Speaker 1: Apodjeke Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom?
Speaker 1: Podcast?
Speaker 2: That's the question we constantly ask, am I a bad mum? Sometimes we are and sometimes we're not.
Speaker 1: I have great days and I have shitty days. That's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as long as there's some good ones in between, that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does baffle me. I know I say this all the time, but there's no kind of like training course or anything like that you have to go, and you don't even have to like do an online read this. Think about the amount of fucking up our kids we do and have done over the years, like our parents. And when you look into trauma and whenever you go to see a counselor it's from stuff that your parents have passed on. Usually Yeah, and we're still doing that to our kids. So at what point are they going to go, Okay, let's start trading pairents.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just filter through. You can have one, you can't, you can have one, you can't, you can have one. It's like a process of elimination.
Speaker 3: I was twenty eight, twenty seven, twenty eight when I had our first so that I would have been considered like back in the day up late moum oh. Do you think back in the day whenever I was having them, like suep Like my mom had her first child when she was eighteen or nineteen.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, But then I would say twenty seven, twenty eight these days is.
Speaker 1: Young young, yeah, I know. And I was twenty five and I feel like that was young. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then I've got friends these days. I've got a friend who is a year older than me, So she's forty ish forty ish forty two and has a two year old. So she had a baby at forty Yeah.
Speaker 1: Some people choose to do that. Geez, I think that would be exhausting. I just think of my body.
Speaker 3: Actually, I just remember the impact that my body took. And I was what twenty eight and thirty when I had the girls, My hips everything was just like WHOA wrecked.
Speaker 2: Over the years, I've definitely had my kids go why is your tummy like that?
Speaker 1: Why is it?
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's you, It's your fault.
Speaker 1: I get that a lot.
Speaker 3: It's gone from being you know, like fun and cute when they're younger and they have a shower with you, and it's like fun and cute and they go like, oh, mommy, why does your JJ look like that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What's the string hanging? O?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Why are you taking so long in the toilet?
Speaker 3: All of those funny, like little quirky things that they used to say when they were little. And then now I will be having a shower and they'll come down because it's the time that you talk to mum. Right for our household is like Mum's in the shower, quick, she's locked in a small cube space. I need to talk to her now now. With their ages, they sorted don't look at you fun and inquisitively. They look at you like they're almost like analyzing every inch of your body, to the point that I feel like you're like, what are you staring at?
Speaker 1: Are you good?
Speaker 3: You sort of start questioning like what's wrong?
Speaker 1: Is my boop hanging lower than the other?
Speaker 3: Like, and I'm standing there just genuinely looking around for what's wrong, rather than it being fun and inquisitive anymore.
Speaker 2: Rice, This is what I tell you about teenagers. This is the transition period you're going through at the moment from kids to teenagers, and your self esteem will slowly get lower and lower and less and less, and you'll feel more shit about yourself, to the point where they will walk out one day and go, what the fuck are you wearing? And you'll cry, am I about Mum for leaving them to it?
Speaker 1: Leaving them to it?
Speaker 2: I mean a real cool today.
Speaker 1: Just really, what you think? I'm in a pickle today and I really don't know what to do about it. Well, what do you want me to do?
Speaker 2: I don't think I've said I'm in a pickle for years.
Speaker 1: That language come from. I'm in a real pickle.
Speaker 2: Today, Pip, Pip, tell you how if we go.
Speaker 1: I really don't know. I don't know what. I really just don't know. I don't know if I'm a pickle or in a pickle or.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: This wasn't going to be the topic of conversation, but this is relevant for right now, right because we are about to get a cyclone.
Speaker 1: Apparently apparently they reckon.
Speaker 2: It's the first time in fifty years or something cyclone has hit the city and it hasn't just been offshore, and so there's all this hype around it. This morning, Worths had no bottled water or toilet paper left.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh God, it's giving real covies here it is.
Speaker 2: But it's the not knowing, right because I remember this happened a while ago, a few years ago, and there was an email from the school and it said, come and get the kids. We're closing the school. Big storm coming. You know, everybody stay safe, shut your doors, window And I remember picking the kids up from school and we were driving home and I looked up and it was blue skies, sunshine, not a breeze in the air, and I was like, what.
Speaker 1: Are we doing? What is all this hype about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it, And it was a nothing event, nothing happened.
Speaker 1: However, you just.
Speaker 2: Don't know because everyone's saying we're going to lose power. Make sure you've got batteries and.
Speaker 1: Your torches and charged, and.
Speaker 2: You've got charge enough food, and they're talking about getting sandbags because it's gonna flood and all the rest of it. Anyway, that's what's happening right now. Okay, let's go back six months when I find out that the girls are doing a hospitality course up in NUSA for three nights. They're going to be away for three nights. They're not going to need us, and so Jay and I got super excited and went, oh, my.
Speaker 1: Goodness, what should we do? Let's go to Fiji? Yeah for three nights. Perfect.
Speaker 2: We had up until Sunday night at midnight for free cancelation. Monday morning, the nooser trip for the girls is canceled.
Speaker 1: So they're not going now.
Speaker 3: No, so are canceled because of the cyclone that's coming.
Speaker 1: It's meant to me this week.
Speaker 3: By next week it's new news, Like what what?
Speaker 1: This is crazy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Anyway, they're crossing the t's dotting the eyes, making sure everybody's safe, and they've canceled the trip. So like, okay, well that's okay. My girls are sixteen, they'll figure something out. They can be home, they can have a friend over, they can they can get to and from. Yeah, look like school's probably going to be closed too. And so now in my mind, rate is I'm like, first of all, do I want to fly to Fiji in a cyclone? And secondly do I want to leave my kids? Who, yes, they're sixteen and can look after themselves, But still do I want to leave them.
Speaker 1: In a cyclone? In a cyclone I think.
Speaker 2: Where they might have no power, there may be some flooding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I think that you're putting them up again some tough odds by themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I'm just saying, like if it does really come to fruition of what they're saying, like, I'm just saying this because we've been through it a few times growing up in Townsville.
Speaker 1: Like we've gone through this cycle of go.
Speaker 3: The shops by everything, come home, no cyclone or you know, go the shops, don't have anything, come home, just go through the cyclone and then everything's back to normal the next day. Obviously a few more trees down, a few things you have to clean up, and all the rest.
Speaker 1: But it was like we.
Speaker 3: Went through I think it was a Cat three and a Cat four.
Speaker 1: One of them was super spicy.
Speaker 3: It was just like felt like when it had finished, like everything sort of went back to normal, Which is why I'm saying like this is very relevant definitely, But why are we canceling next week?
Speaker 1: I thought it was just this week, like I thought it was well.
Speaker 2: And I also feel like they don't know very much, so they're going, Okay, so by Thursday afternoon, it's going to turn.
Speaker 1: I'm like, how do you know what's going to turn? Hey, Afrid's going to turn? What if he changes his mind. What if he goes the other way.
Speaker 3: I had another friend saying the same thing, Oh my gosh, I'm booked to go to.
Speaker 1: Melbourne and booked to go to Melbourne on the day that the.
Speaker 3: Cyclone's meant to hear it. And I was like, well, just change it and go the night before. You have like twenty minutes of bumps going out, but you'll be fine after that.
Speaker 1: Same with you, kd just get on a plane.
Speaker 3: I think by the time you're getting on a plane, I think we're going to be through quite the thick of it. And I think, if I'm really gauging right, and I'm hoping, I am gunning towards it, next week school will be back.
Speaker 2: This was going to be a topic for the podcast anyway, before I knew about the cyclone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is just an ad blone.
Speaker 2: And before I got into a pickle, because it wasn't a pickle beforehand. The only pickle was my kids going, why you have to go away somewhere. Every time we're going to be away, all our friends are like, your parents are going to Fiji. I'm like, your friends don't understand how it was having kids for sixteen years with no family around and no one to have you. Guys, we took you on our freaking honeymoon and now you're having a gun and shaving me.
Speaker 3: Just don't judge me. Judgment judgment free zone, bro. Just go off to your thing, be quiet, and go back to school.
Speaker 1: And especially if.
Speaker 2: I get on the plane and there's like the cyclone's hit there's a blackout, it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be done.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is by the time I think the anticipation obviously, yes, I absolutely am not taking away from everything that you're feeling right now about the possibility of leaving a kids home in a cyclone all the rest, I get it.
Speaker 1: I'm not taking away from that.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying that I think that the heat of it is going to be here and Fiji's over here, okay.
Speaker 1: And it's resilience. Yeah, it's resilience. I mean, what is resilient.
Speaker 2: Mum left us at home on our own cyclone we had no power and it flooded.
Speaker 3: It'll definitely show up things that you might need to work on later on in life about resilience building.
Speaker 2: And then off we go to Fiji.
Speaker 1: Might, yeah, I might come to Fiji.
Speaker 3: I mean I'd rather have people waiting on me and for three days than being here in this cyclonic bullshit. Just wrapping up with this though, like, let's do a pole. Do you think I've got enough life saving storage of food, toilet paper, and water and milk in my house still?
Speaker 1: Are you asking? You're answering my pole?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, none, No, I'll get a few bottles of champagne.
Speaker 1: Put them in that they can eat eggs.
Speaker 2: I got eggs, eggs, and champagne.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have a party, girls, Zo