Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Separate Bathrooms. We would like to acknowledge the Gadigal people of the e Or nation, the traditional custodians of this land, and pay our respects to the elders, both past and present.
Speaker 2: My name's Cam Daddo, Mali Daddo.
Speaker 1: How are you, honey?
Speaker 2: Very good? Thank you.
Speaker 1: Haven't we had such a fantastic year this year on Separate Bathrooms. We've had some incredible guests and couples sharing this stories.
Speaker 3: I know, we've had a really varied list of people this year, which has been so exciting, and we've been so privileged to hear many wonderful, heartwarming stories of relationships from all kinds, and some of the most gripping and vulnerable moments I think have really come from those in the queer and lgbt QIA communities.
Speaker 2: We've had some rippers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and well, let's go straight to the heart of it.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I know you're going our own son. What we thought we'd do today is relive and celebrate some of our favorite moments of the year on Separate Bathrooms from all the queer voices that we've had on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and here's one it's our first in the lineup that we just was. It was just hilarious the retelling of the proposal between Reyes Nicholson and Kyron Wheatley.
Speaker 1: Whilst it wasn't one of the most romantic ways to propose, it certainly make for a great story.
Speaker 5: Have a listen.
Speaker 1: Now you guys got married last year?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and September finally congratulations, Yeah, give me great stuff.
Speaker 7: It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Was there a proposal?
Speaker 5: Take us through that and who proposed multiple.
Speaker 6: It's a bone of contention within our relationship. Really, I mean, I've made it that way.
Speaker 8: Do you mean to tell my version of the story and then you can?
Speaker 7: Reese's version of this story is stand up so.
Speaker 9: You'll get Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 10: I'm buying a ticket.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I actually don't remember how the stand up used to go, But essentially what happened was we went to a friend's wedding after we'd been together for quite a while, but not like maybe five years, so many of maybe.
Speaker 2: Five or six.
Speaker 7: Marriage wasn't legal at the time for us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, gay marriage wasn't wasn't legal in it right, But we'd gone to a friend's wedding, and it was a pretty like incredible one, one of those ones that you're like, oh, this is what all weddings should be like. And then we foun out how much it cost. It was like, oh God, no wedding should be like this. And Karen was doing breakfast radio at the time and had to be home quite early, so the idea was we'll go to the reception for a little while. And then I just accidentally got like blind on wedding champagnes, just in that kind of you can't count kind of ways where they just keep filling it up and people are doing speech. Yeah, keep filling it up and filling it up. And Karen was not drunk at all, and I was just like making I wasn't a nuisance, but I was just getting getting champagne.
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, But.
Speaker 6: I do remember being and this is not a feeling that I usually have, but like I was quite overwhelmed by like the loveliness of it. Like I'm a pretty cynical person most of the time, but I would say, like this is so beautiful and like this is how and some of our best friends are doing speeches and blah blah blah.
Speaker 8: And I kind of already planned in my head.
Speaker 6: I was like, I think I'm going to propose to Karen, Like this is a few weeks before, and I was trying to think of like a way to do it, and I hadn't organized like a ring or anything. And then Karen like got me home and like with putting me to bed in that way that only I think certain like that kind of like come on, mate, nine nyes down, she.
Speaker 7: Goes shoes off. I think, yeah, that.
Speaker 8: Kind of like you're very not sexy undressing of your partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: And I was just I kept saying this phrase that was like.
Speaker 6: It was just such a good wedding. Wasn't it a good wedding? I just kept like saying over and over it was just a beautiful wedding. And Kara was like trying to go to sleep, and it's like, yeah, it was really great.
Speaker 7: I gotta go to fleet and it's also four am.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've got to be on air in like two hours, and I just had this like epiphany moment whatever a negative epiphany is, and I said.
Speaker 8: Hey, would you it was a good wedding and would you do that also?
Speaker 6: And Karen was like sorry, what and I said would you would you do that also? And he's like and like I remember the lamp going back on and him like sitting up and going, are you are you proposing to me right now?
Speaker 9: And I was like yeah.
Speaker 6: And then I remember him saying, well, if you're going to propose to me, you need if you asked me to marry you need to actually ask me to marry you. And I just said, fine, will you fucking marry me? That was my proposal?
Speaker 7: I said yes, And then I went to work that morning and I was on air with Genfricker at the time on Triple J, and I I knew that when I got home from work, I would have to see if Reese remembered proposing to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I wasn't able to yet tell anyone, share the news with anyone in case I got excitement. Yeah, So I'm just holding that in. And then when I got home, I was like a little budgy like, hello.
Speaker 7: Do you do you remember anything about this morning?
Speaker 8: Do you remember what you actually said?
Speaker 6: So I wear this ring I've always this is like an heirloom, like this was my great grandfather's wedding band. And the way that you asked and I think this is actually quite this is a very youth thing to do, where you were being very careful and you said, you know, after last night, you might need to move that over to the other finger. And if I was to say, I don't know what you're talking about, you could move on from that pretty quickly, I'd imagine. But I had, and I just I could. I had woken up and I remember doing it. But then automatic hangover shame mixed with terrible proposal shame, a toxic cocktail that no, I'm and of burgas can fit.
Speaker 8: But then Kirroen, well, yeah, I did a much better job.
Speaker 7: So then was it the same year?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're talking days, weeks, months apart.
Speaker 11: Yes, Well, I just felt it was unfair. I felt it was unfair that I wasn't allowed to propose now, and I think had like maybe grown up thinking that i'd propose a bit more. Maybe that was just like in my head. And then so I was like, well, screw it, I'm just going to propose back. That was a bad proposal anyway, So let's do a better one.
Speaker 7: Let's go let's go around again.
Speaker 6: But then I also then by me being as drunk that I was, and you were sober as I was, we weren't really able to, like you know, usually i'd imagine after you get proposed to and you say yes, there's like a kind.
Speaker 9: Of some sort of consummation of that moment. But we didn't.
Speaker 6: It would have been probably laws against Kiren having sex with me in the state.
Speaker 7: That I was in.
Speaker 3: So up next, we've got a really beautiful moment between father and son, Richard and Christian Welkins. I know Richard's a good mate of yours, and no parent obviously likes to see their child bullied. And Richard is such a gorgeous example of how tough it can be for parents to see this sort of behavior aimed at their children, and how he felt about yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So amongst this adversity, Christian was able to thrive in an accepting, an open environment thanks to his his amazing parents and transform into the incredible person that we know Christian Wilkins to be today.
Speaker 3: So true, So do have a listen to this one, Christian. You have been so beautiful and vulnerable and open about being bullied in your earlier years. And I know again you know, talking about when someone that you love is being attacked in some way. I guess the question for you is, actually, Richard, how was that? Did you know that that was happening? And how did you feel?
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't so aware of him being bullied at school, like physically bullied. I remember coming home from work one day when he was there and telling him about an article in the paper about him being the spoilt little whatever who'd gone along to a function that I was hosting, the Mother of All Boars, with Brian Brown and Rachel Watt and their kids, and one of the gospel columnists wrote this hideous article and it broke my heart, and I didn't want him to hear about it from anybody else. So, sitting on the end of his bed, I was disgusted by that, because that really is bullying, public.
Speaker 2: Bullying and picking on children.
Speaker 4: So how did you? How did you do that? What did you say to Christian? In that moment? I started from telling him about it.
Speaker 5: I'm telling I'm sorry, there's a horrible piece in the paper today, but I want to tell you about it. Do you want me to read it to you or you just want to ignore? I can't even remember where we went from them, but you know, I don't think you read it to me. I don't know if I needed to be read it. Well, whatever I think I read it, I wanted you to be aware. Yeah, so that's pretty awful. You hate seeing you know, people you love, you know, child or anybody being treated badly. It's just as simple as that. And for a person to attack a kid in such a public forum, I think I just hated them pretty much. But I wasn't aware of what was going on at school. I think he pretty much kept that to yourself, didn't you know.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I told mum, because I guess teachers knew. I think it's just I think it's sometimes easy to actually forget how far we've come in quite a short period of time. You know, I'm only twenty nine, and sure we have lots of representation and diversity now, and it's you know, people are very encouraging and they're very aware of the language that they use. But still, when I was in you know, year three or four, I remember girls to see me and telling me that I was gay. And you know, that's an age that I knew that I was different, but I didn't necessarily know why I was different, and it's definitely far beyond any sort of sexual feelings develop and you know, it's still being pointed out that you are different because of this thing. It's it definitely that planted a seed for a while, you know, and it's kind of plants that seed of you're wrong for this reason and that's a bad thing. And I think that that kind of often develops in a lot of queer people to be a sort of self hating thing because that's what they're told as kids.
Speaker 4: And how do you think you've evolved that or how did you evolve that?
Speaker 1: Because clearly that's you don't seem to lack confidence or value in yourself.
Speaker 12: I definitely think a large part of it is my family and my parents. You know, they always very much encouraged me to be whoever I wanted to be. The conversation was always very open. I never needed to come out, I never needed there was never this streep until proven otherwise kind of mentality. And because they gave me space to sort of explore who I was, and small things like dyeing my hair and wearing different clothes and stuff like that without question or judgment, kind of allowed me to resettle my feelings and kind of discover who I was. And I'm forever very grateful for that.
Speaker 5: We just let him be who he is and what a great result.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, that's right. We talk a lot about our son, and very similar. Mind you, he's a he's a he's a beefcake now, you know, in his shorts and T shirts.
Speaker 2: Loves them. But when he was a little.
Speaker 3: Boy, like he just really loved to wear women's his sister's clothing, and was if it was Halloween, it was Lady Gaga, it was the good Witch of the North, like he always chose to character of the West.
Speaker 5: He did hang out, all loved him.
Speaker 2: He's awesome.
Speaker 3: What I remember so vividly is, you know, someone asked him he had this big twirly skirt that he loved to wear, and someone said, why why are you wearing that? Reven, He goes, because it just feels so good on my legs, and I went, yeah, like that makes so much sense to me, Like why can't he wear this?
Speaker 9: You know, not that he didn't.
Speaker 3: We never ever ever said no to any of that. And you know, and my mum and dad God loved them. They just thought it was delightful and you know, they take him shopping at the costume store and it was straight to the princess, to.
Speaker 10: The princess outfit.
Speaker 3: Fell's outfit Yeah, just better like it was just yeah, And I think that's really to hear.
Speaker 5: Well, he have a tutu that he was very fond of age.
Speaker 2: Are the best to dress.
Speaker 5: Up in the scotsmen have been doing it for centuries, Yes, and they're.
Speaker 2: As sexy as helen those kil.
Speaker 1: Next up, we have International Drag Superstar and two times run a Round two Dimes runner up on RuPaul's Drag Race, Hannah Conda, Anna Conder.
Speaker 3: She is one special person. This one pretty much had you on the verge of tears, Honey. In fact, I think it had its both on the a verge of tears.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was that moment where I read the excerpt or the quote that was online from his dad and it was basically a letter or about his son, how he felt about his son, and it just touched me because father sons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course acceptance.
Speaker 1: That still touches me when I think about it, because it's so important that we one acknowledge our children but also speak of them in that way. I mean, I think our words are so powerful. I think they're like spells. And he cast a gorgeous spell.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did.
Speaker 3: And Hannah Conder is is the person that she is today because of the way you know, they were raised, and just it had us all feeling so emotional. And she's so proud of her father and her whole family.
Speaker 1: So all right, let's just jump straight into it before it gets me going again.
Speaker 10: We have a quote here from your dad.
Speaker 13: Oh yes, and I love this and.
Speaker 3: It was in a response to a really shitty article and hateful woman I remember her.
Speaker 8: Do you want to read it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh, of it.
Speaker 2: It's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Because this is going to I think because we have a son, River who who's been dressing in well he hasn't, he hasn't kept up kept up with her, but he certainly for all of his boyhood he dressed as princesses and loves and so I think this is going to he me. So I don't know if I can read it, because I haven't ready it.
Speaker 4: No, I'm going to take a big deep breath. Okay, why not? Okay, Yeah, this is.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: My son is Hannaconda, a drag queen and a very good one. At that he is a beautiful human being who has dedicated much of his life to his craft, his family, and above all, his community. I too, will do whatever it takes political posting mama to protect my children.
Speaker 9: But my job as a.
Speaker 1: Parent is to give them a good grounding in their life and to be supportive of their endeavors, to lead by example guide them to becoming good citizens in our wider community. I have seen firsthand and way too often, the terrible sadness that exists with young people who are not accepted by their own families because they are merely gay. If you really want to make a difference in the world we live in, start by being a nice person.
Speaker 13: Oh that's your dad.
Speaker 2: That's your dad.
Speaker 13: Your dad, he is he is like he I have said it before. He's my like he is my my, my hero. Both my mum and my dad are very very called the New Age. We we'd like when we grew up. We did like reiki, we did hands on healing. As a family. You know, we've always been like like things were going wrong with like mental health or whatever.
Speaker 8: We'd be like.
Speaker 13: Therapy was a big thing too. We're a very open family. We talk about a lot of stuff. And I think that sometimes gets Jack a little bit because I'm a talker, I'm an open book and we and like our family is very very open and like Jack sometimes goes, oh my god, you know, this is a lot of feelings.
Speaker 2: He's also British also.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they're very reserved and they don't really do that. But my dad, he he is just an example of somebody that don't. You can't understand how anybody could not love their child for for who they are, Like they take us where where they guide us and that and that's the fundamental lesson he's always taught us, is that we just we pay our taxes and we be good people.
Speaker 9: Like that is it?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 13: He said you could have nothing, but as long as you smile and be a good person, that's all I want from my children.
Speaker 9: And I think that's a really important lesson.
Speaker 13: And somethingbody else is there, you know, like people want to work and be around nice people and that are easy to easy to be around. And my dad is definitely that person. He's Yeah, he's a superhero, he really is. When he wrote that as well, like it just I didn't know he was doing that, and oh I just melted my heart, like because I was. I wasn't because in Dragon over the years, there's been so many things during us, but we get a thick skin, like we're very thick skin. So even though that, you know, because I was getting death threats, I was getting all these horrible things sent to me, and I just didn't let it face me because you just carry on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: But my dad he was like, no, I'm not standing for this because he has seen when he's come to the bars, how many kids deserted by their family and they become like surrogate parents and they sit there and they talk and then they have all these like you know, kids all around them, just sitting and enjoying and they love it. There's a photo of them that goes on their on their TV at home with them and they're like, oh, there are our leather daddy friends that they met. There's just these old older couple that live in Sydney and there there the leather daddies. We love our leather daddy friends. Yeah, but they just you know, nothing face And I feel like that's very similar to the two of you. It's like, I think your essence is very much the same as what my parents are and you know, you just take people where they're at and just yeah, you know who's just being a good person And you both do that, and I feel like along with my mom.
Speaker 10: And I loved that already.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they're funny.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 10: If I had to choose a favorite.
Speaker 3: Episode, would you, I'm going to have to choose this one.
Speaker 1: I got a text message from someone who I don't know very well, was a neighbor, yeah, saying that she listened to this.
Speaker 4: Episode and how much it touched her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she I mean, she was like, I knew people were nice, but I had no idea of what the conversations are like inside your home. She walks past the home every day with dog, and it was just such a delightful text to receive about this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we of course are talking about the first time ever we had our very own son, riv riverd River Dado on the podcast.
Speaker 1: We spoke about a lot of hilarious life moments and some of you is most challenging, and the one that where we're living today involved all of us Dados.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, for any person who is gay and coming out, if we use that word, it's a very raw or it can be a very raw and vulnerable experience, even though it should just it should just be nothing. It should just be who they are and fully accepted.
Speaker 2: You know. It's it's enough that we have to sort of out.
Speaker 3: People or make a big deal of people being gay. It's just who you love is who you love. And that's something that we've always talked about with our kids. But you know, society reaped its way with even Riv And yeah.
Speaker 1: He talks about that without further ado.
Speaker 4: This is our son River.
Speaker 1: So you said between eight and nine that you kind of had that recognition with yourself that you weren't into girls.
Speaker 5: It took a little.
Speaker 1: While longer than that for you to come out. Yeah, and when you came out to us, there were a lot of tears for you.
Speaker 9: I didn't you asked me, Yeah, you asked me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how was that for you that time, that moment, although that leading up to that, and how was it through that and how did you feel once the cat was out of the bags?
Speaker 9: Weird?
Speaker 14: It was weird because I felt like, you have like this and it wasn't even that like I didn't think you guys were going to accept it or anything like that. It just I just didn't feel like ready, Like I was like, I don't really want I don't know how to have this conversation.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know how to like initiate it.
Speaker 14: I think so probably it was a good thing that you guys did ask, because it probably would have taken a lot longer for me to say anything anyways.
Speaker 9: But yeah, no, that day was that was a crap day. That was a bad day.
Speaker 14: Because like, yeah, I remember, I'd like, you didn't like the group of friends that I was with. They knew i'd come out to them, and then you guys they'd set me up on the apps.
Speaker 9: And then I remember.
Speaker 14: That the apps was connected to my old iPad that I'd given to body and Bodie was getting messages and it was just like it was it was.
Speaker 9: It was a messy, messy day.
Speaker 14: I remember we were I was supposed to have dinner with those group of friends and I we were on a walking down the street and Dad's car pulls up when I was like, oh, I was like, Dad, you're early, and he's like, no, I'm here to pick you up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, silence on.
Speaker 14: The way home. And then it wasn't until later on that you kind of said that you knew everything and asked me, and yeah, I remember crying. I think I said sorry, I said sorry to you guys, I apologize, So that was probably, yeah, a little bit of shame hidden hidden down in there for sure, Yeah, because I don't know why else I would have apologized for it. But you feel, you feel so much better once you once you actually come out.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, there was so much around that time, like there was a lot of there was a lot of hiding of other things that was happening. Yeah, so we were really like, what is happening to rib like, and it was yeah, that group of friends that were kind of a new group of friends were just getting into some stuff that was really illegal and like not great, and that was what we were concerned with. And then that question just came out and it was it was it was heartbreaking to hear your apology. It still breaks my heart that there was that you still that you felt the need to say sorry, because that was something that I felt like I'd really wanted you to know that, And even just the fact that we asked you, Like some days I just go there was no need to come out, there's no need to ask the question you know, we just wondered if there was something connected to that that was causing the distress in your life, because you hadn't sort of said, look, yeah I am gay.
Speaker 10: So that was why that question came out.
Speaker 2: The way it did.
Speaker 10: But I know, like, I feel like a lot of.
Speaker 3: Things changed after that. I feel like it did kind of really break the tension. You sort of got back with your old friends and sort of Yeah, there was like this sort of ease after that from our perspective anyway.
Speaker 14: Yeah, definitely, yeah, Yeah, for sure, I think that that definitely happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 9: When I told you, you were like, oh, we've known since you were too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was what I Yeah, yeah, yeah, well we thought we knew.
Speaker 4: For me, there was a question. Then for me there was a bit of like because.
Speaker 1: I you know, I've tried so hard to get you in too Bury for the Motive Bombers.
Speaker 4: And be.
Speaker 1: Part of footy and stuff and to find ways to connect with you and whether that be as we you know, cooking or the doll dressmaking or whatever it was that all those things that you were you were into.
Speaker 4: And the question I would say.
Speaker 9: Wonder if he's he gay?
Speaker 1: Is he not gay and all, and I Mum and I would talk about it, and then it became it doesn't matter, does it matter if he is or not? And then I remember Lotus came to me, uh, probably maybe a year or so before you'd finally come out, and she said, Dad, she goes, he's not gay. Ah, he's not gay. And I said, well, what do you mean he's not gay? She said, well, he left his diary or you know, in my room, and I read it, and the stuff that he's writing about.
Speaker 14: He's not.
Speaker 9: She read it.
Speaker 14: She was young too, well, she knew better than to read someone's diary. Well wherever it will just say she knew about her. I'm going to text her after this.
Speaker 10: That's true you talking about that.
Speaker 5: I am true. I am sure about it.
Speaker 1: But she said maybe maybe you didn't read though.
Speaker 4: She just said what I read.
Speaker 1: What he wrote about so and so, huh, and whether it was maybe I'm elaborating on the diary issue.
Speaker 14: She's still a sneak, but that's fine.
Speaker 1: Alrighty well, this is our final moment we wanted to share with you today. It comes from one of our most enjoyable laugh Field interviews.
Speaker 5: Of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember having a sore face after this one from laughing so much. Anthony Coleia and Tim Campbell had us in fits of laughter from the moment there in the studio, and when we asked them if they liked karaoke, they followed up the question with a really hilarious tale.
Speaker 1: What does being a dolphin trainer and singing karaoke have in common?
Speaker 4: Well, you're about to find out.
Speaker 2: Take a listen karaoke. Are you into karaoke?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 9: I sake?
Speaker 5: I hate it in Australia.
Speaker 1: What I do like though, Why why Australia is because you're well known.
Speaker 15: Well, I just like to have a bit of fun, especially when we go to La and I used to do this quite a bit, Like there used to be this bar up the road and like they used to have like a drink tab on off, you know if you won the competition for like three hundred bucks or something. And I'm just like okay. So we went with a few friends and I like to make up names, so I'm usually Adam and I'm a dolphin trainer from the Gold Coast. Tim Trevor, he works for his parents building company. And then another friend, she works in Charity, and she like, I just make up all these stories and then we're all singers, and so we get up and kill yeah, and then I do this whole thing.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, I'm so embarrassed, blah blah.
Speaker 15: My go to is always Richard Marx right here waiting, and I literally add every single ad lib that I can. And then this is the thing that I realized very quickly when you rock up to a very serious karaoke competition, is that they don't like you if you come across like you're a professional singer and you get death eyes. And so I literally got disqualified.
Speaker 5: From karaoke in La at a gay.
Speaker 10: Bite because you were too good.
Speaker 5: Yeah I do.
Speaker 15: I do like the story all the time. I'm always like, you know, Adam a dolphin trainer from the Gold Coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, I got disqualified mud wrestling in Los Angeles because I was too good at wrestling.
Speaker 2: They free me out.
Speaker 10: That is an actual true story.
Speaker 7: Hilarious.
Speaker 5: I like to do more about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 10: He was also wrestling a woman in a bikini.
Speaker 9: Heaven.
Speaker 4: You're smash.
Speaker 5: You and us go to very different bars.
Speaker 4: Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: That's the I mean, we had a lot of queer voices on separate bathrooms this year, and it was really difficult to choose, so we did our best. If you want to go back and revisit other episodes, please feel free listen to the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Going to go back and listen to the whole thing because all of them are delightful. We really enjoyed talking to everyone that we mentioned today.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking, it's it's a really good beach podcast listening. If you're lying on the on the sand, enjoying the enjoying the sun and the.
Speaker 4: Sand, you know, well, we'll catch up with the next.
Speaker 1: Time on separate bathrooms.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, mm hmm.