Speaker 1: The phone call I had with him after the Harbor cruise was the rudest I've been spoken to, probably by anyone in the history of me covering this game. I'll never ring Michael McGuire again because I don't care.
Speaker 2: Part went inside body. I said, did it well? They're celebrating.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm doing a column on the Brisbane Broncos and that spectacular victory down there in Canberra on Sunday. I'm joined by Buzz Rothfield, my old colleague. But Buzz, I think it's time, in all honesty, that you came out and said something publicly about your ongoing criticism of Michael McGuire and the Broncos.
Speaker 2: It's been condemnation from round one to hear.
Speaker 1: Well, are you prepared to apologize or to what you said about Jason Rowles in August twenty You know they've finished eleventh since your column. They beat the russ thirty ten Warriors twenty six, twenty two, nine sixty six ten forty points to fourteen their average. You know, can I write a column about you stuffing it up?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Because it's a bit different because the Broncos are in the Premium Final and PARAMOUNTA around thirteenth, the Michael McGuire.
Speaker 1: Eleven getting backs right, they ran.
Speaker 3: Eleventh, eleventh, Okay, eleventh, it's still not playing finals footy. But anyway, you said for the outset buzz, there were problems at red Hill and it all started around this alleged player unrest.
Speaker 2: Why did you write that. Are you prepared now to say that I got it wrong?
Speaker 1: No, I'm definitely, definitely, definitely not prepared to say I got it wrong to I wrote the column because Madge had a lot of history at the West Tigers and at the South Sidney Rabbits, which you would admit that he lost the sheds and was sacked from both jobs. Okay, I was getting mal early in the season after their army camps and the vomit buckets and players were spewing into training, all that sort of stuff that the players are off Madge. So I wrote it, and I checked it, and I think my information at the time was probably correct that they were offing, and I think Madge might have even recognized that and just pulled back that little bit, that slight little bit. I don't know, but I'm telling you what I think. So I've got absolutely no apologies to make I'll go into the Harbor cruse. You want me to talk about the Harbor Grouse.
Speaker 3: Column harbruse, Yeah, I do, actually, because the Harbor Cruise are something that a lot of clubs do, a lot of teams do you seem to pick out the Broncos and target them specifically, when to me it appeared from the outside looking in to be quite unfair.
Speaker 1: So they come to Sydney a couple of days early. They jump on Anthony Bell's ten million dollar luxury lot that not luxury yacht that normally carries celebrities. You know, Michael Clark or anyone you seeing Sydney Confidential for a culture experience on Fort Dennison. Well, you know what, that's bullshit, dog a cultural experience on Fort Dennison. You know, I wrote that column because we've got a responsibility to tell our roaders what happens behind the scenes. And you know what happened. Two days after that Harbor Cruise they played the South Sydney Rabbit as the easy beats of the competition and they were beaten twenty two to fourteen, and they are in a bit of trouble. Then the Broncos.
Speaker 4: Time I get that but this is about the long haul, not about one result.
Speaker 2: This is about building camaraderie. That's what it was all about. You can label it what you like, whether it's cultural or camaraderie or just mates getting together for a bit, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: If you ask me, at that stage of the season, they were in a mini crisis. They were, you know they were, And there were rumblings out of Red Hill. I'm sorry there were. You might have heard them, but I did. I'm prepared to give him a rap now and say that he's done a fantastic job with the side under the circumstances, and that victory was as good a game of football as I can probably ever recall yesterday, what about you. You wrote a column two years ago about Benji Marshall. You said Benji marsh was no good. Then you wrote a groveling apology to him. Come on, some of the stuff I say, I actually stand by it. It wasn't just me that was concerned about vomit buckets and army cans. If you want to check with Clint Newton at the RLPA, if you want to check with people at the at the NRL, I think you'll find They had concerns too about certain training measurements a team make. The game has changed. You know that great young footballer died from heat Exhauce Gin at many Seagulls. It's a debate to have dog the demand on players in the summer heat and the off season preparation, it's a debate to have.
Speaker 3: In June, you said on radio that Brisbane have no heart, no desire, no passion and no idea in hindsight. Given they are eighty minutes from a Grand Final, are you prepared to say I went to heavy.
Speaker 1: Where were they on the competition ladder?
Speaker 2: Then I haven't got that in front of me.
Speaker 1: Well, that's convenia.
Speaker 2: At one point you wrote that that you are demanding that they change their playing style, which seems to be working right now.
Speaker 1: I demanded, well, how do you know they haven't changed this style? Maybe Madg's read it and that was part of it. You don't know that the phone call I had with him after the Harbor cruise was the rudest I've been spoken to, probably by anyone in the history of me covering this game. And I'm not going to sit back here have an opinion and allow someone like him to just rip and tear. I stand by every store where. I stand by the fact he was offloaded by the West Tigers and the South in the Rabbits, And I wrote it as I saw it, And you know what, I've been proven wrong. But I'm not going to apologize because they have had a great season. But you can't tell me they're doing it absolutely everything now right now, like Sunday afternoon, like they're doing early in the season. The place has evolved, the place has changed. They're obviously a happy, foody camp there now.
Speaker 3: Said they've got a communication problem because this has been an ongoing an attack from you all year on maguire, they had a communication problem and that the players couldn't relate to Michael McGuire.
Speaker 2: Well, it looked like they were later on the weekend.
Speaker 1: How do you know that wasn't right when I wrote it. Do you think I just sit here and write stuff or do you think I hear from players? And well, while I'm telling you, I heard from player managers. And I asked Badell, asked Ben Dobbin and Brisbane if I I've got a source within the club who's been leaking to me all year, and that same source said to me and mate, I cannot reveal them. I so wish I could. That Madge was having communication problems getting through to the team. Now, what coaches do, what very good coaches do, when they are having communications problems, They decide is it the players or is it me? And Madge, for all I know, decided it was him. I don't know that, but things change in rugby league on a daily basis. And I'm sorry, bulldog if i'm you know, it's They're just my thoughts. And the day I worry about upsetting people is the day we stop doing our job.
Speaker 3: No, I get that. I just think you've been very hard to imagine. I think you should be applauded for what he's done.
Speaker 1: I've said that. I've said that, but I'm not going to apologize. Anyone owns an apologics me for the manner in which he spoke to me over the phone.
Speaker 2: Well, just finally you wrote something that was negative toward him. I think he was to have a crack at year, wasn't he?
Speaker 1: There were people in this game not quite as intense as mad And this happens to me every week, and we pick up the phone and we discuss it like adults, right. That's the way I do business. And I'll never ring Michael Maguire again because I don't care. I don't care what he thinks. I'm paid to have a view. I've been around a lot longer than him. Yes, I haven't achieved what he has. He's won a great title at South Sydney. They're wonderful side to watch Reese Wolf Wow. And they've managed to unlock him the last month. You know how they've unlocked him because they changed the way they've played dog Buzz.
Speaker 2: We disagree. We'll leave it at that. Things buzz see a dog