Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to separate bathrooms. We would like to acknowledge the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation, the traditional custodians of this land, and pay our respects to the elders, both past and present. My name's Cam Daddo.
Speaker 2: I'm Ali Daddo.
Speaker 1: We've got a surprise for you today, our son. I'm very excited to have him in. We've had Lolo in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was just me and her. This is the first time that we've had the parentals with the child. We've known him his whole life, yes, right.
Speaker 1: Indeed we have. I was was I the first one to put my hands on him. I remember I was the one lifting up my T shirt that he was wrapped in when he was born at home to see if River was indeed a boy or a girl? Who's going to be River either way? In name? Wasn't he?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, that's right, do you I mean he was on my chest and then yeah, then the T shirt went over him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we still didn't know at that point.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't know for a It felt like a while, probably in the skim of things, not that long. But we were just madly in love with this perfectly round, little chunky baby.
Speaker 1: It was the most peaceful birth.
Speaker 2: It was a beautiful, but it wasn't There.
Speaker 1: Was nothing dramatic about it. Yeah, it was in the bedroom in our house. There was a tub in the bedroom that we had for you to birth him in the tarban. You ended up getting in there afterwards. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't feel right to have him in the water like Lolo was. But yeah, it was a very special experience. It was, and he was just Remember he lifted his head up and just looked around and everyone went look at him.
Speaker 1: He's so aware and so strong to lift his head up. That was kind of like it was like an et moment, his big eyes and this head kind of going lifting out of his shoulders.
Speaker 2: And then I think you said, is he a boy or a girl? And then you had had the first look.
Speaker 1: Definitely a boy, Definitely a boy.
Speaker 2: We just thought we'd bring him in, have a chat with him and maybe you'll fall in love with him as much as we love him as well.
Speaker 1: Let's welcome to the bathroom, our number one son, River true daddo, Welcome to the bathroom. Son. Thanks, you've just asked who dropped out?
Speaker 3: Well, it's such short I mean you called me on what Tuesday asking me to come on it, and I was like, well, it's such short notice.
Speaker 1: So we did. We did. We realized that Okay, so we've got we've had Lotus has been in the bathroom, your big sister, your little sister has said to me last night.
Speaker 3: When am I coming said that to mom, I was like, she's going to be pissed when she finds that she's the last one.
Speaker 2: She's going to be banging on the basket.
Speaker 1: But this is how I grew up. There was you know, you had to wait your turn, and it was oldest to youngest. So I don't think body thinks that way. No, she definitely doesn't think that way. And that's her superpower.
Speaker 2: Actual Lexander, our producer that suggested with correct which we thought was just a genius idea. We're like, yeah, as of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we'll get to the reasons why Xander was interested in having you aside from being our only son, our one and.
Speaker 2: Only favorite son of all time, couldn't have said it better. Our favorite river, our favorite sign.
Speaker 1: And so this is your first time in a radio studio podcast studio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, yeah, I mean you used to take me to the voiceover sessions in Los Angeles when I was like a little little kid too.
Speaker 1: I did too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No, that was because they didn't they have toys in the in the waiting.
Speaker 1: They lollies. So Dad used to convince us. Yeah, with the lullies, so come and hang out. There was always other actors in there. Yes, we'd be hanging out in a reception.
Speaker 2: Nothing like some sugar to bribe at all.
Speaker 1: Look, we might even get to that too, with the gymnastics, bribery, trauma, trauma. We kind of easy our ease our conversations into trauma rather than starting with trauma.
Speaker 2: So it's probably a nice place to start.
Speaker 1: It is. Hey, so you were born in America. Your first I'm going to say, sixteen years seventeen years of your life were living in the United States. Now you've moved to Australia. What was it. You know a lot of people are curious about what's it like to grow up in sunny southern California. How was that for you? And going to school there and you know there's Zoomer Beach in the valley dude, and in and out Burger and all that sort of stuff how you're an American kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like when you're in it, you don't really think about it, like that's just that's just normal. So it wasn't really until I think when we really started to come to Australia on holiway, like Christmas, summer break more, that you would start to compare the lifestyles. And that was kind of where I used to go, like, hang on, I kind of like I like the Australian lifestyle a lot better. And that just kind of built up. And remember I used to get so upset when we have to come home, Yes, and it just like steadily got more and more to the point where I'd be like crying when we when the plane landed back in Los Angeles because I did not want to be there that interesting.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I was. I was really excited to move.
Speaker 2: I know when Dad said it, you were just so gung ho for it. I remember that, like out of out of the rest of us, you were like, absolutely, let's go. What is it like for I mean, you said the lifestyle, but you know, not not necessarily to compare the two, but what is it about Australia that you love so much?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I actually don't know. I think it's just it's just I just like it. Yeah, it's just it's so much nicer. It's probably because you've got you know, all of our families here, but yeah, it's just it's just a feeling that you get living here.
Speaker 1: Like I go.
Speaker 3: On holiday, like we'll go to Europe whatever and that kind of thing, and I'm like excited to come home, yeah, because I know that I'm coming back to Australia. I know that sounds like cringe or whatever, but like it's that's just the way it is. Yeah, where I was, I do not have any connection to America whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yea, and people from a passport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, aside from a passport, but like yeah, people are always like do you miss it? Do you ever want to go back? And I'm like no, would you ever work over there?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Like I went on a whare I went over there in May and went into.
Speaker 1: My office office space.
Speaker 3: In Irvine, and the people they were like, would you ever come back here?
Speaker 1: And I was like no, probably not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no I don't really want to, but oh yeah, And then it's it's just, yeah, it's just a feeling. I just I don't I wouldn't want to live anywhere else right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree, that's a fair call. And you've also the way, the way to your heart has always been through your tummy. You love I don't know anyone who loves their food more than riv and from a tiny baby, tiny baby, you were just food driven in such a great way. Then ye hate everything everything we put in front of him. He was like that was his joy. And I know that's been a big thing as well, hasn't it the food here you really enjoyed.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, although there are some like the snacks in America, and you can't compare the variety.
Speaker 1: Like when we were there earlier this year.
Speaker 3: We walked into like Walmart and it was just like the aisles and aisles of just variety that you could get there.
Speaker 1: And I was quite excited. Did you get those fire bomb cheetos that you like? Those red?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I got gold I got my goldfish got goldfish crackers.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that was a big part of your growing up too, I mean your infancy was there was it was goldfish that So I'll put you in your stroller, put a blanket over the top, make it make a hole between your legs there and fill the hole with goldfish. Yeah, and that's how we used to walk around.
Speaker 2: The neighborhood as Larry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well remember the shrimp. You wouldn't remember the shrimp the shrimp, but I know this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shrimp gate, shrimp slash prawn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you choked on it, and luckily I managed to have a meeting have lunch with paramedics that day.
Speaker 2: It was the day before or was.
Speaker 1: The day before, that's right, and they told me how to clear a child's wind pipe if they're choking. And the best thing about that story is as the shrimp flew across the table into Lotus's lap, you were looking for another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I lost that one, that one.
Speaker 1: Would you eat me on the back floor? Put another shrimp in my mouth?
Speaker 2: The best, the best sub Moving to Australia, moving with the Dado last name. Obviously you've got your uncles who've been in the industry as well.
Speaker 1: Was that.
Speaker 2: How well, how was that for you when you when you mentioned the Dado name, Was it sort of like what are you? Which son are you? And who do you belong to? And was that ever a weird experience for you? Having been in America, where both of us were unknowns.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you guys know, you guys told us to expect it before we moved. You were like, this is probably gonna happen. Yeah, but it did.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. It doesn't happen a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, hence the letters. Try, Cameron, I think, like, you know, you'd be oh.
Speaker 2: My god, it would happen.
Speaker 3: You know, it's maybe happened. It happened a few times, but it definitely has happened.
Speaker 1: This is not making me feel bad, but mom feel bad. She didn't care. You're not making me feel bad, Yes you are. It's you know what.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Where I've found it the most is when I've had like job interviews and I've gotten the job, and like later on within my in my first week, like I'll have like at my first at my first job, one of the one of the women and who had interviewed me for the job, and then within the first week she came up to me and she was like, oh my god, I know who your parents are. She's like I listened to your mum's podcast and that kind of thing, and she was and my boss was like, yes, he was, like she she said that to everyone, and I made sure that she did not bring it up in your job interview so that it will happen. Sometimes like that, do.
Speaker 2: You often get asked then are you interested in acting? Are you going into the entertainment industry?
Speaker 1: Do you ever get not? Really? Sometimes they'll be like, yeah, are you going to? Do you want to?
Speaker 3: And I've always said no because I've seen the way that what it's done with you guys, and it's it's I, you know, I'm someone wants that stability in my life, especially from like from a work perspective and a financial perspective. Yeah, And I've seen how hard it is, and I don't want to do that. So I would rather have, you know, work a normal job and have that financial stability because it's something that I need.
Speaker 1: So what what have what did you see? What have you seen?
Speaker 3: Well? I, you know, especially living in America, when I saw you know, you guys really really struggling. I didn't really understand what it was, what that was at the time, but you know, we've obviously we've talked about it since then, and I've I know what that was, what that came from, and that kind of thing, and I, you know, you've you've since told us how hard you were working and what you were doing, because your work was just it just wasn't there.
Speaker 1: And yeah, transparently, I do not want that.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's awesome. Yeah, it's smart, it's smart. We get asked constantly. Are your kids interested in the entertainment industry? We get asked that all the time, don't you.
Speaker 1: I do, and I have, And I said if they, if they chose to do it, they would all work. They would like your singing voice. I know you haven't allowed it to get out of the bathroom, but when you did, used to sing in the shower and stuff like that. You've got a beautiful singing voice. And yeah, I was if any three of you wanted to pursue a career at the time, no problem. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: They've also they've all seen the unglamorous side of it for sure.
Speaker 1: You saw us go through our through challenges and difficulties over there, and you saw us make use of professional mental health care through therapists and things like that. And here you are. You've chosen a career in psychology. Yeah. I studied psychology. Yeah yeah, And is that because you're interested in people's welfare? Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: But I think I think I you know, I liked I liked talking, I like dealing with people, like I like to talk to people as much as sometimes I I may not seem to like want to talk to you guys.
Speaker 2: But that's a completely understandable It's not the family, that's not true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just something that I that I had in the back of my mind that I was like, why don't I do it? You guys know, I took a break between high school and UNI, and I'd like, I didn't really know what I wanted to do, and I'd enrolled in a couple of things and then didn't want to do it. I remember I wanted I remember Dad, we were driving along military road back home and I was said, I think I think maybe I want to be a teacher, and you said, you go, well, the lifestyle that you want is not attainable on a teacher salary, So I would I would maybe rethink that one.
Speaker 1: So many ideas are many ways to teach. You and your human resources career can do a lot of teaching. Well, let's just put some context around that too. In terms of you. I mean, you've always loved the finer things you've always wanted for sure. Yeah, you were totally right, like you were. That's why I didn't do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, You've got your older sister who likes to live off white.
Speaker 1: Rice and peanut butter and peanut butter.
Speaker 2: Like that's it, and wants to live in a bus and has no career aspirations really, and then you are so far from that that has And again you've always been from a little kid when we would go to a store, you would find the most expensive this, that or the other, because you knew quality at an early age. And that's not changed for you either, which I think is awesome.
Speaker 1: No quality over quantity you got.
Speaker 2: You've taught me that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you've really taught and you're slowly you're slowly catching on.
Speaker 1: How's the quantity going, how's that going? How many? How many dresses are you to?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: It's not about the quantity, honey, It's about the quality. The sun tells me.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is like you spend, you spend the big bucks on one thing and that thing last forever. Yeah, like pants. I was talking to him about cooking pants. I was like, stop buying the cheap nonstick pants, because they will you lose their nonstick and you've got to chuck them out. Buy a nice cast iceless steel pan and you'll have it forever.
Speaker 2: I remember when you came home from your first trip to Europe with the leather backpack.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, the leather backpack has to be.
Speaker 2: But I remember when you came came home with that. You particularly, Honey, were like you spent how much money on a backpack?
Speaker 1: I mean, but the thing was, I had patience with it. I was I couldn't believe how much you spent on a backpack. For one However, when I was in university, a leather salesman came. My three weeks at university, the a leather person came and was selling things out of the trunk of their car, and one of them was a leather Duffel bag, which I bought for eighty bucks. And I bought it home and I showed Mum and Dad, and Mum was like, you spent how much on that? And I'm like, eighty bucks. Where do you get eighty dollars from her? How do you know it's crazy? Well, I've still got that bag. Forty years later, forty white. My mass is terrible, but I still have the leather bag, and so I thought, Oll, that's what Rip's going to do. You'll still have that leather backpack. And since you were young, you've always been authentic. You've always walked to the beat of your own drum. You've shown me and just through being you, some great lessons in who you are. You've been really true to yourself. And it started for me when you were about I don't know, as soon as you could walk. Really you like the look of Mum's high heel shoes and you always got people to walk and then you sparkles and your dresses and things like that, and it was always you were like, yeap, just just do it. And then I camerom you do you remember when I came out in a dress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Mum's nightgown, lady. Yeah, when the seams were splitting down the side, and you were.
Speaker 1: Like, dadda, what are you doing? And I'm like, well, I've I've been watching you'd wear a dress, so I thought I'd better try one. It's really comfy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You and Lola were in the bath, weren't.
Speaker 3: You, And it didn't it really, it didn't it didn't land, I think as well as Dad wanted it to, because I think we were just more confused than anything.
Speaker 2: Lovely tells the story. You might remember too. Lola tells it, and I remember the sound of the ripping of the seeds.
Speaker 1: Is Dad, Yes, talk about overstuffing a sausage.
Speaker 2: You gave it a good shot.
Speaker 1: Was there another time that I bought the pink and black one from the op shop, the hourglass one, because that's the one I was thinking about. I'm not really having much of a memory about me months, but there was a pink and black dress that I that I put on once and you were like, dude, duded me, and so what are you doing? And I'm like, oh, you know, it's just and it was. I guess it was my way of wanting to support who you were, because I also remember throwing a ball towards you at one point, going here, catch this, and you just hit you on the chest and you burst into tears and like, what are you throwing that at me? For? I got to find another way with you, you know, to that's finding your interests. And it took me a while to sort that, sort that out. So here you were as a young a young boy wanting to wear dresses. Halloween, you dressed up as princesses, and we might talk about a moment which was hugely teachable for me in your school playground and delivering you to school in your princess dress. But so it wasn't whether you were gay, straight, or or any of those sort of things. At what point did you realize that you were gay? Because it wasn't It could have gone anyway.
Speaker 2: At that point about dresses that made him gay or may not made him gay, But yeah, that wasn't the clue or anything.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't actually remember, like there's never like a penny drop moment for me, Like I can't ever remember being like, oh, yeah, that's it, that's that's what like, that's what's happening. But like, yeah, it was. It's just like this. It was just like a weird gradual progression where I was like.
Speaker 1: And do I liked it? Maybe? And then I was like okay, And then.
Speaker 3: I think probably like the transition between year like year eight and year nine is when it was like, yeah, I not not into girls at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and did you find yourself were you attracted to a guy? And is that or you just knew you were no two girls.
Speaker 3: I just knew I didn't really like I wasn't attracted to women at all. Yeah, yeah, like there wasn't. There wasn't any men that I would see like obviously, yeah, you see them on the street and you're like, oh, that's a good looking guy.
Speaker 1: But it's never like that.
Speaker 3: I can't remember a singular guy that was like gay awakening, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Gay awakening. Oh, I've not heard that time. Have there been any challenges that you have faced since then with your sexuality?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I was. I feel like I got super super lucky, like there was never you know, my friend, I feel like all my friends in America at least knew well before I did that I didn't like girls, and I think that's why they they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think back, and I'm like, I was having sleepovers with girls when I was like what eight or nine, Yes, like my best friend from like two years old, Like, they're all females, so and I think their parents obviously were like, Okay, this is clearly there's no no issues here whatsoever. And I remember one of my best friends actually she was having Sophia I was having it was you know how she used to have her big summer birthday party in August and I remember one year we usually what would happen is like boys would go home and the girls would get to sleep over. And I remember Kathy Kat Sophia's mum pulled me aside and she was like, do you want to sleep over? Do you want to spend the night. Yeah, And I was like, yeah, I want to spend the night. And it was so much fun because like that was I was like got to say and I was like the only guy that was there, and it was that was before I came out, so it was like everyone knew, Like it wasn't a shock to anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and high school was yeah, high school was fine. And yeah there was no no.
Speaker 3: I never had anyone outwardly say anything to me, not even not even in not even here, not even in Australia. Like it was very easy. I think I just got lucky.
Speaker 1: There was that moment, as I alluded to before, in the playground, you across the playground to deliver you to class. You were probably in about maybe second or third grade at school, and you were dressed as Rapunzel in this resplendent sort of a white gown and blonde hair, and you and I was holding your hand and you had your lunch pale and we're walking across and then that boy called out from a second you're dressed like that girl. And I remember feeling this fury and as I grabbed you and and I looked at you, and you and you just looked up and just cut you stopped for a second to see who it was. And then it was like you've raised your hand or your wand and just went like that and kept walking. It didn't it seemed to roll. It just didn't seem to hit you at alls, like, yeah, but he was dressed.
Speaker 2: As a girl.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah so, but it.
Speaker 1: Was such a it was a moment high. Well the guy wasn't saying it as a compliment, it was right.
Speaker 2: That was a tone.
Speaker 1: There was a definite tone.
Speaker 2: That eight year old had a tone to his voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's older than that. He was like a sixth grader should have known better yelling at a little kid walking through the thing. And I'm still mad at him now, But it was the way you took it, and it was who you were, and I just thought you know, and I looked at it and walked away and just went, Wow, he's what a kid. You know, He's just doing He's just doing what he does. So you said between eight and nine that you kind of had that recognition with yourself that you weren't into girls. It took a little while longer than that for you to come out. Yeah, and when you came out to us, there were a lot of tears for you. I didn't you asked me, Yeah, you asked me. Okay, So how was that for you that moment, although that leading up to that, and how was it through that and how did you feel once the cat was out of the bags? Weird?
Speaker 3: It was weird because I felt like you have like this it's and it wasn't even that like I didn't think you guys were going to accept it or anything like that. It just I just didn't feel like ready, Like I was like, I don't really want I don't know how to have this conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how to like initiate it. I think.
Speaker 3: So probably it was a good thing that you guys did ask, because it probably would have taken a lot longer for me to say anything. Anyways, But yeah, I know that day was that was a crap day. That was a bad day because yeah, I remember, i'd like, you didn't like the group of friends that I was with. They knew i'd come out to them, and then you guys, I had. They had set me up on the apps and then I remember that the apps was connected to my old iPad that I'd given to body and Bodie was getting messages and it was just like it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a messy, messy days. I remember I was supposed to have dinner with those group of friends and I we were on a walking down the street and Dad's car pulls up when I was like oh, I was like, Dad, you're early, and he's like, no, I'm here to pick you up. Yeah, silence on the way home. And then it wasn't until later on that you kind of said that you knew everything and asked me, and yeah, I remember crying. I think I said sorry. I said sorry to you guys. I apologize. So that was probably, yeah, a little bit of shame hidden down in there for sure, Yeah, because I don't know why else I would have apologized for it. But you feel, you feel so much better once you once you actually come out, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was so much around that time, Like there was a lot of there was a lot of hiding of other things that was happening. Yeah, so we were really like, what is happening yeah to rib like and it was yeah, that group of friends that were kind of a new group of friends were just getting into some stuff that was really illegal and like not great, and that was what we were concerned with. And then that question just came out, and it was heartbreaking to hear your apology. It still breaks my heart that there was that you still that you felt the need to say sorry, because that was something that I felt like I'd really wanted you to know that, And even just the fact that we asked you, Like some days I just go there was no need to come out, there's no need to ask the question, you know. We just wondered if there was something connected to that that was causing the distress in your life, because you hadn't sort of said, look, yeah I am gay. So that was why that question came out the way it did. But I know, like I feel like a lot of things changed after that. I feel like it did kind of relieve break the tension you sort of got back with your old friends and sort of Yeah, there was like this sort of ease after from our perspective anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, yeah, yeah, for sure, I think that that definitely happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I told you, you were like, oh, we've known since you were two. Yeah, yeah, that was that was what I Yeah. Yeah, yeah, well when we thought we knew. For me, there was a question.
Speaker 1: Then I you know, I've tried so hard to get you into buraking for the Moti Bombers and be part of footy and stuff, and to find ways to connect with you, and whether that be as we've you know, cooking or the doll dressmaking or whatever it was that all those things that you were you were into and the question I would say, I wonder if he's her gay? Is he not going al? And I Mum and I would talk about it, and then it became it doesn't matter, does it matter if he is or not? And then I remember Lotus came to me, probably maybe a year or so before you'd finally come out, and she said, Dad, well she goes he's not gay. Oh, he's not gay. And I said, what do you mean he's not gay? She said, well, he left his diary, you know, in my room, and I read it, and the stuff that he's writing about that, he's not gad she read it.
Speaker 3: She was young too, well, she knew better than to read someone's diary. Well wherever it will just say she knew about her. I'm going to text her after that.
Speaker 2: That's true. You better talking to her about that.
Speaker 1: I am true, I am sure about it. But she said, maybe maybe you didn't read that. She just said what I read what he wrote about so and so, huh, and whether it was maybe I'm elaborating on the diary issue.
Speaker 3: She's still a sneak. But that's fine.
Speaker 1: As I said earlier, you know, you've been wearing high heels and dresses since you could walk and dress yourself, aside from wearing t shirts back to front and inside out with no tags and any labeling them for a number of years. Are you still doing things like that? Do you still have any kind of dressing ticks that?
Speaker 3: Like, you know, I've had. I've had to get over them. I know I had, like I had a lot of sensory issues as a child, especially with clothes, Like I didn't like tags every like I could not have a T shirt with like a tag on it, it had to be a print like printed on the fabric.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: I didn't like busy colors.
Speaker 3: Busy colors all buttons, which I yeah, buttons. I've had to get over buttons, Like I'm fine with the buttons now. I think majority of my clothes have buttons button down. Yeah, but you know, I definitely had issues, But I think that just you just you grow out of it.
Speaker 2: Is there anything about the experience of of of sort of being gay or whatever that has looked like for you and coming out that you wish you had have done differently or you had have known earlier that would have helped you in some way.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. I think it happened the way it happened, and like, oh, I don't. I don't see any reason why I would want to change it that way.
Speaker 1: Like it doesn't.
Speaker 3: I don't look back on it and go, oh, I wish I'd done that sooner, or I wish I'd done it on my own, you know, on my own accord that kind of thing. I don't really, It's just not something that I think about anymore at all.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Is what it is.
Speaker 3: I think it's been It's so normal now, like no one, no one really comes out anymore.
Speaker 2: Really, Like that's right.
Speaker 1: It's just this, It's just a normal thing that people people do. You have always had a great perspective on life and I can't wait for you to be a dad to see how you go about being a father. Is there anything that we can avoid? Well, this is for parents of teenagers. Anything that we can avoid saying or doing to our teens that might unintentionally hurt or alienate them. Is there is there things that we can pay attention to as parents with kids with teenagers. You've always had a great perspective on how to speak to people. And you see truth. I mean, your middle name is True and that, to me is exactly who you are. You've always river true, You've always taken the path of least resistance, and you see the truth. You know. Yeah, I think just let them do their thing.
Speaker 3: Just don't push within reason obviously, Like there's times where you guys have had to corral all three of us at some points and we've started to kind of go down that are not the best.
Speaker 1: But I think just yeah, just let them, just let.
Speaker 3: Them figure it out. On their own because they like everyone does. Yeah, yeah, some people just take longer to do it.
Speaker 1: It is what it is.
Speaker 3: Like, just don't push it, I think, don't try and force it because it's just not going to end up well.
Speaker 2: Like the river you even when you like it wasn't long after you know, you came out. I know i'd so keep on cringing slightly at that time, but you were very clear that you wanted still want it to be a dad and you knew that it was going to be like, yep, we'll do a child from me and a child from my husband. And what is it about being a father that you're looking forward to?
Speaker 1: I think doing things the way I want to do it as the dad. Yeah, I think what would you do, Robert? You?
Speaker 3: I can't think of anything you know extremely differently that you guys would have done that. I go absolutely not, but in it, like I think, yeah, just getting to getting to shape a person is something that you know, it's an exciting idea. Like I think, yeah, I think that's it. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from out from your childhood, is there any favorite family traditions that you look back on fondly?
Speaker 3: I feel like we don't have. I mean, I think we were. I feel like we're quite a non traditional family in a lot of ways. Yeah, I think so, But I think I think we have like the things that we do every year, like you know, Christmas time, I think is a great one, Like we're always we're usually always together on Christmas and you do your your big Mumma's breakfast and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: That's always a fun one.
Speaker 3: But I think there was a the tradition that died, thankfully, was your Nutcracker tradition where you would take us to the Nutcracker every single Christmas.
Speaker 1: I'm with you on that one. I think the last one.
Speaker 3: The last one we left, I think halfway through and we walked past the bout like the main the main Ballerina's mother as we left, and she was not happy.
Speaker 2: I know, wait, do you have kids, I'll start the tradition, don't worry. What's the I know this is a weird question, but I love it. What's the strangest thing that you believed as a child.
Speaker 1: That sex was cake? Wait?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Yes, I used to think that sex was like a Kate was cake. We need to talk.
Speaker 2: So when people said, oh I had great sex, you thought people were.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like kind of yeah food, Well some people would. I think some people would. Actually it was just like you. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't like have a that was like very a very very young. And then it was explained to me probably I think eight or nine probably, I think, yeah, I probably got a better idea of what it actually was.
Speaker 1: So you can have your cake and eat it.
Speaker 2: I mean imagine if you had to come home and said, Mom, can I have some sex?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We'll be like what, like, can you make some sense? There were so many things that could have happened there with oh wow.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I'm wondering if that's a parental thing.
Speaker 3: Or did that.
Speaker 1: But you became so good at making cake, yes, and your horseshoe pastry and sour.
Speaker 2: Dough yeah, I mean wow, it's a baker.
Speaker 1: You are a baker. You you like your sex a lot.
Speaker 2: My god. We did actually think for a long time you were going to be a baker. That would be your profession, Like yes today yeah, because you're so so naturally good at it. Hey, Dad and I have since we've come back to Australia and started the podcast podcast.
Speaker 1: It's a bit stinky. Sometimes, let's face it, this one's not.
Speaker 2: This is great, great stuff. Haven't since we've started so much cake, since we've started this podcast. You know, Dad and I have been very open about our relationship and lives and what have you. How has that been for you? Has that been in any way challenging?
Speaker 3: No, because I don't try. I try not to actually listen to a lot of it. Yeah, because it's just something that I don't I don't think I need to know every single detail, and I don't want to know every single detail. I think it's like sometimes you guys have tried to, you know, if if something is coming out, you know, a book or or an article or something that you may know is has something that I don't know yet. I know that you guys have in the past sat me down and said, hey, this is coming this is just a heads up, which is always severely.
Speaker 1: Uncomfortable for me, and I don't like to hear it. What about when I hit you up for the with my book that's coming out and the bit.
Speaker 3: Back, Well, yeah, if that because that concerns me, that's right. If it's just about you or something that's happened in your personal life that it's unlike I. You know, that is something that I don't need to know. But I get why you guys have done it because you don't want me to find out through through other ways, because I know that stuff has been published in the past where you know it has you know, been a bit of a blind side too, at least Lolo and I because we've we've read it and we've heard it and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's not not one of not my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it fair enough.
Speaker 1: I get it fair enough. Hey, listen, we do a thing called the the two minute shower. Do you know about this? No, Remember, he doesn't list I'm going to sit you down and talk to you about this, and it's going to be really cringey, really cringey roofs.
Speaker 2: That's short. It's a very short, very short.
Speaker 1: You know how much you like your showers. It's steal fourteen towels and collect them in your room. How are you dealing with that now now that you're out of the house and you don't have fourteen towels, or maybe you do to choose from, we have a lot of towels. Do you have a lot of towels?
Speaker 3: Because we steal them from the gym.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna name me the gym Nodas. Yeah, that's always be known for Like father, like son.
Speaker 1: Let's go. If you could relive, you have to spend a lot of time on these answers. If you could relive one day, what would it be?
Speaker 3: Probably a day that I had in Europe in summer. Nice pos, beat the beach club.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What the world needs more of is.
Speaker 3: Lightheartedness. People are far too serious. They take things way too seriously. Yeah, get over it.
Speaker 2: Yep to you.
Speaker 1: It's so good, Thanks so much for coming in.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 1: We spoke to We spoke to Richard Wilkins and Christian his son the other day and it was so it was so lovely watching a father and a son just hanging out, and I got to say I felt like that with you today. It's really nice. And mum's been here too, so that's been she's been around. Is there? And is there any way that I can sway you to barracking for Essendon? We need another supporter? No, no, I'm not going to finish this on a no. Will you come for dinner on Sunday night? Yeah? Sure day?
Speaker 2: Love that.
Speaker 1: Thanks for v Thanks so much for coming. Honey, that's okay, thanks for having me, Thanks your time.
Speaker 3: So we have.
Speaker 2: Right, Rev's left the bathroom. He's a funny dude.
Speaker 1: He's a funny dude.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 1: He's a pretty straight shooter, isn't he.
Speaker 2: He's such a straight shooter, like like like no nonsense until he until he's not, and then he's as funny as hell. He's given us some big old laughs in our in our time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He's a good fellow, and he's brave and kind. Yes, and I'm proud of our number one son, number one son.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we hope that you've enjoyed getting to know our number one son a little bit more. We've learned a few things about it ourselves.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I'm thinking about food now more whole different ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Thanks so much for listening.