Speaker 1: Good. I tell him it's you project. I am in the middle of two beautiful women Dr Sam Casey and Tiffany and Cook oh TIFFs looking around for the beautiful woman. I see what you did there. Don't don't sell yourself short. That's Scott's job. Yeah, that Scott's job.
Speaker 2: He does a terrible job.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know. I think he's built a little bloody temple of you at his actual house up in bumfuck or wherever he lives, southern out out eastern, you know, wherever. But he does love you, I mean you are loved by him like it's like the fucking Golden Retriever. It just looks up at you with those big goofy eyes. Except he's got no hair. So maybe we'll call him a bisenji. Do you know what a is? Have you ever seen a bissenji? No, it's a kind of dog. Look it up. I'm not sure on the spelling. I think it's b E, S, E and J I or similar. And they don't bark. They don't bark. They can't bark. Just double check. I could be full of shit, But when I was a kid, my uncle used to breathe them and yeah. So they're a barkless dogs. So for people who don't want to annoy the shit out of their neighbors, get a bisenji. Yeah, doctor Sam, you didn't know that, did you? No?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: And you always hear about like the Golden retriever energy or like that's like a thing, right, but you don't hear yeah any up types.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, so yeah, tips a bit of a golden Retriever. She's more of a yellow Lab when it comes to food and focus. Right. She can focus until she's hungry, and then she's fucking She goes from nine out of ten value to one.
Speaker 3: I don't like that, but I get a bit hungry like that coming on, like I need something to eat.
Speaker 1: That must be a girl thing, because Tiff gets hungry all the time. She mainly gets angry when she trains.
Speaker 4: Happened midwork out last week, didn't it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sure did? When you just a delight to be around, I'm like, fuck off and go and eat some cake.
Speaker 3: Fuck off sogeny cake with you when you hang out.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's that's just what we need in the gym break glass in case of angeriness. You know, there's a fucking chocolate muffin and Tiff just smashing the glass with a fist. Yeah, I don't think that would last too long in the gym, Doctor Sam Casey all the way from Western Australia, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good Now.
Speaker 1: I did a little check in, but let's do a one minute check in on you, because it's not all about us, it's a bit about you, and even though you're the problem solver, we need to you know, we didn't need to make sure you're traveling. Okay. Now, you and I had a little chat before our last podcast. Could you had a a not small speaking gig coming up in quite a in front of quite a few people. How did you if ten? Now ten's based on your ten how do you what would you score? Would you have given yourself out of ten run?
Speaker 2: I would say maybe like six?
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, okay. Now, upon reflection, what would you do different? What's one or two things? Because Tip's a speaker as well, and she's a little bit ahead of where you're up at in terms of development and evolution and working in the space. But so what did you learn, what would you do different or what would you change?
Speaker 3: It's really good when you get to see other people speaking too, So sometimes at these events, right like, you're not the only speaker.
Speaker 2: There's a few others.
Speaker 3: And it's good to see the different types of presentations as you're sitting there.
Speaker 2: And what I've noticed is.
Speaker 3: I like more off the presentations that say less on the slides. And I think I'm one to be like, I have so much I want to say, and I want to put things in the sides and almost like over prepare. But I think the most powerful presentations aren't necessarily about someone trying to give as much information as possible. It's also being able to provide this experience, right, And I think when we have imagery and you know, less is kind of best in this, we are able to really tap into it being more for conversation.
Speaker 2: And so I think my takeaway and.
Speaker 3: Since then I've been going to some other professional development type things, but yeah, so since then, I've really noticed that it is more important to make it more for conversation, to really focus on that connection with the audience. And I think the more that we can do that, which is again picking maybe topics that are really yet this is I know where I'm going with this, And in the imagery to kind of help us. Along with that, I think the better presentations would be.
Speaker 2: So that is the goal.
Speaker 1: Wow, amazing, Well six out of ten. My first was a fucking one point three out of ten. So you smashed me out of the park.
Speaker 3: Trying this like a new thing where I like try and be a bit more or less critical of myself, so rather than being like zero for everything, that's.
Speaker 1: Good, that's good. But I was at one point three like they hated me, so I wasn't being They couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was like I had some kind of toxic condition. They had to evacuate the room. Anyway, That's all right, I got better. I'm now I'm a two now and I'm just fucking I'm rocketing up to a three by next Christmas. You know what's interesting is that, like, you know a lot, You've got a PhD, you know a lot, You've done a lot of work, You've had thousands of conversations, and you can talk. You've very got a good vocab. You're very chatty, and if anything like, I don't think we've ever had a guest who produces as many words per minute as you do.
Speaker 2: Efficient.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's call it that. Yeah. Sure, I mean some say motor mouth, but let's go with efficient. Right, So that's beautiful. No, you do, you talk really well, But isn't it different how when you're going to do essentially the same thing in a different context, how differently you appro You go, Well, I talk about this stuff or a version of this stuff all the time, and now I'm doing it out there, and it's just me on this stage and all these faces looking at me, and no one's talking back. It's just me. It's a different kind of dynamic, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think often people assume, Okay, the more you know, the better you'd be at this, or like you know, like you said, you've got a PhD, so you'd be right up there. But if anything, I actually find it harder because your mind has been overloaded with information.
Speaker 2: And quite often when we want to have.
Speaker 3: Conversations with others about what we're passionate about and what we feel like might really support them is just getting back to basics, and we feel really disconnected from that. So you want to stay therapy, you know, I'm into these man's topics, but I'm like, I just want to go back to the basics and talk to people about you know, when I was first finding out about it and all of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah. By the way, for our listeners, no, I did not intend this at all, but I just remembered. I'm going to do an introduction to public speaking sometime. I'm going to do workshops sometime in the next month or two. Haven't figured anything out. It's probably going to be it might be two and a half or three hours. I'm not sure. But if you're interested in that, go to our Facebook page, the New Project Facebook page, you Project podcast Facebook page. I'm going to do that because I seem to have at least three conversations a week with people who ask me how do I do what you do? Or a version of that, So that's coming up. It won't be free, but it won't be expensive. So you know, support old Harps get in there, you know, pay for his mum's hip operation, you know, be a friend. I was going to say to you, did any imposter syndrome, any self doubt, any of that kind of happen?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and that's always something in the background I've noticed throughout my whole journey, and I think I feel it more so because I wasn't that student that was getting straight a's and that was the top of the class and that.
Speaker 2: Was kind of getting that feedback.
Speaker 3: I was the one that was failing, Like I was the one that didn't know or felt like I didn't know anything, and I was always struggling.
Speaker 2: And so now I have this.
Speaker 3: Identity or others obviously perceive of me, which is where you've got a PhD, like you're right up here, and it's like, oh, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Really feel like that, but I have to.
Speaker 3: I somewhat feel like, yeah, you're on a pedestal, and then you kind of that pressure to live up to that pedestal. And I think I'm always trying to kind of reconnect with I'm not that of what people see of me. This is kind of my journey and really trying to be authentic with that. But yeah, I think that that is always going to be there in some capacity, but I don't let it stop me from taking the actions that I want to take towards where I.
Speaker 1: Want to go. So it's so interesting because I think a lot of very smart, talented, highly qualified or not necessarily highly qualified, but just smart people have got a lot to offer and a lot to teach. You know, what gets in the way is not their talent or their capacity, but rather what they think of their talent or their capacity. So it's not my ability or potential that gets in the way, it's how I feel about that, you know. So it's trying to navigate that. I know a lot, Like there's that duality of I feel inadequate, but I know that in this room talking about this topic, I'm not inadequate, and trying to navigate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, isn't that interesting because it comes, I feel like, comes down to these cool wombs that a lot of us women or people have around not feeling like they're enough or feeling like they're too much, and they're constantly trying to battle with that, and it comes out ifnecessarily our work.
Speaker 2: Are parenting, our relationships.
Speaker 3: So you're right, it's not necessarily fast, but it's a story that we tell ourselves about ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we always have to be conscious of that.
Speaker 1: I know there's no one solution to this. To feel free to jump in because it's pretty relevant to you as well. I know there's no single solution, but is part of it just being able to sit with those feelings of I'm not enough or I'm too much of this or too little of that, or I'm unqualified or I'm not smart enough or whatever the self destructive story is. But doing it anyway, like being able to what's that old book, feel the fear and do it anyway? I feel like it's that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, And I find this really interesting in the therapy world because you know, the traditional kind of like cognitive behavioral therapy often talks about these things of going, you've got this belief, then take it apart, where did this come from? Restructure make it more helpful, and then you've got the newer form of I really love acceptance of commitment therapy, and their philosophy is, Yep, it's there. What if it can just be there and we can still take action towards our values? What if we actually don't need to change that feeling, but still being able to show up in the ways that we want. And I think that that resonates a lot more with me, because we can spend so much of our lives. See, if anything, we can spend a whole life trying to figure out these things before we do the thing. And I feel like act AT talks about you know, what that can be there, and that's always going to be there in some kind of capacity, but let's just go live the life that we're meant to live.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I agree, I feel anyway, look here and do it anyway.
Speaker 1: And you're going to do stuff that you'll feel inadequate and you'll feel not good enough, but hey, that's pretty much everyone at some stage of their journey, right, So yeah, I don't feel good enough, but I'm going to do what I need to. And I think that almost like that, you know that I feel anxious, and that's okay because people feel anxious. It's like this doesn't need to hijack my day.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think it's when we fight with it, right, that we then become at war with ourselves and it completely stops us from doing the thing. And I think about I spent most of my PhD doubting myself, Like a majority of the time I was having some kind of breakdown of how I can't do this and it's impossible. But after those times, obviously finding a way through in whatever capacity that I did, and then I've gotten through it and I've done it, and it's yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's there. So I think about, yeah, how.
Speaker 3: Much we fight with ourselves, and it's almost like a form of self sabotage, really, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It is. And I don't want to be a boring academic or I don't want to step into the bloody PhD club. But just for one moment, I truly did not understand what I was getting into right when I started, and I truly didn't understand how fucking hard it was. I was a little bit like, ah, yeah, yeah, I know it's going to be hard, it's going to be tough, but I am hard and I am tough, so it is fine, I'm like, and it just smashed me, smashed me like so much, so much stuff that I didn't know, so much language that I didn't understand, so much learning that I did not have under my belt. And also starting you know, in your fifties is not an ideal but it's okay, But it's not an ideal time to start.
Speaker 2: Is there every idea or time when you think.
Speaker 1: About it, Yeah, that's true, that's true, and there are so many like, yeah, you might be twenty five and your brain's brilliant, but the situation or the context of your life just doesn't lend itself to go on a UNI and doing a PhD. But you might wake up at forty and go, I'm doing one.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I always thought I was always, at the beginning of my Jenny a bit envious if the students that could just obviously beat university all day, every day and kind of in it. And I was like, oh, they must have it so much easier. And it was only when I started to progress in a way that they didn't. And they were doing time, so they were doing more than double the hours. You know, the whole world was consumed by that.
Speaker 2: And what I.
Speaker 3: Noticed is because the whole world was consumed by it, they were going around in circles and there was so like they kind of lost perspective. And because I had limited time, yes, I was getting caught in loops, but I also just didn't have the time to be caught in those loops.
Speaker 2: I came here to do a thing.
Speaker 3: I had to spend most of my time doing that thing so I can get back to my kids and to work and to my family. And so that actually helped me. And so even in life, I think we often wait for these perfect conditions, but ultimately it's probably just doing it amongst everything else. And that's what gives us the perspective of life. And it's enriched my PhD so much and my parenting and.
Speaker 2: Me as a person being able to do it.
Speaker 3: Amongst everything else, because essentially that's what life is.
Speaker 2: We can't stop everything and then live in a cave right and do the thing and then go out.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, if I give you three hours to do something, you'll take three hours. If I give you one hour to do something, you'll take one hour.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. That is a thing.
Speaker 3: And I noticed I actually had to get really I had to get really good at that.
Speaker 2: If going, you know what, this is the only time I've got, I'm just going to go do it.
Speaker 3: And as you know, with research, it's never ending. You could there's just an unlimited time of research. You could keep going with this. You need a line in the sand there, and I wouldn't have been able to do that.
Speaker 2: I gave myself all the time.
Speaker 1: How much do you think of people not fulfilling their potential. I'm not saying everyone needs to be exploring their potential on a daily basis and breaking new ground, but for those people who go I'm kind of a bit dissatisfied, or I wish I was more advanced in this area, or I'd make more progress, or I'd like to be in a different whatever situation, circumstance, environment, job, whatever it is. And they have all the issues that you and I and perhaps Tiff has, How do you do you think that that's mainly that they're being held back by their ability and what is capable or what they're capable of, or more just the self limiting talk and the fear and the anxiety.
Speaker 3: I think it's a self limitation because if you think about having a big goal, a lot of the time you're going to hear people say, when this happens, I will do this. When my kids are older, I'll do this, or when I retire, I'm going to do this. So we create this gap and then we feel really dissatisfied that we're living a life opposite to what we wish we would be doing. But I think if we can close that gap and knowing it's not going to look this perfect way, it's going to look like maybe ten minutes if you studying, or ten minutes if you, you know, chipping away this goal every day amongst all the other chaos.
Speaker 2: I think that's a way to be able to go authentically.
Speaker 3: Living out what I really wanted to do when I'm challenging myself to work on this in a little way every day. And I think a lot of people can't do that because they want it to either look perfectly or not try it all. So it's like, I'm either going to write this book when I'm in a cave and perfect conditions, or I'm just not going to do it at all, or I'm going to do when everything in my life is sorted and everyone's taking care of and then it's my time versus going Maybe it's about showing up in the chaos and the mess and doing it imperfectly, but knowing that that's actually part of that process and the consistency amongst that will get you there.
Speaker 2: It's almost like you've already arrived to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not when the book is finished, but when you're just writing for ten minutes a day, like you've arrived exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's like that that perfect time or that ideal time that we wait for to do that thing or change that thing, or address that thing, or write that book, or lose that weight or build that muscle or whatever it is, we look up in a minute and it's five years down the track and we're still telling ourselves the same thing, or we're still finding the same reason slash excuses. I mean, I think the just accepting that the things I need to do will be inconvenient, the things that I need to do are going to be uncomfortable, and you know it won't fit in with this perfect or it won't fit in perfectly. It might be quite lumpy and bumpy and messy, but at the end of you know, like I remember someone saying to me early days, they said, when you finish your PhD, you're going to be you know, you're going to be like sixty sixty one or whatever. I went, well, here's the thing I'm going to hopefully I live that long. I did, Well, you know I'm going to wake up in five year is I'll be sixty one with a PhD or without a PhD. You know, it's like, well, I'm gonna do stuff for the next five years anyway, And of course the PhD is not all I did for five years, well six years now, but yeah, it's that of course, of course, of course, because we're all going to talk about stuff, and in a minute, it's going to be two thousand and thirty one, not twenty twenty six. And some people listening right now, if they don't change, will literally be having the same inner dialogue about the thing that they're still not doing. And some of them have been God bless you. By the way. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but this is just a human experience. They were having conversations they're having now with themselves, they were having five years ago, and they were fantasizing about this ideal time and space and energy that would happen soon. And now we're twenty twenty six and that shit hasn't come, and we're still waiting for this, you know, this miracle sign.
Speaker 3: And I think what I was underrated for me is it was even about the PhD. When I look back at the journey, it was who I became during that journey. And so I think about, say, having young kids at that stage when I was doing the PhD, I had supervisors and they were holding space for me in ways of encouraging my creativity, challenging my thinking, the critical thinking, teaching me how to be a researcher. Right experimenting with things, following my curiosity, learning more and the skills that I learned while they were holding space to mean, the experience sorry that I had with them, I actually took in my parenting. So even though these academics weren't parents, and they weren't you giving me a parenting class or.
Speaker 2: Anything, they were bringing out something in.
Speaker 3: Me and developing a skill that then I took and I was like, took it back to my kids. Right, So when they were telling me a story, I was looking at Okay, like wow, this is their critical thinking. This is I could see deeper than I think what I would have been able to if I hadn't gone through that process.
Speaker 2: And so same with exercise.
Speaker 3: Right, we think of Okay, I want to lose this weight or want to look a certain way. But when you start to show up for yourself every single day doing movement, connecting with your body, noticing things, you change as a person. You're more likely to take your kids to the park and get on the equipment. You're more likely to go for hikes and going let's come along with me. Like you change, your identity changes and you show up differently.
Speaker 2: So it's then not really about the goal it's about, I guess, the.
Speaker 3: Process of showing up for yourself and how that actually impacts how you show up for others.
Speaker 1: What about the reality that a lot of us and let's jump off PhD. It could be any project could be a PhD, but any project that's more relatable to you, the listener. Something you want to do, be create change right, the fact that my listeners have heard me bang on about this, but I want to hear your take on the value or lack of value perhaps in motivation, in that people get inspired and then they take action or they get motivated, or they get focused, or their emotion state changes. They're up and about and they do it, and then that motivational state changes, they lose motivational focus or whatever. How do we stay proactive and productive when we just can't be fucked or that's our feeling, or we are mentally in a place that we don't want to do it today, but the journey kind of requires that we do it, if not every day, nearly every day. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, a lot of people think you have to be motivated before you go do something, and I mean, like, I'm still not motivated to go to the gym, like I love it when I'm there, but like to get going at five in the morning, I just don't want.
Speaker 2: To go, Like, no part of me feels like they want to go.
Speaker 3: But I think it's developing that self discipline where you hold yourself accountable to the things that you know your future self were thank you for, but also to the.
Speaker 2: Things that build that self trust.
Speaker 3: It's like, when we do what we say we're going to do, that builds a self trust. So it's almost like not acting from feelings, which is really confusing when you know you're like, we're gonna listen to our and it's like, yeah, we do his feedback, but we also need to know when we actually.
Speaker 2: Still have to act. It's like it's like for those moms they.
Speaker 3: Can feel mum guilt but still do the thing, still go out, yes, you know, with their friends, still show up for a j Like to know that we don't actually have to be led by feelings is also.
Speaker 2: Building that self trust in that discipline with ourselves. I think, Yes, I.
Speaker 1: Had this guy once who was very much in this. He wanted to change, but he just struggled to and he did actually struggle to find time because he was a CEO, and he was all the things right, busy and blah blah blah. And I said to him, I want to do one hundred day thing with you that you're not doing with me. You're just going to do it by yourself. But it is the simplest concept of all time. You don't need a gym, you don't need workout gear, you don't you know, whatever it's. And I said, you can do it. You don't need to be super conditioned to do it, but you need to buy in my one hundred percent. And he goes, all right, I'm in. What is it? And I said, I want you to tomorrow do five bodyweight squats and he's like, all right, And I said the next day ten, and then the next day fifteen, the next day, and over one hundred days, he built up to five hundred squats, right, And just doing that one thing changed a lot of things. And he didn't need to do them in a row. He could do ten here, ten there, you know. And obviously by the time you get up to five hundred a day, there's a bit of time there. But even five hundred a day, if you're doing I don't know, twenty in a minute what's that up to twenty five minutes in a day. But he did that, and you know, I spoke with him along the way. I wasn't coaching him per se, I wasn't training him, but just that one thing, it kind of opened this door in his brain where he did something that wasn't necessarily fun, but it was also very simple conceptually. He could do it in his bloody work clothes, he could do it at time, he could do twenty squats in the shower. It didn't matter when he did him or how he did him, as long as our kind of correct form. And it's just that, just that thing, And it wasn't really about the squats, although he did get some real physical benefit because it's quite aerobic when you're doing enough, But it was about what that did to his thinking.
Speaker 2: I think. So that's a perfect example of showing up right.
Speaker 3: And a lot of people struggle with this. It's like they would be like, was a pointed out, that's not what I want to do, like a proper one hour workout or nothing at all, Like I'm not going to waste much doing that. So I think, yeah, people do struggle. They're almost like really cognitive or psychologically really inflexible, whether like it's all or nothing.
Speaker 2: And I think what.
Speaker 3: You've just shown with that guy, it's like, let's sit in the grain, let's show up on a plane that feels boring, really tiny steps, doesn't seem like it's doing much, but focus on showing up for yourself every day.
Speaker 1: So and I know you're not the fitness guru, but you are a psych So somebody they I get this a lot. I feel stuck. I feel stuck and I just can't create momentum. It's a strategy for getting unstuck. And I know this could apply to a myriad of different challenges or factors, But you know, how do we start? How do we create momentum? How do we keep moving the needle without necessarily having to engage a trainer or a gym, or it could be something else, could be a psychologist or whatever. But how do we at least start those wheels turning.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's almost removing as much barriers as possible. And I did this with myself, and I do this with myself. I did that with myself of going I'm actually just going to show up for movements. That's really vague, right, it could be stretching, it could be walking, could be weights. I'm going to show up for a movement every day for at least ten minutes. And when I did that, I could actually be consistent with it, because some days it was like ten minutes of stretching, other days it was an hour of weight. But every day, even on my worst, I found.
Speaker 2: Ten minutes somewhere through the day to just show up.
Speaker 3: And I noticed that when I did that, I started to recognize what my internal self talk was saying. So when I remember postpartum, right, I would stand in the mirror, I'd be like, oh my god, like I'm never going to get back to how I was, and there's so much for me to do. And I noticed this, like dirty mirror. I know anyone who's got kids out there, but my marror is always dirty. And in my mind, I was like, I need to clean this mirror, Like I can't do it, you know, look at me, Like I was just all this bad self talk, and I thought, I'm attaching my worth with the mirror and the dirt and all these things I have to do. But I'm also realizing I can't show up for myself if I'm putting myself down like this is a problem, and so I use that to feel myself of going, I'm going to keep that mirror, daddy, and I'm going to show up for myself for ten.
Speaker 2: Minutes at least.
Speaker 3: And it came like this running thing where I'd keep taking pictures of this dirty mirror, but the fact that I'm going.
Speaker 2: To show up anyway.
Speaker 3: And I think the more that we show up, we notice our self talk and that's the power in it too. So I realized it was actually never about the kids, all the work, or the the house. It was the story I was attaching to it about my worth or the story I was attaching to myself about why I can't do this thing, or why it's harder for me than others or white people don't get it, or why I'm stuck and it's easier for people.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's a self talk, and we only know that when we shot for ourselves to connect with ourselves. So I would say that that changed in so many different ways. My physee changed, but also my mind changed because I actually got to sit with myself and exercise. Does that if you were really in tuned with yourself, you're actually sitting with all your limitations, aren't you now?
Speaker 2: You probably enough.
Speaker 1: I have this kind of awareness realization back in the day when you two were just thoughts twinkles in your mum's eyes, and that was why aren't you? Like? My clients would come in, we do the thing. We'd do an assessment, you know, kind of fundamental assessment. We'd have a chat, we'd set goals, we'd start the wheels turning, and we'd try and whatever it was them and I two times, three times a week, blah blah blah blah blah, and it wasn't until and it was okay, it was okay. But then as I was evolving and trying to figure out, how do I do better? How do I get people more focused, more committed, getting better results, more accountable, more process driven, more all the things that would help them get where they wanted to go. And I was being selfish too because I also had this other awareness. The better the better results my clients get, the more clients I get, because they're my marketing. Because people would walk around in shape and people go, what have you been doing? That'd say, A trained with this dude, Like who's the dude? Like this is pre marketing, branding, social media. There's none of that, right, So if I knew that if I got someone who was quite out of shape, in shape in a healthy, sustainable way, that I would probably get five clients through that person. Now you extrapolate that over the next five and so on. And so within a very short period of time, I was really busy with really no brand and no but had this little group of fans that were you know, or people that believed in me and what I did anyway, and that the thing that I introduced was twenty eight day testing, and so every twenty eight days every four weeks, my clients would come in and we would do like relevant to them testing. And it might just be something as simple as using skin fold calipers and doing a basic body fat assessment, equation, girth measurements. It could be a running test, a simple running test. It could be a step up test on a box. It could be upper body, it could be a prone hold core like I would just choose five or six little tests that for them were meaningful and also aligned with their goals and their commitment and their excitement and their focus went through the roof. Because like people would come and say to me, it's day twenty two. I'm like, what they like, it's day twenty two. I'm getting tested in six days. So they were so aware of that they were going to be and we're not testing them to make them feel good or bad, but rather to go, well, this is where you were twenty eight days ago, this is where you are now. Well done, that's amazing, or this could be a bit better, but that's great.
Speaker 2: So let's be either way, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, It's like if I go if somebody took my phone off me and said you can't measure your steps anymore, I'd be super grumpy because I'm not addicted. But I like the fact that I can. I know, I know I've got to do rock Bottom ten thousand, and you know, I've had meetings all day and been doing stuff all day, and I just looked before and I'm like, oh fuck, I got seven thousand steps to do today. Yeah, I'm all right.
Speaker 3: I've got my watch too, and I just I love to gamify it. I feel like it really waits for my brain, like knowing there's that.
Speaker 2: Ten k you know number there.
Speaker 3: It helps me kind of track where I'm at, like you said, because I could be on my feet all day around.
Speaker 2: The house and I'm like two thousand steps.
Speaker 3: I could have a couple of walks and you know, ten minute walks, and I'm already at like ten k. Like, it's just crazy, how I don't measure that properly without my watch.
Speaker 2: So I think it is.
Speaker 1: I think that's just an individual knowing how they work. Like if you work with data, if data works for you, if feedback works for you, if measuring stuff you know four weeks apart. So it's the same person doing the same test, we're getting different results. People get really inspired by that. Some people do anyway, I'm one of them, because when you look at yourself twenty times a day, the same person looking in the state, it's very hard to see the change because you see so much of you. But when you do a test here and then a test there and there's nothing in between, now you've got two sets of data that become really meaningful. And then your trainer says to you, by the way, you went from twenty kilos to twenty five kilos, that's a twenty five percent improvement in twenty eight days. That it's fucking crazy, And they're like, oh, is it, And they go, yes, you're doing twenty twenty five percent of twenty is five and now you've gone up five kilos, So that's literally a twenty five percent improvement, which is a big improvement in a short time. They're pumped, they're excited, and then they train even harder or they work more meticulously or devotedly over than you know. So I think whatever it is that will help us because the whole willpower white knuckling it, toughing it out, you know, discipline, self control. Yeah maybe, but show me a person who's the only resources they've had for the last fifty years is just like managing their mind. Like sometimes we just need external tools that are going to help us get where we want to go.
Speaker 2: Definitely, And it all can be feedback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you in that group? Tip? Do you do you rely on it or do you just value it or neither?
Speaker 4: I'm better with it. I'm heaps better with it.
Speaker 1: What's the What are your two or three favorite things that you measure that that help you mentally?
Speaker 4: Oh? I like I've been liking the big like dead lifts and bench press. Since I've been strength training, I've liked moving towards that, but I haven't always been super consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I know, like when I train.
Speaker 4: With you and we get to do a big lift and we've been doing bench again a lot lately, I get quite a bit excited when it's been it's bench data.
Speaker 1: How good is it? Yeah? Even me, I'm like, I like the fact that I can still do some things that I did when I was forty, and I go, well, twenty two years later, I can do as many chins as I did when I was forty, and that you know, nobody else that's meaningless to anyone else, but to me, it's like good because that's that's like for me, that's a big achievement. You know, it's like man, And so I think it's finding out that you know that resource, that tool, or that you know that metric that's going to help you move the needle. Yeah. So are you a fan of all of the the bits and pieces that we have now, all the tech that we have sam to help us track and monitor?
Speaker 2: And I love it?
Speaker 1: What's your What do you use? What do you use?
Speaker 3: So I use like for workouts to me, yeah, yeah, to track your stuff? Yeah, So for workouts, I use this Apple ladder so it's got different workouts.
Speaker 2: But what I like about it is it tracks to your.
Speaker 3: One rep maxes, and so when I'm lifting, I can obviously track where I'm going. I can see what I need to do to obviously progress. But even when I take a bit of a regression or I'm stagnant again.
Speaker 2: It's still feedback.
Speaker 3: And it also makes me realize I'm not going completely to the beginning. And I think for some of these exercises, I can literally like heavy, let's just say on hip thrust, but even doing body weight ones just seems like they're so.
Speaker 2: Hard, And so for me going out.
Speaker 3: This can still be hard and I can still lift heavy when I track it. Without tracking, how would you know you're making progress? And how would you know what you are capable of if you're not measuring it. So I absolutely love it, and obviously I've got my watch where I do my ten k steps. But yeah, I'm all for technology in that way to give us data. And it also takes some of the emotion out of it as well, in like we can get really stuck in our own heads about like nothing's changing and nothing's working or whatever. But once you've got data, you're like it gives me something to work with. If it's not working, what can I tweak and try again. It's like that researcher and me that I think it's really helpful.
Speaker 1: I was going to say exactly what you just said, Like I have always been somewhat emotional about my body, you know, body morphia, eating, if not eating disorder, very close disordered eating at the very least. And when I track stuff, where you go like you've like, this is this data is not an opinion. This is not a feeling. You know, this is not a story. This is literally just evidence. This is just data that oh you were here and now you're there. So even though you think you're shit, you're not shit. You're actually improving. And I think that it's like that more rational voice, whether it's coming from another human or through an app or some kind of tracking whatever tool, that that objective data rather than my subjective story about me, that gives me. That gives me a lot of kind of I guess perspective that I wouldn't have and.
Speaker 3: Do you reckon that's then attributed to the progress.
Speaker 2: That you make right in terms of your fitness.
Speaker 3: Like imagine if you just went with that voice, and you would just stuck with only that inner talk, like you would probably feel like you're going around in circles without having any other data one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And you think about the fact that you can't be objective about you because you're you, you know, and we tend to not everyone, but we tend to err on the side of negativity. You know, where, yeah we are, And you know, then how do you know? Like I've done talks that I thought were not terrible but not good, Like I gave myself a six, and people have come up and been like, dude, that's the best thing I've ever seen. And I'm like, I wasn't even having a good day, you know. Or maybe I did have a good day, but I was just feeling shit about myself. But it's to have that healthy objectivity or perspective where you're empowering yourself, not disempowering yourself with negative self talk and self sabotage and emotional bullshit. It's way easier said than done, it is, but I.
Speaker 2: Feel like it gives you something to work with.
Speaker 3: See when you have the data, even if something's not working, you're like, Okay, this is what I've been doing and this is what the data shows. What can I tweet to and then try again for the next couple of weeks. When you're stuck in your own head with yourself talk, it all just ends up with I'm horrible, it's not working. This is just me and there's like nothing to work with. So yeah, I like getting other I think inputs.
Speaker 1: In I think one hundred percent. And also there I'm digressing a little bit and I'm talking about training and exercise here everyone. So if that bores you, see tomorrow. But like, the thing is that if you look around the gym, you'll see a lot of people in the gym who do what they enjoy rather than what's necessarily effective. Right, So, so, oh, I do this because I like this. I don't do that because I hate that. Well, what if that's the thing. What if that thing you hate is the thing that's going to move the needle for you. You know, It's like, I guess an obvious one is how many And of course this is not everyone, but there's a huge percentage of well a very reasonable percentage of men that train their upper bodies disproportionately by a mile to their legs. I'm like, it's half your body, bro, and yeah, yeah, yeah, And it's like, by the way, you know your biceps, you train them four times a week, they're fucking four inches long that you know they don't need. And every time you do a back movement or a pulling movement, you're training your biceps anyway. And so people tend to be very repetitive and very emotionally driven even with exercise, even when they know that the thing that would move the needle or create the most value for them is something else, just because they don't enjoy that.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I actually had this conversation this morning with the exercise video. So I've been training for quite a while weight training, and I've been feeling like I'm just not getting as like I'm getting quite stagnant with my training and things are just feeling tighter. And so I went to her. It was my first session, and I was just asking me what I was doing. And I was obviously talking to her, and she's like, Okay, you seem to know what you're doing, you'd be doing it for a while.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what I can add to this. What are you hoping to get? And I was like, I want to know where my.
Speaker 3: Gap are in my weak spots, because I'm obviously not seeing like I'm missing something here.
Speaker 2: So she got me to do some.
Speaker 3: Basic exercises that I can actually do weighted quite heavy.
Speaker 2: And when I was doing it and just like, okay, you know.
Speaker 3: You're arching your back, well, I noticed it was heavier and I'm not obviously doing the exercise properly, and she's like, it's almost like you need to go back to basics. And that was really helpful because see, this is what she gave me. She gave me that extent or opinion, right, but also I'm thinking, I'm right up here and I'm trying to push through, but in actual fact, I need to do things I don't enjoy as much, which.
Speaker 2: Is doing the body weight exercises.
Speaker 3: Even though I can do it weighted heavier, I actually need to go back to basics.
Speaker 2: And focus on that muscle mind connection.
Speaker 3: And that was really useful because it made me realize I'm one of those people that you talk about where I'm in the gym and I'm like slop this out for this, and I'll do this and I'll do that, and I'm not doing things that I need to do that are probably going to actually get my strength up in a round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're not. You're common in that sense, and so I'm probably to an extent. But you know, if we're and I know we've got to wind up, Tiff, don't worry. I'll see you at the gym. Tif's like, I got to be at the gym soon. Well, I'm training you, so you don't have to be. That's and I'm still fucking here, so relaxed. All the others can wait either going to say yeah. It's like when we talk about well, I just want to be generally all round more functional, and I want to look good of course. But then you go, okay, well, let's break down what fitness is, oh will, fitness is a bunch of shit. It's not strength, and it's not cardio, and it's not muscular endurance or aerobic endurance, and it's not flexibility, and it's not power, and it's not speed, and it's not balance, and it's not spatial awareness and it's all of it. It's all of it. You know. It's like, am I strong? Am I flexible? Can I run up a hill? Can I you know, pickture something up off the ground is my lower back? Okay, you know what's my resting heart rate?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: There are so many things that a lot of people train. TIFFs or not in this that's for sure, But a lot of people train very one dimensionally. They do a huge amount of strength training. Now, if you want to be a bodybuilder or a strength athlete, that's not terrible. I guess if you want to be an athlete, you need to do more. But if you just want to be somebody who's aging in a healthy way and you're all around level of bodily function, all of it is improving, then you need to stretch, Then you need to do some cardio, Then you need to probably chuck in some strength training. Then you need to do maybe some muscular endurance training. Then you maybe need to do a little of balance, depending on how old you are. I spoke to a lady yesterday who's eighty one, and she asked me for one tip, And I said, do you drive the dishes? She said, yes, like old fashioned no dish dryer. I said, so when you drive the dishes, stand on one foot, and when you lose balance then and on the other foot, and so for as long as it takes you to dry the dishes. And she's reasonably functional, so this is not a dangerous thing. But you know, and just that little thing where well, what's relevant for an old person? Balance is hugely relevant and having some hip stability and some lower body and upper body strength, you know. So I gave the three or four little things to do, and one of them was just the dish drying thing, and she's like.
Speaker 3: Into each other, right, you want to get you weights, You want her to be stable on her feet. And I think that's where we can look at it in a simplistic way. I want to get stronger, lift more heavier weights. And what I realized this morning, it was like, what about my sleep? What about my nutrition? What about my boonability? It all feeds into it. So in actual fact, to get stronger, you need to do all these other things as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's like, what about my upper body? And I said what it was? I don't have shed upper body, but that's what she was talking about. And so I we're in the cafe, so we look like idiots. So I took her to the wall all of the cafe, and I put her hands on the wall and I walked her feet back out a little bit. So she was maybe eighteen inches or four hundred and fifty mili away from the wall, and she did push ups against the wall. Now, obviously the percentage of your body weight that you're lifting is low, but if she weighed sixty, she's probably moving ten kilos. And I said, as you get stronger, you know, I just gave her a cup, you know, put your feet away a little bit further, take your hands down a bit lower. And when that's easy, then just instead of doing two seconds per rep, take four seconds slower right down. So there's all of these things that she can do at home without weights, just by using whatever she has at her disposal that can move the needle. But you need to think about what you need, like what your body needs. And then how do we get here from talking about the brain. But anyway, Sam, it's always it's too quick today. But anyway, how do people find you and follow.
Speaker 3: You on Instagram at dot Sam Casey or at my website on www dot dotor Samksey dot com.
Speaker 1: Thanks for chatting with us, Thank you, Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: In session. I'm a bit jealous. I wish I was there.
Speaker 1: You just need to travel across the nuther Boar and I'll charge you a very reasonable fee and you know, if something opens up, you know you can come in. It could be a six month wait. But congratulations on your six out of ten talk. I'm sure it was an eight, but yeah, say goodbye fair But for the minute, Thanks Sam, Thanks Tiv, thank you, thank you. That seemed to go very quick. Yeah, so well done you and I'll see in a bit.
Speaker 2: Yep, sounds good. Enjoy your gym session. I am actually jealous.
Speaker 1: Well, when you finally get to Melbourne, I'll train you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I want to hold you to that one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Everyone else fucking trains with us, don't they tip. It's a cast of thousands, have a rotating We have a rotating crew. They mainly come. They come for Tiff, stay for me, all right, See see at the gym, Tiff. See Sam,