Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to Daily Telegraph Er podcast on Brent Ridge orined by Russell Jackson, Tyson jack Tyson Jackson. There you go to Jackson Jackson with the Jackson between the we're going to talk all things Origin some time a year. It's the slow burned that we're finally here. Billy Slater and Michael McGuire held prescombs this morning to talk about their teams. Let's go through. Let's start with the Blues. What were the impressions Russell that that news last signe? What caught your eye?
Speaker 2: Got my eye? Well, it's a big call, the James Tedesco call. But it's a really big call. But look, Madge, Madge, I don't know if he quite explained it this morning, but certainly it's certainly a monster call for the Blues. Like Dian Edwards is going great, but Teddy sets a pretty high benchmark.
Speaker 3: I think that's the thing.
Speaker 2: He's pretty heavily scrutinized. I don't know if as a player in Origin it's been more heavily scrutinized than him. So it'll be interesting to see how Dylan Edwood's goes, how heavily scrutinized he is, but just that the benchmark of what Blues Fallback delivers and what Teddy's delivered in his time is pretty high. So there's a lot of pressure on that position in particular. That was a real standout. I only concern around it all is Niko Hines were just worried about him, worried about him.
Speaker 1: Or the big stage.
Speaker 3: Oh, A bit of both, A bit of both.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's got, hopefully that nightmare out of the way. Yeah, but everything else, Yeah, good on match, that's the team he wants.
Speaker 1: Let's stick with Teddy for a bit, tysonly for twenty two games in a row. He's the incumbent use of the last captain, the incumbent Australian captain, and he's been axed. It's a huge decision.
Speaker 3: I think it's a message more than anything.
Speaker 4: Match has gone out and he's said this is my time, my team, and I think he's put his team out and he's sent a message to everyone that you know, the old era of the Blues is over and they're entering this new era. Do I agree that James Tedesco should have been cut? Probably not. I think he's done enough to retain your spot. And I think when you are a champion like Tedesco in any sport, you've got to lose your title rather than you know, have had it given away. And I don't think he's lost his title as captain of the Blues. But that's the decision or en fullback. But that's the decision that Madge has gone with. Then look, Dylan Edwards is Dylan Edwards has been the informed fullback for the last three or four years.
Speaker 3: So is he going to do the job more than likely?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean my issue is that I would have given Teddy at least the first game and if they lost the first game, move on, right, But there's no disapinting dealing. It was probably he has been the form fullback. Yeah, not the form fullback because Reached Walsh has been pretty good as well. But he's been the form new said Wilds fullback I guess for the past eighteen months or so East and he's been better form than Teddy. It's just such a huge call to get rid of a guy who's been there for so long and as I said, he's been your captain, which means it captains now jak Turovich, who doesn't captain his club, who's inspiring, rose inspiring guy, a passionate guy, always gives everything he's got. But huge call. It's not the only huge call. I'm surprised Appy Corras would overlooked. Yeah you're a Tiger's man, are yes? Yeah, you think Reece Robson got the job.
Speaker 4: Reece Robson is a good player, but I think Apps has probably been and I think it stands out more the fact that he's playing for the Tigers, who are struggling at the moment. He's been the inform hooker of the competition, what he does for that team, the way he leads that team, and probably would have been a good leadership option for the Blues as well. But yeah, I think I think Appy's Appy missing out is a huge call. I think defensively as well, he provides so much and he also provides so much flairing attack and so much creativity that nine position.
Speaker 1: I think that was part of the issue. I think if you look at pure stats up, he's missed more tackles this year Thane and Robson has a bit of a bigger body and more physical But stats can be misleading, right, and sometimes yeah, you know, he's shooting out the lots the team.
Speaker 3: It's always on the back and four he's Yeah, exactly, he's a pressure play.
Speaker 2: It's the activity that that Happy brings that that I'm worried about that. Yeah, I mean Robson's a very good player, but yeah, Appy, he's just got those those those angles and he works at a dummy half. He does it so well. I'm not sure if it's a it's a call he had to make. I don't know why he did that. I am worried about the bench as well. I'm worried if guys go down.
Speaker 3: The benches.
Speaker 1: Bill he's got outside back on the bench, which is Yeah, little clubs are doing it these days, I think, just because if you lose outside back it's hard to replace. But it's four forwards and he said last bench, So if they lose an outside back from the game, they have to really shuffle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're in trouble, aren't they. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: What about Latrell miss out? What do we think? I thought Latrol should have been there. I think I'm the Queenslander. Latrell scares me.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I would have picked Latrell Mitchell. This is Latrell Mitchell, the center is like he is a Latrell Mitchell is a great center. He's always been a great center. He's a good fullback, very good fullback, but he's a great center. And I would have found a way to have conversations with him to get him on board with his team. I think I don't know exactly what happened on that front.
Speaker 1: I'm told Russet Latrell spoke to Madge a little while ago, a couple of months ago, and basically said the Madge, I mean, I mean, if you need me, if you think if you think I'm playing well enough, I'm in. I want to help the Blues. Now. Obviously, in the meantime, that story came out that Latrell light, I'm really out of what you want. But Latrell never said that. People closed to him look Trell ring Madge to make sure, imagine you that the troll was available. So yeah, this is purely decision based on it, I assume form. And you know, obviously he felt that Latrell maybe wasn't playing well enough because Latrell, from what I'm told, Latrell was committed to plan for the Blues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, look at it like this. The Maroons have picked Valentine Omes, who I think has been woeful.
Speaker 3: And terrible.
Speaker 4: I've got no doubt as a Blue supporter and as a new South Welshman that Valentine Home is going to be one of our biggest problems come Wednesday week.
Speaker 3: I think La troll sits in that same boat.
Speaker 4: If I'm a Queenslander and I'm looking ahead of me, yeah, I'm I'm petrified of the fact that Latrell Mitchell's got a Blues jersey on. But in saying that as well, Sowali I think is a great strike weapon for the Blues at center and I.
Speaker 1: Preferred him on the wing, though I understand it to pick Zack Clamax because he's had a good year in the wing, but I feel like, I just think, if you're going to go that way, I would have put Swalot swally here on the wing and pick a Troll in the centers. And that's pretty devastating combo.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know he's stick and I don't know what side of the field they play on, but carries from from a physical body. He goes in the exact Lomax Good in the air, but yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But engine wise and work ethic and all that. Yeah, Lomax is in very good form. How he measures up on this big stage.
Speaker 1: He is prone to the occasional erratic play.
Speaker 2: Exactly pass on Anzac day were they were squeezed. It was a great defensive set going backwards and all of a sudden he just flicks one out the back and.
Speaker 1: That If you make my stuff like that, generally you get punished. You can get away with it in club football occasion, but orige and if you throw a silly pass or do something rash and there's nought out and there's no way DC and Caro are not going to make a boline to Lomax.
Speaker 2: He's going to be under serious pressure. There's going to be high balls all day. It's going to be a big test for him and I hope he hope he aims up.
Speaker 1: Does Luke Kerey as well? One of the great Queenslanders. Heinz back up. He's a Queens Can we make that very clear?
Speaker 3: Isn't he flying at the moment?
Speaker 2: Though, Kirie, since he made that call on his future different, Luke Kerery's back like the old Luke.
Speaker 3: Kerey is there, assertive to the line, just like dominating games.
Speaker 2: He's been in terrific form and Madge trust him from his days at South.
Speaker 3: So you know, I don't know if they have any other choice.
Speaker 1: Goes out r In.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't think there's a there's a real better option at this point. And not saying that Luke Kery is the last option, but I think that for what the Blues need, especially the partner Jerome Luai who's has been on fire, let Drome play his game. Luke Kerey is the guy that can come in and really steer that ship where it needs to go. And and also his kicking game. We're speaking about Lomax before. If Ky is to slot in, it's a massive aerial threat for Lomax in the air.
Speaker 3: For Squally in the air. It causes it causes.
Speaker 1: Some problems for the Marines' A little bit of intrigued for me around your own being selected. How's Madge going to handle a boom box? You know, Madge is pretty Yeah, it's a pretty stable, sort of calm guy. Yeah, and Latrell loves that boombox a man, he plays a loud Yeah, Well that'll be an old man. You know, old man don't like loud noise exactly?
Speaker 2: Is there is there a boombox ban? You're talking boombox band. This is a major, major story.
Speaker 3: How will he go? Yeah, well, I think he might just get.
Speaker 1: That's got an issue with dressing box took allowed boom box. I can't see Madgine joined that as aside.
Speaker 3: If it goes to a vote, do you reckon they're pro boombox here.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, thinking that little boom I think Madge better be careful with that one.
Speaker 1: Better be careful now us a few controversial selections as well, Big Big Davy Boy, Dave for Feeder, Jayden saw yeah starting to I'm disappointed for Dave.
Speaker 4: It's a strange decision, especially in his performance yesterday. But I was mentioning to you guys earlier. He provides so much on the field just by being there. All of a sudden space opens up outside of him on the other side of the field, just because David for feeda standing there. And I mean, if Billy wants to go with his other options, that's fine, but I think as an aura, you need David fa in that side. You need him causing that havoc with the ball early ball near the line, just by being on the field, and.
Speaker 2: The decision has clearly been made before yesterday's game, Sunday's game, because he was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: As the side there, James had pretty good, to be fair, It's been pretty good this year.
Speaker 3: So yeah, nothing taking nothing away from him, but.
Speaker 1: But I would have big Dave there the other interestingants Tommy did at six obviously, I think he was always going to be the sick A bit of talk about as Aman when Monster was ruled out, But I think Tommy's been there, done, I played really well, the opportunity got, been solid in the Cowboys team that's been pretty ratic this year. I think that's a good choice.
Speaker 4: It's good choice, yea, yeah, no problem with he's an Origin player, Tommy. Did you see you see when he takes field the club. You know, he plays every game like it's an Origin game. And yeah, he's done the job before. And I think that would have been at the forefront of Billy's mind.
Speaker 2: What about that bench there we got saying that a pointing at the screen and you can't see that if you're listening. But number seven eighty seln Coper so an undefined role at this stage or not that Billy's going to tell us what the role is.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Stat Russ and I think Scott Bailey from AP destroying this early in the year. The teams that have lost outside back early in the game this year have lost, I think they've won. They've lost seventeen or twenty odd games this year. So if you lose an outside back in the modern game during a game you don't have cover on the bench, it's a death knell. So I think Billy maybe maybe Billy's a fan of Scott Bailey's got a well done, Billy's reading your stuff. You got to sell and I would have to sell on cop I would have started selling Cobo Murray too lungy to be honest. I just think someone's been playing so good this year and he is such a Yeah, he's machine.
Speaker 4: So on cob My My only question around having so On Cobbo on the bench is what happens if no one gets injured?
Speaker 3: Where did like?
Speaker 4: He's such an X factor and you're you're wasting You're wasting an integer.
Speaker 1: Do you think Queen's good because Queen's and historically have had Cale and Cooper those sort of guys on the bench playing that that middle of the field role that come on and players like almost like a book ball playing lock in the middle of the field. Cobo play that role.
Speaker 3: When have you ever seen Cobbo?
Speaker 1: You haven't Cale and done it? When Cooper does.
Speaker 4: A fullback there fullbacks played through the middle of the field. Cooper was a half who plays played a bit of fullback. There would be fair a little bit a handful of games. But I could see them doing I could see them at some point. Just say that, I see points right and coming on plays in the middle and just floats around. What about what we spoke about Lomax having having an error or two in his game, So to sell On comm you do you one day in the middle of the field.
Speaker 1: Don't bring that up. That got me a lot of trouble with Billy when we did the sell and drop over. Yeah, Billy Billy back on side.
Speaker 3: Up the terrible.
Speaker 1: But I can just see potent potentially sell On playing that. Can you imagine sell in the middle of the field just bobbing up, floating around because he's such a handful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm saying it will happen. Just defenders and all that. Yeah, a double fullback situation. Yeah, I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I don't mind it as a as a as a call. I have had a new text text mean already this morning saying that coins and team will change. That will not be the way they start the game.
Speaker 3: Changes there, what do they do what?
Speaker 1: I don't know what change. They didn't elaborate, saying they expect changes in that quin before kick on.
Speaker 3: Its interesting.
Speaker 1: So we've already got them under the gun. So we in agreement queens and three.
Speaker 3: Saying, boys, we're predicting, we predicted. What do you what do you think?
Speaker 1: Are confident? You guys and used to watch? Yeah, are you confident in that team enough?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say. I wasn't saying not confident. I think they're a hard working team. I think they lack a bit of that sounds lack of confidence. I think they don't put words in. I think they lack a bit of flash. But I think they're a hard working team and if they can get into that grind that I think the game will be decided between that seventy eighty minute mark.
Speaker 3: Like game one man imagines, it's not what I think like grind. I think they can win game one. I'm not sure about the series yet.
Speaker 1: Let's quickly touch on Clublands. It's a Tigers. They lost that the weekend. Yeah, Tigers, they're in a bit of trouble. We've got to buy this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah we couldn't. They're coming a better time, I think. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But the thing is that the really confusing thing I guess as a Tigers fan, just as a rugby league fan watching from the outside in.
Speaker 3: Is they're never like terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're always always there, and then they find a way to beat themselves, I guess.
Speaker 1: And twenty it was a twenty nil down on the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they got they got sixteen, sixteen and twenty.
Speaker 4: I think that they ended up getting to and they looked good and then just these little laps as the judgment.
Speaker 2: Well, this start the other day was it was horrendous down twenty twenty nil, playing catch up played some good footy, Lucky playing catch up was on fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah it looks great, Lucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what happens to them. And the Cowboys are the same, Like the cowboys.
Speaker 3: Go in and out.
Speaker 2: I think they were described in this game in commentary as a Jeckyl and Hyde in game Jeckyl and High team, and they really are. They have moments where you go, why are you guys struggling? Like it's got so many weapons in this team. But yeah, they go through their moments as well. Yeah, two real roller coaster teams going at it. But I don't know what happens with the Tigers. I don't know if it's confident, so I'm not sure they've been losing for such a long time. I don't know all these guys now, the players being shocked publicly, and that does to a club.
Speaker 1: They could probably take a leaf out of the Dog's book. We look at the Dogs in the way they're building the moment, they look as they've got some real momentum. Yeah, on their side, they lost Philliam Kickout. The news came out today Billy Army is going to be out four to six weeks after undergoing finger surgery. The great guster gust of a girl there now sat on his foot of feed which I'm blocked from. But Tyson, I think you've got not blocked blocked, So Tyson not yet. All over the after Gus a big fan of this podcast, both Jackson's on. But the Dog is that they look good. I was at the game. It was Thursday. Very just ripped and shred, very slipped.
Speaker 3: The second sexton was good. Yes, yeah, apparently.
Speaker 1: They only it was a rotational thing. It was a rest for Drew Hutchinson, so he might come back in well.
Speaker 4: Stefano got rested from game Game three of Origin last year and hasn't been seen since, so I don't know how that rested work. Yeah, it really works, especially after Toby sex and plays, so I'd.
Speaker 2: Suggest they rest him again. No offense to to Drew, but they look really good the Dogs. That was great footy. The best game came the week before. That's why, Like the best he.
Speaker 4: Had looked all year was the week before Toby got his first go, which is very baffling to some fans. But I mean, I think they're all cheering now, but Toby really looks like he's coming into his skin as a as a first grader and and yeah, it looks like he's a He's a great pick up for the Dogs.
Speaker 1: We should give a shout out to the mighty Gold Coast Titans as well. Yeah, that was an unbelievable game. Yesso.
Speaker 3: That was incredible, incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's you know, back to back weeks now we've seen two playing two great games where the sides have just gone at it like Crnalla and the Roosters was it was a great game, and then that one yesterday was just so good, throwing it around, nice open footy.
Speaker 1: Worried about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I yeah, yeah, it's I think I think at the time of the year that we're at, I think sadly a lot more players are more interested in state of origin selection than they are in winning a game for their club. And I think we might have seen that a bit with the Broncos yesterday. So for that reason, I'm not stressing about the Broncos yet, but I mean that's the wrong mindset to have, you know, leading into a game, and that probably is the reason why the Titans got it over them.
Speaker 1: That's the shortest show that We're a bit shorter because we've got to wind up. Yeah, so we should touch on the really important part of the week. Yes, what are you watching? What you got? What do you got for the Fians?
Speaker 3: Well, I offered up my show last week. I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: Sort of in between footy and watching old Seinfeld episodes and things like that. I don't watch a lot of new stuff. I just finished The Outside last week. It's just I won't talk about that again because I bought everyone with that last week.
Speaker 3: But James Willis from Daily Telegraph TV.
Speaker 2: He's tipically yes, so he's now my official TV show recommender.
Speaker 3: It's this term.
Speaker 2: He's my man SBS show called King. He's told me to watch this is Irish mafio. So yes, SBS, we're going all the way there. I don't know if he's setting me up here and I to apologize if you have lived on the King and we go, see here we go. Look at this's pretty good? Yeah, that's rightious bit of heavy handed work there. And yeah, look I think he's recognized that guy. Yeah yeah, very some familiar faces there. So anyway, I can't talk too much about this show. I'm learning more as we go by watching the cliff. There we go the King Kid, No, it's King Kid, Sorry.
Speaker 1: Get the name?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 1: What about what do you got for the fans?
Speaker 4: I started last night watching an old show called Dexter about a serial killer.
Speaker 3: I was probably about too younger. Yeah, when it came out. I was just starting you one or something watched.
Speaker 1: That's my vintage, but I never watched it.
Speaker 4: It's pretty just from the first episode, it's pretty gruesome for my liking.
Speaker 1: But it's about a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Expect what are we expecting when you turn on the show about a serial killer?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Me and my partner, we always say to each other, let's watch something together, and I said, let's watch this together because I won't be watching it by myself.
Speaker 2: So okay, yeah, that's what I've said. I think a serial killer to bring people together.
Speaker 1: I've got a movie recommended, Well, it's not I'm not going to recommend it because actually, wasn't that good. What's a movie called Muzzle on Netflix? Right? It's got Aaron Eckhard in it, who's got a prominent actors. I saw he was in I thought this would be okay. It's about it's got dogs. I like dogs and I like dogs. My wife didn't watch it with me, but it was about it. It's about a guy. He's a cop. It was a dog. He is a policeman who works with dogs. Now police dogs dog dies gets a bit of p DSD gets a new dog, and then goes searching for the Turner people. It's not a comedy. Searching for the people were responsible for the death of his first.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a B level John Wick to be here.
Speaker 1: It's not. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near the John Wick. John woks very good, very very good. But it was Look I've watched it, but it was I don't know. It's not one of those movies you watch again. Sorry for the bad recommendation.
Speaker 2: So you're not you recommending saying we stay Your recommendation is to stay away.
Speaker 1: What my recommendation is that if you've got nothing to do for an hour and a half and you're down there, you've just got no options left.
Speaker 2: Or if you're a Tigers fan and they're getting slaughtered literally out of.
Speaker 1: You've watched everything on TV across Netflix, Prime, Fox, Tell you've watched everything, of course, Dexter, you've watched everything and you've got no options left. Give muzzle a goo.
Speaker 3: Otherwise look elsewhere. What an endorsement.
Speaker 1: I'll try to do better next week. Thanks for joining us on the Jelly Telegraph Ineral podcast. Go Your Move