Speaker 1: Hi, my Boris and this is straight talk Cody Simpson. Well, and straight talk.
Speaker 2: Swimming was the first thing I remember being good at.
Speaker 3: The coaches and the people that I had there, really believed by it would be able to go all the way with it. But at the same time I was loving music and practicing guitar, and so I had these sort of dual interests. And then I cut swimming short because I was given a massive opportunity to young age to pursue music. I started traveling and touring by myself from sixteen.
Speaker 2: It did wonders for me as a musician.
Speaker 3: But you start going out to clubs because they're letting you in, you know, drinking and drugs, and that's a serious level of freedom for a kid that age.
Speaker 1: That's a time of mistake.
Speaker 3: Statement they did happen?
Speaker 4: Did you ever get like chronically close to stuffing things up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, a few times it was sliding and what pulls you back swimming to save my life in a sense when I left entertainment to go stare at the black line again, having gone from doing nothing to that in nine months time, it was a lot of vomiting in that period. I said I'm going to go for it, because if I don't, it's going to be too late. You know, I'm going to live with those what ifs, you.
Speaker 4: Know, if you've got your now partner, Emma, Yeah, two great athletes. I'm just sort of imagining the genetics.
Speaker 3: Coach is waiting for.
Speaker 1: Like you said, Cody Simpson, straight talk, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Hey, going you have on all? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And how are you feeling now.
Speaker 4: That you were at the Olympics that you weren't competing. But you're at the Olympics and you come back from from France. You probably stopped training after the Colf Games, after the trial.
Speaker 3: Tries this year, about two months ago, three months ago.
Speaker 1: Now have you been have you done any training?
Speaker 3: Oh, Jim and just I built such good habits over the last three or four years that, you know, it was it felt strange to just stop entirely. So, you know, I'm still sort of regularly exercising in that but thing like I was, it's not as acting a lot of a lot more sleep ins.
Speaker 1: I guess it's probably fair to start off because a lot of people don't know how it all works.
Speaker 4: So what's the routine look like for someone who's preparing for Olympic trials.
Speaker 1: Then let's let's go back. Let's go back Comic games. Yep, you did very well, thank you very very well.
Speaker 4: And and then then you just hear that, well, you know, I'm one of the contenders. I'm going to I want to go. I want to make sure I go to the limbus in Paris. I've got to get to these times, you know, you know what the times are. When do you start training, you have a break after come games, or you just get straight back in the pool.
Speaker 2: No, not really, like you you.
Speaker 3: Swimming is one of those really unforgiving sports where if you take more than we're probably allowed two maybe three weeks a year of not.
Speaker 2: Training, and that means seven days a week or six days a week. Sundays are always off.
Speaker 3: But if you're doing it right by Sunday, you're begging for You're begging for that Sunday to go, and you kind of need to then be doing very very little on that Sunday to kind of be ready to go again on that Monday morning, because that Monday morning through Saturday is pretty nasty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we just give me a bit of a taste of this. So we're talking about during the build up of just getting kilometers under belts?
Speaker 1: Is that a thing? Still? You still got to get a k's under belt in.
Speaker 3: A sense like you want to build. It's probably less vital for a sprinter, you know, one hundred meters and down, but still even for one hundred meters and aerobic a good solid aerobic base and a solid cardiovascular system is very important when it comes to being able to withstand the training required. Even when you're doing sort of the more lack take producing work or your sprint work and stuff. You want to be able to move oxygen through your body pretty pretty efficiently, and the aerobic stuff can help support that. So I still did a lot of a lot of aerobic slash distance swimming.
Speaker 1: As Cody fifteen hundred nah.
Speaker 3: But maybe you know fifteen one hundreds on time or whatever. You're like things like that. A lot of kick a lot of.
Speaker 1: Pool just explain what there is kicking you mean to actually to kickboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so just sort of legs on their own pools, you know, with the pool wary and maybe some paddles, arms on your own, so you're sort of building up your upper body as well. Yeah, a little band on the feet to stop your kicking. We sometimes you know, do a little you know cheat one here and there, but yeah, it's it's it's just really nily regiment for your average sort of not average, you're for your typical elite swimmer or competitive swimmer. At this age, it's kind of you don't really have time for anything else. And I had to make that sacrifice in my life if I was going to be doing this again full time, where I had to sort of give up my the life that I was living at least back in Los Angeles when I left left entertainment to go stare at the Black Line again morning and night.
Speaker 1: Totally different life discipline, that's.
Speaker 3: For sure, polarizing, lifestylestly different going to sleep at five am versus getting up at five am.
Speaker 4: Because I just want to just get into the woods a little bit on in terms of the training thing, because most people don't have any idea. I'm lucky because I had a kid who did it, so yeah, I sort of I was one of the dads that had get up at four o'clock every and taking the swimming training, and then then again in the afternoon like it, and then and then Saturday, then there was, and usually there.
Speaker 1: Was after squad there was racing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got a carnival or something something.
Speaker 1: There's always a carnival, especially in the summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the worst time because you have I don't know why they held them in January, February, March, April.
Speaker 1: That's usual.
Speaker 2: Through the day you're sitting under the tent and.
Speaker 4: I was on holidays, and your your you and your family and I'll come back to your family, your sex. But so just give me a typical morning if you can remember a typical week. So let's say Monday up at four thirty, what time you jump in the pool and we're talking about where were you training?
Speaker 3: Southport? Well, I was training the cost Yeah. Fortunately it wasn't four thirty. It was more like five point fifteen, which was good. We didn't have to be in the water till six. But Monday was always a really big day because we did two full swim sessions and await session in between.
Speaker 1: What's a full swim session?
Speaker 3: Look? For me, it was standard five pretty much five kilometers, sometimes it's tad less, sometimes a tad more.
Speaker 2: Average of five k and that'll be morning and afternoon.
Speaker 3: In the morning will be more sort of aerobic zones, some threshold kind of training to sort of dust the coboys out of the day off.
Speaker 1: A pace that when you say zone, you're looking at training at a.
Speaker 2: Pace pace or heart rate zones.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so what we're looking at, we're looking at eighty percent of max heart rate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're pretty much on a Monday morning, we didn't want to be above, say, thirty beats below maximum heart rate. So ifew max is you know, two hundred, you want to you don't want to be above that one seventy two much you often did you.
Speaker 2: Get above that for the whole session?
Speaker 3: My coach off and be like, I want you to hold these times but at this heart rate, and I'm going I'm going to be above. But that's that's what you're working towards, as being able to hold certain times with relative relaxation of heart rate. I suppose relative comfort, and when you're at your fittest you can do that. But that's what you're building towards, I suppose, is being able to withstand that kind of work and find some measure of comfort within the discomfort.
Speaker 4: That's sort of like a baseline training. I mean, that's yeah stuff. Yeah, so you do that five k's in the morning.
Speaker 2: Morning, and you're pretty much straight into about ninety minutes, and.
Speaker 1: So what would do straight off that? Like food wise, a.
Speaker 3: Little snack pretty much like I do. You're pretty much trying to just replenish glucose after that, because you know, fairly drained, so hydration and fueling, So I just have a snack. Sometimes we do a little more of a you'd sort of take half an hour to an hour to have a bit more of a breakfast, and then you go into the gym and do ninety minutes in the gym.
Speaker 4: When are you in your gym when you do leg? I mean, I can't imagine what a swimmer that way. I sort of camp, But what does a swimmer doing in the gym?
Speaker 3: Some fundamental I did three main lifts a week and they were all full body, so upper around lower, and you're doing a few key lifts for the upper and the lower. Mine was like a weighted chin up and either like a front squad or sometimes leg press if my back was bad, but often a front squat. And then you have a lot of other stuff, a lot of shoulder strengthening and strengthen all the little muscles around the shoulder, because shoulders are the first thing to go typically when it comes to injuries for swimmers for over years, yeah, over years, because you're doing you know, tens of thousands of rotations on those shoulders a month, you know. So it was always that, always core, always some sort of functional and connectivity, core connectivity stuff. So that was Monday morning, which pretty much and we'd often be at the pool from six till eleven because between the two hours in the pool nine minutes in the gym, I'd often have a little bit of physio therapy or something afterwards and wouldn't get home till eleven, sometimes eleven thirty, and then you're smashing lunch and trying to lay down for two hours because you're back at We were back at the pool at three for the AVO session, and that would often be a really big Monday IVO would often be my least favorite session of the week. It would be a few k butterfly, which butterflies my stroke. I absolutely loved it, but I hated doing more than you know, a few hundred meters of it or two butterfly.
Speaker 1: You feel like you're pulling a piano on your back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like so you would.
Speaker 1: So, so the morning SESSI would to be freestyle.
Speaker 3: Mostly freestyle, Yeah, sometimes a bit of a little bit of pacing of your stroke. Yeah, often sort of under you know, race speeds. You wouldn't be doing race speeds that morning, but yeah, you'd be doing a little bit of butterfly.
Speaker 4: Sometimes and then your rip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you break up into you know, the medley guys will doing their set. The backstroke has been in their set, the butterflies have been at their set.
Speaker 2: And I was always I was.
Speaker 3: Never a two hundred flyer. I was a bit more of a sprinter. But on the Monday nights my coach had thrown me in with the two hundred guys and be doing a bit more endurance butterfly work, and I absolutely hated it.
Speaker 4: So you would rinch absolutely basically this is a repeat, repeat this every day of the week until maybe Saturday, when you might have done a few bit of racing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So like a Tuesday morning is quite similar, except you don't do gym. We do like a spin bike or like some kind of bodyweight circuit before.
Speaker 2: We get in the water in the morning.
Speaker 3: Well, and then you're kind of doing Tuesday morning doing a bit more all like power stuff in the pool, so you'd be dragging heavy sponges or pulling like buckets with weights in them, that kind of thing, as well as some of the aerobic stuff, so a bit of that, and then Tuesday night it would be like a more of a fast fast session, like more race paced session. So that Monday Tuesday, like you know, even for one hundred meters swim, like we're fitting twenty k into that Monday and Tuesday plus gym and spin bike. So it was pretty buggered by by Wednesday, and.
Speaker 1: Then it starts all over again.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Fortunately we get Wednesdays just the morning, just morning swim and another weights and then Wednesday are was sort of like your recovery window long enough. But yeah, so'd be just relaxing, sleeping, trying to do maybe a little as bath or often just literally sitting on the couch eating food.
Speaker 1: And you're doing this like for months, months, yeah, and there's.
Speaker 3: No so you kind of that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday block is kind of repeated very similarly on that Thursday, Friday, Saturday, right, and then you have the Sunday off and that's that's months on end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and mentally. I mean, how do you It's a.
Speaker 3: Grind man like you, you find, And that's part of the reason I think I was attracted again to swimming at that level. And I built up to that amount of work from doing absolutely nothing in about a period of about nine months, which was a pretty steep on ramp. If you can imagine going from doing very very little to doing you know, being training with you know, Olympians, training with am I, training with other people, and having gone from doing nothing to that in nine months time. It was a lot of vomiting in that period, you know, and just trying to have my body adapt to what it had to try and withstand and my mind.
Speaker 2: I suppose as well. It was a mental and physical game.
Speaker 1: And what did you What things did you notice about your body?
Speaker 4: For example, like I I mean, I don't know, did you drop ten kilos or did you build muscle?
Speaker 2: Now I put on about ten kilos.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, I was quite I was quite quite skinny before I because I didn't do much weights. I didn't do a whole lot of I surfed a bit and I went to the gym, but not with a proper schediment. And you know, I went for runs and stuff. But yeah, it wasn't pushing myself in that sense or trying to build muscle. So I actually probably put on about ten killos and lost a bit of body fat or a fair bit of body fat.
Speaker 1: And what did you know about your mind?
Speaker 4: I mean like, I mean, do you start playing does your brain start playing tricks on you?
Speaker 3: The mental side of it was the most noticeable. The physical changes were just a byproduct of what I was doing. I wasn't going my goal is to you know, build get bigger arms and you know whatever. It was just it just sort of happened because you're doing that much work. But the mental was the decide that I had to battle with most, because you're moving from a life of relative comfort day in and day out to a life of consistent discomfort daily morning and night. Like it's you don't you don't sort of get to And this is something I've had to how to chat with a few other musician buddies of mine that was sort of so curious about what I was doing because I'd gone from this life into this, you know, another one. So if you're just absolutely absolutely exhausted and you got to train again the next morning, you just have to go. I was like, no, yeah, you can't just not show up. You know, there's that's not there's no negotiation, and you learn to not negotiate with yourself as much as your mind wants to negotiate with yourself, because excuses always sound the best to the person making them, you know, so you have to really battle with not listening to the mine as it wants to play tricks on you.
Speaker 4: How important is a coach in that regard then, like, so, I mean, do you not make excuses because you have a coach?
Speaker 1: You just won't cop them? And who was your coach?
Speaker 3: I think that's important. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My coach was a guy named Michael Bowle.
Speaker 3: He is renowned Australian swiming coach, has had success for decades now. Probably what put him when the map on the map was a god named Stephanie Rice. I know, well yeah, she won many gold medals, broke many world records and he has then had podium success with his athletes at every Olympics since then, most recently with Emma and Kaylie McEwen. And he had our group was amazing for a couple of years there. We had in twenty twenty two he had ten, maybe eleven athletes on the team. It was like almost his whole squad was on the Australian team at one stage and that was a really special thing to be a part of that. I always look back on and go I was part of that, that group.
Speaker 1: At that time that would keep you going to I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And you're looking around, you look into your left and looking to your right and just seeing people do this phenomenal things day in and day out, and it just makes you rise to that level goosebumps thinking about it.
Speaker 4: Now, buy motivation or use or is it more competitive thing? I actually want to be load them?
Speaker 3: It was both. Yeah, it's inspired as in, you know, they make me want to be my you know, do and reach my potential because I'm seeing them reach theirs. And also like I want to I want to piece of what they have.
Speaker 4: So so and so you had one coach, just one coach.
Speaker 2: One coach through I had.
Speaker 3: I had one coach in LA when I first started who I was got hooked up with over there, pretty much told him that I was interested in pursuing swimming again. He was a former coach, Australian coach that was coaching in college in the States, and who was a former OLYMPI in himself.
Speaker 2: Brett Hawk.
Speaker 3: Yeah boy, yeah, yeah yeah, I remember. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: He was around where my son was, right, I know the guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So he he ended up becoming a coach and living in the States, and we got connected because he was funny enough doing a podcast, a swimming podcast, and he goes asked me to come on his podcast, and because he knew that I liked swimming and had a background in swimming growing up and was now a musician, he just wanted to talk about that. And I said, well, I'm actually looking at training again. And he thought I was kind of taking the piss, you know, but I convinced him I was serious, and we met up and he kind of tested me out a little bit, and we started during COVID. He started sending me little sessions to do in my little community pool. That was I was hopping the fence because it was shut you know, no lane ropes, no no flags or whatever, no blocks of just twenty five yard pool like in the States, and started doing that and then we got hooked up and he coached me for the first probably nine months, until I moved back to Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and why is it helped me out you But why is it?
Speaker 4: I mean Queensland, particularly that part of Queensland where you were training, the southeast part of queens Why is it we have so many good swimmers from there Australia White I'm talking relative for the rest of the country.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot a lot that aren't from their move there.
Speaker 3: I think it's just because makes sense because one of the programs that are available, like the couple of the best coaches.
Speaker 2: In the world are there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to the weather and being able to train outdoors year round in a fifty meters outdoor pool because we have such good facilities. So I think it's a mix of that. Because a lot of a lot of the guys from Sydney, Melbourne, even like Tazzi and stuff, end up just coming to the squads in Gold Coast and Brizzy.
Speaker 1: I think it was a Queenslander thing there from them.
Speaker 3: Yet out of origin it is. But yeah, we just I think I think it's just the weather and the programs.
Speaker 4: That place attracts the swimmers and the coaches to probably probably because the facilities are pretty good.
Speaker 1: They are the ex Comic Games Yeah, facilities. That's why they're very good.
Speaker 3: Train was at the Gold Coast Games. Yeah, facility they built. Yeah, so your regime is hectic.
Speaker 4: You know, you're building up to get into the to get into Limby Trials. We'll get the trials to go to Limbit Games. You've already done very well in the comic games.
Speaker 1: You're at that age. We're twenty six or so, twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I was twenty five Common Games twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Now, so relatively speaking, compared to some of the other younger people who got like the great respect, they're only late teenages, early twenties, so don't quite have a life yet, you know, I mean since they're nine and they haven't really had a taste of what the world's like out there. You've had a good taste of it, Okay, good taste, you've had well rounded well well, so that process of going and also like your body shape, I mean, how many years age you had off ten.
Speaker 3: Of them didn't touch water really from thirteen to twenty three.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's hectic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that really is.
Speaker 4: Because anyone who knows any about the swimming world or just the world athleticism generally speaking, what you're going to compete against in terms of you know, the tidal wave. You're trying to take on probably other guys in your case who have not stopped swimming since they were eight or nine years of age, swimming at the absolutely level, and like they're all within one hundredth of the second of each other sort of thing, and a lot of training with each other, and they meet each other, you know, they're all at n SWISS or AOS or something like that, one of the one of those equivalents, and they all either train together or they're all meats the whole time. Everybody knows what everyone's like, and their body shape never changes because but.
Speaker 1: Here you are, you haven't for a long time.
Speaker 3: I wasn't quote unquote yeah pop stars, I suppose people that wanted to go to battle with them.
Speaker 4: It was pretty pretty weird though, like I'm on thingsel because that I mean, I don't mean weird in an intellectual sense, I mean like it's a massive call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was scary because there was no there there was no blueprint to what I was trying to do because no one had ever done it before. And so when I talked about it with people, some said it's funny, like everyone that I spoke to that had done something themselves in the sport, and I was fortunate to have mentors in Thorpey Phelps, like all these guys sort of lent their mentorship to me, which was really special, and they also go for it like what do you you know, what do you get to lose kind of thing. But everyone else pretty much thought I was nuts and said, well, why would you leave behind what you've built, you know, in your career to do something that's so so not guaranteed, probably not possible at all, you know. Even their thought of making an Australian team just sounded so far out to them.
Speaker 2: But oddly for me, I had this.
Speaker 3: And almost looking looking in retrospect, it was this naive, almost ignorant self confidence at that time.
Speaker 1: We novity helped sometimes and it.
Speaker 3: Helped me so much because probably because I I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. I didn't realize the odds that were stacked. I didn't acknowledge the odds that were stacked against me based on you know, how it should work in the sport of swimming, when what you should have had to have done from thirteen to twenty three, those ages that I didn't swim in order to get to that elite level, I said, you know, all that stuff, I'm going to go for it because if I don't, it's going to be too late. You know, I'm going to live with those what ifs. And all through those years of being a musician, there was this little spark in me that never died about the sport because I competed at quite a high level for my age at that stage, and the coaches and the people that I had there really believed in me then as though I would be able to go all the way with it, and then I cut it short because I was given a massive opportunity to a young age to pursue music, and I pursued that and sort of didn't look back until I got a little older and I thought, if I did want to swim again, like, I'm going to have to do it soon. And it was this spark and turned into this flame that just sort of grew into something that I couldn't ignore and I had to at least at least explore the curiosity I had for it.
Speaker 1: So it was just a curiosity. It sounds like it was all I was more than that. It must be much more that. Yeah, I mean, do you remember the time it was?
Speaker 3: It was a dream? It was it was a dream that I like, I love the sports so much. I'd watch I'd watch videos of the Aussie guys in the freestyle relays and just cry, like I'd cry watching them. This was back when I was before I started swimming again. I'd watch these things and that it made me feel ways that I'd never felt or don't get from anything else. And I said, well, I have to follow that and I have to try and pursue that for myself because this this obviously does something for me that nothing else does. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Parents just weren't they Yeah, yeah, it was there something in that that you felt like you needed to, you know, push a little harder on the like the genetic inherence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ah nah, because they, if anything, they almost tried to talk me down from it, because I think they both understood what it takes, because having done with themselves my mum's one for Australia in the eighties, and they they sort of said, well, it's freaking hard, like it's and you're you're living such a good life and you know all those things and do you want to, you know, really do that for no guarantee of success, you know, But when she heard how passionate I was and seemed about it, she then didn't ask questions again. She supported me. But no, it wasn't It wasn't that I felt I owed them anything. I felt like I owed myself something.
Speaker 4: Was there a moment where you can you think back, was a moment at twenty three.
Speaker 1: Around that time.
Speaker 4: You think you just watched the come with Games, you just watch the Olympic something. I'm trying to do a quick calculation what was on at the time, but maybe the nationals or you watch something in the US that you thought that's it, I'm doing it.
Speaker 3: Yep. It was twenty nineteen World Championships. I watched I watched Caleb Dressel break the men's hundred butterfly world record, which is always my event growing up.
Speaker 1: Butterfly was my favorite stroke, one of the toughest events.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I watched Christophe me Lark break the two hundred men's two hundred butterfly world records. Guys that were both my age and it was the first time I'd had a really visceral, really really intense reaction to watching that, going, why aren't I there? You know, why wasn't Why wasn't I training for the last few years to be there? And I just had this It was, you know, that epiphany type moment of Okay, well I know, I know what I need to do now, and I this is too much for me to ignore anymore, and pretty much started trying to find pools from that stage onwards.
Speaker 1: And and preak COVID.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: It was like the middle of twenty nineteen, and then it wasn't until I didn't swim a whole lot through the rest of that year. I started to kind of pop into USC which had a little program happening, and was jumping into sessions there, but hadn't really swum much. It was I was starting from scratch, and then COVID hit, and then I was hooked up with with Brett Hawk and.
Speaker 2: Express my interest and just pretty much got started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I.
Speaker 4: Could just go back a little bit, like when you're a young fellah maybe nine, ten, eleven, twelve, and you're work swimming, it's a pretty typical thing. I presume you were training in Queensland, but It's a pretty typical thing in Australia for a lot of families put the kids in the pools, particularly Queens, because yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Got to learn a swim, safety factors, Yeah, you've got to learn a swim.
Speaker 4: And then they go, well, the kids got to do a sport or some type, like he's not bad at swim, I'll just put him in a little training squad and or her put him in the training squad, and then the training the whole lot of kids become friends.
Speaker 1: You get a bit of a system, and the parents get used.
Speaker 4: To the rhythm of it. The next thing you know, there's a little swim meet and.
Speaker 1: Here and say, oh, come on, Cary, let's we're going to go down on Saturday morning there's a race and your first race is on do you ever do you have a recollection of that?
Speaker 3: I remember I remember pretty vividly some of my first competitions. It was probably it was probably eight or nine, because swimming was the first thing I remember remember being good at.
Speaker 2: I think it was I was probably eight on.
Speaker 3: It was this local competition and I broke like all the local records for that eight you know, nine years old. Yeah, it doesn't mean much. But I was going to you know, I have a natural feel for this. I you know, I'm good at this. This is something I can work with. You know, even at that age, you sort of you recognize that and you get that little hit of you know, feeling good about yourself kind of thing.
Speaker 4: And then your parents put you in the nippers because you go to events and you win that too, because some of the kids are good at the beach on the run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so DoD nippers and I was, yeah, I started I winning the you know, the ocean swims.
Speaker 1: You think it was back back, around, back, out and around the boy and back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I said, okay, well, well this is good. And I was shocking it. I was wildly uncoordinated at landsports.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It wasn't interested either. Like I didn't played a bit of rugby at school, but never really liked it that much. Got asked to leave the local soccer team so they could make room for someone else because I just stand around, you know, looking at the sky, you know, singing, humming little songs.
Speaker 1: And humming the water to yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's funny. Back in the day, I used to I started writing songs about that. Age too, really ten years old. Yeah, and I used to come up with these little ideas and I'd asked my coach if I could get out and write that. Used keep a little notebook in my bag and I'd ask my coach if I could get out and write down.
Speaker 1: In an instrument as well. Yeah, learned guitar.
Speaker 3: It was already playing guitar at that age, taking lessons and that was sort of my primary hobby outside of swimming. I was swimming. Started training at that age nine and ten. You start to do a few more sessions a week and get really into it. And that was sort of my first year. I did the School Nationals that's the combined and I think that was the That was probably the first time I said I'm into this because I yeah, you go through like you do your you get top to at your school, you go into your district and then top to you go into your region and then State and then you get to the Australian School Nationals whatever. And I think I I won every event there at the age of ten. I think it was like eight. I would say, it's not a cocky thing, it's just yeah, yeah, I won like eight gold medals when I was ten.
Speaker 1: That's enough Australian, that's enough to motivate you to get back in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I was going, okay, well, you know, I think I still have eleven year old's Australian record for the fifty fly or something. It's hilarious, still still standing. So it was pretty I was good then when I was young, and but at the same time I was I was loving music and practicing guitar and doing all that, and so I had these sort of dual interests that I juggled, I suppose.
Speaker 4: And when did you find that, we don't want to find out about the music side of things. When did you find that music was going to take over from the swimming like and how did you become How did you realize you're good at music or that you had a tune or a sound that people want to listen to.
Speaker 3: I started I saw kids were posting themselves singing on online YouTube. YouTube and MySpace was spending at the time, and that was that had a real big music component.
Speaker 1: So how did you see it like your parents say, hey mate, have it check this out.
Speaker 3: No, it was just just me like being twelve years old, you know, going on the computer, I suppose, and I saw that. I saw that this was a thing that was happening. It was a new this was a new medium that was popular. People were able to just upload their own stuff and share themselves playing. It totally democratized, you know, the music industry in a sense. And I asked Mom to film me because I said, oh, these kids, you know, people are watching these kids videos, and it seems like a fun thing to do. It was totally a very low expectation thing. It was just sounded like a fun hobby. And I enjoyed kind of singing and playing guitar in front of the camera. Both.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was uploading some of my own stuff to MySpace, just for little audio recordings and just covers on YouTube and me singing like Jason Maraz and Justin Timberlake and you know, did a bit of Johnny Cash.
Speaker 2: I got like through the country back then.
Speaker 3: It was funny looking back now as a twelve year old me, you know, doing those songs. But they garnered some attention quite fast, and I was getting a fair amount of viewership.
Speaker 4: What does that mean when you say you're back in that period, what did you look at you say, a thousand people look at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like a thousand, and then it was ten thousand, and then it was sort of fifty, and then it was sort of one hundred thousand. Okay, well this is more than just you know, our friends, Like, this is more than just our friends, and you know the Golcos community. It's not this has gone.
Speaker 1: Well, how did you know that when you're a kid, So you got.
Speaker 3: To get comments from well, we'd had a little desktop in our living room kind of thing, and we'd go on and you'd see someone's commented from Canada or you know, from Argentina or going, I like this, And and then started getting messages from producers and record labels, yeah, going would you would you consider us flying you over to cut a demo? And blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: And at first we kind of my mom thought it was pedophile.
Speaker 1: Media.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's going, now, we're not going to respond to those, and you know, people were following up with us, and we started to I said, when I was really keen to entertain it if they were real, you know, and I saw that there were young people getting signed, and you know, there was it was not just sort of the Disney route anymore. There was, you know, kids were getting signed to labels off their music and videos and fan base and that alone that they'd grown. Justin Bieber had just gotten signed and blew up, and so that whole thing became you know, I think labels and that was sort.
Speaker 2: Of looking for more of those kids.
Speaker 1: Do you think they're looking for a blonde, heir rossie kid like you.
Speaker 3: Know, I don't know if they if they weren't.
Speaker 4: Did you come across as out there or it was you could have been, you could have been from anywhere?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 3: No, I think I came. I came across as a bit of a young, blondhaired guitar playing. I was a kid kind of thing, you know, And that's that's sort of at least once I got signed and started, that's kind of what they in a way, you know. And I was flowing out of the States. I did my first trip to New York City when I was It was on my thirteenth birthday, because I remember I had a meeting at Warner Brothers in Manhattan on my thirteenth birthday.
Speaker 1: Thirteen year old boy meeting Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in one of music.
Speaker 3: I was in their office all day started with the low you know, the low level sort of executive and ended up at you know, at closing hour in the President's office, singing and playing guitar for him with the mum my dad, my dad took me over and again still I'm so thankful that they were even considered doing that for me, because I I was, I was ambitious young and I sort of said, off, you're not going to take me. I'm wn ago, you know, I want to go over there and see what this is all about. And I was always driven from a young age and whatever it was I was doing, and so when I saw that that was a possibility, I said, I want to do that, you know, and they fortunately listened and were great. Grace was sort of generous enough to help me, help me pursue it.
Speaker 4: But that's pretty pretty foreign though, like a three year old kid gets signed up music. Yeah, and I guess money is it.
Speaker 3: Was kind of unheard of as well, you know, in the it's it's such a rare thing to occur, Like I don't know how many Australians that's happened to in the past, And so we didn't know what we were in uncharted territory.
Speaker 1: So what happens, You just we'll go home and have a family meeting.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, we went home and they've they've got my damn, they've recorded me a bit. Well, we went back after the first trip, and then about six months later they flew us back over to cut cut demos and stuff. There was a producer there that was cutting demos with me that was one of the ones who discovered me originally. And then they sort of said, well, if you want to do this for really, you're going to have to relocate because they'd offered me a substantial record deal at I was probably almost fourteen by this stage, and they said, well, if you want to do this properly, we need you to be based in LA And again it was one of those things that I said, my parents will if you're not going to come on going, I major of the Yeah, yeah, so that's what that's what we did.
Speaker 1: So there's a big deal for the whole family.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Dad gave up his work at the time, and I had a young two younger siblings, and I think they thought it would be a six twelve month adventure. I don't think they expected it. I don't think anyone expected it to sort of take off the way it did.
Speaker 1: At that statue you had your voice broken.
Speaker 3: No, I was going I went through. And it's funny now because I look back at recorded music from me from recently, the last couple of years, all the way back to thirty first at thirteen fourteen, and you know I sound tiny like a little boy. Yeah, yeah, a little wit.
Speaker 4: You had a sort of quite a cute melodic sound to you, like, you know, it was like a boy sound though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah it was. And I was I was, you know, pre pre prevestent.
Speaker 4: And how important was that to the the record labels, et cetera. I mean were they because there must have been a period where you started to be a voice would break. Yeah, and you get to study, get nervous or does anyone say saying, mate, you're not the same deal anymore?
Speaker 3: Well? Nah, they And they were good at sort of because they knew it was going to happen, and they were good at coaching me and working me through that. I had vocal coach, a vocal coach, and it was it was a big focus as I started to go through that fifteen sixteen years old, was to kind of make sure it was somewhat seamless, I suppose, but yeah, I had voice cracks on stage and all the you know, the whole ninees, Like I had to go through all that in front of thousands of people, you know, all the time. So that was kind of it was a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, if we were talking about the intensity of swimming, but if I if we go back and look at the coaching for music or singing and instrumentality, the two things you were doing, like playing and singing at the same time, whilst one is a totally different discipline. Was there what parallels could you.
Speaker 4: Draw though from what you learned as a thirteen year old, forty year old, fIF year olds, et cetera. Having to compete with a pretty crowded market, a global market actually in terms of being your records being sold or your usually being sold.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you reckon you the parallels.
Speaker 2: Are I was never scared to put the time.
Speaker 4: In, so there is a lot of time required. Yeah, yeah, Like give me an example of that.
Speaker 2: Well, I had to.
Speaker 3: I was still developing my craft at that age and I still am. But I I at that stage was like figuring it out as I went, you know, and figuring it out in front of people. So still I was still learning to play my instrument well at that age, and I was still learning how to sing and project and do all these things. So I was in you know, almost what you'd call like performance coaching, how to hold and carry yourself on stage. I was just doing a bit of dancing choreography. It was when I was younger, So it was learning that stuff, learning how to do videos, like, learning how to yeah, participate, learning how to sit into an interview. Yeah, you know, I went through media media training, I guess at that age, learning how to.
Speaker 2: Learning how to be.
Speaker 3: On stage, learning how to be in front of people, an audience an audience, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Managing an audience is.
Speaker 3: Exactly yeah, And that's an art form in itself, is managing an audience. So I sort of had to figure all that out over those years that I was doing.
Speaker 4: It was a coach to you, though, do they did someone sit down and say okay?
Speaker 2: Partially and past and a lot of it was experienced. You just have to learn it out walking.
Speaker 3: Into the fire. And that's what it was for me in swimming too in a way, because I had a coach, but it was you got to figure things out for yourself as well. There's no there's no better coach than than than you at times.
Speaker 4: How you feel in the water, yeah, how the water feels with your body shape exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that that's purely instinctual. That can't be taught. It has to be felt and experienced. And especially in butterfly, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a flow thing.
Speaker 3: It's such a finicky combination of power and flow.
Speaker 1: Crazy little details though, like because if.
Speaker 3: The picture of your pinky and your hand, and you know the shape of your sort of elbow and whether you can kind of carry you know, find viscosity and find fine shape within something fluid it's like a very and you're breathing strange thing. Yeah, and you're.
Speaker 1: Breathing yeah, especially when you start to get a bit tight.
Speaker 3: Tired, keeping your head flat. Like I said that, it's a chain reaction of your hip staying high enough in the water. And there's a whole technical side to it.
Speaker 4: So the same would have applied to music though, absolutely, Walking on the stage, engaging in the audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watching words, watching videos back going Okay, I can't do that anymore. That looks all would you know? All that stuff? And I always enjoyed and have always enjoyed the working at something and then feeling the progress of it and getting better at it, like and I swimming taught me that from a young age, and so it was a nice skill or it was a nice thing to have going forward that I understood the work to progress rule. You know that you have to put that time in and you have to get uncomfortable before you're going to be comfortable. Would you?
Speaker 1: Would you say that?
Speaker 4: You say, Cody is a person who is quite has quite a strong kinesthetic power, like within your gut, like you can feel things, you know, like you it's something that's important to you.
Speaker 3: A nice way to put it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've never really because I think swimming.
Speaker 4: Swimming is a lot about that, because you've got to know yourself. Yeah, and you've got to know how to just be able to pace yourself one hundred butterfly.
Speaker 1: You have to be hyper aware of your body, hyper aware and funny, I feel the same every day.
Speaker 4: So today I'm going to be HyperWare how I am today, I'm going to compete. I'm going to be HyperWare today. I'm not feeling the same as it was yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I want to win. Yeah, and when you are HyperWare, you you feel those those minuscule shifts and changes in how you're feeling. So that's and.
Speaker 4: That's quite a kinesthetic power. That's a power that you develop over time. Yeah, I suppose so, knowing every little change at the margin.
Speaker 3: And I when I was growing up and I'm still somewhat this way I was growing I grew up a massive hypochondriac because I felt things in my body.
Speaker 2: That probably helps very very much.
Speaker 3: From a young age, I'd make my mum take me to get routine blood tests because I was like, I think I've got something wrong with me, you know, because I just felt things everywhere.
Speaker 1: All that might not have been a hypochondriac.
Speaker 4: That might not be a manic maniacal type thing in your brain as a as a mental health thing, but maybe it was just more you are very aware.
Speaker 1: Of how you feel. Yeah, yeah, probably more so than anybody else.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it's like to be anyone else, so I don't know, but I I knew that I was always hyper aware of how I felt, and that did that was a curse in some sense, because when I was younger, I used to worry about that and go, I think there's things wrong with me because I feel changes and blah blah blah. So I wasn't sure that's calmed down as I've aged, but it was a blessing in the water.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and probably in new music too.
Speaker 2: And it's been a blessing, yeah, in my music as well.
Speaker 3: I think, what about school? What did you do?
Speaker 4: Is what happened to school during all this period when you're up there training for the stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I I went to school on the Gold Coast till I went through grade eight yep. And then we moved to the US, so I part of my contract was that the and I think it was probably a legal thing then to the record label had to pay for my.
Speaker 1: Tutoring homeschool, homeschool school.
Speaker 3: So I did nine to twelve homeschooled through a US curriculum over there, and graduated through a US high school that I never went to or visited.
Speaker 1: But you're still homeschooled, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I had a teacher on the road.
Speaker 3: Through tours and of course travel I had to they had to have someone with me.
Speaker 4: So when you he's a kid from Queensland, I mean as you said, probably people ever done this. I don't know any if anybody's ever done it. But you sit back today and you think of the mission that you and your family's on, and all your support group, everybody music teachers, guitar coach, blah blah blah, someone's engaging in the audience.
Speaker 1: You've got a book a venue. I mean there's a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tudor there were more than I knew at that time. You know, my family would tried to sort of sheldy a bit, Yeah, and made an effort of keeping tried to keep a level of normalcy amidst the chaos, which was at times impossible, but they tried. But yeah, it was. There was a lot happening.
Speaker 1: Did you think about it? You think, my god, that was like that was mad.
Speaker 3: When I look back now, Yeah, I was. I was fifteen, doing three cities a day in a van, visiting radio stations and doing shopping, more concerts, and it was mad to think about, you know, three cities in Connecticut in one day.
Speaker 1: You know, you would regret I don't mean I don't I'm not trying to pull it. No, it wouldn't be anything. You go, shit, I wish I hadn't done it or that was a pain the ass.
Speaker 3: No, And I say no because it taught me so much. So at times I wish I didn't have to grow up as quickly as I did.
Speaker 4: How do you mean you to grow it quickly because you got exposed at things you wouldn't been exposed on the Gold Coast for example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had to. I had to.
Speaker 3: I had to carry myself in an adult world from the age of fourteen. So you're sort of forced to learn how to carry yourself that in that world and sit in meetings and do all these things that you you don't have to do any most you know you don't have to do when you're fourteen.
Speaker 1: Is that like a loss of innocence?
Speaker 4: I don't mean in the I don't mean the normal sense of loss of innocence, but I mean just acting like an adult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose so, But I I was, I believe, quite mature from a young age in that sense anyway. So I was. I was. I didn't feel strange to me. I was ready to do it. I wanted to do it.
Speaker 1: There's no force, nah, nothing, no, And.
Speaker 3: I was down to I was down for the grant of it. I was excited about jumping in that van and doing three gigs in a day, and you know, visiting radio stations and performing like I loved being busy, and I loved that because I've always loved the feeling of forward momentum, and that felt exciting. It felt like I was going someplace.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, like your ambition for a young kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crazy, Yeah it was. And it was very self driven, like I even though I was on this rollercoaster, this train that just took off and didn't stop, I still felt somewhat in control from that age.
Speaker 2: And when I started not to feel in.
Speaker 3: Control, I sort of took back control, which is a whole other story about I left my record label at eighteen I think it was, and went independent and sort of built a new team that at that age and sort of shifted musical direction a little bit. But I've always liked to and have felt in control of my story in my life.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been out of control? Then? I mean that industry generally speaking.
Speaker 3: You know, it's pretty they can get pretty mad, yeah, And that's there was a dark side to it all as well, you know, as as sort of fun and fast paced and glamorous as I am making it sound, there was a dark side to it all.
Speaker 1: What is what is that?
Speaker 3: Which was?
Speaker 2: Having that level of.
Speaker 3: Freedom at that age is probably not the healthiest thing, being able to sort of go and do whatever whatever you want from an age where you don't know what you want or what's good for you. So, you know, starting to I lived on my you know, I bought my first place in la and lived on my own from seventeen, started traveling and touring actually on your own, Yeah, on my own? Yeah, I had I had a I had a sort of a tour manager who was this young guy that I became really good mates with that was that sort of had to spend most of the time with me because we were always working and traveling. But he ended up living with me for a while. But I was, I wasn't. I was a sense in a sense living on my own. I wasn't living with my family.
Speaker 1: Scared, but Jesus out of me if all as your parents.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did. It's scared. Scared the hell out of my mom. And I started traveling and touring by myself from yeah, sixteen, So I.
Speaker 1: Can imagine what he goes on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you start going out to clubs because they're letting you in, you know, that kind of thing. And that's a serious level of autonomy and freedom for a kid that age.
Speaker 1: That's a time of error to mistakes. Happened.
Speaker 3: They did happen, They did happen.
Speaker 4: Did you ever get like, did you ever get like chronically close to.
Speaker 1: Stuffing things up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, a few times. Yeah, seventeen eighteen, from about seventeen to twenty, i'd call those my sort of.
Speaker 2: Party is.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I suppose you'd say I was still working a lot, and I was still I made a ton of progress as a musician and as a guitarist, like as an instrumentalist in that period because I was so I was loving music and I was practicing and all that. But at the same time I was so, I was exploring a lot, I was finding new styles.
Speaker 2: It did wonders for me as a musician.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I was going out every night, and you know, I had discovered drinking and drugs and all these things that we're just in Hollywood are just successible to you at that age, and you have money and I had money, which doesn't help. And I also didn't I also didn't care to listen to guidance. I was a bit I was going through a rebellious thing because there was a part of me that felt like, well, I've been told what to do for these last few years, you know, in work, I want to make my own decisions.
Speaker 1: Now it's my time.
Speaker 3: But those decisions you make for yourself I always the best. You just think that they're cool or rebellious at that at that age you probably don't care. Really, I didn't give a shit, you know, I said, well, I built all this, I'm going to go do my own thing, and I'm going to leave my label and I'm going to just go and party and put the people around me that are going to enable that behavior. And you know, it's just you get a bit carried away.
Speaker 1: Did your parents put back to Australia.
Speaker 3: They did by the time I was I was nineteen twenty when they moved home. I think they started to feel like they didn't have a whole lot of control of me. At that stage because I was in that period of my life. It almost didn't allow them to. If they tried to, it made matters worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, conflict, I'm sure you can imagine.
Speaker 3: You know, you've had probably those experiences as a father and four sons, so you have to Yeah, I'm sure you know, like it's it's tuning keys parenting.
Speaker 2: I think probably that age.
Speaker 3: I've never been through it, but that's what I imagine, you know, So they had to just sort of do their best to manage it. But there was a couple of years there was sliding. It was sliding and what pulls your back.
Speaker 2: Families won.
Speaker 3: Fortunately they were always there too, sort of far off the track as I a strayed. They were always there to talk to me and catch me and tell me how they felt. And I think that there were many times or if I didn't have them, I probably would have just kept going. They were quick to They were always quick growing up to sort of make sure I didn't get I'll get too big for my boots, because it's very easy to in that scenario, you get a big hit about you because all you're hearing is is good things. And then also in those years was expressing their concern and wanting me to come back down to earth. I guess is a good analogy. I was floating.
Speaker 1: I can imagine I was floating for good three or four years there. But then did swimming have any That's that's number two.
Speaker 3: That that in a sense, the thought and the the idea grew in that period of time through my sort of twenty early twenties, and that almost saved my life in a sense, like it shifted my path for.
Speaker 4: The better, because you can't do you can't leave that Hollywood life, let's call it that.
Speaker 3: No, And there were times it was like the sobering thought was that, Okay, well, I can't keep doing this. I can't if that's what I want to do. I can't be wrecking my body until three am, you know, four times a week. It's not what this is dumb if I want to do that, you know. And that sounded like that sounded like where I needed to go. And it was the shift, certainly was a.
Speaker 1: Voice in your head like it is there some little person in your life?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, when you know, it just says it's the haze was going, hey what are you doing?
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And as I got older, like the first couple of years, it was guilt free. It was like, you know, having fun, not thinking twice about it. And then the voice grew you know, sort of na actually yeah, there was Yeah, which was great then to be able to do it with with that guilt free I feel. But then I got the voice in my head going it was it was. It was a mature voice, amits the immature I was up to, you know, going this is you can't do this much longer.
Speaker 2: Plus you don't remember that you want that.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: That helped me. Swimming helped me come out of that.
Speaker 3: That that that whole I guess.
Speaker 4: So when you say it saved your life, do you mean saved your life as you live it today or.
Speaker 1: Save you Actually?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I if I kept going down that path and didn't have swimming too, I suppose clean me up in a sense, get me healthy, I don't know where things would have gone. So in a way it did literally save my life, but it also save your life. Gave me life in it gave me new life, It gave me, built me these beautiful, healthy habits. It gave me a great partner, It gave me my life in Australia. Again that I didn't feel connected to Australia anymore when I was over there, like that was La was my home. I didn't care to come back here and I didn't come much and so it helped me reconnect with my homeland in a way as.
Speaker 2: Well, and the people here.
Speaker 3: And so having since swum here again and lived here again and been around family and built my base here, like I don't see I don't see myself living or being based anywhere else ever again, like I love it in Australia again, and I'm glad it helped me reclaim that love for where I'm from.
Speaker 4: You and you mentioned earlier, you know, if you've got your partner, Emma, who actually came in here, but I had my headly swung off my shoulders when I walk into the studio. But if you want to just quickly talk about that, because it's it's a talk of the town made two great athletes, you know, everybody's I'm just sort of imagining the genetics, like I said, I mean, there's marriage is sort of a thing that you guys are talking about.
Speaker 3: It's not spoken about, but it's you know, it's going to propose to it now. It's not something we've spoken about, but it's you know, we have something that is beautiful and honest and pure, and it's it's been a real breath of fresh air in my life, certainly you know, I've had I hadn't known more tumultuous relationships in the past, and and it's certainly been something that's given me a sense of calm and stability and that that I certainly needed and wanted. So that along with swimming. And we met through swimming.
Speaker 1: So the same place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's how we met. I could joined the group and so like, who's this And I didn't know who she was or what she had accomplished prior. Yeah, I know now And I've had the chance to see it every day and be inspired by it every day too, because she's you know, she's just a beast, like in training and you know, she's she's sort of this she's so graceful outside of the water and she gets in the water and she can just you know, she just goes and pushes herself and it's amazing, you know. And so to see that and be inspired by that as it's you know, it's an attractive trait in a woman to you know, see see her do that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So can I actually just maybe just on her parents athletes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was her mother father swimmers. Her parents both from for Australia. Was her father Ron mckinn, Ron McCann.
Speaker 1: He swing as my brother.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I remember him really from his sixties.
Speaker 2: Yep, sixties. He's from Maroubra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember him. He was a tall guy.
Speaker 3: He's probably I don't know, he might be six four.
Speaker 1: He was a it was a freestyle I was.
Speaker 3: I recall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in the Olympic final. He was Olympic finalist in.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get this wrong, but it was he went to Moscow and Los Angeles Olympics.
Speaker 4: I remember those. A guy called Max Metzka, and there was Ron mckinn. There's a guy called George of Venados. They were all around, George from Ghannada. I remember these guys because, like, I used to take a lot of interest in swimming in those days. Your brother and and but I remember that these guys are winning the nationals all the time. My brother's like fifty six, but these guys are getting first, second or third all the time. So so amma's father is the Ronald McKean m so like, and your parents are swimmers too, So there's some genetics going on.
Speaker 3: There, dude. Yeah, my dad will do it for Australia. Yeah. Her parents both met through swimming. My parents both met through swimming. That our parents knew each other back in the day because swimming was a small community then, and you know, they were swimming around a similar time. My dad and EM's dad were both at the AS at one stage at the same time. One of them was coaching and one of them was swimming. I don't know who was, but yeah, funny kind of history there with with with connection.
Speaker 4: And in terms of your musical career, do you you write songs now and do you get any inspiration for from your Yeah, I mean sometimes you write. Sometimes there's you sing songs that have the love theme involved in them. Do you get inspiration from your relationship with Emma in.
Speaker 3: Terms of what you write, Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Because there's one song I'm dying to ask you this one. I mean, I got to if you don't mind.
Speaker 4: It's called on My Mind and I just want to ask you about I just want to ask about that song for a second.
Speaker 1: It might have predated and I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether this song was written well, I did a remake of it recently.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about the more recent one, And I want to ask you when you write a song do you write the write it as a piece of poetry first?
Speaker 4: Sometimes sometimes because if I feel like that song was a piece of poetry, I felt like it was written as a piece of poetry. Then you know, which wrote the lyrics about as poetry. Then you added the music to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I'm just imagining things but.
Speaker 2: In different ways. Yeah, and that does.
Speaker 3: It does. I can't remember with that one, to be honest, because originally came out when I was fifteen maybe it was, it was, but I really redid it as a sort of piano piece, not because.
Speaker 4: You were playing that when I when I was watching it. Okay, yeah, so you obviously learned to play the piano as well as a guitar.
Speaker 3: That was me faking it, right. I can't play piano, My god, was trying.
Speaker 2: I was trying, Like, yeah, I was. No, I was playing, but.
Speaker 1: That's it, but you weren't. Sort of not a classic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't play, and that's in the proper sense. But I do write. I like to write poetry and bits of pros and things as well, so like sometimes lyrics come from that.
Speaker 1: And how does it work though?
Speaker 4: Are you sort of like you know, sitting on a train and going through the country and you know you had you know, you're sitting in the carriage where the food's being served, and you're just sitting there by yourself, and you're missing your girl, and you just start writing a.
Speaker 1: Bit of part of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, no, no, And you're romanticizing it. But in a way, that's that's the reality of it.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you're missing somebody or you want to are you thinking about somebody?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What they bring to the let's call it the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those those things inspire me all the time. She inspires me. My I've been writing a lot about what I've been through the last few years as well, so sort of non h I suppose non romantic or non love theme stuff, more say reflective or inspirational. But yeah, I draw from everywhere. And it starts in two ways. It starts either as just words or it starts as And this is more common for me when I'm writing on guitar, just a few chords and a tune.
Speaker 1: I like the sound of that.
Speaker 3: I'll start humming and then like words kind of evolve from from sound, just from humming. That's pretty contubuous in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: You have a piece of are some words and that I'll kind of meld into what, you know, a tune I've got.
Speaker 1: And you have to be in a certain mood to create.
Speaker 3: To be creative, I find I have to have space and solitude.
Speaker 4: Which means space means you need to be being by my way, somewhere on your own, yeah sort of thing for multiple hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's why sometimes I have ideas and get little pieces when I when I'm swimming, because because you've got plenty of space, because you just in even though it's kind of intense, you are in your own world. Yeah, and you're not just you know, there's not a distraction and yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're singing a song in the pool in your head whilst you're going up and down the pool. Is common swimmers. A lot of swimmers do it because otherwise you go nuts.
Speaker 3: So I do it and it helps me get through those long sessions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you're sitting there for you're in the pool, in your head in the water, you can't hear anything, Yeah, except when you turn your head paps and you're you know, the hour and a half session of whatever the case may be, you've got to have something to keep your mind active.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's not just because and you're so well tuned physically, Like if I did that, I wouldn't have any time to think or seeing on it, because I'd be just trying. I'd be just trying to survive the lap or the distance. Whereas you're so physically well tuned that you actually can combine everything. You can sing and you can breathe, and you can you feel your heart rate. You know what your heart rate is pretty much, Yeah, within a couple of beats.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And at times, especially in the easier sessions, like in the recovery sessions or two to three of the of the nine swim sets ayet a week, we're sort of easier recovery based, and there you just sort of fall into that second nature.
Speaker 3: Whether the physical bart's taken care of and your mind's just floating around. And that's when I'd often get a lot of ideas and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, and I mean you can get great ideas.
Speaker 4: And speaking of grand ideas, I'm actually keen to find out what does someone like you do now?
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to say.
Speaker 4: Post swimming career, because you know, all I know you're going to continue on Are you going to continue?
Speaker 3: I should ask the question, are you going to continue? Yeah, as far as I'm a were at the moment within myself, probably not. I'm really excited about other things.
Speaker 4: Again, I want to tell you what the other things are. Yeah, what do I see? You got doctor hydro written on there?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 3: That's the fun I started that while I was swimming with Queensland. Yeah, something I've co founded with a few guys up in Queensland. It's a hydration supplement little tub today.
Speaker 1: Got what Hydration is a big deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's been underplayed for a long time. Yeah, swimming, it was a vital part of my last few years. Let's just talk about that for second. In terms of swimmers, particularly, you're when you're in the open you know, you're an open pool, so you've got the sunshine and all that sort of thing, the elements, and you're in the elements, but you're breathing a lot and you're sort of transpiring.
Speaker 3: You're losing I was also losing a lot more fluid than I than you think because you're in the water. You don't see yourself when you're on for a run. Or in the gym.
Speaker 2: You can see yourself sweat.
Speaker 3: Sweating in the pool like that's happening as well, but it doesn't feel like you are.
Speaker 4: And the breathing too, I mean you breathe a lot when you swim. I mean it's like if you're in the gym, you don't breathe. We knew what you would breathe. You're transpiring, you know, your mouth all.
Speaker 2: The time, the constant just all the time.
Speaker 1: So would you how did you get onto hydration?
Speaker 5: Was that?
Speaker 1: But that's something the medical people at the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I told you to go on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that we did a lot. We do a lot of research around how it affects you, how even the slightest level of dehydration can significantly affect your performance. And so that was stressed. That stressed to us a lot because we have a great in the training group. How we had you know, physiologists and dietitian and all those things there to support.
Speaker 1: Us sports scientists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so the hydration part was huge. And I also did a lot of research into you know, different amino acids and things that could help you know, recovery and vitamins, B vitamins like all the things that you know, support energy systems, and that's kind of what doctor Hydrate is. It's like all of that in one. So as I was like I'm going to have to take bloody five different tablets and do my you.
Speaker 2: Know, hydration, electrolyte powder.
Speaker 3: And you know glued like glutamine for sort of muscle recovery, amino acid type thing, probiotics, and that was sort of the idea around Doctor Hydrate was putting all of that in one.
Speaker 4: So it's not just a hydration, it's not just putting magers a potassum back in the system as a few other things as well.
Speaker 3: No, it's got yeah, it's got B vitamins, probiotics, it's got C minerals like seventy two C mineral, like those miniscule sort of things you don't really get in other ones, like we use like a seaweed extract from the North Atlantic. I think. Yeah, and where do you guys car team glued Tomine Queensland? Wow, straight, Yeah, that's good Queensland. Yeah. So yeah, it's it's like a really nice thing to have been able to be part of developing and it's going amazing in Australia. People everyone the tries, it loves it, and it's it's just started starting to go game busters.
Speaker 1: Because hydration has become a big deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for some reason, I've last I mean, the only time you ever heard about is when you had diarrhea or had gastric problem and your mom would go down to the chemistry, come back with a little packet of stuff. You have two or three of them, and yeah, that was usually how that how we roll with that, although and sometimes my dad used to come up with little salt tablets and give you a salt tablet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sodium is a key, like a key electrolyte, is it in what you're in? Lose a lot in sweat and if you don't have enough in it, you'll be cramping like that in some of the world cauts, you know, we're doing like you need it and it's yeah, it's in. It's one of the electrocics.
Speaker 1: What about something like me, like I'm not train, but I don't train to the level you train, but I train every day.
Speaker 4: But I'm talking a lot. I'm going I'm doing this sort of stuff a lot. I mean, I'm you know, you're perspiring even though you're not doing much. But I'm still perspiring all the time.
Speaker 1: How do you work out?
Speaker 4: How does one know if they're dehydrated or they need hydrationally? Do I get a headache or is there some symptoms apart from cramping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lethargy, feel tired, Yeah, like leather gy, you know, maybe headaches, yeah, general lower energy. Yeah, can be a variety of things. But the electrolytes, it just supports the key key like bodily functions. And it's also like a vitality thing as well, like you kind of feel feel peppier, you feel better because a lot of the water and I didn't really know this before, but a lot of water is sort of stripped of it's dead water, especially like bottled water. Yeah, it's stripped of like the natural minerals from the earth that you'd get when we used to, you know, just drink out of springs and rivers and stuff, you know, before we had all you know what we have in the world now in society. So the water we drink is usually void of all that stuff, and so you have to put it back in.
Speaker 1: At it back in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So and why did you call it doctor hydrate? How to help you get that name registered?
Speaker 3: Like that's a question. Pretty cool, Yeah, it is cool. It felt felt like I felt semi medicinal but also kind of groovy.
Speaker 4: What is it is groovy, but it's it's also semi it is sort of it's actually probably fully medicinal because I think what we're all run off doing protein powders and all that sort of stuff. It's all great, Yeah, but this is a pretty basic thing.
Speaker 1: Hydration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do not drink enough good water. Yeah, no one does. And that's I learned it through assumming. But that's something that I now will take with me into my life even when I'm not, you know, all exercise going forward for general wellbeing. But I'm not going to be doing anywhere near what I was doing, but I'll still be taking hydration in the morning pre post exercise.
Speaker 1: And one other things on now. Apart from that.
Speaker 3: Music music, music, I started to write and record different style to work again, guitar based, so a bit of guitar based stuff. And also I'm really into I'm really into the jazz and blues kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Favorite.
Speaker 3: So I love, I love and drew a lot especially the last few years, a lot of inspiration from a lot of the sort of forties, fifties kind of kroners.
Speaker 2: All those kind of those kind of guys.
Speaker 3: I got up. I got up when I was in Paris actually last month. I was at this like underground jazz bar two in the morning, and I got up and saying the way you look tonight by Sinata with the band up there, and I just it just gave me the bug. In the past, I've done musical theater. I did a show on Broadway in twenty eighteen, wow, And so I'm interested in a bit of that again. I enjoy the stage, acting and performing as well as my own stuff. So I'll be trying to find fun projects to do on stage and with musicals and acting in that. But I'm also looking at writing and recording another record.
Speaker 4: So more is it more of the singing, the jazz territory, and more the instruments. In terms of the blues we're putting yourself, like ket.
Speaker 3: Ill play, I gotta I gotta develop, I suppose the sound for the next, the next thing. But a lot of the guitar style that I'm playing at the moment is blues inspired. And I really enjoy writing my own stuff, but I also really enjoy singing the kind of the jazz standards in that as well. So I'm trying to find a nice, like little blend of how I can do my original thing, but also sort of pay a bit of homage to stars that I love as well.
Speaker 1: I lived in Chicago for a while, worked in Chicago for a while, and there was like, no joke, it was a jazz bar and a jazz band, jazz singers and all musicians on there every night in some barman. Yeah, it was yeah, mental.
Speaker 3: With Chicago and New York just have those that feel yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And I got stuck there.
Speaker 4: I remember once I was due to flat and the and the massive snowstorm happened and work up the mornings like five foot of snow outside hotel. Everything was stopped and I had to stay in Chicago for a full week, had nothing to do, so I couldn't even get to.
Speaker 1: Work to the office.
Speaker 4: So I just I was very close to the all the jazz bars, and every night they plo out like a track from my.
Speaker 1: Hotel, not for me, but for everybody else.
Speaker 4: And I tracked straight to all these bars and every night I went there was so cool.
Speaker 1: It was like the best, yeah, the best.
Speaker 3: I love it's kind of a dying you know, it's kind of a dying dying arcade. I don't know. I think it's just genre wise, it's not as not as popular among young people. There's there's new genres, but it's it's a it's a it's got a feeling that you know, you can't get from anything else that I want to actually got to feel to it in a way keep alive in some sense for for younger people. So that's that's part of my goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you end up getting a record player and you get you put Muddy Waters on the record, and you'll be you'll be playing Muddy Waters.
Speaker 1: Yeah it sounds like yet old.
Speaker 3: I am getting help. Yeah, yeah, I feel it happening in real time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's crazy because you just you know, you just went to the Conmwealth Games and you know you're meddled, and you're going to the you know, you went to the train for the Olympic Trials and you know, like it doesn't you're only twenty seven. It doesn't sound that old, but but in terms of the life you've lived, you are sort of old.
Speaker 1: I don't mean that in a bad.
Speaker 3: Way, No, No, I know what you mean, I've lived two lifetimes or condensed lifetimes, but lifetimes nonetheless.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like seriously, because now you're saying, well, you know, I'm going to move on from that.
Speaker 6: From that swimming thing, an athletic career and the kid riding a bike on music videos, singing while this is going down there in l A and then later on singing to big audiences.
Speaker 4: Need to jazz and blues. You know, next thing, you know, you're going to tell me you're going to get yourself a hard and you're gonna start playing like, you know, you know, real bluesy stuff.
Speaker 3: How cool is that stuff? I love it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I did lessons on it, Like is the hardest thing to do? It's really hard to get that one sound?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, to get that one note.
Speaker 4: Because you keep sort of mixing up all the time. And in the end, I just I was working pretty had so and I giving it up.
Speaker 1: I gave it up, but I might go to it because I just I just love the sound of it. It's good, fine, and it has a feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know if it's nostalgia or if it's what it is, but it's it's a happy, sad.
Speaker 4: But ultimately it's comforting to me. Yeah, but do you feel as though you can't do it properly? Particularly the blues bit. And I often think this to myself. I can't appreciate probably because I've never lived that dirties period when it was sort of introduced to us, the blues, you know, with people very poor, particularly the black people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they used it as an outlet for themselves.
Speaker 3: In a sense. Yeah, Like you know, there's part of that that you're never going to experience firsthand. But I think you can find the spirit of it and try and capture it. If you love the style and you love the feeling of the music, you can try and find the spirit of it and capture it.
Speaker 4: Because I wonder whether you know, people like me, for example, can only ever be an observer as opposed to be a participant, because you're actually trying to become a participant in it. I can observe the feeling, yeah, but I can never claim I can be a participant because I'd feel as though, I mean, I'm not that musical for a start. But and I don't play the instrument like you know, the guitar like you do, And you can play blues guitar, but to really participate in it, you nearly feel like you've got to be like sitting in one of those places, you know, in South South of the United States, where you know the black community was actually singing the blues and playing the blues in order.
Speaker 1: To get that sense of feeling. I mean, you've gone through a lot of stuff in your life, and you've mastered by the way you've mastered so many things. It's mental. If anybody's going to be able to do it, it's you. Do you feel as though you can get that sense of it.
Speaker 4: From Australia or do you feel I think maybe I'm going to go back over there for a bit.
Speaker 3: That's a really good question. I've spent a bit of time in through the South. I've spent a time in Memphis, spent a time in Nashville recording and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, I think that.
Speaker 3: I think i'd like to I'd like to think I can stay here and capture some of it, you know, and have it here. But you know, I do plan on I do plan on being somewhat of a traveler, you know, my future and being able to spend time in different cultures and cities. And that's so I will and want to spend more time in some of those places, the music history type talents, Yeah, just for sake of feeling, feeling that and understanding where you know those A lot of that stuff comes from because even the jazz like even even you know, the big band jazz like that stuff will comes from from there too, comes from America. Is obviously all popular popularized by by you know, the sinatras of the Well, but there's roots to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember, especially jazz big bands like people like her Belt Albert and the Tierwana Brass's music. It's so good, it's so good and and I mean, I don't want to get any private life, but do you think, well, Emma from here on end, at some stage, like if you guys, you know, go the next to the next level, do you think she would be the same sort of person with you like you travel as a fan because your mum and dad did you supported you both, but they supported you, but they're also supporting each other in terms of what they wanted to do for you for their kid.
Speaker 1: And that's a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And and that's that's an important that's an important factor for me going forward is you know, and I know you have those thoughts about well, I'm going to be you know, the father and sort of you know, the patriarch I guess of a unit eventually, you know, And that's that's an exciting idea, Like that's that's also you know, there's pride in that, there's I like that, you know, that idea and being able to do that with with a woman, like it's beautiful and and it's something that I don't want to neglect in you know, my travels and my exploration of you know, music or an art form, right, Like, it's something I want to And we've had that chat, you know about traveling together and you know, her coming along for the ride and some of that stuff.
Speaker 2: And because that's an exciting thing.
Speaker 1: Because it's hard not to be selfish, I mean, to be good at something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to be a bit selfish, you do.
Speaker 4: And to some extent what your you did in terms of your swimming career and your musical career, you were.
Speaker 3: Goal focused and those were selfish pursuits, like I was in a good way a lot for.
Speaker 1: Those yeah, and you had but you had to do to get to where you had to get to.
Speaker 4: There's no the way in terms of living a life, a full life either from now on, either with a part with that party. Again must be selfish, but at the same time we've got to start a compromise a lot. There's a lot of compromise involved in particularly you have kids.
Speaker 3: You have to be considerate, you have to consider other people. A lot of compromise feelings. And he reads you think, yeah, yeah, that's cool, and I think that's part of growing up too. And I you know, you see, I've seen and been around a lot of people, especially in entertainment. It's quite common that you see older people that didn't want to make those compromises, and you get to that age of forty fifty years old and there's something missing there, you know, that's that that sense of family and that part's missing. And I don't want to be one of those those musicians that he's older without that and that sort of didn't didn't consider our priority as that and only was it was strictly selfish.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's for me.
Speaker 3: You know, I had my years of that, and you know, when something means enough to you, and you know, family does and will mean that much to me. It will always be part of part of the picture.
Speaker 4: And do you mind be asking you this as a parent, and I won't ask you to speak for Emma, but as a parent, given your genetics, and let's make an assumption seek assumption that you've got genetics said too, would you encourage your kids to become swimmers?
Speaker 3: I've thought a lot about that, especially lately because I'm going, Oh, I swim, and is that something i'd want, especially with experience I've just been there, is that something i'd want for my kids? And it's hard to say, Like, I think that the most you can do is what my parents have probably EM's parents did for her, which was just put you and learn to swim. Yeah, for safety reasons, you know, because I want my kids to be able to feel comfortable at the beach, you know, for living in Australia.
Speaker 2: Obviously we're going to be going to the beach.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I want them to be able to learn how to surf and do surf life saving all that I enjoy doing growing up. And you want them to feel competent enough in those scenarios to enjoy the ocean. And then if like pool swimming, and competitive swimming is of interest and of you know, if they if they enjoy it, then then I'll encourage it. But if they don't, I'm definitely not going to be one to make them.
Speaker 1: Because you would have seen it. You would have seen growing up as a swimmer, and I definitely would have seen it because she swam for a longer period as a swimmer, but that she didn't have the musical intervention like you did where you've got parents and I've seen it football said all sorts of places who pushed the kid.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 4: I mean it's good. Look, it's a great sport, it's a great discipline. They learned a lot of stuff about themselves that that push. Sometimes you need sometimes kids, you.
Speaker 2: Need a little tough love at time a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I mean that's gonna be a great question for you to a.
Speaker 4: Great dilemma for you guys to have to deal with at some stage, because you're definitely gonna have the genetics there and what makes.
Speaker 1: Sense and you're going to be thinking you yourself.
Speaker 4: I don't want this kid to waste what God has given them through you know, through the multitude of probabilities.
Speaker 1: Of someone coming out a good swimmer.
Speaker 4: If anybody or a good athlete generally, if anyone's going to have that, that genetics.
Speaker 1: Is going to be would be the combination of you too. Then you feel as though an obligation should I am I obliged to cultivate that? And how hard do you push that's that's gonna that? It would be a really tricky thing to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it'll be something to balance for sure, because that you know, you want to you want to be tough to the point of teaching them. You know that that it's important too, that you need some measure of discipline right to do anything in life. And so and you see a lot of kids these days and just they don't have that, you know, they're not taught that because because there is that element of, oh, we don't want to be tough on our yeah kids, you know. And I can't speak for parents. I don't know what it's like, but.
Speaker 2: You don't want to go too soft.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I don't want to force my kid to do anything that they don't want to do. And I was lucky that my parents never forced me to train or forced me to get up.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like you forced them to take it.
Speaker 3: I force them to take me. Yeah. If anything, Hopefully, if my kids anything like me, they're going to have a little inherent drive. And so I'm hoping that's you know, enough to then be able to nurture in whatever path they choose to take. They could be a you know anything, biologist, or a tennis player or a you know it, could be a musician. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Cody Simpson.
Speaker 4: I hope I'm doing this in ten years time, and I hope that you come back in ten years time with.
Speaker 3: Your little my little little one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can tell me how your kids going in relation to that part of your life, because I actually think I have to be fascinated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm fascinated to experience it. So I'm excited to experience it.
Speaker 1: And I want to say thank you very much for coming in today.
Speaker 3: Lake.
Speaker 1: It's been awesome.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, by the way, on your life. Thank you everything you've done in your life and the way you've done it, probably more importantly, thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your time and the chat today.
Speaker 3: It's been great.