, and if I die saving kids' lives, then that best way I would want to die, because that's what God wanted from you.
Speaker 4: That was her speaking with Sharry Marst. I mean, she's fourteen years old.
Speaker 5: Extraordinary credible, isn't it.
Speaker 22: Extraordinary maturity and just her love for her fellow him being outstanding. I mean, she was in a safe spot when the guns started firing at the group of people. She had managed to get under a bench to safety and didn't have to come out, and no one would blame it if she didn't come out, to be honest, But she looked out in the area where she was when there'd been a pause in the firing, and noticed an elderly lady and another woman saying, please save my children. So within a split second, no hesitation, ran out, got the kids, shielded them and brought them to safety, and in the process of doing that, of course, got shot herself in her thigh.
Speaker 5: I mean, she's.
Speaker 22: Recovered, she's obviously been in hospital talking to Shari there, which is a beautiful interview.
Speaker 5: But that was a beautiful interview.
Speaker 22: I just think, you know, what an outstanding role model, what leadership qualities this young woman has that we've seen lacking in so many other areas this week, haven't we.
Speaker 5: Oh, absolutely just selfless, just incredibly.
Speaker 4: And then of course there's police officers as Jacki Gibbett, he was the probationary officer who has now sadly lost sight in one of his eyes. And Ces Baratza, the cop who fired that lethal shot and I was reading earlier in the week in the Daily Telegraph he actually fired it from forty meters away. Yes, and some of the most seasoned cops says it would have been extremely difficult that shot because not only was he shooting at a target, but also being fired upon himself. And you know, again it's the first responders, it's the police, it's the life savers. Yet lifeguards just again, incredible bravery.
Speaker 22: Incredible bravery, And doesn't it show our police force that do not hesitate when we need them to act on our behalf and stop a crime like this, They all stepped up. Med Young Jack Hibbert twenty two, as you say, knew in the face four months, has now lost sight in one eye. But again he ran towards the alleged government. He didn't run away. He was shot from the front, shot in the head and shot in the shoulder and is fortunately recovering. But that's a life changing injury. For him to lose the side in his eye at twenty two, absolutely devastating him. And he's only a year older than my son. So this one particularly cuts deep for me because I think his poor parents knowing he joined the force to do such good and he's been injured only four months in But I believe Lannin's talking about a role for him that he can stay within the police, which is terrific as well, which.
Speaker 5: Is really great.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I remember I can't thank our the heroes of Bondi enough. I mean, there's just there's so many to name, and very speaking about it all week and we just thank you so much for your bravery.
Speaker 5: It'bsolutely incredible.
Speaker 4: I will also show some vision today of thousands of city siders who pack North Bondai beachfront for this moving paddle out in honor of the victims of the massacre that claimed fifteen innocent lives.
Speaker 5: Have listened to one of them speaking afterwards, it's.
Speaker 8: Pretty obvious it wasn't just a tack on the Jews.
Speaker 10: Look around, it's a tack on all of us.
Speaker 5: Well he's not wrong, No, he's not wrong.
Speaker 4: But the scenes that we saw there this morning, it's quite emotional when you see.
Speaker 5: It's very paddle out, it's very evocative.
Speaker 22: And it's such an Australian thing to do. It's such a way to commemorate loss in this way that people go out on their boards and their kayaks and canoes and people swimming as well from the shore, which is not an easy task through the waves there and you can see from that footage that they managed to form a heart shape as well and got solidarity amongst each other as well out there to say, we've reclaimed the beach. The beach is where as Australians we relax and enjoy ourselves.
Speaker 5: At a spiritual place.
Speaker 22: It's our spiritual place. You're with friends, but you also welcome strangers too.
Speaker 5: So absolutely well.
Speaker 4: Look, we haven't prayed for a better year yes year, but a big week. Louise Roberts, thank you so much for joining me, really really appreciate it. Thank you so much for your company this year. Thank you for making me part of your home on Friday nights. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. That's it from me. Up next is Steve Price.
Speaker 5: Good night,