Speaker 1: The Sky Center. This is Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 2: You are so lucky if you were watching Sharry for the past hour, because the debate on Channel Line sucked. It really sucked. The format was garbage. Most of the questions were garbage. Okay, a little swing here, a little swing there, to give us a little bit of source to throw on the meat here tonight. But honestly, you didn't miss much. You truly didn't miss much. That said, there are five things worth pointing out. We will talk about them and debate them, but I'm not going to pretend this was the most riveting debate you've ever seen. It is almost as forgotten as you forgot that it was even on, and I'm glad.
Speaker 1: That you did.
Speaker 2: Thanks for watching us here on PULLMRIW Life here on scot Us tonight. We'll do analysis with Chris Kenny Joe Hildebrand in a second, and then we'll have plenty of fun for the rest of the show, as well as introduce you to somebody who I think is going to make quite an impact in the Senate should they get elected.
Speaker 1: But yep, let's get to it.
Speaker 2: The five things you need to know about this debate. Number one Dunton yet again nailed the Prime Minister on this medi caare medi scare lie. They keep saying it. They lied directly to the Australians each and every day. The media never take them up on it because they don't dest they don't want to be left off the Christmas card list of the bloke did they think or want to win? So I liked when Peter Dutton did this on National TV.
Speaker 1: When we were in government and I was the Health Minister.
Speaker 3: Hospital funding went up by sixteen percent and the Prime Minister stands here with a straight face and says what he knows not to be true. And I think again it'd be great to see him called out because he continues to repeat these mistruths and Australians deserve.
Speaker 1: Better from it. Well in their Prime Minister now.
Speaker 4: You described it as a cut if you were twenty fourteen budget described it as a cut as a saving if you'll.
Speaker 1: Been honest, A bit that fifty and.
Speaker 4: Health each and thirty B and and education every year the population is increasing. You had the allocation that had been previously put in the budget prior to you coming to World Office. You ripped eighty billion dollars out of those two items in two thousand and.
Speaker 3: Four, Minister, you couldn't slice straight in bed. Honestly, this is unbelievable.
Speaker 4: It can go to abuse.
Speaker 5: Well, it's just the abuse.
Speaker 4: That's a sign of desperation, Tea Frankly, as he's lying, that's a sign of desperation.
Speaker 2: Again, just a small thing, right like, Look, I'm a lucky bugger to do this job, but I've been doing it for long enough. If you do things that don't address the camera, it means you are not talking to the people at home. Again, the way it was all set up is that you have the moderator who wasn't between the two candidates, but was between the two elements of the debate, which is all of the people who work for the different things the channel ie owns and the two candidates. The candidates were then always either looking at each other or looking at the host, or looking at which meant see, they're never actually looking at you. I found that irritating for the hour. Remember it is about you, but this was one of those little media examples where it was about them.
Speaker 1: But I like that moment.
Speaker 2: Phil Coury, though I'm not going to throw him as out with the Bathwater. Here he was best on ground the blog from the Financial Review. I think he's one of the best in the Camber Press Gallery. So every time I bag the Camber Press Gallery, imagine there's an asterisk next to it. And Philip Kurry is the exception to that rule. Here's what he said when it came to cost of living.
Speaker 1: Good question.
Speaker 2: Remember number one issue should have been the whole debate rather than well, just this bit.
Speaker 6: Mister Albert, As you said three years ago that people would be better off under labor at the end of the first term.
Speaker 1: I would suspect that's most people don't think.
Speaker 6: Tard me thinks that that's the case at the moment. So why should voters trust you to give you trust you for another three years.
Speaker 4: Well, Phil, we understand that many people are doing it tough, which is why we've provided significant cost of living relief, but we've had to do it in a way that put that downward pressure on inflation as a result, inflation as a two in front of it.
Speaker 6: Are you prepared to repeat that pledge that in another three years time.
Speaker 4: Oh, we certainly want people to be better off in three years time, and that is what it's to be the.
Speaker 2: Problem was three years ago you promised they would be that promise clearly broken. Elections are looking back at the job of the past three years and deciding do you rehire the same people to do the same job. Do you reward just a different version of the same lie again, Philip coury again with a question where he takes up to date. Well done, team, where it takes up to date the question around the budget.
Speaker 1: Now again, Phill's the.
Speaker 2: Type of person who, like you, me, Joe and Chris, we count the grains of sand on the beach. It seemed that this debate was pitched to the people who needed to be reminded there was a beach, Which is why the Prime Minister can turn around and sort of pretend what the history was, pretend that he's fighting the twenty and twelve election, or the two thousand and seven election, or the twenty and fifty two election, because his assumption is that most people don't follow the detail. Well, thankfully Phil does, which meant he was able to poke this one straight in the middle of the Prime Minister's garbage.
Speaker 1: PM.
Speaker 6: Look, you mentioned your two surpluses tonight and if we can just take issue the seventy eight billion you inheritor was actually deficit was actually a forecast. The actual number was thirty one billion.
Speaker 4: When what was forecast by the former gouvern.
Speaker 6: Sure, but the actual number was thirty one and next to your forecasting a forty two billion dollar surplus, which is bigger in both dollar terms and as a share of the economy. So you could argue the budget's actually worse it in terms of deficit.
Speaker 2: Ooh, facts, facts, it actually matters, It should matter. I think it's going to matter to more people, and that's going to be some part of a surprise in some seats in some places because again.
Speaker 1: The media think it's all about Trump.
Speaker 2: Hook hook, it's all about you know, lies that are ten years old from the Labor Party, or lies that have been how many elections in a row when it comes to medicare, despite the fact that the Liberal Party always spends more each and every year and in this election is promising to spend even more.
Speaker 1: Than the Labor Party feeding which.
Speaker 2: Brings me to what I think was one of the stage directions for the way this debate was put together. Now, obviously media organizations, they have their way of doing things or what they think the audience wants.
Speaker 1: I think that was part of the.
Speaker 2: Construction of this debate, which was about trying to finish off Peter Dutton. If they were able to do so, then what they would like to get to, which is the coronation of the great lefty king, the twenty first century Hawk, the twenty second century Whitlam. Because have a look at the questions, and again when the questions were a bit of a surprise, that always got to Dutton first, giving Albo a chance to think of the smart answer for the comparing contrast, just a little thing, but we notice this stuff.
Speaker 6: You've had your fair share of stumbles and one memorable policy backflip on the work from home.
Speaker 1: But probably one of.
Speaker 6: The bigger factors, overriding factors, has been a tendency of voters to associate you in a negative fashion with Donald Trump. What do you say to those voters out there, I think you're alive version of the unpopular US president.
Speaker 5: Mister Dutton.
Speaker 7: Given Phil's point there that people aren't feeling better, why aren't you miles ahead in this election? And more to the point, why are you seemingly quite a long way behind when it comes to women of a working age.
Speaker 8: Mister Dutton, is it still the best use of taxpayer dollars to be harving the fel exides? Do you still think that you would be the only leader on earth to get a better deal for Australia on Tarrett's but not.
Speaker 1: The talking points?
Speaker 5: Not we've heard that time.
Speaker 8: What do you stand mister Dutton. We don't see a lot of your softer side. Do you think that your time as a police officer led you to have a black and white view of the world?
Speaker 2: Now, perfect example that last question there, right, what do you do? There's the natural personality that says I beg your pardon. Of course, the real answer is, look, yes, a serious person who works hard on serious things, things like the border, things like police, things like building my own business. And yes, I'm not going to be a flashy prime minister who's going to be firing the money cannon the way that this bloke does. But I promise you this will turn up each and every day blah.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah blah bah blah.
Speaker 2: But of course in his head. And this is the way the media works, right, The psychological warfare of just a.
Speaker 1: Bash bash bash bash bash bash bash.
Speaker 2: The multi front attack on your personality is well, if I'm too aggressive, they're going to interpret that. So it's all designed to become a fumble. And then if it becomes a fumble, then see he's not up to the seat.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying about.
Speaker 2: Just all of the little again right game, recognize this game. Okay, I put a bit of thinking into what I say on the telly. I'm assuming they put a bit of thinking into what they said on the telly. I'm assuming the very same television network that remember was running Mission Accomplished months months before inflation was anywhere between two and three percent, are the same people making the decision. They like the current administration for whatever reason. And this multi host thing sucks.
Speaker 1: It really sucks.
Speaker 2: Because in the people's forum we have a moderator who can follow up. But the point of the debate is members of public asker question. The X factor is they don't ask a question like a reporter, and because they're not a reporter, they have to answer it nice good format, right, ABC format that they decided to go with single host meant you could follow up and we got the moments like we did about our bow failing to be able to say when power prices were going down. But if everyone gets a turn in your two and you never get a momentum up to start to say, this is the meaty part.
Speaker 1: And remember what.
Speaker 2: Did Mike Tyson say, Everyone's got a plan in a fight until we get punched in the face. So okay, everyone had their moment. It's TV fairness. If someone's got the better question, then let's do that for the next five minutes. But sadly, again, it just wasn't that way. And I like Alie, okay, so this is not me whacking into her. It's the way the thing was constructed.
Speaker 1: All right. Again, I like.
Speaker 2: Phil, but it's the way this thing was constructed.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the multipanel thing garbage because it also means that when everyone gets a turn, you don't get to things that matter to people, right, you don't talk about immigration in a proper sense. Prime and is still still rubbing this garbage in that the reason the net migration was higher was because Australians were coming home. They're already Australians. They don't count in that overall number. But he's just allowed to say it and nobody doubles up on it. Because this is the debate for the people who just remember the beaches. They're not the people who count come on. This is the very rare opportunity, once every three years to actually hold them to a little bit of detail. That said, it did like one thing about the debate, and it's a mark of most of the TV debates, and it'll be the same one for Channel seven, which is coming up on Sunday. And don't you lugh have every other TV station doesn't mention the other TV station the debates are on. You see, I'm adult enough to realize that while this is the best and you're watching this right now and we're number one in your head, in your heart old school TV, there's one hundred options, and then there's this, and then there's this, and then there's this, and then there's this.
Speaker 5: I know them all right.
Speaker 2: So when it's on Channel two, I'll say it's on Channel two. When it's on Channel seven, I say it's on Channel seve. I'm gonna say commercial TV. What was the wankers from the ABC A paywall subscription TV?
Speaker 1: Please pull the other one who plays jingle bells? But I did like that.
Speaker 2: They've always sort of go for that, So what do you want to say that's nice about each other? And what I like about this is because they squirm, right, because they overly hate each other, and why wouldn't they. It's the Grand Final, it's the start of the third quarter. I'm pretty sure both of the players who might get on the cans when they go to Bali after the game. I'm not going to have much to say before the game is over, but it's fun watching them squirm.
Speaker 8: Prime Minister, you've called mister Dutton means spirited and cold hearted?
Speaker 9: What are three things you admire about him?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 1: I only ever prepare for one problem. Let me say this. He bat's way above his average with.
Speaker 4: Kirily. He has a terrific family. I've had the privilege and he clearly cares about them, and that's a terrific thing. Longevity in politics, he's we've been in Parliament for basically the same amount of time, almost both been there for more than twenty years. That's an achievement. And Peter in that time as well, has had a tough seat that he's contested consistently over a long period of time.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 8: It was a glowing endorsement, wasn't I rested Upton. Now you've called mister Alben Easy the weakest prime minister we've had since federation. Can you say something nice and to make it fair?
Speaker 7: Three things?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll start with family as well, and I admire the Prime Minister's fathership. Nathan's a great young bloke. And similarly with Jody. I've come to know Jody and meet her at different events and have a great deal of respect for them both, and I wish them well.
Speaker 1: As well.
Speaker 3: And truly the case, I again acknowledged the Prime Minister's support of AUCAS from opposition, and it wasn't an easy outcome. As he pointed out, he was satisfied that nuclear energy was safe, but he'd got that through caucus, which was a difficult thing. And Aucas when we negotiated it, it was about underpinning our security for the next century. And that's three.
Speaker 1: Isn't it all right?
Speaker 2: Joining me now, Chris Kenny, Joe Hildebrand, Chris, what are three things you could say that's nice about I.
Speaker 1: Do love it right, and I liked it about it. We only prepare for one right, but it is that thing. It is. It's I get why they asked the question, but the.
Speaker 2: Idea that these have got to be dancing monkeys as well as people.
Speaker 10: You're going to premiership, you've got to be quick on your feet. He should have said what I like about Albo. He supports Ozzie Rules because I've seen him in a Hawthorne scarf. Secondly, I like that he supports Ozzie Rules because I seen him in a Collingwood scarf. I likely supports the AFL because I've seen him in a swanscar.
Speaker 5: Yes, well done, a lady and coming out all right.
Speaker 2: Now we'll get to the boring of it in a second, but let's put that to one side because obviously I don't want to have a conversation about how boring something he is, because that is a boring conversation in and of itself. But of what you saw, Apparently that panel, by the way, host not including down Allison Langdon two to one said Dotton won the debate. Try and work out who the breakdown was. Peter, Sorry, Chris, your thoughts off, Peter dun't and Anthony Evenuez.
Speaker 10: Look, you know I agree with you that it was a bit too boring. There's no doubt that Peter Dutton tried to go the biff. He tried to attack Anthony Alban easy. I think he's got to go harder. Sure, we know you're appealing to swinging voters and they might not like the aggressive politics and the like, but you've kind of got one shot in the locker year. He's running out of time and Albo is telling lies. Albo is running a false campaign about six hundred billion dollar nuclear plants and fanciful work cuts to medicare. In the light, you've got to call him out, but you've got to do it hard enough so that you put Albow on the back foot. And he didn't really embarrass embarrass our Bow tonight. It was too comfortable for him, partly because of the sum of the things you said about the questioning and breaking up the flow.
Speaker 1: I thought that the.
Speaker 10: Biggest harm that Albow suffered tonight was at his own hand, and it was from that question from Phil Corey.
Speaker 1: And this is a bloke who said, I'm going to lower your cost of living.
Speaker 10: I'm going to lower your mortgages, I'm going to lower interest rates, I'm going to lower your electricity prices. And the best he could say this time, he says, well, I want everyone to be better off in three years time. Bang, that shows how you've blown your promises and you haven't got the balls to promise it again because you know no one will believe you.
Speaker 1: Funnily enough, here it is.
Speaker 6: Are you prepared to repeat that pledge that in another three years time?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: We certainly want people to be better off in three years time, and that is what it's about.
Speaker 1: That's his promise, right, We all want to be better off, mate. It's supposed to be your job to do something about it, all right, Joe.
Speaker 2: Greatest performance of the greatest prime minister of all time, no doubt the signal messages between yourself, Antony Otherne and Pete Higss whatsoever.
Speaker 5: We just communicate telepathically.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 11: I thought it was actually done strongest debate performance to date. But again, unfortunately and Dudden has been very star crossed in this election campaign. He's had a lot of bad luck. There's been a lot of own goals and you know, grenades dropped his.
Speaker 5: Feet as well. But he has had bad luck.
Speaker 11: And I think this was the most boring debate of the three we've had so far. But it was also the one that Dunton actually did the best, that I actually thought him taking the PM on bulk billing rates was stronger than arguing over whether they did or didn't cut the budget.
Speaker 2: And the best thing about a boring debate is people turn off, right, So and that was that was that was frontlinered.
Speaker 1: That was first five.
Speaker 11: I mean right, yeah, I found it really I was obviously, you know, doing the cryptic crossword on the side. So I thought it was sort of about a draw, probably because I think the PM is just so sort of match fit at this sort of stuff, and he does it by just kind of just throwing a kind of fire blanket on everything he gets asked, and he's sort of and the way he answers, for example, Phil Corey and I share you. I'm with you on Phil Corey. I think he's one of the best journals around. But the way he basically of course because he's the one who voted for albow, the one who says that he won but the other two said it was done, but also the one that was toughest on him as well, which I think speaks to his his his integrity and intelligence. But again, so you know, he says, you know, will you say this thing that you said last time? And Albow. I called it tactical obfuscation, pretends that.
Speaker 5: Tactically he there to answer the question.
Speaker 11: You answer as though what you said last time was that you wanted people to be better off, and there is no thing. But I think just the fact that prepoles are already open, the fact that the campaign, I think the campaign is kind of a bit run and done.
Speaker 1: Well so to this point.
Speaker 2: Right, So tonight we learn from the Australian Electoral Commission more than half a million people have voted on day one. Now I think we're going to see massive numbers because we're in this sort of gray week right now where collection of people may well just have these three days off because of public holidays on either side. Also, I think that for let's be honest, those that have already made up their minds, so let's say that's sixty seventy percent, they just want to get it banked and done right. I say, and I've said this to the viewers of this program, go and vote tomorrow, right, Go and vote tomorrow. I'll go through all the reasons why I think what that vote should be, but I just say, go and bank it right, because it's not like a postal.
Speaker 1: Vote where oh maybe three days later.
Speaker 2: No, No, if you vote tomorrow, it's counted on the night, all right, We're going to see it as part of the result. And it just means the focus of the conversation becomes the truly undecided. It's rather than people who just want the ritual. Here's the thing. It's not illegal on election day to go to multiple schools and get their democracy sausages, all right, just to check what the post is alike. You don't have to go and actually vote. But what does it say that half a minion have done it on day one?
Speaker 10: I don't like this and I'd like to officially announced tonight. From now on, after today's events, everybody on air at Sky News is going to be voting pre poll at Kuyong and trying to get a chat with Moni, right and in the absent TV.
Speaker 1: What this is?
Speaker 8: This is?
Speaker 2: I was thinking about that, apart from a disgraceful way to treat a great person.
Speaker 1: In Laura Joys, who we all know another around here, right, But but what about I mean, it's a.
Speaker 2: Little instinct right into this rather imperious manner that many of the tales have, right, which is, look, I'm involved in the democratic process.
Speaker 1: There wasn't a single vote the queue. Literally that was that lovely accidental moment. No one is there. No, you misinterpreted.
Speaker 10: Not only was she standing there imperiously, she was thinking about how her husband's had orders under home not to steal any more posters. Her contribution to the Democrat anyway, back to your point, though, the reason people vote early. Sure, you've made up your mind, so you want to get it out of the way, and look, it's handy, especially.
Speaker 1: If you're elderly or sick.
Speaker 10: Do you want to go when there's not big crowds and whatever. But I love the big day and I think about what could unfold that could change people's minds. And I suppose, as you say, if you're undecided, you wait till then.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying the hard cause, right, the ones who knew four years ago what they were going to do at this election, then go and bank it again.
Speaker 1: I like the ritual.
Speaker 2: And the problem that I have with everyone not voting at the same time is we have so few things that are genuine collective experiences anymore. The idea of everyone on a single day in the same way that the census isn't over a two week period. It's okay, on this day to night, what's going on. It's on this day what So I agree, but I'm just saying that it is a process that no one seemingly wants to unwind. But also it speaks to what I've been talking about for certainly during this campaign you have two of course boys, which is you needed to front load your message, the idea that you could crest in the air. He is so old school, right, which is why ALBERTIZI decided to promise the billions of dollars from January. Right from January he's been banging on with the forty something almost fifty billion dollars, right. It's why the Libs when they started to wabble a bit after that first parliamentary week and it was all about lunches, they should have had the attack ads straight out and hitting hard. And I think that the hardest hit on Albo should have been. And I think one of the great creative devices around modern elections was in two thousand and seven when the leaders were responding to the other leaders' ads, right, literally turn around and say Elbow's lying about ding ding ding ding ding. Stop the lies, because then it shows what a red line and you're not willing to do, and then it sets and expectations in the questions the media have to answer instead a little too slow and the assumption was we're waiting, and then the elections off for two weeks and all of that has helped give the Prime Minister this soft campaign for a while, which is why I think there's that certain feeling to get in there. One more on the debate though, can we show that again? That question from Deborahnight from nine Radio to gb Prince where she's the Money news host, where she asked the question of Peter Dutton that I think is designed frankly to trip him up and also to editorialize to say I don't like him.
Speaker 1: That's it. She said that he won the debate.
Speaker 8: Mister Dutton, we don't see a lot of your softer side. Do you think that your time as a police officer led you to have a black and white view of the world?
Speaker 2: Now the rapid response teams Labor Party sees Richard Miles doing his bit to be Deputy Prime Minister. Because of course those free flights, well they don't pay for themselves.
Speaker 1: Well, that's right, they.
Speaker 12: Do well tonight, I think we saw the most significant contrast between the two leaders. We had a Prime Minister who was calm and considered in the way he responded, and we had an opposition leader who was agro and increasingly looks desperate.
Speaker 2: But anyway, but that question from Deborah Knight, and again, look, I'm going to get in trouble because of the dynamics between companies all the rest of it. I think the question is framed in a relatively nasty sense because I mean, okay, yes he was a police officer, but does that mean he's nasty thirty years later, and what is the assumption that all police officers are nasty?
Speaker 11: Yeah, look, I love deb I did think it was a pretty odd question. I mean, both major parties bend over backwards. They will, you know, walk over their dead grandmothers to get a hold of X cops or ex military figures to run as candidates because they are generally considered to be incredibly trusted and respected in the community. And that's why you have figures like you know, Mike Keurley and Andrew Hasty in the Parliament, and that's why the white Peter Dutton's there as well. In No small parts. So I thought it was a little bit odd. I think it does. I suppose speak though to a problem that Dutton does have, which is and again I feel for him, because he's you know, he's got this sort of narrow band with in.
Speaker 1: Which is a problem. Is it a box they try to put him.
Speaker 11: Well, here's a box they try to put him in, and it's a box that he seems to be struggling to break out of. And so and I think you're right with the mind games he goes, I can't come out and one route to her. It's a female, right, It's.
Speaker 5: Just but it is just the way it's happened.
Speaker 11: And you're absolutely right that all these policies, I mean talk about not doing the work. These policies needed to have been stress tested. They needed to be more meat on the bone. The more controversial ones should have either a been air rated earlier so they could have been finailed and finessed so they weren't scary anymore, or so that people were just sick of them. They'd gotten used to the idea that working from home as a classic exam I mean, that was just so toxic. And this was coming up in labor research was clearly coming up with the coalition's research. Why were they only discovering this in the middle of an election campaign? And a campaign again with the preposs I've been told from Labour sorts that maybe even more than half of voters might vote in prepoles, A majority of voters voting before polling day has even happened. That changes the entire dynamic of an election completely. That means that you have to be tapering so that you are peaking right now, and instead he is the coalition is so far behind right now. Even if they have a blinder of the last week and turn around and take the lead, they have to effectively take that not the lead then in that week, but they have to take back all the votes they have lost. So you know, if they go from fifty two to forty eight behind now to fifty two to forty eight ahead now in the last week, they actually have to be fifty four forty six ahead in order to get yeah, to make up for all the votes that have already gone Again.
Speaker 2: True, but sorry, Chris, I know you're about to make another sorry. But but again, I think all of us collectively. I'm talking about himself as well.
Speaker 1: Careful with the.
Speaker 2: Two party preferred stuff, because that preference we just don't know, right, because I mean we we make assumptions. Look, you can make an assumptions about how loyal a green where a green preference is going to go a til preference, okay, but generally to the left right. One nation is two points higher than they got at the last election. Yet banging on about this because it matters, right, five points of the last election seven nationally and we know in certain areas seven is going to be ten and twelve in other places.
Speaker 1: Will that be enough? Who knows.
Speaker 2: We'll all find out together. We'll all be on here together. But no doubt the being first on with the post analysis.
Speaker 1: I like the ankle, all right, Chris fin agree with you.
Speaker 10: You don't want to be talking about this is if it's all over for the coalition. Now it's very close to the polling here and as that sort of election where it'll be changes in different sorts of seats like the poles are probably being held up by South Australia and West Australia where there's popular state labor governments and the likes.
Speaker 1: So we'll wait and see.
Speaker 10: But on this campaigning, it's not just about the Liberals running the campaign. You're having the front end load a lot of the stuff. Everything's changed, und I mean the whole idea and now with modern digital media and transport and social media and all the rest of it, that we have a five week campaign, will they each get a plane to fly around the country and we're doing that's outdated and the politicians need to understand that you've got to win the debate's long term and.
Speaker 1: Carry people with you.
Speaker 10: But I don't want to go back to the point you started on some of those questions now dead Night. I've worked with her too, a lot of respect for her, but those questions kind of betray the audience.
Speaker 1: She's nine radio right the trade a track.
Speaker 10: He's driving around the Western Sydney au and they're listening to her dissing a.
Speaker 1: Twenty five per cent cut in the a leader cut in petrol tax.
Speaker 10: Now these people are celebrating that they need it, and also the idea that a copper is a problem because he's too black and white. No coppers are revered by mainstream Australians. We need more coppers and we need more coppers to go into politics again.
Speaker 2: Slive missed opportunity potentially from Dunton in the moment. But again, what belies the mistake in the question.
Speaker 1: In Victoria, people like the cops at the moment, right.
Speaker 2: Crime's quite an issue, right, so much so that I keep talking about this.
Speaker 1: Eventually I got to go and find the grab for you.
Speaker 2: Sevent thirty point they went door knocking with the candidates in Chisholm, and there was a lady who I'd make a pretty good bet was able to speak multiple languages. She said through her wire door crime. I don't care if it's a status, your federal issue it see anything I care about, And then started to list all of the things that have happened. Okay, does that mean that there's going to be some giant surprise? Every pole is wrong, every book is out, and everyone's going to make a million bucks going the other way? Probably not, but there is going to be some surprises. So when you start to say, oh, copper is hard edged, copper is bad, laning on copper is the solution to a problem in other parts of it?
Speaker 1: What about asking Albow if he's ever had a real job. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Correct, as they do that, do you think when you worked as a bank teller for one year in nineteen ninety three that that made you a dot dot dot And.
Speaker 1: Where was the question to have.
Speaker 10: These policies you're talking about, Olbow, that are going to lower our electricity prices and give us a secure electricity supplies. Aren't they the ones that you've been implementing for the last three years that have done the opposite.
Speaker 1: He just gets away with a fair bit, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ondred percent All right, lads, I do appreciate it. It made it all continue. We'll see you all again in some version over the next couple of days five o'clock. That's when Primetime kicks in. You can see it with Chris Kenny each and every night, and Joe's on a show sometime too.
Speaker 5: A week some time of it. There might be time of day when I'm not on a show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, lads, all right, more in a moment here on Poor Verry Live. Thanks for watching. Thank you so much for watching. Apparently my girls are still watching it.
Speaker 2: I know at school holidays become ndolence Off to bed soon, all right. Joe Hildebrand is in fact carry over champ I apology.
Speaker 11: I told you I am never not on company and I just had to stick around.
Speaker 5: To prove it.
Speaker 1: James Ashby, of course, with one nation, he joins us.
Speaker 2: Now, where are you in the country, mate? Nice and at Hime, no Christmas tree.
Speaker 5: I'm in your poon.
Speaker 13: This is the this is the first night in a long time I've slept in my bed during this campaign. So it's nice to be Hime and I miss Linda Weresley.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: All right, Well you've got a bit of a family situation, so strength and love to her and her family at the moment. All right, So we'll get into this, okay, So I mentioned this before half a million people voted today. My view is, if you are firm in your views, go and vote as early as possible, because it all gets counted on the day. That said, in my view, that's been anythings to think about as you head off to make that vote. Be it tomorrow, be it next week, be it on election day. And it's not just a choice about whether it's Anthony Abernezi for another three years, whether it's Peter Dunton fo the next three years. It's about the fundamental things that have happened in the three years. These are the receipts of the poor performance of the government that we have had. Remember their promise that the last election was that under a labor government they would lower the cost of living.
Speaker 1: Reality, supermarkets shunk straight through the roof.
Speaker 2: Oh but they're price gouging, they're taking the pibles right. Come on, of course, Jim charmers. Now he said on two budget surpluses, which meant he was able to say, here, I am the great economic manager. But this is all built on taking more tax from more workers than ever before. And even then he took fifteen hundred bucks off ten million workers. Petrol and booze. That increased taxes on those to now the highest ever sixty three percent of a bottle of Bundy rum. That is tax, fifty cents of every leader of petrol. That is tax.
Speaker 1: When it comes to power bills, you remember the promise they made last time.
Speaker 4: Reducing power prices by two hundred and seventy five dollars one hundred and seventy five dollars a year. There'll be reduction for household of two hundred and seven five dollars.
Speaker 2: But now, because he knows that was a lie last time, he's not even pretending to lie this time.
Speaker 5: When will we see our power bills come down.
Speaker 4: They are Well, what we know is that renewables are the cheapest form of power, not because of what we say, but because of what the Australian Energy Market Operator says. When do the bills come down and what the market is delivering.
Speaker 5: Just stick with your plan, mister Albinezy. When will the bills come.
Speaker 4: Down under our plan? We know that renewables are the cheapest form of power. Gas is now thirteen dollars worth thirty.
Speaker 1: Dollars and when we came cheaper, when.
Speaker 4: We came off, thirteen is cheaper than thirty.
Speaker 2: If you vote tomorrow, if you've vote next week, if you've vote on May third, I hope you think about this about the number of Australians who right now one point six million homes are in mortgage stress, meaning they can't afford the twelve interest rate rises when one went up before the last election. Cost of living crisis reason to change the government? Twelve minus one eleven is apparently a reason to re elect Two out of three people can't afford their rent, three million people on the verge of homelessness, three point seven million households will run out of food, but the government spends more money advertising itself with your taxpayer dollars than it does in the taxpayer dollars going to organizations like food Bank, thirty thousand businesses they've gone bus These are the people who, of course.
Speaker 1: Went out and tried to make their own life.
Speaker 2: Not part of the triangle of dependency, where you either work for the government, you get something for the government, or the government's your biggest client. Budget deficits aren't for the next four years, they're not for the next ten. They're for the next forty according to the Intergenerational Report, and we cross one trillion dollars in debt this year, one point two before the next election. Whenever you want to talk about things like schools where one in three a third of all school kids primary and high school don't make the basic standards, that's a culture war.
Speaker 1: When you care.
Speaker 2: About Australia day and what it means now and into the future, that's a culture war. When you decided to say no to the voice, you were a dinosaur or a dickhead. The Prime Minister has light how many times we kindly say each way out, But think of that as code for a bloke who doesn't tell the truth.
Speaker 1: Think about the bloke who's the fake.
Speaker 2: Working class man who really loves flying on the private plane that he names after his dog. And in Albonomics they give himselves a gold star and you go broke.
Speaker 1: Half a million.
Speaker 2: People have made their choice thus far when you make yours, think about all of that, James, what do I leave.
Speaker 1: Off the list? Well?
Speaker 13: I was on piling booth this afternoon in Rockampton and I was surprised at the volume of people that were still steadily coming through at that time. But there was a twenty minute weight as those piling doors opened at eight point thirty.
Speaker 5: That was on the Rocky booth.
Speaker 13: There was a weight of twenty to forty minutes in some of the Brisbane suburbs.
Speaker 5: There was a twenty.
Speaker 13: Minute weight down here in Upern this morning as well when doors opened, partly because the power went out. Well done, But look, these are some of the five hundred thousand people. They're just a portion of the eighteen and a half million voters that are eligible to vote this year, of which probably eighteen million will vote. We've got a really broken up election because all the public holidays we've at East at Anzac Day, I've got the school holidays, as you pointed out with your own girls, and then we've mixed up so many days where now we can early pole on Saturday this coming week to try and make up for those lost days, and then we end up with that. I was going to say another word, but that show earlier, it's the third debate that I found very boring.
Speaker 5: I thought, like you, I didn't like the format.
Speaker 13: I like it in front of an audience, so you can actually judge the reaction of an audience. But I've two previous debates that have been held. I haven't seen anyone inspired by either side, Labor or the Coalition. And I think for a lot of people on those piling booths today, yeah, they might be the ones that know who they're voting for. A lot of them didn't take how to vote cards, and then some wanted to send a very clear message by taking only one. So it was a bit mixed today. I couldn't get a judge. I thought Labored did very well, even in rock Hampton.
Speaker 2: All right, Joe, Well about another night a response to all of that list, because I'm sure you have quite the opposite list. But I want to move to something else here, which is a campaign being run again in the media, and it comes in lots of different ways and lots of different forms, and sometimes it comes up during during the three yes, in between, sometimes it's focused of an election, right, which is how many investment properties does your MP have? Do they have a family trust, all the rest of it? Right, I'm going to say this right now, unless you are somebody who is overtly out and about screaming like the Greens, and you end up with the Marine Ferrucis on the other side of what they are arguing. Ryan, I don't care why in part because with the pension rule being changed, Yes, two hundred thousand dollars a lot of money, right, three years, six hundred thousand in the Senate at one point whatever, one point two million dollars. Okay, that's all good money, right, but it's not forever life money, okay. So being able to set yourself up to be able to either take the pay cut out of business or trying to set yourself up to have a life after politics, all of that's important. But it seems that this sort of constant reporting on this stuff, what does it meant to expose is it's something that's sort of hypocritical about these people because I just see them as individuals trying to have a life before and after politics.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think everyone loves a bit of a gotcha or just a little bit of a sticky beacon, you know what do they got I don't think it actually plays out too badly because you'd almost be more surprised if politicians were.
Speaker 5: I mean, you get kicked out of parliament if you go bankrupt.
Speaker 11: So if you can't even manage your own personal finances as a politician, that's considered serious enough to actually be expelled from the parliament. That's the only thing apart from actually committing a jailable crime. So I think that's one of the things I think it's one of the reasons why, the reason why most people like the people I know who are most negatively geared not politicians.
Speaker 5: They are cops.
Speaker 11: They are one cop married to another, cops, three kids, two and I think they had three that've got absolutely no I think they had two houses, one they lived in obviously now and maybe a flat. I think they had absolutely no money in the bank. This was no shore or anything like that. This is just what they This was their.
Speaker 2: Entire because at the end of their putting the house on it and all the money falls into paying for their retirement.
Speaker 5: That that's exactly right.
Speaker 11: And that's why I think and that kind of that is the sort of sweet spot of aspiration or middle Australia. And that is why politicians don't cut negative gearing. And I think maybe there's a nudge nudge drinking. Oh they don't want to do it because they're all into it. Certainly plenty of them are, and plenty of Greens have took containing advantage.
Speaker 2: Well, and this is my thing, James, that I think the timing in and around this, in and around election, right, it's not about whether you know the information or not. You can go on the Parliamentary register at three out of and sixty if you want to do it on the middle of Christmas Day, it's available for you to go and have a look at right. I think dropping it into an election is overtly trying to breathe life into a Teal or a Green style campaign.
Speaker 13: Well, look, I don't have a problem with these people owning multiple homes, whether it be a politician or the blokenext order me who might have an investment. We all know that real estate is one of the best investments. That's why they call it blue chip. And when you see what's happened to the stock market in the last couple of weeks, you can see why people flock to bricks and mortar. But what I have a real problem with is hypocrisy, and when you've got the Greens out there and the tials sort of demonizing these people that have got one or two investment properties. And keep in mind how a lot of people end up with an investment property by the way they've lived in it and then habit I want to move because of work, or they've upsized because of family, and they often find that the tax benefits of putting it in the rental pool is actually a benefit to them and they end up with growing an asset.
Speaker 5: And of course, as we all know, we want.
Speaker 13: People to be successful so that they're not reliant on the pension laid down the track. But it's this whole argument that the Greens have run that demonizing these people, when the actual fact why we've got a housing shortage is we're allowing too many people into the country. Demonizing the people who've just used a legal tax measure to better themselves and also help those who can't afford a house or I've got people that live up the road for me, they don't want to be here any more than twelve months, so why are they going to go and buy a house. They're happy to rent for the meantime until they move on to the next job somewhere else in the state.
Speaker 5: To other things say.
Speaker 11: The other thing is that the Greens are behind the eight ball because the housing crisis is now so acute that it's a rental crisis more than it is a first home ownership crisis, and so you actually want to encourage more investment in housing.
Speaker 1: Well, which does bring me to if there.
Speaker 2: Is an underperformance of the Greens, and I think we can put it down to a lot of their social anti semitic all that stuff, right, But they've run so hard on the federal government getting involved in the private rental market that I would have thought that their growth would have been in those high rental seats.
Speaker 1: But presumably it's not happening.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry to double it, but yeah, I'm told that the thing that's really hurting the Greens is not the anti semitism. It is the housing stuff, and is the fact that they blocked at Labour's housing bill for so long, while jumping up and down and saying we need to do more about housing. Fix is better, and the Greens like to brag that there are people who support them, high information voters, and they were high information af to realize that this stank, It was reaked of hypocrisy. You had their housing spokesperson who was also opposing housing development in his own electorate, yes, which he stole from Labor quite unfairly, I thought in mind view. And so that's why they're optimistic of cloring back at least one, maybe two or even three seats in Brisbane.
Speaker 2: All right, well we'll see what happens. Interestingly, by the way, Sky News is the one that's going to have the debate. I think in the next couple of days around three o'clock we'll have some good local marginal seat debates.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to seeing that.
Speaker 2: I believe the Brisbone one is coming up, I think on Thursday, or double check and tell you on the other side when it comes to exactly when. But you'll see all of them battling it out here again. We love it, from the leader's debate to the seats to the pub tests to all the rest of it.
Speaker 1: We're so across it. We love it no matter what's happening.
Speaker 2: Quickly from politics for a second, a little breather for everyone. At RSL Club in Sydney's decided no two up on Anzac Day. Why because too many loons end up turning up, getting massively sourced carrying on. And I've got to say, while it's a lovely little tradition, I kind of agree that it's a little bit out of control and there's this sort of performative thing where they're not there to go. Yeah, the ANZACs, there's no moment of silence. They've gone on the cans the night before, they've slept until midday, then they turn up in the afternoon to carry on like chucks.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: The RSL said, you know what, No, let's go back to basics here. Look everyone, I'll probably play a game of it all the rest of it, right, But James, I do think that we have let this thing become a really lazy way of recognizing the reason that that day is a public holiday for a lot of people.
Speaker 13: Well, Paul, I'm just questioning why they don't throw those chooks, as you call them out why have they got to stay on the premises. There's a responsible service of alcohol that every premises has to have, and if you too sour st up, you shouldn't be there. Get them out. The game of two ups should go on. I enjoy just watching it. I'm not much of a fan of losing money because the one and only time I've played, I lost about one hundred bucks and that was enough for me. So I enjoy watching people get carried away and have a bit of a win too. But yeah, throw the chucks out, as you say, and let the game play on to shame people spoil things for others.
Speaker 2: To me, it be one of those things Joe where and I've seen this in lots of pubs. Look, if it's accompanied with people singing the songs of previous times, it just doesn't seem to be.
Speaker 1: A recognition around the game.
Speaker 5: It's the performance. I had the exact same reaction with you. I was like, how dare that this is outrageous?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 5: Actually, sense, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 11: It was the veterans and their families who requested a more sort of warm family atmospe that wasn't loud, that.
Speaker 5: Wasn't raucus to James's point.
Speaker 11: The truth is he can be a bit loud and drunk and ruining the atmosphere of a place without actually breaking any rules or breaking the lawn.
Speaker 5: So it can be probably a bit hard to burn them out.
Speaker 11: But anyone who's been in North bind irsl knows that's at that combination between sort of real veneration when they pause for the minute silence and everything, and you know, the most hedonistic young crowd that you could you know, glamour pusses, you know, the pains you could possibly imagine. And I think you're absolutely right. I think there's a lot of people who pay lip service to the tradition. It's performative. An Zach King, I don't think there's sort of people you see at the dawn service, correct.
Speaker 2: But also but even if even if you're a pub and you're running this, I'd love to see the social media videos because I think one of the coolest moments on Anzac Day, and I'm sorry to use that word but it is, is the minute silence at the MCG before a foota game like that is that's amazing moment. I love if, like half an hour into these games, all the clubs and pubs agreed that was a minute silence and that again would be this beautiful moment. We'd see anyway, some ideas for people in the next of the wall. All right, now we're interestingly meet to somebody who's running for the Senate for One Nation in Victoria. His name's Warren Pickering. So James, thank you for your time, Joe, thank you for yours. Let's have a chat to the blow you'd like to be a Senator from Victoria. Next on a second, we know that One Nation is doing very well at the moment when it comes to the polls, their national vote seems to be up on where it was three years ago. It could be anywhere from two maybe four points up, and once you start to break its state by state, it is an interesting picture, meaning we could get some new faces in the Senate, which may will end up being the case. Warren Pickering is the candidate for One Nation when it comes to Victoria, and he's been fighting for that final spot that'll be decided of course, over the next couple of weeks and then known a couple of weeks after that, Warren joins us. Now, Warren, get a mate, why do you want to be a polly.
Speaker 9: Look, mate, I wouldn't say that I want to, but one its a matter of necessity. Let's be honest. We need more real people to get involved in the political things and this is the best way to continue to provide a service for my community.
Speaker 1: So here we are, all right, let's talk about your past.
Speaker 2: A former Army combat engineer and you've been around politics as well. Tell me about your time in the service, which of course we thank you for.
Speaker 9: Oh, you know, you're very welcome. Look, my service was both an honor and a privilege. So my service began as a full time combat engineer in the Australian Army in about twenty thirteen, combat operations in combat zones, as a trainer instructor to Iraq, and humanitarian a disaster relief operations around the planet. So look, it was both an honor and privilege, as I said, Looking since then, I moved back to Victoria a few years ago. Engage One Nation Party the only vehicle that I've ever seen and the only party that I've ever supported that I believe can be the catalyst for change in this country. So I threw my hand up to run and was nominated to run on the Senate ticket in twenty twenty two. We didn't expect to do well and we didn't do too badly. So since then we've thrown a bit more at it twenty twenty two. Contrary to what most people think, they think because Senator Hanson has been around since nineteen ninety eight, we've nineteen ninety six, we've been firmly established in Victoria all this time, but we haven't. So the reality is twenty twenty two we run our first state election in Victoria.
Speaker 5: We utilize there well.
Speaker 9: I believe it's a subversion of democratic process, the group voting ticket in the Socialist Republic of Victoria, but we managed it to good effect. We managed to get an elected member up, missus Ricky Lee Tyrell for Northern Victoria region. So since then we've actually established the party in Victoria. And look, I'll be honest, mate, there's never been more appetite for this party in Victoria than there is right now. It's fantastic time to be a part of the One Nation Party in Victoria.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, breath the fresh air. People liking what they're seeing on the telly. Right now, let's talk about priorities and areas of policy focus.
Speaker 1: Reducing red tape is something that you'd like to do, But why would you like to do that?
Speaker 9: Well, because we know red tape, among other things, is such an impediment to business, especially in the state of Victoria. So we've had one hundred and twenty three thousand businesses close or move in a state in twenty twenty three alone. So that's without last year, which was arguably worse from my perspective.
Speaker 5: You know, we're suffering a.
Speaker 9: Housing shortage and we've had a seventy percent increase in construction companies filing for insolvency.
Speaker 5: How does that even occur?
Speaker 9: You know, it's effectively red tape and taxes, and that's what we've seen too much of in Victoria. Granted it's as largely a state issue when you refer to the taxes, because again we've seen sixty sixty new or increased taxes in Victoria in a decade. Now, that's evident of a state and federal government if I'm honest, suffering from serious fiscal literacy, and Victorian's are feeling it. Victoria is now the worst state in the country to do business in.
Speaker 5: It's disgusting.
Speaker 2: Now, I certainly know that the income splitting gets a lot of people's heads nodding, particularly barbecues, and in the real world of the one nation policy offerings, does get that surprising? Oh okay, maybe I didn't know you were about.
Speaker 9: That, So I find one of the big ones most people expect one nation to be, you know, you know, have immigration caps and whatever else. But I don't think people until now have understood what we were in, you know, our intent by these They just thought we must have been being racist, But the reality is nothing. There's nothing racist about wanting to protect your country. And we've seen what one point eight million people come in within three years, and it's completely unsustainable. You know, this has caused the strain on all of our services and exacerbated that the housing shortage and the cost of living crisis. So look, while it's not a surprise to people to hear that we obviously have strict policy on immigration, it is a surprise to people that it's developed from a place of economic management and and economic literacy rather than you know, just deciding we want to shut the gates and not allow our people into our country. So people have been amenable to that discussion, more so now than they previously have and that's what I've found. I've been on prepol all day today and as you've previously said, I think, mate, this election could potentially be won or lost in the suburban areas of both Melbourne and Sydney, and that's what I'm seeing on the ground today, and people are having these conversations. I've been specifically today out in the southeastern suburbs and there's a lot of people of ethnic origins and ethnic backgrounds that have actually been very amenable to voting One Nation. I think you know that there's a feeling on the ground that people have had enough and they don't know how best to affect the fruit of them in process change.
Speaker 1: I'm going to jump in, mate, for give me.
Speaker 5: That's entirely the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got to keep the ads going, all right, so we'll get that in the moment or two. Is time One Nation dot org today if you want more information all the be's nice to meet you, mate, good luck, thank you see tomorrow.
Speaker 11: By tak