Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the podcast Fear and Greed business news. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mamma TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcast books, Instagram threads, TikTok and more. Hello Canna.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Every time I start that, I now laugh about about the time that I accidentally called you sugar mummy. Anyway, moving very quickly along from that, today's topic deals with something that I suspect that we have all struggled with at some point. I know I certainly have, and that is deciding what to tackle first when you are trying to come up with your financial goals. For instance, you pay down the mortgage first, or do you build up emergency money? Or do you start investing? Do you add to your super do you save for your kids education? Do you save for a holiday? Do you try and do everything all at once? Which is probably pretty unlikely because there is just a limited amount of money In the end, it would be great to do it all but when there is only kind of that certain amount of cash, then you need to start making some decisions and start prioritizing some life goals. Can we are going to get some help today in talking about this topic. It is an interesting one. Lucy Winship is the head of Ventures at Noble Oak which is a supporter of this podcast. She's also the founder of Wealth Maximizer, which is a program that we've talked about before on this podcast, which is basically helping people set and reach their financial goals. Lucy, welcome to how do they afford that?
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Now, Before we get into this, obviously, we just need to mention that this information is of a general nature only and doesn't take into consideration your objectives, financial situation or needs. Consider if it's right for you, read the Financial Services Guide and tees and c's on site before proceeding. Wealth Maximizer is operated by Noble Oaks Services Limited ACN one one two nine eight one seven one eight AFSL two eight six seven nine eight. Wealth Maximizer took a very big breath really announcing this, making giving it a bit of grandeur around it. Wealth Maximizer, can you give us the elevator pitch basically what it does, how does it actually work?
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: So our mission is to make financial advice affordable, accessible and easy to use for Australians, noting there's a big gap in the industry basically because most people can't afford to pay the four K that it costs for plus yeah aiding from yeah traditional advice. So we've tried to make it a lot more affordable accessible by building a digital platform that does a lot of the maths, the cash flow projections and working out if you can actually afford your goals, and combining it with one to one wealth coaching so that you actually get supported education that you need and and empathetic support as you actually follow your financial plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's a really interesting business model because I never I think it's brilliant and I think it's very much needed to help, I guess, ease people into financial planning. You know, it's like it can be very intimidating and overwhelming, and this is a really gentle approach, which I love. It's also incredibly unique. I don't know if any other financial planning times that offer this, Like where did the idea come from?
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of there was a combination of people having a similar idea at the same time. The core of making it more affordable is just something I think a lot of people in the industry want to do. Oh it's so important, I just need to otherwise people can't access it. Most people can't.
Speaker 2: It makes the situation worse, and ironically, people who need it the most people who can't afford it. So this is I think this is so honorable and admirable that you're doing this. We like to think, so.
Speaker 1: Look, can I ask you then? The reason why we want to talk to you about this is because it is so easy to be overwhelmed with options. And I mean I am a very aspirational person. I have a lot of big dreams and big goals financially, but it is hard to choose what to do. And I mentioned in the intro that in the end, there's only so much money, like your pay packet has to kind of be split so many different ways, right how.
Speaker 2: But also to point out you've only got so much time. There's only sort of hours per day, like are you going to spend your time learning and education about VESTA or are you going to focus on superannuation? Or are you going to spend your time doing a budget and looking at how to pay off the mortgage?
Speaker 1: Sudent?
Speaker 2: Like, sorry, I do not need to interject over you.
Speaker 1: But you actually know me better than I know myself, because that is probably that is the big issue.
Speaker 3: And I have.
Speaker 1: Complained to you about this in the past that in the end, it's the it's the time, and it's these money blocks and things that you go, Okay, I know I need to be doing all of these things, but I just don't even know where to get started. Why is it so hard to choose between these big goals and actually to say, Okay, I'm just going to focus on one and get going. But why is it's so hard to peak?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a really interesting problem because it feels like if you've got a long list, like we should just go through it. But all of your goals are super emotional, so it's like, how do you actually choose, Like wanting to own a home is actually a sense of security, and wanting to give you know, private education to your kids is like love and legacy and yeah, so like how can you actually choose between those? And I think that can be really overwhelming for people and not being able to kind of pinpoint exactly how much they're going to need to achieve these goals and when they want to achieve them means that people, I think just get completely overwhelmed and just don't know where to start.
Speaker 2: And then they don't do anything. They just stuck. And then two three is time has gone past and you're thinking, why am I in the same situation and which I've made no progress? Yeah, exactly, which then can make you even feel worse and even more stuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's also the big question of kind of what do you want to achieve? What's your goal that you want to achieve? And if someone kind of you have asked me that on this podcast in the past, and I'm like, you're in the headline and I have no idea because you go, okay, I want financial freedom. Great, that's a big that's a big picture goal. But what is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And that is one of the things that I like about wealth Maximize it because almost as a as a thought starter, like as to help with the process, you actually have a list of dozens of potential financial goals that you can just go through it. And there are things like kind of build an emergency savings fund, improve your credit score, pay off a student debt if that's relevant to you, go on holidays, move overseas to live, start a new or purchase an existing business. And they are really quite specific and they cover a huge range of things. It's really valuable that kind of thing, just to help you go all right, that is actually how I kind of verbalize, how I actually put into words what I want to achieve.
Speaker 3: And what we've tried to approach as well. Is I think a lot of the time people think a goal is actually more of a hope or a dream. It's a bit like nebulous, and you don't you can't really pinpoint it. So I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You can see that I'm classic client seeing right here in front.
Speaker 1: That's right. And also I'm hearing things coming out of your mouth that I've heard coming out of Cana as well. When you were talking about the fact that I say, yeah, I want kind of financially no, be specific, what do you actually want?
Speaker 2: Money loves definition and clarity exactly. We don't do flaky.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: It feels like I'm a high risk of getting ganged up on in the studio. And sorry, Lucy, I interrupted you.
Speaker 3: That's so, how do you go from kind of a nebulous hope or dream into a goal? And that's all about, you know, the smart goals approach that I think people use at work. Sometimes they don't tend to use it in their own life as much. So yeah, specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time time specific as well.
Speaker 1: Acronym Yeah, why kind of Actually this is now a question for you. Why is that so important to actually nail down a specific goal in terms of, say you want to pay your mortgage off by the time you're fifty or something like that. Is it because you can actually be more deliberate in the actions that you take towards it. Because I know that you've told me again and again just don't be vague, be specific.
Speaker 2: If you take this like scatter gun approach, you're going to make barely any progress. The results are going to be I don't mean to be harsh, but maybe a little bit like poor and pathetic, underwhelming. Yes, mean today, Oh my god, what's happened? Or maybe yeah, maybe that's normal to be mean, And you also can be lacking a huge amount of inefficiency, whereas if you actually pause, add some details and definitions and apply the smart acronym, you know, application to your goals. You'll see greater progress, which I always say fuels even you know, further progress. It's like, Okay, this is working. I'm inspired, I'm excited. I'm going to keep going with this, and you can start to almost form like like I always call like a hit list. You go, all right, I'm going to tackle the budget first, and then once I've done that, I will then move on to looking at the home loan and negotiating a better deal with my homelan. Once I've done that and got that out of the way, I'll then look at investing. You can kind of have a bit of an order of events and almost like a schedule or an itinery, you know, like you would do for a holiday, and you're going to just have far better outcome within the year. And if you think about the course of investing in you know it's thirty years, it's just very different where you end up and what you the confidence you build along the way with education that you gain from a financial planner or a wealth coach, as well as the experience.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've kind of we've established the basis for this. Then you need to have goals, and you need to not be vague with your goals. You need to be specific. The big question and I keep coming back to this, and this is one now for you, Lucy, how do you decide which goal is first, and which goal is second, and which god is third? How do you actually prioritize these things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question. So I think, well, how we've built it a wealth maximizer is that you think of it more about kind of what is time sensitive? What are the things that you actually do need to do in a certain timeframe. Is it having a child because there's a biological clock, And also considering things like is one goal going to enable another? So yes, maybe I can't afford buy a property now and I won't be able to for four or five years, but if I start investing, that actually can contribute towards that other goal as well. So there's a couple of factors that you can think about when you're balancing them. What we do as well is we offer a free goal setting session with our West coaches so that you can actually talk through those options. They can balance those things with people.
Speaker 2: That's so valuable. How does one sign up to that asking for a friend.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's the friend Michael Thompson or Canon Campbell.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got goals coming out of my ears.
Speaker 1: You have no problem for goals? Yes, yes, we've established who the target in this room is right now.
Speaker 3: So if you go to wealthmaximizer dot com, dot au forward slash, how do they afford that you can actually just book on there?
Speaker 2: That's an exclusive we're doing for you guys.
Speaker 1: At the moment, I love any website with How do they afford that a bargain?
Speaker 2: What a great inspira session.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to take a quick break. When we come back, I want to talk about them the financial side, cash flow and savings and those things, how you work those into the goals as well, and how Wealth Maximizer can kind of factor all of those into achieving some of these goals. We'll be back in a second. We are talking today about competing life goals and basically how to decide what on earth you are supposed to do first, and we are joined in the studio by Lucy Winship from Noble Oak, which is a supporter of this podcast, and we've been talking about the Wealth Maximizer program and the part that I really love and I just keep on. Like even just then during the break, I was just scrolling through the list of potential goals. Kind that's a good one anyway, And to me that is really valuable, those potential goals because it crystallizes kind of and really targets where you are heading. How does the money side of at work in terms of your cash flow, your savings, all of these little bits and pieces. How does Wealth Maximizer then actually work with your current circumstances to actually help you achieve these goals.
Speaker 3: So what we do is that you, as customers start to get going with Wealth Maximizer, you put in a bit about your financial situation, so income, your expense, any assets you have, any debt you hold, and then if you choose to sign up for one of our packages, we put all that information into our smart platform and it calculates how likely you are to achieve your goals in the time frame and to the amounts that you've kind of set.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's cool, and it considers like competing ones as well, So can you actually take time off or print or leave at the same time as you know, planning to buy an investment property? Is that that we've put quite a lot of it into.
Speaker 2: So kind of peels back the layers and allows you to go, actually, how realistic is this? But also you've got the benefit of heart, not hindsight. Foresight, Yeah we can go you know what, Okay, these conflict or I'm trying to do too much? Yeah, this is unrealistic. I'm sitting myself up a failure. I'm now going to pick one or two as a priority and just maybe park that for in say three is time or four years time exactly. So you're still committed to your journey of financial wellbeing and improving your financial situation, but you're it's not like you're sacrificing or you're wasting time. You're actually still progressing on in the right direction to you today.
Speaker 3: And it's also like once you have a conversation with your wealth coach, you can work out how to maybe you want to reset expectations. Maybe it's it is important for you in that timeframe, so maybe you want to bring them out and things like that.
Speaker 2: And that's such a good point because your financial strategy and journey should evolve with you because we go through different life stages. But also things happen in life, good and bad, and you have a bit of a shake up, or you know, you step into on a different path that you'd never expect to do, and your value system changes, and what you thought was important isn't anymore. Like I know, when I was younger, if I had kids, I was so motivated to invest and build wealth. But when I had children, it was such an awakening and suddenly it was more about protection and about stability, and about time and peace of mind. So it's so important that you can allow people to adjust their goals safely without feeling like, you know, they've made a mistake and got to start it all over again. They can tweak it and keep heading in the right direction. Is that what I'm saying? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And really, at the end of the day, money is just supposed to be the enabler that helps you live the life you want. Yeah, And the life you want will change, and that's okay. You just need to be able to adapt adapt. I like that, not sitting stone.
Speaker 1: No, that's good. A quick question for you, Kenna. In the midst of all of this, I really like the fact that Lucy, as you're saying this, so that you can kind of model these things and see how it's going to go, because there would be a risk Canna that if you were trying to do too many things at once and without being able to see how it would play out, that you can actually spread yourself too thin.
Speaker 2: Right, and then you're burnt out and you're not engaged anymore with your finances, and you know, it can be a bit of a downward spiral, you know, on many different levels, not just financially, and.
Speaker 1: Also there would come a point where you actually need to be putting a certain amount of money into make a meaningful impact. Right, if you were trying to do a little bit on a whole bunch things, then you're not actually going to reach that kind of critical mass point at which it starts to make a difference to your financial future. You've just done a whole like ten different little things and not actually achieved anything on any of them, rather than focusing on one or two goals and using this tool, for instance, using wealth Maximizer to actually model how that would look.
Speaker 2: Particularly when you think about investing. You know, if you've got ten different savings accounts, but really what would work for you is actually not saving But you know, doing a different split of say seventy percent investing thirty percent of saving. Where's that going to end up in the long run? And particularly you look at you know, the magic of compounding interests of a long run, it can take you into it you're landing in a very different destination, a much more stable, safer, secure, and even more luxurious destination.
Speaker 1: What's the take home, Like, if you could get one message out there, is it about taking action now? Because as you just alluded to, kind of the power of kind of compounding interest and everything is get started early, get these goals set in place, because while it's never too late to get started, there is an obvious benefit to getting started earlier.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, so yeah, definitely take action now, get proper clarity, really set clear goals for yourself. And then also you don't have to do it alone, like maxpens, we can help, but there's yeah, actually making sure that you've got you're turning your goals into a plan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the most important thing. And someone's holding your hand, listening to you, and you've got a human being that you can call and they've.
Speaker 3: Seen it from other people's perspectives.
Speaker 1: And no judgment, Okay, so, and that's it's impossible to kind of overstate how much of a relief it is when you actually do talk to somebody when you go through this and start to clarify, because I'm talking like a new convert having recently gotten gone through a similar process, when you actually do have these conversations about your money, and when you actually say, hey, I would love to be able to travel overseas every two years, or I would love to be able to pay off the home line. I'd love to be able to have schooling options open to us for the kids and not limited because of finances. Once you actually start talking about these things and once you start going through this list of goals and clarifying it, it is actually an incredible feeling to have that out there. And that's what I love about wealth maximizers. It actually does open that up to more people because of the system that is in place that it is targeting a group of people who may not be able to afford the full four five six thousand dollars package, which is a lot of money, particularly in a cost of living crisis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, all.
Speaker 1: Right, if people want to talk to you, chat more about all of this, talk to one of Wealth Maximizers wealth coaches. It is the website is the best place to go.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Wealthmaximizer dot com dot au and then slash how do they afford that to get access? So the goal setting call, You can also call us on one three zero zero two four nine zero eight four.
Speaker 1: Just remember that went straight off the top of your head. I can barely remember my own phone number, let alone kind of if you asked me to call the station that we're recording in right now, I have no idea of what the number is. That's quite quite impressive, Canna. This is very much aligned with what we talk about, isn't it with it.
Speaker 2: Just about it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Every week we talk about the need to just to try and make financial advice more accessible to people. This is actually a really nice thing to hear.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like you actually get to incorporate this into your everyday life. And we all know that you know, daily habits stacked up over three hundred and sixty five days, have a powerful outcome.
Speaker 1: Lucy, thank you for joining us, Thanks so much for having me. That was Lucy Winship, the head of Ventures at Noble Oak, which is a supporter of this podcast, and that the website for Wealth Maximizer wealth maximizer dot com dot au slash how do they afford that? If we want more information from you, where do we find you?
Speaker 2: The best place to contact me is through Instagram at Sugar Mama TV, and.
Speaker 1: You can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed, daily business news for people who make their own decisions. Thank you very much for listening to how do They Afford That? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And the best thing you can do is tell somebody else send them this episode, Send them a link to this very episode if they if you think it might be a value to them, and help spread the word about how do they afford that? Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.