Speaker 1: From the sky in Center. This is Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for watching Happy Wednesday. Lots to get to this evening again. Congratulations to Sharry and her team. They are excellent shows. There'll be another one the same time tomorrow nights. Now, let's get straight to this cost of leaving number one issue in the country. One of the great concerns every parent or grandparent has is the kid going to be able to buy.
Speaker 1: A house one day?
Speaker 2: Did they talk about that today in Canberra? Pardon me, no, they did not. Instead, the federal government decided to waste our parliament's time by passing a law to guarantee that they won't sell the National Broadband Network. Now, you, of course have already spend tens of billions of dollars putting together a network that, yes, has absolutely improved the Internet capabilities of the country, but no.
Speaker 1: One was planning to sell it.
Speaker 2: This is like passing a piece of legislation to guarantee we call Tuesday's Tuesday. This was nothing but a distraction, nothing but a waste of time, and nothing but an opportunity for the Prime Minister to somehow be talking about something other than the multiple messes that he has created, presided over and made worse.
Speaker 3: We've introduced legislation into the House today that safeguards the future of the NBN, making sure it can't be private eyes, sold off or hollowed out because there's never been a public service or asset that the Liberal Party didn't want to carve up and sell off.
Speaker 2: That is what they.
Speaker 1: Do again, what who where? What?
Speaker 2: Policy like this is sort of MENI skip a pre medi scare campaign and again who amongst us is so particularly nervous about the ownership structure of the National Broadband Network. Of all of the issues for our parliament to be focused on today, this is what they decided to be focused on.
Speaker 1: I think this is a tremendous waste of time.
Speaker 2: Stephen Conroy is of course the man who made it all happen, that being the NBN. He's on the show with Brohmin Bishop tonight we will discuss that. For their point the opposition, well they called it out for what it is, a total waste of everyone's time today.
Speaker 4: It's an attempt to distract from the catastrophic failures from this government.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, there was also a lounder little bit of slight of hand that took place today, which is the Prime Minister wanted to turn up on the six pm news, particularly after the disgraceful slur that took place yesterday, when of course he was accusing members of the opposition of having turets, as if it was some sort of.
Speaker 1: A put down.
Speaker 2: Well, all of this fake legislation, and I say fake legislation and that who is calling for it?
Speaker 1: Who is what's the penalty? It's just rubbish.
Speaker 2: Also happened after Question Time was moved from two pm this afternoon to nine o'clock this morning. Now the reason is because at the Ovenez he wanted to appear on the six pm news tonight like he was working all day in Cambada day.
Speaker 1: But guess what he didn't.
Speaker 2: You see, he's off to the Asian Conference, the very important, very very desperately important, a meeting of Asian leaders discussing this, that and the other. So the reality is Airbus Lbow is up in the air again and he fiddled with the parliamentary calendar today to make it look like he was working when really he was kicking back on TOTO one. Immigration is too high in Australia because it has major impacts on all sorts of things. But put simply too many people when there are too few houses is a relentless theme that I go back to, because well, we all know what the consequences are of too few places to rent and not enough places to buy, too many people trying to compete for either, which means the price for all of it keeps going up.
Speaker 1: Up, up up.
Speaker 2: Well, today, our dear friends at the Australian Bureau Statistics, that far right wing organization, gave us an insight into again the giant gulf between the number of people that are coming into the country and the new homes or units that are being built to house the existing population, let alone the new one. Now the unsexy headline is building activity Australia. The sexy headline is the one that Channel nine threw in, which was the bleak truth about Australia's housing shortage as new build numbers hits a ten year low. Now that is all true. I'll go into some detail in a moment and show you some graphs. But remember when I talk about all of this.
Speaker 1: In just two.
Speaker 2: Of the almost three years of this government, almost a million people have been brought into the country. Now we learned today that what only about ten thousand were sort of mechanical focused people. The rest, of course students, the rest family reunion where mum's too old and the kids are too young to work, but they all need somewhere to live. Nine hundred and sixty four thousand, two hundred people in the past two years added to the existing twenty five and a bit twenty six now well total twenty seven million people, who of course are looking for a roof over their head as well. Now let me break this down for you. There are lots of ways of looking at this, but let's do it this way. So I want you to compare June twenty and sixteen to the current year and the latest numbers we got, which was June for twenty twenty four So building a house, okay. In twenty sixteen, twenty nine thou seven hundred and ninety houses were built. Other residential basically units twenty five, nine hundred and twenty nine. How does that look today? Well, houses twenty five thousand, that's down four thousand, but the number of units is down twelve thousand compared to this.
Speaker 1: Time last year.
Speaker 2: Now, this is the buildings that are being commenced. Okay, so everything that's started, there are fewer houses being built. There are fewer units being built. Again, to give you an idea of this, in the ten year cycle, you can see that the graphs, well, the top one is for houses, the other one is for other residential. You can see it ain't a pretty picture in terms of the homes that have actually been completed. Okay, the completed numbers again, Let's go back to twenty and sixteen, twenty nine, seven hundred and ninety houses had been finished rather at this point in time, and the units that had been completed was twenty one hundred and eighty seven.
Speaker 1: What do you reckon it is today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a ten year low because houses are down two and a half thousand, and the number of other residential that is being completed right now is nine and a half thousand. So when you look at the total number that have been completed is way down and the total amount that is being started is even lower, it means even fewer new homes, houses, units, villas, townhouses, granny flats.
Speaker 1: Or places for people to live.
Speaker 2: When the population is the highest that it has ever been and more than a million people have been added to that particular problem in the past twelve months. Oh but we're going to guarantee no one's going to sell the NBN and it'll look like question time didn't happen when I was in the air.
Speaker 1: This is how stupid they think people are.
Speaker 2: But we're not. We're on their tail and these numbers matter.
Speaker 1: Oh you may well have noticed.
Speaker 2: There was a massive seismic important event in Camber to day that had them just jumping off their chairs.
Speaker 5: And Senator Fatima Payman has launched a new political party.
Speaker 6: A Men's Handling of the conflict in Gaza spur Wa. Senator Fatima payment To quit the Labor Party in after and everyone.
Speaker 1: Today she announced her very own.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't care because she's not going to win a seat anywhere.
Speaker 1: I'll explain that in the moment or two his time.
Speaker 2: But of course the press conference was carried live, dutifully reported over and over and over and over and over again, as if her vote in the Senate matters, she'll always vote with the party who brung her Labor or the people. She's going to try to sit somewhere magically between, like sort of some sort of goldielocks, just right where she's not as left as the Greens, but she's not as right wing as Labor, and that's sort of the Goldilocks position.
Speaker 1: She turns around and says this today again dutifully. All the media, it's very big news. Are you covering this? Are you covering it?
Speaker 6: Australians are fed up with the major parties having a duopoly, a stranglehold over our democracy. If we need to drag the two major parties kicking and screaming to do what needs to be done, we will do it. There are some people who are so frightened to put a foot forward, to put a foot wrong, that they won't put a foot forward. This comment was made in nineteen eighty five and apply so much to the current Labor Party, who has lost its way.
Speaker 1: Who cares? Who cares?
Speaker 2: Okay, she is not the first person in Australian history to break up with a major party when she has not one, but like one in three quarter terms to serve in the Senate. Despite the fact that she will get nobody elected anywhere at the next federal election, she will still be part of our political conversation, like Lydia Thorpe until not this election, but then the one after that. Now, I have no doubt that she believes what she believes, and she has every right to break away from all of that stuff, right, But isn't it amazing how the media covers her dissension her new party as if it was something magical. If you and I wanted to start a political party, you'd need at least five hundred signatures. If you are already a member of the Federal Parliament. Guess what, you don't need any You, as a sitting member of Parliament, can just stand up, walk over there and tell them what the name of your new party is. That's why you have lots of different examples over many, many years of people breaking away from the party that brought them sitting there, pretending that they are representing a brand new political move, only for it to be flushed and become a trivia question because the reality of their political power is that Fatima Payman is lucky to be in the Senate. I don't say that because she is not fit and proper person, not because I don't understand the language of the youth or the issues that she's discussing. It's because literally, she was in a virtually unwinnable position on the Labor Party's ticket, but because the Labor Party vote was so good in Western Australia.
Speaker 1: She came with the party.
Speaker 2: And also I've got to say, I'm sorry, I just think it's a little bit rich that somebody who has been actively involved in party politics, as best as I can see, for only about five years, is wanting to start a movement because they've all lost their way. Now, technically speaking, this is only a couple of elections that we are talking about here. Now again, Fatima payment, good luck to hers. She is twenty nine years of age. That, by the way, is one year one year older than Albo's political career in the Federal Parliament, just so you know relative terms, right, She's born one year.
Speaker 1: He's elected the other.
Speaker 2: Fast forward twenty nine years, he's the Prime Minister, dear god, and she is now the leader of a brand new movement that didn't need a single other person to help her create.
Speaker 1: Now I had to look at it bio today.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, university university pharmacist, fine electorate officer from twenty nineteen. She was then a union worker and then of course up and into the parliament. Again, good luck to her, But what is it about the media covering her split from the Labor Party like, oh goodness me, we're going to head off to an election.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we're not.
Speaker 2: Also to get a spot in the Senate takes the best part of having to generate about fourteen percent of the vote. The person who was last on the bandwagon of a very long tale in Western Australia, I would suggest, is unlikely to be able to produce a quota in her own right when she goes for a re election, not at this election but the one after. Also the suggestion that well that her magical movement will somehow result in preference whispering that will get her the last Senate spot in every state. Now, this, of course, would only be possible if she doesn't just get the preferences of the Greens, which you imagine she would, but she'd never get the preferences from the Libs who won't give them to her, or the Labor Party who won't give them to her. And even if the Senate ballot paper is a kilometer long, there will not be enough fake options on the ballot or trojan horses on the ballot that I think will be able to produce what is required to actually become a senator. Now, one of the reasons people run for Senate is so you can have a.
Speaker 1: State wide appeal. But to actually get.
Speaker 2: There, you've got to have members that are paid up and proud volunteers that are willing to stand and hand out how to votes, not just at one polling booth, but virtually every polling booth, not just on election day, but for the multiple weeks before it. Now, again, good luck to her. She has every right under our system, no doubt. Plenty of people have their issues because she was of one party and broke away something else. But she ain't the first, she won't be the last. But the way the media selectively decides which senators who walk away from the party who brung them is rather interesting. What is their obsession with covering this lady? Jared Rednick is a Liberal senator, or was a Liberal senator until he lost pre election and then he left the Liberal Party. He too, was able to start his own political party. Was there throngs of cameras when he made this announcement? Was this in every six pm news bulletin? Could I see thought pieces everywhere when it happened?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Firstly, they don't like his politics. But secondly, just like the payment situation, with no disrespect to mister Renick has always been kind to me, it's not going to have a political consequence. It won't happen. Yes, they'll have a few thousand people on Twitter that are going to tell them you're about to change a world. Man, Well, Claide Palmer spent forty million dollars at the last election and he was able to get one senator up and otherwise two percent of the national vote. Good luck, miss Payment, because you're going to need more than just media profile. You're going to need actual members of your party, actual volunteers, actual money, actual policies. Not to mention, probably might need to change the name of the party from the thing. Sixty percent of Australians voted against, including in Western Australia. Now as we know, idiot Andrew Giles, the former Immigration Minister, is gladly the former Immigration minister because he was terrible at his job. But he was a mate of elbows and we couldn't get rid of that new government smell, so we had to pretend that he was moving into something else because.
Speaker 1: There was a reshuffle.
Speaker 2: The same with the Home Affairs Minister CLIs Claire O'Neil, who's a great performer and wonder great great performer, great performer. That of course is code for somebody who the media likes.
Speaker 1: Why did the media like people?
Speaker 2: Because they get spoken to by these people, both publicly and privately.
Speaker 1: That's just the way it works.
Speaker 2: Well, both of those people, as we know, shocking way that they handled the result of the High Court decision where people were let out of detention because one person was able to get a court to prove that you could now have indefinite attention. So rather than getting every single person who have to argue it, no, no, no, they all went out and you know there have been significant allegations of criminal matters that have followed since.
Speaker 1: But of course it's all a brand new broom now.
Speaker 2: Good performer, great performer, great great performer is Tony Burke. He is of course the Arts Minister. Oh yeah, and the Home Affairs minister. Sorry he is the Yeah, he's the Home Affairs minister. Right, he's the guys across all of this. He's the immigration man. He's the tough on the borders man. While also looking back and going oh look at the borderer on that art work, but still apparently two things can be true at the same time. Well, a question has been raised about somebody who has come in from Gaza. They came in urgently via the tourist visa system, a system that's been used by multiple governments multiple times. But still when we were told that security vetting was right and all the rest of it, the Liberal Party had a rather interesting question today. Of course, the question time that was done in the morning so you wouldn't notice the Prime minister had bugged off by the afternoon.
Speaker 4: The Albanezy government granted a visa to Fayes el Hassani, an individual the openly linked to terrorist organizations HAAMAS and Palestinian Islamic g HAD. In two thousand and nineteen, El Hassani reportedly hosted a summit of terror organization leaders, which he opened by stating, they must quote I quote confront the occupation by all possible means. Prime Minister, has the visa of this individual been canceled?
Speaker 2: Pretty simple question, right, Well, Tony Burt good performer, Good performer code for somebody who speaks to the media both publicly and privately, future leader, despite the fact that his actual support would be single digits and that's probably even in his own state. Well, this was his response, and you see he responds, and he plays four D chests differently than Andrew Giles and Clara O'Neil did. He just pretends the question doesn't matter.
Speaker 7: At any point we receive advice from our security agencies that a visa should be canceled.
Speaker 1: That is what will happen. That is what will happen.
Speaker 7: But this concept that shadow ministers should be the proxies for our security agencies is just a bizarre way to operate. Our security agencies work through the evidence that they have. They never stop collecting information, even after people are here, they never stop collecting information. And this government stands with full confidence in our security agencies.
Speaker 1: Now again, the people who were annoyed the.
Speaker 2: Good performance good performance have been affected by the failure to deal with iss issue in the past. Mostly many of those people in and around the press gallery hate watching us right now. The truth is the Tony Burk can't really do that. He can get away with it once or twice. But if this is the standard answer, which is, oh, I'm sorry, I'll deal with the security agencies, I won't deal with the question that's being asked by the opposition, were little only produce more questions from the opposition, which will of course mean you're going to say the same thing, which eventually is look like you're dodging something. And there are two people who were moved out of their positions because they tried the same trick.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work.
Speaker 2: It never works, it never will, no matter how good a performer they think you are. Now there's a huge news story coming out of the States in the past in the next couple of days, and nothing to do with politics. There is a massive hurricane which is making its way towards Florida. Now Category one lowest level, Category five, highest level.
Speaker 1: This is category five.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is mega, This is hardcore. This is going to kill people. Okay, a hurricane that was around last week has already killed about a couple of hundred people, and Florida is a place that's used to this stuff, but nothing as serious and as big as this. In fact, this is what the mayors are saying to people to make sure that they get out of dodge.
Speaker 8: And say, without any dramatization whatsoever, if you choose to stay in what are those evacuation areas you're.
Speaker 1: Going to die now.
Speaker 2: To give you an idea of what is about to take place, The expectation is that the water levels that are going to end up being brought in from the sea, that the storm surge is not going to be three feet, it's not going to be six, it's not going to be nine. It could end up eleven or maybe fifteen feet. Now we know that's big, but to actually see it before it happens is frightening.
Speaker 9: At three feet above normally dry ground water is already life threatening. It's too late to evacuate. Whatter this high can knock you off your feet, make cars float and driving impossible. The first floor of homes and businesses are flooded. Unfortunately, the water is expected to rise even higher at six feet above the height of most people. Vehicles get carried away, structure starts to fail.
Speaker 5: Just look at this.
Speaker 9: Anything could be in this water, sharp glass, three chemicals as well. The scary part is some areas could see served values at ten to fifteen feet, and this takes us up to nine. And look what it does at this level. The first floors of structures are completely flooded and there are a few places to a seat when the water rises this high.
Speaker 2: Now that's the American version of the Weather Channel. The sky News Weather Channel will be covering this in full detail tomorrow because about middle of the day tomorrow is when the expectation is that something is going to be taking place, which will be Wednesday in the United States, if not twenty four hours later. But keep an eye on channel six ZH one, which of course is the Weather Channel. Now, speaking of the back and forth that is around all of this, Kamala Harris, who of course has played no role in the emergency services because nobody says, get me the vice president, You say, get me the president when there is a hurricane, is of course running for president and trying to pretend that somehow she has some role here. Now people are very busy. You could see what the mistakes are. So when she's trying to pick a fight with the Florida Governor, Ron de Santis, I'm completely with the Florida governor who's telling her to go jump first, Harris trying to turn this into a blame the Republican story. You know, moments of crisis, if.
Speaker 10: Nothing else, should really be the moment that anyone who pass themselves a leader says they're going to put politics aside as.
Speaker 11: The people first.
Speaker 6: Pop aren't desperate need to support right now, and playing political games in this moment, in these priceless situations.
Speaker 9: These as the height of emergency.
Speaker 4: Situations, is just utterly irretonssible, and.
Speaker 9: It is selfish, and it is.
Speaker 6: About political gamesmanship. Is that of doing the job that you've something else to do, which is to put.
Speaker 2: The people for now, I'll be honest, pretty low right now. She does not have an actual role in all of this. The vice president is there to be the tiebreaker in the Senate, to be the backup should the president die before our eyes, which I think we have seen when it comes to this presonent, but then imagically kind of back to life and apparently is still in charge.
Speaker 1: So she's just a distraction.
Speaker 2: She ends up ringing Ronda Santis, and let's be honest, probably two rings, and quickly hung up so she could say that she rached out, but Rond de Santis was busy didn't answer his response.
Speaker 12: She has never called on any of the storms we've had since she's been vice president until apparently now, why all of a sudden is she trying to parachute in and inject herself when she's never shown any interest in the past. We know it's because of politics. We know it's because of her campaign. I have zero time to entertain these political games. We're going to continue to do what we need to do to prepare and respond to what may be one of the most damaging storms in the history of the United States. So she says, focusing on protecting your people.
Speaker 1: This selfish.
Speaker 12: I think she ought to look in the.
Speaker 2: Mirror middle stump like, honestly, she's not involved. She's ringing in order to have the fight, trying to turn a very red state into potentially a blue state because maybe some red voters won't be able to vote because literally their houses have been blown away.
Speaker 1: What a piece of work.
Speaker 2: Oh and by the way, while she's trying to pretend, oh, playing politics, and we can't possibly play politics, and it's really difficult and important time, while Floridians are preparing for a storm that we understand is expected to kill people. Did she cancel all of her events head to the situation room? Did she go to Florida herself? No, she went on a TV show, one of many today in New York City, she showed that this is what she's doing while other people are boarding up and leaving their houses. If a Republican did this, it'd be game over.
Speaker 5: As for Miller, Hilight, I'm just curious.
Speaker 6: Okay, the last time I had beer was at a baseball game with Dougs.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's like the beautiful city of Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: There you go, So that covers Wisconsin. What a fake?
Speaker 2: Firstly, it reminds me of when I went to the baseball with my husband.
Speaker 1: Really, but more importantly.
Speaker 2: Twenty four hours ago, she's prancing around pretending that that Ron de Santis is putting politics above country, and when people are literally fleeing their homes because of what you've just seen about how the water is going to be take all their property with it, all their photos with it, all their memories with it, and all of the other things are going to be destroyed, she doesn't cancel the appearance with the TV. No, No, she's got to do that. When the reality was, if she was actually feeding her about it, she'd say, I'll do that next week. In the meantime, I'll go to somewhere where I can maybe help somewhere, which, in my view, is to just go away, but we have to wait about a month for that to happen.
Speaker 1: Don't we quick break back with more here on Paul Murray Live. Now.
Speaker 2: A reminder, we've got an Ourtown coming up and it will be in a couple of Sundays time. If you would like to join us in Long Syston October twenty please send me an email our town at sky news dot com. Do are you our town at sky news dot com?
Speaker 1: That are you?
Speaker 2: And I've got another special announcement about another live show you can come to.
Speaker 1: But you've got to wait for that, all right, I've got ahead of himself again.
Speaker 2: Apologies about the voice. I don't know what's going on. Feel fine, It's just something's going on. I apologize.
Speaker 1: It must be great for everyone.
Speaker 2: Was listening to us on the radio right now with a hopefully deep and timbering voice. In the meantime, A reminder Our town twentieth of October. Okay, Sunday twentieth of October. If you'd like to join us in lon Sess then in Lonnie, please outtown. It's gonews dot com dot you ourtown. It's gonews dot com dot are you?
Speaker 1: And while you're at it.
Speaker 2: We've got a pub test coming up which will be part of our coverage of the Queensland election. It'll be in the final days before the Queensland election. Our special guest will be the Federal Opposition leader Peter Dutton.
Speaker 1: If you have a question you.
Speaker 2: Would like to ask him, please join us for a moment to be able to speak to him, not just about federal politics, state politics, how he feels in the polls, all the rest of it. Right, Peter Dutton will be our special guest there. That's going to be a couple of days later on the twenty third. So if you're in Queensland, if you're in brizzy, send me an email pub test It's Skynius dot com. Do are you so Queensland pubtest dot com? A you tazzy ourtown? That's sky News dot com dot au. Let's fill the joint right now now always here to help with Stephen Conroy and wow has he got something to talk about tonight with the NBN and fathom of payment and the carryover champ as always is the.
Speaker 1: Lovely bronmin Bishop.
Speaker 2: Hello love you so can we just very quickly start on the payment thing right? Because why is it that a person whose vote is never essentially going to block what the government wants to do, who starts a political party because she can. She's sitting MP, who's never going to be able to produce a quota to get into the Parliament, let alone lower House seats because the preferences of labor would be required and or the Libs would be required, and both obviously are not going to.
Speaker 1: Play that game.
Speaker 2: Why does the media give her the full six pm news treatment yet Jared Rennick, who again was in a position to do exactly the same thing, leave the party who brought him, launch his own party, no coverage.
Speaker 1: Geez, I wonder what it might be.
Speaker 2: But brommin, why are these two senators being treated differently?
Speaker 8: Because she was a dypick DEI pick, she wasn't expected to win. She was supposed to be the token on.
Speaker 2: Ticket, which she said herself and about how she felt in the.
Speaker 8: Party and flipped it in. She actually has won the lottery, she said, for six years, your squallions of dollars, the vote whisperer, the preference whisperers come along and whispered in her ear, or we can make you great, and so hence the name of the party, hence the attention today, and really does anybody care?
Speaker 1: No, they don't.
Speaker 2: But Stephen again, right now, your position is, hey, sorry, here's the deal. You came with our team. If you don't want to be a part of our team, bugger off. But I'll tell you what. It takes a set of stones when you've been active in politics for just five years to say the Liberal and Labor Party has lost its way, when she's only been a senator for less than, you know, a couple of years.
Speaker 1: But let's get to the bigger.
Speaker 2: Question, right, rather than just the you know, go her, you know labor rat stuff. Right, why does the media treat her invention of a party with multiple days and press conferences? Then again, Rennick, same part, same thing that happened in this parliament.
Speaker 11: Look, if I was being kind, I don't think the comparison with Rennick quite works. He quit formed his own party because he got rolled in pre selection. She quit allegedly on a matter of conscience. Whereas an apologies to you, Paul, she's a labor rat who should give a seatback and actually get out of parliament and stop being a coward and run on whatever her values are and we expect there to be a lot of scrutiny, a lot of questions. So the sort of pathetic press conference today, the even more pathetic seven point thirty report interview tonight exposes what a complete and us a coward.
Speaker 2: She is correct, right, but again and this is part of what she had to say today, which is basically look again, right, this is sort of party in name only, no membership, no policy, no idea. And I noticed on the front page of the OS tomorrow she's coppying it from some of the people pushing the voice, because of course she's naming the party Australia's Voice, which I think was rejected by the people of Western Australia.
Speaker 1: But have a look, what's the purpose of the party?
Speaker 6: Great, qush Tom. We're obviously launching the party today. The policy platform will come in time and I'm very excited to publicly announce them in due course.
Speaker 2: See, I just it's the game of it, Bromwin, It's the game, right. She doesn't have to have anything she considers an independent.
Speaker 8: She doesn't have to have a thought in the head. The bottom line is Senator Renick, he'll be gone after the next election. Where she's there till the election after this one, just like she's going to be sitting there as a vote, and heaven knows which way the Senate plays.
Speaker 1: I'll give you the tip.
Speaker 2: She'll always vote against the Libs, quite right. Whatever happens to be, be in opposition to or government, minority and majority in any form, she'll vote against them. Okay, Now, Stephen, the National Broadband Network, Okay, I happen to remember some spirited discussions at the time, when you remember of the Australian government. I was a little skeptical about whether this was the right thing to do.
Speaker 11: You know there was and now you know, now you know you were wrong. Now you know you're wrong. So I'm happy to know that.
Speaker 2: I just think we probably should have done a little bit more Wi Fi work rather than just the cable going to everyone's house.
Speaker 1: But okay, okay, I understand, all right, however.
Speaker 11: WI is table, Wi Fi is on cable coming off.
Speaker 8: Dick up my garden and my driveway to try and put that in, I've got.
Speaker 11: We wouldn't want we wouldn't want to damage your roses. We would here.
Speaker 2: Let me get to with this, all right, So, Stephen, I remember that one of the reasons why the NBN was a wonderful thing to build was because it was then an asset that potentially the government could sell. At one point in time, I have been sent and press releases put out by the then Communications Minister saying quote, Government committed to the sale of nbyan co. Today the Prime Minister rolls into the Parliament and says, we will pass the law not to sell what no one was planning to sell. What do you think of them passing the law to reverse the original idea of building the bloody theme.
Speaker 11: Well, look, I'm familiar with what goes on in the background of the telecommunication sector. That'll come as a surprise to you, Paul. But there are, believe it or not, a bunch of companies out there you can name your own names at this point who would prefer to buy the NBN so they can recreate the sort of monopoly. But didn't you want to sell perhaps had in the past, Now we would look at it. I'm very happy and very excited that we are now opposing it. Okay, where I am I am happy to put my hand up and say categorically I am happy with this announcement. Absolutely, one hundred and fifty percent happy that we've decided to lock it in so that unfortunately the person you voted to make Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, completely and utterly stuffed the NBN plenty of stuff. That's Malcolm Turnbull. Malcolm Turnbull was wrong and every over the thing he did. But according to Win and let me do.
Speaker 1: Got right. Let me do a little bit of follow up here.
Speaker 2: All right again, I am looking at a press release that has been said to me.
Speaker 1: Now, if it's Ai, please tell me. I don't know the.
Speaker 2: Date government committed to the sale of nby inco.
Speaker 1: I could read it.
Speaker 2: Back to you, but I love you and I'm not going to. So the position has changed. What I mean you you were committed to the Sun Now you love the idea that.
Speaker 1: That that it's not being sold.
Speaker 11: Well, I think Malcolm Turnbull ever, irretrievably broke it for the next handed.
Speaker 2: Over fore and he turned it into a feat I get it.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying.
Speaker 8: There's another right here, the government. This is the government. It says it's not going to sell something that was never going to be sold. But it's perfectly happy that the generators of the liberals of electricity could be sold so that they could get along with the government and have oligopoly.
Speaker 2: But you can't. You can't from.
Speaker 8: The idea that the Liberal Party is going to build new power stations of the government will own them.
Speaker 2: Because I love Steve and I'm not reading from this press release, but jeez.
Speaker 1: I'm fighting.
Speaker 2: I'm fighting all my TV instincts to go for the kill.
Speaker 1: But I like him. I like him, and if he was still part.
Speaker 2: Of the Senate, I'll give you the tip gloves off, still boots on, because he's part of our family.
Speaker 1: Will move on, all right.
Speaker 11: I'm just here to help help and our mate.
Speaker 1: And how all right?
Speaker 2: So Prime Minister gave an interview today to my mate here and Gilbert and look, a lot of people understandably have had plenty to say about the positions on us Israel. Let's get to something else here, right, which is what happens after the next election. Labor MP is apparently told by the Prime Minister, but forgive all this minority business.
Speaker 1: We're not just going to win.
Speaker 2: We're going to keep our majority, potentially grow our majority.
Speaker 1: But if we happen to.
Speaker 2: Fall a couple of seats short, no deals with the Greens. Of course this is said again in interviews, But of course the deals aren't assigned deals. The deals us the promise to have supply and also to make sure that you wouldn't get rolled on a no confidence motion.
Speaker 1: But again, is the.
Speaker 10: Being absolutely I ruled that out. I'm the only candidate for prime minister seeking a government in our own right, and there'll be no deals with the Greens. I want a majority Labor government and the best way that that can be achieved is by people voting Labor in the election when it's held.
Speaker 2: Is as Ricky Gervais would say, is he having a laugh?
Speaker 1: Is he having a laugh?
Speaker 2: The concept of the concept of a majority government being the aim, the.
Speaker 8: Concept of him being in a parliamentary system and saying I am the only leader who is looking for an absolute majority.
Speaker 1: Make what Greens are?
Speaker 8: Excuse me, this is the name of the game. You also needing a party that you want to win and be the prime minister?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Correct, imagine I hear my declare three seats is our dream?
Speaker 1: Three?
Speaker 8: I think he's been taking lessons from Kamala. I'm just about the only thing missing from that interview was I grew up in a House and Commission House and I had.
Speaker 2: A tough time and we loved our lawn absolutely. But again, Stephen right, all the data right now that basically shows if the Labor Party falls from where it was at the last election by one two points, then its capacity to hold on to the seventy eighth, the seventy seventh and the seventy sixth seat that they currently own mathematically falls away. Yet the Prime Minister says, despite the fact that every statistical indication is that they have not grown since the last election in terms of where they sit today, is he just you know, know, reving up the troops going into the fourth quarter of a losing Grand final.
Speaker 1: What's going on here?
Speaker 11: Well, we'll just give you the alternative speech in the Liberal Coalition party room where Peter Dutton didn't walk in.
Speaker 1: So we've got the jersey on.
Speaker 11: We can't win, but where are we are? We're just going to give it a red hot, but.
Speaker 1: We know we can't win. Press.
Speaker 11: All leaders have to tell their parliamentary parties days like today in their caucus and party room meetings they're going to win their own right. That is just it's like mandatory. If you say anything else, you know the story Albo shows you can't win. So everyone has to say that in terms of the most important message. And I think it's seared in Albow's memory because we were in cabinet together when this happens. The decision to hold a press conference there in the courtyard piece of paper sign a deal with Bob Brown was a disastrously bad one for the Gillard governments.
Speaker 1: So we'll just have one. It'll be hostage.
Speaker 11: No, no, it's a question of the governor General. Requires you to be able to demonstrate party that you have confidence and then you just horse trade. No difference to horse trading in the Senate. What we had to horse trade rubbish. The House of represented twenty ten and twenty. I don't know.
Speaker 8: The people in the House who don't even get elected unless they get the preferences from the Greens, and the question is asked, they are such vile people that they should go last on your ticket.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, I'm with you there. Thank you, guys. We're out of time. We'll do it in next week. That was fun, Steven, check your phone. I sent an old press release. All right, quick breakback.
Speaker 1: We're more. Meghan Kelly next, our favorite person.
Speaker 2: Who talk to her in the world is not on the Wonderful Meghan Kelly, and there's so much to talk to her about the Megan Kelly Show on Serious XCM YouTube or podcast Rockstar.
Speaker 1: Nice to talk to You.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris has discovered that it's okay to do interviews now. Most of them are incredibly soft. Some of them are kind of soft. But I want to ask before we get into the view in sixty minutes and Howard Stern and Colbert.
Speaker 1: Why is she doing this now? I thought she was winning.
Speaker 5: Clearly, there's been some bad news in the internal polling. And while today there was a New York Times Siena Paul that showed her three points up in the national vote over Donald Trump, that's only anecdotal. What she needs to do is get up above him by some significant margin in the swing states, and it just isn't happening. And just as that New York Times Sienna Pole hits, another yugav Pole hit as well saying that Trump is up. So what it tells me is that something told her in the internal polling it's not going well and she needed a strategy shift. Otherwise she would not be changing strategy with thirty days to go until the election. You only do that if you expect to lose.
Speaker 3: So she has.
Speaker 5: Seen something that we haven't seen that probably is rather dramatic because they are taking a huge risk putting her out and also her buddy, Governor Pinocchio, who can't go two minutes without telling another lie. So we'll see whether it changes her numbers at all. But it's really late in the game to be making this biggest shift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's also, as you know, a couple of stipe poles that have popped up tonight, which is starting to show Trump in front in the places that are considered to be the absolute mast beginning of the ween Blue Wolf sites of Michigan, Wold, Wisconsin, and in Pennsylvania. Now about the actual interviews, I heard what you had to say today that the sixty minutes conversation was the more polite of the conversations that sixty minutes would normally have with a political candidate. But at the very least there was some pushback, and even then she fumbles the ball.
Speaker 5: I mean, I give Bill Whittaker credit for at least trying on immigration, but net he wound up the thinnest kid at fat camp like, it's not a really great accomplishment. He that was it. That's really He pressed her on the economy a little, and he pressed her legitimately on immigration so good, and on every other exchange. He fell down on the job. I mean, he had questions, like you say, based on the following three or four things that Trump is a racist go on?
Speaker 1: It was like, what.
Speaker 5: It was so obvious, right? And then in the sixty minutes extra, which is the outtakes that didn't and just some of them, not all of them, God forbid they show us the whole thing because she'd looked like a drooling mess. They of course cleaned up her transcript, but in some of the outtakes that they posted, he does get into the coup right that Joe Biden went down and she was elevated and she took over this role. And I'm like, great, this is where he's going to ask her about the fact that this a has been utterly undemocratic and b resulted after she lied to us all for years about his mental acuity. What did she know? When did she know it? Why did she look us in the eye and tell us that he was absolutely fine when we both have her on the record now and him on the record saying they made every decision together, They did every law together. She was an integral part of all of the big administration decisions, so she.
Speaker 8: Was with him.
Speaker 5: She was with him a lot, so she would have seen. Nope, it wasn't asked, he didn't touch on it. All he asked was, well, do you think that's why people feel like they don't know you because there wasn't a more robust process behind your elevation? Oh what a fail. And it was just time and time again where she started giving answers like she was at a deposition. Now, I'm a lawyer. She's a lawyer, and these answers to me at first sounded normal because I spent ten years taking depositions and doing cross examinations. And when someone says I'm not going to answer as a hypothetical, that's a totally normal, common answer. In a deposition where you're across from an adversary who hates you and is suing you or your client, this is not a deposition. It is an interview in which she is asking us on whose behalf the questioner is there to hire her for the most important job in the world.
Speaker 1: I won't answer.
Speaker 5: A hypothetical is an absurd answer, and you know where she invoked it every single time. It was foreign policy, because she's a no nothing. She didn't know what to say when he asked her about China. When he asked her about Ukraine, she didn't. She danced, danced and danced. She didn't know what to say. When he asked her about Israel. She like every major conflict, she seemed completely flat footed and a little clueless, like she was waiting for someone in her special little EarPods to give her the answer. I realized this is an internet conspiracy theory, but it's kind of a fun one. And the answer didn't come, so she just went with hypothetical. Not gonna answer hypothetical. Well, guess what, we're entitled to the answer, she didn't give it. We used to ask that question all the time at presidential debates. Totally fair game. She didn't answer because she can't.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you want to know anyone, then Megan Kittley has ever done a deposition on They're currently still in the fatal position and crying in fifty states that you can find them all now on some of the softest stuff ro I'll tell you quick.
Speaker 1: Story, Paul. Sorry.
Speaker 5: And I was taking my depositions, and it would nine times out of ten to be a man I was opposed from opposing council, and they would start to get aggravated, you know, whatever I was doing, whether I was doing the questioning or whether I was doing the defending. And instead of getting progressively upset like I would when I was a very young atter, when I got older, I learned to go the other way and to get calmer, and to look at these guys and just say, you see him upset. Do you need a break? Do you need to step outside? Come back after you've collected yourself. It was so fun is to drive them insane?
Speaker 3: I missed that.
Speaker 2: Just turn into the ice the ice cold steamroller.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, fantastic.
Speaker 2: Now on some of the softer interviews, now we know why all of this is there. It's for her to seem more likable than she actually is. It's not about an intelligence test. But she even then stuffs it up. On the view she's asked by the most left wing host, is there anything you would do different than Joe Biden's done in the past four years? Her answer no, So now she doubles down, and she owns every mistake and the very reason why people wanted to punt him by ten points.
Speaker 5: Her campaign slogan is we can't go back. That's her whole campaign slogan, we can't go back. And the reason The New York Times reported today that it showed her making a little bit of headway on its poll, which a month ago had Trump up one but now has her up three. So it's a four point swing in her favor is because the voters are trying to see starting to see her as the change candidate, as.
Speaker 3: The one who will bring real change to.
Speaker 5: The policies of the past few years.
Speaker 8: What does she do?
Speaker 5: She goes out and says, I'm exactly like Joe Biden. Everything he did I was a part of my blessed I worked on. Yes, I see no difference between us other than his name is Joe Biden and mine isn't. I mean, that's really how she answered the question. You almost have to feel for her campaign staff, which is in the back room going like, oh my god, does anyone have any bourbon? And then of course they're like, it's in Comma's purse. It's right over there.
Speaker 1: The Ultimate Big and kille Chat. Thank you Mitt.
Speaker 5: Great to see your policy next week.
Speaker 10: Didn't keep