Speaker 1: And you know how I talk about Melbourne like I make friends with all my baristas.
Speaker 2: But we're here, they're Maybe it depends where you go.
Speaker 1: I need to expand she should go.
Speaker 3: Out to Seatown, Cambeltown, Becker's from. I was born there and I grew up there.
Speaker 2: Wait, you were born.
Speaker 3: There Hambletown and I grew up in Claymore until I was you.
Speaker 2: Grew up in Claymore, I didn't know the Maddy law Like yes.
Speaker 3: And then we moved to eager Veil Kerns.
Speaker 2: What the heck?
Speaker 3: My family still live in BOBOI.
Speaker 1: In anyway, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Where did you grow up in Campbeltown?
Speaker 2: No? I grew up in Lima, Lima.
Speaker 3: I lived in Minto and also like I remember Escot Park Public School because I used to steal the teacher's cookies.
Speaker 1: Welcome to first things First, I'm brookletting my pronouns as she and.
Speaker 3: Huh, I'm Maddy. Mil was my pronouns are hand him. And before we get started, we'd like to acknowledge the custodians of the land on which we're recording. And today for both of us we're in the studio, it's the gadigil. People of the urination don't get used to it. I am getting used to it, and you need to stay Okay, do you need a pass?
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: It's funny because this episode we have an incredible guest who was recently lived in Sydney and worked in Sydney, but has recently moved to Melbourne, so you more of a swapping places. Brooks meet to Sydney and the wonderful Becker Hatch from tell Us the postcode.
Speaker 2: Hello two F six.
Speaker 1: Best six is back home.
Speaker 3: Oh well, let's welcome the wonderful Becker Hatch.
Speaker 2: I'm good, thanks for having me today, Thanks for coming in.
Speaker 1: We were so excited. I mean, I feel like our paths have like cross but like not fully actually probably.
Speaker 2: Met yes podcast and like you just happened to be in Sydney and now I'm in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: I would have been there in studio and I'm sad and missing out, but it's actually so excited to have you here. Yeah. I think I last saw you perform. I think it was like one of the fashion shows in Melbourne and sligh You're wearing this fucking bomb ass outfit. Like I was like, I'm hoping she has that because I'm gonna borrow it. Like it was like these cargo kind of pants and like it was, Oh, your fashion d is insane.
Speaker 2: That was like my favorite show I think I've played in like a long time. I was like I really had to like channel this energy when I was coming out there. But yeah, that designer, her name is Curran, and she's like, yeah, she's the first nation designer. She's actually really young. I think she's like in her twenties, and she's really cool. She makes like all her clothes from like recycled fabrics. So when I was like talking to her about it, she's like, yeah, you know, like I'd be like driving out to this couch on the side of the road and I'd be like, oh, that's really cool, and I would like rip up all the fabric and like wash it and like it into this really crazy like these pieces that were really sick.
Speaker 3: So what council pick up.
Speaker 1: So sustainable? Like we should We've been doing it for years. Like I feel like that gets so lost totally. Yeah, and I'm so glad that it's being introduced into fashion and like mob get to like wear it and like showcase it because it's not just like do you feel like this also a lot of pressure to walk down a runway, perform seeing and also look good for exactly I'm my girl Trifector. Like I could not, we could never.
Speaker 3: I mean I did one runway like a couple of years ago, and I called my agent straight after and I was like never doing that again.
Speaker 1: And he killed it. No, he did say it.
Speaker 3: I literally caught it was like, great, thanks for the money, but I don't want to do this ever again. So tell us that moment. Obviously a favorite memory of yours in terms of performing. What was it about that energy that you know you channeled that made us so great?
Speaker 2: I was like channeling some like in a little gay boy energy.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was some choice of arm vibes. Like that's what I had to go into mentally. No, but like I don't know, I guess a lot of performers would probably like relate when I say this. It's like when you go out and you give your one hundred percent, like you're all and you're like giving so much energy and you see the people give back so much energy. It like gives you like an adrenaline rush, and it like, I don't know how to explain it, but it's like it's something so far away from like just being a normal person. It just feels like you're elevated, like you're somewhere else for like that kind of moment, and you create this like space where you're like I'm able to share and people are receiving this, and there's so much love and joy and like happiness. Like I don't know how else to explain it, but like, isn't.
Speaker 3: Hard to get there on every performance? Is it one of those things where it's like, yeah, you will find it in pockets of your career where you're feeling like everything has aligned. Yeah, it's not every day.
Speaker 2: No, it's not every day, Like especially man, if I could tell you the shows I've played some of it, Yeah, like giving one hundred percent and people were just staring at you like.
Speaker 1: This giving character building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, character building and those moments really teach you. I guess you kind of separate yourself and you're like, well, I why do I do music. I don't do music to just be like, oh for you guys to enjoy this. I do music for me and I do music for my mob, And you know it really makes you like come into this with like a different perspective. Or if they're not going to give me one hundred percent, I'm still gonna give a hundred percent. I'm still going to give my Also, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say, talking about your mom, who is your mob? And where did you come from? And I guess, like where did you come from? Where did you come from? That really sounded like real Ozzy, because it's.
Speaker 3: Where who's your mom? Where you from? You know where you come from? Is because I think like a lot of like white people, we'll say where do you come from, but we say where you're from?
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Let me do that again, So who's your mom? Where you're from? And then also I guess how you got into music.
Speaker 2: I'm from a place in southwest Sydney called the area well that's what it's known by. But I'm from Campbelltown, which as well I was born and raised.
Speaker 3: If you drive through.
Speaker 2: Literally if you don't really know much about Western Sydney, it's like a low like socio economic area. A lot of people, like their families have moved there from other countries, so it's like very like ethnic and like there's a lot of culture yeah, very multicultural, that's correct where and it is a really awesome place, Like there's so much culture there and it really like shaped me as a person. I'd say, so, my mob is Camilla Roy, my dad's Cammilla Roy, and my mom is someone. So she's from the Islands, and she's from this island called Savati and this village called salil Longa. So yeah, beautiful. Can you speak what's the summer moon? Someone? I can speak like swear words like like like I can say all the bad words, but I can't say that around my aunties and stuff.
Speaker 1: But I love like the summer and Maldi and Polynesian like culture. Like I just feel like there is some part of me that I feel like I like once in a past life for the part of yeah, like I don't know why, because when I was playing rugby with the girls and they're mostly like all Mauldi girls and some girls like their food and like their language, like I'd feel like a part of this so much.
Speaker 2: I feel like Islanders are like really similar to my like growing up, I kind of feel like my culture was like really similar on both sides. It was just like kind of a little bit different. But the values of like family and community were always like the same.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and the singing and dancing, yeah exactly, it's.
Speaker 3: Like this and family like that. I remember growing up in Claymore and there was a lot of like someone and Islander families who lived in Claymore and so you know, it was a real mix of like blackfellows and Islanders and it was like we were one in the same, you know, like our humor was the same, the whole, the whole family values were the same. I remember these two they were two small boys who lived down the road. They were about ten years older than me, but they just got their license, you know, and they used to take us around remember the NIST and skylines back in the day, like the pimped out rides and like we like they had the lights under their cars like lowered the NIST and scarlet and they used to just take us boys, like just for cruisers around Claymore. I thought that was like the best thing in the world.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, down.
Speaker 2: Formal in a skyline. I thought it was like the secret exactly.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I'm talking about. But let's keep talking about your music, because one a lot of Islanders can fucking sing, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, Like they got their blood.
Speaker 3: Voice from heaven or something. It's just like happy people. Everyone sounds like Stan Walker. Amazing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Literally, because when I went back to some more like about two weeks ago, I went to this karaoke and tell me why I was so scared to sing? And I'm a singer, and I'm like, right, why is everyone in here just like exactly sounding like stan Walker on some crazy like Beyonce like vocal runs and everything.
Speaker 3: You never go up against like a Pacific Islander or a Filipino.
Speaker 1: I love karaoke. Hey, yeah, I didn't know that. I just recently learned that.
Speaker 3: But you sort of broke you out into the scene back in twenty seventeen. You know, you won Triple Jay's Unearthed Artist. From that moment to now, like, what have been some of the highlights for you? I know you've ticked off a lot of things on the bucket list, but recently eighty thousand people in a stadium what, oh my god?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I feel like I've been I've been working and like chipping away for a long time. I feel like you've seen Maddie like You've been kind of like witness since like totally the early days like when we first met. But yeah, like I guess I didn't actually answer your question Brooke earlier about like how I got into music, But I started off with Triple Jianna. They like won this little competition and it's kind of just been like history since then. And like, I guess the most recent things that have happened now that have been like the craziest things is opening for one of my favorite artists, Mahalia, and then getting brought out by Coldplate, which is crazy to eighty thousand people, That's like probably the craziest thing, and I feel like that will still be like the craziest thing I've ever done. I just did my first ARIA performance like last week, which was amazing.
Speaker 3: Can I just say that you're bug on that stage, like absolute fire. Your voice is blended so beautifully, Like tell us about that moment when you're looking at into the audience, You're seeing everyone in the industry who sort of you know, look up to all love and respect. Are you having that sort of euphoric moment that you described earlier or are you shitting yourself.
Speaker 2: Literally a heart attack on stage? The whole like lead up to that. So I found out about that performance like the week before. Cyril's team basically reached out and was like, oh, yeah, like we're performing this. We'd love to have you and Budera, and I was like, of course, I'd love to come. And then when we got to rehearsals, like you know, Budera is not going to play with the vocals, and I'm like, damn, I need to step it up. I need to like get practicing, and then like you know, like we really went into it, and like going into like that kind of performance is so different. It's like just three minutes, just something so quick, and you practice so much for it, and then like you just in that space. I honestly felt like it was a blow. I walked off stage and I was like, oh, it's done. Like I just I don't know, Like I felt like I wasn't even there.
Speaker 3: I felt like you were really free up there. You might look like you're shitting yourself, but you were moving. It looked like you were like having a moment.
Speaker 1: So what do you mean they're playing with the vocals? Sorry, a silly question.
Speaker 2: He's just like fire, He's not going to mess around, he's going to come in and, like you, he's.
Speaker 3: Probably gonna be some massive roof that's going to fucking like tear off the roof, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember in La Yeah, Okay that makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm like not amuser getting with the lingo.
Speaker 3: I am like, I know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fuck yeah cold play?
Speaker 3: Cold play? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that the biggest crowd that you've ever played in front of?
Speaker 3: That's the stadium?
Speaker 1: That's fuck.
Speaker 3: She's like, no, I've done like one hundred and fifty before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I still feel like it hasn't even like happened. It's something I feel like it's going to take me a little bit of time to be like I'm going to look back at it and be like, ook, that's actually crazy. It definitely feels like, yeah, I don't know, very insane or like a dream right now. So I still feel like I'm processing it. But how that came about was basically I was getting ready for the I was in Sydney, so I was just like starting to do some fittings and stuff, and I was actually running late to a fitting and I had to drive to Woollongong, So I was like in the car. My mom was driving me while I was like doing emails and stuff, and I got this call from my team basically being like I don't even know how to tell you this, but basically Coldplay bring up an artist in every city and they really want to see your verse on this song. So they had a song called We Pray with Little Sims and Bernavoy. Yeah Little Sims kills it, but they get someone to like rewrite Little Sims verse in like their own way, and they were like, yeah, so I don't know how to take you this, but like they have this and the team really want to see your verse for it, but like we kind of need it like in the next thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: So I'm already late and my mom's driving. I start turning the track on. I'm like writing this song like in the car, freaking out. So yeah, we're sorting out this verse. I do the fitting, I get back in the car, I finish writing the rest of the verse. We pull up to my house, my mom gets out the car, and I put the camera down and I filmed the audition for that, which is oh so like and I'm like the kind of person that I hate filming, like put the camera down and talk to the come. It's just like I just find it for me personally, Like sometimes I feel awkward, like that's just for me personally. I just like I don't know what it is, but like you yeah, like I know what it is, but like when I do it, I'm like, oh my god, this is so awkward for me. But so I put it down. I like shoot this little interview kind of like audition thing, and I like sing the verse and send it over and then I'm like, Okay, well, like it's Friday, I'll just let the let it like do it's thing, and I'll find out on Monday. But I couldn't stop thinking about it. Like I just couldn't stop thinking about it. But I was like I really hate when I like put my hopes up high and like you know what I mean, I would rather just like put it out in the universe. And like I've kind of feel like with a lot of things, like being in the industry and like going for a lot of jobs and stuff. It's like I've become now the person that's like whatever energy I put out, like whatever's meant to be for me. Is for me, and like I will let it come to me, and like I won't be upset if it doesn't happen, like there's like a plan for me and like the universe, you know, will happen.
Speaker 3: I tracked exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I attracted. I just put out like just keep doing me and like keep putting out positive energy. So I just like let go of it, even though like inside I was like dying. Yeah. Then I got a call on Monday from my management and they're like, oh, Cold Place team wants to meet with us, so we'll just see how it goes. So I was like freaking out and then yeah, I got confirmed and they called me back and they were like, yeah, it's locked in for the two Sydney dates. So they actually.
Speaker 3: Both both like two nights, yeah, not just one. That is epic, Like it's almost like you get to do it and then do it again. Leave the moment.
Speaker 2: It was insane and like as soon as I got that call, I started bawling my eyes out. I was crying, like ugly crying. I faced Hi my mom, and my mom was crying and like, yeah, it was probably the most I've cried, and like I don't know, and I think for me, like it was a real like validating moment because like earlier this year, I was like I don't even know if I want to be doing music anymore, and like yeah, so like having like something like that happened was like the craziest thing for me.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, isn't that like that that's an amazing story. But then thinking that earlier this year you didn't feel like you were like wanting to do music, and then seeing the year that you've had, Like, isn't that just like one of those moments where it's like a fork in the road and it's like it depends on what path you take, and it's like there might be this really hard decision, but once you get past that challenge or that mindset, but all this success came, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So I really like those moments. I think it's those you know, and you said about you know, those little shows that you had and like you know, you weren't maybe getting the response that you would not you would hope for like doing your music. I think like all of those little bricks and pavements like move towards where you're going to go, and like these big moments and I feel like this is just the start for you, like in a sense, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I mean like at your agent and at your level in your career, You've already had Timberland recognize you, give you the thumbs up for your song, you know, and it was Timberland, right, Yeah, and then cole Play, the biggest band in the world collaborate with you. So like if that isn't some sort of like sign from the universe, but like, girl, you're on the right path. I don't know if the fuck is.
Speaker 1: Just be skipping along way, I'm gone. What is on your like manifestation list?
Speaker 2: I am really hoping that over the next year I get to go to Europe or the UK. I would like love to make dance music over there. There's a lot of people I want to work with. Like an absolute dream would be like to make a song with someone like Kitchenada. I feel like that would be like they my game over for me personally. But yeah, like I would love to go overseas and just like write music and like really like expand my horizons in a way. So I guess like that's a goal for me next.
Speaker 3: A lot of artists like Black fel artists in particular, I find that there needs to be a sacrifice that is made right, well, any artist, but we are so connected to family, we're so connected to community. To take that leap of faith to go international, not a lot of people do it because it's like starting from almost ground zero again, right, So it's like you're on your trajectory here and you're on your way up, and then to have like to go to go and start something again in a new climate, it's I don't know, that difficult, you know, but you see how much the reward can be if you take that risk. You just have to think of the kid l Roy, you know what I mean. So it's like it's it is a risk, but it's also like if this is meant for you, it'll happen, you know. Yeah, I know Europe is where the dance music. But have you ever thought of like an LA trip? Have you ever written in La? Would you ever consider that?
Speaker 2: I've written in La, like back when I was like eighteen, but it's been a while since, like I've gone back there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I kind of feel I'll come with you. Yeah, let's go. Sounds good. I'll just be a tool manager. Way for real, Like I forget I'd be a bulldog, Like I'd be the vessel you.
Speaker 2: Know what you need? Like I swear being a female in this industry, especially touring that ship is so exhausting, like playing shows and like having sound people not like talk to you properly because like it's just you in a DJ and you're like a woman, and they're like, oh, you don't understand what's going on, you know what I mean? So yeah, we need like strong tool managers and like especially like strong female tour managers for instance, like doing things like a support slot at like the forum and more. It's like a lot of the time they're not like paying crazy well for those positions because they're like a lot of exposure. Yeah, and you take those spots because it's like you that is like such a good look and like such a massive audience that you like get to perform too, and like it actually is like a really positive thing. But yeah, like but when it's just like me and like my DJ who's also like another brown woman, and we're just like whoo vibing. Most of the runs I've been on since like maybe twenty twenty one, I've definitely had at least one person kind of be like have a little moment because like or like not talk to us, probably dismiss us or like maybe yeah, Like it's like so normal that, like you talk to any other woman in the industry and you're like they have the same experience. So it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: That is crazy. But what I want to ask you about is that you just spoke about the support act. Touring with a support act. You've just announced to another leg of massive has to be a big like brain fucking moment for you, Like tasheirl, can we play this? Like come on, that's a that's a that's a name to support like she just so you know, she was the first artist I ever saw live like when I was young. So she came and diod A Nova's Red Room and I won tickets on the radio and now I'm back. But I loved her song to On, Like for me, that was like everything to get Yes. But she brings the vibe, so I feel like you're similar, like similar in terms of like your beautiful like vocal energy and even melody to so it's not like she's different from you.
Speaker 1: So the audience stage presence as well, when I saw you perform in that show, Like I.
Speaker 3: Was totally given it was.
Speaker 1: It really was, And I don't want to blow me like you know, people make it your ass, but like no, I like it was for real. Like I was like, thank you.
Speaker 3: So is that the energy you'd be bringing to the tours.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited for that show. Like when I tell you that week was like insane when I found out about that, because it was like I played the cold Play show, I like went to someone, I got the call about to an actually the like the next day after the cold Play show, and then I got the call after that for the Aria performance and like, and I honestly felt like I had a heart attack.
Speaker 1: I was like, what is going on too much? That's no wonder you haven't like process because you.
Speaker 2: Have been too locked in. I was about a saying it doesn't go.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I love that. Well, let's get to talking about More Music Day. You know, it's an incredible initiative as part of OZ Music Day, and it is championed by the one and Only Nookie. But you're one of the artists who will be you know, one of the ambassadors this year, so it's a it's a it's a it's an amazing thing that we have our own day. You know, it's an important thing. And also it's important that the money and profits filter down to first nations, organizations and musicians. What does it mean for you to be a part of this day?
Speaker 2: Well, Like, first of all, the work that support act are doing is like so important, and especially like having a day like this that goes towards mob that are struggling, it's so so important, and like, you know, it doesn't just support artists, it supports everyone that works in the industry. People who are like doing sound you know, people who are tool managers, and you know, I guess those people actually, like in my opinion, I feel like they get overlooked the work that they do and it's so important. Like if it wasn't for them, you know, festivals wouldn't happen, the shows would be running, you know, like Backbone, Like yeah, yeah, there's so many people that, like I guess like if you're just someone who comes to a show, like you don't realize how much work goes into this. And like for me, like personally, it's like my project is just like it's not just me, Like there's a whole community of people who like like really work hard and like make everything happen and to have you know, Support Act and like you know OZ Music T Shirt Day and Mob Music t Shirt Day, you know, like put that money back into like that community, like it's so important and really awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know OZ music t shirt has been going for a few ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, participated in the OS one, but I always wear a Blackfellow. Last year, I think I did. Last two years, I've done Kingsting right, Yeah, yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but there's a now a T shirt with so many different faces on it, you know, representing mobs. Where can people buy that shirt so that they can donate to this cause?
Speaker 2: So they can go on the Support Act website And I'm pretty sure this ACT website or like the OZ Music T Shirt Day website has like everything and it also has more information on Mob Music T Shirt Day specifically and where you can also buy that that top as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, well, speaking of mobbi music, obviously the ares were just last week. What did it feel like for you, as you know First Nations artists, You've been in the game now for you know, a few years, you've seen a shift you've been to the Hours before, but this year felt different, right, It felt like so many not just nominees, winners and performers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was black a blackout A. Yeah, it was so good.
Speaker 2: No, it felt awesome and like it was so funny. Like I walked into the carpet and I started doing my interviews and then like I turn around, I see Nookie and his whole entourage, and I was like, why did I get one of those?
Speaker 1: Like what the hell? But it was coming out of the van. Yeah, what the hell?
Speaker 2: I see Isaac Compton. I'm like, what are you doing? But it was like, yeah, it was so awesome, like just to be surrounded by so many Mob and like, I don't know, like I guess for me, it's like, Oh, anyone who's like watching this happen, it's like, well, if you have the thought that maybe we've gotten here because we're black or because we're using that, it's actually crazy because like most of the Mob who are actually making music, or all of the Mob actually are like top of their fields, Like you see m Romara, you see like Emma Donovan, like they're actually nowhere near just like average. They're like above and beyond like talented excellent, like they're black excellent. At Dobby, you see everyone like putting in the work and it's like, yeah, it's not because we're black, it's because we're actually good, actually good at what we do and we're like actually better than average.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this might be like way too sentimental, but I love this so much because you know, like most of our get together is like usually based off sad things, you know, like our reunions are usually like funerals, right, and that for me, like even just how many mob were on the red carpet was like, oh my god, Like this isn't these are the moments we should be celebrating so hard and so much because they're like they're like reunions per se as we're getting together, but it's not a fucking funeral. Like yeah, and I just I get excited. I don't get to go to these events much like you.
Speaker 3: I've done next year.
Speaker 1: I have no musical bail. I'm just there for a good time. Yeah. But you know, like I go to a few red carpets and when I it's always the mob that like find one another and connect or I'll find another perth person, like another normal and it's just it's so create safety.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's cultural. It's so funny you say that, Like when I was walking on the carpet for me, like I already get like social anxiety and like spaces like that, it's very full and it's like you're giving a lot of energy and also receiving a lot of energy. So it's like just constantly things going on. And yeah, I was like so simulated. I remember like, and I'm sometimes the kind of person that like can't hide it on my face too, so I'm like, so I'm like walking through and I remember I saw Emma Donovan and I looked over at her and she looks at me and she goes, oh, you a casis, Like everything okay? And I was like, oh, actually, like main, you feel so much more safe and like I was like, no, everything's okay, and she like the way she comforted me. It was like, yeah, it made me feel like really sho.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what, she's probably been there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she like we definitely had this connection when we looked at each other and I was like, no, it's all good. Then she syndrome.
Speaker 3: Hey, But also like the if you're part of a label as much as like they're they're helping you before and you know, supporting you to get ready and stuff. It still is a really white dominated space.
Speaker 1: Look at that acros.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: Me and Baker Boy were probably the only blackfellas like in that room a Baker Boy.
Speaker 3: Represent Can I just drop this like this is a mic drop moment the baker The Baker Boy was not invited to the fucking Arias this year.
Speaker 2: That's crazy?
Speaker 3: Is that insane? So he wins five last year five Arias and then not invited And I said to himself, just pull up in the g wagon and play that.
Speaker 1: Song like we need a protest about this.
Speaker 3: I think what, Look, it does come down to allocations, but I think that's an incredible artist that needs to be there. Even when he's not being recognized for an award or nominated, he's still is a strong part of this industry.
Speaker 1: He's alumni.
Speaker 3: Like in a way, he's a fucking aria I think he's one seven Arias or something like crazy.
Speaker 1: It's crazy politics, and I feel like, yeah, you probably deal with this, and I guess you've touched on it too, Becka. Like the politics in the industry and especially like being a woman, like you have to go up against a black woman. Yeah, it's like, fuck me, you have to go up against way more like obstacles and you have to jump through this hoop and like climb that fucking thing. It's not annoying, it's like it's like.
Speaker 2: You can't just be good. You have to be like better than average, extremely good.
Speaker 3: It's getting to the end of the year, So what's your plans for Like, what do you do? You have big family time, you know, end of year for Christmas or what do you do.
Speaker 2: I usually go back to Campbelltown for Christmas. I don't know what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: I feel like I haven't.
Speaker 2: Even like me in Santa I've been a nasty girl and going to go film some tiktoks that No, Yeah, I don't know, Like it feels like I don't know, but Christmas feels so far away to me, Like I'm like so much work. I can't even like I feel like Christmas. I'm like when is that that feels like next.
Speaker 3: Year but you break or what?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I feel like I got to spend some time with my family and my nieces and yeah, it's so important to be around family, Like they really keep you grounded. Especially my family. They always just make fun of me.
Speaker 1: My family humble, They keep me humble.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because like my siblings, like my brother's a doctor and then my sister she's a lawyer. And then like when I complained about work, I'm like, oh, it's such a long day. Just did was make music at the studio?
Speaker 1: Like, guys, I swear, actually.
Speaker 3: Job hilarious, Like a doctor and a lawyer like the two professions that everyone wants you to be, you know. And then it's like the creative.
Speaker 1: Here, I'm shamed for it.
Speaker 3: Like day you can't complain I have my family. Is that what you're standing in the studio lights for too long? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That exact kind of stuff is what I mean.
Speaker 1: Plus, Okay, can I ask you like a personal question, what would you say to like your fifteen year old self who was like had those little aspirations and are killing it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I feel like I've kind of like gone through this kind of like least thoughts recently actually, because I've been working with someone really awesome. Her name is pretty Stevens. Yeah I know if you guys know her, but she's yeah, an icon tongue and icon and like working with her and like I know that me like I have like a very soft voice when I sing sometimes, and we've been like doing vocal coaching and like kind of working through a lot of different things, like you know, being able to belt and chest and like turning like things like my head voice into being less airy into something that's a lot stronger and can like hold its own and like, yeah, I guess as a vocalist and as like a round woman, I guess people always have been like to me, we need you to belt, like they want me to sing ballads like you know, like Whitney or like Beyonce, and like I guess me being me, like that's not really who I am as like an artist, And I've always found it really hard to like, I don't know, not conformed. Yeah, And I I've always like been like, no, but this isn't who I am. And when you have a lot of people kind of like trying to encourage you to do that or be something maybe or not, it's really hard to like stand up against that, especially being like what fifteen years old and me and Printy were talking about this because I guess she's gone through a very similar journey and like even now, like I feel like I'm still then, like only kind of just like getting a thicker skin and being able to like really stand up and be like, no, this is what I want to do. Like I'm sorry, no, but it's my decision. And yeah, I guess like if I could talk to my fifteen year old self, it would be to like not be afraid to be who you are and you know, like let your light shine and like you know, what you're doing is awesome and like it even though like you might feel like people might be better than you or there's a better way to do things, like just to trust yourself. So that's what I would say to myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we've loved having on. Thank you so much becaving me for all the listeners out there. You can grab more but Music t shirt at Odds Music t shirt day dot org dot au. Make sure you get on there and support this incredible campaign and also check out Becka's you know, incredible music. But also where can I find you on socials?
Speaker 2: You can find me at Becker ex hatch. Someone took Becker Hatch, so Becka x hatch it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much, that's all we have time for today, So thanks for listening to First things first, if you love what you're here to leave us a rating and a little review, and if.
Speaker 1: You want us to cover anything else on the pod, reach out by our socials. Obviously, you can find Becker at Becker axe Hatch, and my handle is at Brook Douglat and Mattie's handle is at It's Maddie Nils and we'll speak to you on the next episode. Bye.