Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, December twenty four. Green's leader Adam Bandt says Labor is coming closer to the Greens position of full support for Palestine, saying Anthony Alberonizi has been forced to admit the Greens were right all along in criticizing Israel. That's an exclusive interview live on Beaustralian dot com dot u right now. How are we being manipulated on social media? That's the big question burning from Hollywood right through to all of our feeds as actress Blake Lively launches legal action against a coast and a production house she says deliberately sought to destroy her reputation and her life. Today, Who's controlling what we see online? It was one of the biggest movie releases of twenty twenty four, the longer waited cinematic adaptation of Colleen Hoover's blockbuster novel It ends with us, we.
Speaker 2: All have an idea of what love can be.
Speaker 3: I want to see you again. Now you see me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: The film's stars Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni who also directed It Ends with Us, embarked upon a flashy press tour reminiscent of the media blitz, executed to perfection by Margo Robbie's Barbie.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, I didn't have any hesitations.
Speaker 3: To me. It was a no brainer.
Speaker 1: But the longer it went on, the more things felt.
Speaker 3: A bit off. There is clearly something going on with this movie.
Speaker 4: They were at the premiere last night, they're all still not interacting with justin mind you.
Speaker 3: He's the producer, director, and a main character.
Speaker 1: He was rarely pictured with his co stars on red carpets. Lively was criticized for her lighthearted promotion of a film about domestic violence.
Speaker 2: It Ends with Us as in theaters now, so grab your friends, where your.
Speaker 3: Florals and had out to see.
Speaker 1: It, and for using the publicity tour to spook her haircare and alcohol brands. Old interviews resurfaced in which Lively appeared condescending, rude.
Speaker 3: Or bratty. What's the best way for them to be able to talk to you about this? How would you recommend they go about it? Like asking for my address or my phone number, or like my location share or I could just location share you, and then we could.
Speaker 1: It quickly became a pylon of a particularly new kind, a social media avalanche of negative videos, posts, and stories apparently made by creators who'd all come to a similar conclusion blake Lively was horrible.
Speaker 5: After her concerningly vapid answers to fairly serious questions, I found myself asking has she always sounded like this?
Speaker 3: I think my algorithm was tricking me.
Speaker 1: Ellie Dudley is The Australian's Legal affairs correspondent. She's also in her twenties, which means she's a prime target for this kind of viral social content.
Speaker 3: I was just being fed so much content that told me that Blake Lively was a bad person.
Speaker 1: On Friday, blake Lively filed a legal complaint revealed by The New York Times in which she accused her co star Justin Baldoni and others of legal violations, including sexual harassment and retaliating against her for a workplace complaint. She's claiming Baldoni, producer Jamie Heath, their film company Wayfarer and its billionaire founder Steve Sarrowitz, and public relations people they employed crafted a sophisticated social media astroturfing campaign in which they created and then fed an onslaught of negativity against Lively. The lawsuit claims it was all in an attempt to intimidate Lively into staying silent about her claims that Baldoni and Heath had behaved badly on set. Lively's lawsuit says the social media campaign was retaliation for a meeting held in January twenty twenty four in the middle of shooting for the film, in which Lively presented a list of thirty demands. We've used AI voices throughout this episode to read from the legal complaint.
Speaker 2: No more showing nude videos or images of women, including producers who were mentioned of mister Baldoni's or mister Heath's previous pornography addiction or BL's lack of pork. No more descriptions of their own genitalia. No more inquiries by mister Baldoni to BL trainer without her knowledge or consent to disclose her weeak. An intimacy coordinator must be present at all times when Biella is on satin scenes with mister Baldon.
Speaker 1: Lively said after she signed on to make the movie, Baldoni suddenly introduced sexual and nude scenes she hadn't agreed to, including wanting her to be totally nude in a scene where her character gives birth.
Speaker 2: When miss Lively objected to these editions, mister Baldoni insisted he had added them because he was making the film through the female gaze.
Speaker 1: Baldoni's denied the allegations, saying the complaint is categorically false and accusing Lively of trying to tank the film. In the end, the movie was a huge success, earning hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office and telling a powerful, domestic, violent story to audiences who didn't necessarily go to the movies expecting to be dealing with such big themes. But the legal dispute opens a window into how reputation is now, perhaps more than ever, being manipulated. The really explosive part of the lawsuit is a series of text messages Lively says she obtained by subpoena they pre brought to show. Baldoni's publicist, Jennifer Abel in August twenty twenty four, messaging PR consultant Melissa Nathan that her client, Justin Baldoni, wanted the PR professionals to destroy Lively's reputation. Abel allegedly texted.
Speaker 3: He wants to feel like she can be buried.
Speaker 1: Nathan allegedly texted Abel back, we can't rate.
Speaker 5: We will destroy her. Ima Jennifer documents saying all the things that he once ends up in the wrong hands. You know, we can bury anyone, but I can't rate that to him coming up?
Speaker 1: So what does this all mean for women in the public eye and for the way we consume social media. I sat down with Ellie Dudley and The Front's producer Kristin Amiot to dig into what this all means.
Speaker 3: So let's talk.
Speaker 1: About the way you absorbed the social media coverage of the press tool for It ends with Us? Was that how you first became aware that this movie even existed.
Speaker 3: When I first saw it, it was because I saw something about Blake Lively and the rest of the women in the cast not following justin on social media, and then also them not posing for photos with him on the press tour, them doing entirely separate junkets. That sort of stuff started pointing some big arrows towards something isn't happy here. What is going on?
Speaker 1: It really is the epitome of the guilty pleasure, isn't it spending time watching reels or scrolling through content in your feed that you know is being served up to you because you've already told the algorithm that you like it. My version of this is Meghan Markle content. So TikTok and Instagram have deduced that I really like Kate Middleton and I think she's very classy, and I really think Meghan Markle is trouble.
Speaker 3: And so I am constantly.
Speaker 1: Served videos of Megan Markle being weird or being horrible, being rude to people, even though I know it is not organic content. It's not just being served up to me because most people agree with me. I can't help myself kind of indulging in watching these videos.
Speaker 3: And there's a bit of a trend on TikTok. I don't know.
Speaker 4: If you ever go to the comment section of those videos that you're served, it can be about anything. It could be Meghan Markle, it could be people cleaning carpets, whatever it is people are in the comments, and they will often you'll often see the same phrase over and over again, which is I built this algorithm brick by brick, So there is this self awareness of people recognizing that they are being served the exact content that they want to can assume at that moment in time, and it might be ten carpet cleaning videos in a row, but they understand I am the person who has created this. It is just serving me what I've asked for and what I've already engaged with.
Speaker 1: In May, a podcast investigation by Alexi Mostris of Tortoise Media exposed a stunning social media assault against the actress Amber Herd. A defamation suit brought against her by her ex husband, actor Johnny Depp in twenty twenty two whipped up a social media frenzy in which more than fifteen million posts targeting Herd and calling her a liar were published on x. Depp ultimately won the suit and was awarded almost sixteen million Australian dollars in damages. What Mostres uncovered in the Hugeolled Amber podcast wasn't a dedicated fan base, but a sophisticated campaign perpetrated in large part by the Saudi Arabian disinf amation network known as the Ministry of Flies, the country's crown Prince, Muhammed bin Sulman. It turns out is a big fan of Depths, and the actor appears to have reciprocated Saudi Arabia's help in the form of positive publicity, including praise of Saudi Arabia's cultural revolution.
Speaker 3: There is something about these cultural moments. So when you're engaging with that and seeing what people think, you're telling your algorithm, please feed me more of these videos. I love them. Show me what you've got.
Speaker 4: And the enjoyment, to a certain extent, comes from the stakes being so low for any of us. You are observing this exchange, this cultural exchange that's going on.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because one of the things that social media is doing is critiquing the mainstream media, is saying, question everything and be a skeptic. And yet, because of the extremely addictive and delicious nature of particularly video content on social media, we don't apply that same skepticism and caution to what we're being served on social right.
Speaker 3: And if social media is holding the mainstream media to account, who's holding social media to account? Which I think is where we end up. I think there's something really interesting because young people today are becoming increasingly more literate when it comes to what they're consuming online. They're able to pick something that is an AI generated video, or they're able to see a tabloid headline that just seems a little bit off kilch, how something's not quite right. But what happens when there is an entire force at play pushing at social media algorithm to change the way that the public thinks. How can an individual possibly push up against that?
Speaker 4: There's also a possibility that this actually proves her argument in that if indeed Justin Baldoni and the people he employed can orchestrate a campaign so devastating that it can dismantle the reputation of somebody.
Speaker 3: Like Blake, live with the standing that she has.
Speaker 4: In Hollywood was to say, it can't also work in his favor and actually build up his brand in the same process. And in fact, that branding exercise, purely from a marketing perspective, has been going on for several years before he came to this film. He did a ted talk about sort of vulnerability and masculinity that went viral I think in around twenty seventeen. He then parlayed that into two books a podcast about male vulnerability toxic masculinity, discussing these things in a really open end. It appeared to be an intellectual way. So there is a marketing exercise that's been going on long before this that while it can allegedly do damage, it can also build the foundations of something that's powerful in a different way.
Speaker 1: I mean, does it basically boil down to the idea that society, men and women, and particularly now in this age of social media, doesn't like a woman who stands up for herself and says, I don't like the way you're behaving.
Speaker 3: I'm boss here. This is my call? Is that it? I think it's more than that. I think that if we believe everything that Lively has put in her legal complaint, then I think that we can believe that these men decided to shut down a woman that was trying to make a workplace safer. I then think that they succeeded in doing that. They spread a narrative, and they choreographed a campaign trying to damage her reputation. That worked. And I think that women and other people on the internet bought into that because they like to shut down a woman that's standing up for herself, and also because it's easy, and also because they loved the drama of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, she seems to have it all, doesn't she She's stunningly beautiful, very stylish, extremely rich and very successful. You know what's not to hate.
Speaker 3: And broadly liked as well. Right. She built this entire brand around being a nice lady. She's got her fun, playful relationship with her husband and Ryan Reynolds, and they've built this brand about being really, really likable. They flew too close to the likable sun, if you will, and got burnt. And so the Internet is really happy to pile on to somebody because you know that they're doing too well, or they're too successful, or they're too beautiful or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Ellie Dudley is The Australian's Legal affairs correspondent. Over summer, we'll be right here on the front with the headlines you need and some deep dives into Australia's best journalism, whether you're listening on the beach or on a road trip or just escaping from the relatives while pretending to walk the dog.
Speaker 3: From all of
Speaker 1: Us here at the Front and The Australian, have a merry Christmas, a happy Haneker, a brilliant new Year, and a beautiful time with your favorite people.