Speaker 1: All right, welcome back, everybody to another edition of Code NRL on a Monday, where we're breaking down the big stories from the weekend. We're going to look at why the West Tigers were so bad? Were the Dragons ripped off? And then really exploring was this blunder round two point zero again? And what can the NRL do to fix the bunker? And for many of my haters, they'll be really excited because fozball is starting to look like fraud ball, though I deny it. I'm joined by Dean Bulldog, Richie Bulldog. How I I'm good, Champion, You're very good. I'm very good, and Fatima Cando, how are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good and I'm Alex. By the way, also known as NRL Soapbox. So a lot's going on this weekend. Let's look at the West Tigers and why they were so putrid? Fatima, why were the West Tigers so bad?
Speaker 3: I think we just saw sort of a culmination of what's been going on there the last couple of weeks. Post game, a couple of player spoke so they weren't distracted by the Luais saga. During the week, they prepared really well but they came out very flat out of Theo's not a lot of energy given the Bulldogs were red hot from the start, and I think that had them on the back foot. But yeah, the body language wasn't great from them, was it?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: I think the bulldogs what's missing in the stories. The Bulldogs were fantastic, but the Tigers were absolutely putride.
Speaker 4: What did you make of it?
Speaker 2: Bulldogs? Yeah, they're poor, they're out of form, they're down on confidence. This is not the first time they've been bad. They've won two from eleven. They are a rabble at the moment. There's no way of sugarcoating what's going on at Concord other than saying it's a rabbel. We've got players who are there who are reading headlines about their leader. Their leader wants to go to P and G and then the club says we're back him, and they say we don't want you anymore. We're going round and around here. And the side that started with five from seven and all these people were saying this is a year and I said at the time, I said, wait, keep your powder dry. They are not a final side. They do not have a finals roster. It's crystal clear, and people didn't want to believe that. That's fine. Since then, they've fallen off a cliff. They're gone again. The fifteen year drought continues, and the club is let's be honest, let's cut to the chase here, the club is becoming embarrassed. Like you, well, it's embarrassing. The results are embarrassing. If you don't make the semifinals for fifteen years, that is embarrassing.
Speaker 4: It's definitely embarrassing. I'll concede you on that.
Speaker 1: But what about West Tigers Fans will say, we've been hammered by injuries and that's why.
Speaker 2: Everyone's got injuries.
Speaker 4: But they've been absolutely slaughtered.
Speaker 2: By everyone's got injuries. And you know what, the good clubs build rosters that can overcome injuries. I'm not saying it doesn't play a key role, of course it does. But the good clubs get by and they've got the depth and the positional versatility to cover for injuries, and the Tigers don't have that.
Speaker 3: Just on that point, I know we're going to talk about the Broncos later, but you know, the Broncos were, by that assessment, aren't a good club because they were decimated by injuries and they didn't have the roster and the depth to sort of keep them in the final spight even though technically the still live. But just back on the Tigers, it's got to take its toll. You know, only twelve months ago, what fifteen months ago now, a similar situation happened with Lachlan Galvin, you know, and that sort of derailed this season when Lewis agreed to go to p ANDNG. It was I can't remember, with around seven, around nine, but it was a shark's game where they also lost Adam Dewey and Samuel Feinnu for a long time. They were without Appy Corus Sale there for a long time as well due to suspension. So I really think because they do like a bit of depth, that injuries have hurt them. But the way they sort of feel that that spark about them, yes they're a confidence team is just completely gone. How much of that has to do with Jerome Louai. I guess we'll find out this week because this week they potentially without Adam Dewey and Latu.
Speaker 2: That's where I want to know, is it Jerome Lewai? And if it is Jerome Lewai, who's following him, because do you want to follow a bloke who wants to leave your club?
Speaker 1: Well, it's easy, like okay, So Jerome Lewi demands attention and he that's just who he is. He's an outspoken personality. I think when you look I looked at the weekend, he looked like a frustrated leader. He's meant to be the chief enthusiast officer of the chief energy officer, and you could see him chastising the players. So I don't think it's so much about the players are off him. I think Leui's off the situation. Like he was so frustrated in that game. There were some people, even Bulldogs, that were saying maybe the West Tigers should drop Lewis it's not working. Well, I did a piece this morning in Bulldog's Bite and I said, I don't know if for Tim you did something on the Tigers as well, So we'll come back to you in a moment. What I said is the last four games they've scored twenty two points. So if Jerome's key role is to ignite that attack, it ain't working.
Speaker 2: Yep. That's an average of just over five points a game. So apart from the off field distractions someone in that club, and I eat, let's basically say it's Jerome because he's their key Manah, he's their million dollar player. He's not doing his job because that side is stagnant and pedestrian.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that is a good point because of all the injuries that have necessarily had a lot of opportunity with their first choice swine. They had that against Cannipy and they weren't able to fire a shot. What does Benji do with Jerome Lewai? Does he start looking to the future now? I mean when Jerome addressed the media, he said himself like he's had that discussion with Benji and if it gets to the point where Benji feels like he's no longer the guy for the job, like he's happy for Benji to go with those young guys, it's not going to be this week because, like I said, Dewey and latsu Fa it looks like they're going to be suspended. This is the week though, for Jerome to answer that question like is he the guy that people want to follow? This is going to be the week where he sort of you know, he's got no option but to find a way to gather a nice this group, and you know, I do agree looking at Lui and how frustrated he is that he's probably just off the situation as a whole.
Speaker 2: Alex Twiles little Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: That was awesome, Jush.
Speaker 3: Current and Jamn seven towards the end. I mean, he's a passionate guy, Tini, but.
Speaker 4: You don't you don't see that ever level.
Speaker 3: Of frustration, and Benjie said that it probably epitomizes exactly what the club is going through. There's this element of frustration and if they can't shake it, things are about to get worse for them.
Speaker 2: Well, the Tigers, they wanted to push ahead without Jerome. Correct, yeah, next you can go. Yeah, so tomorrow is now today for the Tigers. If that's their theory, then let's start now, let's start now, bring some young I think it's crazy to Jerome Louis what you're saying about the injuries because they can't do it this weekend. But I'm thinking, is that the way forward?
Speaker 1: I think it's crazy. I think he should get more scrutiny. But there's another twelve players on the pitch that weren't putting in the effort. They were terrible in that first half. So Jerome definitely has to sholder some responsibility. But those players like that's the issue with the Tigers right now, not just Jerome Lewi. It's the team's not putting in the effort. They're letting their coach down. All right, let's move on from the abysmal West Tigers and talk about how impressive the Bulldogs were. I have been saying, and thousands of Bulldogs have been saying, this is the spine that they should have Seano Sullivan game managing it, kicking two forty twenties I think was all over the place, freed up Galvin to actually just play creative, attacking footy. This is the spine that Sialdo should have gone with at the start of the season, because sometimes the boring choice is the right choice for team.
Speaker 4: What did you make of the Bulldog spine?
Speaker 3: I don't think it was a boring choice. Look at how they played their attack. It was probably the most exciting they've looked all seasons. So yeah, I made a point of it last week that when short O'Sullivan came on for Stephen Crichton, he set up straightened their attacks and set up two tries right at the death there. And what I found like worked really well for them was he and Galvin just seemed to understand what the other was doing. They would switch in and out of first receiver. I mean to me that his second footy twenty was far more impressive than the first one because he noticed that his team was on the back foot, needed to get them out of trouble the way he straightens the attack and opens space up for their edges.
Speaker 4: And now that the.
Speaker 3: Preston back kick ours back as well. Yeah, and Burton, Burton's been playing really worse. I know he thinks he's a five eight moving forward, but in that team, his best position at the moment is probably a center. The question is, because Sero has been experimenting all season, and I'll put it to you, Bulldog, does he go back to his critter experiment, which he seemed to really champion, or does he stick with sure No Sullivan.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer, but my opinion would be he sticks with Ose Sullivan. I think it worked.
Speaker 4: He's got to do it, mate.
Speaker 2: He's been mucking around this spine from this point last year. He's been doing for twelve months. Yeah, and I get Sero doing it. He's trying to find the right combination. Maybe he's done it, maybe he's finally found he's a pure half. O'Sullivan. He's not elite, he's not let's not He's not going to be a million bucks a year player, but he's a pure half. He kicks well, as Fatima says, he struts up the attack. Galvin played better with him in the solid but with Critter back, I would put Critter back to the centers. I leave Burton and I think Tuala is the one to probably miss out. Whether he goes out onto the wing to be confirmed, But I think after all the changes, all the experimentation, all the condemnation, I think maybe Soirello's finally found the harves combination to take him into the final.
Speaker 4: Sean O'Sullivan definitely played half back in that game. We're agreed. He wasn't playing six.
Speaker 1: So why are the Bulldogs continuing to put seven on Galvin's back? Do you think it's a pride thing?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know whether it's a pride thing. I just don't think they found or they didn't think they had found a pure seven to take over from Galvin. Yeah, yeah, and look a lot of people are critical of Seano Sullom because he's sure he's what would you say, he's not a makeshift play. That's probably unfair, but yeah, he's not a first choice pick every week, is he? But now yeah he should be. Yeah, he's been given the chance, he's taken it. If you're going to give him Bake a chance and he performs, well, then you've got to support him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I think Bulldogs fans will be frustrated because they've had Seaun O'Sullivan available to them all year they needed. He isn't elite, That's why I say he's boring. He's not a star. He's meant to be in reserve grade and back up. But they didn't have a proper game managing halfback, which is what they needed. And O'Sullivan's fantastic. He may not be elite, but he's unbelievable at following the game plan that the coach gives him, which in his postmatch interview you talked about that we did video on. This is incredibly intelligent. Joey John's back in the day he said he was the smartest footballery's seen. So this is not some schmuck that the Bulldogs have in reserve grade. This is a guy who could really help them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if he's the guy that brings the best out of Lochland Galvin and allows him to play that sort of instinctive style that we that everyone thinks Lochland Galvin is, then yeah, he's got to be the guy that goes there. But again, going back into the Pride question, is Galvin still wearing the number seven jumper out of Pride?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm begging cam Serroaldo please keep Sean o' sullivan playing half back and just switch the numbers. It's okay to admit you got it wrong. The Bulldogs looks so much better when Seawan oh sullivan's playing half back.
Speaker 2: It's not even wrong. So he didn't fish. It's not wrong, per se. It's experimenting, try the right combination. I'm with you, I change it, but it's a matter of saying I got it wrong. But my experiment here, there and everywhere, this is what we're finally come down to. So I don't know what it's be getting wrong, but I think it's about I would totally let's change it and let's stick with it.
Speaker 1: I would totally concede on that, except Saldo has been saying, no, this is our spine. He hasn't said, hey, we're on a twenty four month experiment experimentation journey. He's kind of gone, no, Galvin is our seven. And then as time has gone on, there's the realization he's just an excellent number six.
Speaker 4: That's my thought. Well, Broncos thought this day would never come.
Speaker 1: After I think eight consecutive losses, Brisbane Broncos, that defending champions have finally won a game, one that no one expected that they would win. They showed up put in maximum effort for Tima. Can the Broncos make the eighth?
Speaker 3: Well, watching them play, they almost had shades of the Broncos that went on that surge at the end of last year. But they have a really, really tough run and I think they've left it too late. In their defense, they were close to full strength. I think there were a couple of guys still missing. But I think it showed really that they have really really been hurt this year. Their title defense has been hurt by the fact that they've had significant injuries pretty much a year.
Speaker 4: But do you think they can make it? The run's too hard.
Speaker 3: But then again, who knows if they come out and play the chip on their shoulder, because they absolutely did come out and play with the chip on their shoulder, and I don't know whether they lifted or found that extra year because Penrith was the opposition incredible scalp by the way, Yeah, amazing, you know, after going so horribly wrong. I just think they're run. They've left it too late and their runs too hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other key difference is that Reese Walsh blitzed it like he's been missing in action for a few months. I reckon if he played like that and was playing for Queens and they would have won three nil. It was back to twenty twenty five Grand Final run Reese Welsh. He was electric everywhere, dominating one of the best teams in the comp bo.
Speaker 4: Do you think the Broncos can make it? No?
Speaker 2: No, in a word, yeah, no, okay, and then follow up the team is right, they've left it too late to go win every game. They're on eighteen points. Yeah, the Cowboys won twenty four and eighth position, so they're still six points outside. Can they do it again? Skill wise? Possibly? But I just don't think because you've done it one year, it gives you can't blunt I think you can do it the next year. It's too hard regularly, it's too hard to be streaming together six seven, eight wins. It was a gentle reminder on two fronts of how good they are, and it's also a gentle reminder of how they've fluffed their lines this year because that side that we saw beat the Panthers should be playing finals footy.
Speaker 4: They definitely should be.
Speaker 1: I also think it does show there's been a lot of noise about Michael Maguire, that he's perhaps lost the dressing room, that the boys aren't playing for him. That absolutely, in the past month, I feel like it's true. That's a team that's playing for their coach, their high maximum effort, they're showing up, they're in the collision, they're giving them everything, and they piped a team that they should never have beaten, especially when they're on an eight game skid, Bulldog. Do you think this silence is the noise around Maguire?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I think it should should I think it should and what will happen probably two different things. Madge, wherever he goes as a human headline, he can't escape it Madge, it's under the part before round one this year, outreached, he lost the World Club Challenge and ben Terre walks out and he's already on the skids out of the Joy. He's a defending Premiere coach. So no matter what Madge does, there always going to be critics out there and that's fine. But look, he'll be there next year as there's no doubt in my mind that Madge will start the year. Whether he finishes the year, I guess it's like any professional sporting organization. It will come down to results. But he's got surely he's got the runs on the board from last year. To have a year where they don't make the finals and all sits well as opposed to going let's get the noose.
Speaker 4: Out and get him out of the Joy. Yeah, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's even a topic of conversation, but it is a lot of people have been calling for his head. Let's move on to the Panthers. Should Panthers fans now be worried? I think it's three losses out of their past four. They've lost to three teams that when they played them were outside of the eighth. Is there any is there any concern here for Panthers fans.
Speaker 3: For Teama, oh, I had to double check the fact that it had been three from four losses. It's sort of creeped up, I think on most fans because they've been so dominant for so long this year. No, I think I still think it's it's them and Daylight Second. To be honest, there's probably a couple of other clubs that are going under the raider a little bit like Crenula, though I don't know whether Cronulla had what it takes to be a Grand finalist. But No, I think once their full strength and once they get to that point the end of the season, I think they'll be fine.
Speaker 4: It goes to show how I think there's a muscle memory there for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they just know how to do it, and they know they often do this in the middle of the season. They kind of drop games or they don't they don't play their full squad.
Speaker 4: Origin obviously affects them.
Speaker 1: It goes to show how unbelievable they are as a team, that they're one of the least for one of the teams in the worst Formula comp right now, and no one's questioning can Panthers.
Speaker 2: Do it no problem whatsoever with Penrith losing a couple of games. It happens during a year sometimes, you know what, it's not a bad thing just to pull back the jets for a couple of weeks and then they'll go again. We know what they can do, we know how they can find another level.
Speaker 4: I think it's a traffic I think they're just deceiving the commentary.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit like I think before this run of losses the gap between Penrith and the closer side was as big as it's been in their tenure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they.
Speaker 2: Are clearly ahead of the rest. If you want to go through and look, okay, Penrieth from the Grand Final right around that, who do they play? There's not that many options. The Roosters will be close, the Warriors. I'm still yet to be convinced and win a Grand Final. Darks are emerging, but we know Corla do in September. That's lose. There's other clubs sort of sniffing around, but I'm not convinced that there's a horde of teams coming to get the Panthers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, if you'd asked me, a couple of weeks ago would have said the Dolphins. But sixty six points. I mean it was incredible bounce back on the weekend. But yeah, it's really hard to pick it. I worry about the Warriors, whether they might run out of steam, you know, But my gut feeling is it might be the Warriors.
Speaker 1: I think it's tough for the Warriors right because they've been a perennially failing club that no one's believing them right now.
Speaker 4: But what else can they do?
Speaker 1: They're winning games, they're playing great footy, they've been hammard by injury.
Speaker 2: They get two finals. They were if they got that top two fifinishes, that's right, I go bang at Hard. But they win that, then they in the primin final back at Hard. You know the side that Penrith would fear most, Yeah, the Broncos.
Speaker 4: Yeah they were. They're not going to do that.
Speaker 2: That's side that Britain send out each week, which is packed full of origin players. They're the side they can beat Penrith. They showed it last year. Obviously they won't be there, but that's the one team I think Penrith will be having a little gent to look over their shoulder, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I reckon the Warriors are going to be there. I think they're actually playing fantastic footy. They we talk about teams getting hit by injury. They they've certainly been hammered, but they've found the depth in the squad to keep getting results and if they get that home final, I think they're a shoeing for the Grand Final.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Whilst on the topic of the Warriors in their victory over the Dragon, there was another storyline that popped up all over the weekend. Plenty of coaches talked about it. Fans across the country were furious at what's been going on. Fatimi, You've called it blunder round two point zero. The Bunker once again fails the standard that fans require of it. Tell me how many mistakes or what kind of absolute blunders did the Bunker mat this weekend.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you a definitive job, but there felt like a couple of howlers like you mentioned in that Warriors Dragon gave you a feel for the Dragons because they put they paid with so much heart, put in so much effort. In the end, it was a couple of refereeing decisions that I think cost them. So one of the most contentious ones was the Dallan Waturny's ears neck try that was clearly off a last pass that was forward and so and I know we don't want to open the can of worms with a bunker ruling on forward passes, but I still maintain on the last pass of a try, I think the bunker should be able to have a look.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that was why shocker.
Speaker 3: That was a shocker. And then Paul vow Home, who've been having a go out all year on this podcast, got absolutely stiff on an escort penalty when you could hear the bunker saying, oh that vow deliberately changes his line to running to tain to a picky I think it was when you see the replay, he was literally just turning around to see where the ball was going. And I think they the Warriors took a penalty goal on the back of that. So yeah, a try that went against them, a penallly that went against them, and in the end I think it might have cost.
Speaker 2: Them the game.
Speaker 1: And there was some unformu There was also the unfortunate one where Ceta too is me that line break, he gets, the ref calls play on it gets the bunker calls are back saying it's a tackle, but then the momentum's gone for the Dragons. The Warriors have a fully set line, so Dragons fans will feel ripped off. My hot take is that they still weren't going to win, like they needed the fifty to fifty calls to go their way to maybe steal a win. The Warriors were just definitely the better site. Doesn't mean the Dragons were bad, just that the Warriors are an excellent team. The Dragons shouldn't be embarrassed about the performance that they.
Speaker 4: Put on refereeings.
Speaker 1: The referee should like it wasn't just in this game, particularly with the bunker Bulldog.
Speaker 4: Did you happen to catch that? Was it on? Nat Butcher? That tackle? The the comb over? I think he called it Fatima.
Speaker 2: I saw it. I can't believe what I saw, but I did unfortunately saw it was a day off too. Yeah, so I'm trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. You're feeling smug after defending laws. You just want to enjoy the spoilers.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was an absurd penalty. It was ridiculous. It was embarrassing for the game. Hopefully we never see such a.
Speaker 1: But that's the issue though, isn't it bulldog like? We are seeing these issues pop up time and time again, And so.
Speaker 2: Who who is making that call? Is that? Is that in his ear? Is that a touchy you reckon? Or is it the referee? That one was a referee on field from memory? Yeah? Yes, So I mean how does he see that and think that's a penalty? How does this? How does this happen?
Speaker 3: Well, something like that shouldn't happen because when you have situations of illegal or foul play, right like, especially if it's a high tackle the rest of it, the bunker can intervene when it's being looked at and decide force. You know, there's moderate force the rest of it. Blah blah blah. Yeah, that should have been a situation where the bunker should have also gone. Actually, hold on, there is no But.
Speaker 1: That's a rule thing, though, isn't it? Like they're not allowed to currently in how the game's operating. The bunkers it can only step in on offenses that are worthy of report. So when I'm suspecting, maybe I'm assuming wrongly. We don't expect referees to be perfect, right, So then how many errors do you think is a referee can make in a game and it'd be a good performance. So here's my rationale. I'm going to throw this one out there. I got hammered online for it. If you watch a good game of footing, you'll probably see at least eight errors and a bunch of mistackles. Like a really great game of footy is at least going to have eight errors, say ninety percent completion rate from both teams, that's going to be an amazing game with a bunch of errors. Now, the referee is involved in every single play, so I reckon a good ref performance includes eight to ten errors.
Speaker 2: Thoughts I disagree. I'm more concerned about the level of the eight to ten. If you're referring to a player laying on the board a bit longer, I can live with that. It's an error, but it's more the cleanup. Again, they've got to watch out for. And look, referee is a human. We all love the kicking refs. I've kicked mess for thirty exactly, and they get it wrong a lot. But at the same time, if you ask the NRL, they've got the KPIs and the stats there which show that the referees are striking success at about ninety six twenty seven. Yes, if you want to believe those stats exactly. But I'm just saying we're never ever going to get the perfect game because there's human error involved. Even though the bunker, which I hate, yeah's still going to someone in there, still at the button. Yeah, and he's a human being, So it will never be perfect. I don't mind the smaller errors. We just have to live with them. We have since done one hundred and eight yea, And it's like, but it's the tackles on the weekend and some of the decisions over there. I want to say, the TACKLEMN Butcher tackle and some of those Dragons runs, they were just poor. And the game's better than that. It's got to be better than that, and it's got to be more professional.
Speaker 1: So if the bunker is officiating poorly and we're getting frustrated and we are seeing these clangers or these howlers or these flunders, what are some ideas on how we fix this?
Speaker 2: You've got you're not going to fix Yeah's impossible.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think there's some ways to fix it.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, like, as Bulldog mentioned, the their KPIs and how well they're actually doing is actually quite high. It's just the fact that there are clangers just about every single weekend, which is why we're talking about it. I don't know how because of the human element, if there is a process that's going to eliminate every single human error unless we turn referees into AI referees, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know the robots.
Speaker 1: But don't you feel like the fans in the football community are owed more like should here's my thought. Should the NRL reveal to us the scorecard of how they how they judge referee performances. I'm not saying give the scorecard for that ref I'm just saying, let us know why you're saying the refs are performing at a high level.
Speaker 2: They could. But the KPIs are very complex. Yeah, I've seen that, Michelle. It's very complex, and to go through a game means with that complexity, it would be quite an arduous. So Graham and as he did for a few years, brief front up every Monday and explain decisions.
Speaker 1: I felt like he was I feel like he gassed lit a lot though, didn't he like he was always defending.
Speaker 2: Well, it's such a subjective game. You can look at a decision, go that's bullshit, that's wrong. But technically Anathon might say, you know what that is right, It's like a ruck and mall in rugby union. Yeah, thirty two different decisions. You can make twenty of them one and then aiding the reverse. There's no right or wrong, they're both subjective.
Speaker 3: So doing defense in that situation because when he used to have his briefings, I attended quite a few of them.
Speaker 4: Now, very paw, did you survive.
Speaker 3: No, But if the view was that the referee got it wrong, they would concede.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you know what, hopefully well I won't be need to, but younger than you'll be sitting here in ten years time, and you know what, we'll still be talking about refereeing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess that's it's possible to around.
Speaker 2: We've tried him and we've got the bunker now, our games worth billions of dollars. We've been bluing about referee since don ure nay, and it's going to continue. Well, that's my argument, no excuses, don't get me wrong. I'm not sticking out no, no totally just saying, but to try to totally eradicate the referee in their errors it's impossible.
Speaker 1: That's why I feel like the sentiment, the negative sentiment is a bit of a waste of energy because it's not going to like there's things we can do to tweak it, but they're not going to be perfect.
Speaker 4: They are going to make it.
Speaker 2: You just hope as a supporter that it will roll around and by the end of the year at fifty to fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And onto our new segment BS Messages of the Week, where we hear from you the fans, about what's really got you hot, what's got you riled up, what's some bullshit that you want to call out. We've got some great ones this week. This one comes from Keith in Sydney. Hello to you, Keith. He says, ticket prices of NRL games some Thursday night games are more expensive than concerts for international bands and magic that your real name. Pretty Cool from Queensland says buying a round of beers at the footy game is giving off just one round is enough vibes our fans getting priced out at the footy Bulldog.
Speaker 2: It's been a bugbear of mine for one hundred years. It's the price of going to a game of football. But the crowds are massive, so they are still going. People will complain. I get that, and times are tough. We're all watching our pennies at the moment, but they are still going to the game. That's why clubs are promoting memberships. You can buy a membership and get four, six, eight, twelve games and they are a lot cheaper than buying a one off ticket. But I hate it. I think it's a working class game. Well certainly was a working class game, and I think all fans should be able to take their kids to the footy and go as a family and enjoy those memories and moments that having a sluggy for two three hundred bucks. Sadly, it's live entertainment. You go to any concert these days, the prices are the same. It's bloody expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be rough, especially if you're a Roosters fan heading to Alion Stadium and you've got Maryvale catering it. You're not going to get a cheap feed at the footy anymore. I don't think that's a working class mill. Their Bulldog fans getting priced out for Tima.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you think about you know, if you're trying to take a family to a footy game. You know, some family tickets started about few hundred dollars. Then the kids haven't even had their pigs and their hot ships set and all their soft drinks. Maybe you want to buy a couple of drinks yourself, and then you're looking at you know, or maybe five hundred dollars just to go to a game of footage, especially in the cost of living crisis. Yeah, I do think some families are being priced out, though some clubs that are taking the initiative to make tickets as affordable as possible. I know last year, you know, Canterbury had that ten dollar ticket offer and towards the end of the year you saw those massive crowds at a core stadium. So yeah, I think they are being priced out and clubs should be doing more to and sure as many fans as possible can accessuse.
Speaker 2: The problem with also got is we do stick to suburban grounds, which I love. But when those suburban grounds are full and it doesn't take a lot to fill, and Brookie always like, can't they can charge top dollar because everyone's cramming to get in. It's okay for the Bulldogs for example, or Souse to say cheap tickets. I love that, mind you, But they've got sixty thousand empty seats so they can put a few more bums on seats. But while we're at suburban grounds, they have that ability charge.
Speaker 4: High Keith and Magic sorro Man.
Speaker 1: Just the unfortunate reality of the game being so popular, the prices aren't going down.
Speaker 4: Mate. Final one from Tony in Bellmere, Queensland.
Speaker 1: When a try is awarded, Rather than celebrate, I breathe a sigh of relief. The ref and bunker over officiating is ruining the game? Is it that bad guys? Is it ruining the game?
Speaker 2: Ah, it's not ruining the game. You know what. I don't like the bunker. They stick their bibbin, They drive me nuts. They've given me these gray hairs on both my temples. Having said that, I think it's still a better option than what we had when it was just eyes and a touch judge. Blunders were being made left, right and center. Back then. Of course, we didn't know the blunders were being made because we didn't have fifty eight thousand cameras at every game, and we just moved on. It was a different world back then. But I think ultimately as much as the Bunker gets in our face and I wish they'd leave us alone, at times, it is a more accurate game in terms of decisions being made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tony, you would be much more furious if we didn't have the bunker, and those senior match officials like you would be pulling your hair out if you've got any minds going anyway. Okay, so that wraps up our BS segment. If you want, we want to hear from your fans. We want to start talking about what's what's got you? What what's got you riled up? Head to cod sports dot com dot au. You can't miss it a NOBS section. Click on there, submit your answers or submit anything that's giving you a grievance and we'll talk about it on the show. That wraps it up for us for this week. Thanks so much everyone. We'll catch you next Monday.