Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see a side of life the average person has never exposed her I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years, I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. In part two of my chat with Kate Derouge, we talk about how low her life got, what it was like living in a drug den with ten other people, being attacked by a former partner in a drug fueled rage with a machete, her arrests, and the public humiliation that came with that, along with the threat of going to jail for a long time now, the light bulb moment in Kate's life was when she saw herself in the mirror and was disgusted by what she had become. How she turned the life around and now as a mother of two beautiful children, the message she would be giving to them so they can learn from her mistakes. It was an emotional but inspiring talk and I came away from it with a deeper understanding of how close all of us are to destroying our lives with poor choices. Have a listen to what Kate said. Kate Derouge, welcome back to Part two of I Catch Killers.
Speaker 2: Thank You. It's it was a big first part nearly there.
Speaker 1: It was a big first part where it's sort of on a bit of a nosedive at this stage, but we're going to bring leave it back and bring you up. In part one, we talked about your highs and your lowers, your highs with your success from Australian Idol and your career in music that you went on too from there, But we also talked about starting to use drugs and how that got hold of you and then the spiral when you started using ice and I think you were addicted for seven years on that. I was interested that I didn't realize that your parents had pulled you away from it when your career crashed and were trying to get you on the straight and narrow, and you're obviously committed to it. But then you went to Mariuchidor for a radio gig for a couple of months, and you discovered the life again by the sounds of.
Speaker 2: It, Well, I wouldn't say I discovered the life. I was just trying to fool myself, you know what I mean. I was still hanging onto this concept that I had a career left and using something, whether it be drugs or alcohol. And look and when I've never really identified as an alcoholic, but when I drank, I drank to access, you know what I mean. I would drink vodka for breakfast out of a Gatorade bottle, So you know, I didn't do anything in a healthy way. But yeah, I think I went to this job in Rucchie do Or to try to prove to everybody that I was okay and that I could look after myself and that they were overreacting, and it just was a disaster.
Speaker 1: There's a quote in again one of the interviews that you've done, and I'll just read it out and we'll discussed that that around this period as well, and truly in the grips of method addictions. So this is when you've started using ice. All I wanted was for everyone to fuck off out of my face so I could use And it hurts my heart to say that I lost all hope, want or care to be any version of the Kate everybody knew. So this is after maroochi d'Or you've lost your way again. And I think you said you were traveling with someone and he had a ice pipe, and you thought why not.
Speaker 2: Well, it was as simple as you know, and I could sniff out drugs from a mile away, and I jumped in a car, which is reckless in itself. You know, I'm in a town I don't know, and in the middle of the night, I jump in a car with a person I don't know, madness, and I could tell that he was on something, and I just said, I don't know what you have, but I didn't care, but you need to give me some And that was it, and that was I you know again, back to that thing of I met this man and he became my world, and I think I didn't leave his side for the next two three years. We just used and traveled around Australia together and it just all seemed honky dory to me. But it was the beginning. And as I said, in the beginning, like everybody was like, I've seen a bit of a changing cake. She's not, I guess because I wasn't shit faced drunk, you know, on the floor by ten o'clock in the morning. People saw an improvement, you know. I was out doing things and being in the world and I'd answer the phone and stuff like that. But it all really went to hell when I got caught using ice and which is where that quote came from, when I got driving under the influence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk us through, talk us through that.
Speaker 2: So my last ditch effort at regaining some kind of career in my deluded state of mind is I tried to release a song and I did and it was all going really well. And my manager had said to me before we took, you know, on that mission, he said, I'll do this with you one more time, but do not lie to me. I think he used some more choice words than that, but he said, do not lie to me. No drugs, no, no, blah blah blah. And I said, yeah, no, where is good I'm fine, and look, I'd lost an incredible amount of weight by They're not gonna lie. I looked good, looked good. I was skinny, and I was looking the part. And people were like, yes, Kate, you look amazing. You know, people will start your back. People were starting to take me more seriously, which was just fueling my madness. I was like, yeah, this ice thing, it's working for me. And I was in the media again, you know, I was on the big radio shows again. I was doing it, but I was using like a mad woman in the background. And you know, my mum and I had had driven to Sydney. I was going to do a film clip and do all that kind of stuff. And I had to drop her off at the airport. And it was the day after the Mardi Gras, and I was like, oh, after the airport, I'll just have a bit of a look at you know, what's going on the streets of Sydney. It's always a bit interesting. And I come around the bend and there was a booze bus and I drove in there. I thought, you, beauty, haven't been drinking. This won't be a problem. And it was at the beginning of when you know, drug testing, and I didn't even think about it, and I passed my breath test and I went through. He said, oh, if you could just pull in here, you know, we're doing random rug drug tests. And my heart sank and that was me done, so you know, and I remember walking into the big the bus but the second test or whatever it was, and this copper looked at me and he just said, oh you, he said you. He said, I had another one of your kind in here the other day. And you know he was really unkind about it. Yeah, he was really unkind about it. And yeah that was the end. That was the end of the lot.
Speaker 1: Okay. So that that hit the media as it was always always going to do, Yes, I would imagine there'd be shame and every other emotion that comes from that. Talk us through that. What that did to you at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course. So the headline came out, you know, Kate Deruze choose Ice across everything, and you know, I lost whatever slither of respect within the industry and career that I thought I had left in that headline, Like that was it. I lost everything to get about it, and that was it. I And yes, there was a lot of shame and a lot of embarrassment and all of those feelings. But I masked that with anger and it just sent and I didn't know how to process that. I didn't know what to do with it. And I so instead of going, wow, that's a pretty big rock bottom and to the most of the you know, normal people, that would have been enough, But that was the ticket. I guess that my disease and my addiction needed to go right. All think I'm a junkie anyway now, So I'm gonna I'm just going to take off here and I'm going to show you. I'm going to show you what it's really like. And I guess it just gave me the permission to use the way that I'd been wanting to use for years, which was with no. I didn't need to hide it anymore, you know, it was just go Yeah.
Speaker 1: I would imagine it would have been a difficult conversation that you had with family or and people close to you when it became public that you're using ice. And just the way you describe that headline so much connotation. There's anyone that's touched ice is just a lost cause. Yeah, this is just a life spirally in out of control. It might be painful, but the conversations you had with your parents then, Oh.
Speaker 2: Look, my parents knew. I can't remember if they knew it was ice, but they knew. They knew I wasn't well. I mean, hence why my mom came with me to Sydney. And my mom bless her and rest her soul, and she I wouldn't be here without her, you know. She chased me around this tree, and my siblings chased me around this countryside for years trying to save my life. And I'd be nowhere if I didn't have them in my corner. But they knew I wasn't well. I don't think they knew what degree it had got to. Yeah, but I wasn't up for conversations by that point, you know, I wasn't really I wasn't really invested in talking. I didn't want to talk about it. As I said before, I didn't want to talk about it. I wasn't interested in changing. And I was gone.
Speaker 1: So you went to court. What was the lifestyle you were living at that stage? Like, I got the fact that you were carving your way back into a career, and yeah, writing and doing some things and filming, so it was heading in the right direction. That's been taken away from you. What sort of life were you living after? That?
Speaker 2: Got pretty bad pretty quick, you know. I went from that life or a bit of that life again, to living in shooting galleries, and you know, wherever I could find a bed, I just would be there. Wherever that wherever the drugs were, and wherever they took me and my you know, as I said, my consequential thinking was gone and I was in I found myself in a lot of dangerous places, with a lot of dangerous people, doing a lot of dangerous things really really quickly. And I think that's what that drug does, quicker than anything else. Because it's all good and well. When you've got the money and you can afford it, and you know, you pay for it, and the dealer will give you the it's not a worry. But as soon as and I've done there's no drugs I haven't tried, right, there's none. I've done them all, But I've never felt the desperation and drive to need to continue to use a drug like methamphetamines. Never. It just possesses you like nothing I could explain to anybody. Once it's in you. Oh and and so I very quickly would just do whatever I needed to do to get what I needed to get, and there were no boundaries to that. Use your mass, so use your imagine, yes, to work out what they look play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, I've been to the drug dens and difference of stuff where a lot of people are using or abandoned buildings and all sorts of things. I was a hard assed homicide cop and I'd walk into those places. I'd be terrified. It was just it was like something out of a horror movie some of the places that I saw. And you see the people that have been using ice, and there was this glazed look. There was no soul behind the eyes. It was just an anything could happen. So, you know, you're a female, vulnerable female in that stage, addicted to it. I can only imagine the places that you found you found yourself in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fear like and I'm a pretty nervous person, you know, as the girl that sits here today. But I had no fear and I was and my eyes were black, you know what I mean. There was no there's nothing behind here. And it still hurts me to hear you know, it still makes me emotional and makes me, you know, in my throat to say those things, because that person was was fucked and there's no other word for it, and excuse my language, but I was just I was gone. And I still sit here today realizing how lucky I am to have got out, because not many people once they get lost in that world, it's not easy to make it back.
Speaker 1: Well, very very few come out, but you're showing that it's possible, and I think that that's an important message. But also the important message is how low that life can can stoop when you're addicted to a drug like ice.
Speaker 2: I think there's no there is no end to the low, like there will always be a lower low, and just when you think you couldn't possibly do any worse, you will. And I think the true rock bottom in that world is when you're in a box, and that's where it ends. Sadly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you had a couple of other other things that happened you. You got arrested again with a few times, same offense and also weapons charges. And again I know that lifestyle, there's always knives or things around with people that are living or trying to protect their ice or get their ice. There's always stuff like that, the chargers. What were the circumstances with your arrests there? That was that was down in Victoria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I got banned from a couple of towns in Victoria along that post part of my bail conditions. Shepherd and Shepanin was the town that changed my life fundamentally. I think a lot of stuff happened when I lived there, and I you know, that's when domestic violence and all that kind of stuff really came into my world.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk about you being stabbed with a machete, but.
Speaker 2: We'll get Oh yep, now we can get to that.
Speaker 1: We'll get the back. We're just working through the list. At this start, I should have laughed.
Speaker 2: It's not funny.
Speaker 1: It's not funny. It's not funny. And I promise, I promise, we give you a ladder to crawl your way out of here. But okay, we'll talk the next couple of arrests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I did. I got a rest a few times, and look they were always for driving under the influence, you know, got lost my license a few times and then drove a few times whilst had I didn't have my license got caught, the weapons was possibly was getting a bit more serious, and you know when I started getting correction orders and all that kind of stuff, and you know, I'm really lucky. I remember, you know, being in the cells and being stripped and all of that fun stuff that happens. But yeah, there was I couldn't tell you. I can't remember how many there were, but there were enough.
Speaker 1: It's daunting, isn't it, Like when you cut your freedom's being taken away from you. It's not the world that you've grown up to and have an expectation you're going to win there. But and you had a threat of a fairly lengthy custodial sentence hanging over your head too, so that must have been played on your mind.
Speaker 2: I did, and look, I remember, and you know it's not funny. Again. I shouldn't laugh, you know, I remember because I was hanging around with some pretty big criminals by that point, people doing really bad things and her people, and like a lot of crime that is so far from the world that I grew up in or anything that I could relate to, you know what I mean. And I look at those guys but now and feel sad for them. Because at the end of the day, they were just really sick people like I was, with a hell of a lot less resources and love in their life to help them get better. But yeah, like I remember everybody, when anybody ever got locked up and come out of the cells, it was like, where's your tape? Give me your tape, you know, because everyone always thought everyone was going to rat on one another and tell each other off or whatever. And I remember the first time that I got locked up in the cells and I had to sit there and the detective and go through it all. And they did the tape and I just sat and I cried, and I and I you know, I was so busy running like this big gangster that I thought that I'd become this big, bad ass gangster. And I think and I was all and I was all back, and I sat in this tape and just cried for three hours, you know what I mean, just sobbed like a baby and wanted my mum and begged them to let me go so I didn't have to front cod. I think I said something like, please, you can't let me go to court in the morning. It'll ruin my career. Like I didn't have a career by that point. But you know, I'm still holding on to this thing, and I knew that I couldn't really talk about anything that I wanted to talk. I remember just wanting to tell this detective everything because I was just so sad and I just had this moment of vulnerability and I couldn't because I knew the people waiting out in the front of me would want my tape.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're vulnerable there, and what we're talking about there is someone that gets locked up. Well, the first off of that, cops give where did you get your drugs from? You give up the dealer and all that, and then yeah, you're not hanging around with the nicest people at this stage and you start talking and there's consequences. So you absolutely delve right into this. It's a bit of a different world than the Australian idol, isn't.
Speaker 2: It slightly different ends of the scales. Yeah, and it was an eye opener, but again, it just was this and I remember thinking a few times like how am I? How was this my life? But it was and I didn't know how to fix it.
Speaker 1: Did you look at like other people from the people you contemporary? So the ones that you were playing music with. And yeah, members of young divas when their careers are going from strength to strength, did you sometimes sit there and go, I used to sing with them in your own yeah, in your own mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well people, but you know what, people people knew that the circles that I was running, and people knew who I was. People knew where I came from, and they used to some people used to find it fascinating and and I wore it as a bit of a badge embarrassingly for a little while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wondered whether that carried anything in that. But yeah, you're in all these people with their failed lives, and you would have had a story. I used to be something. This was who I.
Speaker 2: Still think, and I am somebody in a way, you know. But I'm sitting in the same rooms with all of these people think and I'm still somebody of some importance, and you know, I again, that just is a representation of how deluded I was at that time. And I did, you know. I would see the girls have their successes in the media or something. You'd catch my eye in a magazine or on Facebook or whatever it was, and it hurt. But I would just bury that in the backpack with all the other shit that I was trying to avoid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and for your second door, your further arrests the media attention again, and at that point in time, the public, I would suggest to just writing your offers are there's no hope for this person?
Speaker 2: Nah? She I think I think the last time, I think I was looking at fifteen years, which I don't think I ever was, but that's what the media said I was. That was the headline. My poor grandma, the sweetest person you've ever known in your life, rang up and said, now, Darling, I'm going to come to court. I'm going to put on a nice dress and tell them that you're a nice girl. You know. I was just I was just really yeah. I was deep in it by that point, and I luckily didn't end up in jail. I had a very good lawyer, and I did my directions and my CCO, my community corrections order, and completed that a couple of years later. But it wasn't long after that that court case that things changed.
Speaker 1: The situation where you were attacked with a man in your life and a drug fueled rage with a machete doesn't sound very nice. Are you kind enough to tell us what happened there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I met my Look, I've been addicted to all kinds of things, and love is no different. And I was a crazy love addict, and you know, I would fall in love instantly with the most toxic of humans. And you know, I've done that a lot over the years, and he was no different. And I met him in a really dark moment. And I remember he walked into this house I was in. I was really strung out and I had no money and no drugs, and he walked in and essentially pulled me out of his house and we just became joined at the hip then and there, and I just thought he was the most amazing thing ever. And as those relationships do, and it's very common in that that world, like there's so much violence, and that relationship became no different. And he was a very violent and angry man, and you know that became a part of my story. But in the madness of it all, you know, domestic violence is very complicated. And I was so addicted to him and the way he made me feel in so many ways that you know, I stayed for a really long time. Yes, he did stab me with a machete in my left hip one day. That was a time.
Speaker 1: Did you go to the hospital with that or go to the police or were the place called?
Speaker 2: Or I had to go to the hospital. And obviously on the way too that he drove me to the hospital. We had to come up with a story that was you know, I.
Speaker 1: Can imagine you two creative genius as a story you came up with that would be, I see.
Speaker 2: I fell on a piece of tin on a job site, I think was the story. And they knew that that wasn't true, and I think they sent him away to go take a picture of the piece it in and he went and threw away the machete, and you know, and that was that was the end of that. And they asked me if I needed help, and I said, no, what You've been ridiculous and got out the next day and carried on.
Speaker 1: Look, you look back at the life, and I know we're laughing at certain aspects of it, and I honestly think that's some ways you've got to deal with it in process that you've got to look at and go this was just chaos because you were living and I think the low point in your life was living in a drug house with ten other people, and I'm imagining they're not fine, upstanding citizens. They would have been ten other people chasing the hit like you were chasing.
Speaker 2: They certainly weren't the best versions of themselves.
Speaker 1: No, that must have been. Yeah, just chaotic and just yeah. I look at places like that and think, how does anyone survive in that sort of place?
Speaker 2: Oh, look, it's this. You won't find us out a more pathetic space to be. And there's just people that are total prisoners to themselves. Yeah, and no, again, as I said, and look, those people that I was spending in that time again didn't have the love and the resources that I had available to me. And I'm eternally grateful for that. And I'm not saying that that made it, you know, any different for me to get it was just as hard for me to get clean. But they didn't have a mum necessarily, some did, but not all of them didn't necessarily have a mum chasing them around the countryside trying to get them help.
Speaker 1: But I think something like that might be the difference with you coming out and surviving it with you had some people that just didn't give up on you, like everyone else has just walked away. But you made a point I think in part one about the importance of family and old old friends, and they're the ones that stick around regardless and always have your back.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And when we get to the part where things get good and family is a really important conversation.
Speaker 1: Well let's start turning it around. But the last last thing and a quote that when you did turn it around, you make a point that your family never gave up on you, especially your mum. But you've been quoted here. I call the glimpse of myself in the mirror, and these are your words. I was bone thin, my face was messed up, and I was alone, and I looked at myself and thought, who are you calling the moment of sanity or divine intervention? But I knew if things didn't change, I was going to die. Can you talk us through that moment?
Speaker 2: So yeah, look, it was rock bottom is an interesting thing, and I like, as I said, I've had all the external dramatic rock bottoms that you could think of. Like by the time I got to the end, I had nothing. There was no not a dollar to my name, not a nothing, you know what I mean? Like there was nothing so and I think quite oftenatics need to get to this point. It's not about any of the external stuff. It's got to be an internal shift. And I just caught myself that day, and I still I'll never know what it was that made me see myself different in that moment, but I saw it, and I saw it for everything that it was, and it was really hard and really terrifying, and I did. I knew in that moment if I didn't change now, that I was going to die, and that there was no other path for me. I knew that.
Speaker 1: And your mum from that point in time, you contacted your mum and she came and picked you up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I rang Mum. And I'd never and look, I've been to in the however, many twelve thirteen years of using drugs and alcohol the way that I did, I had never gone to rehab because I wanted to. I'd been plenty of times. I think I went six or seven times. I'd always been for somebody else and to save something else or to appease somebody else. But this was the first time I called and said, Mum, I need you to come and get me like I I'm going to die and I need help.
Speaker 1: I think that's an important thing, isn't it that the other times you've gone, you're doing it because you've got a court matter coming up or someone told you to do. This is the light bulb moment where you think, no, I'm going to do it because I want to do it, and that must make it make a big difference. There was another thing, and it was a sad part in the article I read that your mums picked you up and you've gone back to the place to pick up your belongings, but you basically didn't have any belongings because you'd hocked everything and whatever you had left there. But you had a box containing fan mail there and.
Speaker 2: I've still got I've still got that box.
Speaker 1: That just made it just made me feel sad, Like I can just picture it going there and I've got nothing. And then there's people that used to look up to you, people that respected you, and you know, fan mail there. How did that make you feel?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's pretty embarrassing, really, you know. I guess it's pretty symbolic of exactly the position I was in, Like I was had hopped everything of any value and the only things I had left of any importance or that I deemed important was letters from strangers that I'd never met, and and why I thought they were important and why I still had them and why I put them in the ca And I've still got that box and I'll always always keep that box. And you know I have there's pictures and girls have written letters and made photo books of all of the places that I've been and seen. It was you know, yeah, it was hard. It's been that part to let go of that part of my life and to put that and to and it was a grieving process to grieve that person and that the idea of how I thought my life would play out took a really long time to put it in a place that I'm that I'm peaceful with and have a lot of acceptance and I don't live in a space of what if anymore.
Speaker 1: You've got through through that, you're back with your mum, and you're honesty, and I appreciate your honesty that yeah, you're not going to touch drugs again, but you touch it one more time.
Speaker 2: I touched it a few more times.
Speaker 1: All the time, sorry said one more time, you were alone. I knew more.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, No, it was a few look, I went to rehab. Three days later, I did. I went. I went back to a rehab that was that I'd been to a few years earlier. That I stayed long enough to know that there was a way out. But I was deep in that relationship. And whilst I stayed in that relationship, I was never ever going to get clean. But it gave me enough to know that they were there when and if the time ever came, and I went to their facility, but it wasn't a hospital or a lockdown setting. And I knew that I needed to stop, but I didn't know it was Having to stop was a whole different ballgame. And so you know that powerlessness and that drive, and yeah, I just couldn't control myself. So at nighttime, this is the truth. So at nighttime, when everybody else will go to bed and you could walk out the door, I'd be laying in bed, begging myself not to go, and I'd get up and I'd go and use, and I'd come back and then try and pretend that I hadn't used. And it was the most painful way to exist in the world. And so that went on for a little while, and then eventually I got caught doing that, and I went to a place called mold And Private Hospital in Melbourne and I walked through the doors and I'll never forget this moment. The last time I ever used a drug on the twenty sixth of March twenty eighteen, and I had this really romantic idea of how it was going to end, and it was going to be, you know, this way, and I had this big I won't use the wording, but I had this I had this big bit of drugs that I'd saved and I was going to use right before I walked in and I used and it didn't do anything, and it was the scariest moment of my life, you know what I mean. The drugs didn't work anymore, and it was I just knew that it was time for me to face myself, and so in I went. And I spent six weeks in that particular facility and it was the most painful, terrifying experience in my life. I detoxed from that relationship that I mentioned At the same time, it was the last time I had any contact with him too, which was equally as painful. And that was the beginning of the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: You would have to, I would imagine have to break away from him as well, the two of you together with one and show weakness and drag the other one down, or vice versa. Absolutely the six weeks of detox and you said it was the most painful time. Just tell the listeners that don't really understand what it involves physically, emotionally, everything that had on you that six weeks.
Speaker 2: So the physical part, I guess, you know, And all drugs are different, but the physical part with ICE is pretty quick. It hurts, like the body hurts and it aches and it's tired and all that stuff. But it's not like other B toxes. It's the mental game, I guess with Ice. And you know, I'd been gathering hate and shame and guilt and for myself and Karen, dragging that shit around since I was five, you know what I mean. And I just I just gathered so much of this pain and anxiety and fear and resentment and all of this shit that I've been lugging around. And I'd been avoiding it, and I had done literally everything in my power to avoid it for thirty two years. And I got lobbed and all of those things that kept me safe from feeling that got stripped off me and I got left to sit with myself, no phones, no internet, no ringing up somebody to distract it, like, I'm just left with myself to sit in it. And he was terrifying. And I had to face myself. I had to face all of those things that I'd done in the using, all the people that i'd hurt, all the things that i'd all the people that I'd wronged, which was a lot by that point, and that takes a lot of making peace with oneself to face that and take responsibility for it and not blame anybody else anymore and point my finger at the rest of the world. And you know, I had to look at myself and go, well, this is on u k. Like nobody else can fit. Nobody else in this world is going to be able to fix this. But you are the only person that can process hate, responsibility and move on from this. Your mum, your dad, your brother, your sister, God himself can't help you here. It's you. And so the first few things that really needed to change, and with the ultimate shift was I knew that I couldn't trust myself. I was not a trustworthy person in my life. Any thinking, any thinking that I had come up with wasn't going to get me anywhere good, you know what I mean? It was only going to lead me back out the doors, back into the houses, back into the places that I was. And I needed to come to terms with that and accept it. So I shut up and I listened to what these people in this place said and just didn't act on any thought that I had. And that was the bigg That was how it started to change, is when I went, you know what, I just need to listen and trust all these other people that have got my best interests at heart, and forget about any ideas I think I might have.
Speaker 1: That's a big shift in mine, said, isn't it Just You've got to make sure you don't trust yourself. But look where you're trusting yourself has taken you.
Speaker 2: Trusting me was a bad plan, and too long a time on my own, in my own thoughts, left to my own devices was and then stayed that way for a few years, you know.
Speaker 1: Ye, Well, yeah, I've spoken to people that have beaten an addiction, but they say it's always there. You've got to constantly work on yourself and how long? How long have you been cleaned for now?
Speaker 2: Coming up?
Speaker 1: As and do you is there practices you have in place to make sure that you don't have any setbacks?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Look, look I haven't in a normal day to day life, I haven't thought about using drugs or alcohol can be challenging at times. Yeah, not that I've thought about drinking, but sometimes I get a bit of fomo for a second, and then I wake up feeling good and everyone else's shit and then I go, yeah, not sad, I don't feel like then. But It's been years since I've thought about using drugs, you know. But there's certainly things that I do in my life to keep myself safe, Like I'll share this story, and this is a really important story and perspective for maybe anybody who's going junkies and junkies your choice. You chose that and all of that mentality, which I totally understand and respect, because unless you witnessed it or had a loved one go through it, or been through it yourself, it's really hard to understand why any normal person, when they get in that much trouble and pain can't just pull themselves up and change. And I get that but there's things I have to do to keep myself safe. For example, I had to hit replacement a couple of weeks ago, and I knew going into that that I would have to take pain medication and there would be some things involved in that that, you know, steps out of the rules of my normal day to day life. And because of previous experiences in recovery with taking pain meds, you know, I knew that that would turn that part of my brain up. And it was as an And it doesn't matter how many years or how much talking or how much awareness I think I have or how cool I think I am around it. If I don't put certain steps in place before those drugs hit my system, I'm gone, you know. And I experienced that in real time, and it's really interesting to be able to watch that part of my brain with awareness attached of Like, as I woke up from that surgery, before both of my eyes could open, I was thinking about how I could manipulate the nurse to give me more phentanyl.
Speaker 1: Scary, isn't it.
Speaker 2: That's not choice to me, that's powerlessness. Now on the flip side of that, recovery is one hundred percent my choice. There is nobody else responsible for me men clean other than me, And it's the choices that I make in my sane mind today that keep me safe from that part of me. So that's kind of how it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned when you're going in the hospital for the surgery, you said that you put steps in place. What steps did you put in place?
Speaker 2: So the first is everybody who's involved in that surgery knows in advance that I'm a recovering addict, like the surgeon, the anethetist, my nurses, anybody that's got anything to do with it, knows that the likelihood of me drug seeking is possible and that I might be asking for drugs that I don't need. Okay, So that's the first one, Yeah, that normally, And the second one is no, I try really hard not to go home with any medication that I can misuse and know like just in case prescriptions. So I did have to come home with some this time. I came home with minimal, though, and I can't be in charge of the medication. Somebody that I know, love and trust and understand the situation has to be in charge of the meds, and I just up my recovery game. So I check in with the people that I know from NA and the people that understand what can happen, you know, my family, checking with my family, anybody who sort of knows me and knows how my brain can be affected. And it was I'll tell you, like it was rough. It was a rough week. I had a lot of crazy thoughts and I just was really noticing my thinking and my behaviors were just no good. So everybody's just a little bit more on guard. But I keep talking and I don't pretend that I'm okay. I think that's the most important one. I don't try and pretend that I got it covered, because I probably don't. So I just say, hey, I'm having doesn't mean that I'm going to run off tomorrow and buy a bag of coke, but like, I'm having a rough week, and so just keep an eye on me.
Speaker 1: Okay. That's good advice, speaking advice. If you had children's loved ones or someone close to you going through what you went through at your worst times, as you're trying to come out, as you would diving in deeper, what sort of device, what sort of support would you try and give that person?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I get I get a lot of families contact me on social media asking me how do they help their son, brother, mother, whoever it might be. And it's such a hard one and I wish I had a magical answer for them, but the truth is you can't in a way like they'll get they'll offer them the help and have the help there, I guess, but they'll only change when they're ready to change, or if they're ready to change. The best thing that you can do for you is get educated. Get educated. Find there's a couple of different support groups. Family Drug Support FDS is a wonderful community of loved ones that you know, alan On is another one. And get educated on addiction and get educated on where to find the right help, because I think that's one of the most overwhelming things for families is when somebody is ready to get clean or sober or whatever it might be, they don't know where to go. You know, contact me. I'm always happy to share. I know some really reputable places in this country that I trust and with that kind of stuff. But get educated, get yourself educated so for the day when they do come to you and say I'm ready, You're ready, And that's I think one of the biggest things and mistakes that families make, and my family did for a long time until they got their own help and support, which they did. You know, when they went and got their own support, was enabling. You know, there's a fine line between love and enabling. And it's a really tricky one.
Speaker 1: It's a tough one, isn't It really is a tough one. But I like that I'll take that away about getting educated about it, because at some point in time, if you get the opportunity, you know what you're dealing with and what the best way of approaching it.
Speaker 2: Is so a great because often often addicts will tell you how they think they need to be loved as opposed to how they actually need to be loved in those times. And if you can, if you can work that out, then you two steps ahead.
Speaker 1: And you talk enabling. That's a difficult thing for with someone's going through it that you love. I'm there to support you. Sometimes it's got to be tough. Love, draw a line in the sand, and okay, this is it.
Speaker 2: Tough, tough little boundaries, boundaries, boundaries, and it's so hard when and I nearly fell off my chair when my mum and dad blessed their hearts. They didn't know any better. Enabled the hell out of me for years. And the day they turned up with boundaries and awareness and knowledge, I was checkmate, you know what I mean? I had, I was done.
Speaker 1: That's a good way of putting it. They've checked, madeed you, they check how can I maneuver around this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I was just like, no, these are the rules, these are the boundaries. Will help you with this. You know, we're not going to let your start, but I'm not going to give you the fifty dollars to go get the groceries. I'll turn up your house with fifty dollars worth of groceries. And it was just the way they shifted it into a way that was helpful as opposed to enabling.
Speaker 1: And that's that's good knowledge. So that's a good good information. Have you mended your relationships with your family and friends? Like you said, there's a lot of people that you needed to apologize for all the terrible things that you've done. How is your relationship with your family and your close friends, your long term friends unbelievable?
Speaker 2: You know, I by the time I got clean, nobody really wanted to come near me with a ten foot poll. I guess your parents or I'm lucky. My parents, you know, always loved me. They were furious. And look, the first thing you want to do about a week after getting clean is you want to call everybody and apologize and say how sorry you are. And you know, I think there's normally that natural thing of all. I just wanted to I'm like, I'm fine now if everyone could just forgive me. But you know, I'd said sorry forty thousand times already and it meant nothing. And it really just took time. It took time of me showing up and doing what I said I was going to do, and you know, continuing to do behaviors that slowly but surely let them trust me again. And that took time to build on that. And you know, I had to remove my expectations on them forgiving me and let them forgive me and rebuild our relationship in their time. And that's another mindset that I think has to happen in in recovery. Like they didn't know me and forgiveness, no one did, No one owed me anything, And I had to go into asking for forgiveness without expectation of forgiveness. You know, it had to be about just apologizing because it was the right thing to do. But yeah, that took years to get to that point. But you know, my sister and I I don't know how many times a day I talked to it, but we both have little babies about the same age, and you know, we're best friends, and my brother and I and Sally. I lost my mum a couple of years ago, which was pretty rough times, you know, But I did that without having to use which was pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: Yea. Yeah, Well, it's those little setbacks that there's always that danger period. But it sounds like you've got an awareness of what you need to do to protect your protect yourself.
Speaker 2: And that's what recovery is. It's about knowing and accepting my flaws and where I trip up and not trying to pretend that I've got this.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the most dangerous things for people who are addicts, is going I've got this, don't worry about it, like I don't have this, Like there's I'm only a couple of mistakes away from picking up a drug and I'll and it's really people find that really disheartening. And I don't I just that's just what I have to know for myself to keep myself safe. And because you know, I know that if I pick up a drug tomorrow. You know, I say this all the time. I'm a drug addict. I love drugs, and I you know, we'll always be more using in me. But I don't know if there'd be another recovery. I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: It be a long podcast if there was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God help me.
Speaker 1: I make this observation. I see friends that have had problems with alcohol or drugs or whatever, and sometimes I get frustrated the people that are close to them. You know, the person that's clearly got a drinking problem. Let's say, I'll come on, mate, we'll go out for a drink. Or they've just got out of prisons, say and come on, we'll go for a drink, the very thing that put them in prison. Do you have any people from your past or the reach out come out we're playing this, or have you consciously distanced yourself from that lifestyle so the temptations not there.
Speaker 2: So the first thing I did when I went to rehab, before I even came out, was controlled. I deleted my life. I changed my number, I deleted my I didn't just delete all the numbers. I went into my iCloud account and deleted my whole life and my past. I knew that anybody of any importance that needed to find me or wanted to find me would know where to find me, and if they didn't, then they didn't need to be in my life. And that was I needed that. As I said, I couldn't trust myself. So you know, six months in, had somebody from the past it oh, let's even just catch up. Let's catch up for a coffee, I would be, Oh, that sounds like a lovely idea. In the next minute, next minute, you know, I'm backing Shepherd and doing whatever. So that was one of the most important parts of moving forward, was leaving the past behind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that is a big, big step. Do you have any ongoing programs like Narcotics Anonymous or any of that you participate in those programs?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? So. Narcotics Anonymous played a massive part in keeping me clean, and I think big. I think the other part recovery of any sort, whether that be drugs, alcohol, mental health, depression, whatever it might be. I think everybody needs community, and you know, NA was what worked for me. But I just needed to have people that weren't my mum, my dad, or my brother or somebody like that that felt it was their responsibility to keep me safe. And I just it was about having people around me that understood the way that my brain worked and why, and we could talk about things and with no judgment and it was safe. And I'm a massive advocate for any of the a's, AA, G, A s, all of the a's, because it's just good to have people that understand.
Speaker 1: And could probably not just understand and watch out for warning signs if they got your back as well, because you're very like if you got any form of addiction, you become very cunning in covering things up.
Speaker 2: To it's fool yourself. Well, you know, you can fool yourself. You can trick yourself into thinking you're fine and all of a sudden you're not. So it's having people that do know what to look out for.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: If my friends haven't heard from me, and most of the time these days it's because I have two kids and I just forget what day it is. But if they haven't heard from me in a while, they'll bring in and say, hey, what you do what you're doing, or they'll know that I'm going in for a hit replacement. And nobody else thought of that, that hiccup turning up. But you know, they turn up at the hospital and they go, how many of those pills you had today? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you've got good people around you. Yeah, you've cut your old life off, You've cleaned yourself up, and you're no longer the pop star, the musician, you no longer the ice addict. You walk out. What do you do with your life from there? How did you rebuild everything? How did you find purpose? How did you find direction?
Speaker 2: Really slowly? And I believe that's been the key. I didn't know who I was Gary, You know, I didn't know what I liked. I didn't know how to get a job. I didn't know how to pay bills. I didn't really know how to do anything. I knew how to sing songs, and I knew how to take drugs. So I after I left that six week rehab, I then went into another program for about eighty months to two years, and it was called a sober living house, and it was more of a there was freedom involved in it, like I could go out the front door. It was the place that I mentioned earlier that I'd been to. I went back into there, and I really slowly but surely learned how to trust myself, how to trust my thinking. I didn't have a phone for a long time, and then when I did get a phone, I got one of those like old burner phones, flip phones, without the Internet and without social media. And I just slowly added stuff into my life and went out and tested it and went, yep, that's I'm okay with that, you know. And then I went and got a job, like just a job. I went and got my traffic traffic control ticket. And you know, for so many years I thought self esteem was wrapped up in the way that I looked and the clothes that I wore, or the cars that I drove, or the money in my bank. And you know, I learned that self esteem belongs in none of those places. It's all about doing esteemable acts and getting a job and turning up on time, clean and responsible and doing a job and going home. And it was just little not lying to people or turning up when I said I was going to turn up. All of this, these little one percent has just started to rebuild this life, and you know, I worked out what my morals and values were, and you know, I just slowly built a life and music was certainly not a part of that. In my mind, I didn't think it would be. I thought that I was done with music. And then I realized that I love music and I now do music in a way that fills my cup as opposed to chasing unicorns as.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes sense, and just getting that being through the path that you've been through, and especially the low part of your life, how rewarding it is. Just been a citizen again.
Speaker 2: And the first day I went to work, you know, the first time I got paid, the first after my first week of work, and I got up and I was going to work, I had my lunch, I turned up on time. Made me feel better than anything. It just I felt proud to myself and I felt like I was a person in the world. And I can't that nothing will beat that feeling the first time that I was a responsible human in the world. I'll never forget how that felt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all the pieces start to come together again. I've seen people whose lives were off the track and they talk about it just feels good just being being a normal person. And I'm not chasing whatever I was chasing before.
Speaker 2: No, it was a really pivotal moment.
Speaker 1: What about love? Did you find love?
Speaker 2: Love?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: I did, and I do. You know, part of my recovery was no men or because you know, I sickness only attracts sickness. You know, I don't think you can find a healthy relationship when you're crazy anyway. So I made a rule that I wasn't going to do any dating or go near any men for a while. So I did just that, and it took me a couple of years, and you know, I found a man and we've been together nearly, you know, over six years now, you know, I mean it's it's very which is great. It's very vanilla compared to anything I've ever been. If was very calm, it's not toxic, it's not bombs going off all through. It's very safe and it's wonderful. And from that, you know, I now have two little babies, which is something I never thought that i'd ever do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you've got your you've got your hands full there and it's nice that you're in the found found the right relationship and two kids, looking at the lessons that you've learned in life, what messaging or how would you try and steer your kids to let's not go down the path. Mum went all the dangers of going down that path? What what? What are the things that you've learned?
Speaker 2: Look? I and and to be honest, having kids, that was my one reservation about having kids is like I was terrified that they'd have my bug. And someone said to me, you can't. You can't live life with that thought. And you know, it nearly stopped me. And you know, I guess if they ever find themselves down that path, and I'll know where to send them. But I also know that I can't stop them. But I think I think it comes before the problem starts, you know. I think it's about teaching them from little ones, you know, even now about self worth and not that my parents didn't parenting I think looks really different then from what it does now. It's a different, different world. And I think it's about teaching them that they are enough and worth and building trust and knowing that you know, and removing shame from our relationship. And again not that my parents ever made me feel that way, it was just different you know that they can come to me with anything, and I think it's I think that's where it all starts, is you know, supporting them from when they're little as opposed to dealing with the issue if it comes up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well I'm sure you've got your hands full. How old are the kids now?
Speaker 2: I've got a six month old and a two and a half year old.
Speaker 1: Did you see you in ten years? Good luck?
Speaker 2: I feel like I need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well that's going to keep you occupied. You're doing the podcast as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I after it all happened, I guess people always wondered. People remained interested in my story, which I was always People wanted to know where I went because the last thing they saw I was going to jail for fifteen years, and then I was gone for a long time. So after many years and a few news people wanted me to come on and share my story, and I said, nah, it doesn't feel right. So I went and did a podcast and told the story in a lot of depth and a lot of detail, and the response from that was really surprising, and so I decided to carry on. And so I've got a podcast called why Do I Feel this way, and it's just sharing stories of people from all different walks of life that have faced different types of adversity and found better ways to do life than they did yesterday. And it's just something I'm really proud.
Speaker 1: Of, so you should be. And I think your story that you tell there's so many lessons to be learned in that. I think it's interesting, like we understand where people's lives are off track right from the start and think, Okay, well that's not going to happen to me because I've got the support round. But yeah, we make choices in life that can point you in the wrong direction. But I think the most amazing thing is you said, you know people wrape you off when yeah, you've been arrested and looking like or possibility of serving fifteen years. I remember that when it was hitting the media and I'm just probably looking at through it at the time with the cops lens think of course, she's fucked like that. She's not coming back from that, like you got the wake up call for the first arrest and then still doing it. But it just shows you can turn your life around. I think it's an important message.
Speaker 2: I think it's the most important message is. It doesn't matter. And I'm not the worst case going around either. Like I've met people in my recovery that have been further down the rabbit hole, even if you think there isn't further down, there is than I was. And they live beautiful lives to say, beautiful, full, rich lives, free from all of that chaos. And the message in it for me is it a It can happen to anyone like, so just don't beat that.
Speaker 1: I think that's an important thing to get across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone can find themselves where I did. You know, as I said from the beginning, this shit doesn't discriminate. But b it doesn't matter how far down you go, as long as you've still got two feet on the ground. I promise you can do it. It's not easy. It's pretty simple, but it's not easy, but it's it's doable, and a life beyond your wildest dreams is waiting for you if you if you just take the first step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you found I get the sense there's a peacefulness about you. You look at peace and the way you're talking and talking about your life. Now there's something cool about that too, isn't there? Like you know you sound like you were chasing chaos. But sometimes calmness in life. Life is not too bad.
Speaker 2: I love calm, I love quiet. It's you know, I'm happy for that. Life is pretty simple for me these days. And you know, I have starting to go back to work. As I said, I'm doing music and I go I like to do, you know, speaking about this stuff where I can, because I find that I have, you know, a unique position that you know, it was a pretty public situation and people, you know, I can use my story. It doesn't all have to be for nothing. It could be for something, so you know, I do that. But for the most part, my life's pretty peaceful. I'm peaceful, as you said, and I think, you know, yes, I have all the external stuff back in life. I've got cars and I don't have to rob people anymore, and all that stuff, you know. I you know, I've got money in the bank and houses and beautiful children and all that stuff. But the biggest gift I got from the work that I did is my internal world. I don't wake up with that impending doom anymore. I don't wake up hating myself. I don't I don't resent everybody and have I'm not riddled with anger and all of that shit that I carried around for all those years. Life is just life, and sometimes it's hard. Life throws donuts at you sometimes, but you know, I know that all of that shit passes. Nothing's permanent good nor bad. And I'll be okay as long as I don't use drink. You use drugs and drink alcohol.
Speaker 1: Well, Kate, we'll wrap it up at this point, but I just want to thank you for coming on the coming on the podcast, sharing a deeply personal story, and yeah, the value that people listening to this will get from hearing your story, I think it's quite inspirational, and yeah, it's it just shows that you can find find your way out of the darkest hole you can.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me, and thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: Me to listening, or to the audience to listen.
Speaker 2: Or anybody you, anybody listening. I hope it's a lot to hear.
Speaker 1: I hope there's more people listening just you and me. But even if there's not, I've enjoyed the enjoyed the chat. So thanks so much and all the best for the future, and good luck with the two kids. They're tough ages, Thank you, cheers
Speaker 2: Sent nineteen n