Speaker 1: I had to call the an ram the other day because I burst at tire and he said the number one call out is Ford Rangers.
Speaker 2: Yeah for just breakdowns. Sure he isn't there? Absolutely crap.
Speaker 3: The rage driver.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. Australia is known for its slang, but the exported brand Crocodile dumdee or Steve Irwin doesn't really do it justice.
Speaker 3: Throw a shrimp on the barb thank you.
Speaker 1: It's a bit like Foster's the Australian beer, enjoyed overseas that no one actually drinks in Australia. Real Australian slang, handed down by generations of migrants and forged in the fire of early settlement, is subtle. It's clever without being pretentious, ironic but inclusive. My guest today is the man behind the Denny Dictionary, a wildly popular Instagram account responsible for instant classics like the bachelor's handbag for a Woolyi's roast chook, the Milton Mango four x gold and AirPod with legs for a real estate agent. He's also maybe our best line of defense against a growing number of americanisms making their way into our daily vocabulary. Fridge cigarette is a phrase I actually heard in the office recently, and I've brought in the creator of that phrase, Lindon, who's the creator of the Denny Dictionary and Instagram Sensation all words on this very visual platform. Lindon, what is a fridge cigarette?
Speaker 3: The fridge cigarette? It's say it's a candadkee coke or a coke zero. Really, I think these days, stepping outside for SIGGI might be a bit found upon, So you know, pulling something from the fridge seems a little a little more palatable.
Speaker 1: It's in your short list of words of the Year for this year on the Denny Dictionary, which is something you crew tell me about what it is and where it came from and what it means.
Speaker 3: We've got a great history of like Ozzie slang and phrases in Australia. I think it's just a page that's just trying to celebrate that. You know, I don't mind totally personally he's looking a little bit like but as I said Jo in the campaign, he's as mad as a cut snake.
Speaker 1: We've had generations of old people complaining about political correctness and how the English language is more and more under control and more and more sort of bland.
Speaker 3: It's a crying shame. It's cruel to be able to kind of tell people what you can and can't laugh at. That's that's crazy, that's insidious.
Speaker 1: And they're usually blaming the young people for doing this to us. But in this case, it's you, a young person who's trying to revive old things about the Australian language. How does that match with I suppose change that's always happening in language where we realize it's probably not that nice to say.
Speaker 2: Incredibly rude things about people anymore.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I've definitely taken some old phrases that we can't really be saying anymore and tried to give them a bit of a twenty twenty six update, you know, trying to make a phrase a little bit more accessible to everyone. But at the same time, like we all these days get so kind of bored by corporate jargon and just like the sanitization of like daily conversations. So that's just really what the page is trying to do, Just trying to make everyday conversations more interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my granddad used to describe people as being as ugly as it a hat full of bums, or you know, a face like a drop pie, all those old sayings that we know who in your life was the person who spoke like.
Speaker 2: This when you were young, who you feel nostalgic for a.
Speaker 3: Close family friend of ours. Could feel he was kind of like that uncle that's not really your uncle, and for some reason he'd always be at your family Christmas or whatever, but you don't really know why he's there. He grew up, yeah, a few hours west of Timber, and he had an entire brain full of these things.
Speaker 2: Can you remember some of them?
Speaker 3: It turned up to dinner, he so, I'm hungry. I could eat the crutch out of like flying duck, you know, some of these old like real Queensland sayings. And I think he was kind of the one that yeah and chase the rider.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the other lines are probably some of the great sporting commentators we've seen that.
Speaker 2: I think the moons are very shaky under attack. In fact, they look a little bit better when they haven't got the ball. Well looks shafe for the ball. It's one of those dancing schools there from HK the cough droppy a knocked over there.
Speaker 1: Look, could I just suggest.
Speaker 3: With Royin HG or Dennis Committee's you know, I'm really.
Speaker 2: Puts it out in front of hill. They say it's easy to run down hill till huns a bac Intosh and he goes and he kicks a gol.
Speaker 1: Dennis Committee, you know, much loved AFL commentator. And there was a funeral the other day where I did have to have a small laugh even though it was a sad moment when someone described him as the Shakespeare of Ossie Rules commentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was. Unreally I was watching some clips the other day and on the line, you know, he's knuck off on him like a librarian.
Speaker 2: They came up, but I didn't like a librarian.
Speaker 1: We've never heard him.
Speaker 2: They don't surprise one of ols in he's got the football. Tell me about your other contenders for word for you.
Speaker 3: So I think fuel prices and cost of living is top of mind. So the Shanghai lux, which is the ev ute or the one time rodeo is some other terms we've come up for it. But yeah, I think all the ev car lots are pretty busy at the moment. Everyone's kind of looking at and how can they get into a EV and on the other end of the EV to all the gas guzzlers. So I think we're seeing a lot of ram trucks and Ford Raptors getting around at the moment. So the Ford Raptor we call the CFM e ute or the rage Rover. It's that car that's, you know, riding right up your backside when you're going through the MACS drive through. You know, there's something about those cars just they're always driven by someone who's got a bit of a temper problem.
Speaker 1: I find, yeah, absolutely in the country, often a woman. I think women driving those cars when they're right up behind you is even more terrifying than the men.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right outside of shopping center as well. You know, with you you got three loads of groceries, the boot and three kids. You need to go to a footy training. You definitely don't want to get in the way.
Speaker 2: What are lentil stompers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the lentil stomper is the birkenstock clog, which you definitely see on the foot of someone who's probably signing you into your local yoga class or even just your local surphy who's got a little disposable income.
Speaker 1: I've got girlfriends who wear them a on the way to Pilarate's because the Pilates socks, which have a grip on the bottom, can fit in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The other one is look sitting in the quonscious lounge at the moment. You're probably going to see someone in a pair of mcg gum boots or Mossman gun boots, which is the Iron Williams boot, so I think that'll also be up there as well.
Speaker 1: I've also detected to move into kind of life advice though in and out lists, which feel like sort of young Jordan Peterson for me before he had a complete meltdown. What is in and out this year?
Speaker 3: Big in for cheese and baking cob loafs. All these fancy securdary boards can kind of we can forget them. Let's go back to the basics. The succulent Chinese meal is also really important, so it never goes away, never goes away. So yeah, Pronto's honey chicken and Mongolian lamb is a bigin for this year. I think also like who can afford a birthday present these days? So why don't you let the money gods decide, you know, what a present's worth. I love putting scratches in birthday cards or even a scratch in a wishing well for a wedding. Yeah, you know, a lot cheaper than giving them two hundred bucks is just give them a couple of five dollars scratches and let someone else decide how much the present should be worth.
Speaker 2: I think wishing well at weddings should be on your out list.
Speaker 3: Is it If the flights to get to the wedding cost more than my cuff links, I'm not coming, is my general view. I also think everyone should just be having weddings back at their local bowlow or the golf club. Just make it cheaper for everyone.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read to you one of your entries from the out list. Developers ripping mcguarts out of great old pubs and turning the joint into a bay daycare center with fifty eight dollars shar quterie boards and a doggie tree menu.
Speaker 2: That is a crime.
Speaker 3: Every pub, particularly in the city, now feels like you're walking into the same thing. They all feel like a Swedish nursing home. So I firmly. And I spend a lot of time outside of the city and there's nothing that tickles me and fills me with joy than walking into an old fashioned pub that acts like a pub, looks like a pub, smells like a pub, and has a menu that reads like a pub as well.
Speaker 1: What about Pokey's, So you don't have the charcuterie board, You've got to have some pokey.
Speaker 3: I know, if you don't have a shock it. Yes, this is a trade off, you know. I think you can have them without. But look, there's a lot of people who like playing the bricks laptop, But I think we have to think about those pensioners playing those pianos, and yeah, what's it really funding another one?
Speaker 1: I like is feels like to me like an attack on your own generation here, and I feel like this could get you into some trouble blokes with wimpy little mustaches who can start a podcast but can't drive. Manual manual drivers are on the way out those you can barely get a manual car.
Speaker 3: I'm firmly in the belief that every single person should be able to drive a manual car. If able, it's able or not, no excuse, there's no excuse. My hot take is that if you can't drive a manual car, you're actually being quite selfish. Because if you get stuck on a road trip somewhere and for whatever reason, you need to take over and you say, I actually sorry, I can't drive manual, I think, well, what you say you on the road trip?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or you might you dream, you know, my dream might come true of getting to drive a big rig or a fork lift or something, and they're pretty sure they're not automatic. No.
Speaker 3: I think driving manuals it should be really on a national test list.
Speaker 2: Really, what about high rocks? What is high rocks?
Speaker 3: High roxyes is new fitness trend. It's a boot camp obstacle course. I call it the midlife crisis Olympics. For some reason, all the blokes need to do it without a shirt on as well.
Speaker 2: At least they've stopped going to yoga, those blokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. I think the yoga classes and the plot is classes must be really breathing a sigh of a leaf now that all the high rocks brows are over on the next door pushing our Christmas sleds, so on the battle ropes, on the battle ropes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean shirts are designed to soak up the sweat. Isn't that what they're for? Mainly?
Speaker 3: You would think so high Rox it's just cardio for content, really y big on my outlist for twenty two reband all together, I think so. But then I also think we need to put some kind of ticketing system on the yoga studio so that the yoga lovers can have their down with dogs in peace.
Speaker 1: I like your take on garments as well. There's a certain type of puffy jacket that I think you've called a wanker's waistcoat.
Speaker 2: Who wears that? And what is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a phenomenal Australia where every middle manager who works in corporate seems to feel like they need to look like a jackaroo that's dressed up for a funeral to go to work. So the puffer vests the north face puffer. It's the wanker's waistcoat. Cleeveless, sleeveless, Yeah, sleeveless north face puffa. It's usually worn by some guy who's also got a pair of iron wounds on for his desk job because he's probably got to hurd to me e mails.
Speaker 2: And what's a double dinner jacket.
Speaker 3: The dubble dinner jacket is the antithesis of the wanker's waistcoat. Double dinner Jacket's the flannel. I think a flannel is big in for twenty twenty six. It's the working jacket for the common man.
Speaker 2: Has to come from lows us to come from come.
Speaker 3: From fresh out of the packet. You can see a lot of trendy stores are trying to kind of, you know, gentrify the flannel. Let's leave it to the masks, leave it all loose.
Speaker 2: It can't be from Valencia.
Speaker 3: It can't be from there.
Speaker 1: Coming up more of my conversation with lindon what's your take on the young men of your generation who really have interestingly embraced Instagram is kind of a huge platform for them.
Speaker 3: I think the algorithm, or just social media in general, it's a pacifier for many, particularly blokes. They're so much more comfortable stearing into their phone than they are sitting around a group of mates. Phone free. One of my beginns for twenty twenty six is phone free beers. People are so much more comfortable sending a joke to each other online rather than sitting there with their mates and actually just copying it a bit, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's like sending a meme is the new kind of coming up with a joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. If we all just sit in my phones or day and send each other memes, we've lost that ability to sit around with a group of table of friends and actually take potshots at each other, which is one of the great national pastimes as well, I feel and being comfortable with that creativity and language that we're kind of sharing around the table as well. Yeah, taking the pieces of the entrede to any kind of hard conversation. I think Aussie blokes definitely feel more comfortable when they start a conversation with a joke or something to lighten the mood before they get in anywhere. You know, Ozzie Bloke's never good at sitting down from the start and be like, hey, we have to have a tough conversation. But that just shouldn't be a meme.
Speaker 1: You've created a hugely successful I guess what we would call it is side hustle. I hope it's not one of your band phrases. But you don't really appear in personal in this Instagram page but you could. You could turn yourself into an influence and maybe see business that's what everybody else is doing. You might have to do some squats in the gym with.
Speaker 2: Your phone on, though why not? Why don't you want to do that?
Speaker 3: When I started the project, I never set out to make a million dollars, So I'm kind of winning from day one because you know, I'm not setting that goal for me. The watermark of when the page is successful is when you just hear the words or see the words out and about. I've started on a plane before a delayed jet stufflight, and someone behind me i'd never met just I overheard him saying it was the He called the plane the orange gamble. I remember, had a real moment just like God, that's so good that some random bloke in Townsville has just picked up that phrase from me, posting it whoever, many thousands of kilometers away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's lovely.
Speaker 1: That's an artistic kind of mindset that you've got, rather than a proprietary mindset, which is where social media kind of takes us. It's like you created an idea, you want it to be out there in the world. You want people to be into it. Like artists do, rather than wanting to sort of send him in.
Speaker 3: Invoice, Tyler, I get so much more joy out of someone coming out to me and saying, hey, I absolutely love that that phrase he came up with for that, or I get the best wafts out of your page every morning. That means so much more than you know, you know, selling some teeth white now, which I'll let other influences do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Lindin.
Speaker 3: Thanks Hey.
Speaker 1: You can find the Denny Dictionary on Instagram. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and produced by Jasper League, whose article on the Denny Dictionary is online at the Australian dot com dot a U thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Kristin amiot Lea, Sam mcglue, Tiffany Dimack and Joshua Burton.
Speaker 3: H