Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, July seventeen, twenty twenty six. Taxpayers have been charged more than eighty thousand dollars to send bureaucrats from Intelligence Services, the Defense Forces and the Tax Office to a women's leadership summit headlined by former New.
Speaker 2: Zealand Prime Minister Jacinder r Dern.
Speaker 1: Young Australians will be hit much harder by the government's reformed capital gains tax than older investors. That's according to a new analysis by The Australian. You can check out those details live now at The Australian dot com dot au. Moira Deeming, the unpredictable Victorian Liberal MP who took down her own party leader, has come a cropper in a big way and faces the political wilderness. Today we look at how this straight talking outsider found herself at odds with her own colleagues and where she'll turn next. Our Victorian Political editor, Anthony Galloway is here.
Speaker 2: In just a moment, she blazed into politics.
Speaker 3: If the LGBTQI can have their rights, that's fine, but why does it involve taking away everybody else's rights.
Speaker 1: And now Moiradeeming seems to be blazing out again. Morademing's political future is hanging by a thread this afternoon, as the controversial Liberal MP faces being dumped by the party.
Speaker 4: She couldn't have picked the worst issue, I think to kind of alienate them over.
Speaker 1: Anthony Galloway is The Australian's Victorian political editor, so this.
Speaker 4: Kind of really came out as a blue but kind of confirms for a lot of people. Is she more interested in fighting her colleagues than trying to beat labor.
Speaker 1: Victoria's Liberals are moving to dump Deming from their top ticket ahead of the forthcoming state election. It all stems from Deming's accusation that another MP, Matthew Guy, put her in a headlock at a community event. Guy vociferously rejects that claim, and the police say there is no evidence of anything approaching a criminal assault.
Speaker 3: Mister Guy leans across from as Deeming staff member and puts his arm around the MP's neck. She says it was a vice like grip. Just minutes before, mister Guy posted these photos of the two politicians seemingly happy together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is the grassy old footage of Victorian politics. I think we've all watched it on slow mo four hundred and fifty times to work out exactly what's going on. So Moira Deeming and Matthew Guy were at a community function, the kind of thing that MPs find themselves at multiple nights of every week.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there were people dancing.
Speaker 1: There was obviously a lot of noise going on at this party, and Matthew Guy you can see in the video, leans over to say something to Moi redeeming. She subsequently accused him of putting her in a headlock. How did that allegation actually emerge?
Speaker 4: She went to Jess Wilson, the leader's office, and people in the party to make that complaint. At a certain point, the advice was given to her by State President Brian Locknane that what you're alleging is essentially a physical assault under criminal law and she needed to potentially go to the police. It wasn't necessarily something that the party could work out or investigate itself.
Speaker 5: She did that.
Speaker 4: Police investigated for a number of weeks, including sourcing that CCTV that we've all i think at this point seen, and police concluded there was no offense. So this could have all been over, and Moira could have kept her position heading into the election if she had apologized. Matthew Guy demanded an apology, as did Jess Wilson. She refused to apologize for that, saying she made the complaint or allegation in good faith. It's become kind of unclear as this saga has gone on, does she still.
Speaker 5: Stand by the allegation or not.
Speaker 4: I can't actually tell you that based on the array of statement she's released in recent days and weeks and even today, it's still unclear whether she actually stands by it.
Speaker 1: Deeming this week put a proposal to the party that she and Matthew Guy, the man she accused of assault, could put out a statement agreeing that she made the initial complaint in good faith.
Speaker 2: Matthew Guy wasn't keen.
Speaker 1: It was a pretty shocking allegation, and Matthew Guy was outraged. He was emanating rage in his public pronouncements on this anthony and absolutely denied having done anything wrong.
Speaker 6: My family, name, my reputation is not a political toy. No one's is, and so I want and my family deserve those apologies, particularly from MOI.
Speaker 1: Redeeming the footage is grainy but it seems to me to show him leaning over, touching her on the back and speaking to her, and then leaning back to talk to someone else, and then the pair of them getting on with their evening. How could there have been such very different versions of events from that evening.
Speaker 4: Well, Mara Demi has spoken about how she is a victim of child sexual abuse and that certain actions by men can be interpreted in a way by her that may be different to the average person. I mean, as best I can describe, that may be a reason why she interpreted such an action in a way that all of ours, us looking at that footage, can't really come to that same conclusion. Her colleagues aren't kind of accusing her maliciously, kind of making this up to damage guy. They kind of accept that the complaint was genuinely made. But the point is to an MP, they kind of look at that footage and they say, once looking at that footage, she should have apologized.
Speaker 1: I mean, if the footage didn't exist, and she says she didn't see it until the allegation made its way into the media.
Speaker 2: Another thing that she's annoyed about.
Speaker 1: Matthew Guy would have had to live with this accusation and would have had to try to defend himself when it would have been extremely difficult. I mean, it's hard to fight off this kind of allegation, isn't it. I mean he was in a very difficult position.
Speaker 4: If there was no CCTV, or if the allegation was about an incident in a private kind of corridor where there were no witnesses. You're right, this would hang over Matthew, you guys head forever. I mean, he may have been able to keep his position as a shadow front bencher, but it would be he said, she said, scenario where he may never in the public's mind and in his colleague's mind, I have been able to recover from this. So in a way, he was very fortunate. There was footage of the incident, which at the very least shows no evidence of what Deeming originally alleged with a form of headlock.
Speaker 1: Laura Deming's really interesting person. She came into Parliament and made a massive splash straight away with a maiden speech about women's rights and women's right to have their own spaces, kind of inserting herself into a conversation that was already pretty hot in Victoria.
Speaker 5: Women and girls are suffering in Victoria because this government cannot or will not define what a female is.
Speaker 1: She then got herself entangled into a dispute with former Victorian Liberal leader John Persudo.
Speaker 2: What was the sort of essence of that and where to end up?
Speaker 5: Yes, so she a bitted let women speak rally.
Speaker 4: She's all about leaving women only spaces through biological women and this rally, you know, a topic as you say that she was already very passionate about and is kind of one of the central reasons why she got into politics in the first place. So this was gate crashed by far right individuals, including neo Nazis, and John Persudo accused deeming of associating with these individuals that gay crashed the rally. She sued him after being kicked out of the party room. As she was successful in that defamation action.
Speaker 6: I just want to say thank you to everybody who stood by with me and yeah, we're just going to get out there and continue to get sex base rights for women and child safeguards for children.
Speaker 4: So she was really vindicated over that, and through that process, I guess, really became a darling of conservatives throughout Australia. Really over her stance on that issue. But that's kind of one of the reasons why people have turned on her because what she's a ledge here is the kind of thing that many conservatives around the country, in my estimation, would be pretty concerned about a man touching a female colleague on the shoulder to whisper something and then being alleged to have done something that he didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes right to the fears that some men have expressed over the past few decades that you can't do anything anymore, that you know, interactions with women are highly fraught nowadays, and that you might get accused of something. We don't often see that actually happening. But this really crystallized I think that other big cultural moment that we've had. How much has it damaged more redeeming standing within the party itself. Even though, as you say, you know her colleagues are not openly saying that they think that she made this up maliciously immensely.
Speaker 4: I mean, a lot of her fans are kind of blokes over the age of forty who, as you say, concerned about this. We like to think these kinds of allegations are never made falsely. You always want to believe the victim. So a lot of her kind of fans throughout the country, she couldn't have picked the worst issue, I think, to kind of alienate them. Over in terms of her stance on biological women, she's argued that objective reality, biologies all that counts. That just because someone feels they're a woman, it doesn't make them so. So you know, essentially facts matter. But then on this she is in a way arguing her subjective experience, perhaps her past trauma, you know, matters more than the objective evidence that we can all see on the footage.
Speaker 1: You can see why she's so appealing to those voters. You talk about Anthony like she's kind of the classic outsider. You know, she's a former school teacher. I think she speaks very frankly. She's prepared to go there on issues that other politicians find themselves a bit trapped by. Like we've seen a generation of politicians unable or unwilling to even define what a woman is. You know, she's got that kind of paul En hands and ask ability to just cut to the chase.
Speaker 2: And speak very frankly.
Speaker 1: It's almost a disarming kind of frankness that she has Does that mean that she's kind of not equipped for modern politics or is that how she's kind of got herself into this situation?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I would have says that it's more a contradiction of everything she stood for. You know, as you say, she's a clear communicator, she argues that facts matter, plain language is important, and then on this matter she's bringing in.
Speaker 5: All kinds of terms.
Speaker 4: One of the more kind of bizarre elements in recent days is she's sought evidence from a martial arts expert about this being, as I understand it, some kind of mma neck grip that Matthew Guy was doing. I think for many people that believe that plain language matters and there is an objective reality, what Moira alleged here kind of runs counter to a lot of that, and these contradictory to where she's had positions on in the past.
Speaker 1: Coming up, so will deeming day in Parliament on someone else's ticket, A high profile MP who's developing a reputation for sort of speaking truth to power and saying unsayable things is a bit of a nightmare for any political party leader. It was really hard for John Persuto to know how to deal with this. In fact, it all blew up in his face when he lost the defamation action that they were involved in. How is Jess Hill handling this?
Speaker 4: She wants her gone from the party room over her refusal to apologize to Matthew Guy, who's a front bencher going to be a minister if she wins the election in November.
Speaker 5: I mean, every MP I've spoken to a person is.
Speaker 4: Of that view that it's kind of untenable to make an allegation such as this, to go to the police and make a criminal complaint and then when it's found that there's no evidence of what you're alleging, to not apologize to an MP, they kind of all want to go on. And Jess Wilson's of that view as well.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons some conservatives liked Murraw Deeming is that she kind of seemed like the hope of the side. You know, the Victorian Liberals have been pretty moribund for a while now. They don't seem to be able to make much of a dent in labor, despite Labour's manifest failings in Victoria over the years. If this is the end of the Deeming kind of chapter in the Victorian Liberals history. Where does that leave the party in relation to that November election.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great question.
Speaker 4: I mean, she was no doubt an asset, especially among the Bays where people always questioned her utility was it's undeniable. She has lots of fans throughout the country, lots of Conservative fans, but she represents the western metropolitan region of Melbourne in the Upper House and that's a part of Melbourne the Liberals really don't have a big footprint in. They don't have many Lower House seats, if at all any and did she talk enough about the West of Melbourne and the lack of infrastructure and services that the Andrews Allen governments have kind of neglected that area of Melbourne. She was started after a pre selection drama earlier this year where she lost the pre selection and then her opponent was disendorsed, so she got it back. She did start to kind of really focus on Western Melbourne issues and it seemed like she had really got on board with the effort to win the election in November. So this kind of really came out of the blue, but kind of confirmed for a lot of people. Or is she more interested in fighting her colleagues than trying to beat labor. I guess the criticism in a nutshal ofvre is did she ever layer glove on labor? Did she ever really make life difficult for this labor government or did she only ever make life difficult for her liberal colleagues.
Speaker 2: Is there a risk now?
Speaker 1: Is there a downside risk for the Liberals now that she goes to one nation or that she becomes successful independent.
Speaker 4: Well not to one nation, because Pauline Hansen has said she doesn't want her over her allegation and refusal to apologize, So that really probably let the Liberal Party off the hook. When they heard that, they thought, oh, well, at least she's not going to make life difficult for us in my nation. You know, everyone thinks my nation's going to win some seats and it's going to be a real player at the election, So that's really helped. She could join another minority party, or she could run as an independent, but I think that rejection from Hanson will kind of be decisive. But you know, she's got a number of months left in Parliament until the election. She could say all kinds of things under parliamentary privilege, make all kinds of allegations if she wanted to do.
Speaker 5: I'm not accusing her of planning that.
Speaker 4: I have no line of sight on that, but those are the kinds of things that you know, when you've got a very cranky member that you've disendorsed, could do in their final months Parliament.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sure the journals will be hoping she yields many, many more stories before she leaves politics.
Speaker 2: Anthony.
Speaker 1: If she ever does so, I'm sure it won't be the last time we speak about Moray Deeming.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for your time.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Anthony Galloway is The Australian's Victorian political editor. You can check out all his scoops anytime at the Australian dot com dot au