Speaker 1: Okay, welcome to the Daily Telegraph Ineral podcast. Adam Mobs here again with Michael Carrianas and the soon to be chairman of the Premier Regulator.
Speaker 2: To start the media header. Communications will work our way. You get your gig there if you want one. It could be an underlink.
Speaker 3: Out here. Your name was on the story, pal, I didn't even read it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, you approved.
Speaker 1: It today you started Listen, gis Well, who knows who's going to be in charge of the game at that point, Who's going.
Speaker 2: To chosen commissioner. He's just that's his job, that's his on gazillions of dollars and he's in charge of Premier room.
Speaker 3: Most people don't know what you're talking.
Speaker 2: About, No, they don't.
Speaker 1: We should probably something.
Speaker 2: He should take greater control of the show this earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I just I don't like to open up a little rib. So I thought it was a good bit of levity, a little bit of levity.
Speaker 2: It's serious, man, Just for like it was a.
Speaker 1: Good story this week around how well, maybe some clubs were trying to wrangle their way into a little bit of finances on the back of expansion and leveraged some things and the good news.
Speaker 3: It was Ready's first day back from Paris and by midday managed to piss off half of it.
Speaker 4: So welcome back reading.
Speaker 1: It's a good I got called in the principals off going on Ready's back from Paris.
Speaker 2: Just a bit of argie bargie the wight around. They'll get money out of it all in the expansion, they'll get plenty of money. Great, that was Buzz, while is he good?
Speaker 4: The punters love Buzz, particularly on this pod delusion.
Speaker 2: We love them, we love the pun It's.
Speaker 1: Did a very good job on Triple M.
Speaker 2: So he kept telling me that he text from him every Sunday. I was magnificent again today, these two.
Speaker 1: Going at it on Saturday and then putting it onto me, is that who are you going to tune into? And then two minutes before his first shift on Triple M, he texts, Buzz, don't be up, Buzz.
Speaker 2: Who did you tune into? Who?
Speaker 4: I didn't?
Speaker 1: I started off with bars and they moved on to me Georgia.
Speaker 2: Yeah fair enough this week when back next to week next. I was supposed to be on last weekend, but my son's soccer games and I'm the coach and coached him for a month, so I asked if Buzz could stand in for me. He did so reluctantly. He said, apparently he did a magnificent joby of the game.
Speaker 1: I'm sure his wallet thanks you exactly.
Speaker 2: He promised to shout me at lunch. At least he should do.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't shout out for Shark bit him. We've got to get into this. Immortals have been named well the dinner was there ron Court fourteenth of Mortal emotional ceremony. She's looked on TV. I was at home working at the time. You blokes were there getting a free feed working. I had ron Coot's quotes online before someone out there threatened to file them. I was working overtime. Looked like a good celebration in the room.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was a great, great occasion. Dragged on for a bit, but I had so many people to induct, but there was a lot, but it was. It was a really good night. Great, a lot of people you don't often see right in the same room together and Ronnie Coot. Look, I thought cam Smith should have been the next to Mortal. But I'm not going to argue about ron Kot. I mean he's a legend of the game. But for me it had to be I thought cam Smith was the logical one. Can't We'll get his turn in whenever they do it again, for his time whatever. But that's good for Ron, happy for him, and obviously it was a great night.
Speaker 4: It was a nice idea. Was the first one I've ever been to.
Speaker 3: A bit different to the daily ms where Dallians probably get a lot of a party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you normally blithering after an.
Speaker 3: Maybe back in the day, not the last get back into it.
Speaker 4: I'm due, but so it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was really nice. It was the way the NRL did it was good.
Speaker 3: Obviously, lots of people to celebrate. But yeah, Ron Kurt, I've said it before and with radio I would have gone for camp Smith. But the excitement levels, the proudness, the fact that you know, he said, I've turned up to these before, and so to come and still be there and still be a you know, a great statesman of the game, eighty years of age and he's still the biggest fan of the game and.
Speaker 4: So strong in his memories.
Speaker 2: Isn't funny because was there as well right now and in this era of concussion and CT ct wrong couped up there, really lucid. Yeah, Covered ninety three really locid. Great memory on the stage, slowed down, somebody helping me on the stairs, right down.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that were magical moments seeing those guys. Obviously I remember Ken Arthursen through the running the game and the like, but having him and John Clayle inducted at the same time and watching bounce off each other again was great. So there were so many great moments there. But you know, I commend ron Kot's induction.
Speaker 1: All right, So you both said that you were to went Cam Smith. Camp Smith retired what end of twenty nineteen and twenty three years ago? Yeah, twenty twenty. So Ron Coots last game nineteen to seventy eight? Are you washing out anyone in between that era? To Cam Smith? Is this where you're going with your next either?
Speaker 3: More pretty clear on that, right. I've seen two mortals against the people, can you. I've seen two mortals in my life, Andrew John's and Cameron Smith Thurston not Thurston. The only one that I think I may change in time is Billy Slater. He'd be the next, he'd be the top of the rest, and then Thurston Luckier Fitler are probably just that tied daily probably see, I find Cooper Kronk so interesting. Like Cooper kron not in a mortal for mine, right, but you look at his career and I think you know, when you hear people speak about ron kot now they speak of his record, Okay, in thirty years time, In twenty years time, I think the same could be said about Cooper Kronk because you look at his record, he has the best record of any more than day player. He has the best record with Smith and Slater and all those guys if you're looking at numbers.
Speaker 2: Alone in terms of premierships.
Speaker 3: Premierships and obviously second most games played, the amount of test matches, daily ms and all that sort of stuff. Right, He's record is the best, okay mad of all those guys you know, to do it two clubs and stuff like that. There's a lot to be said for it playability alone. He's not an immortal. He's in a walk up Hall of famer. I'm comfortable with that, but I think I'll be interested. You can't predict the future, but in twenty years time, where the people look at his career and then you know, by then Slater might have been inducted by then Smith will definitely have been inducted. And we've seen ron Court all the legends that were inducted in and around him and his ear and the amount of times he's missed out.
Speaker 2: That's my issue I reckon with was waiting too long? You know, I think there's a time frame where if you're not in within ten or your first three attempts, you're not eligible again. Yeah, because I think over time it colors your judgment a little bit. The longer it takes. You know, we have this nostalgic view view of the guys playing twenty thirty years ago, and we go, oh, you know, you forget, you forget what they're actually like, and you more lie on that record and they're sort of a reputation that grows mushrooms over time. Right. So that's why I think you need a cutoff point where if you've been nominated three times, I know Peter Bedell suggested this in the in the meeting, and you've got held down if you've been if you've been nominated three times, you haven't made it. That's it. And I think in American sport that's what they do and I think it's in baseball they do that. I think it's the same in the NFL. If you're nominated three four times and you don't make it, that's your chance has gone. It's done.
Speaker 3: We've reached the cutoff now though, we've reached the point now where any line in eighties below or sooner than nineteen eighty you will not be in a mortal players can still be inducted into I don't think there's a time lit on the Hall of Fame right, no, but for our mortals, I think now we're up to the nineteen eighties era. Whether or not they're players they get inducted or not, I'm not sure, but I think that's where we're up to. And eventually, you know, after the next lot are we're up to the two thousands.
Speaker 2: For me, the only ones can the current era is the only one you can put in. But I'm sure in twenty years time, you know, people will sit back and go, oh, you should have JT. And there you should have Cooper Kronk, and you should have BILLI sed later and then probably Lucky Ja to Freddie you know alpha your law get mentioned. Yeah, because because as I said, when you sit back when you're not living in the present present, you don't have a vivid sort of recollection of them from like Zipa was yesterday. Of course, I think it changes your view of them.
Speaker 1: So you're all out the likes Ken Irvine, all Time Graves, Triscore or.
Speaker 4: All those guys.
Speaker 3: Respectfully, we've moved past that era now for immortal Inductions Hall of Fame, it's open still and so Courdy at the time was a bees.
Speaker 1: You know what from being selected apparently in the first time, first time round. And I think there's been a bit of work to do to rectify this concept because who would have thought in rugby league that the moment to honor greatest ever came from a white promotion from a now defunct gravy league magazine. But this is where we are. We've got to this point. We look at those eighties I kind of agree. You look at those eighties guys now and go, okay, Brett Kenny Sterling, Ricky our Fie then inter Lockie and you've got to make you have to start making these decisions. I mean, Steve Rodgers, who you know. People argue that Sludge might have missed out because Boso was in and you know, sort of similar positions, playing the senters, a bit of Boso played.
Speaker 3: If you've got to win a camp, don't you. I don't know Wally like Wally, but Wally had a different career. I think that's right, that's right. So I think the only knock I never saw Steve Rodgers play. The only knock would be if we're looking at and I'm looking at numbers here, right, you don't don't want a camp, don't.
Speaker 4: I honestly don't think you can be an a mortal.
Speaker 1: So the only guy from that ear that I mean, and it might be nostalgia. I love Brett Kenny. I love watching Brett Kenny play. He was he was when he was in my team, watching him playground, anything can happen, but you've got to have that level like a Hall of Famer easily. The immortals have got to be. You've got to keep them exclusive. And now that we've wrapped to fourteen, because back to what where were we when we only had Joey was the eight back in two thousand and fourteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you gotta be really careful we don't lose that.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying, that's my point because you've got guys like so I find it hard. I find Cam Kim, Joey, Billy, and then I can't split Thirst and Lockier, Fitdler daily those guys, I can't split them, right, So for mine, I can't have more as mortals. That's that's my issue with And they're all legends of the game, outstanding players, but I can't split those. So if you can't split them, I don't want to add. So first I had Thirst and really high up am I.
Speaker 2: I think he's above that group you just mentioned, but I don't think he's at the Smith John's Lewis level. I think he's just a notch below that.
Speaker 3: Ye, where do you see Billy?
Speaker 2: I think Billy's with JT. Yeah, I think Billy's ad that.
Speaker 3: But if it's if those two are closed, then you can argue they're close, but I don't think they're in. Then you could argue those guys might get better with time, as we say, right like once, I probably will, but once I watch more like like once, if in twenty years time Billy Slader is the best fullback I've ever seen, I'd probably vote for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, hope you're not in the panel. No, I love Billy. We're on these days. Hopefully he's on the panel, Billy and gets you over the line. Brother.
Speaker 4: But I would have if I was on the panel, I would have voted for Kemp Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, question without notice. Current generation possibilities Nathan Cleary clear, Yeah, he's he's probably Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, I don't think right now to me, right now, Nathan's not at a point. What's Nathan twenties?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if his career ended right now, he wouldn't have been.
Speaker 2: He's got to show a bit more for me, particularly at that elite level. No, it's not enough. No, not for if that's the case, you put every player from the Dragon's team that won eleven straight would be.
Speaker 1: But if you're I'm happy with Bert.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm just.
Speaker 4: Saying, right like, if he if he's career ended right now, it's a Hall.
Speaker 3: Of Fame career. He's not in the mortal right now, but he's tracking towards being one you.
Speaker 2: Got for me. He's got to own origin and he hasn't known either of those arenas.
Speaker 1: No, no, not.
Speaker 4: Yet, but he's tracking.
Speaker 2: He's on the path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd be.
Speaker 4: The I can't think of another player that I'd have.
Speaker 3: There's lots of Hall of famers, but I can't think of another player that i'd have in the immortal realm.
Speaker 1: If you had a guy that you needed to kick a kick from the sideline or a forty minute field goal or a clutch play to win your a game, to save your life, it's.
Speaker 3: Cleary if you're looking at all, like DC as a Hall of Famer, James d Esko.
Speaker 2: Is a Hall of Fame, Monster's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Getting what do you see guys like Tom Travoyevich No not Yeah, his injuries. Do you think he could get to get there?
Speaker 3: He could get there if he can play, If he can play three uninjured years, merely win a comp he's in.
Speaker 1: Is it amortal?
Speaker 3: No? No fame, hall of fame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't see Tommy.
Speaker 3: Sorry, no, not not unless he strings three is where he wins the daily end and they win a couple.
Speaker 1: Of years, go back to the last twenty twenty twenty one season that.
Speaker 4: We've seen one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if he's at his when he's at his badble, you know, but.
Speaker 1: It's a clear run where he can dominate the comp for five or six years, Like.
Speaker 3: G I right where you saw him playing like g I Hall of Fame free but not an immortal for mine.
Speaker 4: G right, like, probably I probably can't.
Speaker 3: I'd have Tommy at that level, but g I did it for longer, more consistently.
Speaker 1: At the moment, just on g I, can I give a shout out to Vonnie Sampson and the job that she She's a pro. She's so good at hosting it. See that obviously g I. Since retiring and then coming back in the spotlight, he didn't look overly comfortable and nursed him through. She's so good.
Speaker 3: At what she did, and VOSSI was Outstanding's like that. You can see the fans right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, when he told her she forgot the autograph book, I thought it was a very good line. That was hilarious. But I thought, yeah they were both. Yeah, that was good product.
Speaker 2: It was great show. They did a really good job of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, really good job. Why did they have the immortal announcement in the middle of the show.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have some exclusive content.
Speaker 1: We're going to hold that because it'll be show.
Speaker 3: So I was a little bit confisted when I sort of thought, like, and then they said we're going to announce the next to mortal, and we sort of looked at each other and going, wow, that went from zero to one hundred very very quickly. But there was a very important guest in the crowd that had to go back, go to camera and run the country apparently, so Albo with his with his schedule, needed to get out. But it was nine o'clock or whatever the case may be. So they put the immortal onnouncement in the middle of the evening so Albert could be there to make the announcement. And then after he made the announcement, he sat back down and then after Ron had finished his speech in the video tribute, he was out the door to get back to Canberra.
Speaker 1: I would have thought, because the tele prompter broke, that he.
Speaker 2: Might That was a little bit awkward, Yeah, because when I was doing at that point, but I missed that.
Speaker 1: Well, he spoke and then he sort of just looked down the barrel and then he looked off for the side, and then it was almost Ron Burger he made.
Speaker 4: I saw it because it was blank. It was blank. We were right near a great lucky he knew who won and had to remember.
Speaker 3: It, and it wasn't he just stood there and it was waiting for the announcement of wrong Crut's name. I don't know if they were waiting for wrong Cut's name to come up. He was supposed to announce Ron Curt Order the case maybe, but lucky he knew, and lucky he's a footy guy that you know, you could have had a few former pms. It would have been like who is or what is what?
Speaker 1: And political political side?
Speaker 2: Yes, but he did.
Speaker 1: You could tell Albo's a footy guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was South so it wasn't foreign for him. But yeah, you know, he could have been like Malcolm Turmle up there and he would have had a clue, you know what I.
Speaker 4: Mean, Like I wouldn't have had.
Speaker 2: Enemy ally for the code, isn't he Like he always shows up at footy events. He's obviously a mad Souse fan. He's got to re love of the game. It's we're very fortunate to have someone like him in office. After after he's.
Speaker 3: About to Scott Morris, about to tip six hundred millions, so you know, hopefully, you know, I'm glad they waited for him or playing their schedule around him, because he's about to kip in a lot, a lot of cash.
Speaker 1: Can we get him in a Johnny Howard Dragon's style parachute tracksuit for for his walks version?
Speaker 4: Does his own tips?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for the timming comp right? He always tips?
Speaker 3: House should ask me if he's always going to tip PGT.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because Simon McLachlin, our deputy sported on the telegraph there is in contact with the highest office in the land and he's desperate to talk about footy how all the time. So it's yeah, wow, a bit of inside loves it.
Speaker 2: So down the ship. Wow, shocking was.
Speaker 1: Just a fired firing a shot without just a drive by from you.
Speaker 2: Just just bring my condolences to the PM. The way his team's going, they've been diabolical.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, And I'll tell you what that I was on. I was cheering South last week because yeah, I need a paramatter with the spoon. She's all the disappointment have been a Souse fan, but theoun actually liking them and going this is come on, someone stand up. And what about the finish of that game? Oh my god, I was celebrating like Dave fur and saw that, well you reckon. There was a little bit of we've got him, got him here, and then that went pretty under the radar, didn't it? The celebration from the house box and then the disappointment the.
Speaker 3: Head that are pretty like they adjusted pretty well. Yeah, I would have been smashing stuff.
Speaker 2: You're you're a angry man though, You've got a bit of a.
Speaker 1: Volatile you are breaking strash plates and stuff. How volatile will you be this weekend? Sharks Dragons, big game?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not really.
Speaker 2: Real passion?
Speaker 1: Can we get you out of your dad in here? I need a bit of passion? Have you given him the fifty back?
Speaker 4: Yeard?
Speaker 1: Have you heard this?
Speaker 2: What's telling?
Speaker 4: Did I turn this though?
Speaker 2: This is about the wooden spoons?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, So Braith and I had a bet while you're gone about Dragons v Bulldogs, like fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: On three sixty wow for charity for charity.
Speaker 3: So I paid him up, like.
Speaker 2: That'll make a real difference.
Speaker 3: So I've paid you. I've paid him on the show on Wednesday night and on Wednesdays when I do three sixty my parents come over to help Clary look after the kids. Anyway, So there's fifty dollars left on my coffee table, and I said, what's this, he goes. Dad gave me the fifty back because he felt bad for making.
Speaker 1: Myself such a bad team. It is his fault though, Oh wow, you've want to camp this century. He's got nothing to apologize for now.
Speaker 3: He doesn't.
Speaker 4: But I had lots of heartbreak as a child.
Speaker 2: So that's a big gun. I hope for the competition's sake, for the Sharks win because that at least keeps Brisbane and I think newcastles selling the race. If the wind keeps the dolphins, so it keeps a bit of interest.
Speaker 3: About last, we'll clip that around that up and so that to Flannel, that's fine hopefully.
Speaker 2: He's a big fan of the show, is Flann.
Speaker 4: But he rang in the other door. It didn't really work.
Speaker 2: For the competition's sake. But you know, I think the dragon's playing good footy, aren't They was there on the weekend. They were outstanding on the I mean the gold coaster for Diabolical has been most of the year. But dragons are really good. He's got to going good fun. It's done a great job.
Speaker 1: With them good dragons versus bad dragons. When they win, they win well. When they lose, they get pumped.
Speaker 3: So the Sharks Trucks did well considered the Makeshifts Hart pairing they had last week.
Speaker 4: They've got a few.
Speaker 1: Players, yeah, Dan Atkinson, Yeah he's so chill.
Speaker 3: Just kicked the one from the silo that was underrated to draw the scores level then kick the winning field goal. But yeah, he's they're just not the most convincing side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going to go out straight sets. They fure topped four. Yes, straight sets gone, like last year straight sets and the year.
Speaker 3: Before and the.
Speaker 1: Games in straight sets sets gone. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Really well coached team, actually well coach team. He's actually well coached. But they don't have the cattle. They're not. They're not. I don't think they're. They're in the class at the top three teams.
Speaker 1: But we did the drawl last year. It was a release we said South sorry, Crown will got a soft draw. You think this is contributed to where they're their lofty position.
Speaker 3: They seem to win the games they should win, which is half the battle. And in this I don't know if they'll go straight that's ready. I don't think they win Week one.
Speaker 1: Okay, then you're going to come up against maybe a mainly or a Canterbury.
Speaker 3: Yeah, straight, that's ready, that's pretty easy.
Speaker 2: They just they need Blake there with that team a bit next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My item cominghin eighths come into the season because I just wasn't convincing their forward park. I thought they was two the same same. The f Blake signing is huge form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be a difference maker them at eighth. You had Raiders bottom four, which probably it's not quite gonna happen.
Speaker 2: You have the Spoon again.
Speaker 1: Tigers Tigers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember. I think the drafts, maybe the Dogs.
Speaker 4: Maybe you would have had the dogs, that'd be worse.
Speaker 2: I didn't know the targets because you wouldn't you be trusted. I can't remember my head.
Speaker 1: I don't get back and find that.
Speaker 3: Pull that out the other week. What's that wouldn't spoon predictions? I could send to Flanna that I didn't tip the company?
Speaker 2: Didn't you bag? And on ABC Radio? Is that what he's talking about?
Speaker 1: Stations? You have a bag on the platform everywhere.
Speaker 4: Very powerful.
Speaker 2: That's why he should be on the Immortal Voting Committee. Yeah, okay, sorry, yeah, that's silly. Eventually, PVL, if you're listening, Eventually.
Speaker 3: We had a chat to him. So not the next one, the next next one for you, he won't be around?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Will he still running the game?
Speaker 2: Could be?
Speaker 3: Are you pitching up for the next one?
Speaker 1: Premier League was pitching up for the next one?
Speaker 2: Said he could have help helped me out. He knew someone could help me out.
Speaker 3: I said, yeah, ready, but the next next one, I'm in.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the criteria for getting a spot on there? Next? Is it? You're in there for life and a.
Speaker 2: Couple of positive stories. Don't write about Premier Rugby League.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might have stuffer a setback this week. Anything else you're looking forward to this weekend? Panthers without Cleary, no offense to the Raiders, but they're only playing the Raiders.
Speaker 3: I'll be intriguing to see Jerome again, just take command to that side. He was outstanding when Nathan was missing last year, earlier this year, and you know they just penrith over the last couple of years have found a way to time their injuries like as silly as that. That seems a very ridiculous statement, but a ridicular statement right then, like Jerome last year and he wasn't a hundred percent right, but still came back and played in a prelium and then got through most of the Grand Final and then like Nathan.
Speaker 2: Will be back.
Speaker 3: Wether or not he can get through the season will be you know, it'll be a ticking time on that shoulder, but you know he'll be back at some stage. So they just keep on on truck and they went great last week they were against the Storm.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to Storm Dolphins. I love I love a Craig Bellamy Wayne Bennett clash going on for so long now. Craig's got a great record against him, actually really dominant record. He's obviously had a good team for a long time and we just saw that footage. Yeah, Cameron Munster looks back to his best.
Speaker 3: Can I say something equally as dumb as I just said, the Storm of the the.
Speaker 4: Worst most dominant side I've seen.
Speaker 2: It's fair cool.
Speaker 3: Like they're nowhere near one hundred percent, They're nowhere near what I think they could produce, and that they go to Penrith beat the premiers and walk away with the points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three rounds ago, you've basically signed up the minor premiership and I'm sitting there going.
Speaker 2: I thought that was one of their better performances.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was in terms of convinced. They just put.
Speaker 3: In an eighty minute forwards at the top level.
Speaker 4: It's scary.
Speaker 1: Do you think he's cranky for no reason? Bellamy's the reason why.
Speaker 3: And it must be Fiveustralian from because he goes, I can see what we've got here, and I think he's worried that come September if it's not there that they could.
Speaker 4: See this is a massive wasted opportunity.
Speaker 3: I think that's probably where his ant comes from at the moment, because they're going to finish Minor Premier.
Speaker 4: It's clearly the best side this year. And I don't think they've been.
Speaker 2: Great, don't mean overly convincing, have they? They won a lot of tight games. They win type games in Melbourne. But geez, they've got some striker, everyone's available, everyone's fine.
Speaker 1: Great, Where do you fit far logo and.
Speaker 3: Like last week came on in the middle of the field, they played half, then played wing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jason Royles, can you have a little word with your club, your former club down there? You might want to get a few up here with some.
Speaker 2: Clubs trying it. Horn Wish but they won't let him go because he's so important to them. So some clubs are willing to give him a starting spot. Melbourne say no, no, no, hands off, You're staying here. And I don't think he particularly wants to leave because he enjoys it down there. It's good for his football.
Speaker 3: It's great for Yeah, so they.
Speaker 2: Look good Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Have we got a truckload of listener questions?
Speaker 2: I was on didn't There was.
Speaker 4: A few for bars I have to explain it.
Speaker 1: Wow, few ones from Twitter voice of BARSK you liked him?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, mate? Going then what do you come for a control? Sorry for.
Speaker 4: Jay says proposal. You get six points instead of four.
Speaker 3: If you score a try off a scrum promotes attacking player back line movements.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh mate, this is the silliest thing. What's this guy's name, jay Z? That's ridiculous, j Z. You should stick hanging out with Beyonce. This is just insane.
Speaker 1: The good teams now how to score off?
Speaker 2: Yeah? There were I can't give different.
Speaker 3: You should get less if a scored off a kick or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, crazy talk. Jason.
Speaker 1: This is a this is a crack I saw. This is a crack at MC. I like it.
Speaker 4: It's been said by the DT that DT.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's by Michael Carrianas who.
Speaker 4: Was on seven hundred and fifty k next year, pendeth the pain all of it. Never said that.
Speaker 3: Can you explain how recently you said you couldn't understand the Tigers let him go. He was not on stupid money and then said Lewis thought on seven to seven fifty k was big money.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: So Lewis has not played a game of NRL. He's twenty two, hasn't played a game of the NRL. They signed him without the incoming coach and there's the risk factors right as.
Speaker 2: They signed him with out the incoming coaches. Imprimature.
Speaker 4: I think, so okay, you know we don't just wondering ISLI.
Speaker 3: The Tigers will pay about fifty thousand dollars of his contract next season on about seven hundred thousand dollars, and he's gone to the team that is the best team in the competition. So how the Tigers, when they're looking to get better, let a guy that's young has a massive upside. You've just signed a half that he can play alongside, and you let him go and you're going to chip in a little bit. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: Tiger takes, yeah, man, and you're going You're going to the best team of the comp who wants you there, and you have money burning a hole in your pocket that you can't spend.
Speaker 3: I would say seven hundred for is Papa is a good is a fair deal. It's overs compared to the world who is produced so far this year. But Penrith have signed him for basically that equivalent, and seven hundred for Lewis Dodd is big, big money.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, well said good Ben to you explain that, well, cop, that tiger takes.
Speaker 1: Get that up.
Speaker 3: How does Ricky Stewart still have a job given as a similar record to Brad Arthur got punted mid season? Surely another foul season next year you have to get punted. Why doesn't the meatia get stuck into him like other coaches. You've done some homework, kid, I.
Speaker 1: Did a little bit of homework. So you look at there, You look at the last five years since they played in that Greend final. They finished the following year fifth, tenth, eighth, eighth and then twelfth this year on the slide and the Eels had that great run of fifth, sixth, fourth, that fourth place in twenty twenty two which had a Grand Final and have then crapped the bed and have missed the last two finals. Records actually similar, Yeah, similar records, So.
Speaker 2: There's more tour with Ricky though, right he's a big part of the community down there. He's a club legend who's a legend of the club. He's very close to senior figures at the club. But I think it's as I said, it's about what he brings the off the field as for that community.
Speaker 3: And he does get a run, he does get a lot of scrutiny.
Speaker 2: It's camera, I guess, the hovering around.
Speaker 1: And this is the different but the different situations of the club between Paramatta and Cambra Camebra find a lot harder. Whether it's Ricky Stewart, I don't care if it's Jesus Christ down there. I'm trying to recruit players because it's very hard to get players down to Cambra. And Ricky has done this a couple of different tacks over the years, hasn't he. When when the Raiders were great in the nineties, eighties, nineties, it was Queenslanders and Kiwi's that dried up when the Warriors and the Broncos came in and then he went Englishmen, but you kind of had to wait till they were proven before you bring them out, unless you're the West South with Lewis Dodd. But now he's going with youth, youth, the under nineteen state of Origin guys that he's now rallying down there and that could be the backbone of this. So he's got a plan. Ricky, he's thinking, he's looking couple of years ahead. And I don't think you can compare a club like Paramount with what they've got with the Raiders and say that that's equal. I mean, I know they're playing for the same prize, but very different situations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I think with Ricky, if they get like they're they're they're trying to redrivenate that roster right. Their spine is not up to a great standard compared compared to others. They've done really well by signing. How many New South I was d nineteen plays with have next five in their top thirty next year.
Speaker 4: It's a very different and it's different.
Speaker 3: You know when you said mobs that they used to go to, you know they've tried England they've tried New Zealand and Queensland. Now they're trying a different strategy and getting the best still going on.
Speaker 2: They're just on the young Warrington back row as well Maddie Nicholson, so they haven't given up on.
Speaker 3: England, but the wol So it's a it's a it's almost like an NFL draft style sort of system that they've implemented. Right, So, but I can understand if I'm a Raiders fan, the frustrations where they've been and how stagnant they've been over the.
Speaker 1: Recon Yes, so you reckoners. A Raiders fan, see it's funny because some Raiders fans really love Ricky and others don't like him.
Speaker 3: There's it's I think there's like I like, we all like like Ricky.
Speaker 2: And the yeah yeah but great theater.
Speaker 3: I can understand what os Raider saying, Paigey, this is for you READI can you explain the fine system? Does the player pay it from their own pocket? There's a club deducted from payments and where does it go? The player pays it gets deducted from their pay.
Speaker 2: They doesn't get from their pay I can't remember where it goes. Actually, I think some of.
Speaker 3: It goes to welfare. If it's the judiciary, fine, so there thousand dollars or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 4: For a judiciary offense goes to education and welfare.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, but the player pays it. They're supposed to pay.
Speaker 4: Well, it gets deducted from their weight.
Speaker 1: Not if you're Ryan Madison.
Speaker 3: Point emails right. So answer my question is around the Broncos. Media has always mentioned them as one of the powerhouses of NRL and whilst this is true financially on the field, their record is not great. Since two thousand and six they've matched the Warriors with two losing Grand finals in that time. One title in almost twenty years. Doesn't read like a successful club to me. Do you agree they are an undeforming club considering their financial base and playoutpool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's our underperforming. That record should be a lot better than that. They should have won a couple of a couple of premierships at least in that period. And yeah, I agree with your wholeheartedly. They've been disappointing, Yes, terrible this year, really disappointing. This shoe after last year with that squad and the talent they've got at their disposed or they should be playing. Well, they're not out of finals, but it's a long shot from here, but they should be playing finals football every year. The Broncos yeap.
Speaker 1: Wayne went, Wayne came back, Ben Iken was signed, Ben Ike and left. This is the club that let Tom Diedon go. You know, they let Reece Walsh go before getting him back. This the recruitment of attention hasn't been great. You know, they lost four of their Grand finals seventeen then the last season and that was always going to impact them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Success probably come came a bit early for younger guys, but I think that, Yeah, I think they've underperformed across the board and it's not just on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, significantly.
Speaker 3: I agree. Boys. Now this you just mentioned Tom did and Mark wants to know they're more underrated player in the competition than Tom did in week in week out. He is the most consistent player.
Speaker 1: I hate watching Tom didn't play paramatter. He tears them a new one every time. He just he's so dangerous. I love him. He's such a good player, very good and very good footballer.
Speaker 3: Carried from the UK with Keen four and celebrated in his three hundredth game, Ready featured in his tribute video. Yeah, who are some of the players that have had the best career revivals after periods of thinking they were gone? John Johnson, Chas, Nicole Klukstad last year, Bryce cart Right, Angus Crichton.
Speaker 1: That's a good list.
Speaker 4: Work for us their care.
Speaker 3: And I think that's yeah, anybody else pretty pretty bang on in terms of eyes that are plane at the moment. I can't think of another Benji Marshall. Guys that are playing at the moment you can go, you can go.
Speaker 2: No just says who are the someone players you think about the best? Screw doesn't say our players. Benji marsh five shoulder recos went on to play. He's now in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Ben I would have thought Michael Jennings was a thousand and one to play in early season.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy, but falses is ridiculous. He was after he left paramatter he was gone on undred and fifty six games. Dunsky and physically mentally broken.
Speaker 2: It's still broken, but he's a tough back physically now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, unbelieve it's as.
Speaker 2: Tough as they come here and good fellow too good, Blake Joe, here is my gripe.
Speaker 3: Yes, by the letter of the law, the Knights obstruction of Kennedy is a penalty. And as I said that, yes, there was a answer that, well, Kennedy could have been off side, but the bunker cannot rule on off side players that the referee.
Speaker 1: Misses just putting in that wasn't a question.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a question. It was probably a little bit longer.
Speaker 1: No, that's but that's the line that out of that is that video referee wasn't in a position to rule on the off side due to the halfway line position of the broadcast cameras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, is that the answer is that part of the question that was mob research, that was what, Well, have an issue with this rule? I think it's ridiculous. Yeah, because we rule on off side from bombs and chips and all that sort of stuff, what can't we rule on it for this? If it's later, if it's touching game, you're not sure, Okay, you stay with the live decision like when you have everything else.
Speaker 3: But if it's blatantly off side and they send it upstairs, what are we doing? Are you going to tell me we're going to get to a grand final. Because sometimes the referee checks field goals. They doesn't have to be referral. Sometimes they check it and the bunker can see a guy a meter off side. They're going to let it go under side. Grand Fine, what.
Speaker 2: Can we use the Premier League use that technology where they put a line across and what can we get that? Can we not get that or.
Speaker 1: Should be able to?
Speaker 2: It's not that hard.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I also have an issue with them blockers. Oh my god, do we have to go the big issue with the blocker?
Speaker 2: We have to go?
Speaker 1: What a mentioning that last night with Thurston.
Speaker 3: I had a big issue with the book. They were not blockers on the weekend. Okay, that's not what the rule was brought in for. The rules brought in to stop two players standing next to the stay of the ball, not in a position to get the football, to halt the markers access.
Speaker 2: I understand that, right, I understand that, But why are they standing there? They were never getting the ball.
Speaker 3: Because you know rugby league, you know, and every time they used the ball and there were a decoy, they were.
Speaker 2: Never getting the ball. Just why can they just get out the way, just get out the way you're going to kick a field goal, Get out the way and let the block kick the field goal. So look, I understand they weren't They were in a position to get the ball, but they were never getting the ball.
Speaker 3: Are you going to premp what every dummy half is going to do?
Speaker 2: You know that we're never getting the ball. You know, you know, getting the ball of.
Speaker 3: Course to do. So what happens though, sometimes once or twice a year we'll see an off the cuff field goal off the cuff right there will be decoys in front of him.
Speaker 2: Are going to rule that, Well, they'll get ruled out then by the level of the law, because that's.
Speaker 4: That's that is, doesn't matter rule.
Speaker 2: Look, I understand your frustration with the rule, and I appreciate it. But my point is, if if you're worried about I'm considering a penalty, just get out the way.
Speaker 3: You know whether they're going to change, you know where the changes off season when the guy kicking a field goal gets his legs taken out because there's a clear passage from the defender and a guy severely injured, and they're like, oh, maybe we need to protect the kick a bit more. That's all happen.
Speaker 2: Away, just get out the way. But it's just getting out the way.
Speaker 4: We all know what a blocker is, right, we all know when they're setting up a war.
Speaker 3: We thought we did know. We all know when they're setting up a war. It's a common set decision, right. If they're in a position to receive the ball and they're not impeding anyone, or they can play it. If that was just a normal tacking plan they played out the back to kaalam ponger, we'll just say nothing.
Speaker 4: You don't even think twice about it, So we all know what blocks We've just complicated.
Speaker 3: We've just complicated it for no reason and we've added an element to the game that we didn't.
Speaker 2: But again, if those blokes just get out the way, then it's not complicated, it's simple.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens in the final tun Wow, you can just disappear. So now I'll just love that old cliche Chris.
Speaker 3: With norse in your bears obviously feeding the purse site. And if it goes ahead, newtown players going to Ipswich, how will that affect the pathways of clubs like the Sharks, Rouses and Storm have had agreements with these New South Wales Cup sides and therefore should we expand our State Cup competition as a result, Well, you definitely need to expand the State Cup competition because Newtown are at.
Speaker 4: The moment with the Sharks yep, and the Bears are with Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Those arrangements will obviously cease if they have an affiliation with the other and are also the storm We've got cup.
Speaker 2: CU Cup teams, yeah, I think maybe they were.
Speaker 3: You will mean the fact that, yeah, they either put their own New South Wales Cup teams or align themselves with other potential You know, we've seen men that we Blacktown and we've seen Mountains coming and have an alignment with clubs in the past and the like, but potentially may lead itself to one day the National Reserve RAIIR competition as well, which would mean every NURL club would need something.
Speaker 1: To look ben Ik and Mix making waves, not making.
Speaker 2: Enough drama going on there. Don't stir it up my interest level.
Speaker 1: I don't really care, mister power else and you're not to stir up try you don't care.
Speaker 2: Got to show a bit more passionate and care for the game will be on the vote.
Speaker 3: Do you care the National Reserve graide or their state run reserve competition doesn't.
Speaker 1: Bother me if plus Cup works well for Queensland.
Speaker 3: One thing I don't like is the gibbering Grand final day of the New South Wales Cup premier. Just let let I rather have the Queensland Cup and the New South Wales Cup Grand Final decided on that day.
Speaker 2: We're both on the curtains. Yes, so the Queens and Cup Cup finals paid, of course if they want.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 1: That's okay. I could be wanting.
Speaker 4: I was pretending to care about Queens.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Queens, the listeners, the sorry, I apologize.
Speaker 3: On behalf of that game. I've watched that.
Speaker 4: Who cares exactly?
Speaker 2: No, I mean, who cares all the way covering your beyond your above beyond that for that exactly turn back.
Speaker 1: But no, I was anyway.
Speaker 3: That's a different debate, ye.
Speaker 2: Mind the national feed the team championship, what's it called.
Speaker 1: It's probably on the drink, all drink all week. That's all right, and I don't really care.
Speaker 3: The week before I don't just have a grand phone.
Speaker 2: The Queens get a free trip to Sydney and.
Speaker 3: They can come and be created half time as the State Cup, the New Southwest couple of them a Taylor Sawn Johnson's final home game this weekend. Where does he rank for you guys in terms of the best Warriors the two part question best Warriors and then best Kiwi players of all time?
Speaker 2: I was just thinking and Stacey's an obvious one about Warriors and kiwyeh Stacy's private He was amazing, was a machine. But still he left and came back, and so did Sean. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Did tell you who we didn't see enough of? And I don't for whatever reason for.
Speaker 2: T Ordan rugby.
Speaker 1: Worries everyone. He was so good that that team Clinton Torpie and.
Speaker 2: Remember Clinton Tory was against the Dogs in the finals game once the score four or five tries unbelievable. So good was so good?
Speaker 3: Everyone like practice like the Benji leak and whatever I used to trying to hold the ball like.
Speaker 4: I just have a could do it with an international ball.
Speaker 3: But what about kes boys like like Benji for me is ahead of Williams, Roger, I Roger ahead of.
Speaker 2: Johnson.
Speaker 1: Stacey in his prime was just ball on a string type stuff, wasn't he really?
Speaker 3: He may what about your man falls.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: Back to the whiz Freeman, anyone else you got Mark Graham, Mark Graham.
Speaker 4: Ruby Wicky was outstand because of a legend, was really good for the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Anyways, on the list there somewhere where's Jabuga going? You know? Yet he's looking at around.
Speaker 1: Freedom segue ever, So I'm just thinking, I'm thinking Warriors players and shopped people.
Speaker 2: But we haven't got to buy it yet. Shopped him in some clubs, but we haven't got to buy it yet.
Speaker 1: Have you got a guy with a Q cup?
Speaker 2: People?
Speaker 4: A Q cup he's got to get has his way.
Speaker 3: Play jacks.
Speaker 4: And I don't think they're asking for crazy money like did.
Speaker 2: I'm not thinking he's happen to sign a one year deal and I'd be.
Speaker 3: Sign him for one year, low risk.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Jeff wants to know our State of Origin is a brilliant watch and fiercely competitive.
Speaker 4: Is it really the peak of our game anymore?
Speaker 3: With so many of the great players not playing in the series for Shaharis, Hughes, Phenol Blaken and the Key where he's beat Australia thirty to Neil last year, So Origin boys, is that still the pinnacle in terms, I think it is spectacle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think Origin is because it's everything that comes with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the biggest show. It is the biggest show. It's you saw what it was this year. How big it is? So a little hint on that we should be getting a calendar announcement shortly.
Speaker 2: On the mates.
Speaker 1: Let's look Friday Friday.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're interesting because we've been writing.
Speaker 3: They've been saying it's off.
Speaker 2: We're playing New Zealand, some New Zealand tomorrow right in New Zealand, Brisbane in Sydney. Correct, Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: We're only two months out from the games and all announce them now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the teams would like to know, clubs would like to know it's on.
Speaker 2: We all know it's on. It's exact good that the final is going to be in Sydney though. I think that's right, isn't it the final in Sydney. That's what give us something to keep work? Someone for three weeks after.
Speaker 1: Someone put in some long service leave. I just saw dropping my one baby.
Speaker 2: I'll be Jeff, I'm taking a big holiday.
Speaker 1: You've just had three weeks far A shot it all in Wow, Pete Vodell did. He had to Panguin Jr. Isn't an idiot, he said, put from Paris in my blind want.
Speaker 2: To tell us and Ricky, I'm just us again. People in Paris.
Speaker 3: You did a photo of meed, Butdel did a selfie with us last night, said the expansion heroes.
Speaker 1: Here we are. Yeah, I got that. I got that fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been since that as well. Jeez man, just relaxed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go. That's that's what did you call? Yes, aneral task force to select the twentieth team has been unbailed. I'm getting my Bodill the voice voice pretty good now. Happy with that.
Speaker 4: He's a learner.
Speaker 2: For dinner, I'm giving this much thought. Actually, can you go to him first.
Speaker 3: And come like heart tonight?
Speaker 1: So we've got some leftovers from mom and dad when they've come out and the kids, and you're not cooking. But I'm just being him.
Speaker 2: Dish make color form email me for recipes.
Speaker 3: I really think I've had three people right back with their finished product.
Speaker 2: You know, we might have that tonight.
Speaker 1: The rest of the made it.
Speaker 2: It was pretty good last time. We won't experiment with the cheese. I'm not convincing the cheese. It was a bit salty.
Speaker 4: Last time.
Speaker 2: It experiment and we might experiment with the past years as well. What's that past the call?
Speaker 3: You couldn't find it.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, we got it in the end. I got wall or somewhere what's it called. It was only when you sent me the number, because you know, it's all it's got a number now it's like realer number three. I couldn't find it, he said, number whatever. I found it said that that's very cleman. The one that.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: What do you was salmon tonight? So not in there, not here at all.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of lemon, you know, I told you go there for well, yeah, good are they?
Speaker 2: That's so good for chips.
Speaker 1: These two idiots back.
Speaker 2: That I wasn't bad chips And it's.
Speaker 3: See you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh he's out all right, thanks for stopping by, everybody, and waved mickerd By, who walks out the door.