Speaker 1: Hi'm my Boris and this is straight talk.
Speaker 2: You can be my friend, you can be the biggest asshole. I will still kill you on there. It's the job to be done.
Speaker 1: Freggus album to straight talk, make Mark thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Let's not go and act as a Sean Strickland. Fights are entertaining. I'm there to give the people a show, a fight, and I'm in there to kill someone. I'm not in there to point my way to victory.
Speaker 1: You just said you're going there to kill somebody. I mean that that's a mindset. How do you become that person?
Speaker 2: I'm fighting a guy in front of millions of people that wants to kill me, and I want to kill him. That's all the motivation you need. I'm pretty hyped up when I get out there.
Speaker 1: Pereira, what would you ask him?
Speaker 2: How's it going to feel to be in Sean Strickland's corner losing again?
Speaker 1: Ask him that, what's the next thing for you?
Speaker 2: Now? Becoming world champion as a big, big step, but this is not the end. My final step is being the greatest to ever do the sports. Along the way, being double champed is one of the steps to choose that.
Speaker 1: Joregus want them to straight talk. Mate, thanks for having me more importantly to Sydney.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And then you're here for this astral Day long weekend which has just passed. How was that mate? What was it like? I mean you obviously didn't go out and get on it because so ready was it was?
Speaker 2: It sucked to be honest, because I could just see it's like a public holiday and you can see people are just having the best time and I just say no, tell. I went out and we went we got something to eat and I could just see everybody having the best times. And I'm like, after the fight, I'll have my Australia Day.
Speaker 1: Because I'm off mine. About fighters, I mean, do you go through like say twelve weeks prep fight then, so like I don't have to fight now for where I'm gonna fight again in June, so I'm gonna have a month off. Do you have a month off? Something happened?
Speaker 2: So sometimes you are forced to take off because of injury. Yeah, and it is good, you know you get these guys. A lot of guys do that. So they'll fight I have come, they'll take off for a month and sometimes even longer. I can't do that like taking off for a month, I will forget how to do what I do and what am I going to do for that whole month. So it's less intense. I'll take off. I'll ever long I need. Sometimes mostly I'll fight this Saturday, Sunday. Next day I'll be at least go for a run. If the next day, the next day, I mean, yeah, if you if you're not injured, because you know, if you do this your whole life. I've been fighting professional now since I was nineteen years on the only job I've ever had, So what else am I going to do? It's what I know. It makes me feel good to train so and especially after a fight, you immediately start thinking about what you could have done better and the things you can improve on, and then you want to start working. But it's very important to take that break. Earlier in my career, I couldn't. I couldn't do it and couldn't switch off, and that that adds up. It gets to you, and then then it's not the pressure. You started losing the fun. If I can say.
Speaker 1: It, yeah, and you've got to love it too.
Speaker 2: You have to love it. And now I absolutely love it and did you get that obsessed, you start and you just want to go go. You start not appreciating the winds as much, and I find that being more devastating than anything, because then you're just thinking about what's next, what's next, focus on what just happened. Take it in, go on a week, two weeks, breakaway and come back and start working again. Said what to do?
Speaker 1: You got like family? Obviously got family, but are you married?
Speaker 2: Do you have a fiance? And I'm very close to my mom, dad, and my brothers and their wives and kids. So that's that's that's a breakaway for me, spending time with them because in a fire camp, now there's that's only it's a selfish sport. It's only me the fight ahead, and everything takes a back seat. So that's the time to really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That's interesting you're say, and I'm glad you sort of made that a mission. It is a selfage game. At what point does someone like you say, and I don't even know if you thought it was, say it's time me to settle down and maybe marry, have kids, have families, because or would you happy to do that and have kids the same time, like volk is your family of kids, a couple of daughters married, Any fights do you say to yourself, now, I wait, I get my fight game over, then I'll settle down. How does that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a you get two minds on that. I mean in most guys, a lot of guys, especially champions guys all in the career you have to start, you know, because I want to have a family or wife and kids. But I'm thirty years old now, I only got engaged very recently. And yeah, it's something you have to think about because you know, I have so much respect for a guy like Vulk, even a guy like Rob doing what they're doing. And I mean I can only imagine because it's not like they are just dads. They are involved that you can see it. And you know, I look at my dad. My dad gave me everything like that was it was running a business. He was looking after us very well. He didn't miss a single game, didn't miss a single anything that I did, me or my two older brothers. And you know where I am right now, I can honestly say in terms of what he gave me materialist, he never mattered. But to know the support that I got and how much it meant to me to see him at every game and how I wanted to play and be better for him. When I played rugby, you know, he was there every single game. I actually did dancing at a stage when I was younger. He didn't miss a dance. He didn't miss anything I ever did, me or my brothers, And that means more to me than anything ever. And to this day, you know, he would fly when he can. He would fly to come and watch me fight. He went to every fight, drove thousands of kilometers to take us to judo tournaments. All that just out of the love. And that's more important. So when you are going to do that, That's why I so much respect for a guy like Robin Volk to be involved while doing this full time. I don't have that in me right now where I'm and in my career. Like I said, I got engaged, but I have a lot of things to do still. And you know, I know if I'm going to be your father, I'm going to be the best follow in the world. I'm want to be the same as my dad.
Speaker 1: Does that mean when you say you got lots to do, does that mean perhaps go up into a second division? Another division. I mean, what what do you have to do? I mean, you're already the champ in congratulations by the way, you defended as well, and you know, you know, against someone who's considered to be, you know, the greatest of all time in your division. What's the next thing for leg I mean, apart from defending your position?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for me right now? You know, ever since kind McGregor that it became almost a norm of being a dominant champion going up defending your title or are going up winning another title. What people have been struggling with is defending and keeping both. So I would love to be one to do that, winning both titles and defending them. But when the time is right, I believe, you know, at least three defenses before you even consider going up a weight division. You really have to dominate your division. You know, right now, I've beaten three of the guys in the top five of my division, and I think if you've gone through the whole the top five that you've beaten still top five. That's where you get to a situation where you go, well, what's next or just keep on doing rematches. I'm already rematching one guy. That's when I'll start thinking about that, but I definitely want to. It's one hundred in my part of the journey. It's the next step. Now, becoming world champion as a big, big step, but this is not the end, you know. My final step is being the greatest to ever do this sport. And along the way being double champions is one of the steps to achieve that dream.
Speaker 1: As it worked, though Driguz does just dainn to come up to you and say, hey, mate, let's maybe doesn't say mate, but Hedrick, let's go and put you up a division? Or do you do planning strategy planning in that regard with someone like Don and White.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think that's not the way we go about it or would go about it. It's about fighting and making at the end of the day the suspectator sport, so it has to make sense for the company. Whatever makes the most money, whatsever going to it has to make sense at the right time. Timing is everything in the sport, and sometimes you miss opportunity, sometimes you gain the opportunity. And with this it's purely going to be there is once you go up, this is going to make more money than any other fight in your division and more sense, because you don't want to water down a champion going to face another champion that needs to be a very especially the guy in the lower weight division needs to be so dominant that he really earns his spot in fighting for another title. So I think that's how it goes about, and the fans need to be calling for it. People need to go, Okay, done with this division. We need to see him one up. Let's see if you can, you know, get that comma commas zero zero zero one percent achievements.
Speaker 1: So it's when I when I look at you know, I'm a mad five fan. And in every sort of discipline of fighting. What did you first start off in terms of your disciplines? Like you know it was it grappling, judo, jiu jitsu, boxing, Where did you get I.
Speaker 2: Started with judo when I was five years old and I did that for five to six years. My brothers were both multiple national champions in judo.
Speaker 1: This is your older brothers, Yeah, brothers. I'm the youngest, the youngest in the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, And my oldest brother became national champion twice, my middle brother four times, and I did it four five to six years and then we moved, We moved to another province, and the judo there wasn't just not at that level. And then I started wrestling for around two.
Speaker 1: Years, wrestling as in actual wrestling, like amateur wrestling.
Speaker 2: I was. I was ten eleven years old and I did it for years. I wasn't too fond of it. I didn't because I was so used to the judo. Now I wish I did it, but I started with wrestling. It's an amazing sport. But I mean at that stage, it was never for me to become a professional fight or anything. It was an extra curricular activity.
Speaker 1: For school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't have it in schools. It was just my parents always encouraged us to do. We tried everything to do as much as you possibly could. And then I started with kickboxing at fourteen. K one kickboxing it was and I love that, the full contact K one kickboxing that was that was amazing. I had my first fight late I was fourteen, maybe fifteen early, and I loved it. And MMA was always the well that's the videos I watched, but that was the sport that was available. Became national champion in that and at eighteen, I became Junior World champion in K one kickboxing as an amateur, and at nineteen I made my professional debut in MMA. So that's how my journey. I've been a lifelong student of Marshal arts, and yeah, it's been amazing.
Speaker 1: Given that you know, obviously world champion, like, but it'd be interesting to hear what your view is if say somebody a parent is saying to their a parent of a boy or a girl doesn't really matter, and you're saying to your partner, Okay, let's get our son or daughter to become very good at defending themselves and or perhaps even attacking in terms of maybe being a competitor. How would you rank the various disciplines wrestling, ju jitsu, boxing, kickboxing. But what would you say if you only had to pickture or three? Let's get them good at the competent of these three things.
Speaker 2: Well, if I had a daughter, I would invest her time and money in sprinting. So that's the best way to do if yeah, just get away, because now a girl fighting two men is never going to work, no matter how good you are at it. It's not going to work. It's not physically how it should work. So I would get a maybe throw a strike, runaway. I can see it out. But I'm talking about my brother's girl. She loves it. The kickboxing, she loves it. She said, an amazing dance, her world champion at that. And she's only twelve years old. Eleven years old, and her mom is like, no, like the dancing is what folks are, You're going to get hurt. But she loves it. The grappling, the wrestling, she wants to do all of it. And his boy is wrestling, he's loving it. The kickboxing not so fond of it, but he does it. And the best discipline for if you're going self defense, I would you know, jiu jitsu is just something that's always gonna gonna help you. Wrestling is great, you know, you can look at it at a striking situation, and in terms of kickboxing and boxing that is going to be great one on one. But if you are attacked judicious, just the way to go. I think that's something that that is every kid should do. I think it's amazing. But more so, I think other than self defense now people like to hide about around the self defense except for unless and just not saying my kid loves to do this. People feel our experience that people almost feel like you don't want to say my kid likes fighting. People don't want that image. Why not? It's an incredible sport. The behavioral changes when I started taking the sports seriously at the age of sixteen. You know, I really want to become a world champion. I'm talking about academically in my other sports. In my general life was insane. I went from a C student to A plus students within a six month period just because I found there. I found structure, and I found something that I love to do and something where what you put in directly results in what you get out. And once you realize that, you go, well, maybe if I put a bit more in this area of my life, I'm going to get more out. And that discipline to somebody telling you you are not going to talk right now, you are going to do ten push ups, even if you don't want you that is something that that is the biggest, the biggest attribute of doing a martial arts as for bullies and people are being bullied because now the bully gets to a place where you know, you use the bullying. Now you're getting a guy that knows how to fight. It's not just a bully. Now you're getting bullied and you feel, ah, this is what it feels like. Changes you if your guide that's being bullied. And in many situations, I own a gym back home, you see the bully and the guy who's being bullied. Two months later, different children, no manners all. The man is shy, high around his mom, being friends, can't wait to be at the gym because now he has a friend there who was His parents came to us say, we need our kid to learn discipline because he's a bully. Now you have a guy who's being bullied and a guy who was the bully best friends at that gym. That changes you forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not that I'm suggesting he's a bully, but your your opponent, Seawan has actually put up on exit to you or to everyone, I guess, but to you in particular standard bang. Yeah, I mean, and that's his go I mean, he's he's very good defensively, he's very good defense. But what do you think about that? How do you respond to that?
Speaker 2: My response was clear, was there are backs between lions and men. That was my direct response. But you know that was exactly what we did the last time. He said to death. Let's go, let's fight to death, and the manthild jab and a cheap for five rounds in that and this is statue. Can go check it for twenty three minutes, I went forward, he went forward for two minutes. That is a very clear indication of who's there to fight and he's there to defend. He's not banging moving, he's not banging, you know, he's and listen, very effective style. That's his style. But let's not go and act as if Stan Strickland fights are entertaining. The man has eight split decision victories, well, eight split decisions in six victories, two losses against me and Kennya. That is not somebody that's looking for exciting fights. Split decision means it's a very close it's a very close fight, and that has to say something. I have two decisions over my whole career. Split decisions is because he's not doing anything to prove that he's winning that fight. But he's not doing anything that make to make him lose the fight.
Speaker 1: I mean he's not he's fighting not to lose. He's fighting not to lose as opposed to win.
Speaker 2: He's good at frustrating people. He prioritizes defense over offense, and I prioritize offense because I'm there to give the people that spend their hardened money on baby use and arena tickets a show a fight, and I'm in there to kill someone. I'm not in there to point my way to victory. And I think that's where the biggest difference between us comes.
Speaker 1: You come across a pretty nice guy, but like, is there like a glaze over when you walk in the ring? Does something happen to dren? Because when you walk in the like you just said, you're going there to kill somebody. I mean that that's a mindset. How do you how do you sort of become that person?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think people always ask me, do I listened to a certain type of music to hype me up? I'm like, I'm fighting a guy in front of millions of people that wants to kill me, and I want to kill him. That's that's all the motivation you need. I'm pretty hyped up when I get out there. But yeah, it's a good question. That's that's what I always tell people. The mindset that people always go you have to be able to like, you have to be willing to die when you get in there. That's true, you have to, but that's a minimum requirement. The harder idea is can you kill a man when you have to? Yes? I can, So I'm willing to die, and.
Speaker 1: That I mean I actually I know, yeah, you know that.
Speaker 2: I know that when I go in there, if there's no reef, the ref doesn't stop. But I'm not stopping. I can be sitting on you for ten minutes bashing your face, you know. If the ref doesn't say stop, I'm not stopping. And that is the question that me, as a as a modern day gladiator, has to ask myself. Am I still willing to die? Absolutely? That's easy. It's are you willing to kill a man in front of his family? Yes? I am. And that's why I'm the world champion because I say yes to that answer that question every single time. But that's treec is Stormlocks. Yeah, duplicity, that's not Treeck is the guy that you see right. Yeah. I can't be living like that the whole time. And I think that's for a lot of athletes a problem differentiating against the man in society and the man in the arena, two very different people. I can't live my life just willing to kill everybody that that wrongs me or no. But when the time comes in life as well, when you have to defend your family, when you have to, you have to be able to pull that trigger.
Speaker 1: So when you when you when he fought Israel, Israel was on his back foot the whole time. And I kept thinking to myself, I didn't You're sort of putting yourself in a difficult position when you keep walking up against the cage, especially when you know Israel's normally with hands, better off with hands and feet. He's not really a wrestler, And but when he fought you, it was a totally different deal. He was on the back foot the whole time. Do you strategize with your team, I presume we've got a big team. You sit down and say, okay, we're going to be on the front foot the whole time. I'm going to take the fight to him, knowing that, as you say, he's a great defensive fighter like he's you know, he's got the role and everything on him. So how hard or how serious is the whole strategy strategizing? And do you train into the strategy or you just that's or or is this just drin because that's my style. I stick to my style. I don't change my style for anybody. How does it work?
Speaker 2: Well, there's still size of that. So the strategy for me is very important. I watch. I've probably watched every fight that there is to watch, every division, every division. I love fighting. I don't miss a UFC. I love fighting. I love watching it. I love you know, because I can learn from every What's great about this sport. It's so quick evolving that you see a UC fight, you maybe miss one weekend, miss another weekend, you watch another. It's almost a different sport. The people just get better so quickly. So you have to stay on top of that. Now in terms of watching tape of everybody in especially in my division, watching the guys that's coming up, it doesn't help. This guy burst on the scene and now you're too late. You have to know in the back of your mind what this guy does well, what this guy's where he's false are, where he's good at and the strategy I make my strategy the way I see the fight. I see his strengths, his weaknesses, my strength, the stuff where I can struggle. My coach does the same, some teammates does the same, and we discuss it and we see where the similarities are, and that's how we compile our game plan. This fight a bit different because we've had we've had five rounds in there with each other. But that can also be trouble because you're gon't just go out there and think it's the same guy. He's going to make adjustments. I made adjustments. I believe the guy who evolved the most in the last year, so that's how long it's been, is the guy who's going to win this fight. The guy who's who has made the necessary adjustments to be better for this round is the guy who's going to win this fight. And I made sure of that. I made sure of that.
Speaker 1: So you evolving, evolving the whole time, you're evolving a fight game the whole time.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you look at the guy who thought that the SIGNA is the guy who fought strictly the first time, completely different fighter. And if you like on the ninth the third, the guy who's going to afford out sign is as kicked against the Driguez that's going to show up that night. I know that for a fact, and the game plan is very important, but it's a fight. You know, you get a lot of people, and that's one thing I have to give to Suckland. He is always down to fight, I can. I know he doesn't listen to these coaches. I know he is a radical, so you know mentally when he gets frustrated, it's a it's a nightmare for a coach, I would assume. But he's always there to fight. And that's something you can't teach. Because you can have all the systems in the world, the best coach, the best team, the best technology, you can have everything, the perfect game plan. At the end of the day, it's a fight. If you gain bring your game plan. I punch you in the mouth. You bring your game plan. I just have a power. You get tired. Now that fatigue will make a counter of you very quickly. You forget about game plan very quickly because you don't know what my game plan is. So you can have this plan in your mind. Oh I did this in this fight, this in this fight. Now, all of a sudden, you're feeling my strength, You're feeling my presence in there. You're feeling the pressure that I put on you. It's really hard if you have a forward game plan and you're fighting a guy that's keeping you on your back foot to implement your game plan.
Speaker 1: You look like, I mean, I know your weight division, but you don't. You look bigger than your weight division. What are you walking around that normally.
Speaker 2: Around one hundred and two one hundred and five kidograms.
Speaker 1: Right, and so you've got to drop a fav bit of weight, Yeah, to make weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's me. Like I would say three weeks after a fight, three four weeks after your fight, because then you know you're training, You're eating whatever you didn't eat in the last twelve weeks, eating whatever you want to, drinking a lot of beer, and enjoying life a little for that for that period because you have to. You have to do that. You have to unwind. And also you know, I love this sport more than anything, so you have to also have that breaks. You can't just be focused the whole time. It takes it away. You need to go up and go down, go up and go down. So yeah, when I'm when i'm yeah, i can get to one o five easily. But when I'm in good shape, and when I'm not in fight camp but in good shape, training every day eating, I'm around one hundred and two kilos.
Speaker 1: And so your plan then for in terms of making weight, do you is there any residual sort of exhaustion as a result of trying to make weight. I mean, like, because hydration hydration UFC is a bit different boxing hydration UFC is it's a big deal. You've got to be probably hydrated. In other words, you know, you can't be just yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you have to wake us. I mean, you can be dehydrated as much as you want on waiting day. It's about fight day, you know. You can you get guys that you cut the weight. I mean you can cut like if I had to go, I used to fight at one seventy so seventy seven kilograms. This is the exact same body.
Speaker 1: Well that's the twenty three kilo drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was waiting to say I fought there for five years. The problem was when when you do that, it's the rehydration process that's the most important. The last fight, I thought that was just because as I grew, I started twenty one at that weight. When I was twenty five twenty six, you know, my body just became heavy and bigger. So to make that weight, my body fat was like three percent, which is possible, and I made the weight, but every shot I would take feels like somebody sitting with a baseball bat. Yeah, and that's I said, no, I'm not doing this. I'm not doing this anymore because I'm going to lose unnecessary fights. And it took the joy out of the sport because my diet had I had run one week off in terms of just diet, and then I had just started dieting for the next fight because I would go up from seventy seven, get in the cage at around ninety two. A week later, I'm one hundred killos again. So then the hall process starts all over and that's not healthy. Moved up to middleweight the best decision I've ever made because now I can have a life outside and when my camp starts, I can do it. And it's about that reideration process. It doesn't help you make weight, but you can't perform on fight night. You get bodyballers. They are allowed to use like water stuff that you know, strike take the water. We're not allowed to use any of that. You get tested and at the end of the day, you stand on a stage flexing, which is I mean, it's to their own and it's a hard work to get that physique, of course, but we need to get punished in the face. You need to be able to perform for the timing. It's I mean, you have to be able to perform at the highest level on earth, you know, cardio wise and muscle endurance, all of that. I mean, our whole bodies consist of water. So if you your brain, I mean the shots you take, so you have to take all that in consideration when you're cutting this weight, and do it in such a manner where it doesn't negatively negatively affect your fights.
Speaker 1: I see Conor McGregor the other day put up a post I don't think that's actually sure where it was probably on his own Instagram page, but I said that he's not going to do He's not going to fight profiders, He's going to go and start fighting YouTube. What do you think about that concept?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think where the man has had in his life. I mean, Connor McGregor is you know, there's a lot of controversy around the man one hundred percent. But I did an interview a couple of months ago where I said, whether you hate him or love him, you've got to respect what the man has done and achieve in the sport. People look at Connor McGregor now they're like, oh, he's done well. If he has done, good on him. You know, good on him, you know, because I've been a fan of his for very long. When I was I was still up and coming, when he's first Understeen or far up and coming. I think my second fight in the UFC was on the undercut of Connor and dusn't third fight and before that when he was Understne, he just he was. He almost changed the game in terms of mentality, you know, bringing in mental warfare not only as saying nasty shit. No, bringing in mental warfare is a tactic practicing that mentality practicing. And I was twenty one when that happened. So I immediately to you and said, this is an area, especially locally where I was fighting at that stage, when people don't even consider this. People just go like two people are fighting, get in their node. The means of aspect of this creates makes people crush crushes people with both people. I see people in the gym all the time, great fighters, world champion fighters can't win a fight in front of people, or when the lights are shining. He brought that to light. He may change the game from we are fighters. When I started this sport, I said, she's I hope I make enough money so I can eat. But I don't need to eat. I just need to be world champion. That's the only thing I thought. And he changed the game to it doesn't have to be like that, And he made the sport more famous than the sport itself worldwide. Everybody knows Whoconomy is and if you love him or hate him, he was an incredible fighter. He did what no man before him could do. He beat Chosah although who was my favorite all time fighter at that stage. He beat the He was then bound for pound number one. He beat him in thirty second, thirteen seconds knockout. Then goes on becomes the first double division champion in an absolute clinical display against Eddie Alvarez, and people forget about that immediately now because it's been a while. The man sitting on his yacht. Jeez, you know, it's it's kind of easy to say yea and judge, but I think everybody's kind of jealous of that. And yeah, I mean the man's done some CONSCII or stuff. But that's a completely different story as the econo McGregor, that's an athlete. You have to give that man all the respect and thanks our fighters because of what happened to this sport because of him and the raising pay. It's as simple as that, because of somebody like him who changed the narrative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so, he did unbelievabletuff for you have see so McGregor out up, they get who else are you? You've been a student in this game for a long time. Who's your you know your goat list?
Speaker 2: Goatless? That's a tough one. I mean, you can't ever Denis grade John Jones never ever, ever. I mean this guy and I mean the Tom aspinall fight. Let me tell you this, Tom Asperov met him. He's an incredible guy, awesome, awesome man, so humble, nice, gentle giant until he gets in there. Of course it's a fight I don't need to see because the world wants to see this John Jones because I love aspiral. I think he's a phenomenal. He's in the heavyweight division. He has grappling, wrestling, incredible striking. You don't see that with heavyweights. John Jones is years ahead of everybody, especially at heavyweight, until Aspinall came along. I mean, we saw what he did with Sarahgan, and now Aspinall is a young he's hungry. You have Jones who is definitely at the end of his career. Watch thirty eight years old. I don't need to see this because he's never been beaten. So I don't need to see John Jones fight Aspirnam because I don't want any either one of them to lose. I want John Jones to retire unbeaten. Of course he had that DQ for twelve to six, which is now legal, but unbeaten and the legend that he is, and I want him to retire. And Aspronau goes on to be the next big thing, but John Jones bring the warrior. That is, he says, pay me enough and I'm doing it. Aspona wants it, and one of them has to lose that fight. And that's the one thing. If you look at it and you go, Aspera is probably gonna win. But then if you ask me that, I say, no, no, no. We've said that so many times with John Jones, and it makes it look easy. He is the greatest of all time, for sure. You can't deny that. I want to now this for now up until this date where fighting exists is goat. And then of course Connor McGregor massive inspiration for me in terms of how we changed the sport, approached the sport. He was a great inspiration to when I was young and how to approach it. The guy that got me into the sport was Merco Crocop from the K One Days, because that's how I started. He was and he wasn't the UC, but he was already forty years old then he was incredible. Anderson Solva was the guy that the highlight reels that I obviously you've seen me fighter doesn't look like Anderson Solver, but I always tried, definitely failed, definitely failed like he was. He's just made it look like a video game. So he's one of the greats. And then one of my favorite fighters, a guy that I've trained with, a guy that I know, one of the nicest people as well, and he's also down for anything as a guy a Gilbert Burns. I think you know he had a loss against jack Manlena in his last outing, but gil Burns is not a young fighter anymore. Just in terms of the guys he has beaten. If you look at the fight with Balo Muhammad, who is a very dominant champion. What he won his beout in dominant fashion, decision of course, and he located the shoulder in the first round. Thought that fight too, wasn't the easy fight. It just went but he couldn't use it one on. He has the mentality of a champion. I've trained with him and how I see that is just the work ethic of that man. When he's under you get people to be present and be productive. Is not the same thing. You can be at the gym every day. You can be training every day, but are you taking in and trying your best every day to show up. It's not like it's great. It's good for your weekend water to show up. If you want to be the base in the world, conjure show up. You have to show up. And that's one thing that I've seen from him that's really inspiring. So he's one of my favorite fighters too.
Speaker 1: What's really interesting is the way you talk about your favorite fighters. But what's it really interesting is the way you positioned Jones, et cetera. It's newly like there's a romantic I don't mean in a love your other sense, but I mean like there's a romance associated with the fight game, and for those people who you hold up in such high esteem, it's like it's not just the entertainment, not just the athleticism, not just the hardness, but there's a romance in there. You absolutely love the game. Yeah, would it be fair summation?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I think when people ask me what advice I would give any youngsters, and don't give them the advice of work hard to make the sacrifices. They know that you should know that by the time, and you'll figure that out very quickly, and you can just google motivation or YouTube and that's what they'll all tell you. You have to love this more than anything that you do, because people look at me now and actually listen to me now, because I'm the champion of the world. Up until then, you don't know what am I going to do after discuss I spent my whole life. I didn't develop any other skills in life. I didn't build up a CV. I mean, it's going to be hard to get a job if you say, now, what do you do before there's no fight people? Other than being a balance I guess. If you don't make it, you don't make it. It's only one way.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of risk.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of risk if and now you get you I was very young when I started fighting professionally. Some guys only get professionally twenty five. If you don't get to the UC by thirty, you're getting in a situation of okay, am I going to Because if you don't get into a PFL at least an mma. I'm talking about stam a PFL at least or the UC and make it to the top, you have to know that you're not going to be set. You're not going to be able to you know, you have after your career. You have to have something to look after you. I'm talking about and quickly, because if you don't make it, you don't make it. It's all you make it or you don't.
Speaker 1: It's all or nothing.
Speaker 2: It's all or nothing.
Speaker 1: It's a huge risk.
Speaker 2: It's only one way to find out, and that's to go for it. If you go, I want to do this, but I have to, you know, still make sure that I'm taking care of some things. If this doesn't begut you already lost it. You'll never make it can.
Speaker 1: Actual question about southe because it's really important question for me. And I don't know if you're Rememberinghi, But many years ago I had quite a good relationship with a guy called town Strauss, a repe union.
Speaker 2: Guy Spremeboo, captain of the station and any capitiustraight he come over here to live and any capustraighta.
Speaker 1: But Tim work for you in another business because he was a lawyer. But he told me that. And I don't know what this is about South Africans, but he told me that when he was a young man, and I thought it was all bullshit, but he said they used to drive alongside I think he said Wildebeest or something like that, and actually jump out of the back of the jeep order was and try his father's to gin and try and tackle it. There's something about South Africa, the mindset that they're bloody, hard minded, tough minded people. Now we've only just seen you here in the UFC. There aren't a lot of South Africans in the UFC. There's not even a lot of South African boxes even out there at the moment that are known. But what is it about South Africans it makes them so hard minded. I mean people from South Africa. I'm talking about, not the ones that live here, but the ones from South Africa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ones from South Africa, I think, especially what you are talking about now, South Africans in general, English, Afrikaans. We have eleven twelve official languages, so that's eleven twelve different cultures. So in my culture has Afrikaans, South African. You know, my dad is extremely tough. Hard work is installed in us like you wouldn't believe. It's not like I see sometimes I see, for example, a kid like talking back to his parents, and I see the situation and I go, and the parents go, you are going to the naughty corner. I didn't get a naughty corner. No, no, no, it's not how it works in our culture. You get a naughty backhand. That's what you get. And you know, it's about discipline. And there's a lot of love. My parents love in my dad, my mom, they love me. But I was brought up hard and right because not a struggle. There's a lot of struggle. It wasn't a struggle. Now, I grew up in an amazing family. It is hard in a sense that you will show respect and you will appreciate every single thing you have, no matter what it is. I was rewarded for winning, and I was told when I didn't do good enough that it wasn't good enough. In the UFC when I for Derek Branson, that's actually a funny story, I thought Derek Brunson and it was a tough fight. No, you know, my Chodio. It was a great camp, felt amazing, but it was that first round was so intense. It was you know, it was wrestling. It was full speed. Second round came out. I was tired, he was tired, but I just kept on pushing. And that's that minded you talked about. And I got home at the airport and you know, I just became number five in the world, the first South African ever to even get close to a ranking. I get home, we get in the car, so happy to see my parents. They're so happy to see me, and they go, jeez, so you still want to be world champion? I said, well, yeah, it's my whole life is dedicated this one. They go, not if you fight like that? That was terrible and I'm almost I couldn't I couldn't even fathom what was happening right now, said, excuse me, I was right, number ten. I just became number five in the world. Like, no, that's amazing, But you won't be number Like it's number five what you want to achieve, because like that, you're not achieving number one. Like number five will be the highest achievement you'll get if that's the way you want to do it. And I was almost I couldn't believe I was studying like I am right now. I couldn't believe it. And they said, listen, we are so we couldn't be more proud. We are just saying we're not saying you didn't work hard enough. We're not saying you're not doing enough. We're saying there's a change needed, some you need to do. You need to find it. It's your career. You need to find something for the next level, because like that, you won't make it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: So it would would a good description be tough love. And I was angry at them. I was literally sitting in a carr and I'm not saying a word. I just got back for a month away from her, and I then when started thinking about it, made the changes that was needed. You know, the introspection, I was angry first like and then in perspection processed it and I said, shit, they were right. I need to make it made the change in your AWM today. So that you know my parents when I was younger, they were very hard on us, but rightfully so, because we were naughty little shits, me and my brother if maybe we would have been in jail if it wasn't what they because I would be more afraid of my parents finding out when I when we were making shit than going to jail.
Speaker 2: I was like, please please lock me up. If my dad finds me or my mom, we're in big trouble. And that taught us respect. It wasn't fear, it was respect. And to this day, you know, my brothers, myself and my parents, we are so close. We see each other every week, you know, we and that's very rare these days. You like, me and my brothers are best friends. Me and my mom and dad and my brothers. We are so close because we have that. And when you're younger, you don't necessarily understand why are they punishing me like this. I never got grounded, no ways, that's not You go to the farm and you work for a week, because you don't have manners and that was it. You're rewarded for hard work and you were punished with hard work. I love that.
Speaker 1: I think it's to me that's the best one before suns that I had to do that, But I mean, I love that type of process. I'm one quick last question and I want to get wound up. Keep warning because I know you've got a busy schedule. And by the way, can I say it's a great privilege to have you sitting here and I really appreciate it. I'm I'm meekly lucky to be able to interview Pereira next week. What question would you want to ask him? Because I don't know what to ask him? What would you ask him?
Speaker 2: If how's it going to feel to be in Sean Striegland's corner losing again? Ask him that I'll ask him that. I'm going to say it's from you. If you don't know one day when we fight, you will be zero and two really great, So really have to say. I think when we talked about my goat list, ye, I can't name him because he's a potential opponent, but doesn't really matter, like it doesn't change me. Like I said, you can be my friend, you can be the biggest asshole. I will still kill you in there. It's a job to be done. I think he is one of the greatest combat athletes to ever live. He is a phenomenal athlete to go in a short period of time from a different sport and not just a difference, but kickboxing, which is not a great base for MMA. It helps, but if that's the only thing, you know, not a great base, you know, if you want to go up against these wrestling guys. He came in and just went through everyone after being one of the greatest K one keyboxes to ever live, I mean in multiple titles at the highest level, comes in in a short period of time and just becomes a two like became a middleway champion, ghost lighte ever it becomes champion and being one of the biggest names, always always ready to fight. The world's respect for him as a fighter, I think, and you know, as a person even I think we are rivals, but you know, I have the utmost respect for what he is achieved in the sport and he's truly one of the goats to ever not do m m A or the UFC in combat sports. I think probably the most achieved combat sports athlete the worlds have we seen.
Speaker 1: Thanks Dregs mate, good luck, Thank you really seriously