Speaker 1: This is a guide your light network production creating podcasts.
Speaker 2: With purpose because a lot of this doesn't exist in tax books, are in guidelines because as you know, you know, we only spend one percent of research funding on female conditions that aren't cancer, six percent for cancer. But you know ninety three percent of medical funding is not going to women. There's still menopause and perimenopause still get minimal lip service and medical training art to medical school push graduate training still hardly anything. You know, So we're trained to treat man and women or an afterthought.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Things you Can't Unhear podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm your host, Maritza Barone. Get ready to hear moments that will help you to.
Speaker 4: See the world differently and.
Speaker 1: Inspire you to become the happiest, healthiest and kindest version of you. On this episode of Things You Can and here we delve deeply into the topics of verimenopause, menopause and hormonal health. I invited doctor Kerry Kashall, who is an Australian GP and menopause specialist, educator and passionate advocate for women's hormonal health to the show. She's got more than twenty years of clinical experience and has dedicated much of her career to helping women better understand the powerful role hormones play in physical and mental health throughout the female life cycle. This is a really powerful resource and conversation that we can refer back to when we advance in.
Speaker 3: These stages of life.
Speaker 1: I think what I took away from this, and something very important, is that this is not a time in life to be fearful. We can completely thrive throughout this stage of our lives, and we simply need to empower ourselves and make the right steps forward to choosing a healthier, happier existence. We have listener questions embedded in this episode as well, so we find out all about that ballely fat nutrition, sleep, exhaustion, and all of those questions that so many listeners have had, and also the pathway to prescribing HRT and what that actually means. Make sure you listen all the way through this. So much in this for all of us. Please let me know your thoughts and any further questions that you may have around this. There's so much support out there, so the more education and knowledge that we give ourselves, the more of a wonderful position that we're here in enjoy this conversation with doctor Kerry Cashell, Doctor Kerry Cashall, welcome to the Things you Can't and Here Podcasts.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for having me. It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 3: It is a pleasure.
Speaker 1: I think we're talking women's health, women's hormones, and it's a topic of conversation that I'm finding very important at the moment. Just the more conversations I seem to be having, the more questions I have, which is.
Speaker 3: Funny, right, it just opens up a whole worms.
Speaker 1: So I'm pleased you here because you are the expert, and you're breaking things down in such a way that it's very easy for us to understand, even if we don't have a medical background. So thank you for that. I thank you on behalf of all the women out there as well. I'm going to doctors and still don't have the answers to their questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's such a common experience. It's been my journey too. You know, as I'm sure you've heard people say, you know, we're not trained in female health. We most of what we learn in our medical degree is based around male physiology, the physiology of a white seventy kilo male, not even all men. And and you know, we get taught a bit about reproductive medicine, so how to get pregnant, how to not get pregnant, how to deliver a baby. That's a bit about breasts, but for everything else in the female body, it's just the small version of men, which of course it isn't. So I've very much been on my own learning journey about female health, and I think that's partly why I maybe am reasonable at trans that, because I've been on my own learning journey, and I can tell you it would have been much easier for the first twenty years of medicine if I'd had that knowledge at the start, you knew, rather than two thirds of or whatever it is, half the way through my professional career.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of us women are making a lot more noise about it now, So I think people are standing up and listening, and I'd love to hear a bit about your journey, if you're willing to share it, actually, because I think that really allows us to see, you know, put ourselves in your shoes and hear how it unraveled for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, no, it is the great thing. Well, I think perrymenopause itself is the great unraveling or rebuilding or rewiring. So yeah, so I trained in the UK, trained in Scotland as a doctor. I had originally wanted to be a fashion designer. That has had always been what I wanted to do, and then did a last minute pivot before I left school after being inspired by a doctor who was working in Northern Ireland with my godmother who's also a doctor, learning because we had a lot of gunshot wounds back in the eighties in Northern Ireland. So she inspired me and off I went to medicine and yeah, did all the usual stuff that doctors do in training, and then came to Australia in twenty twelve. We fancied a change of scene, so I came out with my husband and two boys and settled into a lovely life in the northern beaches of Sydney. And I think I was probably and then I was moving into my forties myself. I became interested in a lot more holistic medicine. You know, I have had more a lot more time with my patients working in Australian than I would have done in the UK. It's very time pressured there, so you're just kind of far fighting the whole time, where As working in practice here I was able to get to know people a bit better. I was able to move away from just that pill for every ill and looking, you know, having more time to talk about lifestyle intervention, more preventative medicine. But it was really twenty twenty one when a patient came in and asked me to prescribe testosterone for her, and I had no idea how to prescribe testosterone. I think I had a vague idea it was a female hormone, but had certainly not ever considered it as a.
Speaker 4: Two in my toolbox.
Speaker 2: And she said, you need to go on up skill and here's a course you should do, and so she sent me off to do this course. And that was of course by Louise Newsoen, who had at that point already over two hundred podcasts. And then it was listening to all those patient stories in her podcasts and different specialists. I could see so many of my own patients and my own patients experiences in that, and I realized I really needed to go back and start from the beginning understand what it was that made women different to men, those assigned female birth different to those assigned male at birth in terms of hormones, and then that's gradually grown. I've got a real interest in how other parts of female physiology are different, which would be certainly connective tissue. You know, we're a bit more bendy, and that seems to impact you know, our immune system or nervous system differently. So we are we're the same, but we're also different, and we need a different set of rules, we need a different manual. So I realized that as a doctor, I've been trying to drive ferraris, which I think that's the of the ferraris, using a kind of old Ford manual. No offense to men, but male medicine is a lot simpler. You know, they don't have these hormonal changes. You know, women, you know, are living in a constant state of flux, you know, from the time they go into puberty, and it really doesn't settle down until you're through menopause, which is really postmenopause, and at that point, your you know, your sex hormones have stopped, you know, this ruler coaster journey, but they've flat lined, which has its own host of problems. Whereas men have testosterone, it doesn't changes a little bit in each twenty four hours, but it's overall it's pretty steady, and then it just gradually declines a little bit in a healthy man over the decades. And obviously men can reproduce until they die, so they have a very different experience of life to women. Women very different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I Q you, and you know what, even though it's complicated being a woman, I still choose to be a woman.
Speaker 3: You never, Absolutely yes, it is a wonderful and wild ride.
Speaker 1: Do a couple of things that you said there that I loved, and one of them being, you know, the time that you give to patients when they come in. Very often we feel rushed and we feel like we can only bring up one thing while we're sitting in front of a doctor and we're in and out within ten minutes, and we're like, hang on a minute, I didn't say this, and I didn't say that. We get home and we think, what if I had mentioned this symptom.
Speaker 3: Or what if I hadn't mentioned that?
Speaker 1: Would that have changed what tests I got or what diagnosis I was given? And you know, I went to a woman's health specialist about six months ago, and there was such a beautiful process because I sat with a nurse before going in to see the doctor for about twenty five minutes, and she pretty much asked me every single question now I could possibly be asked.
Speaker 3: And then I went and.
Speaker 1: Saw the doctor and she reviewed all of that, and I thought that was absolutely amazing because I felt seen and I was able to actually get it all out. I was able to verbalize exactly how I was feeling without being a drag or without feeling like I was feeling sticks time exactly.
Speaker 3: So I think that's super important. I love that you do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think I mean time is, you know, is such a fabulous tool. Like we are trained, especially as GPS, to let our patients speak. But often people are coming in, you know, they're anxious, they're worried. They also, especially women, always seem to say, I'm really sorry to bother you. I hate wasting your time. You know us you're kind of coming in going I probably shouldn't even be here. I'm like, there's people always sicker than me. It's, you know, terrible things that women do to diminish their right to decent care themselves because of our system but that time giving somebody a chance to speak, but also then exploring, you know, being more proactive and you're questioning and you know, looking at all the systems so that you can see, like what's going on with your mental health and what's happening with your gut, and what's happening with your periods and you know, I've done a few reels on Instagram just recently about how our system, the way it's structured, both in the in the US, in the UK and in Australia, really pushes people to do this kind of ten minute medicine, which doesn't really allow somebody to come in and talk through all their systems. They're all their symptoms, so you're often you're dealing with one or two symptoms at a time, and it doesn't give you the opportunity to go right these twenty symptoms or you know, in the case of perimenopause, there's hundreds of symptoms because you've got estergen receptors in every single cell.
Speaker 4: Of the body.
Speaker 2: You know, you could be going back and forward for you know, twenty years before you realize it's all perimenopause, or it's all a connective dishy disorder or it's all in other immune disease. So that time is although you can spend you need to spend more time at the beginning in the long term, even like over the next even over you know the period of the next year, you will have saved so much time you will have saved you know, whichever you know system it is in Australia, the medicare system, it's actually it's much more cost effective to spend that extra time at the beginning. Look at all the symptoms, see how they're connected. And often treatments are very similar for you know, different symptoms in terms of lifestyle. Yes, there's some differences in the drugs, but it's a much more efficient way. And you, as you experienced as a patient, you felt heard and you felt validated, and you know, it's a much more positive experience for book doctor and for a patient, I would say definitely.
Speaker 1: And you know, as patients we forget it's a business as well with GPS, and you know time is equals equals that money is money ultimately, so you know, at the same time, we do want to feel like our time is value.
Speaker 3: So I love how you've broken that down.
Speaker 1: I also what you said earlier, I loved in that that you're helping to educate other doctors. I think that's a huge thing because that isn't a standard education platform that people are getting, as you're saying, through medical school and learning about this at a deeper level. And you know, I've been watching your Instagram over the last couple of weeks and you know, just learning so much from that as well. And I think you know resources like that, and you're putting these scenarios out there that you know you've spoken to your patients about and us hearing sort of how you've worked or it's almost like detective work, trying to get to the bottom of exactly what that woman is going through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much so. And I mean it is also like we know in terms of how humans learn, we do learn by storytelling, so me telling and a scenario, and they are they're never exact scenarios because obviously the patient confidentiality always think I better said, this is not any one person. That's usually you know, e merge of different different themes. But we do learn by storytelling, and it is something we do in our medical training. But you know, it's much better for me to tell the story of the lady coming in, who's anxious, wonders if she's got ADHD, he's got heavy periods, and all the things that me saying perimenopause might make women anxious. It may also you know, it's it's much more real, and our brains like that. But you're right, you know a big part of why we set up Healthy Hormones was that we as a you know, as a group, realized we hadn't been trained, you know, we'd gone off and done our own training. We wanted to make that better for other clinicians, because most doctors want to do the best by their patient. But it's you know, we're also navigating a world of so much stuff that we need to learn and stay on top of, and we wanted to make it easy and accessible, which is why, you know, our clinical education on our Healthy Hormones it's an app that sits in your pocket. You know, as a clinician, you can type top and they've got marits in here, and she's having this problem. You know what shed to do now? Because a lot of this doesn't exist in textbooks or in guidelines because as you know, you know, we only spend one percent of research funding on female conditions.
Speaker 4: That aren't cancer.
Speaker 2: Six percent for cancer, but you know, ninety three percent of medical funding is not going to women. There's still menopause and perimenopause still get minimal service in medical training at medical school, postgraduate training still hardly anything, you know. So we're trained to treat men and women ear an afterthought and that really needs to change. But while it's changing, if it is even changing, that's where we're really wanting to improve it because it's a somewhat mikes life better for doctor's clinicians he treat and women themselves, you know, So that's a when for everybody.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly right now.
Speaker 1: Last week I dropped an episode with a brilliant breast surgeon. Her name is doctor Yasmini Kevridge, and she operates in top Melbourne hospitals and we had a conversation there that has really stayed with me because I gave her a scenario as well. I'll explain the whole situation to you and I'd love to get your take on this. Actually, if anyone who hasn't listened, go back and listen to that episode after this one, because it's it's super important. Now the rates of breast cancer are one in seven women in Australia right now. And I gave her a situation where, because a lot of women are taking hormone replacement therapy at the moment, if a woman had presented with well, hadn't presented yet, but it was she had breast cancer but didn't know she had breast cancer and she started taking hormone replacement therapy, would that be detrimental to that situation or to that diagnosis or would that make.
Speaker 3: That cancer worse?
Speaker 1: And she insisted that it is super important for women to have a breast examination or a mammogram prior to having hormone replacement therapy, and because she's a breath surgeon, she always does that when she prescribes HRT.
Speaker 3: And then I did a poll.
Speaker 1: I did a poll on Instagram that bewildered me actually because I put it out to everyone who was following me, and I said, page's curious for those who are taking HRT at the moment, were you offered a breast examination or a mammogram before being prescribed HRT? And eighty nine percent of people said that they weren't. So I just want to get your perspective on this to see if you think it's necessary to see if that's something you do and just you know, open that conversation up again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that is such a good question, and yes, it is probably slightly surprising. What you find in your pool. Where I come from is that breast cancer and hormonal treatment of perimenopause and menopause are two separate things which obviously overlap because the woman there's an increased risk of breast cancer as women get older. So the majority of breast cancers are in women over fifty, and the majority of women who are taking hormone therapy are over fifty as well, So there's this overlap in terms of what we know from the data. Does I suppose one of the questions is does hormone therapy increase the risk of getting breast cancer? Does it promote the growth of breast cancer? So what we know from the largest control trials that we have, which would be the WHI the Woman's Health Initiative, which used a different type of use different types of hormones than we use today. So it used conjugated equine estrogen which is the horses estrogen, and synthetic progesterge majoxy progesto and acetate and then a group of women only use the estrogen, the equine eestrogen in the woman who took the combined hormone therapy, they saw those women, if they got breast cancer on hormone therapy, they did better, so they had better outcomes with their breast cancer and they had a reduced risk of death. But there was perhaps a small but there's it's still not strong that this was even statistically significant. There was perhaps a small increased risk of getting breast cancer in the woman taking combined hormone therapy, but that is in.
Speaker 4: These older, older drugs.
Speaker 2: So then they looked at women who only took estrogen because they'd had a hysterectomy. So standard practice at that time and still today is that you don't need progestogen if you don't have a uterus. The women who were taking estrogen had a reduced risk of getting breast cancer full stop. So women who only took estrogen reduced the risk of getting breast cancer by a quarter, and if they did get breast cancer, like the women on the combined hormone therapy, they also have better outcomes. So it looks like even in using these more synthetic forms combinate the progestogen perhaps, but even that wasn't actually hitting statistical significance. There is perhaps a small increased risk of an extra one case per thousand women getting breast cancer with estrogen. Your risk is actually reduced when it was estrogen on its own, and women in both groups, if they did get breast cancer, did better. So back in the nineties, about forty percent of women in the US, in the UK we're on hormone therapy. The risk of getting breast cancer was about one in twelve. Today it's in Australia it's about fifteen percent, so about one in six women are on HRT. But the risk of breast cancer has dramatically increased, So hormone therapy use has decreased, breast cancer risk has increased. So there is no study that shows that hormone therapy consistently increases the risk of breast cancer. What we have show is the estrogen on its own reduces breast cancer and that women who get breast cancer on h r T tend to do better. Then you look at then you look at breast cancer increasing, and it's critical that women in their forties, fifties, sixties, you know, get their breast screen So it's separate, but it doesn't mean if you're somebody you don't want a mammogrammar you don't want breastcraining. I wouldn't deny you hormone therapy on that basis, but I think it's a good idea to get breast screening as a woman who's getting older, because you know, there's your breast is subject to a lot of insults through life. It's tissue that is really affected by changing hormones, stress and life.
Speaker 4: The real risk factors for breast.
Speaker 2: Cancer are being female, sounds obvious, getting older, carrying excess weight, drinking alcohol, smoking, and then there's the things you can't do anything about, which is well being containing a boy, being a woman, or getting older. But your family history and if you have an inherited answer gene like the Blacker gene or Lynch syndrome, so really important that we look at family history, that we offer those women earlier brass screening, more enhanced bress screening, more regular brass screening, and certainly encouraging women to get genetic testing. But sort of seeing them is two things that are separate that do have an overlap, but we have to be really careful that we don't scare women, but equally that we encourage good screening. That kind of roundabout way of a complicated answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the last thing I want to do too, is scare women. It's just about sort of empowering ourselves sometimes with the information that what we need, that we've made the right decision for us.
Speaker 3: I think, can you talk me through what you the.
Speaker 1: Practice you use when you prescribe HRT, because it is so interesting to me to sort of hear a lot of different experiences that my friends have had or people that I know have had when they've been off at HRT, and also the reactions that they're having to it as well. So I'd love to Yeah, so what would the recommended procedure be for you if someone comes in and asks for on my replacement therapy?
Speaker 2: So we're always taking a history, so we're always looking at your different symptoms, and you know, because there are hormone receptors in every single system and sell in the body, we're always trying to work out is this a hormonal shift or is this something else is happening alongside And sometimes, and you know, not infrequently, it is both. So I like to see where woman's at, what are the symptoms that are really bothering her, and then doing that full screen and looking through you know, I use a symptoms screener which doesn't have all symptoms on it, but it probably has some of the most important ones, and looking to see where she's struggling in those domains. I do do blood tests quite quite frequently. You can't diagnose perimenopause or from a blood test. It's a clinical diagnosis because your hormones are changing, you know, day to day, week to week. I'm more doing blood tests to rul out other things like thyroid disorder order, immune disease, obviously increases in perimenopause, iron deficiency from the heavy periods, you know, things like that. And then again that wouldn't stop me from starting hormones in that first appointment if somebody was very keen to start. So depending on somebody's age, also if they have heavy periods and their need for a contraception. And I would always say if you have finished having children and you're in a long term relationship of the sectomy is definitely the safest form of contraception for women.
Speaker 4: So it's hugely underused.
Speaker 2: You've carried that burden for twenty twenty five thirty years, so somebody can take that on if that's the relationship you're in. But so if somebody does still need contraception, or if somebody has really heavy periods, then something like the hormonal IUD can be a good tool to use, which can also be used as part of your hormone therapy. Some of the progestin only pills are quite good again for heavy periods for women who get really severe cyclical symptoms, you know, where they get what we call pre menstrual dysphoric disorder, which you can have from as soon as you start periods, or it might only develop after having children, or it might only develop in perimenopause. Some of those women do do better to have their cycle flatted us, you know, using a contraceptive pill, but not all so it's sort of just working around things like heavy periods, contraception, and then a lot of women just want to go onto natural hormones because that is what we know is the safest and in general the most effective for mood symptoms, for sleep, for fatigue, and I'm usually starting if somebody has had kind of a pretty ordinary, unexciting life up until this point, and everything's just going about south.
Speaker 4: You know, if they aren't, if they haven't.
Speaker 2: Also got query IDHD or hypermobility or a long history of allergies and sensitivities, I would usually start them on body identical estrogen, which is estradiol as a patch or a gel, and some body identical micronized progesterone, which comes as a capsule. If you're somebody that has a history of everything, of being sensitive to everything, you know, perfumes, foods, I think I've got ADHD. I react to everything. Then I'll start one hormone at a time. And if, for instance, your main issue was that your mood was dipping before your period, I might start just on some cyclical progesterone. If your main issue is in so many again, I might go with progesterone first on its own. If you're using estrogen and a woman who has a uterus, you have to have some form of progestogen, whether that's natural progesterone, a contraceptive pill, or a hormonal ID So you're kind of going down these different different pathways depending on the individual woman's needs. And then if a woman has significant genital or urinary symptoms, so vaginal dryness, discomfort, pain, discomfort during sex, urgency of urination, get up at night, lots of UTIs really love a bit of vaginal hormones. You know, billions of dollars spent up here and crickets for down there. So yeah, using some vaginal hormones, which not all women will need as their systemic hormones settle down, but you know about a third of women do need. And then testosterone. So testosterone is licensed for postman apozzle, libido, it is made in Australia, it is approved.
Speaker 4: But there are a.
Speaker 2: Lot of perimenopausal women who also find that they benefit from testosterone. And then there's lots of women where testosterone doesn't make any difference at all and it comes as a cream. But I tend to stagger, you know, the estrogen in bergestone, usually going in there first and then reviewing where somebody's symptoms are at after a couple of months, and then maybe adding in some testosterone if they've got symptoms that suggest they might benefit, like lu libido or fatigue or brain fog. And of course, yeah, so it's not a magic bullet. You know about a third of women think it's brilliant. A third of women say it makes a lot of bit a difference. The third of women say it does nothing at all in terms of testosterone, but the majority of women do respond okay to body identical hormones. It is important to start low and you know, build up the door slowly, especially in women who are hypermobile, neurodivergent, who I've got issues because you know, these are bodies that are hyper responsive to change, including putting in hormones.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, wow, So there's just so much for us to learn.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's why these conversations are so important for me and us to have and to be able to have as a resource here when we need it to be able, like, oh, we.
Speaker 3: Have an hour with doctor Caring, how we can hear exactly her opinion on this stuff.
Speaker 1: I've got some listener questions that I'd really love to run through with you if we've got some time, because I think, you know, just hearing from women in this age of life, there's just so many different things going on, and I'm just going to throw some.
Speaker 3: Out for you if that's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So listener question one was during menopause, my sleep suddenly changed. I wake up at about three or four am most nights for no reason and can't get back to sleep.
Speaker 2: Is this common, extremely common, and often one of the earliest symptoms in perimenopause, And it's because estradiole estrogen and progesterone are really potent neural transmitters. You actually you also make your malatunin from gesterone, so those would be direct reasons. So there's the direct effect of changing hormones in your brain will really affect your sleep architecture. You've got that anxiety from decreasing hormones, which also then can drive insomnia. You've got a change in your gut microbiome as a result of changing hormones, which will impact on your production of serotonin, dopamine and melatonin and gaba and gaba is our lovely calming hormone. So progester roone particularly checks out often early in perimenopausit before estrogen even does. Progesteroms like Nature's valum so really common. But you've also got then this kind of cordisol spikes. There's multiple things that can be happening in terms of how our brain is getting cleaned overnight. You know, there can be problems, you know, in terms of your circulation that it can impact that brain blood flow. Your brain isn't able to wash itself as effectively, so get a bit of a toxic build up. Our breathing often changes because we lose a bit of airway tone. So about sixty percent of women who our postmenopause will have sleep apnea, and most of them are undiagnosed because they don't tend to snore lightly, especially if they're in a you know, heterosexual relationship. You know, their partner usually snortliders. So there's different things. So looking at gut direct effects on the brain, effects on the gut, and effects even on your airway tone, as well as the fact that you're often dealing with the you know, a busy job, older parents and maybe teenage kids.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Okay, so listen now, it is normal and it's common.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's yes, it's common, and it's not. Okay, we hear we hear you, all right. And the second question is around food. Are there certain foods that can make menopause symptoms worse?
Speaker 3: And on the other side of that.
Speaker 2: Nutrition health, Yeah, yeah, so it's really boring, it's but It's the same stuff that's good for everything, whether you're trying to you know, optimize your muscle mask you know, your bone masks, your brain health, your cardiac health, or your menopause symptoms. It's you know, eating enough proutein you know, choose a massive number multiplied by ten and you take away three. It's a lot eating plenty of pruting. So thinking of that is really building. You give yourself the building blocks to build cells. And then plenty of fiber not only maintains your gut health, but I always think of the fiber as kind of taking out the trash, so.
Speaker 4: All of those waste products.
Speaker 2: So really focusing on real food, you know, don't think about the diet. Think about real food, think about plenty of protein, plenty of fiber, healthy fats. You know, moving towards that kind of Mediterranean diet has probably got the most evidence for good health and does tend to improve menopause symptoms. Things that aren't your friend again, same stuff as you know, everything else. High sugar, alcohol, you know, create these erratic piaks and troughs with glucose, which your body doesn't like. It's already trying to deal with changing sex normal levels. It doesn't need sort of crashing levels of insulin and grellin going on as well. So trying to keep that lovely steady state of glucose as your fuel and your body from protein and fiber is much better. And alcohol and sugar, although your cravings often get worse than perimenopause due to falling progesterone and it can be easy to just reach, it will disservice you unfortunately. So but yeah, women who are more mass sell activated who can become histamine sensitive. So there's a whole lot of food different food groups that people can be sensitive to. But it's very different from person to person, and it's working out you know what is right for you, and it's very individual. So one person can do really well on a low histamine diet, somebody else needs something totally different.
Speaker 4: It's very personalized.
Speaker 1: And the sensitivities I think change so much at this age two in terms of you know, people could have two glasses of wine three years ago and now they have two glasses of wine and they just dead hard.
Speaker 2: And I think that I think that's there's different things. So it's the got microbiome changes and also our livers efficiency unfortunately does change it and really needs a lot more support than TLC. You know, the things you did in your twenties, your liver is just not going to thank you for at forty five, and certainly not of fifty five.
Speaker 3: This question is one that's also very common.
Speaker 1: Well, the love of God, how do I get rid of these menopause belly? Why do women's bellies just blow up at these sights?
Speaker 2: So multiple different things, and it doesn't happen to everybody. I think we need to study the women who managed to sort of sail through this. We need to find these unicorns and pin them down and you know, clone them. So we know that as estrogen falls, and probably also progesterone as well, you become more insulin resistant, so you do tend to start to store fat. Unfortunately, around the middle, there's another theory that maybe you're trying to create more estrogen from your fat cells. Your fat cells can produce estrogen called estrone, so there's maybe the brain trying to find ways to create estrogen. When you're ovarian, estrogen is declining and then obviously flat lining, so a big part there will be that change in insulin sensitivity, which drives increased visceral fat, subcutaneous fat, and also loss of muscle mass. So when you're losing muscle, you're losing that mitochondrial a little mitochondria and your muscle or in all your cells. But there's more higher density and muscles you're losing those. You're just not as metabolically efficient. So that's another thing. Then there's other there is other indirect things like that change in the got microbiome I think does drive weight gain. The change in quality of sleep drives weight gain, the anxiety, the cravings, you know, so there's direct and indirect effects of changing hormones on why you gain weight. And the things that you do to try and maintain optimal muscle mass rather than talking about weight, you know, are the usual things that you know, start weight training as early as possible. It's you know, with so many you know, girls falling out of sparksport in their teams, it's so important that you try and maintain that muscle mass. It's much easier to maintain it than to you know, start from scratch. But whatever age you are, you can build muscle, you know. And again that kind of nutrition and you know, and for some woman, you know, it's absolutely reasonable to look at, you know, weight loss medication. I do prescribe GLP ones. I do think they're very useful adjunct. There is evidence to show they work better alongside body identical hormones for menopausal women. But you know, we are lucky that we do. You have these medicaations, but they are not a replacement for a really good real food diet and weight training and regular exercise, going for a walk after dinner, trying to move as much as you can during the day, and checking that you're getting enough sleep, because enough sleep is a good way to lose with it.
Speaker 1: It really is the basics as and I feel like we've been told over and over again. Maintain sleep, good food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good people, good good food, good people. Plenty of movement.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now these questions are around hid tea again, because that's the buzz at the moment. One listener said that she's started on HRT patches, but now they're causing a real serious itch on her skin to the point where she can't wear them anymore.
Speaker 3: Is this common?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the patches that we have, if you're lucky enough to get them in Australia, are using patch tech that is over twenty years old, so this is dinosaur medicine, so there's really not been any investment into making better patches. So that is a common problem. And because so twofold one, it's just they're just not a great They're often not a great product. We have a shortage of the really nice, little small ones. We're often using these much larger ones that have a much greater area of adhesive. But women in perimenopause do tend to get this up regulation in their immune system, so there's your skin becomes itchy and drier, so when you've got adhesive sitting on it, then you are more likely to react. So it is a common problem. You can do simple things to try and help, like some people use an asthma steroid spray to spray on their skin first, works a bit like you know, like a cordysome cream. But the problem is really that the patches aren't good enough. So there is two Australian women who are building a company to design women focused patches, small, not irritating stay that stay on that you can change once a week as opposed to every three and a half days, which I don't know who thought that was a great idea for perimenopozzle and menopausal So, yeah, we need new patches. Common problem. Yeah, asthma spray on your skin can sometimes help.
Speaker 3: There's a market to crack if anyone's pain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let Lare Health look them up. Yes, they're looking for more funding.
Speaker 3: Amazing. So another listener, I've just started chad TA.
Speaker 1: My body feels like it's freaking out, hat racing, brain fog, I feel a little bit drunk.
Speaker 3: Is this normal when starting hate chad T?
Speaker 2: No, it's not normal, but it does happen, and that's why I would If somebody is getting side effects, I would start again and introduce one hormone at a time classic classically but not always progest Aroune can make people feel quite drugged, you know. So it can you can give you a real hangover effect in some women. And sometimes we change how we use it, like you can swap to using it as a vain vaginal pestory. So if that's happening, I would stop and restart and just do one hormone at a time and then introduce hormone two after a couple of weeks, so you can see what's causing a problem. And often you need to go and start much at a much lower dose and just go more slowly. And for some woman at the side effects, you can't. It's really difficult.
Speaker 4: For us small number.
Speaker 2: I've only got two patients who don't tolerate HRT, so for most women you can find a solution.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about natural another listener question natural options such as wild yam cream and those products out there, do they work to reduce the symptoms of perimenopause and menopause?
Speaker 2: I think I think in some people they can certainly help some of the milder symptoms, but you know, when you're really trying to get into the brain for significant anxiety, insomnia, mood changes, loss of joy, I think you really probably do need to do a pharmacological level product. I think there's also this misperception that if something is natural that it's totally safe, and that's not necessarily true. If anything that has an effect can have a side effect or a risk, and that's just how biochemistry works. So the good thing about regulated medical products is they have got reasonable amount of evidence behind them. But I appreciate not everybody wants to take you know, a pharmaceutical and certainly these natural products you know, just being careful that is something that has been tried and tested. Most things don't have a huge amount of evidence for being effective. And we know that the placebo effect is very strong. So most medications and supplements have about a forty percent placebo effect. So being cautious about how much money you spend. I still think if you're wanting to do natural, probably the best thing is you're nutrition, your exercise, your sleep, your boundary setting, your breathing.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that whole mindset side of it if we can for a moment, I think, what advice would you give to women who are starting to feel effects of perimenopause or menopause. They feel like their body's changing, their minds changing, they're changing who they are. They don't feel like themselves anymore. Can you just give us some beautiful mindset advice around? You know what would Land really love in a nice way with these women?
Speaker 2: So I would say, I'm fifty one, I'm living my best life ever. I've got almost full time GP, i have a second business, I've got three children, I'm still happily married.
Speaker 4: He might disagree.
Speaker 2: I would say, if you, if you educate yourself, you become empowered with knowledge and rather than leaving yourself to be blindsided, you know, by the twenty foot truck that premenopause can be educate yourself because if you go into this phase of your life with knowledge, then you can really make decisions that are right for you, and they're going to everybody's decisions about what they want to do is going to be very different, but that knowledge can be very grinding and validating to understand why you're experiencing things, and it's a wonderful period of rewiring. It's a time where you can start to put yourself first and stop caring so much about what other people think. We become this wiser, elder group of women who should be leading the world because the people currently in charge are making a mess of it. If there is more of us at the top, I don't think we'd be in the situation we're in. So really leaning into what your body's telling you, you know, getting well educated, looking for good sources of information. We think healthy hormones is brilliant, but everybody has their own, you know, health journey and health beliefs, and you have to find what's right for you, you know, staying connected to the good people in your life. You know, community and connection is so important for everybody, but I think women really do thrive on it, but equally don't overdo it. So educate yourself, stay connected, you know, and just recognize that this is a wonderful phase where you're moving into your There's loads of people have loads of different names for it, but you know, this is where you can really become strong and find yourself. And you know, I think you can really do quite magnificent things as you move through perimenopause and menopause. So yeah, own it, livette you know, you don't need to worry about what people think anymore. That's the best thing.
Speaker 1: Oh isn't that just the blessing that I sing on the cake? Absolutely knowing yourself at a deeper level. I love that you put it a light on this and and gives people hope and not not cloudy in fear.
Speaker 3: That we need to be feeful of these years ahead.
Speaker 1: And you know, life is over and we can't thrive or look good, or be strong or have great relationships. And I think the knowledge is great and important for us as women, but also if we can share the knowledge to our partners as well.
Speaker 3: So they can be prepared and empowered.
Speaker 2: With exactly Yeah, so they don't get hit by a truck that DA's a perimenopozzle woman.
Speaker 3: What has happened to my wife?
Speaker 1: Exactly right now, you do have the resource of your business that you help people with, and we'll share that in the show notes, so if anyone needs support even further.
Speaker 3: And your Instagram page, of course, is a wealth of knowledge.
Speaker 1: And there's actually a million other questions that I want to ask you in regards to what you share on that, but we will connect another time because I know time is limited today, but I would love to end today with you sharing a bit of a things you can on here moment that really helped you see life a little bit differently.
Speaker 2: I think in terms of medical knowledge, I really hadn't appreciated I'd never been treated and to treat women, and that was a light bulb moment for me and that has transformed how I practice medicine. And you know, I think it's a lot simpler than we've all been taught. You know, it's the basics that are critical, and you know the power of community and connection and you know, staying surrounding yourself with good people. I think is powerful and that's something I've been very lucky to have throughout my life. Yeah, and I think the value of connection is really underestimated. So that would be my thing to take away that don't ever underestimate the power of the people around you.
Speaker 1: And if you could share something with other doctors out there listening, what would.
Speaker 2: You say, Stay curious. There is so much that we don't know, and when you lose that curiosity, you're really wasting all of that training and experience that you've had to date. And there's so much that we need to learn, especially for our female patients, and just trying to maintain a bit of that compassion, you know, putting yourself in somebody's shoes and remembering how hard it is to be on the other side of that desk, you know, when people you know are struggling, you know, just remember that it's hard to be on the other seat, and being brave to you know, to advocate for your patients. That's something I've certainly really enjoyed doing, is becoming a patient advocate and trying to fight for a better system. And it does, it does. We do need clinicians in this space, advocate advocating for patients to really drive change. It shouldn't be up to the woman to do it for themselves. It should the healthcare system should also be advocating for better care for a woman.
Speaker 1: Here, Doctor Kerry Cashil, thank you so much for joining me on things you can in here. Make sure you go over to Kerrie's Instagram page. There's a whole thing going on about gel nails that I really wanted to talk to you about, but we'll do that another time.
Speaker 4: We'll have a Jawnelle episode exactly.
Speaker 1: And hypermobility, which is another important topic. But thank you for sharing everything that you have today around this important topic and we look forward to seeing what's Thanks for you.
Speaker 2: Thanks too much, met zeb thanks.
Speaker 3: For listening to the show. What did you think and what did you feel?
Speaker 1: Let us know by leaving me a message on the things you can't on here Instagram community.
Speaker 3: Page and if you can give us some ratings
Speaker 1: Love on your favorite listening platform