Speaker 1: Hell, I was up speaking. Oh hi, Rachelle, Yeah, it's lez. How are you good, Banks Brusa? Are you good?
Speaker 2: You're okay to talk now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I am now okay.
Speaker 3: The person our Irish cold case cop Liz McNaughton is speaking to is Rochelle, David Leanne's youngest daughter. She was only nine when it's disappeared. In this phone call, she's thirty three, trying to recall the days leading up to her grandfather vanishing. Margaret that's Rachelle's grandmother and Lessa's first ex wife, were staying at the family home while Leanne was in hospital in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: I remember the hair mm hm. I remember my grandmother was around as well. Yeah, that wasn't a very friendly situation when they were the girl I remember, I remember where become he came in room. Who'd demeanor changed all the time? Now very nasty.
Speaker 3: Rochelle was close to her granddad. By all accounts, she was his favorite, so she took his disappearance hard, suffering recurring nightmares every time.
Speaker 1: The nightmare happened in the car. And you're always kind of picking out from school and you always hate throach flip. You always pointed in the back. It was every single night. After we found out, it was every single night for a month, every single night.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a long time.
Speaker 1: It was only May. They kept having the nightmare. It was always May at the school, at the Climate school, by myself. He came, he picked me up.
Speaker 4: I'm Callum Dness and I'm Joe Townsend. This is perfect alibi.
Speaker 3: When Liz McNaughton started her investigation in twenty fifteen, she was essentially starting from scratch. Two years later, she'd hear an explosive confession. We'll talk about that later this episode, but for now. In twenty fifteen, Liz poured over hundreds of pages of documents, paying very close attention to what the Phillips children had told police. This reckons that in murder investigations, children are most likely to tell the story that's closest to the truth. Jacqueline is David and Leanne's eldest daughter. She was fourteen when those disappeared. Police are talking to Jacqueline at her house while a TV plays in the background. She recalls that when Leanne came home from hospital in Brisbane two weeks after Les was last seen, she was distraught and insisted he had visited her.
Speaker 5: Oh, I remember Monster just absolutely crying. She used to say, I saw him. She was just hysterical, like she was just crying. She was so upset. I had never seen her upset the way she was.
Speaker 3: These police tapes were laid handed to a coroner. Detectives thought her father, David, the former detective, was suspiciously apathetic about Les's disappearance, but Jacqueline paints a completely different picture.
Speaker 1: I remember him standing.
Speaker 6: In the bedroom, you know, just going over, you know, looking at things. You go on now, you just.
Speaker 7: Just going through things, trying to work out up.
Speaker 8: Leia.
Speaker 7: I had some clothes and that's still in the cupboard. He just said a mom, don't worry, he'll come back, or we'll find it. Is your dad dead, so don't worry.
Speaker 1: You'll find you.
Speaker 6: And then he nevers, you just go on, don't worry, No, we'll find him.
Speaker 9: Might that.
Speaker 3: Liz McNaughton flew down to Melbourne with her boss to interview Leanne. Leanne was interviewed in the original nineteen ninety three investigation and again in twenty eleven. She never walked back her account of seeing Les in hospital, even when confronted with evidence that Les never visited her. She stuck to her guns, but it had been six years since police had last spoken to her, and Liz was hoping the passage of time might have led Leanne to admit she got it wrong. She and her colleague pressed Leanne on her story and the evidence Les never visited her. This is how she responded, but I still believe he did.
Speaker 5: I know you may not believe that, but I still believe you did.
Speaker 9: You know, you say you believe you came to see you, watchful, Why do you say you believe you came to see you?
Speaker 10: What what makes you believe?
Speaker 2: She would say, I believe he did. There was never a I am sure and I am certain that he did. It was always well, I believe he did. Well, that's what I recall, just.
Speaker 9: Trying to put your memory by it and because it's just that you keep saying I believe he did. But you don't seem to be committed to.
Speaker 1: You do you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: I don't know, because if you're you know, if you're mistaken, that that's okay. I'm sure you've been in hospital about time. So yeah, what makes you so sure that you came to your hospital to see you because he always came to you when I was in hospital.
Speaker 3: He saw me. As we've mentioned, coroners found that Liz didn't visit Leanne in hospital in Brisbane, but that Leanne sincerely believes that he did.
Speaker 4: And that Leanne was a credible witness.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Leanne was on prescription medication as part of her hospital treatment at the time, so that's understandable. Maybe her memory was a bit affected or she felt a bit hazy exactly.
Speaker 3: That can happen, particularly when neuron say like heavy drugs in hospital.
Speaker 4: Liz is a warm woman, she's a hugger, and recalling her interview with Leanne, she's actually full of empathy because when Liz spoke to Leanne, she was a widow. David died in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, David had a really bad stroke in nineteen ninety four and then suffered a really long period of poor health right up until he died in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: And Leanne told Liz that the stroke changed his personality. He started lying and he became violent, tired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt she was tired. Protective of her children was then and stellees no as adults, protective of her grandchildren. And that's her mother, isn't it you know? So her protective nature has said and to protect what she has left. She's been strange from the rest of the farmily and she only has her children and her grandchildren. She's protective. That's what I felt she was. I felt she was tired.
Speaker 3: The Phillips family were crucial witnesses to the day Les was last seen alive. We've covered what happened that day previously and by the time Liz picked up the investigation, so had a coronial in quest, the original police investigation into Less's disappearance, and a twenty eleven review, But Liz discovered crucial information those inquiries had missed. The story of what happened that day involved seven people, David, his mother in law, Margaret, family friend, Tony Hoyer, and the four Phillips kids. So let's start with the adults, Okay.
Speaker 4: Back in nineteen ninety three, Tony told police he'd gone to the Phillips house that afternoon with a big bag of prawns. When he arrived, he found Lez packing his car. He said he was going to Brisbane to visit Leanne. Tony asked to put the prawns inside, but Lez said no because he'd just locked up the house. Margaret and David said when they returned home they found a note from Lez.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So this sticks out to me because if Les couldn't be asked unlocking the house to let Tony in his bag of prawns in, it didn't make sense that he'd later changed his mind unlock the house and go in and leave a note. The other thing is David said the note read call Tony or Tony called. Margaret said the note read Tony called with prawns. We'll call back at five pm. But police never saw the actual note. He was never handed in as evidence to them.
Speaker 2: So we have three different versions of what happened that day. Was he there, did he come back? Was there a note left? Did Lairs leave the note?
Speaker 3: Then there was Tony's description of the car and trailer.
Speaker 2: He described how the car was and how the trailer was. They weren't hooked up, or as when David said when he left or they left to take the kids off to the display Holmes that they were hooked up.
Speaker 3: By twenty eleven, Tony had a different memory of that day. This time, when he arrived, Les wasn't outside packing his car.
Speaker 11: And I remember dropping off the stuff and then he came to I just nobody was saying, so I banged on the door and then I put the car crawls there official or whatever was it A polly put it at the door. Then as I was walking away, he came to the door and I said, oh, there's.
Speaker 10: He and then he says, oh, yep.
Speaker 11: I said, I just got some sepood the other day, and then he worries him and that was it, and that was it.
Speaker 3: That was it. In this version, Tony successfully dropped off the prawns, and Les doesn't mention anything about going to Brisbane.
Speaker 8: Did Lis indicate to you what he was going to do for the rest of the day.
Speaker 12: We didn't.
Speaker 11: I didn't don't care or didn't care on whatever.
Speaker 12: I didn't talk to him for long.
Speaker 11: So yeah, it was just like a in an outsort.
Speaker 3: So back in nineteen ninety three, David and Margaret told police that Tony came around later that night with the seafood to cook up the barbecue, but Tony said he came back a week and a half later.
Speaker 4: Hang On in nineteen ninety four, didn't Tony amend that same statement while on the stand at the coronial inquest, saying he did in fact return that evening.
Speaker 3: Yeah he did, but he said that he stayed for two hours, whereas David said Tony stayed the night. So in twenty eleven, detectives western Tony about this discrepancy.
Speaker 8: When you left, do you remember where you went?
Speaker 3: What you did? No, I can't remember.
Speaker 12: I think probably went home. It's probably it.
Speaker 13: So son, you say about a week and half, lady, you saw you go back around there.
Speaker 10: But Dave says in his statement, he says that you do go around.
Speaker 1: There that night, but there you go.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, but I think, actually I think I might might have. It's important that we're fair to Tony here. From his perspective, that day wouldn't be particularly memorable. He showed up at the Phillips house some family friends of his with a bag of seafood to have a barbecue. He did that all the time, so you kind of get why the details of that might change over the years, which is the point he made to police when questioned about these discrepancies.
Speaker 2: The second time he was Footman two and the third time he was Footman too, he couldn't recall that first a cone. But he said that must be okay, because that's why I first said.
Speaker 3: But what struck is when she went back and looked at Tony's original statement was that he never actually told police that this encounter with Les occurred on Sunday, the eighteenth of April.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't nomine a parteicularly just said for Sunday.
Speaker 4: So what did he tell police? Why did they think this happened on the eighteenth of April?
Speaker 3: Well, already statement Tony said, I can't remember the date, but it was on a Sunday last month, and I went around to Dave's house. So detectives just assumed that he must have been talking about the same Sunday as Margaret and David. But get this, when police spoke to him again in twenty eleven, he wasn't even sure that this whole thing happened on a weekend.
Speaker 14: Did let's tell you when David was at the time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, I can't recall. I thought.
Speaker 11: I just said, oh, I know he would have been at work, so on this Sunday, I thought. I didn't go around the word was it? I I don't know where he was.
Speaker 3: David told police that after getting some fast food with Margaret and the kids. The family stopped off to watch a game of cricket, and we.
Speaker 1: Drove back to Humbry.
Speaker 3: Jackson stopped off and figure guy had a few fiends. That's it, except Margaret made no mention of stopping off at the cricket.
Speaker 4: Yes, so Liz is the first one to realize that Margaret, David, and Tony's stories about that crucial day don't line up.
Speaker 3: Or she was the only one to line their statements up on a timeline, which is kind of wild to think about, right.
Speaker 4: What about the kids?
Speaker 3: Yep, so the youngest Phillips girl was only nine when this happened. The eldest was I think fourteen. Police questioned them years later when they adults. Jacqueline and Danielle, who were the two eldest, said they remembered visiting display homes, but when she was questioned by police in twenty eleven, Jacqueline said that Nana Margaret didn't attend. Her memory was that it was only David and the three kids that went and when they returned home, Margaret was sweeping out the house. Lizz's police report says that after a long discussion with her parents, she changed her statement, but Danielle, who's the second eldest, also said that she didn't remember their nan coming with them on this family outing either. Samantha Phillips, who was only eleven when Le's disappeared, thought he vanished on a school day and I.
Speaker 15: Remember say good bord him in the morning to go to school and coming back at all his stuff gone.
Speaker 3: And Rochelle, who's the youngest, was in hospital in Townsville with appendicitis shortly before Les went missing. She said that when she got home, which was on a Friday, he was gone.
Speaker 1: I got home. Yeah, it wasn't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said that in your statement.
Speaker 1: Okay, he wasn't there. His stuff wasn't there. Nothing was there at all. Even in the bungalow. There was none of them stuff around that would look gone.
Speaker 4: So, in other words, everybody has a different story of that day.
Speaker 3: Do you believe that Les was alive on the eighteenth of April?
Speaker 2: No, I do not believe that, definitely not. So that's my opinion.
Speaker 4: Isn't it wild that nobody until Liz mcnorton had lined up all of those differing accounts.
Speaker 3: I thought that would have been the first thing that you did right.
Speaker 1: Hm.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I think about when I look at these accounts of that day is it just makes me feel really sorry for the Phillips children. Their dad took them on this normal, frankly quite boring outing to go look at display homes, and it just happens to be central in what happened to this unsolved murder of their grandfather. It's just I really feel for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've been questioned by police for decades and really dragged into this investigation.
Speaker 3: And they've had to grapple with some pretty confronting questions.
Speaker 2: I believe that they were ras and weft understand where did he go? Why did he leave without sand? Why did he not.
Speaker 3: Speak to you?
Speaker 2: Has he loved us? We cared for the children, and I don't think he would have left with oat san his goodbyes.
Speaker 3: By the time they spoke to the now adult Phillips children, they were aware that their father had long been the suspect in their grandfather's murder, and in the audio recordings you can hear them each processing the idea that that Dad might be guilty.
Speaker 15: I'm not saying whether Dad did it or not.
Speaker 4: I honestly have no idea young.
Speaker 15: We were too young to even consider what could.
Speaker 10: Have happened to granddad. We just know we thought he left.
Speaker 3: Yep. And because they were only children when Le's disappeared, there was stuff happening in the house that they had no idea about, such as the family finances. Here's Jacqueline's reaction when police informed her that Les had loaned her parents thirty one thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: How four.
Speaker 10: Always thought we.
Speaker 1: Were financially stable.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, he meant thirty one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: What did they do thirty one thousand dollars?
Speaker 3: Jacqueline was stunned to hear that there was still money completely unaccounted for. And that's this estate.
Speaker 7: She hasn't gained anything from it.
Speaker 5: With granddad alive and building us a house, a land of house, that would have been more beneficial.
Speaker 8: Unless he wasn't really going to build that house, and he was gonna sit along the house and hard a little way about there.
Speaker 5: But he still bought didn't he still buy us at block of land?
Speaker 8: Yes, so you're.
Speaker 6: Saying he's gonna sell that block of land to build a house in Cardwell.
Speaker 8: We're not sure, but he seems to have kept the purchase of the house at Cardwell secret from everyone. Yeah, old you do that. He hasn't told obviously you and your sisters. He hasn't told your.
Speaker 3: Mother, Dad.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: We asked all four of David's daughters if they'd like to be interviewed for this podcast, but they declined, and we absolutely respect that. We've stuck to their police interviews and except they were just kids at the time, unwittingly dragged into a pretty awful event through no fault of their own.
Speaker 3: Let's go back to the timeline for when Les goes missing. The three adults, David, Margaret, and Tony gave completely contradictory accounts of the last day Les was supposedly seen alive, which was the Sunday.
Speaker 4: So when was Les really last scene alive?
Speaker 3: Well, Liz thinks that the last time anyone can say for certain that Les was definitely alive was on a Thursday. That's Thursday, the fifteenth of April. Rochelle, the youngest, told police that Les called her when she was in hospital, and her nursing notes actually confirmed that this call did take place.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably the last time that anybody can with creepd sure that they actually spoke two lairs and knew it was lairs. And that's his granddaughter. She knows her grandfather. We don't have any concrete evidence to suggest that anybody else saw him or had a conversation with him from that time.
Speaker 4: So we have three adults here, Margaret who died in twenty twenty, Tony and David, each telling different stories. I mean, what's going on?
Speaker 2: I always maintee and probably still do that. Margaret knows more than Margaret, her husband saying that she knows. That's my that's my feelin.
Speaker 3: This isn't just Lizza's suspicion here. Here's what Samantha told police, but which.
Speaker 15: Has been bothering me for quite a few years.
Speaker 1: Is my grandmother.
Speaker 2: And was very different after that.
Speaker 8: Okay, different house.
Speaker 3: She was very different.
Speaker 15: Well to kill us has been since.
Speaker 3: And again, I mean a different how when you came back to Melbourne.
Speaker 15: Came back Broode. We were a burden to her?
Speaker 1: Can I say something I'm a detective or any far probably something, just not to think about it all over again.
Speaker 3: But could Nan have done it?
Speaker 1: Don't cover it up?
Speaker 4: WHOA? So in case you missed that audio, she says, could Nan, So that's Margaret have done it, and dad she's talking about David Phillips have covered it up. So we've all got this right. The Phillips children also have differing accounts. Some of them say that Nana Margaret wasn't with them when they visited those display homes with their dad David. But they were just kids and nineteen ninety three is a long time ago.
Speaker 3: That's right. You have to take it with a grain of salt, I suppose. But the other thing I keep thinking about is that Margaret spent a lot of time with Les at the Phillips house. You know, David was working, the kids were at school. Leanne, as we know, was all the way in hospital in Brisbane, so it was just her and Les there during the day. She's deceased now, of course, so we'll never know exactly what she did or saw on you. But just take a listen to what Leanne said about Margaret her mother.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think mum has an opinion on what happened.
Speaker 3: I just agree with her opinion.
Speaker 1: You have you heard that from your mum or Oh, we had an.
Speaker 2: Argument over it a few months ago.
Speaker 3: Okay, what was said during.
Speaker 1: That conversation.
Speaker 3: Even David's own parents suspected that he may have been responsible for Less's murder. This is his sister, Christine.
Speaker 10: Well, I asked my mum and dada, and dad said, I don't know. My mom goes. Possibly they went to heaven thinking that their son's a murderer and didn't have any answers.
Speaker 3: Then there's Tony. Police have paid him heavy scrutiny over the years. There's the fact that his memory of what happened on Sunday the eighteenth is so hazy and has changed so dramatically each time he's told it. But memory is unreliable, that happens. What really caught police's attention was a series of coincidences. First, remember the lotto ticket, the one that Leanne said Les gave to her in hospital. That ticket was purchased in Townsville, so Leanne couldn't have bought it, and police suspected Les was dead by the time. Somebody used his card to buy it.
Speaker 13: And your brother had a news agency, said a towns Ye Victorian news agency.
Speaker 10: So this lot of ticket.
Speaker 13: He's allegedly given to Lianne by her father when she's in the hospital, handd Lez give her a lot of ticket if he didn't come and visit her, No I did.
Speaker 12: How could he get rid of a lotto ticket? I didn't give it a lotto ticket. I never buy anybody a lotto tickets. I don't even play lotto. So but no, definitely not.
Speaker 3: Then there was the patient that she had a room with Leanne. Although she didn't see anyone matching Les's description pay a visit, she did see a bloke in his thirties. Tony was twenty three at the time. In twenty eleven, police confronted Tony Hoyer with another strange coincidence, a train manifest showing that the same day Leanne received this mystery visitor, a passenger with a very similar surname, Haya, was recorded leaving the train station attached to the hospital.
Speaker 12: No, I didn't go to visit in the visitor, no, Mishael, Pretty sure, No, I don't think I did. Now I remembered that. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 13: The fact she's in the PA hospital.
Speaker 11: From the PA hospital, that's very strange. I've never even seen that.
Speaker 12: Before, So yeah, that's pretty freaking that.
Speaker 11: It definitely wasn't either, And I was twenty three at the top. I'm not thirty, whoever visited her Joe.
Speaker 3: We should stress these are just coincidences that don't prove anything, and no matter how strange or unusual the cops thought these coincidences were. It's a reach by the police, right, Like they don't directly connect Tony to Les's disappearance.
Speaker 4: I think all this is about police possibly just trying to turn the screws on Tony and see what he knows. Mister Hayer and mister Hoyer are not the same Tony's right, and there's plenty of different newsagents in Townsville. These are pretty weak links and could just be nothing coincidences. The only thing we can accuse Tony of is having a dodgy memory. If that was a criminal offense, I'm afraid I'm just as guilty as him.
Speaker 3: Lock her up. But one reason police were questioning Tony is because it seems that David thought Tony had something on him, something that could be very damaging. Here's a piece of audio from the coronial inquest. Two detectives are talking to Tony in a crowded public place. Pay attention to what they say.
Speaker 11: Yes, someone that he said.
Speaker 9: The only way that basically indicact the only way you will come undone or things you'll come undone is if is if you said something.
Speaker 12: Now, this is what he said.
Speaker 11: Now, That to me doesn't suggest he's putting you in as feeing in goal.
Speaker 2: What suggests to me is that in his mind, at.
Speaker 6: Least you knew something that could have let me damn.
Speaker 11: Which Anthony Hoyer, Yeah, I MAT's rock solid.
Speaker 3: So Joe police said that was rock solid. But what does that mean? How would they know that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't know if the police on that tape were just bluffing to try to get something out of Tony here, or if they really did know from some other means. He's always maintained he had nothing to do with Lez's disappearance, and really nothing suggests otherwise. In twenty twenty three, a coroner found that Tony was a cooperative and credible witness. We contacted Tony to give him a chance to give his side of the story, but he's decided not to engage with us.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let's focus on the other adult in this story, David Phillips. By the time Liz was on the case, David was dead, so Liz could only go off his previous police interviews.
Speaker 2: My impression was that Devi was manipulative and he probably used his police and career to ignore himself. He would like to ance her own questions, didn't really answer a question sort of more was it all very vague and had a story for a question, but the question was never really answered. I find him very hard to very hard to read, and very hard to pinpoint down to a particular He was very confused, and I think that was I don't know if that was intentional or if that's just the way it was.
Speaker 3: Lizz suspects David used his knowledge of police investigations to evade attention, particularly when it came to Less's car. So, according to what David told police, he first realized that Les's car was at the Townsville train station when Leanne got back from the hospital in early May.
Speaker 4: That's before Les was reported missing exactly.
Speaker 3: By then, it had been nearly two weeks since David arrived home to find the garage empty and Less's car and trailer gone. So David left a couple of notes on the car, telling Les that Margaret was gone and to call home.
Speaker 4: But it's only when Ian Naness was doing that welfare check five weeks after Les was last seen that David mentions the abandoned car to the police exactly.
Speaker 2: I think Devot was quite clever and keeping the car there. He did put notes on it, so he knew it was there. It's not like he didn't know. He knew quite early it was there. And I think, you know, the weather can change the outside of a vehicle, different things. The car should have been forendsly examined a lot sooner, like the minute it was there, and I think Devid definitely changed that whole scenario by let it sit there and not actually, you know, I don't know why he didn't mention that the car was there until such a long time later.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, David do You'll remember Joe. He's a former detective. He spent ten years in Victoria Police, including time on the Major Crime Squad. Detectives who ran the original investigation into Les's disappearance suspected he was where his house might be bugged and left the TV on to obscure anything police microphones might pick up. When you hear how the people who knew him best described David, it seems he was certainly capable of that. This is how his sister Christine describes David is rerap cunning. Police also spoke to Margaret. She was with some relatives when they spoke to her, and this is what they had to say.
Speaker 1: A very very bright person, very clever academically, very.
Speaker 5: Clever, but.
Speaker 1: Too clever.
Speaker 4: But this is all just suspicion. Police didn't have any actual evidence to prove David played any role in Les's disappearance. There was very little evidence at all, although when Liz poured over the police file line by line, she found clues that previous investigations had overlooked.
Speaker 2: When you get new SATs of eyes, every time those sets of eyes pick up things other people may have missed because they're looking at it from a different angle. So yeah, they're definitely were things that were missed at the beginning.
Speaker 4: And there was a troubling detail in Margaret's statement. When Margaret, David, and the four kids returned home from their outing, Less's car and trailer were gone, and the garage he'd been staying in had been cleared out. His bed remained, but not the mattress.
Speaker 2: She said when she had come back that all Lazz's things had gone, and even the matris was gone, any evidence that would be there, you know, if there was file play something like that there, because it would be quite easy to get rid of that.
Speaker 4: These precious missed opportunities didn't get police any closer to figuring out what happened to Les, but one very important piece of evidence dead. A former detective who worked with David in Victoria contacted Queensland Police with explosive information. His name was Brian Murphy and the former cop had a legendary reputation in Melbourne, so legendary that he had this nickname, the Skull, and because it's such a great nickname, will refer to him as the Skull throughout.
Speaker 2: And remember us travel and doing to Melbourne to vest and you know, we had this sort of reputation because he's written a book, you know, and it's like, oh, you know, it's verentorious. It's like wow.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was Liz's warm glow of empathy, or maybe it was the Irish connection, whatever it was, Liz was quite charmed by the Skull.
Speaker 2: But you know, we went to his home, beautiful home, hot tea. His wife was there, absolutely.
Speaker 4: Gorgeous over a cup of tea in his beautiful home with his gorgeous wife. The sk told Liz that David had told him something absolutely wild about Lez.
Speaker 2: Well. He told us that he had met up with Deva at a certain point in time, and that Deva had actually confessed to him that he had killed his father in law.
Speaker 4: David Phillips didn't just confess. He described in gory detail murdering Lez in the family garage.
Speaker 2: Was quite messy, quite bloody, and used words to the fact of he almost ripped his win paintment. And he said then he had met up with some old guy that looked like Lez and had got am to gone by a tree and tecker, and then he had helped him bury him in some onmarked grave that he had previously had reading which sorry would think it was premeditate then that you know, we had this rarety for that particular event.
Speaker 4: It's a wild story and frankly quite unbelievable. David not only almost ripped out Les's windpipe but later executed another man he'd recruited to help dump Less's body. But Liz had no doubt that the skull was accurately conveying what David had told him. She believed the skull was absolutely telling the truth.
Speaker 2: I think you get a feel for people, you know, you get you get a feel. You know Brian was you know, he'd been around, he was in the police before you know it was. It wasn't a silly maum and for him to come up with something like that there would be ridiculous. There've been no reason for it if nothing to gee and he wasn't getting anything from us. All he wanted to do was pellatros. This is what you told me. I'm not telling you do with it what you will, but this is what we say it.
Speaker 4: Police look for the two ms when they're investigating a crime, motive and means. Liz had established a strong motive for David murdering Les money. Lez had loaned the family tens of thousands of dollars and called the loan in. And we know David had the means, not only the strength to almost rip out the windpipe of the much smaller Les, but the policing know how to cover it up.
Speaker 2: The only conclusion, after reviewing all that I could come to was that Devid Phillips was the only person that had the means in them all earth to do it. And I truly believed that he was the person that murdered Lazbol in my heart and my gun. That is what I will believe to the day I DIA.
Speaker 4: Basically next time on perfect Alibi, the Skull testifies about David's confession. But just how credible is this notorious ex cop.
Speaker 2: I gave him Judge a friendly and I had him by the dragged up against the war and.
Speaker 1: Or but Dotage would stroke.
Speaker 14: He was a good source of information for both the police Department and the underworld, So you couldn't really trust him because you don't know who he's playing off against. Anyone you just didn't know.
Speaker 4: If you've got more information on this case, you can contact us at les Ball podcast at ProtonMail dot com. That's l eesb a double L podcast at proton mail dot com.