Speaker 1: Apod Shape Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode about My Bad Mum podcast.
Speaker 1: It's just crazy to think that this is like the first term down and done. Yeah, Like I know that when you first have children, everyone says you blink, just blink and it's gone.
Speaker 3: I do feel like that with high school.
Speaker 1: Genuinely think that for high school, like for primary school.
Speaker 3: Holly said to me the other day, she was like, what.
Speaker 1: She'll have literally one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, She's got seven terms of school left. That's after like with having this fun down seven terms, Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, and then, what are you gonna do? I feel like, all of a sudden, I got like a panicky feeling of.
Speaker 3: What they gonna do. They need to plan. I know we don't have a plan.
Speaker 1: But they do because they're doing that tafe course and stuff, so they'll have it kind of a clear understanding of what they like and what they don't like. Surely by grade eleven, they would write.
Speaker 2: It feels like, all of a sudden, this end of schooling has come, and I'm excited by so much of it. Like I am so excited to not have to buy lunchbox food, and not have to pay school fees and not have to wash uniforms. Like I'm excited by so much of it, and also I'm excited for them because I'm like, I know how good it feels when you leave school and you're like freedom.
Speaker 1: I think you don't actually know. You're so lost with what you're meant to be doing when you finish school.
Speaker 3: Because it's been your whole life.
Speaker 1: You've had a routine in a structure for that long. You're like, what do I do? Where do I go? Who do I spend my time with? No, mate, just get a job. That's what you need to do until you figure it out, because life is expensive. I need an honest opinion from you. What age did your daughters and you have to own if they don't, What age did your daughters start ironing their own uniforms? They don't iron, okay, but uniforms because they are in a formal uniform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no one iron the uniforms. We don't know any uniforms.
Speaker 1: What do they do?
Speaker 2: It's just a dress that oh wash, hang on the line, and it goes back in the wardrobe.
Speaker 1: Oh so it doesn't need it. It's kind of like a really easy one that doesn't need to or you're all down with like creases.
Speaker 3: Both, But no, it doesn't need it. It doesn't need it.
Speaker 1: Some of the material genuinely doesn't. No.
Speaker 2: I know, we talk often about how many jobs mums have, and we have a lot. We carry the mental load, we.
Speaker 3: Look after the house, the pets, whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One thing I don't do is iron jay shop, and I don't have that much that needs ironing, whereas he's got.
Speaker 3: Shirts and yeah, so I think the ironing lady.
Speaker 1: Okay, So where I'm getting to with this is Gracie's new formal uniform, which he has three out of five days with her high school. It needs to. The material is horrendous to the point that you wash it and you hang it properly, you throw it like you shake it out so that the creases don't comes out still so creased.
Speaker 3: It's annoying.
Speaker 1: So now we're like, what are we talking? We're like ten weeks in to turn one, and I'm very good at ironing. If I want to be, If I want to be Sam, I used to when he was first playing football, I would iron his shirt for that post game. They have to be in like a formal shirt. I did that for a little hot second. I think we got engaged and then I stopped. But he had also said I don't mind doing that because he likes ironing, right, probably like Jay. Now fast forward to having a daughter now in high school, and I remember starting high school, so old school nettle skirts have tiny, tiny pleats. My mom's job of that would just be would be horrendous. So I would kick and I would just be like, what is wrong with you? This is still shit? Like to my mum. My mom was like, if you can do better, do it, go load it up. So now here i am fast forward to having my own child, and I'm like, not that she's told me that my job is not very good, but I was like, you need to learn how to iron. Here's your job. Every Sunday. You need to iron the three skirts and the three shirts. That's it, I'm telling you, Katie. The tears, the crying, the screaming, the whining, this like constant why she irons for the whole time She's moaning about how bad her life is, so bad that her friends don't and none of them do this, all of their moms do this. I was like, well, you're not them, and I'm not their mothers. I said, but when you're twenty and you've got a job and you're living out a home, I said, you'll thank me because you'll know how to iron, you know about presentation, and you know how to present yourself the way that you should be to the rest of the world. Yep, she does it. We've done this now. I think this is the third Sunday. Oh my god, Katie, I was like.
Speaker 3: And I almost gave in, yeah, because it's easier to do yourself. I can't listen to it.
Speaker 1: I can't do it. I can't give in.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you can't. God's stay strong, stay strong.
Speaker 1: So then her alarm goes off and she's like, oh, I said, why is your alarm set for five forty? She because I forgot to iron my last shirt and skirt for today, and I went, oh, that sucks. And you know, deep down, I was like, oh, just be a fucking good mum and say I'll do that one for you so that you don't have to get up at five forty. She still did not get up at five footy jef y and do it, but I genuinely was like, just be a good mom. And it will take you five minutes, it takes her twenty. Like it's but I didn't do it. I was like, no, this is not teaching her anything if I give it now. But the thing I just thought of with yours, yours are at the back end of it, and I thought, maybe you're still ironing for them.
Speaker 2: No, I would rather hang stuff up to drop the creases out with the steam from the shower. We talk about hacks.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: There's always work that does not always work.
Speaker 3: Well it works.
Speaker 4: Ish am I a bad mum for not being ready for the jelly cat trend?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Like no one's bank is ready for the jelly caat trend.
Speaker 1: I'm having like this moment where I feel like I'm a hundred. There's numerous reasons why. One is because I go to this particular gym on different mornings and some of the other members are in their mid early mid twenties and I'm having chat with them, Oh, you know what's on this weekend, and they're like, we're having a jelly cat party. And I was like, jelly cat. Now, my girl's ten and twelve, right or nine? Eleven, ten or twelve? It is a particular soft toy brand. Yeah, anyone that doesn't know is started off originally as Rabbits now has a range of animals that you can buy, but it is a specific toy. So he's twenty or so, let's just say twenty. They're in their twenties are having jelly cat parties where they're buying jelly cats for each other or they swap and trade them.
Speaker 3: Early twenties, what happened to.
Speaker 2: Me doing speed and drinking cutting?
Speaker 1: In my head, I was like, let's go back to being twenty five. What was I doing on twenty five? I was flying around the world, putting way too much, having miscur sex with people that I didn't know in different countries. But I wasn't having jelly cat bunnies. No, Oh my god. And then I was thinking, did I, like, have I missed something? Have I maybe, like, you know, not allowed my own children to have soft toys long enough? Like? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: It's kind of a lot more healthy and wholesome than I felt like we were in our early twenties.
Speaker 1: But I'm taking away from it. I think that if it works for you, that works for you.
Speaker 2: But they are soft. They are soft toys. And they are really fucking expensive, overpriced soft toys for.
Speaker 3: What they are now.
Speaker 2: Jellycat is a company from the UK. They have obviously done some really.
Speaker 3: Good TikTok advertising talk job.
Speaker 1: Marketing campaign right, yeah you're on TikTok. Yeah I'm not on TikTok, so I would not have a clue where the campaigns come from. Why are they having parties?
Speaker 2: That's not a party, it's not It's like fucking TopWare parties. Remember you had a top wear party once you told everyone it was toperware parties, it was sex toys, it was sex and then you had to go around to the moms in the school playground with their orders.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, here's your order.
Speaker 1: That was a wild It's just seeing that in my head that is a party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just reminded me this is completely off topic. While I was talking to someone the other day and she has a like a caravan business, like she sells camper vans. She went, oh, this is not what I always did. She said, I actually used to travel around in a camper van to remote areas of the outback selling sex toys. I was like, what a great job. Who when they haven't gone adult shop on every corner like they have here in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: But how are you advertising? You don't know what is the marketing?
Speaker 3: Just knocking on doors like avon, Hi.
Speaker 1: My name is Rachel. I am I'm selling sex Squeeze. If you're interested? What the fuckdoo?
Speaker 3: Honestly everybody has needs.
Speaker 2: That definitely was the market for it. I mean I don't know how well she did, but I imagine I.
Speaker 1: Just want to know how she did. What an opening line was that would be a tough cell to Oh.
Speaker 2: How's your day going? Beautiful weather we're having here? What's your sex life like?
Speaker 3: Do you have a man? Do you need one?
Speaker 1: Go down that line that track of like, Hi, yes, great, this is so fantastic. Have you ever made this caravan shake? Have you ever made this caravan rock and roll? If you know what I mean? And they'd be like woman all about. I've got a few products that might make you, yeah, be able to achieve this. Anyway, How do we get there?
Speaker 3: A jelly cat? I will tell you. We're a house of six jelly cats.
Speaker 1: You see, your daughter's is sixteen? Are you jelly cat?
Speaker 2: And they're buying them for like their birthday and stuff at this age. When I look at what Gracie is in two, I'm like, I could tell you.
Speaker 3: What's going to be next on the list.
Speaker 2: I feel like sometimes I'm like, Okay, is she wearing one teaspoons yet?
Speaker 3: Does she have a white fox?
Speaker 2: Who is she?
Speaker 3: Interphagus? Brent Green water bottles? Does she have one yet?
Speaker 1: There's another one now? Awala?
Speaker 3: The girls are into Stanley's.
Speaker 1: No, so yeah, we've got one Stanley. Stanley doesn't work in our family.
Speaker 3: Are They're saying to me, Mommy need to get Stanley. I'm like, it's not practical. You can't tip it up.
Speaker 1: No, it's just it's leaks.
Speaker 3: How do you put in your bag?
Speaker 1: Don't see that Stanley's are useful for anyone apart from the fact that it looks like you're carrying around like a wheely bin the size of a wheeliband.
Speaker 2: Because the idea is that it fits in your car drink holder. Because it's small at the bottom and then fatter at the top that still contains a lot of water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the new one is called it in a wala or something like that. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't obviously know about that.
Speaker 3: The water bottle Camart do insulated water bottle.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm going to say to that one. Yeah, because we know how I feel about came out. It's still a soft spot from when our lags brought them a rain jacket. But the rain jacket actually is a waterproof so it's kind of weird. On that note, just to wrap this up, actually, I was lucky enough to get an early birthday present.
Speaker 3: A jelly cat.
Speaker 1: No, a fucking wet weather jacket. A rain jacket, it's waterproof.
Speaker 3: Oh good.
Speaker 1: What did you want for your birthday, Rachel? For your forty earth a rain jacket?
Speaker 2: No, I said, no one else, No, no, don't buy me a rain jacket.
Speaker 1: I don't need a macpack waterjacket. I'm not intending to go out into cyclonic weather anytime soon.
Speaker 3: No, I mean you did.
Speaker 2: I did the one cyclone we had that hit Brisbane. You were out there in a rain jacket that wasn't waterproof.
Speaker 1: I thought it was waterproof when I sent it with my child on a campspe.
Speaker 3: He looked like a drowned hat. Channel nine news reader.
Speaker 2: When there's a storm, or there's weather, or there's weather being on the news, it's like put that reporter in the worst hit area. I want to see a fallen tree behind it. Find a fallen tree, and now yourself in front of it.
Speaker 1: Now, cute wind.
Speaker 3: Put the wind on.
Speaker 1: Anybody got fans.
Speaker 2: The cameraman's got camera in one hand and the leaf blower in the other.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's really hairy out here. Back to you in the studio.
Speaker 1: Anyway is our topic of conversation and podcast about parentings, and I remember how it started.