Speaker 1: From Schwartz Media. I'm Ruby Jones. This is seven am. When Malcolm Turnbull was Prime Minister, he made a call that made the then President of the United States very very angry. Donald Trump called it the worst call he'd had all day, a killer, crazy and disgusting. But Turnbull argues that making Trump mad and saying things he didn't want to hear is the only way to deal with him. Now, as Australia faces the prospect of a second Trump term, Turnbull says our Prime Minister's willingness to face off with the president could make the difference on everything from the economy to our security. Today. Former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull on how he forged a relationship with Donald Trump and what Anthony Albanezi needs to know if Trump wins again. It's Tuesday, October twenty two, So Malcolm, as we speak, there are just fifteen days to the US election. There is every chance that we will see a returning President Trump. When he came to power the first time, so in twenty sixteen, you were the Prime minister. Tell me about your very first conversation with him.
Speaker 2: Well, the first substantive conversation I had with him was a blazing raw. And that was shortly after he'd been inaugurated in January twenty seventeen, and he was in a towering rage because well, I mean, the issue was the deal I'd done with Barack Obama to resettle in the United States a number of people who had been detained.
Speaker 3: On Manas Island and Nauru.
Speaker 2: We'd had every indication that that deal was going to continue to be honored. But then shortly before the call, Mike Pence rang truly Bishop and General Flynn rang Justin Bassey, who was my National security advisor in my office, and said the deals off. Prime Minister shouldn't race it with the President. He's not going to do it. It's over.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I did raise it and I insisted that the United States should honor it, and Trump was furious about it and raged and raved. Much of the transcript is in the public domain. It was leaked at some point by someone in the White House, I assumed to the Washington Post.
Speaker 4: We had one instance in Australia. Have a lot of respect for Australia. I love Australia as a country, but we had a problem where.
Speaker 2: It was one of those furious conversations that started off with noway, Jose and ended up with yes, but I hate you. He actually said it was the worst call he'd had all day.
Speaker 4: More than that, And I said, why why are we doing this? What's the purpose? So we'll see what happens. But you know, a previous administration does something, you have to respect that. But you can also say, why are we doing this? That's why we're in the James.
Speaker 2: My proposition was, we have a deal. You're like you know, you're like a new CEO. You take over the company.
Speaker 3: You think your.
Speaker 2: Predecessor has done some dud deals. You can complain about them, but you've got on of them. And so my proposition simply was America's words should be its bond, simple as that.
Speaker 1: As he became angrier on that call, did you at any point doubt that that was the right approach?
Speaker 3: No, I never had any doubt it was the right approach.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure that I wasn't sure that we we'd get to a yes, because he was pretty pissed off, to say the least. But the reality is if you give in to bullies, you just get more bullying.
Speaker 1: And so this negotiation over the resettling of asylum seekers to the US. That is not the only time that you dealt with Trump. Can you tell me a bit more about what you've seen up close in person with him that you think that the public or the media miss when it comes to the way that he thinks about power.
Speaker 2: Well, with Trump, what you see is what you get, you know, I mean, he's a guy that says the quiet bits out loud. The problem is that most people are scared of him, right, you know. The advice from you know, all of the want to be Trump whisperers, most of them have no real insight or experience at all about it is oh, you know, flattering talk about golf. Suck up to him, you know, all this stuff, and that way you won't get what you want. I mean, you'll get what he wants. Now, the critical thing is to be prepared to stand up to him, but also to recognize that he can be intelligently transactional. The other big issue he had, the only other contentious issue we had during my time was when Trump was seeking to impose very big tariffs twenty five percent tariffs on steel imports and ten percent tariffs on aluminium imports. Now Australia does export steel and aluminium to the United States, and I was very concerned that those tariffs.
Speaker 3: Not apply to US. Now there, of course, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Have the ability to say, well, I've got a done deal, you've got to stick to it.
Speaker 3: I had to persuade him.
Speaker 2: Now, the thing about Trump is the only decision maker in the Trump White House was Donald Trump. So you know, ambassadors and officials and advisors are much less relevant than they are in a more conventional administration. You know, in the case of the tariffs, Trump's advisors were all against doing the deal that I wanted to do it with him, But I managed to persuade him that it was in his interest not to impose those tariffs on Australia. And very intelligent, rational, transactional discussion. I mean, that was certainly wasn't you know, making a big issue out of one hundred years of matship and you know, all of the sentimental stuff that people always talk about on public occasions. It was very much a business discussion about numbers and economics, and he was intelligently transactional, would be the best way I could describe it.
Speaker 1: It seems like he was also aware that you had at one point represented someone who he considered a friend, Kerry Packer. Do you think that that had anything to do with it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd never dealt with him, and he'd never dealt with me, but he he knew a bit about me by reputation, or so he said. In fact, every time I met him, pretty much he said to somebody who was there, you know, Malcolm's the best lawyer in the world. He kept my friend Kerry Packer out of jail. Became a bit of a stink actually, to be honest, like he is a performer. And I would say, well, very kind, Donald, but you know Kerry was innocent, to which he would say, oh no, he was.
Speaker 3: He was so guilty he deserved to go to jail forever.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm sure he didn't believe that I thought, but it was just it became a routine. But I think, you know, I think I had a reputation for being a tough negotiator, good lawyer.
Speaker 3: That none of that hurts.
Speaker 1: And when you say, though, that you know Trump was willing to do deals that were in his interest, I mean, how key is that in dealing with troubal Totally?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you wanted to get a deal done with Trump. You've got to persuade him that it's in his interest to do the deal. I mean, this is not a sentimental guy, right. What's his slogan, America First, and that means Donald Trump first.
Speaker 1: Coming up after the break? What Donald Trump first means for Australia's security. So, Malcolm, how do you think a second Trump presidency would differ from the first.
Speaker 2: Well, he'll be much better organized, right, he didn't expect to win last time. He's now got a lot of people who want to execute a very radical agenda. He will still be the chaotic, erratic personality is I mean, you've only got to listen to one of his speeches to see what he's like. But the fact is he will hit the ground running and he will believe that he can walk on water. If he wins, and you know many people think he will, it will be one of the biggest political comebacks ever. I think globally, he wants to impose a big tariff. Started off at ten days talking about it. Twenty percent tariff on all imports into the United States. That is going to put a break on trade, and even higher tariff, sixty percent tariff on all imports from China in terms of our region and China Taiwan, for example. Whereas Biden has said he would definitely know America would defend Taiwan, Trump has not said anything of the sort. In fact, he's questioned why America would Should the US help defend Taiwan if it means going to war with China.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't want to say it because if I'm in the position of president, I don't want to say what I'm thinking. You know, I just if I answer that question, it will put me in a very bad negotiating position.
Speaker 2: With that being said, there's a lot of mixed messages there, you know, But the big message for us is that we have to The only people we can really count on to defend Australia are ourselves. You know, we had a program to build submarines in Australia, ourselves. Morrison canceled that in favor of the Orcus plan. Albanesi has gone along with that. It now looks more likely than not that we'll never get any submarines at all, certainly won't get any American submarines. Yet we're providing the Americans for the big submarine base.
Speaker 3: Maybe is that a good thing. I guess it's a good thing. But what that.
Speaker 2: Means is critical decisions about Australia's defense and not being taken in Canberra.
Speaker 3: They're being taken in Washington, you know.
Speaker 2: And we've effectively had a over the Morrison and Albanesi governments, a very significant diminution in our sovereignty and autonomy right at a time when we need it most.
Speaker 1: What do you suggest can be done then, though, Because I mean maybe UCAST is a bad deal, but it is a done deal, so you know, we're stuck with it.
Speaker 2: So when you say Lance was a done deal too, right, But.
Speaker 1: When you say that we need to put ourselves first, Australia needs to itself first, what does that actually mean?
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think for a start, I think we're Well, what it means is we've got to be able to have the capabilities to defend Australia which are genuinely sovereign. That is to say, they can be sustained, maintained and directed by Australia.
Speaker 3: That's that That's what we need.
Speaker 2: And now we find out much more about what's going on with aucas out of releases in Washington, when we ever do from what's said in Canada.
Speaker 3: You know, we're just you know.
Speaker 2: Part of the problem, of course, is that it's a coalition policy the Labor Party adopted. So when both sides of politics agree on something, then who's holding them to account?
Speaker 1: And what about Donald Trump's influence on Australian political life, I mean, in particular, Opposition leader Peter Dutton has been accused of of weaponizing division in a similar way to Trump, particularly when it comes to something like immigration policy. So do you see shades of Trump's political rhetoric in your former party?
Speaker 2: Well, look, people have been weaponizing immigration issues in Australian politics for well over one hundred years. I don't think Peter Dutton's stumbled on something new. But their trump populist style has got a lot of imitators around the world. You know, you see them in Europe, you see them, you know Bolsonaro in Brazil. And of course Trump is operating nowadays in a right way media ecosystem, of which the Murdoch media is probably the largest single part, not the only part, but Fox News, Sky News and Australia Murdoch Tabloid's very very similar playbook, and.
Speaker 3: So Trumpy tactics and rhetoric.
Speaker 2: And so forth are being copied right around the world, and they admire him because he's able to get away with it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you have dealt with Trump successfully as Prime Minister. As you say, it's all about the personal relationship, the one on one. Would you be up for being ambassador?
Speaker 3: No, I'm very happy out of the public sector.
Speaker 2: Look, the ambassador's role is important, right, and Ja did a good job, and Arthur Sinadinas did a good job, and Kevin's doing a great job. But with Trump in particular, the only relationship that matters is going to be between the Australian Prime Minister and the American pressor So our Prime Minister has got to have the confidence and the character and the courage to deal with Trump because all Trump will respect is strength and conviction.
Speaker 1: Malcolm, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Malcolm Turnbull's essay Second Coming, How to Deal with Trump, is out now in Australian Foreign Affairs. Also in the news today, King Charles and Queen Camilla have received a ceremonial welcome on their first visit to Canberra. After the King's speech in the Great Hall yesterday, Senator Lydia Thorpe called out, you are not our king, you are not sovereign, before being escorted away. Earlier, Senator Thorpe turned her back as God Save the King was played. And the Federal Court has ruled that hundreds of former Quantus workers who were illegally sacked in twenty twenty will receive financial compensation from the airline. Last year, Quantus was found to have broken the law when it stood down seventeen hundred ground crew members in twenty twenty. Lawyers for Quantas and the Transport Workers' Union will now attend mediation to determine the final compensation payout for workers. And if you haven't yet, you should listen to our new series. This is Alice Springs. It's hosted by my colleague Daniel James, and it's extraordinary. It's enour feed now. I'm Ruby Jones. This is seven AM. Thanks for listening.