Speaker 1: I get a team. It's the bloody Project. That's you, it's tiff it's Cairing, it's Harps, it's us. It's a fucking Friday. We're sliding in towards home base and I couldn't be more excited. Tiffany and Cook is sitting over there at typ Central with hair for days. I don't really understand how one day you look like a builder's laborer with like your hair pulled back, like you're some kind of trade and now you look like some kind of wild animal from the jungle with hair everywhere. How does that happen? I'm a boy, How does that? How have you got now a shock of red curly hair? Yesterday you look like a bloke called Scott with a toolbag? How does that happen? How do girls do that? How do women do that? I just rock up every day with the same head and the same ten dollar glasses. You're like some kind of fucking urban chameleon. I don't know who's going to turn up. Explain to me how does that happen?
Speaker 2: Well, when I wash it, if I have time, I do you know a little little scrunchy scrunchy and let it dry properly and see what happens and that that happened today because I had some time. So here we are.
Speaker 1: Wow. I feel like Karen is a lot closer to the crag end of the scale in terms of hair, hair care and giving a fuck about hair. Would you agree, Karen?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: If I get out of the shower, dry, put some wax on my hands, and just go rah rah amway however it lands, it lands, Yep, don't care.
Speaker 1: We've confirmed through rigorous scientific evaluation and testing with Tiff that she's thirty percent dude, Ah, what would you give yourself on that? You know, what percentage would you give yourself? Dude?
Speaker 4: Me? Seventy seventy them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's more than me because I'm only sixty, So well done.
Speaker 2: She runs a conference called Girls with Hammers, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh that's funny. Yeah. Well, anyway, how are you? Thank you so much for coming back on the You project. Rather than me read some something off the internet, give my audience who have not met you, can you give them a quick snapshot of who you are and what you're about before we dive in.
Speaker 4: Oh look, if I give all that stuff, it's too much. But let's say I run Girls with Hammers, which is conferences. Maybe we'll do it again next year. And I run retreats in Cambodia with my partner. I'm a leadership facilitator, an author, speaker, podcast host, you know, just all that. That's the sort of shit I do. What do I care about? Who am I? I bloody want to change the world, you know. I want to save the planet.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I want people to be at their best, and I want to inspire people to believe that they're not a piece of shit like they've been, like they've led themselves to believe and you know, not good enough and all that kind of stuff. So that's the stuff I work on as hard as our bloody can to make.
Speaker 1: How do you decide with all of those goals and ambitions, as beautiful and as magnanimous as they are, how do you decide what needs your attention and energy. I'm a little bit like you. I'm like a dog with three dicks. I get distracted, as does Tiff, by shiny things, and I'm like, oh fuck, there's so much stuff to do. How do you decide? Like, how do you prioritize your time, effort, energy and skill so that you're not so that. I mean. My point is I think a lot of people are busy but not effective, you know.
Speaker 4: So how do I keep it effective? Well, I don't know. I'm very good at doing it in my head. I need to do this today, and I need to do that today in this today. But basically what I will not do is spend time on things that are not making a better world. So if what I'm doing I think people are getting something out of it and they're becoming better humans, then I'll find time in my diary to you know, you know, make my day work. And if someone wants me to do something that's not really effective, it's just not going in my diary. That's as simple as I can make it. I don't know how I do it.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'm way what is Well, you're doing a good job, and we hear good things, so you must be doing something. Okay, What is effective leadership according to you? Not what does the book say or the program say? Like, when you meet somebody who's a good leader, what are you saying.
Speaker 4: Ah, someone who really makes you feel seen, heard and valued. You know, they appreciate you. They they're humble, but not humble to a point that they're like putting themselves down. You know, they let others shine. They're vulnerable, you know, they tell the truth. They build trust because they up as themselves and authentic, do you know, and don't try to put on a big show and a bullshit kind of I'm the boss, you know, look at me, I'm so perfect. I have all the answers. Someone who really brings their human self into it and really cares about the people that are around them and cries to understand who is that person as a human? How do I connect with them better? Connection and relationships are buddy king. When you're a leader, what.
Speaker 1: Are the toughest bits of leadership? I feel like I'm going to give you one that I think is tough, and then you can speak to that and expand on it if you want.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: For me, who employed over five hundred people when I owned gyms over court of a century, I had multiple gyms, lots and lots of staff over time, giving people feedback was always fraught with danger, even if you had the best of intentions. And when somebody's fucking up, let's be honest, they're just fucking up. They're doing something that's done without throwing them on to the emotional bus or destroying their confidence. How do you how do you as a leader kind of factor in their feelings and their psychological and emotional state, but also tell them the truth.
Speaker 4: I always think, and this is not there's no one answer to this because it depends on the person. It depends on the situation. It really does depend on a lot of stuff. But I like to start off, we're saying, look, this is this is where we need to be. You know, these are the things outcomes we need to meet, and we're not quite getting there. Do you know? Some things are going wrong? What can we do together? How can I support you to get back on track? Because we've got because we have to achieve them. That's a non negotiable. We have to achieve it. So what do we to do? How are we going to get there? When I say it like that, I'm making it sound like it's a two minute conversation. It's not. Like I said, It depends on depends on the person, depends on the situation, depends on their emotional state. Look, when we communicate with people, you know, we always think that that feedback loop, you know, So it's kind of I send a message the receiver. Here is that. Then they send me a little a message back to say, yeah, I've got it. Now we're in this little loop of communication. That's that's out a bullshit because the communicator has this whole set of things that the person sending the message. It's their tone, it's their attitude, it's their knowledge, it's there, you know. All of that is in a package and that gets sent to the receiver, and then the receiver's got this package that's ten times bigger because it's like, what's their emotional state, what's their mental state, what's their health, what's their experiences, what's their background, what's their culture, what are their beliefs, what are their triggers, blah blah, and the list goes on and on and on and on and so what happens is and I always say this, and it's the truth. There's the only true communication is the interpretation of the receiver. So less you know the person well enough that you're giving that that talk to or what you know that feedback to, you're not guaranteed for it to land. Right. And I'm really big on this. If you're going to lead people, your priority is to get to know them, to understand who they are. Yes, we've got a task to do, Yes we do. But you just if you know the people and you work with them according to their strength and what they want and what they need and all, like I don't mean panda to them, but you know, work so that they're at their best. The job gets done. The job sort of takes care of itself. But if you push, push, push the job and you don't know who you're pushing it to, it's ten times as hard. Does that answer your question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Look, I mean that actually insects with my research for my PhD, which is all around understanding how other people think and how other people see the world and how other people are experiencing this moment and how other people are experiencing you in that moment. And this is you know, that ability to be able to in a particular moment in time with a particular one off, one of a kind individual, to be able to have some insight into there in the moment experience and feeling and version of reality. That opens a door for connection that people without those skills don't have. You know, It's like you might have the best vocabulary and all the degrees and all the theoretical knowledge. But if you're in a moment with Tiff, and TIFF's feeling a certain way that you're not feeling, and she's having an experience that you're not having, and she's looking through a window that you're not looking through, well it's really in your interest to try to have some insight into her experience so that you can build that connection. And this all sounds good in theory, but yeah, this is and I think for people like you, you probably just do that organically and spontaneously without thinking it through from from a fucking academic point of view, but you just do it in the moment.
Speaker 4: Well, I do it from the heart, and I really want people to get better at that. You know, leadership doesn't come from your head. It comes from your heart. Like you can plan with your head, but you need from your heart. And some people will disagree with that, and that's okay, but it's also in the moment. If you don't know what somebody's going through, you've got to make them feel seen, hurd and valued, and you've got to be kind like you've got to show kindness and compassion in any of those situations and start from there and then Look, if the person's not coming to the party, then you can say, look, we're going to have to push on this a little hard act because we've got to have an outcome, yes, but starting with kindness and starting with understanding them. And you're absolutely right about the perceptions. I was just talking to someone about that yesterday. We were talking about behaviors, and I said, but when we're dealing with people, we're not. Actually the behavior comes second, and we've got to think about how they're perceived leaving something in the moment, and we've got to deal with their perceptions, not not the facts fat first. You know, we got to think, well, how did they perceive this? Because we can't just throw facts at somebody and tell them what's right or wrong if they've perceived it completely different. You know, we have to get to the bottom of that first. But I'm making it sound easy and it's not, because every single human being is a unique mix of you know, millions of stuff beneath the surface that you know, we can never and we can never know another human because we can never we don't even know ourselves. We don't even know what's below our own surface, so we can't do the best we can if we shaut with kindness and compassion, it's a bloody good start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I mean also knowing that what will work for one person will not work for another person. You know, even if your attentions are great, even if you are leading with kindness and compassion and love and care, it's still going to operate in wisdom.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I just had this conversation with a leader that I was coaching. I need done you half an hour ago, and we're talking about kindness and that kind of stuff. And she said, and isn't it funny that some people just don't want that? And she said, I did all that kind of stuff with this guy. And she said, I said, you know, you're really good, like I love how you show up and and he said, just get to the point. What are you trying to say? Yes, she said, I could have saved all that time.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a there's a really interesting concept in psychology called the false consensus effect, which basically speaks to the fact that most of us think that other people think like us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, and so we think.
Speaker 1: That, oh, this makes sense in my head, so it will makes sense in Karen's head. And to me, this would be nice and inspiring. So I'll say that to Karen and it will be nice and inspiring, whereas for you it's confusing and judgmental. Now, if I'm thinking I'm giving you a positive but your experience of those words is a negative, well one that's a problem. And two if I don't know on top of that, well that's another problem.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So this operating on the assumption that this person probably isn't in my reality or a version of my reality. This person doesn't think like me. That's not good or bad, better or worse. That's just the situation we're in. And then based on what I know about them, how do I build rapport, how do I build trust? How do I build respect? How do I build connection? What matters to them? What's important to them?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: What do they want to get out of this? It's what's their version of right now? Because it's not my version.
Speaker 4: Yep, absolutely, I love all of it. Yeah, And it's and I think that body language too, there's another big there's a whole other section because you can say, I turn up with words and and how does kre and interpret these words? And what's her reality? But our body language is most of our communication, do you know. So if we come in opened and open, relaxed and warm, instead of coming in with a full body sort of intimidation type thing, then we're already we've already built that connection by not threatening somebody, you know, or we've already at least eliminated the risk of threat. So but again, then that when I was talking about the stuff that's going on for the receiver, if you've got like I was talking about emotional health, mental health, physical health, but you've also got syndromes and conditions sitting under that as well, Because then you've got you know, autism or ADHD, or you've got another syndrome sitting under there. That throws another another level of complexity into the situation. And I don't think leadership's easy at all, But I do think it's easier if if we start just start with accepting people for who they are and understanding that we don't know everything about them more and what's right for us might not be right for them, and just start I don't know, I think that's the best place to start from and then build something from there. And I always talk to people about connection. Now I haven't got time for connection. I'm like going to the staff room and make a coppa at the same time as them and say, hey, it's your morning bean. You know that takes you the time it takes to make a coppa and there. But what if I get stuck talking and ah shit, you know, like this is the problem. You can always say, oh, that's fantastic, I'm going to go. Can we catch up at lunchtime? You know, well what have you? But this connection thing scares people. I don't know why. I think.
Speaker 1: I think one of the realities of corporate Australia and probably corporate America and England and Canada and everyone else that listens to this show is that some people get put in leadership position is because they're intellectually smart or they're very skilled at the job or the industry, and they know a lot about the industry, they know a lot about the mechanics of the business. But they're not great with humans, Like they've got low social and emotional intelligence, poor situational awareness, they lack empathy, and they may or may not be a sociopath.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: And this sounds like, oh that's harsh. No, that's just statistically true. I mean, you know, depending on which research, three to five percent of the population. Let's say three are sociopaths. Well, in a country of twenty five million people, three percent is seven hundred and fifty thousand sociopaths. That's working on the low end. That's a fucking lot of people who don't care about other people, right, And then you think a lot of sociopaths are actually really smart intellectually and can also be charismatic and charming. Right now, I'm not saying you know that your boss is a sociopath. I'm just saying there are there are lots of people in leadership positions who won don't have the innate compassion or care, or skills or even capacity sometimes to be able to care about people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. Well, I would call their managers more than leaders. And it's not bagging managers. But you know, just because you've got a title doesn't make you a leader, do you you know, And just because you don't have a title doesn't make you not a leader either. But I think we confuse management leadership. You know, a good leader should be able to manage, a good manager should be able to lead, like it should go hand in hand. But there are a lot of managers out there who are shiit leaders, and they really cause a lot of problems. And man, well, I don't know. I do my best to try and get people to understand that, but you can't change everyone. Wish we could.
Speaker 1: Tell me about girls with hammers? What's the what's the intention behind that? Who's it for? What's it about to?
Speaker 4: I started? I started that off. I was looking as parked out front of a work where shop, you know, flunnies and girls should wear flunnies. And then I said, I'm going to start this something called girls and Hammers. I'm going to go into schools and I'm going to tell girls that they can be anything they want and they should stop sexualizing themselves to the boys and all that kind of shit. And so I didn't do anything about it, because you know, I was trying to protect my time and I was talking at a I was coaching on a table at a women's International Women's Date thing event, and there was this fantastic card on the table that said I will launch a Peppers full female focused initiative, and I thought yes, and I picked it up because all the other cards said I will stand up for women, and I will speak out, and I thought, ah, shit, you should be doing that anyway, do you? You know most are not. I picked this up up on the stage in front of three hundred women's they're not going to do this, Like yes, I got off the stage and the shit, now I've got to do it. This is what I always do in life. I shit. Anyway. I come home and tell my partner and she said, well, we're gonna have to start girls with hammers. And I said, well, if if I'm starting at you're coming in with me. So then I did. I tried to do the school thing.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 4: I went out to a couple of schools and sort of tried to do workshops and say, you know what, don't sexualize yourself and you're better than that. These girls are looking at me like this is this fucking nana coming and telling us do that sort of shit. It really didn't work. It failed, but we decided to have a conference anyway and see who would turn up, and mostly it was women forty five to sixty five, and they just wanted connection. They just wanted to hear stories about people who inspired them, but also to go that's my story. You know, I'm not alone. Someone else. Yeah, So that's it. And we've done six of them, and usually every year. This year we had a break because, well, you're asking me before, wen, do you know when to stop? This year we said, I just can't do it. It's one day a year, but it's definitely not one day in planning and definitely not one day in building. You know, it's a lot of work. So yeah, so we pulled back on it this year and we expect to do it next year, but we don't know.
Speaker 1: And how do you? How do you manage you? It's like you and I probably have a similar job in that there's a lot of mental and emotional investment. I'm constantly talking to people who are in not very good places, and these are not light or easy or comfortable or painless conversations. I get the vibe that you do a lot of that. I have my own kind of protocol as to how I manage me so that I can be the best me for them.
Speaker 4: What's what's that look like for you? Well, I've become very good at not personalizing anything. I've become very good at saying, well, you're responsible for your own destiny, do you know? So I don't say that to the person. But that's my thoughts about it. You know, I give them as much as I can in the time I've gone, even when I'm doing in person leadership programs. You know, I give, I give. I give two hundred percent of myself, you know, And I love and I dead set do love every person in that room with all my heart. But when I leave, it's me, it's all. It's I don't think about it. I do my thing, and I do believe that if I've given all the best I can, it's now they are the creators of their own world. Yes, now they have to do it. So I'm not going to drive home or I'm not going to get off the lap club and feel like, oh I should have done more? Could I do more? How can I save them? I'm not a rescue you know, I'm a coach and and well, you know the drama triangle. You know one hundred percent subscribe to the empowerment dynamic. You know that everyone is a creator of their own life, and you can you can. I won't help someone who won't help themselves, because I think that's a waste of resources and energy. And I'm very happy to take people to the what do you call them lead a horse, you know, to the water, but they don't drink. I'm not investing any more energy. So that's about the best I can do. But I don't feel exhausted from my job ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think for some people the idea of changing their life is very different from the practical requirement. What. Oh, yeah, that's a good theory. That sounds yeah, I would love that. Oh here's what you need to do. Oh fuck that, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, getting in shape, whatever getting in shape means. You know, my background is working with bodies and teams and athletes and individuals and you know, people with addiction. But you know, initially my job is all about helping people change their bodies so that it works better and functions better and performs better. And there are some people who you just talk to them and go, here's what we need to do, and they're like, fuck, I'm on it, thanks, and they do it, and then other people it not. You could give them all the knowledge or the inside, all the encouragement, all the support, all the resources, and they won't do it, you know. And that's the thing is you as a coach, you can't make someone ready. Like you said you can lead the horse to water. You can't. I say to people, I can't have a good attitude for you. I can't be resilient for you. I can't get out of bed for you. I can't be fucking courageous for you. I can just like I'm not the answer, You're the answer, Like you are literally the problem and the answer.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: The problem. Not everyone, of course, but for many people, the problem is how they think, and the solution is changing how they think. Because when you change how you think, you change your choices and behaviors.
Speaker 4: Yep, you know.
Speaker 1: It's this integrated process of like, well, yeah, so I'm very much with you, like I want to help people who want to be helped, and yes, I want to encourage and support and love you and have some empathy and have some all of that stuff, but also champ at the same time. My job is not to cuddle you for the next fucking year three years and tell you that you're amazing when you being a dickhead.
Speaker 4: Do you know what? Do you know what people say about me? I'm one big giant, warm hug that sneakily gives you a punch in the heart. So while I'm cuddling you'll give you a punch in the heart. They fucking do it, you know, But I'll cuddle you at the same time.
Speaker 1: I think it's both, right, Yeah, yeah, we need It's like, yeah, we need encouragement and support, but also you need to get off the fucking couch though. You need to make a decision. Though, you need to get uncomfortable, you need to be brave. I know that is hard, and I know you've had a shit life, and I know people have been nasty to you. I get all of that. We're not discounting that, we're not saying that doesn't matter. But nonetheless, here we are. It's Friday, It's a new day. What are you doing on Friday?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Like, what are you doing today? What are you doing tomorrow? You know? Because I think some people they use their past as a reason not to do anything in their present. While, without being insensitive, I know a lot of people who've got fucking horrendous pasts who are doing amazing things. Yes, you know, and I'm not trying to judge anyone, but when people come to me for help, I go, well, you came to me so let's yes, let's acknowledge and let's be fully aware of what's gone on and what hasn't gone on. But that's not now like now is now, you know, So that's the.
Speaker 4: I agree. I find the people that really lean in, you know, they really lean in the you say, look, this is what you need to do. It's going to take, it's going to hurt, and they're like, I'll do it, and they go and do it. They come ahead, they go ahead in leaps and bounds. Do you know, you know, they just go bang, bang bang, and the next time is easier. They just build this momentum that's insane. But you're absolutely right. The ones that say, oh, yeah, but yeah, but yeah, nothing moves, do you know? And I say to them at the start of the six month program, do it now, start now, because by the end of the program be easy. But if you'd come to me at the end of the program say I should have that's on you. That's on you.
Speaker 1: And I used to say to my clients Karen back in the day, like what I first started personal training when nobody was doing it right, and I started working one on one with a lot of people, and invariably someone would come to me and tell me that they'd fallen off the wagon. I'm like, what does that mean? And obviously they mean that they stopped doing whatever it is that they were doing. They stopped eating well, they started eating shit, you know, they stopped exercising and whatever. And I'd say, you know, I'd say, how's your diet? And they go, I fell off the wagon. And I say, all right, tell me about that. What happened? And they go, what do you mean? And I go, well, tell me what happened. Oh, I went out and I ate X y Z. I'm like, oh, how did that happen? And they're like, what do you mean? I go, well, so what did you eat? And they tell me at least to what? I go, how did it get in your mouth?
Speaker 4: I go?
Speaker 1: Who put it in there? Who chose it? You know, you didn't fall off a wagon. You made choices and you took actions. I'm not beating you up. I'm just saying, let's not talk about metaphoric or pretend wagons. Let's talk about real choices and real behaviors and real results. You didn't fall off anything. You just made different choices and you took different actions, and you just stopped doing what you started. And some people could go, oh, that's so brutal. I'm like, well, what is brutal? That is literally just what happened. Yeah, Like if I called you a prick, that's brutal. But I'm not doing that. I'm just saying, no, you literally just chose to eat shit, that's actually what happened. But when you literally just hold people's behavior up to them in a mirror, ye, I'd rather call you brutal than acknowledge their own behavior, because it's easier to criticize me for being brutal than it is to own up to shitty behavior. Yeah, yeah, like, yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: I do know we're talking about your mouth, because that's who we're talking about, you know, sort of I've got this saying and I know it's not totally right, but it's a great it's a great concept. Your mouth is the most important part of your body because what goes in determines your health, what comes out determines your health. And I just love saying that because it's so bloody true when most mostly generally speaking.
Speaker 1: Well, also what comes out of your mouth, what a massive impact that has on the people in your world.
Speaker 4: Well, that's right, so it makes make sure it breaks you. You know, does determine your wealth? And your wealth doesn't that mean necessarily mean your income. It means your bloody wealth. You know, like what are your relationships and that you start? Yeah, I always like, I love kindness and sometimes I'm not kind. I'm going to admit that sometimes I'm a fucking prick, do you know, because I've had a gut full of shit. But I think kindness is where we can that's what we should do. I know, yeah I sound like a little woosp but I love it. I love kindness.
Speaker 1: Well, I think also that you're human, right, you get frustrated. I get frustrated. There are times when I'm a prick. There are times when I'm super patient, super loving, super kind, super thoughtful, and then times when I'm not that. And that's not oh you're bad, you're good, you're broken, that's well, you're human. But I think the challenge we're not trying to be perfect, we're trying to be better, and we're trying to acknowledge our own bullshit. And you as a leader, and you as a teacher and a coach and a mentor and a role model. If you're not fucking up, well, then you're just lying because I don't know anyone who doesn't fuck up. You know what I'm saying, It's like, so, but we.
Speaker 4: Should we should own up too, We should say up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and when you own up, when you step up and own up, people respect you. They do because, you know, rather than trying to portray yourself as somebody who's got, you know, everything sorted. How do you know when someone is genuinely ready to change?
Speaker 4: Well, now, I don't know. I don't know that. I'm thinking about a few people, just the last cohorts, you know that I've just had. I think they are the people that actually they do what you've asked. And I don't mean look, I don't tell people what to do. I make suggestions about Look, if you want to get on top of this, this is this is what I suggest you think about that, and then they come back to you the next two weeks later and they say I did it, and it's made a massive difference. And it's the ones who always take that step, you know, and do something with bravery. They they they're they're just willing to keep going with all these brave steps you know, so I can't pick it at first. Someone asked me this actually while not that long ago, and asked me, how do you know at the start of each program who's going to who's going to lean in and who's not. And I said, I don't, I don't. Body language does tell me some stuff, but it's not until someone takes action that I know that they're going to lean in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen any of the There have been a few shows on around the SAS training, you know, the Special Forces operators and Navy seals.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: And it's really interesting. I'm obsessed with that stuff. I'm obsessed with not with the war and the killing stuff. I'm obsessed with the people putting themselves in these horrible fucking training situations to endure days and weeks and in some cases months of horror to get through to come out the other side to be an elite Special Forces operator. Ye. And it's funny because sometimes you see these dudes come in. It's not always dudes, it's usually dudes for better or worse, but and they're fucking massive and jacked and covered in tattoos and and look terrifying, and they're black belts in this, and they're trained killers in that, and they drop out in the first three days. And you get these dudes who look like a fucking librarian. It's like, mate, did you did you come to the wrong group. It's like, you know, who bought Brian? Like what the fuck is he doing here? And these are the ones that get through. Like quite often the ones that get through, like the guys that look like they're six' four and bulletproof and just some kind of you, know masters of The universe, character nearly all of them drop. Out but the ones who look, unimpressive it's because it's just there's something else that that makes people. EXCEPTIONAL i think you hit it.
Speaker 4: Before it's the, mind do you, know you, know like you can have all the big graun and the bluff and all that shit you've, got but if you don't have if you're if you're relying on, that you, know and you're not relying on your mind or mind or your, heart you, know just that sentence as you're just relying on this big. Graph you, know that's completely different story to someone who is think About brian the librarian probably got bullied at school and you, know you, know all that sort of. Stuff he's probably he's probably aligned multiple really cunning strategies in his, mind you, know to survive and to be. Resilient And i've been through worse than, this you know. That that Bloody timmy he was an. Asshole he sent me on fire with, crackers you, know like who was swimming under the bridges and fucking? Hard you, know maybe it's mine, stuff you know that Doesn't.
Speaker 1: Back in the day BEFORE i became a very, sophisticated polished, academic nudge nudge wink wink, BOGAN i used TO i used to help people modify their behavior in hotels Around. Melbourne you, KNOW i was kind of, like what are those people at the work at reception a? Concierge, NO i wasn't. REALLY i was abound to write AND i did that for like four. Years and one of my boss AS i was, YOUNG i was like nine twenty twenty, one he used to say to, me it doesn't matter how big their arms are when you punch them in the. Face i'm, like That's it's like if somebody cracks you in the nose real hard and you've got huge, biceps it doesn't. Help AND i had huge biceps AND i got head. Butted first NIGHT i ever worked, SECURITY i got head butted AND i got my nose. Broken SO i probably did. SECURITY i don't know four or five hundred, nights maybe six, hundred but night ONE i got head butted and my nose, broken AND i was about one hundred kilos, real you, know full of muscles and. Shit let me tell you those muscles did not help at.
Speaker 4: All that's.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah i'm, Like, oh that fucking hurts a. Lot that hurts a.
Speaker 4: Lot, yeah that's free broken. NOSES i can attest to.
Speaker 1: That has the boxer had a broken?
Speaker 4: Nose cook have? NOT i don't know? How, wow how.
Speaker 1: Is us two non? BOXERS i don't. KNOW i don't Think karen's a.
Speaker 4: Boxer, well, well then let's talk about two, first and Then i'll tell you about a couple of Things i've. Got i'm just.
Speaker 2: Lucky it's not through lack of, gets not through not getting, hit that's for.
Speaker 1: Sure what are you trying to tell, Us karen that you've been in a few scuffles in your.
Speaker 4: Time i've been in, many many scuffles in my. TIME i was Thinking tiff was looking at me, like, oh you're a. Boxer and you didn't tell me. That no talk about an. Amateur lose your fucking head. Boxer you, know BECAUSE i played in pubs for years and years and, years and from WHEN i was, young fifteen And i'm in my. Twenties in, particular fucking assholes would come up drunk with their, boat with their pots of, beer and they'd be, gone fucking sing, eagle rock your fucking. GEAR i won't say the words they.
Speaker 1: Use you, know they're fun and already you've already opened the swearing.
Speaker 4: Door so no well to sea, words so we won't. Say we won't say. Country so and you, know playing eagle like a fucking AND i. Would they would spill their beer in my bloody foot pedal AND i would fucking lose.
Speaker 1: IT i was.
Speaker 4: Disregulated then there was no note open me doing WHAT i? Do, now what do you?
Speaker 1: Mean THEN i.
Speaker 4: Would kick the fucking beer out of the hand right and it would fly across the bloody dance, floor across the, road and then they would, go you fucking AND i would room my guitar off and keep tucking at one of the other guys in the bed and punch him right in the fucking. Face.
Speaker 1: Wow the guys in the.
Speaker 4: Band say to, me stop fucking. Fighting stop fighting all the. Time stop punching. People isn't it ever ever do?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 4: Now but oh my, GOD i was out of control WHEN i was. Younger you, know lucky he didn't starts with. Hammers back, then it would have been a thing girls with. Rage, WOW i had, many, many many. Fights, yeah, yeah as.
Speaker 1: Well they would have diagnosed you with about thirty two different things, today aggressive, bitch you'd be in therapy eight days a. Week i'd probably be locked up. Too was now you'd be in the big house making number plates With.
Speaker 4: Jane.
Speaker 1: Yeah fuck hell you just.
Speaker 4: No boxing gloves their.
Speaker 1: Mate you're, Funny you're, Funny you're. All it's always good catching up with. You how do people find, You karen and connect with you and reach out to you if they want.
Speaker 4: To, well they just catch connect with me On LinkedIn is the best one and just under my Name Karen. Vaughan but also my website Is Karen vaughan dot. Com So i'd love to hear from. Anyone give you, up Butter, coup we appreciate.
Speaker 1: You will say goodbye affair and to the bloody the lion in the corner the Diff that does make sense to the. Listeners but she's in the top left corner of my screen with that kind of it looks like a lion's, mane doesn't, It, Karen it.
Speaker 4: Does, yeah it's, beautiful, Beautiful, tief
Speaker 1: All, right see your team