Speaker 1: It could not have gone better this gather round weekend, could it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean, all terms of tickets sold, everything that we hoped would happen.
Speaker 4: Absolutely did that and beyond.
Speaker 2: It feels like we've got a TV score of one hundred today as a collective state, doesn't it?
Speaker 4: Absolutely should we speak to the man who organized himself, who.
Speaker 2: Orchestrated the whole thing, who literally slept outside of AFL house and stalked Gil McLaughlin to make this happen.
Speaker 1: Good morning, our Premier. Peter mellanowskis, Hello.
Speaker 5: Good morning Jodie, Good morning.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 5: How are you They.
Speaker 4: Going very well? Our Premier, how are you feeling.
Speaker 3: It's been a pretty big weekend for everyone, But I dare say, I mean Tom Wrehn was in here before, but you've been the busiest man in South Australia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been that. It has been busy. We had to work pretty hard over the weekend to try and get this deal done. There's an awful amount of work that goes on behind the scenes, I've got to say, from a real team of people to try and negotiate these things. I was really determined to try and get a deal done by the end of the by the end of the round yesterday, because you're going to strike while the irons to hop times. We know that starting basically Friday. In fact, both in news Wales's government and the Western Australian government started to pitch in because I could see what was unfolding in the build up to the event, and then on Thursday night as a cracking start. So I was a bit I was a bit nervous, and but the AFL, you know, we negotiated in good faith that was certainly keen to have it here next year, but I wanted to leverage that up into three years, and we finally got over the line yesterday, which was all. It all happened very quick once once some key terms were arrived at it and then you've got to draw the paperwork up. That's been massive. But how did will worked out?
Speaker 2: How did that unvolved? Was it a phone call with you and Gil? Was that an in person conversation? How did you know the deal was done? Now?
Speaker 5: All in person, trody And so across the weekend I tried to get around to different venues to have to see how things were going and what we could learn from and so forth. So we started talking about it on Friday at a business lunch and then we're another chat on Friday night, and that was a bit sort of I was a bit concerned at that point. Then we had another good chat out of Mount Barker because we're both up there to see how Mount Barker played out. Yep, that's and then we started a bit closer and then and then yesterday we had a lot more discussion sort of more formally, and then our team's got to work around paperwork and the like. So it was sort of progressive. It costs the waken. These things always done better in person, and I think Gill appreciated that there was a need to sort of strike quickly here. Class part of the key pitch I was making it give us twelve months to prepare rather than four and a half months, and we can make it even better. And we've now got that.
Speaker 3: So a lot of eagle eyed viewers, especially on social media, premiere and look, it's hard to deny when you see the evidence. I think it's more than just a business relationship. With you and Gilb suggesting that you guys are close becoming best friends.
Speaker 5: I thought him, ok. Over known Gill that long. We first met at the Crow's afl W Grand Final a few years back when I was in a different role, and you just you know what it's like sort of every now and then you sort of struck a call with someone and get on with people, and yeah, yeah we did. And you know he's got you know, kids a little bit older than mine, but young kids and going through the sort of the balancing act to trying to manage a high profile job with children, and so for the we're just chatting about those sorts of things off a non please thing. So we get on well. And but when we when the afl first thought of the goat around concept idea, I was onto real quick, smart on the back of that relationship and because they were keen on New South Wales, and I think, look, we've got a relationship of trust and goodwill and that you know that counts for a lot, and including sort of bend to negotiate a few issues on the weekend.
Speaker 3: We're talking about your relationship. A few minutes ago, we knew that you weren't listening because you're on Sunrise and Jody said something and I said, I need to say that to the premiere in person. She said, no, I'm definitely not going to say that, but the power of radio mean we're always recording.
Speaker 1: So here's what she said, Peter and Gil sitting in a tree. Hey, I double I m G.
Speaker 4: Thoughts on that. Yeah, that's good, Jody.
Speaker 2: I loved that.
Speaker 5: Pretty wheeling there. Let me tell you if you if I'm frank about it, there are a couple of points on the weekend where the negotiations were happy that they couldn't have been further from. So like a couple of points, you're having a bit of a how do I put it, a genuine robust negotiation and you know, you know he's competitive by nature. I'm a bit too. So anyway, we got we got there in the end, and like I said, if you if you're working from a basis of trust, you can sort of work through most things. And that's hopefully what resulted in a good outcome for the state.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't stop because we've got to live golf this week as well.
Speaker 1: Everyone's exhausted. Everyone is so tight.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, look, I mean so the good thing about the golf is that that's attracting a whole other demographic again, Yeah, that's coming it's a lot of people actually leaving the state today. A lot of people are coming in accorders to the airport. But there are some Victorians in particular that have decided to stick it out and stick around for the golf as well if they are able to get a ticket, because that sold out pretty quick. But I sort of make this point and lots of the focus quite rightly because it was the whole idea been on the amount of money this brings in for the economy and what it does to you know, pubs and hotels in terms of dollars through the registers and so forth. That's important and good. The most powerful level of this, Jodie and Hazy is the national spotlight is on us and we've got a story to tell in this state. We've got the lowest unemployment rate we've ever had on record, We've got plans for the future around industries like defense, space, cyber, what we're doing on hydrogen, decarbonization, green iron, and we want people paying attention to what we're doing here and these events give us that. I think there's been a few stereotypes around Adelaide and South Australia that have been truly smashed. This weekend from interstated, and that's powerful and South Australians, I think can hold their head up hard because they made this happen. It wasn't me or Gill and when we put it is important, it was South Australian's Like we said, let's get more people to the footy on Friday night for a City Swans game than what Sydney get for our home game in Sydney, and we smashed it. We smashed it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to have to explain decarbonization to Hazy during Lizzo during the next song.
Speaker 3: There wasn't something about cutting carves because you're shredding food?
Speaker 5: Why? But it's important. I think we should be proud of the fact that, you know, these events are more than just the event itself, you know, and the rest of nations looking at us differently, and that's something that's South Australians have delivered and we can.
Speaker 4: Be proud of it.
Speaker 3: Premier congratulations from everyone in South Australia. This has just been so fun to watch and just even cruising through the footy festival village and everything, it's been an absolute spectacle. We're pumped at a tear for three years and beyond so well done.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Premier Bye the premiere there. That's yeah, three or years unbelievable stuff.
Speaker 2: I was going to complain about the forty five minute lineup for the.
Speaker 1: Zip Line, but I thought not the time. Let's rejoice.
Speaker 4: Keep those complaints in here, sorry,