Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadical Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any First Nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people joining us.
Speaker 2: Today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 1: Well well, well, we've got a Close Friends episode coming to you on a Thursday afternoon if you're listening when it goes live, we've just skipped the queue. There's no Friday episode. We're getting in early because we need to strike while the iron is hot. Yep, and that iron being me getting absolutely robbed at the TikTok Awards last night. No, look, we can laugh about it, right if you don't laugh, ye're absolutely.
Speaker 2: I feel you were very much prepared to lose.
Speaker 1: I was, genuinely, it was so prepared, were prepared. I was not expecting to win at all, and I feel like our community was like backing us for the win, and thank you so much to everyone who voted for us. But like I said ages ago on this pod, the thing with like a public vote award is it is a popularity contest. And so after we lost last night, I was reflecting and like looking at all the different categories and we're gonna spill the tea on the night as well. But let me just talk about our award for a second. So I was reflecting on all the categories, right, and I said, this is a popularity contest. So there was, for example, some categories were highest quality content and like Video of the Year, and I don't know what are some of the other ones, like Live Creator of the Year, Live Creator of the Year, and for example our category Business of the Year. But when you look at those categories, you're not getting voted for what the category is. So like calla Day won our award, but that doesn't mean that they've won because they are the business of the year. They won because they are the most popular and got the most votes by their followers. Do you know what I mean? Like the person that got highest quality Content of the year doesn't actually mean that they have the highest quality content of the year, means they have the most fans that voted for them. So like, it's not really and like our community was all up in arms, and I made a funny post about it, which is on my Instagram if you want to go see it. I think it's not seventeen thousands. That's the most likes I've ever gotten on a fucking Instagram photo in a decade. And everyone's commenting, which is so nice. Everyone's like, you deserve this, You've worked so hard for seven years, You've built this from nothing, You're the trendsetter in the business, TikTok world, blah blah blah. I get all that, but at the end of the day, it's not a vote for like who runs their business the best or who's the most inspiring to other businesses. It's who has the most amount of followers that will vote. And the Clark family You've got millions and millions and millions of twelve year old fans, so I don't fucking stand a chance against that. And I'll tee another thing as well. I was sitting at the table with the Clark family now Cat Clark was hosting, and I will say I think it's really unfair that someone that was hosting could also be nominated for an award, especially when she's already won an award in previous years. I don't know about you, Matt, but in my mind, I think if someone's won an award in previous years, they shouldn't ever be able to be nominated again, like I reckon, they need to allow space for other people to be nominated. And the fact that she was a host gets me. And then she won. But I was sitting at their table and Jonathan is that the husband. He was super fucking nice, like I've never met I've never met the Clark family, and he was super lovely. Like we met and gave each other a hug, and I was like, congrats on all your success with the business, and he was like, oh, Like he was like singing praises to me. He's like, anytime we want to think of what we can do next, like we go and look at Fate and we say, what is Fate doing? And they're checking out our content And I know that we're a massive inspiration for a lot of other businesses out there, and I absolutely love that. So there's no hard feelings at all that we lost. At the end of the day, I was saying, if everyone there last night lost and no one won a single award, nothing would change, nothing would change. But it was pretty funny to see all our community or riled up. So you've been rolled. And then I made my joke Instagram post. But yeah, thanks to everyone that voted, because I know I hounded everyone here in high scrollers and on every corner of the Internet that I possibly could, but it wasn't enough. So everyone's gonna have to try harder next time. Please vote harder and better next time. But I don't think I can stand a chance against the twelve year old fans, because let me tell you, last night at the TikTok Awards, there were so many did you see, like all the ten eleven, twelve year old screaming here for.
Speaker 2: The class really wild. I haven't seen anything like that in this space for a very long time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, like people were commenting on my post, going who is callade? I've never heard of them? Or like I don't get it, And I say, like, we don't get it because we're not their target audience. Like their target audience is.
Speaker 2: Young kids, and the young kids are the ones who will vote because they've got the time. I mean, we love our audience, but we're all busy as well, you know. I just feel like the young kids, they're voting every single day, and I don't know, maybe some of the scrollers forgot one or two days, do you know what, because we've got a lot of things going on, you know, yeah, but yeah, I also feel it's just very very strange because take Food Creator of the Year that was Michael Finch. Michael Finch won that award two point five million followers. Michael Finch has love him, so happy for him. Love it up against hue as in the chef from TV.
Speaker 1: You know exactly, this is a thing like he's got.
Speaker 2: Ninety k he's got ninety thousand followers.
Speaker 1: Michael Finch's got two points in like food in our childhood, you know.
Speaker 2: So like, how's he going to go up against Michael Finch with two point five million? Of course Michael's going to win it again. Michael probably deserves it. I'm very happy for him, but like, you can't put Hueie ninety thousand followers up against something with two point five million.
Speaker 1: Is a popularity test for who has the most engaged fans and the most amount of fans. But I walked away. I'm like, you know what I said this before as well. We win every day at FATE, Like we have an amazing community, we have an amazing business, Like we're just we're winning every day anyway, and I think it was just fun to be nominated. Will I ever go again?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was gonna say, will you do it again? If they next year they say do it? It's too much hussle. That's what I too much.
Speaker 1: Hussle and out for, especially if you fucking lose. I'm like, fuck me, I've just promoted TikTok left, right and center and I fucking lost. But I would say, like, I think we need to get onto talking about the actual event itself, because you've been three times now too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two or three times. The first year it wasn't an awards. Well, they had Creator of the Year, I'm pretty sure, but the first year it was more like, I forget what they called it, but it was kind of just like performances and then they announced the Creative the Year. TikTok Awards then happened last year for the first time. This year, I will say it ran a lot more smoothly this year. I think like they did certain things like, for example, last year, the bar was open during the whole show, right, so people were going to the bar all night, which was obviously annoying while you're trying to run a show. People getting up and you know, they have ad breaks and stuff. So when the ads were on, like Sarah V sponsors the TikTok Awards, they had this little section. Last year, everyone was just talking the whole time and they because they did this really random, stupid dance this year. I was like, what the heck is going on? Sarah V dance? They did that this year because last year they couldn't keep our attention and everyone went to the bar. I think, I haven't got up and went for a wine because.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I was interested, Like this is obviously my first time going, but like I get it. It's a show. But like it started at seven and so there was food trucks outside beforehand, but then from seven to what when we were in there till nearly ten nine nine, there was no food and drink the entire time. Yeah, like smack bang at dinner time. And I will say the audience was fucking mid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh for sure.
Speaker 1: The atmosphere is the only person.
Speaker 2: Who stood up for the greater of the year.
Speaker 1: Like, the whole audience in Atmosphere was mid and like nearly towards the end, it was dying off so badly. And Robert Irwin bless him. He was really good, like he's a good talker, like he speaks so well because obviously they were all reading off teleprompters. And that's the other hard thing I found about being at the event is obviously the whole thing is for the live stream, so it doesn't come across genuine when you're in the room because you can see the huge teleprompters behind us, you can see them reading, you can see when they're reading too fast or too slow, So the whole thing feels inauthentic. And at one point he comes out and he just goes, Wow, the crowd here is electric.
Speaker 2: And it was like, no, I don't even think anyone did that. It was dead silent the whole.
Speaker 1: Room, like the whole night. After Shannon Nol came out, Everyone's like, yeah, they'd announced the winner.
Speaker 2: Jojo Siwa Like, I was like, is anybody gonna get up? Like I want to stand up? But I was like, I'm not gonna be the only one in the room. I didn't want to, like me, do you know what I mean? Like no one was standing up, and I wanted to get up and dance to Karma, which, by the way, just saying you know scrollers. Jojo Siwa was iconic.
Speaker 1: It was like it was the onroddom good thing of the night, Like she was the one that got the room the loudest. The rest of the night, I was literally messaging Matt and Kate, who was sitting like a bit away from me. I was messaging our group chat saying what the fuck is going on? Like the audience is asleep. I'm leaning over to Claire at our table, going what the fuck? This is embarrassing if we actually win because the audience is like mm yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what it was when someone would you know, Ashley Day I noticed was the first time I noticed she was announced as winner. Everyone give a big clap, yay. She still had like ten meters to go to the stage and it was dead silent. I was like, we're not still clapping, like everybody clap the es Well, it's like these people don't know how to act at an awards ceremony, you know what I mean. You clap until the person is on the stage and ready to you know, speak. And I don't know whether there's an air of like saltiness in the room.
Speaker 1: I think it was it felt it felt salty.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be fair, TikTok as I've said, we only said this a couple of weeks ago. It's the first platform that kind of does put people on a pedestal and does go these are the best creators, and these are the best creators, and if you're not one of those, like, oh, I find it is like, I mean, I absolutely am not salty that I don't get nominated for anything, But I can tell that people are salty because they're like, well, I've got more followers, I've been doing TikTok longer, I arguably make better videos, and these randoms have been nominated. So I think, like us just being in this industry, we're so used to other platforms just treating everyone the same on the same kind of playing field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is creating like a popularity contest in an app that kind of is still a popularity contest every day anyway, because everyone's out there trying to get the most amount of views.
Speaker 2: But like, oh, here we go, Hannah's got a question pop on in Doh what would you like to know?
Speaker 1: Only like because I clicked on it looking because I was like, has fate one yet? Has one yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because I was ready for you to win. But the thing that I find about it is like you guys saying that the crowd is dead and all of that stuff. Do you think because TikTok is a social media platform where people are so used to creating in solitude by themselves. It's so different to like say a Logis or an Arias or like an award show like that, where all the people in media trained because they come from that entertainment industry where you're really interacting with other people with directors, casts made up I don't know versus vibe was just weird in the room. I noticed it the same with like the hosts, Like I was like, you guys, are not they trained?
Speaker 2: They were missing Okay, okay, this is actually what I don't love about the whole thing. Yeah, that's these these people who aren't trained to do any of this get these opportunities because why, I don't know. And I mean, God, bless Indie Clinton. Love her. She's a fucking vibe. Love your babe. If this ever gates back to you, love ya. But I tell you didn't want to host. I could tell you didn't want to be there. Kat Clark didn't want to be there either.
Speaker 1: And she was like, wow, that's amazing, like it was giving I can't be mee and I will say Rock.
Speaker 2: Had a great job, and it was really weird. It was like she was so nervous and I was like, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. I will gladly stand up there and give you a performance. Like give it to someone who actually like wants to be on the stage.
Speaker 1: Tell Robberwin he is the one with the media training, because he was like all right, everyone, like he was getting into it. Where the others. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Cat Clark did a good job. I know she, I think gets really nervous about those sorts of things, but she still wants to do it. My vibe with Indy and I could be wrong, but I feel like Indy was thrown into that and she was like, I don't know what the bloody hell I'm doing. I'm just going to make jokes about this, that and everything and get on with the bloody show, you know. And God love her. I hope she had a good time, but I would love to see someone who like actually knows entertain it handle the crowd. And also, you know, Indy was throwing a few curve balls that I felt she couldn't really recover from there, and she didn't really know what to do, and God bless her. It was her first time probably doing something like that, and I'm not trying to tear her down, but I'm just saying there are probably other people who could have got opportunities like that and made it a more cohesive.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say, like Bridy Drake one Creator of the Year this year, and then I'm sure maybe she'll get the opportunity next year to host, and I could see someone like her maybe being a bit more like I don't know, you don't reckon, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Again, love her, love Brady, but I'm like, I haven't seen her hosts, I haven't seen her present, so I'm like, who knows. That's what my reaction was there. I was like, well, who knows? We don't bloody nothing.
Speaker 1: Giving, like very aussy, like Australian, like a bit chaotic.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the cameras. Can we talk about the cameras? Oh?
Speaker 1: Like when they go around to the tape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there were two tables for your category, yes, And when they were announcing Business of the Year, all of the cameras were on your table and there were not three other creators on the other table.
Speaker 1: So they like the cameras give away who's winning because they're they're waiting as like they're showing all the nominees, but the cameras are pointing straight at the winner, like there's a camera crew right there in front of the table.
Speaker 2: They get ready, you know, two minutes before the winner is announced. So there's three cameras and all three of them appointing.
Speaker 1: I think they should have like a decoy one that even if fake camera that isn't even recording, like pointing to the other table, and the.
Speaker 2: People who have the cameras they don't even care. One guy I saw had a camera on a certain table and the lady goes na not that one cis table and turned it away from other nominees for whatever category it was, yeah, and put the camera. So those nominees now knows that if they're not winning, and it's obviously I mean, you know, in your case, Kate and I were getting quite excited because you and Calade were sitting on the same table, so we're like, well, it's between one of them because they're not even putting the camera on the other nominees on the other table, So we did have a bit of hope there, but I think it was hard to tell from where I was sitting, from where you were sitting, did you know because of the cameras.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could see exactly who they were, Like the cameras were focused on and that's like two minutes before they announced it, so like, yeah, we all know obviously, but that's again, the whole show is set up for the live stream, so you could tell it's not for the people in the audience kind of thing. And I think that's also why there was a disconnect with the audience and why the audience was kind of mid because the whole thing wasn't for us in the room. It was for the live stream. Like you could tell, like the hosts weren't really looking at the audience. They're looking straight down the camera that's in front of them. And I don't know, it was an interesting experience. I don't think i'd ever bother going again, like coming from fucking Newcastle all the but like, I'm glad we went and it was good fun, Like I was excited to be nominated. We had to accept our nomination as well, By the way, we got an email to say, like do you want to be nominated? TikTok, like contacted us that way. Interesting experience. Jojo Sibell was actually the highlight of the whole thing. She was really good and again like Jojo presented award in the music category and the winner wasn't there anyway, But when she came out to present, you could tell she was media trained because out of all the people presenting the awards, she captivated my attention. I was like, I'm fucking listening, Like she spoke so well, was engaging. I don't know, I don't know what it is. You can just definitely tell a difference between those that are media trained and those that aren't. One last question. I saw that both of you got pictures with Ozzie Brow Squad. Yes, tell me more. They were actually really nice boys, and the mum was really nice.
Speaker 2: It was so lovely.
Speaker 1: She was fearing like a navy gown, like with a little navy shawl over the shoulders, kind of like from Suzanne's or something.
Speaker 2: And they're from the Central Coast, so we bonded over that. Yes, obviously that's where I'm from.
Speaker 1: And you know what I've got to say they're getting way better at dancing, like they are improving, and they did a little spontaneous dance in the crowd as well. Plus did you get a photo too, Mat? Yeah? Yeah, love it. They were cute. I think they're all right, and everyone was really concerned about them. Yeah, but they're fine. They seemed to love it.
Speaker 2: Who else is there? Shed and bloody now? And everyone was so mid when he came out again, I was like, am I meant to stand up? Or am I gonna be in the way of a camera for the live stream? You know what I mean? Like I was like, no one else is standing up? But also see that was strange as well, Like I did feel majority of the performances weird choices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a DJ set, like that guy that did the DJ set, but like everyone seated and like no one got into it.
Speaker 2: I know. It was just really strange anyway, Like I had a cam time, and then of course they went to the after party afterwards and had a great night there.
Speaker 1: You've still got your sunny afters.
Speaker 2: I know I've got my sunny's on. I'm really struggling today, but it is what it is. Oh, I just love hanging out with everyone. Finally met Stephanie.
Speaker 1: May yep I met Ebonie May.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: She was so cute it wasting.
Speaker 2: On the stage at Universal Together last night. She's a vibe, I said, Ebonie May, you are an icon. I kept yelling that at her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the best part of the night. Honestly for me, was like, because I know you got their late ish, Matt, but I got there fucking four thirty and it didn't start till seven, And the best part was like the two and a half hours outside before, just like meeting everyone that we follow online and just being like, hello, I know you. So that was the best big for me.
Speaker 2: I got there a little bit late and they had they have two here's some tea for you. They had two lines for the red carpet, so they had line A and line B, and I got line B and I thought, oh, mine B. I'm not a mind bloody hell. Laane A, well, they pulled the wool over our click, so to speak, because Lane B was the fancy lane and Laane A was not so fancy lane. If you've got a ticket for Lane A, you just got your photo on the wall, I think. And Lane B, which was what I was in. Oh my god, Angela Bishop was interviewing me. I was doing twelves for Channel seven. They've asked if I want to be on Dancing with the Stars, I've got pedestrian TFA, I've got Binge interview on me. I was pouring myself out to all the media on Lane B of the carpet and I bloody loved it. And then they even pulled me in I think to go on the TikTok Live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, AJ was watching that sendime videos of home.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I wasn't. I didn't even No one even told me. Someone just grabbed me and said, come with me, jump in there. And I've jumped in and I'm going I don't know, bloody, are where this is going. I'm trying not to swear.
Speaker 1: I got interviewed on that side too, and now asked me questions that I just wasn't prepared for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's like.
Speaker 1: What's a trend that you hope to see die next year? And I'm like, God, I can't even think of what trends. Fuck, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I actually, in all my experience of Red Carpets and doing all the media TikTok red carpet the last few years is always the hardest questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't think, Like it was like, fuck Mary kill TikTok trends, And I'm like, how am I supposed to think of that off the top of my fucking head?
Speaker 2: What are the top three trends you're loving right now? I'm like, I can't even think the one right now. I'm sweating. I'm overheating. It's hot. And then they also said, what's your favorite dance move or something? And I said what it was? I said, I said the worm and they go, prove it. I mean a fucking gown. Love, I'm not. I'm not doing the fucking worm on the red What are you mean? I mean, give it a rest, you know. So Anyway, next year, whoever does the TikTok bloody media wall, can you ask? Question the questions? Some simple ones? Okay, especially given we've been getting ready all day, doing all the things, doing all the content. My brain's fried by the time I'm on that carpet.
Speaker 1: Love. Anyway, I think that's all we really have to say for today. There might be a few more bits in next week's main episode. Yeah, I think that's all for now.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: We better go because Hannah's got to upload this today.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we'll see you next Tuesday.