Speaker 1: You're on the air with Jason Lauren Clints here as well. We're doing a thanks so mates, it shall ready express. Let's say hello to our next guests.
Speaker 2: Our next guest has come a long way since being a Queensland Police officer. He's been in government under Howard Habit, Turnbull and Morrison, and he could very well next be in government under himself.
Speaker 3: I think we've got a hell of a journey left in front of us, and the campaign can throw up all sorts of audities.
Speaker 2: Please welcome to the show leader of the Liberal Party's.
Speaker 1: Way to the House, Morning morning.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 6: Is this out of like your normal rum? I feel like you're always very serious. In coming into an FM radio station could be a.
Speaker 5: Bit rogue for you.
Speaker 3: Well, you just don't know what's going to be the next question. You guys are pretty loose, so it could go wrong pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: I was I was going to say, do you what part of the police were you in back in the day?
Speaker 3: I worked in uniform obviously, and then I was in the prison squad, so investigating jail's jail offenses. I was in the sex offender squad. I was in the drug Squad, the National Crime Authority, so covert surveillance.
Speaker 7: Here, I say, here in Victoria, we've had a few issues here and there. Have you got any advice to just center on on how to tackle the crime crisis.
Speaker 3: Stop stop supporting the cfm AU running right across the city, and start banning machetes and getting serious about putting in place boundaries. I mean, people need to understand if they're breaking the law and you're committing a serious crime. If you're breaking me to someone's home, I just think that's your sanctuary. And if you're there with your kids, or your grandmother is having her home invaded and cars stolen like that, that is a big event in someone's life and that can be life change. You've had friends who have had home invasion or home had a home invasion. They essentially had to sell the house because they just couldn't.
Speaker 5: You know, I can understand that.
Speaker 3: I just couldn't go home to that house.
Speaker 5: And you know that's we need to be tougher on it, don't we agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: As a former police officer, do you empathize with the police who are you must who are out there chasing these criminals, catching them, doing all the paperwork, doing all the hard yards and then they see them back out on the street and they're catching them again the next week.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's part of the reason I got into politics as well, because I worked in the sex offender Squad and I had a really strong interest in child protection and dealt with a lot of victims of rape. And you'd go to court and the court would impose a penalty which was just a joke, and you think, well, how am I going to change this? And so that was a big motivation for me to get into politics. But I do feel for the police because it's worse now that it's ever been. And in some cases, you know, criminals are out committing offenses whilst the police are still at the station of the watchhouse, crazy doing the paperwork, and you know they're not keeping their heads above water.
Speaker 7: Could ask you a quick question, it's on the crime crisis, about your state colleague here who leads the Liberal Party, Brad Baton. There's a story in the Herald Sun today about at the heart of the crime crisis last week when Cindra Allen was dealing with all sorts of problems. He was on a cruise and State parliamentary colleagues are a little bit concerned about his absence.
Speaker 4: Are you do you share that sentiment.
Speaker 3: Well, I've only met Brad a couple of times, but what I've seen from him and when I've heard him speak publicly, I think he has a real genuine aspect to his nature. And I think he's obviously got you know, like me, with a policing background, and also he's had a small business background, so he understands, you know, the good and bad of society. He's taken a holiday and people can criticize him for that, but I think he would be a great premier of this state, and I think he would actually be serious about dealing with the law and order crisis, the crime issues that you know facing Victorian's at the moment.
Speaker 1: Tell you what you got pressure on you when you're in politic politics and you want to take a holiday. Tommy Tait on the Gold Coast has just copped it because he was overseas for the league and he wasn't back for the cyclone. Obviously we saw scomo Butcher are going to Hawaii. How does your family go with the pressure of a campaign.
Speaker 3: Well, they're okay, but I want to come back to Tom Tait in the second that it could have gone gone so much worse for him in Vegas. I mean Tom taate loose in Vegas Rugby league players. There could have been all sorts of hangout celebrating home. I just think the fact that he got home in.
Speaker 4: One pieces todate, it's a minor miracle.
Speaker 3: That would have been an interesting flight home for Carl. I suspect you've.
Speaker 1: Got three kids. Surely you know the family knows to be able to join sometimes and it's like, hey, I can't come to the birthday dinner tonight, I've got to be in Canberra.
Speaker 3: The worst part of this job is that, you know, it's the impact on your family and your kids and your cousins and you know, siblings who have got the same surname, and and you know there's good and bad that goes with that. But if you're in a public role in the spotlight, you know as you guys are as well. I mean, your kids live with your surname, and they live with people's opinions and their conscripts. I mean they haven't signed up to no exactly.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing a clip of you on sixty Minutes the other week, soying, you guys have to get protection for the kids at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've had death threats and all sorts of stuff and police at school, and you know, it's crazy. But I've got to say, they just you know, they've never complained and they've always harry. One time said Dad, you know it's so embarrassing that police are at school. I said, no, one will know that. They probably just looks like another teacher. He said, they're the only people walking around with bum bags at the school day.
Speaker 6: So Dad's doing embarrassed their kids a lot. Jason's very guilty of that.
Speaker 1: The boys asked me to park around the corner now and they'll walk to me.
Speaker 5: Now, when is this federal election happening?
Speaker 6: I feel like we've been hearing about it and hearing about it and hearing it about about it.
Speaker 5: Do you know the date?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: What heads up? Do you get?
Speaker 3: No, I'll be the last person to know the date. That it's not going to call me. So it was. I think it was scheduled for the twelfth of April, and then obviously the cyclone in Brisbane pushed it back. It can only really be one of three dates. The third the tenth or the seventeenth of May, so you know.
Speaker 1: When you got anything on those weekends that you prefer.
Speaker 3: My dad's eightieth birthday, we were planning on the on the third of May weekend. So I'm unpopular in the family group at the moment, but we'll sort of.
Speaker 6: And we asked him and I said, is it going to be this week? And he goes, no, it's my birthday. I'm not calling it on my own bed.
Speaker 1: Elbow, So I was just going to say, just on that You're and albert A text each other. Remember we used to get Scomo in and or albo be in and would all text a photo to Scomo from elbows.
Speaker 3: Look like him with him pretty well, and he's spoken publicly about that as well. We can have a chat and send a text or you know, if there's a national security issue or something he wants to work together on, you know, always happy to do.
Speaker 4: What do you admire about Albow?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 3: Well, I think anyone who's come into public life in the modern age, particularly with social media, is you know, if you're prepared to stick your hand up and you believe we live in a great country and you want to fight for that I think that's a you know, something to be respected. And I also you know he's got a great love and affection for particularly his son and the rabbit. And the rabbit that's right, pretty friendless.
Speaker 6: Other one, there is that famous photo of him when he became the Prime Minister and the paparazzi got him the next morning on his doorstep in his rabbit.
Speaker 7: Is the question, go Lauren, he's got the politics major Lauren?
Speaker 4: Sorry should I say.
Speaker 1: Laura Laurenates? What's your question for Peter Dutton?
Speaker 5: Peter Dutton? What do you sleep in?
Speaker 3: What do I sleep in? Is this information people at this time of morning.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll never forget Scott Morrison looking me deadpan in the eye and telling me about his boxer shorts.
Speaker 5: And I regretted the question.
Speaker 3: I have to I have to. I have to sleep with the shirt on. I can't sleep with the shirt off. And I don't like the air conditioning blowing on me, so I have this huge fight at home about it.
Speaker 5: That's very young Queensland air conditioning on.
Speaker 3: I turn it off, so everyone's up and down in the night. And yeah, and then we're just shorts of mondays.
Speaker 1: Our money was his t shirt full flannel that we thought, but it'd be a campaign T Shirt's it'll be a campaign T.
Speaker 4: Shirt, the Liberal party T shirt. That'd be romantic.
Speaker 3: Liberal.
Speaker 5: I can tell you that some of those no for boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll give you some nover.
Speaker 5: Jason Laurence socks to sleep in.
Speaker 1: I could want to bid the other night woke up with a rash and maybe givehim a watch. Hey, Peter Dutton's on the air with us this morning. We're going to take a quick break and then we put together some speed dating questions. We thought, let's get to know you as well as we can within sixty seconds. We'll do it next dear on nover just going eight thirty oppositionally to Peter Dutton's in the house. Guys, I just said to mister Dutton during the ads, do you want to go d J Dutton and pick the next song?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Do you hit the decks like elbow?
Speaker 3: I just don't. I've got to put it right out there now.
Speaker 5: Do you think.
Speaker 1: What do you like on the d floor? Your bust to move on the dance floor?
Speaker 6: Maybe a little while game when you've got three kids would get him to do the worm. Actually, when you said would you pick the next song that we play? I saw the paddic in your eyes, like, oh gosh, what are the kids going to think?
Speaker 1: I put it this way? It wasn't in the Nova library access. The smooth one is do you want.
Speaker 3: To fifty four? I'm not you know, I'm not young anymore.
Speaker 1: You're about to get got your pause?
Speaker 5: Is the new forty?
Speaker 1: Do you want to do the intro for DJ Dutton? What song are we playing?
Speaker 8: Are we gonna play the classic classic from job Yes, Billy Joel And it only goes through about ninety five minutes, so that gets you off the hook.
Speaker 1: This will be a fair job. This will be a fair job.
Speaker 4: Let me tell get.
Speaker 5: Him out of the fast track questions.
Speaker 1: Coming up next with speed Dating with Peter Dutton, Mister Billy Joel.
Speaker 3: Cut that eventual.
Speaker 1: Always got nine more minutes to go. That is by request for the opposition leader, Peter Dutton. It is DJ Dutton this morning picking the music here on Nova.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Lauren. Lauren just mentioned that was her go to a karaoke banger.
Speaker 6: That is my go to a karaoke bank. Well, it doesn't sound like a banger when I sing it. I'll give you the hot tip.
Speaker 4: Missus Dutton.
Speaker 7: Cost of living is huge, so many people are doing it tough, not just here in Melbourne, but right the way around Australia. What decisive action will you take if you are in the lodge to ease the pressure on Australians.
Speaker 3: I think one of the biggest issues at the moment is just the way in which the energy policy is driving up cost of electricity and therefore, I mean when you look at groceries they've gone up by thirty percent and ask yourself why, Well, it's not just your power bill at home. It's the local IgA store, it's the butcher, it's the cold storage of food. We went to a a not a big sort of supermarket the other day, not the coals or anything like that, and probably not even as big as a big ida. Their power bill has gone up by forty thousand dollars a month. Wow, right, So they're just passing that cost on.
Speaker 4: There an appetite for nuclear though, well actually.
Speaker 3: Well two thirds of people aged between eighteen to thirty four support it because they know that it's a zero missions technology. The Labor Party in the UK is really pay out all stops to introduce more of it. Same in the United States and the top twenty economies in the world, Australia is the only one.
Speaker 4: We see a plant here in Victoria.
Speaker 3: Well, we can see seven across the country which we're identified. And I just the other point that I make, just quickly, because we're going to get to your questions, I guess, but which I mark about. But is gas? I mean, Victoria is about to start importing gas by ship, which is going to be massively expensive. And people are talking about brownouts and blackouts, which is crazy because manufacturing can't survive if the lights are turning on and off, and hospitals can't survive if you've got intermittent power power. It's not full time.
Speaker 1: If you want to my point, I mean, honestly, not even in my neighborhood. Just hearing you guys have that conversation like we just bought a place and I'm like, oh, bloody health, you put.
Speaker 3: One in in Bentley. Have you got a col fire POWERstation?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, So we're only talking about on a cal fire POWERstation site seven sites across the country, which is exactly what France has been doing for decades. It's what Canada is doing. They've got a cost of electricity about one third the price we're paying here.
Speaker 1: I can see the benefits. I think there's going to somewhere. I know, but there's just that fear of knowledge is power, and maybe we don't have enough knowledge of how it all. I mean not minly knowledge on nuclear power plants as Homer and the Simpsons.
Speaker 6: I knew you were going to say the Simpson Well that's all I not where else have you seen.
Speaker 5: One but three eyed fish?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't want a three eyed fish in the ponds around Benling.
Speaker 3: But I really reckon it's worth googling and having a look at the technology because the new submarines that you know, both the Prime Minister and I are fully supportive of, and you have their nuclear and you wouldn't put the Defense Force personnel on a submarine if you thought it was unsafe. And as a.
Speaker 4: Way, did you change your mind from twenty twenty three then.
Speaker 3: Well, because I didn't think we could get it through in twenty twenty three. But once you put the once you put the nuclear submarine plan into play and it was supported by both parties, it was basically a message that people don't you know the government, the Labor Party, the Liberal Party doesn't have a concern about safety. In the United Kingdom. As I say, the Labor Party is pulling out every stop because they don't think they can achieve net zero by twenty fifty without nuclear And it's exactly what Joe Biden and Al Gore and others have said in the United States. In France, they're ramping up their nuclear capacity. They've got about seventy percent, as I say, in the system there. So if it makes sense for those countries and we want cheap electricity, why not do it. But in Victoria and across the country otherwise we need a lot more gas in the system.
Speaker 1: In the entry, we definitely need an answer. I don't understand the fear.
Speaker 5: It does seem a bit scary when you don't.
Speaker 1: Know that much exactly.
Speaker 6: Before we gave you with these fun questions, how do you think you'd go the relationship with Donald Trump?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I have the ability to and just you know, not because of my experience as a police officer, but as Defense Minister and Home Affairs Minister and Sistant Treasurer, I think I've got the experience and the ability to stand up for our country and to say, Okay, you're about America first, that's great, but I'm about whatever best deal I can get for our country.
Speaker 1: Albo said he was on the phone for about thirty minutes. How many of those minutes Wreck and Elbow.
Speaker 3: Spoke, Well, well, that's a good question, but he didn't. He didn't raise any of the important issues. And he tried to place a call of the president the other day. The President wouldn't even take his call. Or reason Elbow hasn't been to Washington is because the President won't meet with him, which is just bizarre.
Speaker 5: Have you had anything to do with him with Donald.
Speaker 3: No, but no. But we work with the administration, and I've worked as a senior minister with the Obama administration, with the Trump administration, with Joe Biden's administration, and you know, well we'll work together because they're an important military partner. Yeah, and we have to have a good, strong relationship with the US, but we've got to stand up for our interests.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 1: All right, let's hit you with the hard stuff. We want to get to know you a little bit better this morning, so we'll put together some speed dating questions. Just got a light stuff to get to know, mister Dutton as much as are as well as we can in sixty seconds.
Speaker 5: This is the stuff that people want to know.
Speaker 1: Rapid fire. Are you ready, mister Darton.
Speaker 5: That's okay, okay, here we go go for who's your foot team?
Speaker 3: Broncos Lines, Queen, Queenslander.
Speaker 5: How do you take your coffee?
Speaker 3: No coffee? I've never drunk coffee in my life. What what about Tyrra Missoon? I'm a black black tea guys, so I just can't in Melbourne.
Speaker 6: You put a bit of cold water in your black tea, piping hot, a.
Speaker 3: Little bit of cold cold water, but also like green tea and pepmint tea as well.
Speaker 1: My name? Get to your fair point?
Speaker 6: What's your favorite TV show? Favorite TV or yellow celebrity crush?
Speaker 3: Uh? Eastwood?
Speaker 6: Oh yes, but what's your nickname? Can we call you that? Where was the last time you got a fine? Speeding fine? Parking fine?
Speaker 5: Didn't pay the dogs red Jo.
Speaker 3: A couple of years ago, I'd say for a speeding fine.
Speaker 5: Do you have any pets?
Speaker 3: Do yes? Ralph, our spoodle's in charge of our household's running the place.
Speaker 5: Not on the list. But do you like cats?
Speaker 3: We had we had a beautiful cat, a Russian blue called Boris, and she now lives with my with my wife's art. Boris and Ralph didn't get on well.
Speaker 1: No likes cats called Boris.
Speaker 5: What was your first job?
Speaker 3: First job was my lawns and I worked after school in a butcher shop.
Speaker 6: Favorite singer, well, Billy Joe. You walk into a bar, what's the first drink you order?
Speaker 3: You have a green tea depending on time to day, but probably a beer or glassy red wine.
Speaker 5: One word to describe Donald Trump?
Speaker 3: Uh awkward.
Speaker 5: What sport are you good at?
Speaker 3: Pretty good at cricket?
Speaker 5: Do you have a signature dish to cook?
Speaker 3: Roast, lamb, jelly or sauce?
Speaker 5: And yeah, when was the last time you cried?
Speaker 3: Uh, I'm a bit of a softy soup. Anything to do with the kids and uh so, yeah, probably Philly.
Speaker 5: What was your first car?
Speaker 3: ADATs and Stanza. Google it. It wasn't great, It wasn't the standard, didn't no personalized plates please?
Speaker 5: And who is your favorite world leader?
Speaker 3: Favorite world leader at the moment. That's a very good question.
Speaker 1: My money's on Kim.
Speaker 3: I like personally, I like Chris Luxeon in New Zealand.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, good answer and your favorite Melbourne breakfast radio show.
Speaker 3: Well here I am.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. Can we call you? We can call you. We're friends now, it is.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming in. You're a good sports It's nice to get to know you a little bit better. Joey Time, Victoria, thank you.
Speaker 3: Take care guys.
Speaker 6: Jason Lauren, Jason Lauren wake Up Feeling Good on number one hundred.
Speaker 3: Lauren on socials