Speaker 1: From the Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. Sherlock Holmes, the famous pipe smoking uber detective, is back, but with a twist in. Young Sherlock Holmes has been given the Guy Ritchie treatment, all British action hero with fast cuts and gritty fight scenes. In the lead is Hero Finds Tiffin. He plays a young Sherlock Holmes at Oxford, long before he's set foot on Baker Street. Sherlock Holmes has been adapted for film and television more than any other human character, from Basil Rathbone to Will Ferrell, Bennedic Cumberbatch to Robert Downey Jr. So is there really an appetite for another Sherlock? And what is there left to say? Anyway? Joining me today is The Australian's Gisell Bwetti, who's written about young Sherlock for The Australian's Culture section.
Speaker 2: My name is Sherlock Holmes. I've always been more of a thinker than the fighter.
Speaker 3: The two aren't mutually exclusively as an act.
Speaker 2: The feeding as not to war Lactually that's stealing. Those days are really behind me. I'm in Oxford now, you have to promise me surly anything. Mother. Today, out of trouble.
Speaker 4: Shelock Holmes, James Moriarty, Sherlock is speaking friends.
Speaker 1: Sherlock Holmes is back for a new generation. And today I'm joined by the Australians in house. Sherlock Holmes expert who also happens to be our audience lead.
Speaker 2: Giselle, Betty Gazelle. Who is that playing Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 5: That's Hero Fine Stiffen. He comes from a pretty prominent family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course Ray Finds. Joseph Fines.
Speaker 1: Ray Finds played most famously, of course, Voldemort in the Harry Potter series, and that's where Hero got his start too.
Speaker 6: Yes, he played the young Tom Riddle as an eleven year old.
Speaker 7: I can make things move without touching them. I can make animals do I want without training them. I can make bad things happen to people who mean to me, can meet.
Speaker 6: Them hurt.
Speaker 1: If I want a very chilling scene, I remember when he encounters the magical world. He doesn't quite understand his own powers. He's absolutely terrifying, even at the age of eleven.
Speaker 6: Yes, he's got the sinister stare down pat which I feel like he's going to use that in the new series.
Speaker 2: And so what sort of Sherlock Holmes is? He? Is he scary?
Speaker 6: H He's not necessarily scary. He's a bit mischievous, very charming. He's got that charm, the wit that Benedictkomabatch has, and he's also got the strength, the grit and the physicality of Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are some of the actors who've played Sherlock Holmes in the past much adapted character. Why are we still adapting Sherlock Holmes more than one hundred years after he was created?
Speaker 6: I think that people resonate with Sherlock because he uses his intelligence in chaos to find the truth, which is something that we all want to do. And each of the versions we've seen of Sherlock reflects the time.
Speaker 1: Yes, Benedict Cumberbatch played Sherlock Holmes a few years ago, probably in the most recent adaptation that I saw, and that was very much in the sort of shadow of the Afghanistan War. It was in a pretty dark, gritty, modern London, wasn't it. What was Benedict Cumberbatch's adaptation?
Speaker 6: Like he showed us the modern version of Sherlock. How Sherlock Holmes could survive in a technical era.
Speaker 1: Let's play a little bit of Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes. You're the second person to say that to me today.
Speaker 5: Who was the first?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Foreh just in sixty seven? Natural causes used to work here.
Speaker 5: I knew him.
Speaker 2: He was nice. Fine, we'll start with the riding crop. So bad day, was it?
Speaker 8: I need to know what Bruce's form in the next twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: A man's alibi depends on it.
Speaker 4: Text me listen, I was wondering maybe later when you're finished lipstick. You wear lipstick before I I refreshed it to pit.
Speaker 2: Sorry you were saying. I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee black two shutters, please have the upstairs.
Speaker 1: That is a very modern Sherlock homes. But he's pretty cold, isn't He's not? He's not giving a lot of warm away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he has a lot of attitude.
Speaker 6: And also he reintroduced Sherlock Holmes to new generation of viewers.
Speaker 2: His sidekicked.
Speaker 1: Doctor Watson was played by Martin Freeman, famous for, of course, the movie The Hobbit and millions of other productions. Including four weddings and a funeral, and his nemesis Moriarty was played by Andrew Scott Yes, also known as the Hot Priest.
Speaker 2: He was terrifying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he did such a good job of the mind manipulation, that little crazy look in his eye, but also with still that wit and charm.
Speaker 3: Okay, how do you feel about the violin?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 8: What I played the violin when I'm thinking? Sometimes I talk with days On and with that boy, the potential plantmate should know the worst about each other.
Speaker 1: So they're talking about the violin and Sherlock's hobby. I guess there's another aspect of his genius that harks back to one of the really earliest adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Who was that Basil Rathbone. He played Sherlock in the nineteen thirties and I think was in fourteen films of Sherlock Holmes. He is the epitome of Sherlock. He made the deer stalker hat famous as well as the pipe, and he also had that gentleman charm of the old days.
Speaker 2: Let's see a little bit of that.
Speaker 3: I trust I don't come in opportunita, My dear fellows, if you ever could come on, pull up a chair.
Speaker 1: Does the modern Sherlock Holmes in the new series play the violin.
Speaker 5: Not that we've seen so far.
Speaker 6: He's more into fighting like the Robert Downey junior version, but he's very He's not there yet. Moriarty is currently better than him. But it's cool because you get to see the formation of where he learned to fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so tell me what are we learning about him? What's the setup?
Speaker 6: So in the first episode we see him at Oxford where he meets James Moriarty and they actually become friends.
Speaker 2: And is Dr Watson in there as a character a young not.
Speaker 6: Yet, but we do see Colin Firth make an appearance as one of the professors.
Speaker 2: Ah, some British acting royalty there.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, it's a very stellar cast.
Speaker 1: And it's a you know, the ultimate English part, really, isn't it with the Irish nemesis in Moriarty. Having Robert Downey Junior play Sherlock Holmes was a revolutionary choice from a memory. He did a pretty bad English accent.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah he did. He was definitely a more rough version of Sherlock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's play a little bit of Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 8: M Hey, mister Lewis, isn't one case that intrigues me at present? The curious case is Missus Hudson the absent tee Landlady. I've been studying the cummings and goings, the almost.
Speaker 5: Tea.
Speaker 2: Mister Holmes, is it poisoned?
Speaker 3: Nanny?
Speaker 2: There's enough of that a new or don't touch everything.
Speaker 8: That's in this proper place as per usual, Nanny, I.
Speaker 2: Just killed the dog again?
Speaker 6: What have you done to Gladstone? Now?
Speaker 8: I was simply testing a new anesthetic.
Speaker 2: Just know that was Jude Law alongside Robert Downey.
Speaker 6: Jeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very good chemistry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is that your personal favorite?
Speaker 6: Well, one of the things I love about this one is when he does the fight scenes, they like pull it out and you get to see him calculate every move, which, yeah, is really interesting.
Speaker 2: So young Sherlock is in origin story.
Speaker 1: It's where we start getting to know Sherlock Holmes, and he's going to acquire all those characteristics of grumpiness and disorganization and maybe some neurodivergence that we've seen in future adaptations. Who is the person who Hero finds Tiffan makes out of Sherlock.
Speaker 2: What sort of kid is he?
Speaker 6: One of the things he mentioned in the interview was that he was nervous about playing with his uncle Joseph Finn, and he thought he was doing a really good job, but then when he got to those scenes, he got really nervous and wasn't sure if he was second guessing himself. And I think that's kind of reflected in the character that he plays, where it's like he has the skills, he knows what he's doing, but he just hasn't got.
Speaker 5: The confidence yet.
Speaker 2: Who does Joseph Fines play?
Speaker 5: He plays his father.
Speaker 2: It's funny to think of him having parents.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, yeah, and it adds that extra layer. I suppose we also get to find out little bits about his siblings as.
Speaker 1: Well, coming up when Sherlock Holmes's world collides with Guy Ritchie's. The series is created by Guy Ritchie, who really reinvented British cinema in the nineteen nineties. He created a very distinctive, very kind of cool action slash crime heist movie style, I guess in Lockstock and Two Smoking Barrels and then Snatch also created a whole new generation of British stars what's his influence on this series? Do you think it's definitely action packed?
Speaker 6: But I have only seen the first few episodes, and Hero did say that it does start to get a bit more serious and emotional.
Speaker 5: Guy Ritchie told Hero to keep.
Speaker 6: The emotions under control and to lean more into, like the theatrics full side of it, so that when those big emotional scenes did come up, it was more jarring because you're not expecting it, because it's been up here the whole time, and then all of a sudden, it's, oh, this.
Speaker 5: Is really deep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about the kind of emotional side of Sherlock Holmes. He is simultaneously as a character, very perceptive, obviously, but also quite dense. He misses things that are happening right in front of him. That's an intriguing kind of character to plays and to write.
Speaker 6: So Jeremy Bratt, who played Sherlock in the nineteen eighties TV series, his version was a lot more psychological. It showed that the complexity to his mind, and he almost has that depressive feel to it. He may be this really intelligent genius, but you know he's got emotions too.
Speaker 3: What do the public? The great and observant public. You can have to tell her we are by his tooth and I I'm positive by his left dumb tell about the finest shades of analysis a deduction.
Speaker 1: Audiences have huge appetite for mysteries, don't they. You're an audience lead here at The Australian, so you spend a lot of your time minutely analyzing exactly what audiences are into. What do you see in their kind of interesting crime and as big kind of crime stories washed through the news cycle, what do you see the audience kind of leaning towards them?
Speaker 2: What do you think is behind that fascination that we have.
Speaker 6: There's so much chaos in the world and we're all just trying to make sense of that chaos and understand it it a bit better, And like especially the way that Sherlock makes sense of the chaos of the confusion.
Speaker 5: At a time when you know we're all a bit confused, it's.
Speaker 6: Nice to have someone to look to that to make us believe that we can kind of make sense of it. All that finding the truth and understanding the truth and how to get to the truth.
Speaker 2: Who's your favorite ever, Sherlock homes I.
Speaker 6: Did like Benedict com of Bachelor's version, just like a lot of millennials. Yeah, yeah, he's just got something about him, you know. But I also liked Johnny Lee Miller, who played Sherlock in Elementary, which was in twenty nineteen. I believe it was a different, very very different take. He was like a drug addicts, tattoos everywhere. It played more on the psychological thriller part, which I like.
Speaker 2: Who do you think he's going to find?
Speaker 5: Hero?
Speaker 2: Find Stiff and their favorite Sherlock Homes. Is he aimed at really young people or or not?
Speaker 6: The Sherlock fandom is so big and spans over so many different age groups as well that I think, no matter what, people will want to tune in just to see what's what was Sherlock like as a young boy.
Speaker 1: In a lot of the adaptations, particularly that Benedictkumabatchewan, we've seen attempts to modernize Sherlock Homes bring him into the modern world. This is very much taking him back even before the Arthur Conan Doyle story, So seeing him as a teenager essentially in the eighteen sixties and eighteen seventies, that's an interesting choice for a show that really does need to connect with a new generation.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yes, definitely. I think that.
Speaker 6: At the moment, younger people in particular were very emotionally vulnerable. Looking at Sherlock as a young person, he's very emotionally vulnerable and he's not that character that knows the answer to everything. He will be one day, but he's getting there, and I think that's very reflective of young people at the moment. We are more in touch with our emotions. I say that I agree with that, and more open to understanding where our traumas come from. And I think this is what's really interesting about this show is that we get to see where Sherlock's traumas came from.
Speaker 2: She's Elbwitty. Thank you very much for joining me.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Young Sherlock is streaming now on Amazon Prime in Australia. She's Elbwetti is a journalist at The Australian. You can read her feature on Young Sherlock at the Australian dot com dot a u slash culture. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey. It was produced by Jasper Leik and edited by Josh Burton. Thanks for joining us on the front This week. Our team also includes Kristen Amiot, Leah Tamaglu and Tiffany Dimack.