Speaker 1: Lucky.
Speaker 2: It's lucky dip time. It's Mail and Monty thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Not doing so great on the not singing.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what I was thinking? What was that dog food ad? Was it lucky dog Lucky? I should have sung that. Anyway, it is Mela Monte. Everyone, thank you for joining us, new listeners, thanks for tuning in. This is your bite sized nugget. This is one where maybe you're in the supermarket and you just need to get through the fluorescent lights and the annoying people just staring in front of you. Is there anything worse when somebody's in front of you and you're like, oh, excuse me, and you just get past them to grab the crumpets? Also, how long since you've had a crumpet?
Speaker 1: Oh? Probably a few weeks ago. Mark brought crumpets. Brought, Yes, crumpets.
Speaker 2: I always get confused if it's bought or brought. But he brought or brought crumpets.
Speaker 1: Well, he brought them home from the shop, but he bought them with the money. Right.
Speaker 2: What did you have on it?
Speaker 1: Jam? Oh?
Speaker 2: Lots of butter?
Speaker 1: First, No, I'm not I'm not like on toast. I have butter, but it's like the conversation around the peanut butter and butter. I would never put butter before peanut butter.
Speaker 2: That is raw dogging a crumpet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like they're so dry, so dry peanut butter. And also crumpets are exclusively sweet to me, like Mark has them with butter and vegmite. Yeah, I would have that doesn't go to me.
Speaker 2: No, anything goes on a crumpet, veggiemite and cheese, jam, honey, peanut butter. Oh I love a crumpet.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I'll tell you what I love. I mean that's wrong or is it?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 1: I have such a fascinating lucky dip for you today. Now, what I would say about our lucky dips is sometimes they're also like convo starters. Maybe not with a new group of people, but this is going to be one of those things if you don't know. So, if I asked you what you think the top five electronic gadgets that first came out were, yeah, give me one in the top five. You think a toaster, Yes, so the top five were toaster, fan, sewing machine, kettle, that's four right. The fifth, yeah, was the vibrator. Shut up, No, I'm going to tell you the history of the vibrator and you will be fucking flawed. This is unbelievable. I hate okay, okay. So back in the late eighteen hundreds to the early like nineteen.
Speaker 2: Hundred, God, in my head, people back then didn't have sex.
Speaker 1: No, no, hang on, this is it's just extraordinary. Right. Doctors were diagnosing women with what they called hysteria. So if a woman was unhappy with her life because her husband was an asshole, or she was stressed out, she was deemed hysterical. Because women didn't complain or write. I'll give you a list of some of the things that deemed a woman hysterical. You fucking definitely would have been, Oh my god, headache, locked up, headaches, hysterical okay, forgetfulness, irritability, insomnia, writing, cramps, hot flashes, excessive vaginal bleeding, heaviness in the limbs, usage of cause, language, severe cramping, difficulty breathing, desire for literal stimulation, hyper promiscuity, mood, swings, nausea, anxiety, drowsiness, loss of appetite, aging, wow, back pain, swollen feet, cancer, organ failure, endometriosis, heart disease, epileptic fits, and you know, things things that people would now call symptoms of depressions, chizophrenia, and other psychological disorders.
Speaker 2: Majority of those symptoms sounded perimanopause, metopause automatic they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know they would be that husband might say, my wife is just not wanting to cook dinner anymore, something's wrong with her. God, no, this is the unbelievable thing. So this group of physicians decided that the way that they would treat hysteria in women was to get them to lay down on the examination table and I'm just going to come out and say it so like it's going to be graphic, like, yeah, the doctor would rub the woman's clip until she had this strange release of that well, this is what they called it. They called it hysterical paroxism at the time.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 1: This is the mind blowing part. So they thought that was it because she felt great afterwards.
Speaker 2: My god.
Speaker 1: Back then they believed that a woman only got sexual pleasure from inside her vagina, which is why they really looked down on the use of speculums and whatever, like when you get perhaps with me, they put that thing in and open, and they had no idea that the clitorist was even anything. So when they were doing this, they didn't even see it as a sexual thing.
Speaker 2: They thought it was like, oh my god, we have it.
Speaker 1: It was like rubbing your elbow what So anyway, it became very hard on the doctors because you know, it was really they were getting sore arms and risked hard because imagine the lineup of stair coin women wanted to.
Speaker 2: Start just inventing the hysteria just because they Betty told them, oh my god, you'd.
Speaker 1: Be rocking up like fifteen minutes early for your appointment. I have to go to the doctor. I have to go every week anyway. But it became too hard work for the doctors because you know they'll get an RSI. Of course, I'm having to rub one out for these women all the time, which is why the first iteration of a vibrator was like a mechanical device, like on a table. So they wanted they wanted something that the woman could take home and use on her own clip to get that release, which is what we now call an orgasm.
Speaker 2: So I wonder if like it was known like to the kids and everything, mummies hysterical. I need to go and put this machine on my clitoris.
Speaker 1: Imagine that. Well, there probably wasn't even a name for it back then.
Speaker 2: For the glus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it probably wasn't even And also it's because I think the clitoris is like the only part of when I say the body, I mean male and female human body that is there for no other reason than pleasure. Like there is no purpose, CRUs, it serves no purpose. And I'm like, well that's probably. But well when I say it serves no purpose, biologically, it makes sex more pleasurable for most women, so it makes them want it, which then you know, I guess in crazy the chances of having babies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the human body is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Like can you believe listen to this, this last thing. I have to tell you, it's unbelievable to me. In nineteen fifty two, the term hysteria was officially removed from the DSM, which is the big book of you know, psychological disorders.
Speaker 2: DSM is all medical issues, DSM five is what doctors use.
Speaker 1: I always thought it was just I thought it was a psychological I don't know, you diagnostics and statistical Yeah, you know, you could be right.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't know, but As of two thy and nineteen, which is very recent, very recent, medical professionals were no longer allowed to use the word hysterical paroxism to describe the relief of tension through external genital manipulation. They had to start referring to it as orgasm. And I'm like, who in fucking twenty nineteen we're still calling it that? Who had their head buried in the sand and still thought, Oh, that's.
Speaker 2: What we'll call it. That's it. Yeah, Yeah, Susan, I know that you can barely function. You just need a good wink.
Speaker 1: You know what. She probably does need a she frankly does.
Speaker 2: On top of medication and meditation and all of that stuff. It's just I know, for you it probably fixes everything.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't. fIF Nothing fixes everything, But I do think it's like anything else in life that gives you some sort of pleasure. Then, like, do you know most of most of life's pretty unpleasurable.
Speaker 2: Got and investigate that area, I know, back in the eighteen hundreds. Just visualize a doctor pounding it. Yeah, unbelievable, It's really unbelievable. I just love when you were thinking, I've got to come up with a topic for the Lucky episode, I am going to google the history of the vibrator. Your Google history. Oh, I'd be arrested, so I'd be arrested. Whack, I'd be arrested.
Speaker 1: It would be But you know, what is funny to me that, like men, there's this thing about you know, old women are the weaker sex, women are stupid women or whatever, which you'd hope most men don't think now, but that thought of these doctors didn't even equate what they were doing as sexual sexual and the women were probably just laying there going on, I've done this before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what this is when friends at work, I know what this is.
Speaker 1: I know. Wasn't that amazing?
Speaker 2: That's great?
Speaker 1: I thought that was truly fascinating. It was.
Speaker 2: It was really fascinating. You were so right. Thank you for delivering that. Now you're welcome. You're always full of the treats. That is today's Lucky Dip. Everyone give us a rating or a comment wherever you listen to us if you can, or share the podcast with friends. If you know somebody who would like the history of a vibrator, you know, just to copy the link and send it on to them.
Speaker 1: We all know that person.
Speaker 2: Thank you, we'll chat to you soon Bye for now, love you,