Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Christian, ami it It's Tuesday, August four, twenty twenty six. Just fifty five people have been employed through a thirty two million dollar government program designed to help employers diversify their workforce. That's despired a pledge by the government to get fifteen hundred people into work over three years. The Royal Commission into Antisemitism and Social Cohesion will hear evidence about a violent protest at the Sydney Opera House on October ninth, twenty twenty three, in a new block of public hearings starting today. Israeli flags were burned and anti Semitics lures were hurled at the demonstration, which came just two days after Hummas militants slaughtered twelve hundred Jews in southern Israel and took two hundred and fifty women, children and elderly people hostage. Ghost stories alive right now at Australian dot com dot au. The Albanezy government wanted to turn down the temperature on Australia's housing market and help young people get a foot onto the property ladder, But just months after Labour's property tax shakeup. Home values are crashing, investors are running scared, and taxpayers are underwriting billions of dollars of debt. So was this all part of the plan. The Australian's Political editor, Jeff Chambers is here in just a moment. The property market is recording its worst auction clearance rates in nearly a decade. We are seeing the first fallouts of the federal budget, which are driving by a uncertainty.
Speaker 2: Australia has experienced its sharpest monthly fall and house prices in nearly four years, as interest rates and tax changers take a combined.
Speaker 1: Jeff Chambers is The Australian's Political editor and Jeff, it's been a couple of months now since the Albanezy government announced a pretty major shake up to Australia's property tax legislation.
Speaker 3: We'll limit negative gearing for residential property to new builds from July next year, and we're replacing the fifty percent capital gains tax discount with inflation adjusted indexation to restore the taxation of real gains.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's all working out as intended?
Speaker 4: From the Labor government's perspective, this is how they wanted things to pan out. They want house prices to fall. They want first home buyers to have a leg up, and even if that means that auction clearance rates aren't at the same level as they were, If that means four months straight of property values going down for the Albanesi government from Anthony Albernesi and Jim Charmers down, this was their intention. So they do have some policies in place to support that, which was around crackdown on negative gearing, capital gains, discount trusts, but that still got a bit of a wall to play out. The key driver that we're seeing is sort of multi folded in terms of you know, we've got all these A lot of them are Coalition Morrison government era COVID programs intended to help first home buyers get into the market. This has generally been a state and territory based issue that under Scott Morrison has now become a national issue and it's been put on steroids. So all the reasonable caps, checks and balances have been removed by this government. It's cut blanche. It's a free for all. So you're trying to now invite these first home buyers in. It doesn't matter how old they are. It doesn't matter how much money they're earning. The caps on how much in terms of the value of the home is enormous. And then you've got interest rates also higher. So it's that sort of combined feel for investors who feel like, Okay, this market it's not looking too good at the moment, and that confidence is out. So yes, you might get more first home buyers in, but the overall value of the property market since March quarter, which was twelve point seven seven trillion, we've now seen up to one hundred and seventy billion dollars of that value shaped off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Senior Labor ministers like Tenure Plippisec are saying, as you said, that this policy is all being executed as planned, that it's making home ownership more achievable for more people. There's never been a better time to be a first home buyer. Not in my lifetime has there been a better time to be a first home buyer in Australia.
Speaker 5: I'm so happy to see.
Speaker 1: The Treasurer of Jim Chalmers has said, actually it's the conflict in the Middle East that's causing the market to kind of spiral, and that Labour's policies will cause home values to increase, albeit slower than they were before.
Speaker 5: And so all of those things together are playing a role here, not just one factor or another. And we continue to expect over the course of the coming years that prices will continue to rise, but more modestly than before.
Speaker 1: But it seems that young people, who ostensibly this policy was desig to help get into homes aren't coming into the market at the rate that perhaps the government anticipated, and equally, investors are hesitating because the value on new builds just isn't there in the long term. Of course, new builds are exempted from the changes to negative gearing that was announced on Federal budget night. So what do you make of the messaging that's coming out of the government on this issue.
Speaker 4: Yes, so we've got labor politicians out every day since the budget and they use this line that was in the budget supplementary papers and they say that the property market will grow but a bit slower. In fact, since the budget, the property market hasn't grown. That Treasury wording it jumped out to me at the time. That is very optimistic, That is very unlikely to be fact. But it's a typical case of treasury and bureaucrats trying to prop up the political outcomes that were wanted by this government, and what were those outcomes. Well, the equation was made through count focus groups and polling that labor had to make a big play for the younger generations. So we hear a lot about polling. And if any Australian has asked, and this is the same for a whole range of issues, do you think it would be a good thing for these younger guys to crack the market and house prices might come down a little bit. Well, a grand parent or a parent might say, well, yeah, look, I think that is a good thing if that helps, you know, Jimmy or Johnny or whatever it might be get the market. Well, I'm happy with that. Now, if you were to say something a bit more specific to these people, say well, your house values and to go down from one point five to one million, are you okay with that? You're going to get a different result. There's a lot of debate over why the market is the way it currently is. Is it because of interest rates? Wasn't just too high as it was, but this government has certainly distorted the market to a point where I think we are seeing a crashing confidence and we are seeing material impacts at auctions in the major capital cities and further afield. But I think the issue is we're seeing people, particularly those under these government schemes last year, who have paid a lot of money with some government support, and then you talk about negative equity, and I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding, probably on purpose, across the government ranks, about negative equity, and when they're asked about negative equity and the risk that is carried through negative equity, they often will just say, well, we're just happy that these younger people or first home buyers are crack in the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Our colleague Noah Yim reported that the government's decision to remove the cap on the First home Buyers Guarantee scheme, which allows people to buy a property with as little as a five percent deposit with the government guaranteeing that loan, that that means that tax payers are now underwriting couples making in some instances almost seven hundred thousand dollars a year combined. They would previously have been ineligible for that scheme because they're earning too much. Again, labor ministers like ten ycond Jim Chalmers have been optimistic about that, again, saying it's making this more achievable for more people. But is it actually just putting up more roadblocks to people who genuinely need a scheme like that in order to get onto the property ladder.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think this has been a common theme since the Albanezi government was elected in twenty twenty two, whether it was EV subsidies or in these housing areas. They don't love means testing and they don't like capping programs, and that means it costs a lot of money to underwrite these things, to fund these types of schemes, and I think some economists are correct to call a lot of these programs middle to upper class welfare, middle class welfare. What is the true intention of this? Is it to buy boats? Is it to try and support their political hopes that these younger folks that they help into a home will always remember we've got to support labor. Or is it really about getting genuine first home buyers people in their twenties thirties, not people from overseas, not people who are older people who are supposed to get into a home. Does that home have to be in a nicer suburb? Well, a lot of older folk who did buy their home will argue that they had to go out and buy in the verbs. And I think that's the problem that we see a lot with younger people is they want to be close to home, They want to be close to their families. But sometimes, you know, you got to you got to make the sacrifice and make those hard decisions. But when these governments are just doing these open ended schemes, all very generous schemes, why wouldn't you tap into it? I mean, I wish. I'm sure if I had an opportunity again and this was available, I would probably do the same thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other issue that is incredibly hot here that also weaves into this issue is migration. Tell me a little bit about how that's factoring into the situation we now find ourselves in.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's you know, this is a labor government that back in twenty twenty three pledged that they would build one point two million new well located homes by mid twenty twenty nine. We're way off that we're not going to hit that mark. And that's a real shame because one point two million on it's sort of just a pretty moderate year of where we've been traditionally in recent years that should have been able to be achieved. So you've got all these issues with the housing market. Everyone's obsessed with talking about the housing market, so you look for something to go, well, okay, why are we in this position? Well, it must be immigration, and immigration covers so many areas. It covers transport, networks, community infrastructure, housing supply. And we have had this huge surge in post pandemic migration, two record levels, and those people have to live somewhere. So we see one nation and now the coalition following one nation leaning very heavily into that area, calling for restrictions in terms of who can purchase property in this country.
Speaker 2: And I don't believe that foreigners should own any house in Australia or our farming land. My attitude is i'd actually stop them, and I'd say I'll give you two years to sell your product. If you don't, it will be And.
Speaker 4: Then you've got labor holding the line around their migration program. And I think a lot of that again, you know, being cynical as a political journalist is because of vote getting. You know, there's a lot of areas where you've got big multicultural communities. But the fact there is a lot of those multicultural communities, a lot of them have come into this country the right way. They themselves are very frustrated. They look around and think, ah, this is a problem too. So you get the true issues around supply and demand, but then you get these tangential issues which are real issues too, which takes in migration. And I think come the next election, whether it's later next year or early twenty twenty eight, migration will absolutely be a hot button issue for voters.
Speaker 1: Just lastly, Jeff, we've been here once before when the then Treasurer at Paul Keating attempted to quarantine as it was called at the time, negative gearing that push rents, particularly in Australia's capital cities as investors attempted to recoup some of the financial losses that they made as a result of that decision. That was reversed by the hawk Keating government just two years later in nineteen eighty seven, and it's been a pretty hot issue in elections ever since then, and particularly since Bill Shorten introduced that as a policy and lost at an election. If I can ask you to look into your crystal ball for a second, do you think we'll see a similar reversal from the Albanese government if this situation gets bad enough, or do you think that they will stay the course, Noting that we're still a couple of years out from an election and there is time for the electorate and for the market to.
Speaker 4: Settle, they're going to stay the course. This is their big generational reform play. They'll live or die by this. They've all been wanting to do this for a long time. The argument is that it's a different time to when Bill Shorten tried to do this in twenty nineteen. Bill Shorten, I'm sure we'll disagree with that, but this is their big generational reform piece. The long term effects it'll come outside the election cycle. And I spoke about the one point two million target for new homes that comes in mid twenty twenty nine, So you realize a lot of these guys targets will come after the next election, and whoever's in charge, then good luck. If they win the next election, there's going to be a lot of things where the government hasn't met the expectations that they've set for voters.
Speaker 1: Jeff Chambers, thank you very much. Thanks Jeff Chambers, is The Australian's political editor. You can read the latest in Newssport, business and politics right now at the Australian dot com dot au