Speaker 1: I get at Welcome to another installing the show. Doctor Jeff's back. We fucking love him. You love him, I love him, We love him. Have you been on any other podcasts where the host is a potty mouth like me?
Speaker 2: No, but you're the most charming and fun guy to hang with. So this is my favorite time of the month, so to speak. Yeah, thank you. It's like one of the I think because.
Speaker 1: Because I do them every day, like every day of the year, and we're nearly two thousand in. You know, for me, it's just having a chat with someone I know that I like, and I know that sounds cheesy, but it's actually the truth. Like when people come off, especially new people who have either never done a podcast or never done one with me, they go, ah, it was just like having a conversation. I go, that's the point. That's the point. I don't want to do an interview. Interviews are fucking boring. Let's just talk. I love this because it's free form.
Speaker 2: We take it where it takes us, and hopefully we say one thing that helps one person each time, and that that makes it all good.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's do something back to front today. Why don't you tell people about you and where they can. Let's do the let's do the U primo before the chat, just up front. So and you'll love the doc anyway if you haven't heard him before. But how can people connect with you, find you, follow you all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm I'm doctor Jeff and I'm a simple country doctor, traditional brain surgeon, spine surgeon who is now doing anti aging, regenerative medicine, stem cells, peptides, you name it, we're trying it over here. So our brand is re celebrate because you are celebrating the renewal of yourselfs. So that's R E C E L L E b R A t E. As far as I know, we're the only people using that spelling of that word on the interwebs. So if you if you Google or whatever your browser of choice turned into a verb, you can you can find us by typing and re celebrate and you can reach out to us on our on our website has an option, our Instagram, our TikTok, our x, our Pinterest, our LinkedIn, our Facebook, or whatever we're that everywhere.
Speaker 1: Look at you. You sound like one of the bluddy You sound like a tain nager.
Speaker 2: I even say stuff like b R B instead of be right back yeah or r W t F. Why the frown?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, Yeah, you're the RJ of all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, O G what does that stand for?
Speaker 1: You know what that stands for?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: How have fine?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Now, dear listeners, I shared this the other day on a show which half of you probably haven't heard, and some of you might have. But let's call it just a refresh because I wanted to ask the doc about this, not necessarily because it's an area of passion or expertise of yours, but you and I both have an interest in motom about share. So this was there was a paper done a while ago. So I'm actually just reading an article about the paper. It's really brief. I want to share it with you, and then I want your thoughts because it's essentially about I'm not even going to tell you.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: The article is called the Power of Placebo. What happens when you believe you're taking steroids? Fifteen athletes were scattered around a room. Everyone was looking at Gideon Ariel. That's the researcher. We're going to give you steroids. He lied. It was nineteen to seventy two in Ariol was conducting a study on athletic performance with his research partner William Saville. On this particular day, the two men were offering the athletes an interesting proposition. Ariel explained that the study would last for eleven weeks. The athletes would lift weights for the first seven and those who made the most improvement during the first seven of eleven would be rewarded with a four week program of Diana bol and anabolic steroids. So the last four weeks of training that'd be given a steroid as part of the study to see what the difference was between pre and posts. You know, blah blah blah. What the athletes didn't know was that the researchers were lying. After the initial seven week period, they chose six athletes as the winners. However, despite being told that they were getting real steroids, they were given placebos. What happened next surprised everyone. So four weeks later, when they conducted the final testing after four weeks in inverted commas of steroids, the athletes said all personal records in all athletes in all lifts.
Speaker 2: Before the placebos, the lifters averaged.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go in pounds because that'll make the most sense to you five point eight pounds to their squad, So seven weeks they improved by five point eight pounds. Now, also I should point out that all of the people in their study were experienced trainers, so they weren't novices, they weren't corporates that they dragged into a gym. They were people with rock bottom of two years consistent gym experience, so they're all reasonably experienced. So before the placebos, in the first seven weeks, on average, they improved by five point eight pounds in their squad or two point six kilos. After the steroids in inverted commas they added an average so in about half the time four weeks versus seven, they added forty one point eight pounds in the following four weeks. So in the first seven weeks their lift went up on squat five point eight pounds, and then the following four went up forty one point eight that's a seven time increase in nearly half the time. And then we go to the bench press, first seven weeks a ten pound improvement, last four weeks on top of the ten, another twenty nine point three Thinking they were taking gear as the kids call it, doctor Jeff. Then this one's quite amazing military press everyone, which is essentially a sholder press vertical from the frontier chest. So military press. First seven weeks they improved by one point six pounds, and then the following four weeks on the pretend steroids, they improved by sixteen point seven pounds. So the bottom line was these guys who were you know, do and seven weeks of training just to see how much strength they could gain doing similar protocol as what they've been doing the last two or three or four or five years. They had marginal improvements. And then when they took four weeks of nothing, but they thought they were taking four weeks of something very anabolic, they blew up their previous pbs. What are your thoughts around that? Like, what comes to mind when I say shit like that to you?
Speaker 2: Well, I got two elements to respond, first and foremost. There is significant historical and modern repetitive literature on the power of the brain the mind. Let's see, the mind, the brain was the brain being the you know, the the thinking organ, the mind being the deeper interconnected thought in emotions and more. This isn't new. I mean, religions speak to this. You know, people that have certain fantastic control of what they can and can't do. The power of belief in yourself. Uh uh. This isn't new and very few people tap into this because you can train yourself to you can give yourself a placebo, but it's not if you know about it, it's not a placebo. It's just a positive you know, mental motivating direction. So so this I have no problem believing those results. What we're now the second part is what we're lacking here in that particular study is a comparative group where they actually gave someone the seeroods, because we really want to know. Okay, if if people got nothing and they had no increase, yes, and I would have said to that group, hey, you're not getting the steroids, but I want you. I want you to think you did right, pretend you did even though we're not giving you. And then another group gets the placebo, right, which is the study group in this case, and another group should actually freaking get the steroids. We have three groups, and then there's you could even add what's called a no cibo, which is kind of a negative placibo where you you say, hey, I'm going to give you this injection, which is a placebo, and it's gonna it's gonna make it harder to work out and see if those people you know could not reach their usual personal records. Like, there's there's a lot to this because you know, when when you're trying to look at cause and effect, you want to try to meet the postulates of you got to give something or at least the idea of something in this case, and then it has to have a measurab effect. Then you have to take it away again and that effect should go away, and then you give it again and you should have it again. This is all I think. These are Cox postulates or something like that. This, Yeah, you study in philosophy where you how do you what's really cause and effect and what's just correlation? So so those are my thoughts. I don't know if that added anything, but I believe this. This makes complete sense to me. So if these guys can get it with a ceilin injection, you can give yourself a mental ceilin injection or reach new personal records every day without this.
Speaker 1: The challenge is, as you said, though, once we know that we're not actually taking anything, then the belief that we're taking something disappears. And the benefit is in the belief. And are we that weak? Are we that mentally weak? I think, well, it's really interesting, isn't it, Because so there's.
Speaker 2: Like that the relationship.
Speaker 1: Between as you said, we'll go with mine, but the relationship between you know, our psychology, our minds, and our physiology is profound. Like if I think something bad's going to happen, but something bad isn't going to happen in the next five minutes, but I think it is, then my body responds as though the threat is real despite the fact that there's no threat, right, because my body can't distinguish between what is real and what I think is real. And those guys their body couldn't distinguish between what they thought was a real drug and what actually wasn't a real And so I guess that's not explaining the mechanism. But nonetheless we go, well, there's this physiological outcome which is real, provided or at least in part responsibly attributed to a thought about something like that wasn't real. Like how do we like knowing this? I've had a guy called Professor Jeffrey Reddicker from Harvard Business School on here twice, not Harvard Medical school, I should say, who's a researcher and a psychiatrist and a medical doctor and you would love him. He's fascinating. But we spoke about this. But like knowing that placebo work works is not the same as being able to turn it on, you know, because once you know that that drug's not real or that thing's not real, then it kind of makes it, you know, inert now, like this is the thing? How do we I mean the lifelong sorry but yeah, just hant If I know that I can heal myself or I know that I can make myself ridiculously stronger just by a shift in what's happening in my mind, right, how do I do that? How do I access that all the time?
Speaker 2: That that man, if you could bottle that, that's the essence, right, that's and that's how some people, you know, they will themselves out of cancer, and other people are stressed to the maximum will themselves into it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because you thoughts have a consequence, right, right consequence. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of self help programs and books and teaps me or teaps are are you know, based on the power of the mind and what you can do, and it's it could take years to master that.
Speaker 1: It's like when you dream, you know, I mean, I know this is fundamental, but just trying to you know, open the door for our audience. Like when you dream that you're in the middle of a you know, a terrible situation, but you're not. You're in bed and you're safe and everything's good. But you dream that you're in the middle of a horrible situation where your body buys into it. And then you wake up and you look around and you're good and it's good and it's all safe and there is no threat, but nonetheless your body doesn't realize that for.
Speaker 2: A while, right, I mean you, I mean this is and we're going here with neuralink, and you know, if we can if we can read waves of the brain during certain thoughts, well we can simulate those thoughts by giving those same electrical impulses back and to simulate those waves. And that's exactly what how neuralink works, right, It's like neural electro or electro neural interface. Yeah, so could we develop a neuralink that makes you think you got an antibox steroid injection? Yes, of course we can. So we're learning more about the final frontier of the brain here in medicine and in physiology, and how the brain and the mind, you know, the brain controls the mind, right, so, and how we develop that and you know, develop it in such a way that that we can use it as a tool for good. Do you know what I think?
Speaker 1: Also, Doc, I mean on a different level, but still in the same ballpark. You know, if I go to a doc, let's say I go to see you, I go to see another doctor. Then I go to see you, and I go, I've got this this pain, you know whatever, And I go and the first doctor's got terrible bedside manner for one of a better term. Yeah, you know, he's seeing thirty seven patients today. He doesn't give a fuck about me. He's backsaw, he's hungry, he's human. It's all okay. But I go in and I go and I tell him about my symptoms and then he has a worried look on his face or you know. And my point is the way that he responds to and treats and talks to me and seems too or the impression he gives me about my symptoms like that creates for me a real me personally, Like I've been in Australia, every second person gets skin cancer, right, And I've had probably fifteen basil cell carcinomis and squarema cells cut off me, and you know a bunch of stuff. And I've got a skin cancer doctor who's fucking amazing, and he's like, he can make me feel calm and relaxed in thirty seconds because he just has a way of communicating and informing and he has a certain energy. Do you ever think about how you are around patients and the impact of your energy and your communication on everything from their response in the moment to their potential healing every day?
Speaker 2: I mean that, you know, doctors are supposed to rise above whatever is ailing them and take themselves out of it when dealing with a patient, right, And I may be having a stressful, bad day, but I can't let that impact you know, what I'm trying to share with the patient. Sometimes I have to share bad news with the patient. You know, you give up. You know, when I used to work in the trauma center, I'd have to go out and meet with the families and say, look, you know your your son is dead. He's died. You know, we had we we were trained to say the word dead or died as many times as possible because it has to sink in. But you got to do it. You got to You got to do it in the solemn and upfront way, and and and the opposite too. You know, you want to give someone hope, but you want to be realistic. And there's there's a lot that goes into the bedside manner. Is is formed when you are are when you're young, and if you're ornery going into medical school, you're you better be a pathologist or an antithesiologist or something where people are asleep or dead.
Speaker 1: How much to what? To what level is empathy a good thing or a bad thing when you're at the call face of that kind of job, like when you're dealing with really hard, hard conversations, hard medical challenge. Is this an advantage or disadvantage?
Speaker 2: It's a I think it's an advantage as long as we balance it right. Because when you give bad news and you're also giving okay, you've got you know, someone, let's say you give them a cancer diagnosis, but there are treatments, and you know, you give them hope, but you want to say, you know, I have one professor that just couldn't couldn't give the downside. Oh we'll help you. Don't worry, don't worry, you know, but you can't. You can't say that. You have to be realistic and you have to give them the actual evidence. So you know, this is a tough diagnosis. We're going to do everything we can. We'll give you all the options, we'll go over the statistics about how how these play out with certain treatments and will help you make a good decision. So sorry. You know, empathy has a rule there, but it can't cloud the the giving of facts and evidence.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a left turn. What's happening, what's new or what's evolving or what is on the horizon in terms of anti aging or what's happening right now? And I know that's very broad and there's a million things, but like, what has your attention? What what are you excited about? What can you teach us?
Speaker 2: Well, what's what's happening here and exploding over the last since we talked a month ago. As you know, the peptides and we've talked about those briefly before. But peptides are just they're everywhere, and pure are identifying new peptides they're becoming available. Uh, and we're we are seeing some really cool things with peptides, bioregulators, therapeutic peptides, all kinds of things like this is this is going to continue to expand and become I think one of the earliest and longstanding ways to address symptoms problems associated with disease and aging. M So, I don't know if you have access to those in your in your.
Speaker 1: It's minimal, like everything is massively regulated here. And yeah, there's just like we spoke about last time, just now where I mean like, yeah, you can accessing homeland therapy like TRT for men who need it. Is I mean, it's it's almost impossible. Peptides are pretty much in the same I don't know. Australia seems to be very very slow to get its head around the fact that, you know, like happy to sell you one hundred cigarettes at a time that you can smoke this afternoon, you know, but for God's sake, don't take any testosterone or don't put a peptide in your body. You know. It's just I think we're a little bit in the dark ages.
Speaker 2: Well we still you know here, it's still under you know, they call it research, right, you have to get these under research. But yeah, but there's so much distrust in government and what government recommends that. Yes, if government says one thing, you know, people go the other way. So it's it's it's it's fairly straightforward to our team them. Here in the US, there's so many online websites you can buy them. They're not a traditional medical treatment per se unless they're approved as such, like insulin or GLP one agonist like the ozembics and a glue tat ta. Yeah, both we take. We take these all the time. Melatonin is a peptide, for example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right, Yeah, we spoke about that last time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In Australia, you can only get it if you're over the counter two milligrams if you're fifty five or older. Other than that, it's got to be on a prescription. And I think also a big difference between the States and here is pretty much the laws are the same across Australia, whereas you have state to state cannabis is legal, it's illegal. You know that there's a bunch of like state to state variations in terms of what's okay to do and what's what okay to do is.
Speaker 2: That air you have? We have civil cold war. I'm not so cold here. You think about the American Civil War, we can dive into history for a minute. The American Civil War was based upon a federal law where some states decided they didn't like that federal law and they would have their own state law. It was different. So we have that now. We've had it over cannabis. Right, we have the federal government still saying no and many states saying yes. And at least until recently, we were so over governmentalized and federalized that the federal side was winning. So this whole concept about the states making their own decisions, which was really part of our initial tapestry, you know, this popular sovereignty. So until recently that has that has been you know, quashed, but I think we might be coming back. So we have that. We have that now in stem cells. The state of Utah and I think recently the state of Arkansas have approved certain claims on stem cells where the federal government does not approve any claims on stem cells. By the way, mark, we're talking marketing claims.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So as as much as we have free speech in America, we have it until we don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And is that is that something that's embraced by people like the potential of using stem cell therapy and is it you know, is it on the rise because it seems to be like part of the future anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's part of the present here, and the people that seek it should have access to it. I haven't met a patient that hasn't been the least interesting and talking about it or has heard of it and wants to talk about it. The big controlling factor there as many patients, Uh, the health insurance won't pay for it because it's so governmentally controlled that that they can't do it even if they want to. So the only people that are really fighting against it would be those people in the big pharma sector or those people who stand to you know, like make money from alternatives.
Speaker 1: Mmmmm yeah. What about when we think about anti aging, is like how much of that is about I mean, there are a lot of variables, but how much of it is about environment and climate and situation and circumstance and you know, just just the way that you do life. I mean, is that is that a variable that we can manage without having to without any kind of medical or clinical intervention? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think the vast majority of we'll call it lifestyle factor management is the controller for anti aging. This is called epigenetics, and recent publications on this suggest the same. Even though we used to think it was more genetics than anything. Right fifty years ago they said, wow, you're sixty and you look great and you're still active. You must have good genes. Well now we say you must have really earned it, because it's it's it's about what you put into it over the longest period of time. It's the area under the curve of time and effort. Like anything.
Speaker 1: My mom and dad have both had heart attacks, and my mom's had cancer three times, and you know they're somehow both still around at eighty five, right, So they're resilient if nothing else. But I I've you know, since I was young. Obviously, I've worked in fitness and health, but I've done everything humanly possible, I think, to try to optimize what I have to work with. But I'm still aware that that's, you know, like all I can control is all I can control, you know. So I still have high blood pressure, which is just genetic. Don't smoke, don't drink, I ate two meals a day, I train every day, I'm lean, but I still have high blood pressure. So there's some things we just need to manage, right.
Speaker 2: I mean we the more we put into controlling our environment, like you said, exercise, hormesis, diet supplements, aversion to bad things, you know, And it could be in the environment, It could be in the water source, could be what you choose at the grocery store, those kinds of things you call them grocery stores there, Craig, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Close enough. Well, probably supermarkets, but I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big ones we call supermarkets as well. So the that that's the main contributor to how you end up. So you know, you put you've always put a lot of effort into that, and maybe in part because you saw your parents and you thought, oh yeah, yeah, I gotta, I gotta, I gotta make an effort here if I want to have a healthy life, healthy long life, a good health span.
Speaker 1: This is a psychology question. Then I've got a couple of specific rand eyed questions for you. But my site question is why do you.
Speaker 2: Think that.
Speaker 1: It often takes a catastrophe or knee catastrophe for people to go, oh fuck, I'm going to change my life.
Speaker 2: Well, uh, if you if you're if you're plane encounters a wind, it can easily correct course and get back on that course. And that course is the path of least resistance. It's it's known, it's it's easy. Big changes are hard, and uh, you know, you've got to shock the system to really to really get that. So I think, I think to reach that level of stress or or catastrophe or whatever it is, is what we And we see this too, and I see this in medicine all the time. Right, someone has a heart attack and then they Okay, I guess now I should get in shape, you know, a little late to the party, but it does help prevent the next one. And you know, things like a family member getting cancer makes you start to behave differently something like that. So it just it takes something that's drastic life or death life changing to be life changing. And also I feel darc like where.
Speaker 1: We're so hard I don't know, maybe evolutionarily when not, but it seems like in twenty twenty five we're very hardwired for comfort, Like we love fucking comfort.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, I agree with you one hundred percent. Yeah, we have our routine. We know it's easily manageable, you know, foods that are easy to come by, or prepare nighttime activities, you know, you know, instead of you know, physical We were sitting around on the couch here and yeah, which is great American pastime, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we love I mean, we love certainty, we love predictability, we love instant gratification, we love fucking magic pills, we love quick fixes, we love all things easy. But it's in the doing of the easy that we actually deprive ourselves from building strength and resilience and adaptability and capability because we're always choosing that the most convenient, most comfortable thing, which for a minute is going to be all, but eventually you're going to be hit with a reality stick. Can you get to go fucking hell? I can't cope with anything that's even slightly uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: It's profound. Actually, I agree with you one hundred percent. Think about the more stress we have, the more we veer off our path, the more stuff we got to take care of or add to our plate, the more cortisol we release from the dream glands. And then if you release more cortisol, you suppress the the content and happy areas of the brain. You release fewer endorphins. So why are people happy in their own little bubble because they get more endorphins. You're getting a dose of narcotics every time. You know, you're lazy. Now, there are some people who thrive on the benefits of exercising. It can actually get the endorphins from that. So you really got to get over into that hump. But I agree with you. I think that there's a physiologic basis for it and it but what you said is profound in that d to day it might work, but in the big picture works against us.
Speaker 1: And it seems like I mean, I get it. I love it too. It seems like a good idea, but eventually, you know, it's like as an exercise scientist, right, I've been talking to people about you know, you know, their training and their all the bullshit forever. But the amount of people who are always going to start soon you know they're not starting today. You know, friends of mine and people that would stop. I'm not talking about people who've just joined a gym, but just out and about people who talk to me and they're like, yeah, I've really got to start off it. I'm like, how about today? Today is not good? You know, like it's never now, it's never today, it's always soon, And then you look up and it's five years later and it's still fucking soon. It's still not today, it's still not now, right, And the thing is that, you know, like the thing that we need to do to live our values or to get the best out of ourselves is often not the thing that we want to do in the moment, so we're always putting that on some kind of to do list, but not today. You know, there's so that you know, and then you wake up. I did a corporate gig yesterday and it was anyway, it went really well. It was a really nice session. One of the things that I do is, you know, say, look, don't overthink this, but who wants to change their body in some way whatever that means, you know, just change the way that your body works or functions, you know, feels, and every hand goes up, hundreds of hands go up, and then I go cool, who's going to do the work starting today? And then like no, hands go up, right. So there's a big difference between what I would like to happen and what I'm going to make happen, because one requires no effort and one requires is all the effort.
Speaker 2: How many of your friends and colleagues have had this great idea, maybe for a patent or a process or and but have never done anything except tell you about their idea and say, or when someone else executes on that idea, they say, oh, I had that idea years ago, but you sat on it. So you know, there's a saying, uh that I don't completely love. It's called knowledge is power. You hear that one before? Well, in my mind, knowledge is is cool, But executing on knowledge that's the power. Got it? You got to not just want it, You got to do that. You got to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. And this this you know, in terms of starting, let me give you some financial advice, Craig, because I'm you know, I'm a financial whiz.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: The best The best time to invest is yesterday. Yeah. Yeah, So if you didn't, if you want to start a workout plan, you're already behind. For those of you sitting around on the couch. And and I didn't mean that judgmentally because I do also sometimes sit on the couch. Now, thank God for my wife. She's uh, she said, you know what we haven't been good about the gym since COVID. We go here and there, we do our walks we started. In the last five weeks, we've been hitting. I'm going to give a plug for pilates here to get back in shape. Pilates is kicking my reader.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so are you doing the reform A bad one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We do get up, stand up and do some things as well, but it's reformer base and I'm working different leg muscles and things I didn't realize I was going to have to in life. So it's been great. I've been putting my muscle mass back on, having a little protein drink as we talk in my protein and I I can't thank her enough for making sure we get up and she even once she's like, let's do that six am class. I'm like, okay, crazy lady, let's go. Okay, Well, we get up and we go, we get o and then we come back and then get ready for work.
Speaker 1: So I just really love her.
Speaker 2: I really do. And man, she looks good on a reformer.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll try not think about that too much, but I'm with you. I'm with you in the you know, it's it's like what you know, as you said, knowledge is great. Knowledge is knowledge is potential power, depending on what we do or don't do with it. You know, it's like even with these I've said this too many times to my listeners, but you know, we've literally got somewhere around two thousand hours two thousand hours of content online, and you know, listening is good and being inspired or informed or educated or amused or entertained is good. And if your only reason for listening is because you just want to listen, that's then tickety boot, tick the box, You've done it. But if one of your reasons for listening is because there's stuff that you want to change, if you want to change how you look, feel, function, operate, the way that you communicate, the way that you self regulate, the way that you manage your mind and your emotions and choices and behaviors and outcomes, then listening does fuck all. It's like, listening is good, but it's like what can I operationalize? What do I know? And what am I doing with what I know regarding what I need to change? And that is the you know, because there and I mean this with respect to all of our listeners, of course, but it's like listening and knowing stuff requires not much effort, not much effort, but actually taking that theory and transforming it from an idea and intention, a plan or a goal into real world behavior. That kind of sucks. That's a different proposition, yep.
Speaker 2: So sometimes people can create an incentive for themselves. And I heard about a website or an app on the phone where you can deposit some money and only if you accomplish whatever goal it is, do you get the money back.
Speaker 1: That's so good. That's so good. That's well. I mean, that wouldn't work for me, but I think that would work for a lot of people. It's not the dumbest side, Like I reckon this doc. I always say to people, there's no best protocol, but there's the best protocol for you, because you know, not only not only clinically and not only from a pharmacology point of view, but psychologically. Or you know, the best workout for me might injure you, or the best workout for you might be too hard for me, or whatever. Right, And it's and where kind of similar age is should probably similar height and weight. And it's not like there's the best workout, or there's the best diet, or there's but it's trying to find you know, what is how does my body respond to these various stimuli? Like what is Some people are great with six and a half hours sleep? I wish I was because I would love to sleep less, because I would love to do more. But I can't. If I have regularly six or five and a half hours, I'm no good. My brain doesn't work the same, my body doesn't recover the same everything, right, so I need Like, what's optimal for me is about eight hours. What's optimal for me is two meals a day. What's optimals for me is regular traditional strength training. And that's because I've been an n equals one project my whole life, and I know how my mind, body, emotions respond to various stimuli, right, And I think part of this is people being able to try and test things for themselves, you know, not in a reckless way, but in a sensible way to learn how to operate their own body.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. Everyone is an individual, and your physiologic needs are different than someone else's. You work out every day, which is maybe another reason why you need that eight hours. I would imagine that more sedentary people don't need eight hours because they don't need as much cellular repair at night and rebuild. But in the long run, you're doing good things for yourself. So it comes back to the incentive. You're motivated. Everyone has their own why why? What would it take? Yes, you know why should I do this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: What's your why here? You know a lot of business people like to do that, you know in their marketing. What's the why why should I buy an iPhone? Yeah, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And I think also with this, like we're really talking about I talk to people a lot about what is the thing that is going to best work for you? And how do we turn that ideal behavior or you know, protocol? How do we turn that into a habit? So that now this is just part of your normal operating system. This is not something that you need self control, willpower, discipline, focus, inspiration. You can't do that, Like, you can't do that or be that every day. So how do I how do I operationalize certain things and turn them into hardwired habits? So now this is just what I do on autopilot. This is not what I do when I'm in the zone. This is my new normal, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's part of your your regular day. It's you feel funny if you don't do it, you you're yeah, I agree with you. Yeah, So these habits are formed, right, you start small, but continuum. You do it once or once, then it's twice, and it's a tradition and et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yes. One of the things I get asked a lot is how you how do you stay so motivated to do this and that? And I go, I don't, like, I don't stay motivated like it's just like, you don't need to get inspired to clean your teeth, Like nothing in your mind goes will I or wont I clean my teeth today? Because it's a hardwired thing, you know. Then you go, oh, well, what if I extrapolate that kind of reality into whatever it is a daily walk, a daily run, or healthy eating. So now I don't need to white knuckle it through the next three months of trying to live up to this standard that's not maintainable with willpower, you know.
Speaker 2: And now we're coming full circle back to the Placebo study. What is that it'sil switch to go from not doing something to doing something, or go from not reaching a personal record to reaching a personal record? Yes, what is that? That thing is Are we tapping back into that same brain center where the placebo works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think the thing is belief rot It's like belief is the magic. Like if you believe that you're taking something, your body responds according to the belief.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think you are sending signals to your body like, hey, I got a steroid. I will be growing so I can work harder, I can lift harder, I'll be able to take it now it won't hurt as much. You know, you're right. I think it turns into a The belief and motivation centers are probably very closely related. And when you look at motive, let's look at motivation for a minute. Yeah, because again this is probably the thing that holds people back the most. When you look at motivation, we know this. It's driven by tassosterone. It's probably located in the frontal lobe prefrontal lobe, because you look at people with seizures and strokes and things, and they can lose motivation to do anything. The pre frontal lobe is more of a planning area. Let's say I want to swing on my golf club. Uh, A part of my brain has to go, Okay, you're gonna get your golf club, You're gonna wind it up behind you, You're gonna get your stance, You're going to address the ball, et cetera. You know, there's that whole plan in the motor planning area or activity planning area. So there's something about stimulating those. So when you if you look at a group of at least guys, for example, if I'm sorry in your vernacular blokes, you taught me how to say blokes last.
Speaker 1: Time, I think, yeah, good boy, good boy, go right.
Speaker 2: Thank you. So if you look at a bunch of blokes and you look at how many if you give them, Let's say you did a study and you get a thousand blokes and you give you give, you know, all of them a list of three tasks that are ranging and challenge from you know, flosh your teeth every day to set a new personal record, and how long you can hold a plank. You know, I'm a feeling that the percentage of people that accomplish those will be related to their testosterone level. More testosterone, the more likely they are to accomplish and be motivated to accomplish. So now we could do another study. Since we're now study designers by virtue of this conversation where we would we would take that placebo group and we would expand it because that was a small study, didn't you say it was like six people or something and ended up with six yep, six six were the winners that got the But you take a larger group and you give them a placebo and you're going to get better data out of that. And you say, yeah, because it's not going to be all of them are going to reach your personal record. And I would say those who reached the higher personal record, I wonder if we could correlate that to their testosterone level. Wow, wow, I have a feelingsterone replacement therapy is so good because it helps people get stuff done and stay healthier. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also what's interesting over here and I know in the States, like I heard halle Berry talking to this is this is what comes up on my Instagram. By the way halle Berry talking to I'm going to say Drew Barrymore. Yes, yeah, how about they're both taking testosterone and you know, chasing their husband relentlessly around the house, you know, tongue in cheek haha, and how amazing they feel. So it's not just a bloke thing, right, It's not just a bloke thing.
Speaker 2: I said that because I think we would be easy easier to study in blokes. But yeah, listen, hormone optimization or replacement therapy is a big deal. If we haven't talked about this already, you know, this came out, This came from three or four decades ago. And people notice that as you age, your sex hormone levels declined. So and man it's mostly testosterone and women it's estrogens, progestins or progesterone and testosterone. Well so they said, oh, as you age, these go smaller, we'll just watch them go smaller, go lower. Well, as it turns out that we might have had the cause and effectron and you might age because they go low. So what if we were to replace him? And that started years ago and it was very cutting edge, and you know, people like Suzanne Summers wrote a book about it. And this is the basis of preventative or anti aging hormone replacement treatment. If you look at women, those who start hormone replacement therapy in their premenopause tend to prolong their menopause in a good way, like push it off.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: They tend to, and now we have enough data to say they live longer. We also know that women who have periods longer without replacement live longer because internally they're exposed to more hormones. We know that women who have later pregnancies in life live longer because they have prolonged those feminine cycles. We also know same in men. Testosterones needed for muscle maintenance. We know in men and women hormones are needed to maintain bone density, and both muscle mass and bone ensity are correlated with survival and health span. So the conclusion is hormone replacement therapy isn't probably the best thing you could easily do on a medical side, aside from exercise, to really prolong a healthy life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so funny that it's so controversial, Like if I've got low iron, they go, well, let's supplement with ion, or if I'm calcium deficient, let's wax some calcis him in there, let's whatever, you know, let's change your diet. Or if I'm you know, whatever, you're lacking, or they don't go, yeah, we'll craig your old. So just fucking have shit bone density, you know. So that's what happens when you're old. Your bones break. So there's that, but we can't treat it. But when it comes to especially for guys, I think for hormones, it's like, well, of course you've got low testosterone. You're fifty five, so sixty you're sixty five, so but you're in the normal range. Yeah, we're at all gay, Yeah yeah, yeah. And like I was talking to an old guy who's I can't remember how old you are, but I think you're younger than me. But anyway, I was talking to a guy the other day. He's sixty seven and.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: I felt so sorry for him, Like he's a really good dude. He's sad, he's depressed, but he's not Matt.
Speaker 2: He's trying, he goes.
Speaker 1: I just like he full disclosure, zero sex drive, doesn't enjoy anything like to me, everything that he was, but he really wants to be better. Like he's exercising, his diet's good, he's doing. But I just think, and I'm no doctor, right, but I just think his testosterone through the floor, and I I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think it's like he's got new spark plugs, he's got new tires, but there's no oil in the in the engines, so he still can't go. So you got you gotta get that. I agree with you. It's probably the first thing I would look at with someone like that. I think most you know, I think also your mood, you cranky curmudgeons, are probably low in testosterone.
Speaker 1: And that's one of the funny things too, is like with testosterone, they say, oh, guys are on testosterone are angry. I'm like, have you ever met guys with no testosterone?
Speaker 2: The no, the anger comes with super normal testosterone also, so you'd have to be sick. We're not talking about making someone into the incredible hulk. We're talking about replacing that youthful vigor they had when they were in their twenties and thirties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not talking about tiking steroids out the back of a penal van or a youth or as you would call it, a truck from a blug in the car pock of the gym. I'm not talking about that.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like in Australia you might have to if you want to get it.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's very prevalent.
Speaker 2: Don worry about that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean that's yeah, it's everybody's got a guy who knows a guy. You know.
Speaker 2: Listen, if you're Australian, you could take a trip to probably Philippines, Singapore, somewhere not too far and get you know, the palettes toostrou palates. They dissolve over four to six months. You can go twice a year. Just get that done.
Speaker 1: Really does that? I don't know much about that.
Speaker 2: Does that?
Speaker 1: This is a dumb question, but does it work? Is it the same?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, they work? The you know the There are multiple ways to get to sasstrone number one topical. It could be a cream or a patch and some people don't absorb it well or get enough that way, but that might be a way when you're younger. If you want a little bit. Two, you can inject it. You can inject it into your muscle. Usually that's every week or every month, depending on how much you're giving. You can also inject it subcutaneous, just a little teeny injection under the skin, and that can be daily. That tends to be a lot. That's now that A lot of peptide stuff we do is like that. And then you can get pellets, which is just under the skin and they dissolve over time. They're pretty good absorption. There's a new oral form that I don't know enough about and can't tell you if it's effective. There are also some medications that block the breakdown, like this and in chlomophine and stuff like that. I don't know a ton about it, and I try to stay away from pharmaceuticals. I'd rather we use the bioidentical hormonial body made throughout its entire life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, makes sense. I wanted to ask you just one thing before we go, which is completely irrelevant to everything else we've spoken about in Australia and I'm sure in America, but there's just a lot of debate at the moment around seed oils and a lot of hysteria.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I don't know if could you give us your thoughts on that, not as the final word, but just your thoughts because I'm interested.
Speaker 2: There's compelling evidence that the seed oils monkey with our fat metabolism and could be the cause for various cancer's coronary arter disease, which really peaked up after the nineteen forties in America, which is pretty much when people were shifting from beef tallow beef and pork fats, you know, bacon grease to these these vegetable oil replacements which were designed, as you know, an engine lubricant, to be fair. Yes, yes, so we're now we now have enough longtudinal data to look back and say, this looks like it was a problem, and diabetes and obesity and all that appears to be potentially affected adversely by that. So I don't want people to be hysterical, but I think you should avoid seed oils to the extent that you can. So even you know, we're starting to see a move in America. Even some of the fast food restaurants are using beef talow to make their French frise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I saw that came up on my timeline as well. If it's a franchise we don't have here. I can't remember the nine, but yeah, they've gone back to to you using bave tella, which is and I think what's his name, RFKI is a big proponent of getting rid of all of that, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The sea or I don't think. I think Robert F. Kennedy is junior is interested in giving people choices, but letting them know transparently what's good and what's bad. And you know the problem here, of course is cost in shelf life. Right, most of the foods in America are highly preserved, lots of chemicals. Why so they can sit on the shelf until they're sold, you know, in these big supermarket chains and then you know, otherwise, most fresh fruit, fresh food doesn't last that long, has expiration dates, so companies lose money if they don't sell it.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: So you know, there was a time when we had trouble feeding our country and and and these things were developed, but now that's not an issue generally speaking. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, as always, Doc, love chatting with you. I feel like I meandered a little bit, so I apologize. I don't think that was my best I love it as always, you were fucking fabulous.
Speaker 2: Well by the same, Well bye a fair but.
Speaker 1: For the moment, Doc, thanks for your time and thanks for being part of the You project. We really appreciate you always.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. Look forward to talking. Hopefully some of your audience will write in some topics and questions that we can we can also cover that might be of interest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good idea. So what I'll do is good idea. See, that's why we've got you. You should be the producer of the show. So everyone on that go to you Project Facebook page, the New Project Facebook page, and yeah, any questions that you've got for the doc to unpack and explore. I'll also do a promo another promo saying what I'm saying right now a week or a few days out from our next recording. But anything that you'd like the doc to explore. New Project podcast facebook page is about. I think we've got a little community of about four thousand people on there, but go and be part of that gang. And yeah, that'd be great. All right mate, we'll say goodbye a fair but again, thank you.
Speaker 2: Great to see you.