Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gaddiicol Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any first nations, Aboriginal and Torres Strait island of people joining.
Speaker 2: Us today, always was, always will be Aboriginal land. Close friends, close friends, welcome class fans. That's what you said.
Speaker 3: Do you want to I want to do jingle jingles?
Speaker 2: Well, do a fucking jingle.
Speaker 1: Then we've got to know because I want it to be fully like with a song and a tune and everything, and we have to come up with lyrics. But for day today, it can just be closed friends, close friends.
Speaker 2: You and I have a second way. That's Courtney fucking Act out there. Oh my god, Courtney Act is walking past, being and over. I love saying, you know, celebs walk past.
Speaker 1: Let's get you can get on O go get open the door down and ask if you want to.
Speaker 3: Come on Courtney a.
Speaker 2: Ah, Courtney Actor, Welcome to high scrollers, close friends, close friends episode.
Speaker 4: By the way, friend, Yes, does that mean that like like the green circle?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we can talk about anything on this poet. It doesn't matter and we can't be canceled for anything that we say.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you might say that, but is it true.
Speaker 4: Honestly, so far we have been canceled.
Speaker 2: We're over you in so I think you can't cancel the uncancellable.
Speaker 4: That's my goal in life, to be uncounceled, cancellable, not unconcelable, to be uncancelled counselable. And I think about I don't know why this is the person that comes to mind, but Ricky Gervais is someone who is uncancellable, even if he does or doesn't deserve to be canceled. But like there's those people who at a certain level of economic stability, and I think that's where it comes in, where like you can just say whatever you want and not behold be beholden to like or human rights or anything. And I do want to be behold in the human rights, but I'd love to be above like I think i'd like to be independently wealthy. I think that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't we all girl? I think well, today will be a good soundboard, good platform for you to test the uncancellable waters because I feel like there's any reddict cancer. Look. I used to be a big fan of Brenda Call Me and I, which for everyone listening was Courtney's podcast that she had with her friend Vanity, and you.
Speaker 3: Can still listen to Yes right Now seasons.
Speaker 2: Wherever you get your podcasts. It was actually like, I don't listen to podcasts, and I made time for your podcast because it was very insightful. I loved lavender linguistic Yes, and I also loved having a finger through the glossies, which I have now brought into my life and still say all the time, like if I'm at the hairdresser, I'll go, you know, do you need it? When they say do you need anything? I go, nahjar go and to sit here and have a finger through the glossies. So can that's gone over my head right well, I'll let you.
Speaker 4: Fingering through the glossies was when you went to get a haircut, you would get like your Woman's Day or your Woman's Weekly. Ironically, in Australia, Woman's Day comes out weekly and Women's Weekly comes out monthly, but they probably couldn't call it Women's monthly. Also, the Liberal Party is conservative. Mardi Gras is on a Saturday and it translates to fat Tuesday. Like it's just what it's bunkers down here in Australia. But yeah, fingering through the glossies was like getting your Woman's Day, your woman's weekly, and like having a finger.
Speaker 3: Through the glossy magazines.
Speaker 4: And having a having a catch up each week after you've read the glossies and you want to talk about you know, Angelina, Joelie or Brad Pitt's face.
Speaker 1: Miss that when you go to the hairdressers and all the magazines there, remember you would even they would have like the hairdressing magazine. You could go through and see all the different hairstyles and cuts and then you pick from that.
Speaker 3: And then you'd be convinced. You're like, yeah, I want to do this.
Speaker 1: I want to do this, angled Bob, and then coming.
Speaker 3: Out exactly the same hairdo as you had when you went in. Bring it back, I say, did you know.
Speaker 4: I went This is sorry a tangent, but I was wandering through Merrickville the other day. I had like an hour to kill and I just went wondering and I stumbled across the Merrickville Public Library and it is like it's like a like a we work or like some.
Speaker 3: Sort of like epic. I couldn't.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm just like too detached from reality, but I couldn't quite grasp. But this giant, glamorous building which was packed with people. It was like a real hub and a vibe. There's like a cafe. It's all free.
Speaker 3: You can go in. They even have magazines. They even glossies.
Speaker 4: They even have Women's Weekly that you can go in and just like read like Vogue UK, like all of these magazines and you just go in and you.
Speaker 3: Read them all for free. And I know that's what public libraries are. They are. It just blows my mind.
Speaker 4: I'm like, why would you ever go to a bookshop?
Speaker 1: I'm surprised we're not getting charge to go to libraries now, yeah, I mean we paid throughout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they run by the government, though how have they.
Speaker 1: Not figured out some way to charge us, like you know, we get charge for everything else.
Speaker 3: But that's the beauty of them, that's the point.
Speaker 4: They are a public service, community centers and public libraries.
Speaker 2: But have you surely you've been to the Green Square one? No, that'd be my favorite.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I need to do a public library tour.
Speaker 2: Around and has like this big skylight and like gardens everywhere, and it's like so tranquil and like just it's an experience.
Speaker 4: I can get on the metro go to Green Square, just the metric, go to Green Square.
Speaker 3: I feel like it does.
Speaker 1: That's a good series right there on tiktop, touring around libraries and reviewing them and rating them.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I can't think of her name. And she does like, come with me as I take a shit in yeh says but I feel like, come with me as I go to a public library isn't quite like come with me as I take a shit in the public library, not in the toilet.
Speaker 3: Now, audiot, she does, you've got a timey bow movements.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'd have to line that up perfectly.
Speaker 2: I feel like, though social media is a place where you could definitely give that a go, and you might be surprised at how well it takes off.
Speaker 4: Because I did film some content while I was there. I was like this, people need to know about this.
Speaker 3: I meanwhile, it's full. Yeah, everyone knows. I'm the last.
Speaker 2: How camp? Well, I am someone who's speaking of love and linguistics. You just uses the word camp all the time, which was a struggle for our predominantly straight audience to get used to and Brittany. Brittany had no idea what camp meant. Our audience is always like stopped trying to make camp happen.
Speaker 3: That's camp.
Speaker 2: That's camp, right, camp? And what would you say, is the opposite of camp, by the way, mock mock? So is that actual?
Speaker 3: Like, is that any actual tea to say? Is it mock or is it camp?
Speaker 4: Now, my definition of camp weirdly comes from Simpsons. When I want to say, John Waters was the voice of a character on The Simpsons and he opens up a shop for left handed people, I think.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, the left um Leatorium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not to be confused with the Succatorium, that's a very different place.
Speaker 3: But he defined camp as the.
Speaker 4: Tragically ludicrous, the ludicrously tragic, And so I read and then I read Susan Sontag's Notes on Camp, which wasn't really very camp.
Speaker 3: It was quite long.
Speaker 4: And I also went to the Camp exhibition at the met which was sort of like a few years ago, they had a whole exhibition on it, and camp is just like that. It's I think one of the things about camp is that it's like undefinable in a way, but sort of like things that are camp are sort of making a comment on society, but there's often like a twist that's relevant to like a niche of the community and often comes from a queer sensibility. Like one of the examples was these these old carved statues of like men, like symbols of masculinity that they were sort of in these like lilting poses with like a bit of a limp wrist or a bit of a like a beveled leg, And so there's this idea that the statue is about, Like it's carved from stone, it's hard, it's marble, it's like a symbol of masculinity.
Speaker 3: But then it's got like little beveled leg. That's camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is calv Yeah. I like to just to tell the audience that it just means it's just a word to describe something that's fabulous, a bit gay, bit fun, a bit fresh, you know, instead of it's similar to stunning, gorgeous, whatever, it's like, it's camp.
Speaker 3: I think the kids are calling it zesty.
Speaker 2: Zesty, yes, zesty, but I think zesty is more of an insult to.
Speaker 4: Produce a Hanna, because I know she's down with kids. She knows all the lingo. I just know it because I saw I saw an instagram of a TikTok from two weeks ago that was explaining the words that the kids are using and that are banned. But wait, let's make zesty not an reclaimer. Let's reclaim zesty from two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: I think, out of all the insults you could, you know, throw at a queer person, though, zesty is probably the nicest one.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, she's a bit zesty.
Speaker 2: She's a bit zesty. Oh, I love that. Let's reclaim the word.
Speaker 3: I like to say, she's got a bit of sugar in her shoes. That one.
Speaker 2: Brittany still like no clue what's going on? So I thought we will play a game with Brittany today.
Speaker 3: Okay, is this the game?
Speaker 2: This is the game which I have called it camp or NAFF because that is my opposite.
Speaker 3: That's good. Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 2: Something the camp or NAF. And BRIT's got a list of things that she's gonna quiz us on whether they are camp or whether they are NAF, and will be the judge. Okay, just to let her into the the queer experience a little deeper today. Also, she has no idea what these are.
Speaker 3: I know these, I'm reading them.
Speaker 2: No, as in, you haven't. Like our producer and I created this listing it for the first time. I don't know what's on this list either, so it's just as much of a surprise.
Speaker 4: I just quickly asked our robot overlords for a definition of camp. Camp is a style and sensibility that reveals in the exaggerated, theatrical, and often the absurd. It's a mode of expression that embraces artifice, irony, and over the top aesthetics, often with a playful or humorous edge.
Speaker 3: There you go. I feel like we know less about camp, and.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just I think that explanation of camp was quite knaf. Actually, I think it was too.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's play camp or knaf. Okay, the first one is Brat summer Camp.
Speaker 4: It's camp, but there's like a timeline, right, Like I think depending on where you are on the timeline, it could be or who you are, it could be naff okay, but it is camp for I don't know, You're like no one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well, I was just thinking because we've got this new Brat album coming soon again part two or even part three, because there's already been a second Is it like a remix album. It's a remix album and it's just in time for Australian summer.
Speaker 1: Summer is our winter and we didn't need to fully get that.
Speaker 4: Snaff is like has because I've been away for the last three months in the Northern Hemisphere having a brat summer. But how Australian's all been here like summer wine is that camp?
Speaker 2: So we've been in the clubs having all the brat parties, but it has been fucking freezing, which, by the way, side, not I did see at Arc on the weekend, but we didn't. I didn't actually say hello.
Speaker 3: Was I like macking off with a guy for like an hour?
Speaker 2: No, you were at the bar and this guy was chewing your fucking ear off, and I was like, I'm not going to go sack below because she's clearly preoccupied, like your face was giving please leave me alone. But I just remember like having this moment at the bar at Arc on the weekend and I saw you and I just looked across and then I looked back at the bartender while she was making my drink and I thought, fucking hell, the fact we've both got to be at no Over on Monday morning and she's going to be in full drag. I was like, it's not fucking real.
Speaker 3: But I was.
Speaker 4: It a brat summer party before that. Oh nice, and this is the first time I've ever done this. My friend like walked downstairs and they were like, oh, sorry, it's sold out.
Speaker 3: It's a ticket event.
Speaker 4: We're having like a Brat slash Charlie XCX part. Oh sorry, Bratt slash Chapel Roone party. And then everybody turned around and started to exit, and I was like, hang on, guys, I'm not in drag. I literally have problems. I've never done this, but I walked up to the door lady and I went, Hi, I'm Courtney Act.
Speaker 3: And she was like, oh god, yes you are.
Speaker 4: And I know that you're sold out, but I was just wondering if my friends and I could come in, and she was like, oh, yeah, yeah, yes, of course. How many are you and I was like seven. She's like, oh, yes, you'll have to pay, and I'm like, yeah, that's fine. But I was just like, hello, I'm Courtney Act, like you're Beyonce.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Brittany's done that and got herself into a party with Vince Faum.
Speaker 3: I don't know who I did do it like that? You said hello, I'm Brittany, and they will say it like that.
Speaker 2: I said it like and went look at my followers, So I didn't.
Speaker 1: I said it in passing as we were leaving, and then he was like what did you just say? And then he's like, showed me your Instagram and then I was like okay, and then it's like, okay, you can come in perfect, great story met Vince worn Okay, next one, We've got vodka Red.
Speaker 3: Bull Well hang on camp or naf oh? I don't know. This is such a hard game for me personally.
Speaker 2: You're being so safe, I know, just say it with your whole chest. Bats.
Speaker 3: I don't. I know.
Speaker 4: Actually I keep looking at you being like, what's the right answer I'm giving NA.
Speaker 3: Personally, I think it's naf.
Speaker 1: I think so too, to be honest, because I think back to when I would go out when I was eighteen and nineteen and drink vodka Red Bulls all night. How did we do that?
Speaker 3: Why did we do that? We were young?
Speaker 4: We still had youth and life and zest us.
Speaker 1: And then you're having so many energy drinks at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like after me alcohol.
Speaker 4: You're still a line of like alt, I'm kidding, I'm leaning into your get cancers, vocal rebels.
Speaker 1: Nap yep, I agree, drinking cows milk uh.
Speaker 3: Naf Sorry that was a burpaner.
Speaker 2: Are you a vegan?
Speaker 3: I'm a vegetarian vegetarian, but I've never been a dairy queen. Yeah.
Speaker 4: When I was little, my dad wants told he said, I can't remember, like he's an atropath. So basically you go to an atropath, they do all of these tests, get all the specialized data, and they're like, you should stop drinking dairy. Like everybody universally gets that as a recommendation, I feel, and so I never drank dairy growing up. I was a soy boy, long before it was popular. And yeah, I just don't really. I just drink plant based milk.
Speaker 1: I see everyone now saying that all the plant based milks are like worse for us, and then people now are saying we need to go back to drinking normal milk.
Speaker 4: Well, I think when you when you do look at the science about like if you think about it, the cows eat soy to make their milk, so if you just cut out the middleman and drink the soy milk, you're still better off. But there are definitely problems with deforestation, like growing places to plant the soy, but I think, you know, those things being done ethically are the best thing. But ultimately, plant based milks.
Speaker 3: I only do the environment. Almond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Almond's a bit thin for me. And I had to drop stop drinking soy because my doctor said, that's why your tits are so big, because there's estrogen in a soy milk fat and because when I was younger, I lost a lot of weight but still had these really big tits. And my doctor was like, that's the fucking soy milk. Quit that. I was like, all right, we went to almond. But thank god oat exists. Now I love an oat milk.
Speaker 1: Oat milk with Marcho's really good. Okay, next one, we've got Taylor and Travis Knaf.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 2: Knaf.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm like because I like reading on Reddit and there's like a tailor and Travis on Reddit, there's got hundreds of thousands of people in it, and everyone just like is ripping their relationship to shreds. It's just really interesting to read other opinions on a celebrity couple in there.
Speaker 4: You know it is camp though, Donald Trump tweeting I hate Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: That's camp.
Speaker 2: Tweet just that I hate or he truth socialed it whatever because he because she came out in support of.
Speaker 4: Kamela, but I just like, I hate. He literally wrote it, I hate Taylor Swift, Like what a child? I know.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine if someone in Australia was doing that, like the person in charge of the country.
Speaker 2: What are they like?
Speaker 4: Jess Melboy comes out in support of and then the oppositions like I hate Jess Melboy and everyone like, you're an idiot.
Speaker 3: We would never like no one he would never.
Speaker 1: No one would never.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you want me to just pick one more?
Speaker 2: One more?
Speaker 3: Let's go Wicked the.
Speaker 4: Movie being in two parts. Look, I want to see it, and yes, I would have liked to have all been in one part. But that I think that today's youth need lessons in delayed gratification.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a powerful answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't say whether it was Camp or Nathma.
Speaker 2: No very political.
Speaker 3: It's pretty answer I'd like, I just want.
Speaker 2: It all same, but also I don't know if I could handle all of it at once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, like, I don't have a long attention span anymore because we just scroll so quickly, so like a really long movie.
Speaker 2: I'm always like, Oh, I do wonder though, how they're going to finish the first in preparation for the second, because if you think about the actual theater show, it finishing with defying gravity and then intermission. If they were to do the same thing in the movie, I think finishing with defining gravity, I guess you could fly often. Then that's the end, right, We only have to wait a year as well that filming at all at once. Yeah, it's already all done. Okay, so but it's literally one year apart. It's twenty first of November this year and then twenty first of November next year. Don't quite me on that anyway, I'm saying camp.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should be good to have to take a side.
Speaker 3: Camp.
Speaker 2: You do have to pick a side.
Speaker 4: Umm, I'm gonna say camp because it's absurd.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit gay to make us sway the whole year isn't it.
Speaker 4: I think what we're finding through this exercise is that quite often binary categorization is far too limited for the nuances and complexities of life.
Speaker 2: Put that on a fucking T shirt and sell it. Courtney Act, thank you so much for coming in, and thanks for letting me drag you in here pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thanks for dragging me in with us. I was just on my way to the dunnies. Now I've really got a piss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're better, You better go. Thank you for listening. Scrollers. We forget what we have to say. Next Tuesday, Yeah, sorry, Courtney, can you do the utro for it?
Speaker 3: You next Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, tote that cancel Yeah, that will get you canceled.