Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to a very special, live panic edition of Breaking Even with Al Peyton honor to the Supercoach AFL podcast feed. At time of recording, there is about trying to do the mess on my head. About thirty thirty one hours until the first lockout of the twenty twenty five AFL Supercoach season. There's plenty happening, and the big point of this show is to get your questions answered, so we'll get through as many as we can. I've got a bunch of socials already and you can leave them below because we are going live and I'm el Peyton of course and joining me patch. How you're feeling, I mean, how would you rate your Supercoach team at the moment on a scale of zero? Everything set, just totally come and zen ready for the season to start through to ten, changing it every five minutes, total disarray, unrecognizable looking squad.
Speaker 2: Of fifty thousand, which is the amount of money I'm going to win at the end of the season.
Speaker 3: It's actually feeling far more settled.
Speaker 2: Than it was forty eight hours ago. It's feeling good. It's feeling settled. How are you well? How are you feeling less than forty eight hours before we start locking in players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it probably a day ago. I was a bit all over the shop, but I feel like I've found my spot in the last overnight and just down to maybe one or two that I'm shopping and changing just to seeing it looks good like that. Then I flipped the other way and that looks good too, and just need to make a decision. But I suppose one thing we know is that you know, things can get thrown into disarray bit when the teams come out Thursday night, But were really the focus is on Thursday night you need to have your Richmond and Carlton players locked in. Then we get a little bit more time with a rolling lockout to maybe just take a deep breath and make sure the rest of the team looks good. But I suppose you know, we want to have our structures and things ready to go, and I guess you know you need Plan A and Plan B and Plan C, because yeah, funny things can happen around teams.
Speaker 3: Done they can, they can?
Speaker 2: I think, I think holistically before we start getting into questions, and there are heaps of them. We've got plenty flooding in already, yeah. I think generally the thing you want to be changing last minute as rookies, and that's about it. You don't want to be making big structure changes. You don't want to be suddenly leaping, you know, fitting two extra mid prices in or changing your primos around.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Generally we're just kind of looking at the rookies and that's hopefully everything is relatively settled before that, and that's why we're here today. We're hopefully going to help people get a bit settled. But we've got something. We've got the injuries first.
Speaker 1: Yes, well I will mention first you mentioned rookies, and people will have noticed, i'm sure on the podcast and Code Sports YouTube feeds just so much content pumping out in the last week or so leading into the first look out of the season that includes a special rookie Bible from our experts the feeds, and then Dan Batton got on last night, so make sure we go back and watch and listen to that if you haven't already to get the loadown on their picks for the cheapies this year, but I'm sure we'll touch on those a bit today, So like subscribe all those great things, but As you said before we get into questions, we do have a regular segment every week on this show. Every stupid coach needs to manage injuries like a pro. This is the HbF injury report. Let's get into it. Perhaps plenty of interesting names as we count down to Round one. I've got plenty on here, try and get through them quickly. Bo Allen interesting from the West Coast, obviously potentially popular rookie pick in the back line. Illness may miss round one, but it does throw up some interesting looping possibilities for people who want to try that. Elijah Hewitt. They're saying he is available despite being out of their last preseason match with some soreness, so he should be available for us. The Saints say rowand Marshall and Jack Sinclair will play in round one, so keep it close out on the teams, especially with some popular rookies that that might impact Gold Coast. Sam Flanders not going to play round one. He'll be back in round three, so if you got him in your team to take him out, I think he' still in about twenty percent a team, so make some late adjustments there. The Bulldogs put out an injury report which had five or six weeks down for Marcus bonson Peli with his calf injury, so obviously you can't start him, but we'll be.
Speaker 2: Sarching complex calf injury, which is my least favorite type of calf injury.
Speaker 1: That doesn't sound good. So yeah, we'll keep an eye on him when he returns, obviously, but tests for Ed Richards and Bailey Dale at the Dogs for this week's game against the Kangaroos. Connor Rosie did some kind of weird toe thing in a match tim the other day which was going around on social platforms, but he's okay according to the power, so feel free to pick him in your team. Tom Lynch out of concussion protocols, doesn't there any other injuries at time of recording. Can't guarantee nothing will happen before the game starts on Thursday night, but he's okay. One week for Kieran Briggs though with concussion, they said there were some you know, they tested to see if he had any neck issues, a pretty horrible incident in the game on Sunday. He was okay from that point of view, but will be in the concussion protocols for a week. So that means that Lockie Keith will be rocking I think for the Giants, and Tom Green is down as a test which is one we will be watching closely. I mean I had him in my team for a while early in the preseason. Won't be bringing back, but it might impact one of the rookies that the fewers have got in the back line in James Leaks. So yes, keeping a close eye on the GWS teams and of course all the teams when they drop on Thursday night. All right, do you want to get into some questions that's what they did all about.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes we do.
Speaker 2: We've had questions go out, We've had some come in earlier this week from Twitter or x and we'll start tackling some of them and then we'll go into the comments that have come in live. So should we should we get started?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, let's get into it because as you said, it's plenty to get through. We don't want to keep everybody here all day. But frog A kicking yourself saying Chera or Perim and viable or mirages. They just something that's teasing us and super Coach that will blow up in our faces like plenty A mid Price has in the past, I mean, it seems like the mid prices this year are a bit more reliable than in the past. Or is that just do we fall for that every year?
Speaker 2: I think we fall for that every year. But you know, do you look back and you're like, you know, did picking mid prices ever work for those people in the past, and there is no But it could just work for us. It could just work for us this year. I think Perrami's in my side. I certainly think he's definitely value. Adam Cherer I've never been sold on, but everyone who I know who follows Carlton thinks that he's ready to go. I think the preseason showed what he's capable of. I think they're both viable. I'm not convinced either is a mirage, so happy.
Speaker 1: I think Perryman very safe yea, I don't think actually had a heap of tackles the other day, but still scored in the nineties and I think he's going to be safe for around that most weeks. Chair is a bit more of a risk, obviously given his injury history, but I've certainly been sucked in by his preseason in the early fixture of the Blues. Hopefully he can put up some good scores early and then if something happens we deal with it then. So yeah, I've got both of them at the moment, Fraser saying Matt Flynn R too, Yes or no. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We've had a lot of questions about Matt Flynn and I've been toying between starting him at R two or starting at the flex. I think think I think if he's close to a must pick at the value he's providing, I don't quite like going with him at R two yet because you don't necessarily have the backup, and you know, having him in the flex means it if it goes wrong, you can downgrade him, upgrade him.
Speaker 3: If you've got some cash.
Speaker 2: You've got a lot more flexibility from the flex, which is really nice. But at R two your options are far more limited. So that's the reason I haven't gone there. But I do think.
Speaker 3: There's the big risk possibly big reward there.
Speaker 2: The flip side as well is if you want Tom d Koning and one of Cherry are gone, then it gets very hard to then pick Flynn.
Speaker 3: You can't have him on the bench.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean it depends on the rest of your team, but I don't think I think it's viable. There's every chance the person that wins Super Coach this year starts Flint at R two and he becomes what Cherry did last year. So I certainly don't think it's a bad decision to start him at R two, but proceed with caution, maybe have an exit plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I mentioned the Lair and Dossie there had a very intricate setup of picking Luke Jackson in the forward line so he could click him into the ruck if something happens to Flynn. So he's obviously put a lot of thought into that. And yeah, I think I agree with you that if you're brave enough to do it and it pays off, that could be a winning move. But it is it is fraught with danger, but yeah, sometimes you have to have to take risks to it. He's in my flex at the moment, you know. I think you're right that we have to pick him. Just haven't quite got the the bravery to go with that too. And it's so hard when you want, like you say, you've got Gorne, you got Cherry, you got t DK. You want to try and fit them all in there. So it does get tricky. But yeah, it could. It could definitely pay off. Nick says, with so much good value, how many primos are we starting with? So I mean, I suppose it comes down to your definition of primos. I mean I've got I think two players over six hundred k. But then if a sort of squint and say I reckon he could be a keeper, then you know, the total goes up a lot, a lot higher. But when you know how many do you think from the the very top end of the shelf.
Speaker 2: From the six six hundred k plus, I have three at this stage. I've got Cheesel Neil and Max Gorn who just oscillates between him and Cherry over and over. But in terms of primos, I think like a guy like Andy Brayshaw counts to promo. I think Clayton Oliver counts to primo. This year, I've got a Zaiwangen in D two. Jack McCrae, I think he is a primo. We had a question as well about Jason Hill Francis and Isaac Rankin. I think both of them are primos. I have both of them. I think he can lock those guys in pretty quickly, So yeah, I think they certainly scope to start more of those four hundred k guys, we've seen Will Day and Finn Callahango nuts early. I think there's certainly scope to start them. Whether or not we finish with them is a different question. And you know, we've had Joven on several shows so far this year, the winner from last year, Jove in May, and he's said that he, you know, last plays like Olli Wines certainly weren't you know, top class uber primos, but they got the job done for him. So yeah, I think it very much depends on what your definition of primo is and what you know what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a very difficult question to answer.
Speaker 2: But I'm still trying to make sure I've got guys that are in that top echelon that are just save captaincy options through the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good point. You want to at least have a couple of those guys that you can put the C in the VC on each week. And Nathan has asked who is your D two And this plays into exactly what you were just talking about, And really my premo account, I guess, is really oscillated because do I go with someone like Dane zorco at D two who came in about a week ago, and I really love that idea. And then now I'm sort of wavering and could I save a bit of cash by picking at Jordan Clark or an Asia Wangling Manganina Miller there and that gives me some more money to get a Finn Calahan type in the midfield. So I'm really i'ming an ring between those two. But if I look at my team at this moment, it is n at WM at D two for me. And I mean Jordan Clarke's been there too, that those two are most interchangeable. But what are you, well, does your say look.
Speaker 2: At the moment, Yeah, Nazza wagon and Malera is there for me at the moment as well. Jordan Clark has floated as well, but that he's been one of the most consistent guys that have just been in my team through the whole preseason.
Speaker 3: And I'm not in a rush to jump off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, happy, then you're not attempted to go with Azco or one of those other no sort of guys. And I think you know she's that we all love.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Zorko is very old and it's going to fall apart. And I said that all of last year and it didn't happen. But it's just like he's thirty six. They'll have to rest him. Kiddy Coleman will come back at some stage during the season. How that affects him remains to be seen. That there's a lot of value back there with guys like Perryman and Frasier and Roberts, who I think is certainly someone we need to jump on board. I think Roberts is very much a Locke agree with the phantom on the lair there, So I think there's enough other value around that I don't feel like Coats and Master by any means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. I think just got very seduced by the early fixture where they play Richmond and West Coast, I think in the first four games, so you could get some really big numbers out of him. But then, as you say you are, you know we're going to be making lots of trades as the season goes on, and do you really want to be worrying about thirty six year old guys doing and that you've paid, you know, six hundred grand for in the back line. So that's sort of I've moved away from him a little bit just in the last probably twenty four hours, but yeah, you can certainly put some big scores on the board earlier. I mean, this is we won't get go to fight down the rabbit hole. But the Phantoms team is up on all the Coach Sports and on the Super Coach chap click on the news tab. There is final teams in and he's definitely going down the road of going for just the guys who can put up some huge scores early on which last year turned out to be, you know, gave people a big head start. But the other way of looking at it is that you know it is a long season. Those best ada there's only three best ating rounds early and yeah, you're picking guys for the first three or four rounds or for the whole year. But it's one of those ones that we probably won't know which is the right approach until around twenty four and then we look back and think, oh, yeah, that was obviously we should have all done it that way.
Speaker 2: We should have all done it that way. All right, let's do some quick fire ones. We've had a lot of guys where they just want a rating. Do they want yes or no? Maybe on these guys I'm going to just hit you with a bunch of them. Tom Stewart, no, might get tagged. Yeah, Max Holmes, uh, Paul these.
Speaker 1: Last game was I don't know what happened there, but apart from that, I really like him, So yeah we say yes, yep.
Speaker 3: Jeremy McGovern, I did.
Speaker 1: Think about this, but then when I was just because that D two has been hard. But I mean, if we're talking about Zorka, you can't pick, can you again? They're just they're very expensive. If there was some value there, maybe you could take a risk.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Elijah Hewittt we've spoken about if named, I assume you're you pick him.
Speaker 1: I think so, yeah, just at the price end bit of DPP as well. Yeah, I think he's just handy to stash there at maybe M eleven yep. Trent Rivers, No, not for me. I think Melbourne has like that Midfield experiment is it was we'll get a bit of time in there, but now for tracks back they want to play ed Langdon in there now as well. Harvey Langcot's going to try and get some some center bounces. So I don't think there's enough there to get his scoring up to what we'd need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Simeons are from the lair. His boy Jakesonaligo been a question on whether you rate him.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he's a good player. I'm just sort of steering clear of Adelaide midfielders really because there's just so many of them that it's hard to know any given week he'll get the scores and you know, the most most cbas and all that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the last one was a toss up, would you rather Bailely Smith or Riley Sanders from DESI.
Speaker 1: I've got Bailey Smith. But yeah, this is an interesting one because I mean he basically was picked, you know, when Team Picker first opened, and he hasn't moved out of my team ever since then, because you know, all the obvious reasons that we thought this guy's going to be one of the best picks in Super Coaches year. We'll go to Geelong playing in the midfield. He's cheap. But I mean we've hardly seen him since then, so I can understand why people are a little bit nervous that canceling or you know, postponing opening round game. That was the one thing that would have been useful to actually get a look at him hopefully playing a full game and see what his role is and knowing that he's fully fit. So yeah, I don't. Yeah, I'm not not as locked in as I was. He's still there. I still think at the price, you know, he's going to deliver great value, but he's probably not. You know, I think McCrae and Daniel I could definitely see being top six forwards and they'll be there for the entire season. Bears. Just yeah, I'm just not really sure what we're going to get from him. He could average hundred wouldn't stop me, but if he averaged ninety three that probably wouldn't be a big shock either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got impaied for that nine hit to ninety five range. And I think he certainly value. I think he's a he won't let you down too much as a pick, but he's one that I'm just I'm fading. He's not in my team at the moment, not because I think he's a terrible pick. I just prefer to spend the money elsewhere. It's just like I've gone up to Isaac Rankin and I would rather ranking than barely Smith. Just with the way my team shuffled round, so I yeah, I still don't really trust Bevo, and I'm not entirely sure how Sanders will play out long term, but I certainly think to start the season he'll be quite good. There've been a lot of questions on rookies, and we're obviously very keen for teams to drop tomorrow night. But instead of going through that, we'll direct you once this episode finishes. Go listen, Go check the official Super Coach feed and the Code Sports YouTube. There is an official rookie just everything you need to know last minute rookie guide there from the Phantom and Dan Batton, who have answered all of the rookie questions far better than we can or will be able to. So I'll point a lot of the questions.
Speaker 1: Hold you up for a Second's going to just ask you, how many rookies have you got on the field in fens and the forward line.
Speaker 2: Two and two in defense and the forward line, one of them being Jackson Pryor down back and then Sam poul Pepper at the moment is in my forward line.
Speaker 3: This is a bit more security.
Speaker 2: I think we've got slightly more than we were panicking about. I just feel slightly better about them than a lot of other people do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. Yeah, I mean I've got one in one. But yeah, that's something I've been doing and throwing on and again. As you say, when teams come out, that'll help a bit, But especially in those early best dating rounds, those sort of lower scores are going to drop out anyway. So if that gives you cash to spend up elsewhere, maybe that's the way to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and across the board, my rookies are just a little bit more expensive as well. I listened to the lair they're talking about having more expensive guys on the bench. I've got nath Thradriscoll and leave By Ashcroft on my midfield bench and Isaac Kacka on the forward bench. So I would rather be paying up for rookies that will be there the whole way through the season, or the whole way through the early part, rather than possibly going for like a hy Boxhel or a Lucas Campa Rally who maybe might not be there for as long we don't know.
Speaker 1: Yep, No, that's fair and that's up. Yeah. I mean you get someone summed off as we saw with children the other day, and it just just kills them in terms of cash generation and points obviously, So if you can find guys that we think will be safer, yeah, probably he's worth paying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: The only other questions there was a few on the younger Essendon guys a LAS artists covered in that rookie podcast, but I assume you're starting him, and then Ben is also asking about Ben Hobbes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it should defer to you as as the bombs man, I mean, he got plenty of CBA's in the practice match. Was that the aiming series or the other one? And he is cheap. I think he's in the two hundreds.
Speaker 3: Isn't he. I'm just getting that two sixty.
Speaker 1: Two and he's a forward, so that sort of similar price. I've got Hugo Garcia down there, who's I think two forty five, so it's around the same mark. I mean, if he's getting, you know, set of bounces, that's kind of his go and can score okay, But where do you see him fitting in in when this actually names their best site?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 2: I really couldn't, like I struggled to name the best twenty three now at the moment, and I think Ben Hobbs is very much on the periphery of it. There's a chance that if he has a bad game and then he's out, will set a field comes in. He might be the sub they used him ass a sub a little bit last year, could be subbed off as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Just we've got, you know, guys like Garcia and Caleb Daniel around. I think they're probably options i'd be going for instead. The only other question before we can move on for live questions to come in Nick Dekos, what did he make of that opening round Debarcle from the Pies? Do do you jump up him? Off him if you've got him.
Speaker 1: I was initially in the camp of note because you know you're picking him for the whole season. If he drops a little bit in price doesn't really matter. But I have actually taken him out now, just thinking like it is a money game, and if you pick him and play over six hundred and whatever K is now and other people can get him for fifty k cheaper than that, that is an advantage that everybody gets on you because you know that's fifty k that they've been able to spend somewhere else. So the timing of it can get tricky like it's you know, we were talking earlier today on off are about to Finn Callahan and the idea that you know, do you wait until after his buy and then try and get him in because they have the early buy and his price won't move until round three and all that sort of thing. But then you still have to have the trades and the money at the right time to make it happen. So it's easy to say, I'll just get to take us after his buy, but then you'll still be close to six hundred thousand dollars and you know that early in the season, I don't know that that's going to be such a simple maneuver. But if you get points on the field somewhere else through you know, it's spreading that money around now and then maybe it's around six or seven when the planet's aligned and you can you know, I'd certainly be targeting him to try and get him in, and he's going to be a finished team for certain But I think that is what I'm going to try and do. Whe whether I can actually you know, make it happen, We'll wait and see, you know, you know, heaps of things are going to come up and you know we'll be trying to get Bontempelli and around the same time and all these kinds of things. But at the moment he's not in for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fair enough. Should we go to some live questions now? Do you want me to read him outor do you want to read him out?
Speaker 1: Or how we how we we can drop it Jane if you like. But Haru wants to know about Jordan Dawson. I was already mentioned my sort of philosophy on Crow's midfield. I think he is probably under price, but still just the nervous about probably going to be highly fluctuating scores. I think he can put up some really big ones, but he might have some some ones on the other side as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the scaling king where he does a lot in last quarters.
Speaker 2: But also if he gets thrown forward then he might disappear for half a foot year. So there's He's certainly a brilliant footballer, very much a MISDI fix it kind of situation. I think his value, but I think as well, we've seen a lot of guys come through. You know, you look at Callahan or Callahan day, sorry, share a few of these other options and kind of if you're going to them, you probably can't afford as well the Dawson types. So I think he's very easy to fall out of your side on that front.
Speaker 3: I like him.
Speaker 2: I think he's been an out of my team. I hope he has a very good year, should bounce back. But yeah, that fluctuation you mentioned means that he's probably going to be cheap at some point when he has one odd game, so certainly that a must start.
Speaker 3: I don't think I.
Speaker 1: Like this like this from Wayne Jayden short is like finding an old magazine under the car seat. I know I shouldn't thought, I want to talk me out of it.
Speaker 3: You're the Richmond man. Are they going to play and kick Chip Mark? And he'd well, she gulled up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean at a mouse went on the Club podcast a week or so ago and did say that, you know, he's trying to teach the players to you know, really the Richmond way with the under dimmer was to just get it and get it forward at all costs. And now maybe we need to learn we're not that same team anymore. Slow it down, sometimes have different gears, and maybe that is a style that they can try and to pull it a little bit more. I mean, it looked like in the preseason they did attempt that a little bit, but I wouldn't say it was a hundred percent successful. So I think he's again he's one of these guys that will be value. He's priced at eighty two I think from last year. I'm sure he will do better than that, But I'm not sure that he's a He's never been a He's never scored over one hundred and a season, never everaged over a hundred, had a couple of ninety eights, And he could potentially get back up there. And if he does, then he's you know, you could have him as your last defender at the end of the year. It'd probably be okay. But yeah, I'm just I don't know. I mean, Richmond just makes me very nervous. I don't know how big you know, how many points Richmond players are going to score as a rule this year. So yeah, yeah, I don't have him at the moment. But yeah, I can see.
Speaker 2: Why people are thinking, Yeah, I agree, he's just a background noisy here that we've just got some questions coming in live from your house. Yeah, kind of in the same boat where you know, you mentioned he could be that last defender, but also Periman could be that last defender. And there's a world where Roberts is that last defender as well, and you like, you know Frasier's same mold. How many of them do you start? How many of them do you keep? I don't have him in I also like, don't have the mental afforditude to watch his score fluctuate every week. I just can't do it to myself.
Speaker 1: So that pre season game was a classic, wasn't We had about one hundred a half time and then barely touched it after that, So I think there'll probably be a bit of that over the course of the season.
Speaker 3: I will not be doing that to myself this season.
Speaker 1: So yeah, who else have we got?
Speaker 3: On?
Speaker 1: Thoughts on ed Richards? So we did well. I don't know if it came through because there was some ticket shues early, but I think he's down as a test was mentioned in the HbF injury report. But if he plays do we like Ed Richards? It would have been nice to see him through the preseason, especially no bond for Law. Obviously, we saw a little bit of him in the midfield last year and it was great, So is there enough there to go on?
Speaker 3: I think there there is certainly the role it'd shown.
Speaker 2: You know, Bevo loves him and thinks he's a really good footballer, and that's kind of enough to you know, get him, get him a decent look. He's two came more expensive than kind of Rosie though, And I don't know if you're picking a guy who hasn't really had a clean run at over someone like Rosie and if we're looking at the Balldold. So there was a question that came through before that I saw about Libertore who I think I'd rather if you're picking someone from that dog's midfield's you know, Sander's up forward or I think maybe liber has slightly more runs on the board and has also not been interrupted this preseason, so I think that's yeah, I wouldn't be picking Richard's but he's not.
Speaker 3: I like him. He's a good footballer. He will be fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. In a comment here from a good friend, Abdul is, well he's got no money left to the bag. Sorry, I don't if we can really help with that one.
Speaker 2: This is one that if you if you can just transfer me just one hundred thousand dollars in real money.
Speaker 3: Then I'll sort you out.
Speaker 1: Benjamin asking here when I know a few people wrestling with his Cherry v Gorne. So the Phantom has brought Gorn in. I think you might be a Gorn man. I've got Cherry there. I have looked closely at that fixture. And obviously we know what happened the other day with Kieran Briggs going down. He's going to miss this week the Giants played Melbourne mexicourn you think. I think the Phantom said might eat Lucky Keith alive, which could happen. But is that enough to pick him for the whole season? He's a little bit more expensive. We know how good Cherry was last year. Actually, I think Fanto might have found a way to fit him both. So that is that the answer? You just picked the two?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if you don't pick them, then you've got to watch Tom de Cooning score three million points over for the first four games of the season. So I'm still a bit up in the air. I've currently got gone. I've had Cherry for a long period of time. I had Gorne and Cherry and was fading Deconing for a little bit and then that made me feel physically ill. So I think I think Gorne scores more in the opening five weeks. He's got GWS with no Briggs North Melbourne's so Cherry will be a tough match up an aging Jared Wits Sam da cooning against Geelong and again could feast an ungodly amount and then Essendon, who a difficult to score against from a perspectives.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think Gown's got He's got a very good opening run, but I think both of them will be top three rucks by the season's end.
Speaker 1: I think you can't really go wrong with either, to be honest. But yeah, as you say, Gorne, you know, expects some pretty big numbers early on. He has a weird history of not scoring very well around one, but I don't know if that all continue this weekend this he might.
Speaker 3: Be a lu Cryan, is he?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, I've got Cherry. But yeah, either either are good and they probably are going to be the top two rucks at the end of the year. We see what happens with TDK. But then yet, like he's gonna have some big numbers earlier, So pick your poison now. The question here about Roberts being a trap. I don't think he is. Feels like Coxsville experiment a bit and move stuff around, But I mean, I think the good thing from roberts point view the other day was that he actually did he have one kick in for the game, so he wasn't relying on getting all the kick ins to score. He positioned himself nicely in the back pockets so him when Blake he took the kickings, he generally kicked them to Roberts who could then get a mark and get some points for that, and then sixty meters up the field where he pretty much hit a target every time. So yeah, it actually showed that he's got a few different ways to score. He gets a few more pick inscts might make it even a bit easy for yep.
Speaker 2: And if he plays in the midfield, he's got pedigree from like a junior level that he scored points for fun and the Sam flonderrade ends, so shout out to Phantom.
Speaker 1: This is an interesting question from Zach. Should I get Petraker or is it too risky. He's just a little sneak peak reveal and when I put my team reveal out, he is currently my m two. Is that crazy? I just feel like he's been forgotten by everybody. I mean, obviously his preseason hasn't been ideal, but it didn't look like he mister beat when he came back for their Amy Series game. And if I can't quite afford Gone, I'll get the next best thing when he gets a thousand hitouts this weekend and pick Clary and Petraka in my midfield.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I think if he works for you by structures, then yeah, he's a good pick. I think he looks back, He looks back, he looks fit. Lock him in.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that confirmation. I like that question about Cherit if Walsh plays, so we think Welsh will come back. We'll find out that seems probably in a few hours. But does that ruin Chera as a pick, do you think? I mean, I think they all still work pretty well in there, and I mean especially against Richmond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see that being a massive issue for Chair.
Speaker 2: I think the issue with Chair is the competition between him and Day and Callahan and Oliver. You can't have all of them. There was a question before about how many is too many? And I think two is a good amount and three. I don't know how I feel about three. Chair is at the bottom of my rankings of the four of them.
Speaker 1: So does Clary count see one of the three?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think if you've got Clary, Day and Callahan, you're starting to stretch it depending on, you know, not having enough rookies or not having enough firepower from from guys who will be top eight mids. I think these guys are kind of in the fifteen ish range. Yeah, I just I don't like the idea of going in with a lot of them, and Nature is at the bottom of that list for mine, just because I see more upside in the others. But I don't think he's a bad by any means his value. He will score well, he'll you know, should play vague. Injury concerns also play into that he's got a history of him Yeah, history of injuries. So a little bit worried on that front.
Speaker 1: A couple more quick ones here, Marshall. He agrees with you help Pepper saying better than Lynch. They're both around the same price in the forward line. And I don't mind that just as a you know, just absolutely rock solid. You can't imagine you've ever been the sub or anything like that. So she'll put up you know, sixty seventies every week and that's enough to make some money.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Tom Lynch will have Game three scores twenty one because he's playing as full forward in a Richmond side.
Speaker 3: And I love Tom Lynch.
Speaker 2: I think he's a you know, if he was in a better team, he would be an absolute lock. But I just think Richmond will be sorry, I'll so woeful this year that I don't really want a bar of anything other than rookies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, full forward for Richmond this year is probably the worst scoring role you can think of in super coach. Maybe you know, small forward or forward pocket for Richmond would be worse. So what does that make you? What do you think of Sam Laylor now that he's going to play. Obviously, he looked really good in that practice match against the Eagles, was probably Richmond's best player, and then he got injured right at the end. But now they're saying he's back over two hundred k. I don't think I could walk out for that, you know, having seen so little of him. But I think he actually will go pretty well. But with all those other expensive rookieses. We probably don't need him. I don't think no.
Speaker 2: And the fact that he's mid only he means he's competing against a bunch of other guys and that, yeah, he's just further down the list. If someone you know looks really good will be a great player, just if he's playing splitting his time up forward. For Richmond, he will have games where he kind of disappears and doesn't score, and that's really bad for cash generation. He want guys that he's consistently scoring. Yeah, you could do worse, but I yeah, not for me, not over the likes of you know, looking at Nathan drisk Or, Levi Ashcroft, Lajah Statis, Fino Sulomon, ed Allen All at the same price point, said dre pro if he's not the sub, yeah, I just think all of those guys are ahead of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we had a couple of games to look at him, and if he turns out his scores, yeah, two chances to start the year. We can make a switch after round two. This is an interesting question, Dodgie Malacca asking why is Harry Boyd still in sixty percent of teams when Marshall is coming back. I mean, I think the answer is because he's ninety nine thousand dollars. I definitely wouldn't have him anywhere near the field on two or on the flex, which a few people were playing around with earlier on in the preseason and we thought Marshall might miss the start of the year. He's probably fine for the rock bench, given that's not many other options there, But I'm not sure how many games he's actually going to play. I mean, you're probably just sticking him there. I think he's a loophole for now, and you know, hopefully he comes in at some point, maybe Ross tries to mix things up at some point and with all some Killers' injuries he gets a run. But yeah, I'm not sure he's going to play too many games alongside Rowan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the fact there aren't any other standout options is probably part of it. But yeah, I think when teams are released tomorrow night at that number will go down a fair bit, especially if someone like Archer Readers named, then I think we'll see a pretty big fix over. But yeah, there's there's no real other options at this stage, so that's that's probably why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't reach probably the name I'm looking for on the teams. If he is name for the Eagles did a bit of a sort of backup rocking in the preseason and he's got ruck forward, So yeah, it wouldn't be the worst yet to check on the bench there if you have a few extra dollars. But yeah, the nine y nine k is is very appealing. What about a quick draft A latter question. We know you're a big supercoach. Draft men, which of these rucks would you pick Boyd, Soldo or Stanley some match.
Speaker 2: We are scraping in the bottom of the barrel in the draft, I would hope, So you hope you don't have pick three? Jeez, that's maybe Stanley if you can handcuff a ruck. If you've got Raley O'Brien, then take someone like McAndrew I think would be better. But I think Soldo is probably the best chance to get a run. Him or Stanley would be the two I'd be looking at for draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, not a lot of great often there. I've got a few more questions quickly to try and get through. Question from Martin here SDK or assuming means a frasiers in Joel Fraser from the Dogs, so both in that sort of three hundred thousand dollars range in the back line. There was a bit of a rush to SDK when we heard the news he was going to play ruck for Youlong, and then he did in a practice Mansion was not that good, scored pretty horribly. They sort of shared the ruck between him and Blitzers and he's been the rest of the game at full back and didn't seem like a great super coach move. But he did actually play in the rock last year a few times and scored all right, sort of in the nineties. I think even that game when his brother completely dominated, he's still actually scored okay. So if that's something you know, if he's named in the ruck tomorrow night, is there some value there or What do you think of JOELH. Frasier, who has looked pretty good for the Dogs in the preseason, but he's only ten games into his AFL career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'd be I'd rather Frasier of the pair of them. I just think he's got more upside and he's got a role that's just more more set and more reliable to get him some points decooning depending on who's rucking against might have a mayor or might be able to do what his brother does, and you get some tackles, we get some possessions. My main worry with deconning is just having watched Geelong mess around in the Rocks for ten years, I just have no faith that Chris Scott is going to not bring Ree Stanley back in round three and then you know, ditch Ree Stanley again in round you know five, and bring in what's the young Edwards? Whoever the young ruck is like they're just Conway.
Speaker 1: Or somewhere down there on the Injurviet. Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 3: A mess and I don't want to bar off it.
Speaker 2: And you know, if if you take the puntner comes off, then incredible. But I think it's just too big of a risk for my liking as well. We've had some questions come through from Instagram as well, Max Murray asking if Bailey Humphrey is one to watch. He had twenty touches against Sydney and lots of cbas, have you got any interest in Bailey Humphrey as a cheapish forward option.
Speaker 1: I mean not as a starting pick. I like him as a player and I'll in this one we can keep an eye on. He's shown in the past that he can score pretty well with some sort of high impact board type. But I remember I actually didn't have him that year when he came in the year and he put up some really good scores. And it seems like three or four games in a row he like kick the winning goal or did something crazy at the end of it. You know, all this extra scaling. So maybe that's just you know, his superpower. But yeah, just just to watch for me at this statue.
Speaker 3: Yep, agreed.
Speaker 1: Any others there someone asking about Luke Ryan Craig saying if he's worth it at DE two, and I mean I think my short answer is no, just because he's so expensive, but I think he was still scoring, Okay, he's probably the ownership is quite low considering he'd probably be your top six defender at the end of the year. It's just, you know, we're all trying to get the best value we can out of every pick. And I mean even we're paying up for Cheesel because we think he can match or a potentially even go better than last year Ryan averaged. I think in the end it was aout one hundred and fifteen after being insane in the first half of the year and then tailing off a bit towards the end. And that's the worry that you know, if you pay that much money for him for one fifteen average and he averages one of six or something, that's still fine, but yeah, there's more sort of points for dollar doesn't look so great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I think that's the crux of it, where you know, most people only have space for one release and Guy and Harry, She's all looks like he'll be that guy Ryan, we'll score one hundred and sixty in round one because he always does.
Speaker 3: Just every year he just pops off. Some people will flock to him.
Speaker 2: But I think if your old fan will get him for we'll get him for much cheaper throughout the year. And that's that's the reason I'm not starting him. I think he's a very solid pick.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agree with that. So I think we should wrap up here with this question that there's a few people buy something similar, and it is the first year we've ever had to deal with this, so to be honest, we don't know the answer. We're guessing a bit. But Herman asking who is the best flex option, another ruck or a mid And my kind of answer is that I think in an ideal world, I'd have him like a mid forward sitting there. But just the way that it's panned out, we've got all these rucks that we want to pick. You know, I want to get t Dk in with that run with him solo rucking. I'd love to pick Gorn and Cherry, but can only fit one of them in. And then you've got Flynn, who we know in the past. Cheap rucks can be the best cash cows in super coach because you've got access to all those points. You're at every center bounds just about. You're getting hit outs, you're getting tackles and stoppages, clearances and all these sorts of things that just you know, it's not that hard for I mean not hard. You know it's got to be in April football. But do you see these backup racks coming and they can quite often score seventies and eighties. You know that much easier than you know, I se Hm Laylo, who's got to do it playing in the midfield or in the half forward or other players who are getting subbed on or off. You know, they're not so much subbing ruckman out of the game. So I think I have to find a spot for Clint. If it looks like he's going to be the number one ruck at West Coast, which we think he will be, I guess we'll see the teams hopefully that pans out. So for me, flexes the spot for him. So I'm a little bit, you know, I kind of don't love the fact that by doing that year sort of he has to be there. You have to pick him in your best twenty three every week because there's no way to move him unless he's swapping him with a BOYD or someone at three, whereas if you've got to a DPP there you can move players around to try and get your best players on field each week. But having said that, you know your rock ruckman, who starting ruck is going to be probably in your best team every week anyway, and then hopefully he can just make a heap of money in the first sort of seven or eight rounds and then we can use it. You see how the flex plays out for the rest of the year in terms of you know who the best players are to roll through there. But it's a bit of a sort of a confusing answer but at the moment, yeah, it's many Flinn for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd also have Flynn in there, But throughout most of the preseason, I've tried to have a forward mid like a Lajah Few.
Speaker 3: It's been sitting there for a long while.
Speaker 2: Isaac Kaco, who's the third most popular flex player, as revealed on the Lair this week. You know, those guys I think give you the most flexibility, and I think they're you know, by seasons, and.
Speaker 3: I'll look to have a mid forward in that position.
Speaker 2: Someone like a you know, someone with a massive ceiling ideal, like a Shay Bolton type possibly would I think be the ideal person to sit in that flock spot.
Speaker 3: That the type of player.
Speaker 2: But yeah, as as you said, just the value from Matt Flynn is just like not something that we can ignore. He's not somebod who can sit on the bench. He's not someone I trusted r too, So he's in the flax and that's just kind of you know, what the new position lets us do.
Speaker 3: But I think long.
Speaker 2: Term, you know, in any other year, someone like Hugo Garcia maybe could have been the perfect option there, But I think Flynn is just undeniable from where I see it. But if it was the choice of giving Matt Flynn any position, I'd be giving him mid forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah that flex, Yeah, ideally exactly. So everybody, thank you for tuning in. Thanks, we got through a heap of questions here. There's more there. We didn't have time for everybody, but we will be back tomorrow. Well, I will be back tomorrow night for the live teams show here. I think the Phantom is going to jump on for a special Round one sort of panic addition, we'll get the teams tonight, I guess from the Richmond Carlton game, and then we'll have all the teams tomorrow for the full Round one. And it's just crazy that it's so close after you know, weeks and weeks and weeks. I remember when team pick are opened and no, this team looks pretty good. Now we're sort about a point where we have to lock in some choices and actually stick by them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, enjoy those unlimited trades where they last, because there's not long left now before you have to lock it in and those trades become worth their weight in gold.
Speaker 3: So nervous, excited, keen for just lockout the start.
Speaker 1: Yep, Thanks everybody for listening, Thanks Patch for jumping HbF, and yeah, plenty more content to come. As I said, live show tomorrow, heats and content on the site. Team reveals a consensus, team, cheat sheets, all kinds of things. Fill your leagues and let's get into it. Supercoach is almost Yeah, let's still seem