Speaker 1: Lateens General, Welcome to the Late Debates.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the program. I'm Caleb Bond with Liztora and Joe hildebrand Well. Electric vehicles may not be the great environmental panaser. Who would have thought it, But one university has a solution. Will tell you what it is later in the show when we get into the papers, will tell you the Australian suburb whose tapwater has the most cancer causing chemicals in the country. And two Russian women have been arrested on suspicion of murder. The reason they allegedly murdered this man will shock you. But first over at VIC Rhodes, it's been a case of wrong way go back because they've looked at all the regio renewal notices they have sent out for the next financial year.
Speaker 3: So these are.
Speaker 2: People whose regio are due in July and onwards, and they've worked out that one hundred and eighty thud thousand people have been undercharged and they are threatening that if you don't pay up the extra money they want from you, your car is going to be unregistered. Now, basically what happened was they were sitting there at VIC Rhodes, and of course, you know, we know, bureaucrats have got nothing better to do than not look at the work in front of them, so they just hit the button that sent off the regio renewal notices, which in Victoria usually come by email. What they failed to do was add on the price hike that comes for the new financial year, which is three point four percent. So people have received their renewal notice and gone, you see that looks like the same amount it was for the last three months. They've paid it, assuming that from July onwards their car will continue to be registered. But the Transport Department says, no, we actually want more money from you. People who got the email saying we need more money or your car is not going to be registered, they thought it was a scam. One motorist was quoted in the Herald sound Is saying there are so many dodgy emails and texts going around and then I got one from VIC Rhodes saying they want me to pay more. And you can understand why you would read that and go, hang on a minute, this smells a little bit. Vic rhads itself has said incorrect pressing on registration renewal notices was recently sent to some customers. This has now been fixed, but we apologize for any inconvenience. Cause now I'm sorry Joe.
Speaker 3: If Roads sends you.
Speaker 2: A renewal notice and you pay the amount was written on the renewal notice, you know, tough titties. If they didn't put the right amount of money on it, you paid it. You deserve to get what you paid all week money.
Speaker 4: Let's just have it so that it's fair for both parties. I'm going to give VIC Rhodes what I think I owe them, and then if they complained that it's not enough, oh no, I'm sorry, but that was what I felt that you were entitled to pay. This is just this is phenomenal. So just to recap, just to put this in context, we are in the middle of a cost of living crisis. The Victorian government is jacking up the price of its registrations to help fill the budget black hole caused by all its COVID lockdowns. It then forgets that it's actually doing this savage, just out of control cash grab, sends it for the previous amount, and then has to remind almost two hundred thousand people that it's actually charging them more, and that this then gets interpreted by said people as so hopelessly, transparently incompetent and such a malicious, bare face, shameless cash grab that it must be a scam from a Nigerian prince. This is the level we have gotten to in the People's Republic and it is just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. Registration in Victoria is extortionate. I've had a car registered in Victoria.
Speaker 5: You can't be worse than New South What minds you to this state? I seriously, it gave me.
Speaker 6: Anxiety, the ridiculous system. Seriously, if New South Walians, yes, that is a term, because I keep using it.
Speaker 5: And you have a winning idea. How straightforward this is.
Speaker 6: In my home state of Western Australia, it would curl your hair. No pink slip, green slip, blue slip nonsense. You just pay your red Joe and included in that is your comprehensive insurance and none of this all the colors of the rainbow jolly slips.
Speaker 5: You again, forget different.
Speaker 4: Things from green slip mechanic. He's going to grease. I don't know if he's coming back.
Speaker 5: It is a cash strap.
Speaker 6: He just made up the most complex system that they possibly can, so New South Wales can pocket all this rubbish.
Speaker 5: Rubbish. You're raising money on rubbish. A pink slip.
Speaker 6: Now you need a blue slip, the green slip. Yeah, okay, that one's needed. But just call it what it is instead.
Speaker 3: Of at least to South Wales they rip you off to your face.
Speaker 2: True, but they have a slip. It's called that we got it wrong slip here it is coming under your door, please pay us more money. I don't know how they can legitimately get away with this because if your sension, if you perform a job for someone, or someone performs a job for you, and they send you the invoice, and the invoice is it's payable by this date. It's two thousand dollars to have your plumbing done. Right, you pay the two thousand dollars to your plumber.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a good deal.
Speaker 2: Argument, It is a good deal. But for argument's sake, right, then the plumber comes back to you a month later and oh, sorry, mate, I undercharge you for that.
Speaker 5: Yeast.
Speaker 2: The government, the government can just say, oh, we got it wrong, we want to charge you more money.
Speaker 6: Is firstly a ginormous bungle that they have not given any explanation for not that we need one.
Speaker 5: It's government. We know that you're incompetent.
Speaker 6: Above all else, but you wouldn't think that in the middle of a cost of living crisis.
Speaker 5: You just save face.
Speaker 6: And be like, you know what, I just thought you wo'd help you guys out.
Speaker 4: In the message explaining how much they've stuffed it up, they almost try to get some credit by fixing the screw up that they did in the first but they say, you know, incorrect pricing and registers was recently sent some cases this has now been fixed.
Speaker 3: Well done.
Speaker 6: You store in Australia, if something is unclearly priced, you are more than entitled to buy it for the.
Speaker 5: Lower price or to steal it again. If you've invoiced me twice.
Speaker 3: Just take that.
Speaker 5: Surely I'm under Do you remember to cough up the rest?
Speaker 4: Do you remember when they first introduced the scanners and everyone said, oh, those to check out scanners.
Speaker 3: They're never going to work. That's a rip off.
Speaker 4: It's never going to catch on. We need to check out chicks and all the supermarkets said, you know what if it scans the wrong price. Every says, how do we know it's the right price. They said, it scans the wrong price, and it's less. That's it. That's yours for that price.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: If it doesn't scan properly or whatever, it's yours for free. What happened to that?
Speaker 5: Try to try not know about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said it everywhere.
Speaker 6: I'm literally just going to camp out in the self serve checkouts now and every time someone puts their hand up because another one of those babies is malfunctioning, I will just be like, did you know they promise this would be free?
Speaker 5: Because it's just stuffing up in.
Speaker 2: Human Rights Warrior moving on now.
Speaker 5: Too, Yes, no, I am. I love this stuff.
Speaker 6: Did you know that if a store has their policy saying, oh, after thirty days you can't return this, or it's on sale, you can't return this. Both those things are complete bogus.
Speaker 5: Ladies, especially tune in.
Speaker 3: If you were in the Consumer Watch, I would be.
Speaker 6: Checking more than thirty days, literally, and I've never lost once when I go to the counter and I say, look, I understand that's what you're taught.
Speaker 5: To say, and that's your store policy.
Speaker 6: But according to Australian consumer law, you've got to give me my money back because I'm bringing your product back. End of the manager refunds you every single time because they.
Speaker 5: Know you're right. But to more fury.
Speaker 6: Now in the state of Victoria, this one is truly unbelievable. So, as we all know, we have concurrent crises unfolding, the housing crisis, the cost of living crisis. So what has the Victorian government decided to do in the middle of these rolling out making everyone bleed, landlords can barely breathe as it is, with inflation, with interest rates.
Speaker 5: Well, the Victorian government has.
Speaker 6: Gotten together and said we're going to make new minimal rental standards relating to energy efficiency across the state. What does this mean, do you ask, Well, it means that landlords will be forced to fork out an eye watering amount of money in the name of the state's climate communism. Get this, this is what landlords will be stuck doing if this goes ahead. They've made the proposal, and we know what proposals turn into. It will include things such as installing sealing installation where none exists, draft proving with weather seals on all external doors, four star shower heads in all showers, new electric hot water systems, and three star efficiency calling for systems in the main living area. At this rate, renters are going to be living in better homes than the poor mom and dad investors who actually bought the thing in the first place, hoping to get a little bitter head in life. Now, the state government estimates that this will save renters five hundred and sixty seven dollars a year off their energy bills. But where is the sense in this when by putting this on landlords, you're going to be bumping up the price of rent, aren't you. And I guarantee that whatever these people would save on their energy bills per year, they'll more than make up for because if the landlord's got to fork out that much for all these bells and whistles to make the climate communism party happy, then it's going to be reflected in what people are charged to.
Speaker 5: Rent the home. Someone explained this to me.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't think.
Speaker 4: While I don't agree with you that everything is communist, I think in this case we are getting perilously close to it because these guys just say.
Speaker 3: Understand.
Speaker 5: That everything is common.
Speaker 3: Try to agree.
Speaker 5: Tell me how this isn't Because.
Speaker 4: I think this is really problematic. It sounds to you with my own proper that's right. How I've agree with you you.
Speaker 6: So tell me how isn't it rather communisty that a government now takes it upon itself to say, because we believe that the world I've.
Speaker 4: Just said, I feel it right, that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: You're right, get onto the community.
Speaker 4: It won't be Obviously, people do not get into the rental market. People do not buy investment properties to lose money, right. That's something that communists do not understand, which is how capitalism works. And so therefore they are going to do one of two things. If these costs are imposed on them, they will either a pass them on to renters. As you say, of course, they will simply say, well, it's not worth my it's not worth my while I'm going to sell the property, which might be good news for homeowners, but at the moment, the homeowning crisis is on the back burner because we have a rental crisis that is far more acute and people literally not being able to get a roof over their heads. So either it increases the cost of renting, or it deprives the rental market of a potential property.
Speaker 3: And it is just absolutely.
Speaker 2: It's a lose if we may indulge, if we may indulge in in a short musical interlude, if I were a landlord in Victoria, this is how I would be feeling right now. And I am a landlord, but not in Victoria, thank god. And this is exactly what landlords are saying. I mean they're saying. You know, this is one landlord who quoted in the Herald son I reckon a mass exodus by landlords is coming from the rental market. They are making a serious rental problem. Even worse, the timing is appalling. And this is the problem is there's been this argument from the Greens in particular, and obviously this is a labor government, but the Greens argue we've got to have rental caps and all this sort of stuff because you know, all the evil landlords. The vast majority of rental sorry, the vast majority of landlords in this country are mum and dad investors. They have fewer than three properties, and they also own the majority of mental properties within the country. So if you do things around the edges to say, okay, we don't want these evil people owning rental properties. They either have to cop the increased cost, which they don't. As Joe said, it goes on to the renter, which is the last thing the renters need right now, or as you said, they sell it now. When you sell a property right now, the property is worth a fair bit of money. That's the market we're living in, which means that a lot of people who are currently renting. Let's say the person who is currently living in that rental property probably doesn't have enough money to stump up a deposit.
Speaker 3: To buy it.
Speaker 2: So who do you think comes in and buys that one bedroom unit in the city that this person bought as an investment Another investor, except that investor has lots of money because they can cop the increase in the cost of running the thing. So what you do is concentrate the number of landlords down from your average mum and dad investor to big investors. Happens is the communists actually end up supporting big business because the only person who will be able to be a landlord in this country is someone who has shed loads of money, and funnily enough, many of them profess to be close enough to communists because they will.
Speaker 4: Vote for the Greens well, plenty of Green's VMPs own mouthful investment properties. It's always a global to reveal. But yeah, perhaps side. But more to the point, what people do not understand, what people who believe in a command economy simply do not understand, is that the economy doesn't do what you tell it to. You can't just order the economy to do something.
Speaker 3: I'll do it.
Speaker 4: And this is a perfect example. Rental caps are another example. You can't put a gun to someone's head and say right, be an investment property owner because people will look at all these If you want more of something, you make it more attractive for people to invest in it, not less attractive. So you make it easier for people to get into the investment property market and easier for them to rent it out, and that will create more people investing in the property market, whether they're big or small investors, and it will create more investment properties. If you make it harder, put things like rental caps, rental freezers, you know, forcing people to put in capital works to make it more climate friendly, people will say, you know what, I'm just going to put my money out as well, and it might not even be and then another investment property owner coming in. It might be another homeowner, in which case that house gets taken over the market. And the people who would otherwise invest in property, which would provide more properties to the rental market, We'll say, I'm just going to invest in something else. Ilp CBA News Court my new podcast, The Real.
Speaker 2: Story with Joe Wants Shavelss.
Speaker 6: I love it, But how is it that average Joe's literally yes, I.
Speaker 3: Know this is a new memoir.
Speaker 6: By the way, it's so obvious, right, and yet our own government who's running the place, just seems hell bent on ruining the place. I mean, at such a time as this, you honestly think that the best state of play is to bankrupt landlords golf clap for you, government, You've simply.
Speaker 5: Got to be a hit.
Speaker 4: This is what the left. This is what the left does when they look at these things. So they'll look at things, and they will look at the starts, and they'll look at all these investment property owners and say, all right, but they've got all these people here, and if we just make them do this with the stroke of a pen, we'll deliver all this pile of money over here. And then we'll make a rule say that they can't job.
Speaker 5: To see the domino effects before.
Speaker 4: I don't understand if they don't understand human behavior, they don't understand that they don't understand respect individual behavior and how those kind of what Paul keating One's famously called animal forces influenced the market. But the bottom bottom line is if your own car in Victoria, you're screw and if you own a house in Victoria, you're screwed.
Speaker 6: Even a few months ago that we were talking about that patch in Victoria which had decided that every rooftop now had to be white.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think actually, I think it was a climate and it was one of the South Australia as well, where they've manned and you can't have dark rus. And that's not to mention that the landtek situation of Victoria at the moment as well, which is just out of control. I know people who have property and the money they're asking for has gone through the roof and everything's everything's racist. Well, And if I were a renter in Victoria and my landlord was told that they had to put a four star shower head in my rental property, I'd be really peeved because four star shower head is code for one of those things with you know, the lowercal low meter in it, so it literally just trickles. I don't want that. I want a shower head that actually works. While we're on matters of the climate, let's talk about electric vehicles. I know you love talking about electric vehicles. I love talking about electric vehicles because we hate them. And once again, another study has proven exactly this. Now the study comes to an interesting conclusion, which I will get to in a minute, but what they're basically suggesting, this is from Monash University's Climate Work Center, is that if we want to reach our twenty thirty emissions targets, which of course Peter Dutton has said if he was Prime Minister he would scrap and ignore. If we want to reach that target, we need seventy three percent of all new vehicles sold in this country by twenty thirty to be electric. Now that is simply not going to happen. And I will remind you that the federal government, before it was the federal government when it was still in opposition, forecast in order to boost its likelihood of reaching these twenty thirty targets, that eighty nine percent of vehicles sold in this country by twenty thirty would be electric. The Federal Transport Department now says it will be something like twenty seven percent, So they're kind of losing out on that. If we had just fifty six percent of vehicles sold in this country being electric by twenty thirty, we would still miss our transport emission goals by twenty one percent. I mean you might look at that. I look at that and go, well, surely that means that the target is just a load of bunker. It's never going to happen. Well, Monash University says there is another solution, which is basically, give up your car entirely. If we can't have evs, just don't drive at all. They have suggested that you basically we're putting all our eggs in one basket talking about EV's, And the problem is not so much that you know, we should be moving to EV's, which means you keep driving as much as you are now. No no, no, no, no no no. It's much more complex than that. Get rid of your car, get on public transport. Don't get on a plane, they say, use a train instead. Don't use a truck to transport cars, transport coupble cars, as well, but cars and food and whatever around the country use rail instead, Isn't it funny? This is where we're going.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: EV's are a great idea, fantastic if our middle panasa. Now they worked out that ain't going to work. So why do we need cars at all? Just get on the bus, you bludge.
Speaker 6: Well, this is straight out of the climate communism handbook that Joe doesn't sound.
Speaker 5: We've constantly got proof of it staring at our faces.
Speaker 6: But look, the EV takeup has slowed very fast here in Australia. In April for the first time in over three years, it was down just five percent. Now that's not huge, but they're predicting that this is just going to keep tanking. Tesla alone also in April their sales were down by forty four percent.
Speaker 5: And this is Twitter.
Speaker 4: It's not the virtue signals. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: This is despite all the retailers heavily discounting their EV they're trying to, yes, make them much cheaper, make them much more attainable for people. But the thing is other than the resale value diving, so people are like, this is not a wise investment. The government instead of having rebates, instead of having any kind of tax incentive simply needs to build the infrastructure, which they have.
Speaker 5: Failed to do so terribly.
Speaker 6: You can't encourage people to buy cars if there aren't available chargers ready to go, and that's to put all the other problems aside. But what incentive right now do people have in terms of when am I going to be able to fuel up?
Speaker 5: It's dismal in this.
Speaker 2: Unless, of course you live in the city. It's the only situation where an electric car kind of makes sense, but it blows the whole thing out of the water. And because there are lots of people driving evs around which are powered fundamentally by coal fired power, particularly in a state like Queensland or New South Wales, they can feel so virtuous about it, but they're driving around thinking they're doing their bit for the planet. What Monash is uncovered is essentially that nothing is really going to be done for the planet because no one wants to buy them. They're not going to buy the numbers they need to actually make any impact. And that the chairman of Toyota said back in January, I mean, look, he's in the business of selling cars. He is the chairman of one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world, So if he wants his job is to make money. Pieces that we'll only ever reach thirty percent of cars in the world being electric. The rest will be made up by hydrogen and hybrid basically right, because it looks abats the world that don't actually have access to power all the time, they're not going to be So everyone in the sector knows it and says it. Monash University says it ain't working. Why do we keep going down this way?
Speaker 4: Because the climate debate has been hijacked by idea logs, for whom the perfect is the good communists, if you will, I would call them climate idea logs. But yes, they they despise so they despise gas, which all the smart people in the debates we see is a really important component at least as we transition to renewables, so at least for the next five to ten whatever years. And yet you've got people saying coals. You know, gas is just as bad as coal. That is a lie, that is just incorrect, that is just unfactual. That is a bare face, bald face provable demonstrable light trust the science. And so you have people and the same sort of people obviously will not even talk about nuclear will not even allow it to enter the discussion, which I think is foolish. I'm not sure if it economically stacks up at the moment, but it may well in the future, and which should be on the table. And they also have the same approach, of course to hybrid cars. So a car that burns any fuel at all, ever is Persona on Grada. And the problem with that, of course is that there are heaps and heaps of that. That creates obviously shrinking demand, which means a car makers are less likely to make them and sell them and mark them and shire them to Australia. And the problem with that is that hybrid cars actually solve ninety percent of the problems that people have with pure electric cars, which is range anxiety, range anxiety, range anxiety, range anxiety, range anxiety, power and range anxiety. And so you could have like a you could have like those.
Speaker 3: Big forward ranges that everybody loves.
Speaker 4: The most popular car in Australia, if that's a hybrid model. You don't have to worry about pulling your trailer or your caravan when you have to, because you've got the petrol there if you need you don't have to worry about running out if you're doing a big camping people or whatever, like, you know, not paying the powers, they're not being able to charge it up because you know, you've got the fuel there if you need it. So it just provides that safety net. But because you've got all these people say no, you can't have any petrol em it's all evil, just like no, we can't have any gas, it's all evil. Yet suddenly the Victorian government is laying for gas and they're absolutely right that more people should be using rail and especially goods should be using rail, not roads, and that just everybody knows that, everyone in the industry knows that that's not even just a climate thing. That is just an absolute no brain. It's better for residents, it's more efficient, it's cheaper, but.
Speaker 2: Where's the rail percise so you know it's cheap for if the lines exist.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: And if we turn back over the page to find the Victorian government is forcing all these landlords to effectively jack up their rents so they can make their houses more energy efficient and save the climate. And you've got Monash University in Victoria saying, well, we need to make sure there are better rail options for people so that they're not driving their cars.
Speaker 7: Well, how do you get to the airport in Melbourne and not rail? They had an airport railing that was there on the cars, but because they so utterly effed up their COVID response, they now have no money to build that. So they're forcing people to very much do as I say, not as I do. They're forcing people to bear all these costs and then pass them on to the most vulnerable people in the community, i e. Renters trying to afford a roof over their head. Well, at the same time, they're not doing the very obvious thing that they could be doing to achieve that same goal. So you know what leads, I'm going to give you two for two. It's climate communism.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: But in New South Wales, of course, where the beautiful and very handsome Chris Men's Rules or Groan South Australia, where the incredibly are slightly less handsome but slightly taller Peter Melanowski, These labor right enclaves of liberty and justice and truth on handsomely for.
Speaker 6: This mine loyalty jo to the UK now, where economists have discovered that despite the record breaking in ation that the UK has seen over the last ten years, productivity has almost at an old time low, it's not actually resulting in better living.
Speaker 5: Standards in Britain. Who knew.
Speaker 6: Check out this quote from think tank Resolution Foundation. They say, although the UK population is projected to grow by one point eight million over the next parliament, the number of hours worked isn't expected to rise as quickly as population growth.
Speaker 5: Is offset by a.
Speaker 6: Higher share of employment made up by groups who worked shorter hours on average, such as women and young people, and an older workforce who are less likely to be employed in.
Speaker 5: The first place.
Speaker 6: Check Out this graph of UK productivity since twenty and nineteen. You would see that big dip there, and well it's not.
Speaker 5: Looking too good.
Speaker 6: So I found this interesting because this is what we're doing here in Australia.
Speaker 5: Obviously, we're like.
Speaker 6: We need immigrants, we need immigrants, we need more people politicians alike Christ for our future. This is for and yet countries who have done similar don't look like they're faring much better.
Speaker 3: Is after Australia.
Speaker 4: Australia has a skilled migration program and we always have and we are prioritize workforce need, not how much they can pay, not how long they've been waiting. We do have it smaller, much much more humanitarian progress.
Speaker 6: Okay, so how how how is ours going to work better?
Speaker 4: Because because we select migrants based on the skills shortages we have in the country, soon does the UK not as not as much? And before Brexit they of course had they shared boards with au so for quite so much freely and oh no, but the Tories were still in charge. So they're talking about the period that the Tories were in charge. And and of course you know, one of the things that fuel Brexit was a huge influx of Polish immigrants, which upset people in the North of England in particular. So I don't think it is necessarily comparing apples and apples.
Speaker 3: And again this says.
Speaker 4: That, you know, the UK productivity has been plumbing since twenty nineteen, so that's a long period of time.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, though, if we didn't have the levels of migration that we have in this country at the moment, we would be in recession. We are already effectively in recession. Having high migration simply props up the economy.
Speaker 3: You don't want to eat a recession.
Speaker 2: It's not a good It is not a good thing when you okay, so great, we're not We're not actually in recession. We're technically in recession. We're not actually in recession. But your cost of living keeps going up because we don't have the houses for people to live in, we don't have the schools for their kids to go to. So at what point does the snake stop eating its own tail? Bring bring all the Part of the part of the reason why the economy cause inflation.
Speaker 4: Part of the reason why we are not building houses as quickly as we could and as quickly as we should, is because there is a shortfall of around ninety thousand laborers and tradees. We need to build the houses to reach the targets of the.
Speaker 5: List on the skills that important that.
Speaker 4: Was there there were no there was There were some, but there's still a huge number of of like things like carpenters and electricians and everything. They are on that list. They are prioritized, and we are bringing them in as much as we possibly can. Kills every there were some skills that apparently they seem to think that they had enough of whatever looked pretty weird to me. But where there were shortages, clearly we're in. We're in starkers and carpenters and I think joiners as well, and and they're bringing those in. They are on the priority list, and they are indicative that people we're bringing. Why we're bringing the yogis and stuff, I do not know, but they are on the list. And that is an example of why just saying we're going to cut migration and that will solve the housing crisis is simply not how the markets.
Speaker 5: Six billion increase.
Speaker 6: They did it for the same reasons that we always say we're doing it too, and it simply hasn't had.
Speaker 5: The effect that they need to guess.
Speaker 6: It has propped up their economy since twenty ten quite effectively, but in twenty twenty four it ain't cutting it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. The economy isn't growing it much.
Speaker 5: I think we're going to fare anything.
Speaker 4: That's because the conservative government is doing a terrible job of managing the economy, and when Labor gets elected under kyos Dama, everything's going to happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure you're the one.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that sure it will absolutely work like that. Anyway, if we could well, maybe the UK could consider getting rid of some of these migrants who have not contributed to the country. And certainly we'd like to get through the rid of a few people who've tried to get into this country illegally. We know a few of them have actually made it to land since Labor came to power. This is what happens when you look like you're soft on boarders. People think you are soft on borders, so they attempt to get into the country. We've had I think more than forty of them actually made it to land since last year. So the opposition has raised the idea today that if we encounter the people smugglers who are bringing them here instead of sending them home, and this is what has happened previously, we've literally, if we've had the opportunity detain them and then release them without charge, we should keep them in this country and charge them with the crime of people smuggling and then put them through the court system here. Now, apparently there's some idea that maybe when they go back home to Indonesia or wherever they've come from, that they might be dealt with over there, but it's very clear that that's not what's happening, James Patterson said today he's the Opposition Home a fair spokesman. It is concerning that, in at least one instance that we know of and alleged people, smuggler face no charges in either Australia or Indonesia for his crimes. There's no deterrent if there are no consequences, in which he is quite right now, the biggest problem is actually being able to get hold of these people in the first place, because I'm sure many of them do absolutely everything to avoid either being on the boat at the time, because it's quite possible for person ferrying the boat is not the one who took the money. But still, if we capture someone who is trying to smuggle people into this country, why would we let them go. They have illegally tried to get people into this country, they should face the full force of the law in Australia.
Speaker 6: It would be Firstly, you're quite right, the first problem is catching this person. But let's say, for the sake of argument, you manage to and you knew for sure this was the architect and the person actually doing it once you got them into a court, then what I mean, I mean, seriously say they're found guilty, what the taxpayer gets to lock them up for?
Speaker 5: How long?
Speaker 6: In Australia, Like, what is the punishment? We obviously can't find them. They probably don't have all that much money themselves, So in a way I can understand why the government's justlid well, we'll boot you out to your country. I mean, if we had a flogging system here like Singapore or something, that would be simple, just give them a hiding and send them home and they wouldn't do it again.
Speaker 5: However, we have this what I think.
Speaker 6: Is a ridiculous judicial system, well whatever you want to call it, where our only punishment that we meet out in this country is jail time, which actually isn't that bad. Prisoner's right, through all the rage, I've got a master's degree in human rights, You'll actually be treated very well in there. In fact, some people want to stay instead of leaves. But it doesn't make sense to me that literally, you could commit the most heinous crime and you all get the same punishment, the only difference being the amount of time that you're locked up with three square meals a day and a roof over your head, and the same would go for these guys they.
Speaker 5: Just end up costing us how much in taxpayer doll it way.
Speaker 2: I think the point is though, that if you have one bloke who gets locked up for ten years for trying to smuggle people into the country, it's sends the mesage overseas that you shouldn't do. So I don't think we're going to have a situation where we're locking up hundreds and hundreds of people. The point is to send the message in the hopes that by spending whatever you spend on keeping the dude in jail, it's less than what you have to spend on trying to stop them getting to the border in.
Speaker 6: The first place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I'm sure. I mean, James Pattison's a very smart bloke and I'm sure he's thought about this and he would have more inside knowledge of it. Although I do know how Operation Sovereign Borders worked, and that simply wouldn't function. There's no way that this could happen if Operation Sovereign Borders was working as it used to under the Abbic government. But I don't understand how it would work. I don't understand. Firstly, presumably the people smuggler would have to make landfall. Presumably they would have to make landfall on mainland Australia. Then if I was a people smuggler, I wouldn't say, Hey, I'm a people smuggler, prosecute me. I'd say, oh, I'm just a humble asylum seeker, I'm seeking asylum, and then you have to go through all that rigmarole. If they were on if they were encountered or incepted offshore and then taken to Naru or Christmas Island or whatever, then presumably the same things would apply to all the other asylum seekers there, and they'd say they were in asylum seeker. To disprove that they were an sylum seeker, you would then have to I suppose, gather evidence, and then you have to be able to prosecute them in a quarter.
Speaker 5: It would be very difficult.
Speaker 4: I just don't get how that happens. And again I can't really say exactly what the process of operations sovereign Borders was, but I think pretty self evidently it was very specifically designed and executed so that these boats never actually made it to Australian territories or to Australian policy. That's right, and so are you then going to go out, and of course you have to force the boat to turn back, and that's another that's sort of how it was. But anyway, you're then going to go out and say, all right, we're turning all you back, except you you look like you're in charge. You're coming with me.
Speaker 2: No. I think the idea is that in the case we talked about, they had a people spandler, he wants detained. Why was he not charged?
Speaker 5: I'm not you know of one instance?
Speaker 6: To me, it sounds for all the world like and the opposition is regularly doing this. Now we all know we've got an election coming up, it's just.
Speaker 5: A matter of months.
Speaker 6: Now it's not called, but it's it's gonna be soon.
Speaker 5: Is next year?
Speaker 6: That coming up with these ideas that really show off their difference to obviously the ruling party, but doesn't really have I said the same last week about the whole Any student who's from another country who's participating in these protests on campus will be deported type thing. And I'm like, look, I know what you're doing. You're it's it's smart, you're appealing to the sentiment of the day, But have you thought that through what that would take, what that would look like this just sounds like another one of those.
Speaker 2: Quite possibly true. I still think it has merit. And now, very quickly before we get to the break, I just want to give a little shout out our stylist here that Sky News Nadia had few for her father today Nick and her mother Adele is a loyal viewer of the late debate. We love you love on a hard day. Anyway, After the break, we will get into the papers. We'll tell you which suburb has the most cancer causing chemicals in its tap water. You won't want to misstad don't go away. Let's get into the papers, starting with the Tasmanian Mercury tomorrow where, oh my god, another bit of environmental nonsense sow dare I say environmental communism? Handful of plants, whole twenty eight million dollar bottleneck works, rare orchid stalls road, a handful of rare orchids, and a recalcuitrant. Federal minister are being blamed for sending twenty eight million dollars in upgrades to a major Hobart traffic bottleneck. Back to the drawing board. Look, may I humbly suggest that we send out a gardener, say a council gardener who is already employed by the state government by proxy of course, working through a council to I don't know, lift these orchids out of the ground and replant them somewhere else so they can build a road through the middle.
Speaker 3: Of the Kayla.
Speaker 1: They're rare, well, they can be rarey those they can just be rare elsewhere, Like surely, surely, surely it's well done.
Speaker 2: Surely, surely you can move an orchid living.
Speaker 4: Remember it's good to know that Hobart has finally gotten its green and golden bell frog. You remember the green golden bell frog that kept held up the Olympics. Remember, we're going to have to cancel the Olympics because they found some weird frog that no one had ever heard of.
Speaker 2: They do this, They do this all the time, and normally it comes in the form of law fare. It's what they kept doing to the the native timber industry down in Victoria before Daniel Andrews the Prick decided that he'd get rid of the whole lot. They would do all these activists to go in there and say, oh, there's some sort of rare, possible gliding thing in here. Then they would go to the court. The court would grant an injunction and they'd make whoever owned all the land go off and do a survey of literally every single square inch to just to make sure that there were none of those particular animals in there.
Speaker 6: They you just go out there the night before the inspection with a shotgun, get real busy, and they're like, not very recommended that a dead orchard to the runway to the advertiser.
Speaker 5: Now tapwater, chemical cancer fear. I love this topic. I will bang on about it forever.
Speaker 6: A leafy Eastern suburb has been identified as having the country's highest levels of contaminants. We're talking about pea fast people.
Speaker 5: We've linked to cancer.
Speaker 6: In its drinking water with historical data calling into question Australia's testing standards.
Speaker 5: We don't need to call.
Speaker 6: Into question the Australia's testing standards. Our government allows pfas in your drinking water and everything else. By the way, it's in your food, it's in your cooking implements, it's in your tooth floss ladies, it's in your period products. They literally, they being our government, just don't seem to really care. Whoever manufactures these things is allowed to use chemicals that they know are completely and utterly toxic.
Speaker 5: They're called forever.
Speaker 6: Chemicals because they don't break down in the environment and they don't break down in your body. The US had a report from the Endocrine Society beginning of this year that showed in twenty eighteen alone, the United States of America spent two hundred and fifty billion dollars on healthcare costs associated with the fallout the effects the diseases that pfas are having on the human body in America. And if you think it's any better here, it's not. I just think this is criminal because there are people with health effects that would never even think to blame p fas. And we have governments state and federal, never talk about it and will never lift a finger to do it, because then industry would be like, how dare you make us stop quietly poisoning people under the rug?
Speaker 2: And I did promise to say which suburb it was, by the way, it's Glenunga in Adelaide. So you might want to go and boil your water a few more times before you have a cap of tea tonight. But we've talked about this before in that the federal government has already admitted the damage caused by pfas because they've paid out millions and millions of dollars in compensation to people who live next to raft based vifi phone right and it's leached out into their soil. And of course people were growing veggies and whatever in that soil. Then they find out the PFA is in the soil, They're like, oh my god, what have I been doing for the last forty years? And now they're probably not worth anything because it's full of full of these chemicals. Given the US has made the decision to restrict so much more heavily than we have the levels that are allowed to be found in drinking water, why did the federal government he had not just wake up the next day and do exactly the same thing, Like what have they?
Speaker 4: I honestly do not know, but it's terrifying, and that's why I drink nothing but alcohol. I am completely thank you very much, jails, everything don't including the host.
Speaker 2: Don't drink water because we know what fish do in that stuff. You're much better off drinking wine, which comes interesting.
Speaker 4: In the Middle Ages, it was safer to drink beer and wine than it was water. I was just born in the wrong age, wasn't I over the odds now? And an absolute cracker Jack story on the top of the front the top banner. You will not believe this union sounds over AFL to force sacking of umpires bosses see if MEAU. Victorian leader John Secker has threatened to impose a work to rule campaign against the AFL on any league related projects, including the proposed Tasmanian Stadium, unless the league sacks the former building watchdog Steve mcbernie from the role of head of umpiring. I mean, I don't agree with every decision either, but there seems to be a slight overreaction. I love to be holding the ball.
Speaker 2: John, Well, look, let's if it has something to do with them, you know, getting rid of umpires who make bad decisions when it comes to the Ala Football Club. I may, for the first time in my life give my full support to the CFMU. But I love these quotes from John Seth Care. He says, you know it'll have implications for the AFL, but he goes on to saying this is going to cost the AFL a lot of efing money. I hope it's worth it. Projects without our full cooperation, are going to be an e fing misery for them. They will regret the day they ever employed him. I mention the cf MEU they've got total they've got so much control over all the the work sites, They've got so much control over the government in Victoria. They want to take control of the councils in Victoria because they want to get all the council workers under Now they're going to take control of the AFL as well. Is what is left for the see for me you to conquer?
Speaker 5: Is it going to work?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 6: I mean he hasn't conquered it unless they they actually come to this part.
Speaker 3: I don't okay, it's just such a good yarn. I don't care work.
Speaker 4: And of course the splash in the eyes clashes to mar Panda diplomacy. Police are preparing for potential clashes between patriotic Chinese and Anti's China protesters when Premier Lee Quane visits Camber next week, after Beijing urged its Australian supporters to show up in force to welcome the country's number two leader. The call out came as Anthony Albanezy framed mister Lee's trip as a boost for Australia's economic prosperity, noting China's hunger for the nation's resources, including critical minerals. Let's have a listen to what a great man had to say.
Speaker 8: I repeat what I said in Shanghai when I was asked, my government is pro panda, we like panda bearsh and so do I reckon Australians.
Speaker 4: Okay, before everyone just jumps all over it, let's get it all out of the way. It's going to be pandemonium. Aren't we just pandering to the Chinese in the wake of the panda emic. Well, personally, I think this is just shameless Chinese government proper panda. But the real problem with the pandas at Adelaide Zoo is that they are just not mating. They're not doing the do wang Wang's little wang Wang isn't wang wang. So this is how I thought we could solve the problem. Little how to video for you.
Speaker 9: Then in luck folks, these two will become very very close, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Look, she's presenting. We thought this would take years to happen.
Speaker 1: Think being just asked Simson to marry him, and I think she just said yes.
Speaker 4: That's how you do it, folks, the Simpsons. It's been our guide to life all along. We just weren't paying attention.
Speaker 2: The Chinese premier can sort that one out when he gets to Adelaide Zoo coming up out of the break. The two Russian women arrested on suspicion of murder. Why you'll tell your name, Joe? Tell us about a curious murder casing.
Speaker 4: Russia Every once in a while, Cayleeb, you come across the story, that's just well, how can I put this?
Speaker 3: Very Russian?
Speaker 4: Two women twenty nine and thirty seven beat a sixty three year old man to death, says the Daily Mail, after he refused to have a threesome with them. The suspects were drinking with the sixty three year old in a church in Stavropol. Yes, in case it wasn't weird enough, this happened in a cemetery. The female friends are accused of beating the man to death when he refused to have sex with him, according to Russian reports. Now I don't want to judge, but I'm just saying if that man is me, he'd be alive today.
Speaker 2: Well done, Joe. You wouldn't make it to a Netflix series, though if it's I think it's faite to say, which this has all the makings off. Now, last night we promised you we're going to tell you how to end homelessness. Over in California, the Governor Davin Newsom, he's found the way. In fact, he's so committed to it, he's been doing it for sixteen years.
Speaker 9: What we call a ten year plan end chronic holeness in San Francisco. How are you going to sall homelessness?
Speaker 3: What are you going to do?
Speaker 5: It's a new mayor and I said, well, what are you.
Speaker 3: Going to do?
Speaker 9: Focused on a housing first model, direct access to housing, shelter, soft sleep housing with wrap around and support services solve homelessness. Homelessness absolutely can be solved, laid out a detailed homeless There's been no intentionality on homelessness in this state for decades.
Speaker 4: It's not been a focus.
Speaker 9: I don't think we can solve homelessness.
Speaker 5: I know we can solve homelessness.
Speaker 9: We will reduce street homelessness quickly and humanly through emergency actions. The highest investment the state's ever made is one billion dollars on homelessness. We are poised to pass a budget in the next few hours. That will provide twelve billion dollars of investments that can literally quantify fifty eight thousand people that we got off the streets last year, and none of you would believe it. This state has not made progress in the last two decades as relates to homelessness.
Speaker 5: Not interested in funding failure.
Speaker 9: We're not interested in failing more efficiently when it comes to the issue of homelessness and the Christs on the street.
Speaker 2: Jeez, been working hardly.
Speaker 6: She's been working so hard, and yet as of December last year, one hundred and eighty thousand people we're experiencing homelessness in California his stage, and that was up six percent from last count.
Speaker 5: So had guess he's just still solving it.
Speaker 2: I reckon this bloke could replace Joe Biden. If he trips over where lies Bo's homelessness will just go on for another sixteen years, another sixteen after that. That's he from us Tonight up next to Rita Paddock, Joe Gribart