Speaker 1: On Scolus Australia.
Speaker 2: This is the Reader Panalty Show.
Speaker 3: Good evening and welcome to the Rita Panety Show.
Speaker 4: Coming up tonight, the Albernizi government's or Wellian disinformation legislation is making news in the US. Douglas Murray will be with me shortly to discuss that and much more. The man behind the groundbreaking research into institutional anti Semitism at the BBC will join me later in the hour, and Nick Cator will explain why the Tials are lurching further left and talking about the left.
Speaker 3: Tonight's edition of Lefties.
Speaker 4: Losing It features totally normal folk telling us why Conservatives are so weird.
Speaker 5: What is something weird about Conservatives?
Speaker 6: There is a almost a cull tesh vibe. I feel, the way they operate within themselves. They refuse to listen to outside people you know there, refusing to learn, essentially, I think that is a large part of it.
Speaker 4: Now we hear plenty from the tills about Conservative male MPs in the Australian Parliament needing to lift their standards of behavior, but nothing about their ideological bedfellows. The Greens are indeed former green Lydia Thorpe who this week decided to interrupt Liberal Senator Alex Antick as he tried to speak about divisive welcome to country ceremonies.
Speaker 7: Have a look at this now.
Speaker 8: The idea that AFL fans and players are expected to listen to these ceremonies when all they actually want to do is watch the footy is extraordinary, and one suspects that many viewers, who in principle wouldn't have had a problem with these practices, are getting as fed.
Speaker 9: Up Antice senathorpt of order.
Speaker 10: No, I just want to interrupt his speech.
Speaker 9: Seriously, can we just you know too minutes? It's an antic thank you.
Speaker 3: Oh dear.
Speaker 4: The speaker was fed up, but Lydia was not done yet.
Speaker 8: Woke community meetings, woke sports matches, wope council.
Speaker 9: Meeting, the antics and just visunior seat colleagues. We're only asking to listen in peace and quiet for two minutes, that's all. It's not a big ask. Can we just do that one? The galleys full of people watching the behavior here, it's quite childish. Order, Senator Antique, you have the core again.
Speaker 8: I think we are making the point very clearly here. Now it's two hundred and fifty thousand years, and as we've said before, I don't need to be welcome to my own country in nough to you, what we witch witnessed before the match last weekend was a product of letting this ride for too long? Have you had enough? I certainly have.
Speaker 4: Joining me now as senior fellow at the Menzies Research Center and senior columnists with the Australian newspaper, Nick Kait Nick, what did you make of Senator Thorpe's performance? The speaker was certainly frustrated.
Speaker 11: Yeah, look at what I love about Alexander as he goes in there and says things will be perfectly uncontroversial in probably ninety five percent of Australia, but of course in the Senate Chamber, Oh.
Speaker 10: No, how dare you?
Speaker 11: And because Lydia Thorpe put on the usual display, I think that's what she's there for, is entertainment, by the way, But of course Alexander's perfectly absolutely correct. You know, the welcome to country thing is a relatively modern invention and it's completely misused. It's used for virtue signaling on the one hand, and it's also used to make money, as you know, by aboriginal groups, Aboriginal corporations who charge handsomely to anybody who's willing to pay for their services. So I'm with Alex on this one. Definitely yes.
Speaker 4: And the interruptions they're saying, I'm just interrupting for the sake of interrupting.
Speaker 10: At least come.
Speaker 3: Up with something. Go through the motions, pretend.
Speaker 4: Now, let's go to the wacky world of academia. And after the Australian National University reversed its decision to expel a student who had expressed support for her Mass, we learned that this student be Trice Tucker, is now running to be president of the a and u's student association. Let's just listen again to that infamous ABC interview where she expressed unconditional support for a terrorist group.
Speaker 11: You've also got to send a meshies to Hamas to release the hostages, don't you.
Speaker 12: Well, I actually say that Hamas deserve our unconditional support, not because I agree with their strategy.
Speaker 2: You can't condemn what her mass did in October.
Speaker 12: I will not condemn what Hamas did. We must be unconditional, but we must be critical also.
Speaker 4: Nick, how will Jewish students fear if she's elected president of the student association.
Speaker 11: I think they feel distinctly uncomfortable. Really, it's a terrible thing. I mean, I remember read too. I don't want to sound like the old bloke again, but I remember the days when universities were for the best and brightest. But when you listen to people like this, do you see that they're now open to the dullest and dimmest. This woman she can't even have read. Can I just read you one of her little messages? She says, just want to affirm that Palestinians, it's got a four in the middle of it, for some reason, have the right to resist by any means necessary, as recognized under internal law. What does she mean, Well, it's if she means international law. Is she sheal is genesting that the right to resist by raping, pillaging and killing babies is preserved under international law? I think not. It's just the absolute. I don't know that the no nothing quality of these people, and I don't know what they're doing at university. It would seem to be a waste of time educating them.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, there's a few things I could say here, but I will refrain. Before you go the tills are well, they're going to the likes of socialists like AOC and Bernie Sanders for advice. The Climate two hundred, the group behind much of the TILLS campaign funding, is going to host an event titled how to Win Lessons from Obama, Bernie and AOC, featuring a Democrat spin doctor who has worked on the campaigns of America's most left leaning politicians and helped push the disastrous Green New Deal. Next, Sure, the Tills just merge with the Greens.
Speaker 3: I think that would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 11: Well, they are right, they are the Gucci Greens. I think we call them, don't we. They are the green virtue signalers, people who they don't like to cool themselves Green it's got a sort of you know, a sort of wild tinted through it. But teal is much more the sort of color that's at home within in places like Wentworth in Sydney had about us tay that Australians headline writers to task on this one, if I may reader, because they described this as a socialist intelligence unit, which I would have thought it's a contradiction in terms. But anyway, perhaps they cannot keep that one.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, that is a good point. Nick Kita, thank you so much for your time this evening.
Speaker 3: Joining me now.
Speaker 4: Is best selling author of groundbreaking works including the Strange Death of Europe, The Madness of Crowds, and his latest The War on the West. Douglas Murray, Let's start in the US, and apparently Kamala Harris grew up as a middle class kid, and that's going to solve inflation.
Speaker 3: When it comes to the economy.
Speaker 5: Do you believe Americans are better off than there were four years ago?
Speaker 10: So I was raised as a middle class kid.
Speaker 11: When we talk about bringing down prices and making life more affordable for people, one or two specific things you have in mind for that.
Speaker 10: Well, I'll start with this. I grew up a middle class kid.
Speaker 4: And now her running mate Tim Walls is also going with that answer when asked about inflation.
Speaker 9: Let's start with inflation.
Speaker 5: What do you tell people who wake up frankly each morning wondering how am I going to get buy financially?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tell them, Gamo Harrison, I know something about it.
Speaker 9: It being a middle class vote, Douglas.
Speaker 4: Is this strategy going to work? The media seem to love it. The glowing coverage has not stopped for the pair, but is the electorate going to buy it?
Speaker 13: It's very inting. There are really only two reasons to do this line. The first is that both Harrison Walls feel about the American public don't know who they are, and that may be actually quite a good estimate of where they stand. Tim Watz has only come across the American public at largest radar in the last few weeks since he has named the running mate. And it's true that to a great extent, you know, people don't really know Karla Harris, and so it seems to me fairly obvious that their teams have said to them, you know, you've got to establish yourself with the electorate and let them know who you are. It's quite interesting that the first and second most important jobs on earth are being competed for by people who feel that the public don't know who they are. But let me just go on the second reason. The second reason you would say that is because you don't have a policy, because you have absolutely no idea of how to bring down inflation and to bring down the cost of living for average households in America. I said this to you recently, Reta. It's something that Kamala Harris has been particularly adept at throughout her political career, which is that you ask her a question about a big issue, and she tells you how big the issue is, and you say, what are you going to do about this very important thing? And she says, I'm going to explain to you why it's a very important thing and why people like me think it is a very important thing. Their fear about actually coming down to any nitty gritty on policy is presumably because they don't have any policy, or the policy they would like to institute is one which they don't think the American electorate would like, and so they're going to spring it on them after the election when the electorate has graciously agreed to vote them into office.
Speaker 4: And Harris has been telling us bidics is working. She's been saying that for some time, so to now kind of switch it around and she's going to be the solution to the problems caused in part by Bidenomics. Yeah, it wouldn't be an easy, easy policy to sell. Now, we've also got at the moment, this vitriol, hyperbolic retric against Donald Trump. It has not stopped even really slowed down, despite two assassination attempts in as many months. Indeed, they're blaming Donald Trump for the attempts on his life. We've been playing clips of that all week on this show. It's curious given the left has long argued that words can be violence, and they've sought to blame their ideological opponents for acts of politically motivated violence, even protests or riots. Old enough to remember last month, Douglas, when the likes of Alistair camp Will wanted you arrested for riots in Britain.
Speaker 13: Look, I mean, it's an amazing thing. This Every side in politics can get overheated. It goes without saying everyone particular election season lobbs the biggest attacks they've got on their opponents, and this season is no different from any other to that extent. But the thing that is interesting and different is that we have now had two assassination attempts, not thwarted near the stage of assassination, but really serious plots, including a headshot to the president, and the Democrats and the Democrat media don't seem to have thought to tone it down a bit. That slightly amazes me, because I mean, when there is an attack on somebody of the political left, it should be axiomatic. It isn't always by any means, but it should be axiomatic that people on the right say, there's absolutely no justification for this. Now, look, some people on the right don't do that, and they laugh about things, and they laugh things off and so on. But in actual fact, I would like to think that if there had been two attempts on the life of Kamala Harris in the last few weeks, that you would not find what right wing media there is in America saying well, she brought.
Speaker 2: It on herself.
Speaker 13: I mean, that's a quite amazing thing we've seen in recent days in relation to Donald Trump, the left wing media in America actually saying well, yeah, here's another assassination attempt on him, but maybe he shouldn't use such hurty words. And I find that astonishing. I also find it astonishing that people can't understand that if you keep saying that somebody is hitler, it becomes pretty unviable to think that when somebody tries to kill the person you said was hitler, that you have to say, well, I think he's hitler, but I don't think people should kill him. I mean, you know, as you say, readers since we live in an era where people say that words have consequences, that words can be violence and much more. How about just sticking to the old idea that words are words and violence is violence. But there is a very important crossover point, which is incitement. And incitement laws are really pretty clear in the US. But if you start saying that your political opponent is going to take away every one of the rights of the electorate, that they're going to never go out of office, that they're going to be a dictator for life, that literally hitler and more. Then you probably have to take some responsibility for that. And you know this is a long way out from the election. Still, what will happen in the weeks to come? I dread to think.
Speaker 10: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: You almost feel like another attempt on Donald Trump's life is a matter of when, not if.
Speaker 14: And it's just a.
Speaker 3: Terrible state of affairs.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you about what's happening in Australia the UK. This war on free speech is intensifying. We have discussed the UK in the past, but here in Australia the government is introducing orwellyan misinformation and disinformation legislation.
Speaker 3: You've written a.
Speaker 4: Piece for the New York Post on these proposed laws that the Albanese government says is.
Speaker 3: All to us for our safety.
Speaker 4: It's for our own good, Douglas, Is that.
Speaker 3: How you see it?
Speaker 13: Why didn't they just set up the Committee of Public Safety like Robespiere and co. It's wonderful when they when they couatured in this language. The idea what I wrote was the idea that the Australian government, any more than the British government or the American government, should be the arbiter of what is true and what is false, is absolutely ridiculous to my mind. And the important point is it's not just that this particular Australian government can't do this, It's that no Australian government should do it. It's not that this particular democrat or labor administration in America or the UK shouldn't get into this train. It's that nobody could do it. There is nobody in the land, no committee of bureaucrats and apparatnics you could set up that would be able to legitimately decide rita what you and I should be able to read and know. And as I mentioned in that piece, I summoned up the memory of a real remember Dan Andrews.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, right now, get.
Speaker 13: I know it haunts us all still remember in COVID when Dan Andrews decided to claim that an Australian having a pint outside in the street or anywhere else, if they were going to drink their pint of beer, should make sure that they keep their mask on and drink their pint through their mask. Now that was only a couple of years ago, and Dan Andrews obviously had his own problem since then, perhaps brought about by trying to drink all of his drinks through a mask. Who knows. But the interesting thing is that that passed for completely acceptable disinformation and misinformation by a very serious high level official in Australia. The idea that other officials will decide what Australians should or should not be able to know after people like Dan Andrews perverted the nature of their office in that way, It's just laughable to me. We don't have to have long memories anymore to remember a recent occasion or set of occasions when people who thought they knew better than us told us things that turned out to be utter fibbs.
Speaker 4: Oh, Dan Andrews, The list with him is along the Victoria form of Victorian premier. I remember when he scolded Victorians for watching sunsets at the beach. Apparently that was a danger to themselves and to their neighbors watching sunsets. This madness is also happening in America to a lesser extent. But I've got a constitution that protects free speech. But still, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill that would outlaw memes and obvious AI satire videos on elections. This band was inspired by this amusing clip mock the Democrats.
Speaker 15: I had four years under the tutelage of the ultimate deep State puppet, a wonderful mentor, Joe Biden.
Speaker 10: Joe taught me rule number one carefully.
Speaker 14: Hydra toll as mummies, I mean, really, Douglas, are Californians so thick that they need to be protected from parody videos and funny memes?
Speaker 13: I was delighted to see that one meme online today had Gavin Newsome dressed as a clown. I suppose Gavin Newsom would be confused as to whether or not we actually think he did appear on stage dressed as a clown. But I think I trust the voters of California and America a bit more than that. It's pretty amazing, isn't it. I mean, Gavin Newsom would have a particular a strong impulse for trying to stop mocking memes and much more. That's because he's absolutely right for them. But once again you get into this thing of I wonder who would be just enough wise enough to decide what mockery was and was not allowed. Maybe memes about Donald Trump would be allowed in this system, Maybe memes about JD. Vance would be allowed in this system. But I suspect they would crack down double hard if the meme or the joke or the satire was about Gavin news And that's why you just can't give censorship tools to people like this. They would not be able to resist using them to their own advantage. And so you know, there is definitely a problem in the information age of false information being passed around. But my solution to that is that we the public have to be much wiser to that, and my experiences that most young people coming up are actually wiser to that. We have to get wiser to that because the alternative is some set of bureaucrats in Australia or America or somewhere else deciding what you and I are allowed to laugh about and what we're allowed to find funny. And I at any rate wouldn't want to live in such a system.
Speaker 4: No, and before you go, I have to get your thoughts on Hesba's humiliation. It appears to be some of Mossad's most creative work, and predictably it's been attacked by many so called progressives in the West who are calling the Pager plot and act of terrorism.
Speaker 3: How do you see this?
Speaker 4: I would have thought it was a very targeted attack to try to minimize casualties amongst noncombatants.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, whoever did it? And we should add I mean, it obviously looks like it was the Israelis, but I mean, Hezbla have quite a lot of enemies, not least in the region. They've managed to destroy Lebanon since the nineteen eighties, once really thriving country that Lebanon. The Lebanon has just suffered from this miseration and violence since, particularly since Hesbula has had the grip it now has. So they have a lot of enemies. But it looks like it was probably is that did it, and the people who claim this is terrorism, I mean, I would just say, you know, the definition of terrorism is a deliberate targeting of innocent civilians. This is exactly the opposite of that. This is the deliberate targeting of hesbal A terrorists in the most targeted, precise, and somewhat personal way imaginable.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 1: You know, the.
Speaker 13: People who the people who say that you know this is indiscriminate, seem not to have noticed that if you have a Hesbalar Paiger device or a hesbeal a walkie talkie on you, the chances are you may well be a member of HESBLA, and HESBLA is a designated terrorist organization and therefore you're just not innocent. So I suppose Hesbola will try to spin this with their useful idiots in the West, and these people are useful idiots at this point or just enemies of the West, because let's be frank about it, if you're the sort of person as the people sort of howling about this on social media and on some of the newspapers in the last couple of days have been doing, if you're one of those people howling about this, you can guarantee. They're the same people who are howling about any collateral injuries in any targeted strike, for instance in Gaza or southern Lebanon in the last year or in recent years. You can be guaranteed of that. And now they claim you also shouldn't do the most precise thing of all, which is making the pager devices of hes Blar operatives explode. Just these guys should just come out and say it, which is they want Israel to be destroyed. They want HESBLA and Hamaz to win. They're on the side of the jihadists. Why don't these people have the guts to come out and say it, because Israel can do nothing, nothing from the including the most targeted operation, without these people saying that Israel shouldn't have done it. These people who are making these complaints in the last few days are people who want Israel to lose. That's fine, that's their view. I want Israel to win. These people want HESBLA to thrive. I don't. I want to see them gone. I want to see them stop making misery in Israel and making misery and Lebanon. But you know, there it is. It's a very clear divide and just remember, of course, the munition is that hes bolar uses are far from precise, and when they throw hundreds and hundreds of rockets, unguided missiles and others into Israeli territory, it has consequences like killing a dozen Israeli Drew's children whilst they're playing football. So I take the Israeli targeted strikes on actual hez Blard terrorists over hes Bala killing innocent children playing football any day. And if other people can't see that distinction, they probably can't see anything.
Speaker 3: Rita Douglas Murray, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 13: To save me pleasure as always still to come.
Speaker 3: Lefties losing it?
Speaker 4: And Donald Trump was a panelist on Gutfeld and he was cracking jokes even about his latest brush with death.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Now it's time for lefties losing it. And let's hear from a lefty explaining why they believe conservatives are weird.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to hear this.
Speaker 5: What is something weird about conservatives?
Speaker 6: There is a almost a cultesh vibe. I feel the way they operate within themselves. They refuse to listen to outside people. You know, they're refusing to learn. Essentially, I think that is a large part of it.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 4: Yep, they're there, folks calling you weird for believing in biological reality, borders law and order.
Speaker 3: Let's go to New York.
Speaker 4: Now we're dyeing your armpit hair pink is now an expression of gender identity.
Speaker 3: Confused, watch this?
Speaker 4: Have you ever gone to us alant to die your arbit and ibrow here? Well, if you have it, now's your chance.
Speaker 16: This part Abillity is hosting a complimentary that means free hair affirmation station at Happy Place Studio in New York City where you can get your body hair styled and died.
Speaker 17: For me, expressing myself through my hair is such an important part of feeling confident in my appearance as a queer person.
Speaker 16: Not only does dyeing my hair make me feel empowered, it helps affirm my gender identity too.
Speaker 4: Dying our hair together has always been a body experience, and having this opportunity at a salon instead of at home has just been really exciting and fun. You know, the Democrats must be getting desperate because they're sending celebrities to door knock and hug constituents in the Swing States. Here is Hanoi Jane Fonda d'Or knocking in Michigan.
Speaker 1: It's never done this for a president.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: I've done it first.
Speaker 9: I had an ex husband who came from Royal Michigan.
Speaker 13: I've done it for him.
Speaker 10: Uh huh.
Speaker 9: But I've never done it for a president.
Speaker 1: But this is most important.
Speaker 10: Oh definitely have to have to have to get them elected.
Speaker 4: Talking about Kouki's celebs, remember when Howard Stern was edgy and cool.
Speaker 3: Me neither. I'm not a hundred. Stern is only getting worse.
Speaker 4: Listen to this bile filled rant about Trump supporters.
Speaker 9: Hate the game. I hate the people who vote for him. I think they're stupid. I do. I'll be honest with you. I have no respect for you.
Speaker 4: Now to one of the democrats biggest celebrity backers, Puff Daddy P Diddy showing court holmbs. He has many names and is now facing many serious charges. But it wasn't long ago that P Diddy was endorsing Democrats, raising money for them, and running vote campaigns. He was so prolific and effective that Jimmy Kimmel wanted.
Speaker 3: Him to run for president. Remember this, maybe.
Speaker 9: You could be president. Do you ever think about anything like that? No about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wouldn't do a better job.
Speaker 17: But I think you know what I would if you agreed to run for president, I would be happy to be your running meet.
Speaker 10: Let's put it that way all right.
Speaker 4: Now to CBS, where a reporter had this triggering news for lefties about the battleground state of Nevada. It seems nowadays Nevada is Mecca country.
Speaker 1: But what was really incredible is in every single restaurant, the people willing to talk to us.
Speaker 3: We could only find one.
Speaker 5: Hair supporter in every restaurant, and we left no stone unturned.
Speaker 10: I approached every single person.
Speaker 4: Now, every now and then CNN allow a loan figure from the center right to appear on one of their panels to be typically bashed by lefties. But here Scott Jennings manages to extract from the CNN crew that they know the blood bath lie is a lie, but they allowed to be aired daily without correction or context.
Speaker 5: It is said by every Democrat working for or around her campaign every day on this network and every other one. The blood back thing is stated every single day. Okay, let me put my point in thereat eliminate constitutional What do you say there?
Speaker 10: This act.
Speaker 15: You're referring to Trump's use of the word blood bath when he was two was he talking about I'm going to explain it to people because they think there's confusion about this use of the word blood bath. When he was talking about, you know, vehicle manufacturing jobs in the United States, Vice President Harris improperly and unfairly mischaracterized that as him saying there would be a blood bath if he were elected. However, she did not say that if Trump were elected there would be a blood bath.
Speaker 10: She did not.
Speaker 5: I know you have interviewed and had people out here and have watched the same coverage I have. The blood bath garbage is and it is a pillar of the Democratic campaign against Trump as his dictator, as is eliminate the US Constitution.
Speaker 4: And here is Don lemon on sin and spearing a bunch of lies on hyperbole, including the aforementioned bloodbath lie. This is all to show that the assassination attempts against Trump, ah Well, his own fault, good.
Speaker 7: Jill, crooked Hillary, crooked Kamala, comrade Kamala, deranged Jack Smith, bird brain, Nikki Haley, blood bath, that he's not elected, there won't be another election. If he's not elected, bringing drugs that bring in crime, the rapists, poisoning the blood of our country, destroying the blood of our country, which was something that was Hitlers, communist, Marxist.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump was today a panelist on Gutfeld, a top rating late night show on Fox News, and he was in great form, even joking about the latest attempt on his life.
Speaker 9: I always said, GoF is a very dangerous game.
Speaker 13: If Dan told you.
Speaker 18: That the shooter was there, would you have tried to take him out with your three wood?
Speaker 9: I think so, Yeah, thanks, if I knew.
Speaker 19: Actually, the Secret Service did a great job. They saw the barrel of a gun, big gun. Yeah, and it came out through bushes, and how many people would see that?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 19: He really was very exceptional.
Speaker 4: And he spoke about how incredibly lucky he has been in both these assassination attempts, or perhaps it's something more than luck.
Speaker 19: Fortunately so far I've been very lucky, or something is greater than all of us.
Speaker 18: Ooh, it is something is up.
Speaker 19: There, someone who's up there, maybe watching.
Speaker 9: Over so I think he's voting for you.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 18: I always thought the most dangerous job was feeding the view.
Speaker 13: But you bring up God.
Speaker 18: You bring up God and you've almost been killed twice, do you think more about your own mortality and what happens after.
Speaker 10: You go move on?
Speaker 19: Yeah, not about mortality, but I do think more about God, because Okay, Butler was really the greatest of all. If I'm not looking over there, and I mean a full turn exactly ninety degrees, I wouldn't be here right now, and your ratings would be a little bit lower.
Speaker 9: Perhaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now let's.
Speaker 4: Bring in Sky News contributor Kosher, Gaeta Kosher. That was quite the performance from the former president.
Speaker 17: Indeed, he really was in great form, a little bit of humor, very relaxed humility in terms of talking about divine providence. If that was at play over here, and it just goes to show again President really has a lot of range. I think that's to read it about him where he can go from a late night comedy format like this to long form podcasts with younger gen ze talent, to his short form tweets that he's famous or infamous for, to know everything else in between, and that is a very important asset in this noisy media landscape that we live in. Coupled with the fact that means re media is such a gatekeeper for him. He really has a way of getting his message, in his personality through and that's why he is where he is.
Speaker 4: I do wonder whether he's going to come back to X completely. He's got just tens of millions of followers there. He's persisting with truth, which I know is a business that's now enormous, multimillion dollar business.
Speaker 3: But the audience is on X.
Speaker 4: And I want to as we get closer to the election, whether he's going to be more prolific on that site.
Speaker 3: And now, Robert F.
Speaker 4: Kennedy Junior has released a new campaign ad outlining his plans to work alongside Trump on tackling America's broken food and pharmaceutical system. He's just a little bit of the ad.
Speaker 1: Thousand and four. Robert F. Kennedy Junior was the darling of liberals and the Democratic Party establishment, an environmentalist unafraid to sue the biggest and most powerful polluters in America. But then the Democrats began to abandon the ideals he believed in, like peace, freedom of speech, honest government in the working class. The rank and file Democrats didn't realize it at first, but over the years, the DNC became the tool of big money, the war machine, and the very corporations Kennedy had battled his entire career kosher.
Speaker 4: How do you see the RFK junior endorsement. Trump is saying both RFK and Tulsi Gabbard, who's another former Democrat, really step up their advocacy for him. They're doing speeches, they're doing interviews, they're doing ads. Is it of any value now that Kamala is the candidate?
Speaker 10: I think so.
Speaker 17: I think one is in terms of message, just having former democrats', very prominent democrats endorse him, along with Silicon Valley folks and hedge fund guys and rappers and Latino music stars and data po poxifizers, yes, all of.
Speaker 10: Them coming out.
Speaker 17: It just makes him more palatable and more acceptable, I think as a brand than he was four and certainly eight years ago. In Rfk's case in particular, there is a mathematical consequence to it that one to two points of his support that he actually was able to consolidate when he was running.
Speaker 10: Telling them to vote is another thing.
Speaker 17: And then also I think in his case is broadening the message more around all this health and childhood health and everything else, which will make Trump, I think, more palatable to those suburban moms that he's always struggled with, because they do a lot of them do trust rfk's track record on this, and I think that does carry weight. Well.
Speaker 4: We've also got prominent former Republicans or some people will call them rhinos Republicans in name only, backing Harris. I would argue that actually doesn't hurt Trump too much because they're precisely the figures that that Republican base well borderline loads these days. I mean, that's why we have a Trump because those characters really did undermine trust amongst their voter base. But couldn't that hurt Trump? To have the likes of Romney and trying to think who else from.
Speaker 3: The Chee, the Chinese.
Speaker 10: The mckain's son, I think came out.
Speaker 17: I think you're right that by now, by twenty twenty four not so much, because it's just crystallizing this whole The shape of the two parties is changing, and it's about populism versus the establishment, and those guys really personify establishment, and I think to your point, it just crystallizes how Trump has remade the Republican Party in his image, and I think that just further further's that message, and it's not going to get too many Democrats to vote for Khamla, I think.
Speaker 4: And Telsa Gabbart is on this message a lot too. That the Democrat party she joined that she wanted to run full president for is very different to what it is now, and it's really departed a lot of those values that had a joining them in the first place. Now this is a turn up for the books. The Teamsters Union, which has endorsed every Democrat candidate well for at least a couple of decades, now, decided not to endorse Kamala Harris. They won't be endorsing anyone this year because their members are backing Trump. Indeed, three in five of the members are supporting Trump. Here's how Donald Trump reacted to the announcement.
Speaker 19: Democrats automatically have the Teamsters. They took a voter, and I guess I was at sixty percent or more.
Speaker 2: And that's a great honor.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's really I've had.
Speaker 19: A lot of teamsters work for me, a lot of the concrete trucks, and you've built all these buildings, and you see in New York City, the teamsters, exclusively teamsters, I have to say, and they've done a great job.
Speaker 2: But the vote of the Teamsters themselves.
Speaker 19: Was very high for me and the leadership Sean O'Brien and the group, who are great people. They said we and endorsed the Democrats. So I think this is the first time in many decades that they haven't endorsed Democrats.
Speaker 3: Kosha.
Speaker 4: Last time, around one in three of the Teamsters voted for.
Speaker 3: Trump over Biden.
Speaker 4: To see that figure and out go to three and five, it's quite a dramatic improvement for him.
Speaker 3: Why do you think is behind that.
Speaker 17: Huge I think it's a continuation of what Trump put his finger on when he first ran in twenty fifteen twenty sixteen, about the forgotten man and women and the working class, which the membership of these unions and these teamsters represent, and so he already I think, got more support from them than the traditional Republican candidates. So we just spoke about and with each election he just further solidified that and that contrast between the two parties and that reshaping that we just discussed is becoming so abundantly clear to everybody that I think the working class, the blue Dog Democrats, the Reagan Democrats, all those guys are coming over coming over to the side, and the Democrat Party is losing them and just really isn't any longer the party of the working class as it used to be.
Speaker 4: It isn't, but it is the party of the affluent, highly educated. There has been this switch, and is that going to be enough? Because you're seeing this current tactic where they're not being very forthcoming with policy ideas, They're doing all sorts of backflips, but it seems to be working for them so far that a honeymoon period that began with Harris is still underway.
Speaker 17: The fact that the selection is so close and will continue to be so close despite that, is so revealing and so shocking. Even though we shouldn't be shocked at this point that you can run, it really will be a case where the candidate could be switched out sixty days before the election. You run, you don't do any media or any policy prescriptions are never described. And still even if she loses, it's going to be by a reason then margin, which is quite telling.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and part of the reason for that is the overwhelmingly positive media she's receiving and the overwhelmingly negative meat Trump is receiving. Conservative watchdog group Media Research Center has found that despite a second attempt on Donald Trump's life, the bulk of the mainstream media in the US has not lowered the temperature in its anti Trump coverage. In the first seventy two hours after the second assassination attempt, ninety five percent of the coverage on ABC, CBS, NBC.
Speaker 3: Was negative for Trump.
Speaker 4: That's quite remarkable, Koshark, because this is such an astonishing event to occur, to have an attempt on a candidate's life, a former president, to have it happened twice in two months, and yet still no sympathy. Know, Okay, well maybe we should stop calling him a threat to democracy.
Speaker 3: None of that is just doubling down.
Speaker 10: So shameful.
Speaker 17: The last time this happened was forty years ago. For Ronald Reagan, there's not been an attempt. So it's a big deal to have not worn but two attempts, as you said, in five weeks. And it really is shameful that they haven't done that. And I think you know the reason is when you demonize somebody so much as they have, the logical endpoint of that is you're going to normalize any and every critique and active opposition against that person, including an attempted assassination and taking their life.
Speaker 10: So it started with the rhetoric being.
Speaker 17: Investigated, being impeached, the lawfair being indicted, and then this is just the natural progression of that, where it's now normalized to either brush things under the rug that could be helpful to Trump or just.
Speaker 10: Continue to put it in the context.
Speaker 17: Well, if somebody really is the American incarnation of Hitler, then I guess they deserve this.
Speaker 3: That's the subtext.
Speaker 4: And you just hate to think what would happen to the country if an assassination attempt is successful.
Speaker 3: And he has been so.
Speaker 4: Astonishingly lucky both these times, the first time that last millisecond shift in his head to look at a graph that saved his life, and this time around to have a secret Service agent who in a golf course with all the trees and bushes, managed to spot the.
Speaker 10: Rifle looking through.
Speaker 4: It's almost miraculous, really.
Speaker 17: And that issue of the perimeter not being properly scanned and safeguarded is obviously picking up heat. But you know, how many times can someone be lucky? So he should be getting presidential level security right now, or having his own plus security.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's no person in the country right now, and there's no one in America who's in greater danger than Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: They've painted him.
Speaker 4: As a new age Hitler, a threat to democracy for eight years now, and there's enough nutbags out there who are got it into their heads that they're going to save the Republic from Trump. Koshugata, thank you so much for your time this evening pleasure. After the break, the man behind the groundbreaking research into institutional anti Semitism at the BBE will join me.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. Now.
Speaker 4: We've previously discussed the research led by British lawyer Trevor Assison, which found that the BBC breached its own editorial guidelines for news coverage more than fifteen hundred times during the height of the Israel her mass war. Israel was associated with genocide fourteen times more than her Maas who carried out the mass terrorist attacks against Israelis. On October seven, the BBC's Arabic channel was found to be one of the most biased of all global media outlets against Israel, with eleven instances in which their coverage featured reporters who publicly supported her mass joining me now is senior partner at the Assison Law Offices, Trevor Assisson.
Speaker 3: Trevor is the BBC institutionally and semitic?
Speaker 4: And what is behind these breaches of editorial guidelines.
Speaker 2: I think what's really behind these breaches, and they're systemic breaches, is a total management failure to control the journalists at the BBC. So I've not suggested that there's anti semitism. I deliberately avoided doing that because it's not my concern to look at the motives behind individuals or the organization. What I've looked at is systemic breaches of the BBC's own guidelines to be impartial. And the reason behind it really is that the BBC itself, although it has a deal with the British people, it will receive four billion pounds a year in return for which it promises to give impartial news, but they have absolutely no management controls at all in place to check whether or not they actually do it. I think think of the fundamental problem behind what's going on.
Speaker 4: Well, these editorial guideline breaches by the BBC included all sorts of areas accuracy and partiality, editorial values, public interests. You mentioned that they're publicly funded. Our own public, if publicly funded broadcaster, the ABC here in Australia, has a similar worldview to the BBC in your experience, are taxpayer funded broadcasters more likely to indulge in this sort of unrelentingly biased coverage against Israel.
Speaker 2: I think that public sector broadcasters are as likely as any other news outlets to be captured by a particular viewpoint. The people within the senior management will tend to hire people who they think to be right thinking, who think like them, and those people will tend to be high and do and be promoted. It's very difficult for a public sector broadcaster to be impartial, or for any broadcaster to be impartial, unless it has very careful, proper management systems in place. The BBC absolutely doesn't. I've been approached by Australians concerned with the Australian public sector broadcaster, and I believe that there are serious problems there as well. I think what's really at stake is that journalists, some journalists who clearly have very very negative views, should not be just allowed to They should be sent to something more harmless like Gardener's question time where they can do less harm. They shouldn't be reporting on something where they are clearly using the platform to express their own personal views and the guidelines say we will not express our journalist's personal views. Well, that's a myth. It's been exploded by my report and that kind of breach. Another type of absolutely clear breach is that Hamas is a dictatorship that controls the reporting that comes out of Garza Strip and the BBC specifically states that whenever they're reporting from somewhere with reporting restrictions, they'll tell the audience. They never tell the audience that they allow these people to report as though what they're telling us the truth, which it clearly isn't, and they know the BBC knows that isn't the truth. They've got an obligation to say so they fail.
Speaker 4: Now, your report does illustrate that the lines between opinion and impartial, biased news reporting have been completely blurred.
Speaker 3: How is that fixed?
Speaker 4: Because this is an issue that goes beyond the BBC. You've got so many news reporters these days who think they're in the opinion game and they want to state their opinion, and there's I think a diminishing it from the public in media.
Speaker 2: Because of that, the response to my report, which I think may be the most in depth analysis of any of the BBC's output that's ever been done. We looked at nine million words and it's worth saying that the BBC criticized the report for its methodology without before they'd read it. The methodology is normal standard litigation type analysis which I've been doing in my entire career, and in parallel with that, an entirely new, cutting edge approach by data scientists led by a data scientist expert in the UK but mainly Israeli's from Israeli universities, and that supported the completely standard, old style litigation approach. So the BBC NIEJA reaction attacking the report on methodology, what they're actually facing. Instead of one methodology, they're separating, facing two separate methodologies, dealing in real depth, as I said, over searching for over nine million words of product, and the net result is unremitting bias. Whether it can be resolved, I think is a question for BBC management. They've got to control their journalists and at the moment they're just not getting a grip at all. They're just totally out of control.
Speaker 4: Now, the BBC is hugely influential in world media. They have viewers listeners across television, radio, social media streaming, They've got global news outlets. They claim to be the most trusted news brand in the UK. You said they've disputed the methodology you've used in your report. Beyond that, have they had a response to your damning findings? Are they at least attempting to do better in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, one of my proposals was that they should have a thematic review of their Middle East reporting. Now three days after I sent them the report, they announced that they were conducting a thematic review of their Middle East reporting. So it's clearly bothered them that the report's arrived. And I think the report they realize has totally destroyed what trust there may still have been in the minds of many people that the BBC is doing its job properly. The question is whether or not the BBC will actually read it with an open mind, and that remains to be seen. If not, I have a fear that this matter may have to appear before an English judge and an English child's will they understand what impartiality means? Even if the BBC don't, and I think that they will find the BBC is in absolutely hopeless breach time and time again of its own rules.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's not just the BBC. I would argue your own ABC breaches its charter daily. It would be wonderful if you could run a review of their work and only said Australians have already been in contact with you requesting just that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for your time this evening.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: That's it from May. I'll see you tomorrow night at nine point thirty four.
Speaker 4: Lefty's losing It, Don't go anywhere. Newsnight is up next