Speaker 1: Apodjeke Production. Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Bad Mum?
Speaker 2: Podcast?
Speaker 1: So I was thinking about the other day. We've talked about this as well. We should do like T shirts with slogans for moms, like, for example, why so when you can use a state pler like just like you know how people have like inspirational T shirts really good quotes on we could do some like really shit ones like some of our really.
Speaker 2: Shick Where do people wear these shirts?
Speaker 1: Yours would be like no one remembers second place.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that, Like I genuinely I think that will probably be on my grave.
Speaker 2: No one remembers second place? What are you teaching your kids? But that's okay. I'm all right with it. I'm all about like, yep, this year, I'm turning forty.
Speaker 3: I'm absolutely owning who I am, why I am. There's no holes bar this one. I'm going straight in. So, yes, I am a competitive parent. Yeah, I'm not competitive with my kids. Well, I'm just competitive on the sideline of watching my kids, Like if I know that they can do better, maybe I'll just push a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but didn't you tell a story once though about how you were on I think it was like some outdoor exercise activity, like you know, the outdoor exercise.
Speaker 2: Things in parks and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wasn't it some kind of obstacle course that you did, but then you wanted to win?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, of course, Yeah, yeah that was me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably with Elsie when you start to like look at your kids and you go, wow, that traits definitely from me. Elsie definitely has probably taken a non majority of my competitive traits. And then if we're doing it together, it's all on her and I Gracie will like hahha competitive competitive, I'll try, but if you start to beat her, she's like just falls apart. You're the bad person. You tried, too hot, yo, like all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So I go, nah, I'm not interested.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna let them win kind of a no.
Speaker 3: Not when it comes to physical activity, when it becomes like a card game which I can't stand.
Speaker 2: I always lose. Yeah, Okay, they're quite good at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're fine with that, Fine with that, Just on that real quickly. This is not to do with parenting. But when I first met Jay, don't know why, we were playing monopoly, but we were playing Monopoly and I was winning, and when I went to the toilet, he packed the game up.
Speaker 4: And that's where love starts from.
Speaker 1: Am I a bad mum for saying do as I say, not as I do? This is a really bad parenting moment, Like I definitely behaved in a way.
Speaker 2: That I wasn't proud of.
Speaker 1: We talked about the cyclone in Brisbane and the fact that I was supposed to go to Fiji and canceled, and I actually had to cancel as soon as I kind of realized that the girl's plans were canceled. So they had a school thing on. They were supposed to be going on this like school trip and that was canceled, and I was like, oh shit. And we booked Fiji because we knew the girls were going to be away and taken care of, And so as soon as that happened, it was like, Okay, that's canceled. So the reason for us going in the first place was now not.
Speaker 2: As it was.
Speaker 1: I then didn't really want the stress of leaving them home by themselves whilst we were on holiday, I mean also during at oh so during a cyclone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the biggest thing, was a big part.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I forgot about the care of the kids, and it genuinely was leaving them in a cyclone potentially without power. Was my main.
Speaker 3: Concern when you think about it now, like just imagine right, because we did talk about this on a podcast, was the fact that imagine if you did go. I think the flights were still going, weren't they anyway, But imagine if you did go, you got out, you got Fiji and it all unraveled as it did. Girls are at home and that ceiling just starts belting out water. Yeah, like you would have been losing it. You've been losing your mind. You would have been like, I got to get home, I've got to like to do it all. So luckily you went with it and you were like, no, we're not going.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I made the call and so here's what we did. It was a little complicated, but we were able to book the trip with points right. So the flights were going to be flying from Brisbane to Fiji Quantus and then fly from Fiji back to Brisbane virgin Yeah, because we used up.
Speaker 2: Points that we have sites both sides. Now, I was.
Speaker 1: Able to cancel my Quantus flight and that was fine. I was also able to cancel my Virgin flight. However, Virgin, we're charging a cancelation fee, which I think was something like seventeen thousand points. I've got no idea what that is in money, Like, I've got no idea what that equates to. It was seventeen thousand points to cancel. Now at the time on the phone, I was like, yeah, okay, whatever, like I have to cancel these flights.
Speaker 2: I can't go.
Speaker 1: Then literally the next day, Virgin canceled all of their flights and nobody has to pay cancelation fees. So I was like, oh, well, that's not fair. I've just had to pay a cancelation fee. And so I'm on the phone. Now, I'm on the phone rate to this offshore person at Velocity for.
Speaker 2: An hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Now, in this time I have started the conversation really quite nicely. Okay, thanks so much for your help. Just explain the situation. I was charged to cancelation fee. No one else has been charged to cancelation fee. She's arguing with me about the fact that I agreed to the cancelation fee and that I canceled the flights before they canceled the flights, which was correct.
Speaker 2: However, I still.
Speaker 1: Felt like it wasn't fair because you canceled those flights. And actually what happened is the Quantus flight going from Brisbane to Fiji was canceled. And so my argument was I was never going to get back because I couldn't get to Fiji. So I was never going to be able to get on your flight home. My flight out there was canceled, So what did you want me to do? The more and more I was trying to reason with her and get her under stand, the more she was telling me no, the more angry I was getting, and I was getting worked up, and it was getting late, and then I had kids there, going where's dinner? And then I had like all this and I was like, I've just spent all of the time on the phone. I am not getting off this phone call. I ended up saying to her rage, I was like, put your manager on. I spoke to this manager. My flight to Fiji was canceled. There was no way of me getting on that flight from Fiji back to Brisbane because I never got to Fiji unless I swam out there, I was never going to be able to get on that fly back. I got so mad and my kids are there and they're hearing me get mad, and I'm shouting at this room.
Speaker 2: I'm shouting at her. You're not listening to me.
Speaker 1: Jay's turned around and went, Katie, stop shouting at her. They record the calls. I don't care if they record the calls. She went, okay, Ma'm like, I'm wearing I'm being not a nice person.
Speaker 2: I'm not not me I wanted to be.
Speaker 1: I was not being.
Speaker 2: Myself, and you were displaying this to your children. I was displaying this to my children.
Speaker 1: I was showing them exactly what not to be and what not to do, exactly what I tell them not to do. Be kind to people. You don't know what's going on for them in their lives. You know, she's probably working for five dollars an.
Speaker 2: Hour much she's seventeen thousand points. Didn't she did, didn't deserve me and what I was saying. I was so mad.
Speaker 1: And then she eventually came back, good news on this occasion, we've agreed to refund your cancelation fee. I instantly switch rage. I instantly went, thank you so much for your help. I'm really sorry for shouting at you. I was just so frustrated.
Speaker 2: She was like, that's okay, okay, I understand.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to help you, it was kind of out of my hands. I was like, I understand.
Speaker 2: I hope you have a lovely recip you day like this. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: If I was that lady on the other end of the line, I would have felt like going, oh, fuck you.
Speaker 2: You did not care about how I felt.
Speaker 3: But it's good that they gave it back to you, because I actually didn't think that was where the story was going to end.
Speaker 1: And then I got off the phone and both girls look at me and they go, what about all that stuff you tell us about being kind and treating people with respect.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh damn it, Oh, can we start from tomorrow.