Speaker 1: Welcome to the mentor. I'm Ike Boris Curtis. Welcome to the mentor.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Do you like the way we pronounced your surname?
Speaker 2: Very well done.
Speaker 1: Thank Marley courtis Marley quit. Now you are I'm going to get this right now. You're the consul general, Yes, of Greece or for Greece in New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can explain to me how does this I've always been intrigued. I mean, I know we've got an ambassador, Greek ambassador, but he lives in Canberra. But then the consul general what is that? How does that work? And do we have one every stayed in Australia.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we have one ambassador in Canberra who's in charge of the bilateral relations and he's our boss. Then we've got three consulates general. The largest is in Melbourne, then here in Sydney and Adelaide, and the fourth is in Perth. It's a consulate, not a consulate general. So the four consulates and Consulates general, they deal mostly with the Greek community rather than with bilateral relations. The ambassador has the oversight, but again he his purview, his remed is mostly bilateral relations is Australia.
Speaker 1: But when you say bilateral relations, that means how Australia increas in policy since exact.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, from foreign policy to trade to other issues. Whereas my mandate is mostly to deal with the Greek Australian community in New South Wales and cater for their for their needs, renewals of renewal of passports, citizenship, which is probably the most demanding powers of attorney. Legal issues. They've got property issues, military service deferment, things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's you made a very interesting point. Actually one I've always been very curious about property issues. And then you're talking about Australian or Greek Australians or Australian Greeks who may have dual citizenship because that's something that Australia does and Greece does, so they might have someone like me. I've got your dual citizenship, which means I've got a passport in Greek and an Australian passport. But maybe we own property in Greece, for example, and it could have been your father's, my father's property, or might have bought something whatever. What are the property issues, the sort of property issues that the people who come to your consulate, what are they what are they worried about? What are the issues? I mean? Are they worried about things like paying tax in Greece or is there something because it is Greeks. Grece is a member of the European Union, and as some of the European Union countries actually charged people who are non residents and extra tax if they're not living in the property in Europe. Is that the sort of thing you're talking about.
Speaker 2: There are two main issues we've got on this. One is inheritance. So a Greek Australian who has left, well, his grandparents have left, and decades later he finds out that he has inherited property in Greece. You don't need to be a Greek citizen to inherit property, but it makes it easier. So that is where problems sometimes arise, because they want to quickly become Greek citizens to be able to sort out their their their dealings in Greece. And when it comes to taxing you probably know this. We've started a negotiation the two countries to agree on a double te Stesson avoidance.
Speaker 1: Agreement, which we've never had before.
Speaker 2: No, we haven't and we haven't reached the point yet, but hopefully within the foreseeable future we will reach an agreement and that will help many Greek Australians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because what you're talking about here, Rannests. We're talking about here trying to and I don't mean it in a sinister sense, but avoid being taxed twice.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, if you've got.
Speaker 1: Income in Greece, you don't want to have to pay tax in Greece and then when you come back to austraighta pay tax again. You want to get a credit for what you pay in Greece. Or altern ofly, if you live in Greece but you're an Australian citizen, you're an income you want to get a credit for what you're paying Australia.
Speaker 2: And your global income is here. If you're a Greek Australian, that's where you declare taxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's how the Australian government works. Yes, So in your job, then I guess you're getting lots and lots of inquiry because you know, I've been up to the consulate there and this is the one down across the road from the Alpha restaurant. Exactly, great gaps building, Yes, and.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It must be sort of exhausting sometimes because some of the people can get pretty upset simple things like passports, like passport renew exactly, it takes a long time.
Speaker 2: No, passport renewal is quite simple, actually we should be. Citizenship is more complicated, and these two issues are often conflated by Greek Australians. It probably has to do with how they see how things work in Australia. Every day we receive tens of emails in which the Greek Australians request.
Speaker 1: For a passport.
Speaker 2: When you receive that, you probably think that the sender is an existing Greek citizen who wants to renew or issue his Greek or Greek passport, Whereas it's usually a Greek Australian of Greek descent who wants to become a Greek citizen to be eligible for a passport in the future. So when it comes to renewals of existing Greek citizens, that's done within two months from the moment you come and apply. Two months later, you've got your passport.
Speaker 1: Is that done? Here? Do you have the deination?
Speaker 2: We send the application back home and then the passport is sent to us and we give it to the applicant. There's no problem with passport renewals or issues of passport passports. The problem is when it comes to citizenship, because there's a very large demand, high demand, there's a backlog, and we have a lean set up. Still we're trying to The Greek government has announced that we will employ locally and we have recently made an announcement to employ three local staff which will help who will help in resolving these issues. But there's a very high demand and backlog for citizenship in Greece. Here Greek Australians who want to become dual citizens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why do they want to become? Well, what was the objective?
Speaker 2: I would say there there's a romantic or sentimental answer to your question, and there's a more utilitarian one. The romantic one is that they want to reconnect to the to the homeland of their grandparents and at a later stage in their lives there they want to go, not go back for good, but to be able to go back frequently and why not have property and they want to you know, re establish this connection which perhaps they have lost because their grandparents have passed. So on the other one, the more practical or pragmatic reason is that a Greek passport provides more options in your life for the future, whether you want to work in Europe, whether you want to travel in Europe without the ninety day limit, and in general to have your options open for the future. You feel more secure to also have a European passport as they call it. They confuse that they call it European passport. It's not the European passport. It's a Greek passport. We don't have European passport. We've got French, Greek, Irish passports, yeah, and German, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But at each one of those countries maybe the European Union as rexactly, you get the benefits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get the benefits of being part of this larger family which is called European Union.
Speaker 1: But you honest could you could you also maybe it's a third one is a third one? And if I can suggest Greece become really popular, like it's trending. It's not trendy, and it's trendy, but it's trending big time. Yes, could there be? Have you noticed a greater demand for citizenship dual citizenship from Australians so Greek descendant Australians. If that's the word, have you sent an increase in demand because of the new popularity what I can see to be the new popularity of being Greek or going to Greece.
Speaker 2: Yes, perhaps that is it, especially in the past five years, I tell you, yes. And what is positive is that when Greek Australians go back to Greece there are probably the highest vendors. Is that right? They really helped the economy. Greek Australian tourists are good tourists, so yes. The ninety day limit which they have restrains them and limits their options. So they want to be able to travel more often and stay for longereriods of time, especially retired Greeks.
Speaker 1: Greek Australian and I don't know which part of Greece you're from. You're obviously born in Greece. And where were you born in Greece?
Speaker 2: I was born in Athens. I'm a third generation Athenian. But my grandfather left from Kalamata at the age of sixteen to go to the Greek military academy school Leveloped and it's called so he left at sixteen. He became an officer of the Greek Army. And then my father was born in Athens and so was I.
Speaker 1: And what was your education educated in Athens? Did you go to an international school?
Speaker 2: Yes, I went to an international school in Athens and I studied in tertiary education in the United Kingdom.
Speaker 1: You went on to study now for your generation, is that a typical move that you go to do your university outside of Greece.
Speaker 2: At the time, the UK was very popular because it was still before Brexit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there were no fees and I remember my university face.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I remember my late father telling me that it's cheaper to send me there than to send me to Thesaloniki, which was probably an exaggeration, but that's how cheap it was for us. We didn't pay any fees. We just had to pay living expenses, and outside London life was quite affordable.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then this is thirty five years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then what did you study thirty years I say, you got a whole lot of university degrees, but like you've done a lot of study.
Speaker 2: My first degree was in history and politics at the University of Nottingham, second degree European Politics and policy at the London School of Economics.
Speaker 1: Wow, London School of Economics. Yes, that in Chicago were the two great schools economic schools in the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, well yeah, it still is quite high up in the rankings. Yeah. And the third international law at the University of Geneva.
Speaker 1: So, and were you always set for this diplomatic style career?
Speaker 2: Was that? I mean I had influences in my family and we were highly let's say politicized family. We spoke about international relations and politics. But my plan initially was to become an academic. I wanted to study. I wanted to become a professor, university history professor. And in the course this changed, especially when I came back to Greece to serve in the military. My life changed. So I decided to go into the workforce.
Speaker 1: And you might explain you I said, and I'm not sure if it's still the case, but military service is compulsory.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is still still for everyone. At the time, it was almost two years I did twenty three months. Now it's much less. It's a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I remember, and I'm pretty old, but I remember when I first went to Greece, when I was twenty five years ago, which is forty three plus years ago. My first trip de Greece, I shared to get a letter signed by the Australian Consulate I think it was Australian Consulate saying that I was also an Australian citizen, so I had an exemption, but I couldn't stay more than thirty days at the time in Greece, otherwise you have to do military service. They stop you at the then they stopped you at the airport and ask.
Speaker 2: You yes, what you have to do is on once you become a Greek citizen, you need to get to do the paperwork to get a deferment. With this deferment, you can reside. You can stay in Greece for up to six months a year without serving as a Greek from abroad. If you exceed this time, then you have to serve three months. That's the rule. The thirty day rule is for those who have not done the paperwork just go into the country without having received this deferment. So that must be that you have to leave within thirty days.
Speaker 1: Yes, that must have been sort of what was happening. That's the sort of deal. Because I had no deferment and had made any application, so they just said I could stay thirty days. And I recall someone telling me that the rule in Greece was if your father's born in Greece, your Greek. Like that's that's the legal rule. That's the view, not your mother, your father, your father's Greek.
Speaker 2: All this has changed, like you has it yes early eighties, we had many reforms on these issues. Before eighty four, a woman, for example, could not pass on Greek citizenship to her children. It was only the father, only the father. This has changed after nineteen eighty four, and Greek citizenship is by blood, it's not by territory, so it doesn't make a difference whether you were born in Greece. If you're a foreigner and born in Greece, you don't immediately have a right to Greek citizenship, Whereas if you're born abroad but your parents are Greek, you're also eligible to become a Greek citizen, but you don't automatically become one. You have to be registered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, my father registry. But my father registered me, then you became Yeah, why he did it, but he did. I didn't realize he didn't tell me, but then he told me many years later that when I was born, he registered me. Yeah, I don't understand what was my dad was thinking. Maybe it was being pretty modern at the time, but or maybe the other way, maybe it's just being old fashioned as well. And as a result of that, a lot of things flowed. When I mean, I understand what you do on a day day bas at which your consulate does. You're obviously the boss in New South Wales, but you're not stamping passports things like that. But nonetheless I understand what you do. But how important is your role? Because I often go to functions, for example, the Hellenic Initiative, et cetera, where I see representative diplomatic representatives of the Greek government at those events, sometimes the ambassadors even there. How important is your role in maintaining maintaining I don't know if that's the right word. Fostering perhaps is a better word. Greek culture in Australia for Australians, but also for those people who hankering to have that Greek culture maintain they're probably people who have Greek descendants.
Speaker 2: I would say it is extremely important, and it is after six o'clock because from name to six it's what you said. Yeah, So basically day to day more bureaucratic stuff after six, it's representing the Greek government within the Greek Australian community, but also bilaterally with authorities on New.
Speaker 1: South Wales as in government.
Speaker 2: Yes, for a function of the Premier or of some minister I would be there as well. Or relations with the consular core here, which is one of the largest in the world, or even meetings with other community leaders, for example the Jewish community of Sydney. But the most important part is undoubtedly representing the Greek state in the functions of the Greek community and promoting Greek culture and fostering bonds between the two countries. I think what is important, especially for Australian born Greeks, is to find the different stories or elements that connect our two countries. Because when our grandparents came here, there was a very strong parochial element to their identity. They came from their villages, they brought this with them and they were organized on the basis of that. So they had associations from let's say Tripoli or Kalamata or Thessaloniki. That is waning because Greek Australians born in Australia don't have the same memories or experiences from Greece. So the challenge is to find those elements that make Greek Australians proud of their heritage but also connect them to their new homeland. A typical example is the anzac story of Australians fighting for Greek freedom during both World Wars, the Limnos story, which was brought into light in the past ten years, the importance of Lemnos during the Gallipoli Campaign, the fact that it was the logistics hub of the Australians, and in the Second World War, the participation of Australians in the Greek campaign and in the Battle of Crete. These stories foster bonds between our two countries and they make Greek Australians proud and they managed to include themselves themselves in the equation of the Greek Australian story.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting that you say, because you made me think back when my dad's elder brother, Nick, he was the secretary of the Panaccadian Society in Australia, which is sort of a region of Greece where my family came from. But those societies, if they exist, they're not very prevalent anymore in fact, but the Pannicadian would have an annual function. These things don't exist anymore. They don't have these annual functions give all a big deal.
Speaker 2: They do, but they are mostly focused towards that generation older people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whereas the younger people probably looking for something else to identify with. And I remember, I mean when I was I'll quickly tell this story before we go to the break and comeback. But because I do want to talk to you about your Prime Minister, the great work he's doing in Greece and the reputation Greece is getting worldwide in a commercial sense. But I do remember when I was fifteen, I was the second oldest cousin and a third oldest cousin in my family. I got a lot of cousins. Can you imagine seven boys, lots of kids, grandkids and etc. But I used to have to take I used to have to partner female cousins to the Young Matrons Ball Greek Young Greek Matrons Ball, which is just to be held at what was called the wink With Hotel was now called the Softa Tel Hotel, and you just have to go and learn in the middle of summer every Saturday, Greek dancing at the Hellenic Club in Elizabeth Street because all my friends were going to the beach and it was summer and and but this was because the ball was but it was a big event. The archbishop used to go. Everybody sort of went. My family went, my parents, my uncle's aunties, everybody. I had tables and you wore.
Speaker 2: It's still a very big thing for community.
Speaker 1: But it's more than the Kazis do it. I think I'm not sure if they just do it.
Speaker 2: They still have mat to it every June usually.
Speaker 1: They do it, and they still do it and it's still a big event.
Speaker 2: And the Kutherians and the Catherians, the two balls over the calendar. I think, here are those two right, They're still doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good because I wasn't sure because but I thought to myself, I actually used to think it was very parochial. I didn't know that word when I was fifteen, but that sort of was more the description. I used to think, why are they doing this like this and why? I mean, my cousins they were you know, they were born in Australia and they didn't need to wear the dress to be for the first time that it wasn't like the first time they've ever been out, but we're doing doing that in a sort of symbolic way.
Speaker 2: It is though it is not so parochial in the sense that it is an adaptation to a strain in life, because we don't have debutante balls in Greece. Oh really, we never had something like that. That is very British. So it's interesting because it's exactly this example of Greeks wanting to fit in and in the same ball, you've got people dressed as they would be in a British deputant ball in the nineteenth century. But at the end of the function they dance Greek. Ye they did, So it is a combination of the two.
Speaker 1: Worlds that's very interesting.
Speaker 2: At these events, they're not so parochial as they might seem.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad to hear they're still holding them. I mean now, as an old and much older man, I'm actually quite happy please that they still holding him. I want to get break, and I'm going to come straight back because I do want to talk to you about your prime minister. Okay, I'm back from break, and now let's talk about your current prime minister. Progressive, Can you just give us a bit of a story about your promise, and how has he thought of in Greece.
Speaker 2: Just to point out that I represent the Greek states under the Greek government.
Speaker 1: I understand. So you're in another words, you're not pro or against the Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit on thin ice on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta be careful.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Greek government is. In terms of the economy, the Greek state is doing very well. Yeah, figures are looking good, indicators are good. We get positive press, especially in the Economists and other important international journals, and public debt as well, which was a huge problem ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Pope post GFC, yes, yes, a big it has.
Speaker 2: It is dropping quickly and growth is also encouraging. So and there are major investments taking place in the country. Have you been to Athens recently? Yeah, yeah, there is. There are big projects going on and in terms of infrastructure as well. So the economy has picked up in the past few years.
Speaker 1: But I don't understand though, why all of a sudden. I mean, we've got huge, wealthy countries investing in Greece, especially at the old airport, like massive amounts of money we're talking about here, and yet if you go back to the GFC period, when Greece was in all sorts of trouble, which is when the Hellenic Initiative initiative was first launched to help people who are basically on the breadline, like really doing it tough, and a lot of Australians. And I'm sure this happened globally. I know it did happen to globally amongst the diasper around the world. They all formed the Hellenic Initiative, participated in it, and we raise money, et cetera, and I send the money back to Greece, and also did lots of other things. But since that period, commercially economically, Greece has seemed to have outperformed itself compared to previous years. Has become very progressive, allowing developments, also allowing a lot of international funds to come into Greece and put money, invest money into Greece, like in real estate, in ports, all sorts of things, and tourism as well, particularly tourism, and then tourism of course has picked up. Greece has become very good at advertising itself all of a sudden, I mean, even on things like Instagram. I mean, maybe the Instagram's feeding me, but I look at one or two things and the next thing, and I've got ten things popping up on my feed, and all of it makes me think, God, I wish I was there now, you know, like everyone swimming, everybody's dancing and enjoying themselves, you know, like eating whatever. And then they show you these beautiful photographs of you know, places and the various greg islands, or if you get a Thessaloniki, you know, like what it looks like, you know, to walk around the streets. All of a sudden, Greece is advertising itself and other people are advertising for you too, when they're tourists, you know, putting stuff on and famous American tourists, especially putting stuff on Instagram. Has Do you think that this has been a strategy that has been purposely sought after, or as has just been a confluence of events that have resulted in Greece becoming ever so popular and a great place to invest now in certain projects.
Speaker 2: At least, I think it's a combination of factors. It's both at the same time. The GFC was dramatic for Luntry because it reduced the country's GDP by one fourth, which is the largest drope in peacetime ever recorded, we lost about twenty five percent I think at least twenty five percent of our GDP. At the same time, some important reforms were implemented at the time and investing in Greece became more favorable and the business climate improved gradually. So this started. This is not just a new phenomenon. It's gradual over the past let's say ten years. And there is I think a strategy by the government to promote Greek tourism and Greece as a destination which is multifaceted. It can provide different services gastronomical as well. There's Athens has become a new hub for restaurants, for Greek cuisine or even a more boem style of tourists. It's not of tourism. It's not just targeted towards the tourists that we had in the nineteen eighties. Yes, it's more multi dimensional cultural tourism tourism. There is there is an effort to differentiate the product when it comes to tourism. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But because when I go to Athens now I find it as a culturally.
Speaker 2: Different yeah, and very vibrant yeah, and a lot of energy, yes, a lot of a lot of things going on.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not just you get in a monaster racket and go to exactly. You know, it's not just this, it's.
Speaker 2: Not just a souvenir, and it's not just a veteran all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah what I used to call it. But there's a lot of things now you're still going on those other things you can still get.
Speaker 2: Yes, but other things are going on as.
Speaker 1: Well, lots of activity. And I find the energy of the place, particularly Athens, it hasn't for me. It hasn't bled down into places like the PLoP on Us or like it hasn't led down to from where you're from. Kalamata hasn't really changed that much. It's developing, it's going to air, but it's not that much. It's still colormade as it was. I mean, and you can like where my father comes from. Nothing's really changed. But there's only like a couple of hundred people live in my dad's village now. It's just some older women and some of old men, but mostly the young people don't live there anymore, especially the summer them not. But they will go like you, they'll go to a university somewhere and then they get to become an engineer in Germany or something. They go somewhere else for their job. Although I would hope that Greece is looking as some way to attract them back.
Speaker 2: The government has implemented measures, especially when it comes to taxation incentives, giving incentives to this brain drain to come back, because during the crisis, thousands of Greeks left, white collared Greeks, educated Greeks who went to mostly Europe, but even beyond doctors, lawyers and businessmen. And now we're trying to attract them to come back. And it is and we are succeeding to a certain extent.
Speaker 1: As long as you got projects for them, you have to have and incentives for them to return and incentives. Yeah, you are educated as a historian and political science and political scientist, but if I could just look at history historian side of it. When you did your education, was it around Greece's place in history?
Speaker 2: No, it was most mostly European.
Speaker 1: History, European history in general.
Speaker 2: In the UK, there was no separate course for Greek history. There was a course that touched upon Greek political history. It was called Transitions to Democracy in Southeastern Europe because at the time the three models were Spain, Greece, Portugal. In Spain the way they transitioned from dictatorship to democracy in the nineteen seventies, so there was a it was trendy to analyze cases in a comparative way, so it was called comparative politics in Southeastern Europe and transitions to democracy. That's where I touched upon Greek history. But in general there was not a separate course for Greek history. What about on my own, I read a lot.
Speaker 1: I was that I was going to ask you, So the importance of Greek history in Greek culture, where does that seat?
Speaker 2: It's fundamental, as is the language. And this is an issue we can touch upon later if you want, about the need for Greek Australians to do more in my view, to maintain the language amongst So I like to talk about that amongst second and third generation Greeks because I don't want to want to be alarmist, but we are gradually losing the language here. Greek history is very important because it creates a self awareness amongst the community. And to see why. For example, if you don't if you don't know, if you're a Greek history, you won't understand why your grandparents came here, because they didn't come here by choice. Yes, there are three main waves of Greek migration to Australia. The first is in the nineteenth century from the Greek Revolution. Actually the first you probably know this story, the first seven Greek sailors who came here by force because they were arrested in Malta. And then we had the Kazis, the Kutherians and from Ithaca. Those were the three main places of Greek migration up until nineteen twenty. After nineteen twenty two we have a new wave because of the Asia Minor disaster, and then we've got the largest wave after the Greek after the Second World War. And if you do not know why, what were the historical trends that pushed these people to make this journey, you won't really understand where they're coming from. So it's important to have at least a basic self awareness and knowledge of Greek history.
Speaker 1: And where can someone find that out? Do you guys put that up on the website or.
Speaker 2: We do a lot. We have many functions, not just us the Consulate, but the Greek community and through the archdiocese. There is an effort to promote Greek history. For example, in my first year here, we organized events to commemorate the story of the Greek Jews, which is not very very very well known in Australia, but even a few decades ago was not very well known in Greece either. We commemorated early years of the extermination of the Greek Jews, of the tragic events of nineteen forty three when they were all sent almost all of them were sent to Auschwitz. Then we've done functions about the Anzac story, which is very important Battle of Crete. Even sometimes we've gone back to ancient history and the similarities between between Greek mythology and indigenous dreamings, which you would not expect, but there are. There are some well similarities. You can find some common trends. So it is a very important part of my job to promote this, I think, and a lot has to be done in that field, because we're not just about and I don't want to diminish the importance of Greek parades and dances and suvlaiki, but we're much more than that. We're not just that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because my good friend Nick Pappus, when we were both on the board of the Powerhouse Museum. He was a chairman of trust. We bought out the Banaki two thousand and four, I think, yeah, yeah, we bought the exhibition out from the Banaki Museum in Athens, which is a very good place, a good place to go visit. Looks is quite beautiful. But they bought some of the treasures, not everything. Yes, and they displayed it here and I don't think. I'm not sure if it went to Melbourne, but it may have and it was quite one of or to see this stuff and for Greek Australians to go and have a look, because a lot of them, if they go to Greece Athens, they don't ever go to these sorts of places, these museums. They mostly spend their time at the plaka or on an island. Because you know, one of the things is important. I don't for my point of anyway is Greece is not just about going in there for parties. It's the history and the culture. Then the culture is very very important, and it's very difficult for somebody to go and experience it if they don't have a friend there or a family there, or if they at least haven't read about it before they go or haven't even been made aware of it, because if they're not aware of it, they don't know what to do. And I think that's a good thing for the Consul General to be doing in Australia across the country, not just in your southwast but everywhere. This education process really important. What are you guys doing in relation to that? So where do you feel as though your role fits into that?
Speaker 2: In promoting culture and history. Together with associations and the Greek community in general, we organize lectures and functions. To be honest, sometimes it is a challenge to attract many people at these functions. Yet I think there is a very strong didactic objective of what you said before, in other words, to educate and we learned things from these lectures. Last year we had This year actually we commemorated the two hundredth the anniversary of the of the death of Lord Byron and Massolonghi, and so we had a lecture. We organized a lecture together with the Modern Greek Department at the University of Sydney to tell the story of Lord Byron with Professor car Alice. A lot is taking place not just through the Consulate, through other act. Perhaps sometimes we're not. We must promote, we must make it more public.
Speaker 3: That is always a challenge for us, because for me, I'd love to see much more of this and this and then all this sort of brings us into the loss of Greek language in Australia.
Speaker 1: And I'll give you a good example example, a good example of how it happens. Say, if you look in my family, my father married an Irish woman in Australia. But my father and his brothers and my yeah, yeah, who I lived with, she couldn't speak one word of English I had. When I was at university, I lived with my grandmother and so I had to learned to speak Greek. So because otherwise I can't communicate. But what's interesting is they brought from Greece their village Greek from nineteen forty eight, and no one really went back for maybe fifty years. The Greek they spoke here was the same Greek they spoke in the village in nineteen forty eight. In fact, and my father worked in Australian business, so he didn't speak to anyone else Greek except for his family. So right up until my father's death, actually this year, his Greek he and his brothers could speak no problem. But he and I went back to Athens and like he had difficulty, like speaking in a modern Greek way for more formal he can't speak. He couldn't really understand things. There was words being introduced to him by by the way young Bulgarian women who speak better Greek than he does in the cafe we were going to, and my dad used to get a bit embarrassed, so we sort of spoke of really Greek. Now my father's passed away. The only time I speak any Greek is if I go to my dad's house. I wish I used to go every Saturday, and I would we would practice you know who say that you said the wrong way the roight We know this, you know, like you know, like stupid litheos like you know, but like if this silly word like alithio a lithios ilithios same sound the same, but they're two completely different words one stupid one's truth or whatever. Yeah, you know, like, and my father would always be picking me up. Now my father's passed away, I think to myself, how am I going to continue on with this? Because I feel a bit of an obligation to my own family, because I have four sons three grandsons to at least carry something forward from my dad's side of the family that has some relevance to them culturally and also, you know, perhaps even genetically. I think it's probably a good way of putting it, but I find it frustratingly difficult to do that. I mean, sure, I look at all the apps, but like you know, they're complicated and you've got to spend a lot of time. There's no place to really speak Greek like properly for me where someone will have the patience to say something to me. So Mark, that's wrong. You know, you pronounce it incorrectly or you've got the grammar wrong. I have some friends who are Greek, so I do speak to them when I have an occasion, but it's just like one or two sentences. Because we have Australian friends stay in front of us, otherwise it can be rude. So we don't know. We don't do that. So so what do you think could be done in this regard For the younger generation, the main challenge is not so much supply of Greek language, of learning the Greek language.
Speaker 2: Rather than demand. Really, and we have options if we want to learn Greek. In Australia, there are three full Greek Orthodox schools where Greek is taught. The Greek community of New South Wales also has Saturday and afternoon schools. There are private many parishes have Greek lessons provide Greek lessons, and there are also options in the public schools where there are many Greeks living residing, for example in Eirlwood. The Australian public system provides for the teaching of Greek. The main issues demand and what do I mean by that? Greek Australians, especially second and third generation do not see the purpose in what sense. We are all were geared towards succeeding in life and doing well and excel in our professional domains. You don't need Greek for that. Yes, so the question I get from younger Greek Australian what is in it for me to learn the language? What will I gain by learning Greek? And they live in a country which is in which English is spoken. English is a steamroller. You don't need another language to do well in Australia. Unlike us. When we grew up, our parents in Greece used to tell us that if we don't learn any other foreign language, we will be failures in life. You know, that was really instilled into our minds that we have to learn a foreign language here. It's not part of the culture. There's no need to learn. You're bit geographically remote from the rest of the world. You can do perfectly fine with just English. And the challenges to convince a young Greek Australian to learn the language. And one of the arguments I use is that if you want the Greek passport, for example, although it's not a precondition, there are certain categories of pathways to Greek citizenship which require you to speak the language if you want to go through naturalization for example. Another argument is that if you want to fit in when you go back to Greece, and apparently most Greek Australians want to go back to Greece, you have to be able to at least order koffures of life. Yet Greek taverna.
Speaker 1: Right, especially outside of Athens.
Speaker 2: Outside of Athens, yeah, yes, because in Athens most people do speak English, but it's not always easy to convince Greek Australians to speak the language. And because you refer to your family, I will tell you what I see in many of the Greek restaurants, and with my colleagues we have made the same observation. You see at a family feast in a Greek restaurant, the grandparents sitting on the one side, and they are the ones that are right from Greece decades ago. They speak to their children, so to your generation in Greek. The children respond to them in English, and then the next generation, which is sitting on the other side of the table, speaks just English. So you see how in two generations the language gradually disappears. Yeah, and this is something that both the Greek state and the Greek Australian community have to do, have to have to address, and there is from the point of view of the Greek government, there is an effort to promote the Greek language through visits to Greece or in the New Strategy for Greeks Abroad for twenty twenty four twenty twenty seven, the Greek language, Greek language learning is one of the key objectives. But both of us these efforts have to be joined for this to succeed. One could argue, you could be a devil's advocate, so what does it matter? Does it matter if Greek Australians speak Greek or not? Are we moving towards a model which would be more similar to the American model where Greek migrants arrived earlier. Thus, the Greek language has not disappeared, but it's spoken less than here. Does it really matter? What will our identity be? We're at the crossroads, I think, because the generation that came here is biologically going out of the picture. So we have to see how we see ourselves in the future. Make a projection. How do I want Greek Australian identity to look like in twenty thirty years? Does it matter? And that's a question that the Greek community here must address to itself. Does it matter or will my greekness, my Greek identity be defined by other characteristics my faith, which is very resilient, it's incredibly resilient, music, Greek dancing, Greek food and visits to Greece and a sense of affinity towards Greece.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting. And because I think all those other ones are easier. Yeah, I mean, because learning is bring much less effort to eat than to Greeks. Because the Greek, you know, it's everything's different about it. I mean, the sounds are different about it. That let the writing is different about it. It's not like learning say French, where you at least the words look the same. It's very very different. It's sort of nearly like learning Chinese. For some people, you know, they would look at it, Oh my god, like what is that? And it is. It is a fairly strict language in that it's there's not a lot of give or leeway in it. I mean, I don't know, because like you've got to pronounce words correctly, and if you don't pronounce them correctly, you could be saying another word could have a different meaning. It's and just the conjugation of the language, the way it's written is different as sort of the way we would speak in English. So it's quite as it's quite challenging and you and because the way I look at it, though importantly, I think it's important perhaps as an older person I'm talking about this, but I think it's a very good cognitive exercise. You know, it's a good challenge to you cognitively to test yourself. And if you're going to pick something at Langue which to learn to keep your cognition sharp as you get older, then why not pick the language that's closest.
Speaker 2: To you exactly.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, that doesn't apply to a young person, I get it. But if you're someone who.
Speaker 2: Does, apply to him as well to our children, because apparently scientifically has been proven that learning a foreign language at a young age improves your cognitive ability and it will probably make you a better student at school. Yes, yeah, so I think even there, that's another argument we use when we try to convince people to learn a foreign language, is it is an investment for the future.
Speaker 1: But if you're a parent saying that, then you better learn it.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: First, you can't say to your kid, you're going to learn this language and you have to speak Greek at your children at home. Yeah, and you have to keep trying it out on them, And so it's it's sort of thely comes a double edged sword in that you've got to convince parents first that this is good for you to learn it or to maintain the language for you, just even if it's not for cultural reasons, just from a cognitive point of view, it's important for you to continue on with this. And that's the way I look at it anyway. So cognitively it's important for me, and therefore I'm if I'm equipped to be able to speak, and I'm much more able to talk to my grandsons. They look at me like that, I don't know what, pop, what are you talking about? They just look at me like blank. But it doesn't matter. I still speak to them just a little bit. Like last weekend on Father's Day, my grandkid, my sons and grandsons came up and I'm speaking to my grandsons like the civial things, like I said, like just little kids lead one two years old, just getting too used to the sound. But I know I can't expect them to my sons, to take them to Greek lessons, which I took my sons to. By the way, I got the you said it earlier. I got the Greek teacher from rose Bay. I think it was a king Copplo Kambala, one of those mister Angelo, Basil Angelo. He used to come to my house and take my boys with the books in school books. It was actually hilarious, to be honest with you, watching my four sons sitting there two nights a week learning with learning Greek. Because they were like from teenager down through to maybe eleven years old sitting there with like five year old book school book like the Cat and the Apple blah blah bla blah, you know, like this, And it was hilarious to me to watch it, but it was very It was a good exercise for them because I found that it actually gave them something that bound them together. And they still have a little bit of a joke about it with me. And they remember the old man who used to come. He was the nicest old man of all time, Like he was such a good person. It was a lovely person. So I think the exercise maybe is a bit of romance there for me. But I think the exercise is a good exercise and it's great that you guys are recognizing it at a state level. I really do think it's important. I want to ask you one final thing. The Delphie Forum is coming up. Yeah, could you explain with the Delphie Forum Normally it's in Delphie, But what is the Delphie Forum and why is that important?
Speaker 2: It is? From what I know, it is a private initiative, ye, and its main purpose is to discuss issues of entrepreneurship, business economy, and it's a more of a policy forum, a place where people exchange views and prominent people who have excelled in their field of work exchange views on policy, energy, a bit of foreign policy as well, and it has become gradually over the years, very successful and it attracts, if I may use the term, big names from the international field. These are ways again to promote also economic diplomacy and promote Greece abroad. So it's highly commendable.
Speaker 1: And it's it's quite interesting that Greece, but through private through private organizations, have actually taken upon themselves to whole one of these forums like it's it's to me, it's a big deal, and they've been very successful when they've been held in Delpha, I know.
Speaker 2: But for.
Speaker 1: It to be brought here to Australia, that's pretty cool. And given that such a large number of Australians have Greek descendants, Greek descendants are Greek descendants, I mean, it makes sense to hold it here. And I really think that that's that sort of thing, is a sort of type of event that gets people their blood to get warmer towards maybe perhaps being more interested in Greek culture, but perhaps becoming more interested in the Greek language. It's just another opportunity for like you, if you were speaking, to talk to these things and sort of just make sure you know, we start to think more about our background and where we come from.
Speaker 2: It also shows the importance of finding new elements which will unite the Greek community in the sense that the organizational structure of the Greek community is changing. As I said earlier, when the Greek migrants arrived, the main unifying factor was the village or the town where they came from. Now it's probably vocation. So if you've got Greek business leaders organizing themselves well and promoting something like that through the Delphi Forum, because from what I know some key Greek business leaders, Greek Australian business leaders are behind this initiative, this shows that this probably shows what the future can look like when it comes to the organization of the Greek community. Again, this is also another objective of the Greek National Strategy for twenty four to twenty seven, to see how the Greek communities abroad can organize themselves on the basis of vacation rather than than paro than dissent, in the sense that Greek doctors to organize themselves well. Greek lawyers Greek businessmen.
Speaker 1: As opposed to that society exactly.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and there are initiatives taking place here and they're ongoing. Paul Nicolau tries to to unify you know, Greek Greek business leaders from the business, Yes, from business Sydney and yeah correct, yeah, yes, he's He's done a few functions where I've seen that Greek business leaders meet and they feel an affinity towards each other which is based on their common professional course or path rather than their descent, their village or their place. This is the future, I think for the younger generations of Greek Australians.
Speaker 1: It's a more modern way of looking at things. So, in other words, the initiative that you're talking about twenty four to twenty seven is sort of a modernized version of keeping the community aware of their let's call it heritage, but not based on you know, I may be some disrespect, but on federalalves like the old school. You know, I'm an importer. I bring federalves into Australia from Greek. It's more about I'm a doctor, I'm a lawyer, I'm an engineer, or I'm a hard working business owner. I'm an entrepreneur et cetera, which is like the Delphine forums. That's what that's about. It's about recognizing modern connections that relate back to.
Speaker 2: Or at least combining the two, because there are still many Greek Australians and Greek Americans who who look back at their ancestry and they're very proud of the of the region. But at least we should combine it with something new as well and come up with with with innovative approaches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, innovative, I think that's the right word in it if it should give you a modern outcome which is really good, like because you're right, I still got friends who still talk about And by the way, this is pretty important issue, the importance of high quality olive oil in terms of our health and in places in Greece where it may come from a thousand year old wild olive trees, and there's young people who go back to Greece and do deals with farmers there who have these trees in their in their small fields in Callum which is outside of Kalamarta especially but Lake Kalamuter and the importance of actually having these organic, high quality olive oils in our diet, like literally having a spoontrail that with some lemon juice every day. But this is a new thing, and these individual entrepreneurs actually come to me with business propositions and they go back to they live in Australia, They go back to Greece, spend two three months the finding places where they can harvest this stuff from and they import it back to Australia and some of them are now importing it to other countries as well. So that's sort of like a modern version of the older generation, perhaps the generation before we used to import olive oil into Australia and fetter, when most Austrainers have heard of feta or olive oil, and all of a sudden, for example, high quality feta is become a big deal in Australia and it's from a dietary point of view because it contains a fat in there or an a mino a so called sea fifteen C one to five, which is one of the things that we lack in our diets in Western countries because of the push against things like butter and cheeses because of cholesterol, and all of a sudden, now there's one element that comes out of sheep sheep's milk fetter as opposed to goat's milk. The sheep's milk fetter. There's an element of that particular cheese, which is why the people in Nikorea are living in what they call the Blue Zone.
Speaker 2: In the Blue Zone, it's one of the four Blue Zones.
Speaker 1: Because there's something in their cheese. And I know a lot of younger people who are starting to discover this stuff. But they're of Greek heritage, but they're born here. They're probably second generation, but they're going back to Greece and bringing their stuff back to Australia now and they're getting really excited about because some of these people they reach out to me on the various mediums that we all operate in any last partying things you would like to say, you know in your role that you would like to let my audience know about, because we have a lot of great to listen to us.
Speaker 2: I've been here two years and something that I hadn't realized before coming here is the importance of hard work, the importance of the toil and the struggle that the first generator, the Greek migrants who came here presented so that they are so that their children and grandchildren are so successful today. This drive to succeed, to educate their children is indeed very impressive because they came here with nothing. As I said earlier, they did not leave Greece by choice. The country was ravaged by war civil war, and they left with one suit case. And it is incredible when you see these people they come to the Consulate for various affairs, how tough they are in a good sense that they worked so hard. You can see that in their hands sometimes as well. And they were uneducated, and in one generation or two their descendants are successful businessmen or scientists, or lawyers or teachers. It shows that Greeks have this drive to excel, to do well, and this is very impressive and it's something that perhaps in Greece we don't realize mainland Greeks the struggle that these people went through to succeed. When they tell you their stories, especially when they arrived here, Australia was not as multicultural as it is today. They had difficulties in everyday life. They didn't speak the language, society was not as tolerant as it is today. And yet with perseverance determination, they worked twelve hours a day at least, and in one generation they changed the whole course of their family's destiny. And that is indeed very impressive.
Speaker 1: You're talking about my father exactly what him and his brothers did exactly, and when someone like me sits down and observes it, it gives me a great deal of inspiration and motivation to do the same. I'm not sure whether after my generation where everybody thinks the same thing, but it's an important thing that we should discuss. We should discuss. I should discuss this with my sons, and hopefully I'll be able to discuss with my grandsons too what my father did and tell the stories that my father told. Because until my dad started telling me why he left Greece or sorry, what was happening in Greece and he left his parents took him out, of course, but what was going on in Greece, he never talked about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for most of his because trauma is part of the equation. Yeah, they don't want to discuss it.
Speaker 1: And his stories about how his brother his older brothers had to go and live in the in the mountain, go away from where the village was because they were considered rebels against the people who occupied their village. And you know, I'll just tell one final thing. My dad has gave me a photo. I have this photo, a photo of his house in rizz has a balcony and under the balcony there's a photo of my dad and at this stage five of his brothers standing there with my grandmother and under the balcony, and there's the lighters shining through the slats on the balcony, so you can see on the ground. When I went, I went to Greece with my dad and my sons, and I said, let's stand outside the house and get exactly the same photo in the same position with all my boys. I even cut their hair like crew cut, same as my dad, and all these brothers had their haircut, and I got them to stand exactly say spot. When I got the photograph developed, I looked at it and I said, you know, there's a difference. The son coming through the slats is not there. And I said, where's that balcony gone? He said, my mother. His mother saw the balcony off. And I said, why should that for? He said, because at the time the Communists used to hang young rebels from the balcony so that they wouldn't hang any more people from the balcony she sorted off. And that's the sort of thing that these people left behind. And they're the stories that we should have to tell our kids and to explain why our parents work so hard, why they had this You talked about this work ethic.
Speaker 2: And is indeed incredible, and it shows that Greeks are a model I think for newly arrived migrants and Australians Anglo Australians, if I can use the term, admit that because we were with Italians and Yugoslavs at the time before the breakdown of Yugoslavia, we were the first who arrived here and we managed I think, at least when it comes to Greeks, because I know this story better. We managed to gain and reap the benefits of both worlds, maintain our culture, our heritage, our faith, but at the same time grasp the new opportunities that this new land offered. And that's why they succeeded. They managed to, you know, to get the good, the best of.
Speaker 1: Both worlds, and largely most people were uneducated. And it's interesting that they work this stuff out out or just did everybody talk about I don't know how they worked it out, but they worked it out.
Speaker 2: Greeks have that they want their children, even if they're uneducated, they want to provide the opportunities to their children to do well. And in terms of education we are. We're social climbers as a nation, especially when we go abroad. We're not static. I abhorror racial or racial theories. I'm just saying that it's a cultural trait of Greeks. They want to excel, they want to do, they want they want their children to do very well.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, it seems to me, especially the ones to travel abroad or who live abroad.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe because they know what poverty is and they experienced poverty, whereas my generation in Greece we grew up well, we didn't experience poverty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and nor is my generation here in Australia, which is perhaps the very novel problem that we're going to have to overcome. Well, Joannis Malikuurtis, Yes, thank you very much for coming in. It's been great to have a chat to you about all things Greek culture, but probably importantly to have having in the concert general here for New South Wales is one it's privileged, but two it's actually quite interesting to hear what you've got to say as a modern person, yourself, a well educated modern guy.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Thank you, Mark, and thank you, thank you for what you're doing, because not all of your shows have a Greek dimension to it, but suddenly you always promote I think, Greek culture and Greek interests here in your own way, and I congratulate and thank you for that. Thank you for having the Greek flag always in your heart.
Speaker 1: Thank you