Speaker 1: Apod Shake Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mom? Podcast? Something funny happened that I wanted to bring up before we get into today's topic, because we were at your house for a photo shoot that you and Sam were doing. And so what happened is you had gone off with the videographer to do a bit of filming and I was setting up the next shot. Okay, this is great, and your two girls were at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were with the girls.
Speaker 1: So I said to Elsie, I was like, do you have like a spray and white because where we were going to have the shot, there was a bit of bird poo on the deck and I was like, oh, that's not going to look great. I'll just clean it off. And Elsie looked at me and she went, oh, yeah, yeah, here go and passed me a spraym wipe. She went what do you need it for? And I went, oh, I'm just going to clean off some birdpool off the back deck. And she looked at me with the funniest face and when did Mom ask you to do that? And it was almost like I could see her little brain ticking over. It was like Mums invited her friend over and asked her to clean the birdpool off the deck.
Speaker 2: She probably was like, I can't believe my mum's asked you to clean bird pool off our decks. So embarrassing she asked you to.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Kay, It's almost almost like I could almost feel that she felt embarrassed. She was like, sorry, sorry that your mom's got you cleaning. Am I a bad mum for not educating them? In general, I feel like we have touched on this subject many, many years ago, and now I'm revisiting it all these years on because I had a conversation. This was around Easter. So we're chatting about Easter and what Easter means, and I'm no expert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how much I can contribute to this.
Speaker 1: There are certain things that I know we do around Easter. For example, on Good Friday we eat fish. I'm unsure completely about why, but I think it's something to do with red meat and Jesus and so out of respect, we have fish on a Friday. On Good Friday, I was having this conversation with the girls and Amelia turned around and she went, I've been going to a ca Flick school for twelve years and I don't know the difference between God and Jesus.
Speaker 2: I was like, you're like this, okay, so how's religion?
Speaker 1: And she goes and who's Mary? And how does Mary fit? I was like, oh my god, Yes, you've been going to a calic school for twelve years. And also you've been doing religion almost every day, especially in high school. Like the amount of religion they do, like I have definitely questioned whether they should have been doing more math, Like how is religion so frequent? I know, but also how are you not knowing that stuff? Like I feel like I've got a bit of an excuse. I didn't go to a religious school. I went to a state school. Yes, so I'm like, okay, there's my excuse for not, you know, being fully educated on it. You've got no excuse. She'd been going to that school for twelve years.
Speaker 2: What is she doing during the religion like sessions that they go to every day?
Speaker 1: But they also online shopping putting stuff on deepop so they were allowed at school to listen to their music like they work with Spotify playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do know that because Gracie has pushed the envelope of that a few times and going I need my own account, and I was like, no, well I pay for the family account so that we can all use the family account. No, well, I don't want to be classified as kid. I sorry class family, I said, sorry, I'm you twelve weird. But at the same time she does the same thing. So it must be like a high school thing. Yeah, but we just not have Spotify, right, we didn't have Spotify. No, so we didn't have streaming, so when people like people knew that when we were listening to music at school, teachers would know because we'd have like, you know, the ear pieces in and chords everywhere, and your discman was skipping and you.
Speaker 1: Didn't feel like you were allowed just only discom in a class. I didn't remember, not in class.
Speaker 2: No. I remember being on a bus and like if we were to and from like stuff, we were allowed to use it on a bus, but then it'd be like, no, not allowed to bring anything with you, like camps and stuff like that. Kids these days don't understand. They don't have enough appreciation.
Speaker 1: No. I think this is also going back to what we always talk about in that we don't allow them to be bored like you're supposed to be bored in math. Aren't you're supposed.
Speaker 2: To be when your brain is actually going to explore that idea of maths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, that constant music playing is the need for something to be constantly happening. Yeah, I don't know how well you study with music. I don't think I could concentrate with music playing in my ears.
Speaker 2: But I know.
Speaker 1: But this is the weird part.
Speaker 2: I'm going to throw my brother under the bus here. So Luke, you know, he works for himself. He has his own business. He has like days where he goes. I just don't want to be at my desk. I want to just go into a cafe. I want to sit and have a delicious coffee. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He has a lot of cafe time, I feel like.
Speaker 2: Right, And he sits there and like tap tap tap tap, taps away on his laptop and at the same time has his air pods in. And I questioned him numerous times and was like, but how do you have music going while you're doing this, because in my head I'm going that's all too much. He has something on Spotify called Cafe Background Noises. It's a fucking playlist that just has noise in the background.
Speaker 1: The sound of the actual cafe a fake cafe. This is a real cafe.
Speaker 2: So he's sitting in a real cafe with real people with real noises, but has his air pods in on a Spotify playlist of cafe background noise, because he said, what happens is too many people come around him, like sitting next to him, in around him when he's working away. He said, I start to just listen to their conversations and try and be like, oh gosh, oh I could problem solve that. That would be easily done by this and this and this, and so he said, I get so sidetracked with everyone else's conversations, but I still want the cafe noise. So I put my AirPods in and have a cafe noise background playlist. Oh, it just sounds so fucked up to me.
Speaker 1: I was like, why do you just go home and sit in the Star office then and listen to anyone's conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So maybe we could get some cafe background noise for our children and that would help them study a bit more and.
Speaker 1: Learn about the ground noises and they can sit in a real classroom with a classroom playlist on listen to a fake classroom whilst in a real classroom.
Speaker 2: You see how messeduff it sounds. Yeah, but that might help them focus on religion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like being my office like sorry, Like, yeah, you're still blown away. I'm blown away by this because it's like being in an office and listening to an office sound effects playlist. Yes, being in a real office with real office noises listening to a fake office.
Speaker 2: See, I told you, I said this. I had the same conversation to He was like, you just don't understand till you tried it. Okay, So I tried it. I was still like, in my head, I still felt weird as shit because I'm looking and there's people around me, but I just have like this background like clunk clunk clunkin like just noise of like a cafe, but I'm watching people. But all it does is drown out your conversations.
Speaker 1: But that would have me also a little bit on edge. And I'll tell you why, because I feel like if you can't hear the real sounds of what's going on, like, you could be in a dangerous situation. Imagine if someone came in, like armed or something. Imagine if something happened like or the fire alarm goes off or something something happens, and you're in your own little world, listening to your own make belief cafe. You're not knowing about the chaos that's happening in your own cafe because you can't hear it.
Speaker 2: Because I hope that, yeah, I was gonna say, I hope that your eyes would come up and look around and go, wow, that man's got a gun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I feel like i'd be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, those kids are running out of here. Maybe there's a fire. The positive is that in this playlist of cafe noise while sitting in a real cafe, there's no kids noises, like you know sometimes when you go into a cafe and you're like, whoa, those kids are wild, wild, I'm not going to get anything done here.
Speaker 1: They're not adding that to that place, not in that playlist.
Speaker 2: So you could put them in, put your noise canceling on, still see the kids having a full meltdown, but not hear them.
Speaker 1: La la la la la. Yeah yeah yeah yeah. So that's a positive. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But going back to religion, I just need to know did you round out like or give them a quick summary of your detailed knowledge of.
Speaker 1: No no of religion, and it's just reminded me of something that because we've touched on similar conversations in the past, but it just reminds me of the time that we went to a fancy dress party and I was describing to you because Jay dressed up as Jesus, and I was describing the costume to you, and then all of a sudden, my la grand and You're looking so confused, and you're like, well, did he have like a white beard and like, and I was like, you're not thinking of Jesus, You're thinking of center.
Speaker 2: I've never done one single subject of religion. I've never been to Sunday school. I barely step into a church unless it's for a particular event of my friend's child.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be religious person or someone that has done religious education at school to know the difference between Santa and Jesus. Everybody knows what Jesus looks like, do they