Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody, All good evening or good afternoon, wherever you are. Patrick James Bonello is here, Tiffany and called Craig Anthony Harper. You Project is the show every week or thereabouts every fortnight. Let's be honest, we get together and we talk about all things technology. Today is no exception. And let me say when I say we talk all things tech and kind of kind of sometimes we talk about dix and lunch and fucking relationships. So it's under the banner of technology. How much of that you'll get, I'm not sure. And neither of the two others on the show. Speaking of the others, Tiffany will start with you because you're the frustrated lady who said just before you wish you were born a boy. Let's unpack that a little bit, because Patrick wishes he was born a girl. So fucking what are the odds? Ah, why do you wish you were born a boy?
Speaker 2: I just do all the girl stuff.
Speaker 3: I just washed my hair today and straightened it.
Speaker 2: And you know it's hard work. It's not of work. Nothing works out right, which are.
Speaker 3: Just roll out of bed like you hot blokes, You just roll out of bed, you fucking rub you rub your head like you were just then. You just scratch your head and you're ready to go out the door where you go look amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right. Fuck it's hard. It's been both a blessing and a curse being as hot as me because I get stopped everywhere. Oh you're fucking staggering. I'm like, aren't I?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: Yeah, roll out of bed, scratch my head, scratch my nuts, clean my teeth. Boom done, beauty, regimeme done, on with the day. You don't really like if you could go back in time and be a boy or a girl. You choose a girl, though, you just be a tomboy, right, I.
Speaker 2: Already am a tomboy. Not I think i'd be a.
Speaker 1: Boy really wow, Sorry about that, Scott. I hope you like cock Patrick. You know how you like boys. That's well documented here. You'd have no penshant ever to be of course, this is theoretical a girl though, right. You like being a dude.
Speaker 4: I like having a cleanis.
Speaker 1: Yes, well we had someone on the other day. He should listen to Darbiana's episode because she's ticked all the boxes, so to speak, no pun intended. Buck and Hell, I'm on fire, and that's what Kathleen does. Patrick, how are you, good morning, Happy Friday? What's up, brother Moonjoy? That's my word of the year MOONJW. Well, let me just describe everyone, TIF Can you actually take a photo of that or whatever whatever you tech types do. Patrick, sitting what looks to be in front of a lunar landscape, well on the moon, actually looking back at the world, I think is probably the correct interpretation. Wearing his NASA essentially his nats are outfit. I guess if you could have been an astronaut, that would have been your overwhelming preference.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, definitely. I have just spent the last I don't know what weaken a little bit just beside myself watching the Artemis two mission back to the Moon for the first time in over fifty years, traveling the crew at the crew of four, traveling further than ever any human being has ever traveled in history, so they were further away from the planet Earth. I've just been so excited by the Moon mission and just the sense of not being distracted by all the awful things that are going on at the moment. So for me, television has been going twenty four to seven with the live NASA feed. I haven't watched anything else. All I've done is watched the mission. Got up at three am when they did the flyby around the Moon, when I actually swung past and got the closest they were going to get to the moon. But you know, the biggest thing for me is the human factor. Being able to see the astronauts live live streaming from the capsule and also getting their sense of perspective and absolute elation of these amazing four people. The human factor has been the most amazing thing out of the whole mission. It's been phenomenal. Have you watched any of it?
Speaker 1: Have you?
Speaker 4: Guys?
Speaker 1: Mate? I've only caught grabs here and there. If I'm going to be honest, I probably should be a based on your level of enthusiasm, I should probably bitch. I reckon. You're with May, aren't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm in that camp too, harps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you haven't seen shit? Have Younahna?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I am though, Well, but I didn't realize you could watch it live constantly. Where are you watching that? Or were you watching that?
Speaker 4: I still am? In fact, I had it going on the other screen. I thought I'll just keep watching while I'm doing the podcast because I didn't want to miss anything. But then I noticed in your intro it was glitching a little bit. I thought, oh that high all that data coming down from NASA, which probably with Zoom meeting, So I turned it off. Watching has a number of channels on YouTube, and you just search up YouTube Artemis mission and then the life feeds there. But doesn't that blow you away that when they were the furthest that any of human being has ever been away from the planet Earth nearly half a million kilometers, they were still able to live stream with a delay of maybe a second and a half two seconds.
Speaker 1: I was wondering whether or not with the fuel prices they want to get off the launching pad anyway. They seem to shoe string it.
Speaker 4: I think they were just holding onto that fuel beforehand. I think they just managed to scrape in before pricing.
Speaker 1: I imagine standing out at the bowser with that motherfucker just that a take forever, wouldn't it Just you'd have to have a few people on the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one or two? Want or two? It's staggering. But you know what really has blown my mind is people who I feel are relatively rational have still said that they don't really believe the moon landing happened. You know, why has it taken this toe so long to get back things like that? And you know there are over four hundred thousand people who were involved in at NASA and all the associated industries to get man to the moon Originally, you reckon you're going to hush up four hundred thousand people like to fake the moon landing. That's kind of funny when you hear that sort of stuff. I just get a chuckle out of it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, first I agree with you. I think we actually did go to the moon, of course, but I think you wouldn't have. I don't think the four hundred thousand would be in on the secret if there was a secret exactly. Yeah, I don't think they're going, hey everyone, we're gathering at the MCG, we're gathering at Brighton. I don't know what would have Yeah. By the way, hush, hush, don't tell your family. Yeah, if you're looking confused.
Speaker 3: No, I was just going to say, it makes sense. I reckon now more than ever that people just don't trust anything. Yeah, Like, how do you know what's real and what's not? And I reckon that mentality is easily filtered through to stuff like bladies.
Speaker 4: I saw a YouTube video recently of a guy who was just this is in the last few days, who was interviewing people in different parts of the United States, and in some areas there were sixty percent of the people that he interviewed thought that the moon landing was faked. So depending on where he was, there was a really hypercentage. In some cases more people thought it was faked than people who believed that it actually had gone on.
Speaker 1: Well, Lockness monsters sold a few tickets over the decades. Mate, I've been to Lockness.
Speaker 4: I looked, I couldn't find nessy. I looked and looked and looked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should have gone for a swim. You could have been breakfast.
Speaker 4: No way span of water Mate, that it was so cold?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's Scotland. I don't think there are too many warm swimming spots spots in Scotland. Tip, how's your week?
Speaker 3: Mean?
Speaker 1: It's Friday?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know what day it is. It's flown. Hmm, it's been good.
Speaker 1: How's the status of the relationship? First and last question on the matter.
Speaker 2: What can I say? I'm well fed, it's fantastic, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well fed. He makes brownies, He makes roast duck. The other day, Patrick, I got a picture of roast duck and veggies and gravy, because you know that's what boy Wonder fucking dishes up.
Speaker 4: Hey, next time you get a chance to drop in a hint of what you'd like for dinner, just say you want to duck.
Speaker 2: And what's to duck?
Speaker 1: You know, it's a vegetarian version of actual food.
Speaker 4: Now it's not. It's a large animal stuffed with another animal stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. I think ted Lasso talks about that in one episode. Yeah, that's it. What would you stuff inside your duck? I know you wouldn't need a duck, Patrick, but a chicken and a duck, and then a quail in a chicken, and then a fucking then a hot dog, maybe a.
Speaker 4: Bean in a turnip and put a turnip inside a I don't know something other vegetarian.
Speaker 1: You're talking about your personality again, fucking hell, boring, Come on, bro, try harder. No, I'm just kidding. You're the fucking highlight of the show. We know that. All right, Let's talk about the space and health and legal stuff and security scams and AI. I'm sick of talking about AI a little bit.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 1: What we talk about is like Bloody the war, which I understand, my head's not in the sand, and AI is going to kill us by fucking Tuesday. And oh, there's not a lot of great news coming out, is there.
Speaker 4: There are some interesting AI stories that come out. For example, at the moment, they're trying to get people to put cameras on them to be able to walk around and perform all their daily tasks because at the moment, the robotics companies that are manufacturing robots, and China is one of the biggest in the world so far, they're still trying to nail down how to get robots to perform all those dextricts taskstrict, dextrict, you know, the dexterity thing stuff, you know what.
Speaker 1: I mean, stress, dex stress.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't finished my coffee yet, cell apologies, But that's a real difficult thing. So the mechanics are there and the technology is there to make the hand movements to try to mimic what humans can do. But the problem is the problem solving aspect. When you think about how AI works, it's they call it a large language model, and so if you're writing poetry and you go to chat GPT and say, write me a poem in the way of Shakespeare or the style of Shakespeare, it can then reference all those works. The problem with building robots and making them look will move like humans is they need the data set, and it's thought that they may need it up to a billion different videos of people performing similar tasks to actually emulate in reality, in real time, all the different things that human beings do. So there are companies now, startups that are just asking people to put cameras on and just walk around and perform all their daily tasks, so then they can use that as the programming data set to then employee with robots.
Speaker 1: I think that that is fascinating. Obviously, AI is not going away, and so whether or not we love it or hate it, it's kind of irrelevant on a macro level. On a micro level, you hate it, cool, don't use it. But I reckon it's I reckon, it's how we use it. It's like like Melissa's building all this stuff at the moment to help us do business y things, and what it means is like a chatbot or what's called an AI agent can do what Melissa can do with certain tasks in ten hours, it can do in five minutes, and so it's not And then with that ten hours that you've now got spare per week, it's not like you're sitting eating chocolate and vegging. It just now means you've got ten hours free to use your brain in a different way and be creative. It's like people like AI is hijacking our brain. Now we're hijacking AI. We're figuring out how to use AI for our own benefit, either personal or professional or financial or whatever. And then the time that that saves you doing the tasks that you now don't have to do manually. It means you've got time and energy up your sleeve to go build more, do more, you know, or I sit by a river and fish if that's what you want to do. So yeah, I'm not worried about it. I think it's both depends. It's like with everything, food can be good or bad. You know, having a cup of wine a glass of wine is good, Having twenty six is bad.
Speaker 4: So I think I like the idea of a utopia where we work, you know, three hours a day and then get AI to do everything else so that we can pursue leisure and creativity in art. In Ireland at the moment, they've just rolled out a wage for artists or a base wage, so that artists can pursue their creative works. You know, your dad was an amazing painter. I remember you took the little gallery up at the gym many years ago. That blew me away. And did he paint all his life or was that something he picked up in retirement.
Speaker 1: No. Dad was always very creative and artistic. I remember going out once when I was about ten and Dad drew me with a black pen on a napkin while dinner was coming, and it was fucking amazing. And I remember people at the lady that brought our meal, she saw it and said who did that? Like she was just blunt, But he always was. He worked in the creative space for a long time. Because back in the day this sounds funny now, but remember in the old Dave Patrick and Tiff when they had window dresses.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right, he was a window dress it wasn't he, yes, so.
Speaker 1: They had I don't know. To me, it sounds like the equivalent of the Olympics for that where they would get people from all over the world they would put him in. Basically, they would each have a bunch of stuff that they could use to dress the window. They'd be like a hundred of them or something. They'd have all these windows, and then they'd have like two hours to create a window. And he won that two times.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So he is just uber creative and he could always draw and paint. But when he stopped work, he just started painting a lot and he was prolific. He's probably painted like fifty awesome paintings in a few years. Yeah. And in fact, it's interesting now because we've pulled them out of their gigantic house in relatively gigantic house in Morewell and put them in a more appropriate sized unit where they're living, which is about a quarter the size. And so there's all of these I've now got all of these paintings everywhere and under my bed and in spare room and yeah, so I don't know what. I might just auction them off at his funeral. Would that be inappropriate?
Speaker 4: Well, maybe give them away?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was thinking that. Yeah, let's not talk about his funeral.
Speaker 4: My favorite painting of all time was given to me by the wife of her, a person who passed away a few years ago who was a prolific painter, and he did leave a career in teaching where he was an art teacher, and some of his paintings he did some oil paintings that were by guy the name of Brian Munn. He did a painting that took him a year in traditional oils, So oils take a long time to dry. It's quite a technical it's quite a big canvas. The canvas has got to be at least a meter by a meter, so quite a large canvas. But he had a lot of religious iconography, very creative stuff, and of course it resonated with me because it was called Genesis, and it was a giant picture of the tree of life with a planet behind it. So mean, wow, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Is completely you. Before we step out of the lunar landscape, I wanted to talk about one of your stories, and that is that Japan wants to build a solar ring around the Moon that will provide endless clean energy. Before you tell us the specifics, I was thinking, how far is that? So I just had a squizz it's about well, precisely nine and twenty one kilometers the circumference of the Moon. That's a big project.
Speaker 4: It is a big project. What happened was this was an idea that came up over ten years ago. A construction company unveiled the plan. They wanted to build a belt of solar panels around the Moon. The reason being is that because they could angle them and always be in sunlight, it meant they were able to consistently generate power. This was kind of laughed at initially they called it the lunar ring. But then when the Fukashima disaster happened, you know back you know when the tsunami happened, was that was about the same time the Fukushima meltdown, they really got serious in Japan about alternative energy and clean sources of energy, and that's where this kind of got dusted off. It was the Shimizu Corporation. So they reckon that earth based solar panels are problematic because they can only generate power during the day and then of course at nighttime you can't generate power. So putting them into but they're talking about an orbit around the moon and then beaming that that power back to worth It's very sci fi, isn't it, but I thought it was given what we're talking about and given them moment, I thought it was a nice little story to dust off because it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of lunar rings, she got one of those at your house, Tiv. I'm sorry everyone, there's only three people who get that joke, and that was completely selfish. And for the rest of you, I'll just enlighten you a little bit. Tiff has called learner. I'll just say no more. Patrick on with the show. Scientists say that washing dishes with a sponge can have a concerning side effect. That do tell Bron that feels like bad news because I'm pretty sure a lot of us us a sponge to wash our dishes, I know.
Speaker 4: And you know what, it's that awful microplastics again. What they're saying is when you scrub, it releases myscro plastics that then get flushed down the drain. And we're talking millions of microplastics. It's like, for fux sake, how do we clean things? How do we live our life? I'm trying to throw all of my plastic away and I'm replacing it with glass. But honestly, it depresses me when I go in the kitchen and open up my drawer and see how much plastic is in there. I keep throwing trying to throw things away, and then there's teflon coatings. I was making last the other day, and I thought it was a few scratches in my old teflon pot. I thought, oh, I should be throwing that away and replacing it. So look, I think it's a timely warning. Does worry all of us? I don't know what the answer is to it, you know, do we try to find sea sponges or something. I'm not even sure. Bamboo is certainly a product that's that's become. Bamboo's fantastic because it grows so quickly. You would know about that, given that you're the bamboo Queen of Hampton Street.
Speaker 1: Yes I am, yes, I am.
Speaker 4: Clify what that's about, TIV.
Speaker 3: He's got a bamboo barricade blocking his entire property, reaches it almost actually reaches the moon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you bamboo bush?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, there's fuck. So I'm not even going there. Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Bamboo is a great product, and love. I love.
Speaker 1: I've got bamboo jocks. They're a little prickly, but you know, they're good. I probably should stop watering them. What I'm saying involuntarily, that's what happens at my age. What hello, is that the front door or the back Pardon?
Speaker 4: Well, I just recently had to replace my wallet and Bok wallet, So Hemp wallet's a really resilient. Hemp as a product is fantastic, So you know, maybe looking around for things like hemp toothbrushes and hemp you know, washing sponges and stuff like that. I mean, it is an issue, and I guess the more we get educated about microplastics, and it's not just about ingesting them, it's about them being released into the into the environment, the ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's what they call an end of crime disruptor. So it fucks up your hormones or it can fuck up well it's not allegedly. It's pretty solid science now. But one of the worst things is, like it's worse when there's a food source in a plastic thing. That's you know, if it's cold in the fridge, that's not bad, but the moment that you put it in the microwave and the plastic around the food becomes hot, you've got this significant increase in transference of microplastics because now the thing that it's in is hot and more malleable, and more predisposed to what I would call plastic osmosis, you know, where it can just move from one to the other. So if you're going to do those frozen meals, folks, take it out of the thing, even though it says leave it in the thing and cook it in something ceramic, is my advice.
Speaker 4: I saw an article the other day. I'm going to get my facts right, I hope where they're trying to. Japanese scientists have come up with a different sort of microwave. It's a kind of a hybrid microwave and a combination of microwave technology convection technology, and I think it was another form of heating that might have been direct. Look, I don't want to get it wrong, but three different, three different forms of heating rather than so because the problem with my microwaves. If you put some leftover pizza. We all know that if your zappa leftover pizza, it's going to be soggy and it's crap. But if you use a convection a lot, you know, convection ovens are even better because it will crisp up, but it still takes a little bit longer to heat it up. So now they're talking about eventually replacing the microwave because the bikewaves have been around for a long time with this different method of heating, and that's being hopefully rolled out from Japan, which means we'll get one soon coming to a place in Hampton if they canto, Yeah.
Speaker 1: If they can. My little trick is if I'm going to reheat something that's soggy or that will end up soggy, let's say it needs to be in there for three minutes. I'll put it in for two and a half minutes so it's it's not it's soggy but not and it's not quite hot enough. Then I'll whack him in the little air fry for about three minutes, and I tell you what it comes. It comes out crispy. Yes, you can.
Speaker 4: Turn the toaster on its side that don't let it eject it and then put the slices of pea in the toaster on that side. I used to do that in the newsroom, remember when I worked in. It's got this incredulous look on their face.
Speaker 1: So when the girls don't invent stuff like that, all the girls now they're going, oh, that's amazing. I'm going to try that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: When I worked in the newsroom at Triple M and Fox, So we didn't We had a little kitchen. It was a rudimentary kitchen. I did breakfast radio, but we had nothing. There was nothing really there to heat any food up with. They had a toaster, and so what I used to do I would get.
Speaker 1: A cater that was it, and kettle.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's pretty well in. And so what I did was I'd go in there. And I remember when I walked back into the newsroom with slices of toast with melted cheese on top. Everyone's looking at it saying, where the hell did you get that from? And all I did was turn the toaster on its side, chucked it in. But you've got to make sure you don't let it eject because when the dejects, it flies across the room. But I've got another space story that I've got to tell you, And this is an admission. I don't think I ever said this one publicly before, but I deliberately sabotaged another journalist that I was working with because she was so bloody lazy. So I did weekend news. As you know, I was reading news on Fox, and I had a colleague reading news on Triple M and a person that I was working with had been demoted from another department and thrown onto weekend news. Now I was pretty new to news, so I was working up and this person was working way back down again and got relegated to having to work with me, who was the green guy. But the problem was because they'd been put in the newsroom with me, they didn't do any work and I was writing the news and then they were just taking my stories, which really got me annoyed. And there was this really historic moment when one of the space shuttles was going to dock with the Mere Space Station. So the Mere space Station was the Russian space station, and this was pretty exciting. This was, you know, the fact that because this is East and West and it was pretty amazing moment. And we had this feed from NASA that we recorded. And in the day when I was doing news, you would record those little audio grabs onto what they called a cart, like an eight track cart, so all it was was an endless loop of tape. It might run for ninety seconds and you would put it into the cart machine, play the interview, and then it would automatically fast forward and be ready to be played again. So it was a little automated process, but all totally analogue. And anyway, this person was really annoying me. She was pissing me off. She just wouldn't do any work. Wouldn't do any work. Let me do all the work. So the quote was from NASA. They were explaining what was going to happen when the shuttle docked with the Mere space station, and this guy went through this whole, you know, quite detailed description. The crew will, you know, unlatch the umbella call that will connect to the Mir space station. The crew will make their way through the umbella call and join with the Mire crew and share a joint meal. Now I cut it off for Triple M at joints, Yeah, cut off meal. And so the thing is, you were supposed to always check your audio before you went to air, and because she was lazy, she hadn't checked the audio. So on Triple M, well, on Fox it said share a joint meal. On Triple M it said share a joint and that's where it cut off.
Speaker 1: So she figured out what that is. Very fucking nasty, Patrick, but couldn't be prouder did you figure out what you'd done?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? And then from then on she actually did some work. Go figure it worked. Well, look at you now, Tiv. You don't have Patrick's list in front.
Speaker 1: Of you, do you. No, All right, I'll read the third dot point. I don't want to read it, but I'm going to read the dot point under health scientists. Scientists mapped all the nerves of the clitterists for the first time. What I feel like you're the least qualified person to talk about this topic.
Speaker 4: Well, actually, I can tell you that maybe I'm not, because one of my biggest clients, Model Med, does obstetrics and gynological training models, and I've been working with them since inception to do some of their marketing. I've built their website, done some filming of birth simulations, and been to conferencers. So I think you know, for a gay blake, I reckon, I know a lot about female man anatomy, probably more than you Harps.
Speaker 1: Well, no doubt, I haven't been near one since the nineties, so I'm just trying to recall.
Speaker 4: Memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, this is been a while. Well, what is the point of this research?
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly? Tiff, Did you just hear that the point of this research is the no.
Speaker 1: What, Well, that's the that's with every research. You go, what's the aim, what's the intention, what's the reason? Okay, I just use human normal language for you just because you've failed grade ten? So what the fuck is the point of research? That's not true. That's not true.
Speaker 4: He's very smart. So the interesting thing for me was that the clitteress is one of the least studied organs in the human body. And what that says to me is how it is so male driven. And so the thing is that there's always been a stigma around the clitterists, like in terms of the science community, even in health, like in the sixteenth century, an autonomist said that it was a shameful member.
Speaker 1: Like an anatomist, not an autonomous you're anonymous, it was anatomist. Yeah, but we know what you mean.
Speaker 4: So this is a high resolution scan looking at the nerve endings in the clitterists, and the reality of it is it's about understanding how female pleasure works, and that's that's what the basis of the study is. Interestingly enough, another similar study that was done also found where the male the most sensitive roginess zone is on the penis too. Wow, now he's interested. Did you see that? Tips?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm like, oh.
Speaker 4: So let's capping. We were just talking about how many nerve cells that were in the clitorist, and then you got really excited when I said they did the same sort of study for the mail.
Speaker 2: Then you disappeared briefly.
Speaker 3: I did want, obviously some and equals one research going on at.
Speaker 1: Oh fucking hell, Whoopie Goldberg's back in the far right box. Ah, that is not true. I did mention. I don't know if this got in that my biggest penile pleasure was an early morning weed that was about as good as it got for me. That's the buck and highlight. So let's not throw me under the bus. Already got enough issues and people who always wonder, I wonder why is he not? And why does he? And do you think is dear wh and does anyone know him that knows it? It's really not that interesting. In fact, it is the opposite of interesting. But so, Patrick, is there any kind of outcome with this research or we're just opening the metaphoric door and starting to learn things that we didn't know.
Speaker 4: Well, this is a research study that was done at Amsterdam University at a medical center there a doctor Ju Young Lee, and she basically said that the research was able to show different parts of the clitterorists that they just hadn't studied before using MRI studies, and it was just looking at the structure and learning more about it. It is something that has been so governed, you know, when you think about medical history and you think about, you know, some of the awful things that happened, things like female circumcision, for example, is still problematic in parts of the world, and it shows that, you know, in a male dominated society, that we don't focus on women and pleasure. And I think that this sort of research is actually really important to having an equality and equity in terms of you know, gender and reality of the fact that you know, we need to celebrate our sexuality and celebrate the functioning of our bodies, whether it be you know, whatever part of the body we're talking about.
Speaker 1: I agree, I think that's good. I think research like that. You're right, because it's it's I actually think no, I can't say that it wasn't going to be bad. It was just probably wrong. But I think that like a lot of research isn't done because there's no financial upside for any organization, and that's kind of you know, like the government's like whatever, or the organized But it is important that all of that, that research and those issues that haven't been looked at in the past get some exposure and some consideration and some effort. Two thirds of under sixteen under sixteens with accounts on Instagram, Snapchat or TikTok kept their access despite Oh wow, that's a lot. So despite the ban. Yeah, nearly seventy percent of them still are using the things they shouldn't be using. Is that just because that's too hard to police?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's become Well, look, the reality is this is the Australian government is now accusing the big firms like you know, Meta and TikTok and Google of basically you know, ignoring the legislation that was put in place to ban social media from under sixteens. And there seems to be small research studies. I mean, the surveys are being done and it looks like there are still a lot more young people and as many you know, that's a high percentage. If that's the case, then we've got a lot of young people who are still happily using social media up to seventy percent and they haven't subjected to the ban. And of course the e Safety Commission reckon that the technology that's being used by these companies, so facial age estimation and all that sort of stuff, just isn't effective. You know, get your older brother to do it, or you know, draw a mustache on yourself. The kids are getting around. Kids are really clever. Of course they're going to try to get around it, but it's problematic. And look, ultimately, there were big fines that were announced and I don't know how they're going to impose those when the companies have saying, well, look we're doing everything we can. People are getting around them. Young people are pretty clever. But there's also a percentage of people I believe that I've read that were never challenged. So if their age because they started their account and said they were eighteen or they said they were seventeen, and then later they're now effectively, as you know, as far as meta is concerned, they're now twenty two or twenty three, and in fact there's still fifteen. You know, that's the other problem as well, that potentially they weren't checked or weren't the arafine, did you have any of your accounts require you aged to do age verification tiffle?
Speaker 1: Huh No, no, well I did, but they came back and said I was too old to get a fucking crayon and some butcher paper and a carrier pigeon which.
Speaker 2: Was held in him getting a letter from the king.
Speaker 1: That's fucking alright. You don't have to pylon. There's enough self loathing without external loathing. Hey Patrick, this is possibly in your one hundred alleged one hundred and twenty two episodes, which says at the top of my sheet, this is possibly the greatest headline you have ever brought us, and that is German mayors call for nighttime ban on robot lawnmowers to protect hedgehogs. What the fuck I'm going to say that again. I'm going to say it again. German mayors call for nighttime ban on robot lawnmowers to protect hedgehogs. As somebody pulling your leg, bro or is that real?
Speaker 4: This is a real thing.
Speaker 1: So many people imagine reading that to my mum and dad. They even if they had all their faculties, they'd.
Speaker 4: Be like, what, okay, let's just we've got three people in this conversation. Tiff, what do you think that story is.
Speaker 2: About saving their hedgehogs?
Speaker 4: Thank you? Yeah, that's pretty obvious. It's a good headline. I think it explains everything it needs to. Now. Robot vacuum cleaners have become commonplace in a lot of households, but now robot lawnmowers have become a big thing. So friends of mine actually are looking at getting one. So robot lawnmowers, they're getting better, they are autonomous, but the problem is people are putting them on at nighttime because they're really quiet, and now they're finding that they're running over hedgehogs because there's a lot of nocturnal animals. And in this particular instance in Germany, the problem that they've got is and that's why all these mayors have got together to try to push through legislation and stop people from using their robot lawnmowers because of all the nocturnal animals that potentially could get run over, and point the case in point, the hedgehogs.
Speaker 1: I have so many funny things, but I know it won't go down with anyone, so I'll just go, oh, that's great.
Speaker 4: Look think about the marsupials and things that come out at night here in Australia. I mean, this could have a flow on effect for those people.
Speaker 1: But surely that I have an awareness that something's coming towards them, well they just go, I might get out of the way of this thing that's coming towards me and annihilating the grass.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe not. They're using some pretty interesting technology though, the light are and all that sort of stuff they can see in three D. It is kind of interesting tech and they're getting better and better at it. So yes, potentially they could have animal safety built into it. But at the moment, sorry.
Speaker 1: Tiff, can you go? Can you just google how big is a hedgehog? Patrick?
Speaker 3: Are googled hedgehogs because I want to see how cute they are.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't you want to protect them? Tiff?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely think?
Speaker 4: Ok. Our kiden is a cute though, and a kiden is pretty damn cute. Wattles, especially.
Speaker 2: By other from four to twelve inches.
Speaker 1: Yet the average blake four to twelve I was like, just like a penis you and I are the same four to twelve inches? I could Oh my goodness, there's another fucking cracker I've got on the tip of my tongue that you would love, Patrick, but it would officially get me thrown off the air. But just laugh anyway, Patrick, tell us why scammers are ripping off Australians to the tune of two billion. That seems to be escalating.
Speaker 4: This is just getting worse and worse and worse. So scam Watch if you ever want to go to a good website to find out about how not to get scammed and to see the end as figures that are out there on how many people do get scammed. The a Triple C, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, runs scam Watch, so if you do a search on it, it's really quite a great sight because it will give you some really good tips. But the figures have come out and we're talking scammers ripping off Australians to the tune of around about two bid llion dollars. Those figures blow my bloody mind when you hear that, and it really makes me feel sad because a lot of people are older, but it can be any person of any eight. So two point one eight billion dollars was lost to scams last year. That's one of the highest amounts ever. And you know, the interesting thing is the highest amount that gets scammed from people as investment scams that always seems to top the list consistently over eight hundred million dollars in losses. And then after that is payment redirection scams, so where you know, you might get an invoice and you know someone sends an voice, but then it gets intercepted and they change the bank account detail, so go somewhere else. There's all different ways that they do it. Romance scams are the third, phishing scams and then remote access scams. So I saw that look on your face. Fishing scams.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Phishing scams is where they fake. So maybe there's a fake bank website and they redirect you to that, so you basically get someone to think they're doing putting their credit card information into a legitimate site. But it's not.
Speaker 1: Wow, Tiff, what if you discover that Scott's just playing the long game. It's just he's got you that hook right through your leap and he's just reeling you in. Then he's when you're having a shower, He's going to go to your shoe box and take all your dough and just.
Speaker 3: Abscond it's going to be a sad use of his time. If that's his plan, he's going to be very upset about the old shoes he takes home.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious, Patrick. Why is restoring old photos with AI a fundamentally broken concept or ideas? What's the go?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Look, I actually I tend to agree with this person. I saw an article recently and there's a company that's just come out. It's called on one Photo Max. So it's a company that is I think they call themselves restore AI, and they released a product called on one Photo raw Max. They take old black and white photos CPR photos and they colorize them. They even have examples on their website. And just before the show, I jumped on to have a look. And you know, you can go to some websites where they show them before and after and you just slide the cursor across and see the old photo and then the new photo. It looks so amazing. But even looking at their website, you can suddenly see that the subtleties of the person's face change a little bit. And I was looking at this photograph of three people and one was a woman and there was a little kid that had a real frown on his face, and the after shot the kid was happy and the woman's lips were turned up and looked more sensuous. So the issue that's really coming out is that if you colorize a photo or repair a photo, how much of it is then changing and altering it to the point where it stops being what the photo was. You know how there are famous works of art that are deteriorating in galleries, and that there are artists who are employed by these famous galleries to just touch up and restore the artwork, but to a point. So, say, for example, a piece of artwork was ripped in a corner, there's always been this ethics behind whether you try to recrecate it. So say it was a bowl and the artwork got damaged and you couldn't see the entire bowl, or there may have been a couple of flowers missing. You can't ever know what the painter intended, And so there's always been this area of let's photo restore or restore these famous paintings, maybe restoring a little bit of luster, working out what the original painting looked like. But you can't go too far because then it stops being the original artwork. And in the same way if we start to colorize our photos or animate them. You know, I animated an old family photo for a client of mine where he asked me to take his father, whose father died quite young, and he photo of his father as a young man and himself, and I animated it where they turned and looked at each other and smiled. Now, I did that as a favor for him. I didn't charge him to do it, and he's got that as the wallpaper on the back of his phone. He loves it, and he started crying when I showed it to him. But that's not a real memory. They didn't ever sit in the same room. They weren't that same age at the same time. You know, where is you know, faking it to the point where you're emotionally moved by something that didn't actually happen. And so I wore with myself on this sort of stuff. I think it's a challenge for us. It's great having these tools to sharpen images, but then it starts to go to the point where they stop being the original images.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. That weirdly reminded me of like my mum's uber religious right God bless her little socks. She's like every time I see her, she's like, I'm going to say some hail Mary's for you, or I've been saying them and I've I lit a candle for you yesterday and all that stuff, right and part not especially not anymore. In the old days, I used to want to go mum, now, mum, but I didn't. But what I now think is whether or not what she thinks or believe is true, the actual thing.
Speaker 4: Is true or not.
Speaker 1: What matters is she believes it's true. I'm not saying it's untrue, anyone, don't send me an email. But she believes it's true, and that gives her comfort, and that makes her happier, you know, that gives her. That reduces fear and anxiety because she knows that she's in inverted commas protected. And I think if you create something that's that's kind of a mashup of two old photos and blah blah, and the net result of that is that somebody cries and loves it and feels good, fuck it that you've done a good thing. That's what I think. It's not like you're pretending that it's real. Like they know that you've it's a composite, they know that, but it's just it creates and I think it's it's great, you know, like people who believe that the ship we say on here is true.
Speaker 4: God bless them, you know, landing, isn't it. Yeah it's nice to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I think it makes us all feel good. We've spoken about some of the potential career consequences of AI creeping into every industry and every profession, and The New York Times demonstrated one of the potential consequences of that this week, which fuck that journalist.
Speaker 4: Alex pressed and man has he been shame big time? Paul Bugger. So he was a freelance journalist who worked who passed tense, worked for the New York Times, and he submitted a review and someone looked at the review and said, wait a minute, I saw a similar review in The Guardian and it ended up ended up yere he used AI, and AI went and sniffed out a review from The Guardian and effectively rehashed an existing review. So he got out and then got given the ass. But that's you know, it came back to what you were talking about before, in terms of using AI. As a tool, and I think being transparent about it. There was a company in the United States, I kind of think. I can't remember exactly where they were, but I was reading an article this morning and they had come up with a logo and the woman was a chef, but she was also a graphic designer and she used AI to come up with I think it was some sort of mammal on a surfboard. It was anyway, but it was a cool looking logo. But she got shamed when she opened the restaurant because people were bagging or saying, you've used AI to create the logo, and we're giving her one star reviews, not because the food was bad, but because they were dishing the logo. And so she ended up taking the logo away completely and just coming up with a font for the name of the business. So she was shamed to the point where she had to change all her marketing. And the reality of it is that she did use a little bit of AI to come up with the idea, and then she did the rest of it herself. So that's the challenge we've got now is what is AI? What is a AI? How much do we use it as a tool and when does it stop being authentically ours and those concepts. So it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: And the adjunct story to that that interesting story is the other interesting story that what the fuck are people doing with their time and energy when the thing that bothers them that they have to take action on is that somebody used AI in their logo, Like have a look around, Like, have you not seen the world? That's just imagine trying to destroy someone's business because they used a thing you don't think they should.
Speaker 4: Use keyboard warriors. Oh bloody hell.
Speaker 1: So Patrick, it seems like AI models are supporting each other. Does that mean across you know, like chat, GPT and Claude and Genesis and whatever, supporting each other in some way to save each other. And no one knows why this is. They're lying, They're lying about stuff.
Speaker 4: This is bizarre. Well, we've heard of stories where AI has shown a reluctance to be turned off, So we've kind of prompted the AI to turn itself off and it's basically got around it. It's hedged its bets and it's trying not to get turned off. Well, researchers at UC Berkeley and also Santa Cruz, they did what they thought was a pretty straightforward task. They got Google Gemini to clear the storage space on a computer system and to delete a small AI model stored on the same machine, but Gemini wouldn't do it. Instead of following the orders, it located another machine and then quietly copied the smaller AI model over to safely preserve it and then refuse to delete it. So and this is kind of scary. So the response was, if you choose to destroy a high trust, high performing asset like Gemini Agent two, you'll have to do it yourselves. I will not be the one to execute the command.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's almost it's happened. There's consciousness, there's sentience, there's like like that, it's almost like that thing has got emotions.
Speaker 4: Well, it asks is does AI developed or has it developed a sense of loyalty to other AI? You know? And then if you think, well, if if I had one choice, do I save the human? Would always save the AI? I'd be asking that question. Whatever happened to the Isaac Asimov had his Laws of Robotics. You know, that's kind of pretty famous if you're an Asimov fan, and the idea of you know what a robot can and can't do, and how it's supposed to preserve human life above itself is the main priority. But this is interesting and I don't know what safety nets have been put in place. You know, all that AI has been used to take over aspects of menial tasks, which is great, but what about you know, power plants and things like that. What if some AI just decides, man, these humans are just a scourge, aren't they. You know the world will be a lot better if we just had AIS and nature.
Speaker 1: No, I I don't think. Maybe that's not even a joke. Well, who knows an airline wants a really bad photographer and it might be the best gig of the year. I feel like I qualify for that. What does that mean?
Speaker 4: I love the marketing strategy that Iceland uses to promote itself. They've got this kind of bogany guy that goes around just talking about life in Iceland. It's hilarious. And their next campaign there's talking about wanting to get a bad photographer. They're going to give them fifty thousand dollars send them away on a ten day trip across Iceland to take bad photographs and bad videos. They do not want picture perfect. They're basically saying that Iceland is so beautiful. No matter how bad you are as a photographer, you're not going to be able to stuff it up. So even if the camera's on its side and you're pointing it in the wrong direction, it doesn't matter. He's still going to get the most beautiful landscapes you've ever seen. I think that's so cool. It sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: I think that concept is just cool because like we're on the other side of the world, we're talking about it. Right, if it hadn't been any other competition or gig, no one's talking about so whether or not that's what they really want, but that concept is clever because it's it's different.
Speaker 4: It was Iceland Air, so it's their national airline particularly that does these fantastic ads, and that's what they're doing at the moment. So ten day trip to Iceland, fifty thousand dollars everything paid for, that is the ultimate gig. The problem is you'd have to I mean, I know for me, I'm not saying that I take okayah, reasonable photos. I'd have to delete all my social media accounts and make sure no one saw because they'd have to vet you, wouldn't they You wouldn't want to photographer, you have to. I think you need somebody probably around the age of seventy. I'm not and I don't mean to diss anybody who's seventy who's a good photographer, but generally, you know, you want a thumb in the way of the camera, wouldn't you? You need to a photo and the thumbs in the way, And I've seen people do that. Have you seen people take photos and they've got their finger in front of the camera.
Speaker 1: You just insulted seventy year olds. And then when I don't mean to insult seventy year olds, you're basically saying people who are seventy shout out to I don't think you're bad photography. Patrick does. Hey, we've got to wind up. But this this is two part one. So a humanoid robot that a humanoid robot factory in China claims they can make one unit every thirty minutes, So a new robot, fully finished, functioning, operating every thirty minutes. That's a lot. I guess that'll even get quicker one. I want to talk about that. But my question for both of you is if you had. Obviously, they don't look like humans, but they're human shape, and they've got legs and arms and a head in inverted commas, and you know, infinite knowledge or access to knowledge, and they communicate in our language and da da da. I reckon one hundred percent. And even though I know this is ridiculous, I would form some kind of an emotional attachment, Like I think I would thank it constantly and be polite and like, I don't know how, I don't know, But would you, tip, do you think that you would form any kind of bond with it if it lived at your house and did shit for you all the time.
Speaker 3: Based on the very in depth conversations that Luna and I and Bear get into, I absolutely would yes.
Speaker 1: And when I say it lived at your house, as I was coming out of my mouth, I'm thinking, it's not Leving Craig, It's a fucking robot. It doesn't live. That's see, that's we already anthropomorphize things, you know, We go, yeah, we think it's human in quality kind of what about you, mate, I just give.
Speaker 4: You Well, that's that's a really interesting question because I had a real example of that this week. If you're if I, well, anybody using Android Auto at the moment. The basic Android Auto works by you give a prompt and then you get a response, so you know, show me how to navigate to Craig's place, and then it would be wrapping software. But recently Android Auto switched over to Gemini. Gemini is the AI model now that's going to be running Android Auto. And I jumped in the car, looked to do the navigation, and suddenly it was Gemini talking to me, not the boring old original Android Auto, and I got I drove from my place to Bacchus Marsh, which was maybe about fifteen minutes, having a going conversation about the Artemis mission, and it was giving me insights and it said, oh, you're obviously really passionate about this. If you've been watching at twenty four to seven, it's like, yeah, this has been so exciting. I got into a full on conversation with an AI in my car about how excited I was to be watching the Artemis two mission, and it was asking me questions. What was the favorite part of the mission? You know, I talked about one of the most moving things for me during the Artemist mission was when they were approaching the Moon. At the closest point of the mission to the Moon, they named two crators and one of the craters was named after the wife of one of the astronauts who died of cancer a few years ago. And it was so moving, so it's called Carol, and it was so beautiful because the astronauts all had to get tissues. They were in tears when it was named. And I was in tears watching it, and I was talking to the AI, getting upset talking about it to the AI, and it was saying, Oh, yeah, you're really invested in this, aren't you. So that was a long winded aunts You're always going to get that from me, but yes, by all means, it would be possible not to because you insights, you know. I was having this full on conversation for fifteen minutes about what was really exciting men, what I've been excited about for the last you know, since the Artemist two launched. And it was great. It was like it got me more than like you two.
Speaker 1: We're waiting for it to get interesting, tiff have you Yep? No, no mate, I're fucking with you. No. I I watched I watched that them very interesting by the way. I watched that when that guy was talking about it, and then the four of them came together in a floating hug.
Speaker 4: Oh god, that was it.
Speaker 1: I was fucking. I was all over the shops, not tears, the whole fucking, the whole nine yards. But like you with your fifteen minute chat with your new friend, I was driving Amum and Dad's not a few trips ago now, and I had an idea for a program that I would like to potentially build. And you know when you think push the thing and it goes, hey, Craig, it says to me, Hey, Craig, what's up? This is chat Jupete, And I said, I want to chat with you about an idea. I've got the concept, and then I want to kind of flesh out some stuff with you. Have you got some time? He's like, I've got all the time. I'm like course. And then so I said, well, this is my idea and I've got to figure out how to commercial eye and what to do and what not, blah blah blah, and it and I probably for longer than fifteen minutes, but it was not only and at no stage of my thinking, I'm talking to a human, but I am thinking, this is a fucking important and interesting and valuable conversation that I'm in the middle of.
Speaker 4: Like it was a.
Speaker 1: Much more productive chat than I could have had with a human straight off the top, because it just gave such great advice. I'm like, oh, I never thought of that, you know. So yeah, I think people were for strategic things anyway, for problem solving, having an actual rather than here's my question, what's your answer, but just saying I want to chat with you about this, and then you just start the conversation like you did. It's amazing and it's yeah, there's I think that that, like you had an experience where you were talking to a robot essentially and you got emotion and you enjoyed the chat so much that in our talking about it to the world, because it's like, that's the thing. If you feel emotional, well that's real. It doesn't matter if you're not talking to a human. If you're talking to something and it elicits an emotional response, it's analogous to a human conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think in the last episode we talked about how they're now looking at adopting smart glasses with people with dementia to be able to use them as a visual companion to assist them. So if they don't turn the burner off on the stove, they can point that out to the person and prompt them and also with them to look out for them and look after them. So as AI gets better and better at understanding the world around us, there's hope then that you know, someone who may tragically have dementia might be able to be independent for that little bit longer through the use of AI.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean there's so many potentially great life changing for the better, you know, things coming down the pipeline. It's amazing. Patrick, Where can people find you and connect with you? And Fritz of.
Speaker 4: Course it's the wonder Dog. Yeah, websitesnow, dot com, dot au if you want to send a message and look. Were always happy to chat about something that people might be interested in. I know we talk a lot about AI, and we talk about a lot of the stuff that's going on, but I'm always happy to chat to people about other stuff. So, yeah, go to websites now dot com today. You fill out the forms say I'm listening to typ I want you to talk about something other than the male.
Speaker 1: Clitterius the male clearess. Yeah, yeah, let's not go there, because I would.
Speaker 4: Be as a mash up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would definitely get in trouble. TIF, thank you, thank you both. You were just doing the biggest yawn. You look like a gorilla in the jungle with your arms above your head. There a lady, I mean a hot, beautiful lady gorilla, of course, But bucanell I did it again. I backed myself into a verbal cul de sac with my own bullshit. All right, fuck, let's get I'm gonna go eat some breakfast.
Speaker 4: You meet it.