Speaker 1: Hi, it's Claire from the Front. We're bringing you a new mini series from The Australian called The Flood, and this is episode four. The series is hosted by Chief International Correspondent Cameron Stewart and created by Cam with me and our audio lead Jasper Leik, plus all of us here at The Australian. It tells the incredible true story of how sixty Australian sub mariners saved their own lives and their boat. The Flood is a truly inspirational story of human courage, resilience, teamwork and ingenuity. You can follow the show by searching The Flood wherever you listen and going to the floodpodcast dot com, where you can also watch it as a video. The Flood is brought to you by the Australian War Memorial. Some stories define a nation, others reveal what it means to be human. Through Their Eyes is a new podcast from the Australian War Memorial that uncovers powerful human stories, revealing war through unexpected perspectives and immersive storytelling. Through Their Eyes will be live soon wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I wrung my wife and said, we've had a bit of a misshoe. Can you come and pick me up and pick up some cigarettes? Whine got wet.
Speaker 3: I'm Cameron Stewart and this is the fourth and final episode of the flood, the fallout. The shadow was back on the surface, but Peter Scott and his crew were still a long way from dry land.
Speaker 4: We didn't know the state about hydraulic systems, electrical systems.
Speaker 5: We didn't know how much war we had on the boat.
Speaker 4: We didn't know what casualties we'd suffered them therefore, you know, what expertise we'd lost and so on. We didn't know probably at that point whether there'd been other issues, like, you know, had fire started or whatever. So once we were on the roof, a really serious damage control battle kind of began.
Speaker 2: It was the long trens at back. I can remember that because we were severely speed restricted because of the damage that had been done to the main mater cooling gear. There was a lot of work going on to try and get systems back up to get us home safe, and that was obviously carried out. But that time coming back in was I guess, just the time to reflect and come to groups with what had just happened.
Speaker 3: Jordie Buntzing had more to reflect on the most. He lost a round of rock paper scissors, nearly drowned in the lower major room, and soakedy cigarettes. For the next six hours, the submarine chugged to the naval based HMAS Sterling near Perth Top Brass, led by Commodore Mike Diggs, commander of the Australian Submarine Group, that scrambled an emergency response.
Speaker 6: I can recall it very clearly. We set the wills in motion to provide the support for the submarine, so that included some medical support, HR support, psychological people on standby, as well as engineering support. Obviously we needed to find out what the problem was and make sure the submarine was saved.
Speaker 4: It was a tremendous relief to get back alongside and great to see a guy like Mike Dieks, who I've known from my very.
Speaker 7: First days in the Navy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was just really good to see your boss there and know that you've sort of got yourself through that.
Speaker 6: I was on the wharf when Dashana arrived back alongside, and I was the first person at Peter Scott spoke to when he came off the submarine on arrival. My emotions were a degree of thankfulness and relief, but also of pride. Peter is a very matter of fact sort of person and a very calm person, and that shone through on that occasion, and he, probably without any intention, underplayed the seriousness of the event. As I got more information about it, I realized exactly how serious it was.
Speaker 3: The Navy had to urgently find out what went wrong with Dushana and ensure the problem didn't extend to the other Colins class submarines. It immediately recalled all submarines to port and reduced the deep diving depth, therefore reducing the pressure on the seawater hoses until the accident could be investigated.
Speaker 4: In the immediate aftermath, they just recalled the submarines because we didn't understand what had happened. We didn't know what risk the other boats might have been exposed to, and so on. It was probably within a week that they were released to sail again when we understood the recourse the problem.
Speaker 3: Investigators put the seawater hoses through rigorous pressure tests, much more intense than the Colon submarine's deep diving depth, but couldn't find any fault to explain the flood months dragged into several years with no answers, and the Navy had no choice but to maintain a reduced deep diving depth for many years. This cantailed their potency because submarines are easier to detect and have more limited options for attack if they are subject to depth restrictions. Since World War One, submarines have been a critical part of warfare with their ability to sneak up on hostile forces and destroy them. In World War Two, U boat fleets of the Germans and the Allies played a critical role in the war's outcome.
Speaker 4: The Commander in chief at fleet moments, they should have brief given a came from Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 5: He has to do afternoon.
Speaker 3: I don't think that the theft of a large and Japanese. Today there are two types of submarines. Attack submarines which hunt and destroy enemy submarines and server ships gather intelligence and launch tactical cruise missiles. Then there are the larger ballistic missile submarines operated by nuclear weapons states. These sophisticated submarines are armed with nuclear weapons and roam the world's oceans twenty four to seven, creating a permanent nuclear deterrent, which allows the nation to hit back through these submarines if it's ever subjected to a nuclear attack. The Colins class submarines, which Australia operates, are attack submarines. As an either nation, they are considered a most formidable defense capability. Here's Peter Scott.
Speaker 7: The failure was basically a flexible hose.
Speaker 4: One of the things about submarines is you want to be out there and you want to be as quiet as you possibly can. You do need to operate a lot of machinery on board, so you want to isolate that machinery from the hull so that the noise from the machinery doesn't vibrate out into the ocean. One of the ways that we do that is rather than connecting hard pipes from the system to the whole, there's pressure rated flexible hoses and they just create that sort of acoustic barrier between the machinery and the whole. So these are tested to all sorts of pressures and there are hundreds of them on board the submarines. This one failed and eventually the investigations found that it was a manufacturing defect.
Speaker 6: Mike Dix again, the nature of the pressure on those hoses were somewhat different to what they were designed for, if I recall correctly.
Speaker 5: In other words, the constant.
Speaker 6: Pressure versus pulse pressures may have caused the hose to fail because there hadn't been properly designed for the situation that found itself.
Speaker 3: In the Other dilemma was what to tell the media.
Speaker 6: The clowns class had had a lot of bad press. We didn't need any more, but we needed to really draw out the positives out of this situation.
Speaker 4: Maybe probably didn't have a whole lot of tolerance for the media at that time, To be honest, there wasn't much more to be said, so I think within probably a week or two, the Navy probably shut down on it again and said, we've told you what we can tell you.
Speaker 7: That's all there is to it.
Speaker 3: Do you think they played it down to a degree because of a circumstance.
Speaker 4: So the Navy would not have played it up, because there's nothing to be gained by playing it up. My sense is they would have played it with a pretty straight bat.
Speaker 3: The Navy did not completely cover up the flood on d. Shane, but it did all that it could to ensure that the real story was not told. Four days after the flood, the Navy stated merely that a number of tons of water had entered the submarine after a host failed, but it made no mention of deep diving depth a critical factor, and it did not say how close the submarine came to being lost as a result. Within a tent for our news cycle, the story had all but banished. Meanwhile, the Navy had the cruise word there to think of.
Speaker 6: You know, you hear very often nowadays about PTSD. Well, that was certainly we're aware of that at those times, and we needed to look after the crew both immediately after the incident itself, but then follow up in the weeks and months to come. Sometimes these things take a while to reveal themselves.
Speaker 3: Jeordie Bunting.
Speaker 2: Again, there was advice and psychology advice that was offered, but I was a blog and we don't do that. We just get on the part of me says how do I have taken those opportunities up?
Speaker 5: Then it.
Speaker 2: Might have changed things. But down the track I did seek help. I was broken and.
Speaker 4: It worked organizationally. I knew that different people would need different kinds of support, you know, depending on what their experience had been on the day.
Speaker 7: I think we probably asked it. I ran to sit down with a psychologist at some stage.
Speaker 4: Through those next several weeks, there was kind of barely a moment when some of that wasn't playing out in my head, and I think that's just you know, your body and your brain still trying to comprehend what's happened and place it somewhere.
Speaker 7: I know that.
Speaker 4: Certainly for the first couple of weeks afterwards, I'd go to bed at night and just find myself just lying as still and quiet as I.
Speaker 7: Could, while I was sort of really liiving some of this stuff, and.
Speaker 5: I was kind of most determined not to.
Speaker 4: You know, Sean and my wife, she's been around sumarines as long as I have, right so, but what I didn't want to do was sort of betray to her the full sense of the trauma that we'd we've been through, because I knew we had to go back to sea, and I didn't want to add two her concern while we were away for another three months, totally out of contact as you are for weeks and weeks on end.
Speaker 3: To the amazement of the Navy's top rast despite the traumatic experience of the Deschena's crew. Every one of them reported back for duty just two weeks after the flood to go back to see.
Speaker 2: We were part of a crew that wanted to get back to doing what we were doing. If anything had brought the crew together.
Speaker 4: Trauma aside, they actually came away with a much renewed and maybe even reinvigorated sense of confidence in themselves, what they were able to do, what they're training had given them on the day, and in their butt.
Speaker 7: To a degree, it was what I expected.
Speaker 4: But I know how hard it was to get my own ass back on that submarine, so I don't imagine it was any easier for the others. So you know, a lot of a lot of respect for those people.
Speaker 3: For some crew members, like Jordie Bunting, the trauma of the flood had the delayed impact. It created demons which came back to haunt them months and even years later. Do you think about it much?
Speaker 5: It's in your mind every day every day.
Speaker 2: You know, my wife sleeps beside me at night and knows I have nightmares.
Speaker 5: It's nights a better.
Speaker 6: YEA.
Speaker 2: What do you do? You either get on the horse and get going, or you let it rule your life, and it certainly changed my life, but it's not going to own me. It changed my life, for we're in the blink of an eye, and it's not only for me, I guess for the whole crew. We've been through an experience which was near death. My appreciation of people have certainly changed, and being very conscious of those around you that if you treat them with respect, they may well save your life. And that's dear to me. I carry that ethos from a civilian life now in the second career that I've got very very risk adverse Now I don't take risks a lot more calculating it certainly led to mental health issues. No, I don't holde behind that, but now look, the incident made me the person that I am today. Would I do it again?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Probably.
Speaker 3: John Ryan was the chief engineer all the crew. John that I've spoken to just describe it as a terrifying experience on a scale of one to ten. Where would you rank it.
Speaker 5: Enough?
Speaker 8: Why, it's pretty much as close as you ever want to come to death.
Speaker 3: Melanie Elton was a SINA operator.
Speaker 9: I've had definitely a lifelong effect. Definitely, anxiety is probably my worst is I don't have any confidence in myself. I don't want any jobs or responsibility. I seem to be staring away from them. Now now the job changed I'm going to do. I mean, it's even less stressful.
Speaker 1: The flood is brought to you by the Australian War Memorial. What Does War Look Like Through the Eyes of the People who Lived It? Through Their Eyes is a new podcast from the Australian War Memorial that I'm and covers deeply human stories drawn from the AWMS vast collections, galleries and expert insights. Through unexpected perspectives and immersive storytelling, each episode brings history to life in a way that's personal, moving and relevant today. Discover the stories behind our history. Listen to Through Their Eyes soon wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Two years after the flood in two thousand and five, I was having a beer with a defense contact when he whispered, have you heard the rumor that the Navy almost lost a submarine a few years ago? I wondered if he was referring to the small story about the broken hose and the Dashano two years earlier. As luck would have it, I still had the contact details for many of the Dashano crew, because I'd spent forty eight hours on board that same submarine just months before the incident. I avoided the giant defense media machine, which I knew would try to shut down the story, so I directly contacted many of the crew members I had sailed with. To my surprise, most of them were willing to brave the wrath of defense pr to tell me their story. But I didn't get the one interview I needed until now.
Speaker 4: Cameron on Commodore Peter Scott retired from full time service in the ro all Australian Navy.
Speaker 3: After commander of the Dusheno, Scott was promoted to Commodore and became commander of the Australian Submarine Group, before serving in Iraq, the Persian Gulf in Afghanistan. Even in twenty twenty three, when Scott wrote a memoir called Running Deep, he only touched lightly on the flood, devoting six pages out of two hundred and sixty five to that dramatic day. But in his foreword to Scott's memoir, the then Governor General David Hurley did not ignore those six pages. Hurley described the flood as an extraordinary story of terror, bravery, leadership and team response during a major life threatening emergency at sea. So in early twenty twenty six, I asked petersk Got to finally give me the interview I'd saught for twenty one years.
Speaker 4: When we sit here like this and you ask me questions about it's pretty bloody heart sometimes to go back to it, But I think it's had a different impact at different times. I think fundamentally professionally, it's been a solid and positive.
Speaker 7: Impact for the crew.
Speaker 4: It really was a binding, solidifying piece of professional justification and experience and they.
Speaker 5: Went on to do remarkable work.
Speaker 7: For myself, i'd say it was.
Speaker 4: It would be present more often than it needed to be, But of course it sits alongside a number of other life threatening situations that I've been through in a thirty four year service career, which included time in Iraq and Afghanistan. There were a couple of times when I went off to seek the support of psychologists. Once over a period immediately before I was promoted to Commodore, when I was going to be head of the Summarine n't and I just wanted to sort of get a level on some of the stress and anxiety that I.
Speaker 7: Was living with I was worried that some of this stuff might come back and bite me on the bum down track.
Speaker 3: Both Peter Scott and former submarine commander Mike Dix adamant that the floodies are more of the good news story than bad.
Speaker 6: It was quite a remarkable set of circumstances. I've got no doubt that at the time of the incident there were some people that were very shaken up by it. But being a sub mariner operating in the environment which we do, comes with some inherent risks. But it was a great example of the camaraderie and the sense of even though you're in a very difficult situation, that they are actually in control of that situation, and the things that they did at the time were entirely appropriate to bring that submarine safety to the service.
Speaker 3: The Colins class submarines have certainly been tested, but as they approach the end of their operational lives, the boats have been a success.
Speaker 6: They've done some outstanding work in support of government objectives and Australians should be very very proud of their service.
Speaker 3: The Colins boats are thirty years old and now they need significant taxpayer investment to keep going until Australia gets its new boats under the Australia America, Britain ORCHEST Deal.
Speaker 8: Australia, the US and the UK will work together to develop unmanned under sea vehicles as part of the trilateral ORCUS agreements.
Speaker 3: First we'll get nuclear powered Virginia class submarines from America. Then, together with Britain, will build and sustain our own nuclear powered boats, the Orchist class.
Speaker 4: The US doesn't usually share this type of technology with US allies, so the fact that Australia is getting it is a massive deal.
Speaker 3: Will need to grow the workforce of sub mariners from around eight hundred and fifty today to more than three thousand in the next twenty years. So can the Collins boats keep us going? In the meantime, the government's scaling back at spending on Colin's sustatement and maintenance, prompting real fears will end up with a capability gap that is no effective submarine fleet at all for a period of time. Mike Dieck says stories like that of the flood on the Dashano, no matter how terrifying, shouldn't deter would be sub mariners from what he says is an exciting life.
Speaker 6: If I was a kid in high school now, I'll be getting through my AGC exams my year twelve and then looking to join the navy and become a submarner because I think it would be a really exciting career. I think it is interesting times to have another look at the Dashano and what happened back then. But she's still sailing. The submariners are still doing their work, largely unsung, but playing a very important role in the defense of Australia.
Speaker 4: The submarine has been for a very long time and will remain the nation's principal strategic deterrent. It's an absolutely critical naval capability critical to the nation's security and prosperity.
Speaker 7: The offensive and deterrent.
Speaker 4: Capability and capacity of the submarines we have today and the submarines that we will have in the future is remarkable. It is what demands the respect of regional navies and that's where the real value about submarines lies.
Speaker 7: So if I had the chance.
Speaker 4: To be a part of that again, no doubt, I'd absolutely be stepping forward again.
Speaker 3: Despite their traumatic experience, the Dushana Crue say they would do it all again. Here's John Ryan.
Speaker 8: I mean the buck did what it was supposed to do. The people did what they were supposed to do. Yeah, I mean submarine is just a lump of steel, but the people in it and the systems that run it perfect. The Colins have got a bad wrap back in the day by a lot of the media. I think a lot of it was unfounded or at least dramatized. Living it and seeing what was reported on were two completely different things. So yeah, if someone's thinking about it, I would definitely give it a go. Great life, great experience, great training, see the world. I shall put me on a poster.
Speaker 3: Pay for that. And here's Melanie.
Speaker 9: Eleton that you will never find any job with the same amount of loyalty, family, courage, adventure, not one days the same, the bonding of all your crew like it's so worth it. I was a shy girl, got picked on for having red hair at school, and then I've got up to being a leading seaman on a submarine running a sign I watch so anyone can do it.
Speaker 10: And Greg Sullivan thinking about the flood every now and again, I think probably affects me more. If I'm telling someone the story and going through the events, I get a bit of a shitter, but I mean, in the end, everyone on the boat did a great job and I think that's why it all turned out. In the end. I think everyone on the boat should be proud of everything that we all did on that day.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and six, Greg Sullivan, who saved Jordie Bunting's life by lifting him out of the flooded live motor room of the Dushina, was quiet the award of the Bravery Medal by the then Governor General, Major General Michael Jeffrey. His citation reads, mister Sullivan was on duty in another compartment of the submarine when he heard a loud bang and ran to investigate. He found that there was a serious flood in the lower motor room and that the crew member was pinned beneath the exit ladder by the force of the flood. Despite the danger, he assisted in reaching through a small access hatch into the rapidly flooding space and pulled the shocked and disoriented crew member to safety, regardless of the risk of electrocution. Mister Sullivan then stayed to assist in damage control operations. By his action, mister Sullivan displayed considerable bravery by his Excellency's command, signed Michael Jeffrey. The crew of the Dushana of Long parted scattered to Walll corners of Australia and even overseas. A few are still in the Navy, but most are out pursuing new careers or retired. Many of the crew now have adult children and even grandchildren, a new generation that came within twenty seconds of never existing. Some of the Dashano crew are still in touch. Those that are say that the shared experience of the flood binds them together forever. Do you think in a strange way that terrifying experience was a binding experience for the crew?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah, they called being to brothers or being of brothers and sisters, then they are awesome.
Speaker 3: But for those who are on board the the shame of that day, the memory of the flood is always there in some form. Peter Scott is adamant that the survival of the submarine on that day was due to his crew rather than himself.
Speaker 4: I definitely think I've had my fair share of both adventure and misadventure. I spent a lot of time in submarines, so I had some really difficult days.
Speaker 5: But Thankfully I was trained.
Speaker 7: And prepared and equipped to deal with.
Speaker 4: Those and I was with the right people on those days, and they were trained and prepared and equipped to deal with those difficult days as well. And those days are memorable, but they're not the important days, the important days of the days when you're out there having a strategic effect for the nation.
Speaker 7: So I left the Navy.
Speaker 4: I spent a lot of time and did a lot of work in the months after I left that job, finding the right ways to reprocess some of those memories.
Speaker 7: And today it's a part of my life.
Speaker 4: It's an experience I went through. Most of the time, it doesn't occur to me.
Speaker 3: For Jordie Bunting, whose will was turned upside down by his near death experience on the Dushano, life still has its challenges, but he says he has no regrets about his time in the Navy.
Speaker 7: I loved it.
Speaker 2: I was proud, I was proud to serve, I was proud to be a submarland and I wouldn't change a thing.
Speaker 3: When he looks back on that faithful day on the Duschano, he says, there are three people he owes his life to. The first are his two crewmates, Greg Sullivan and Michael Morris who ran towards the flood and risked their lives to save him as he was drowning.
Speaker 2: If I hadn't a true to them with respect, would they have come back and got me? That's a question I'll never know. I'll never know.
Speaker 3: But there is another person, he says he wants to thank again after all these years, not just for himself, but on behalf of the fifty four men and six women who made it back to Perth against the odds.
Speaker 2: Cool, calm and calculated Commander Scott. At the time, I had the utmost trust in his crew, and the crew had the utmost trust in Commander Scott. He was a genuine person who was endearing to his crew. He knew what he wanted out of him, and the crew weren't scared to give him what he wanted. He was just an absolute gentleman.
Speaker 3: What do you say to him today?
Speaker 2: Thanks for bringing us on.
Speaker 1: Visus episode four of our four part series, which the Australian subscribers here first at the floodpodcast dot com and Apple Podcasts. If you haven't seen our beautiful documentary video all Red Cameron Stories, go to The floodpodcast dot com. The Flood is an audio and video investigation for The Australian by Cameron Stewart, Executive producer Claire Harvey and editor Jasper Leiku. You can watch the video right now at the floodpodcast dot com. Our theme is composed by jasperlik cinematography is by Andy Taylor and video editing by Lachlan Clear. Additional footage was shot by Luke Geldard and Peter Aqualina. Our graphics are by Sean Callanan and animations by Franklin. Special thanks to Kristin Amiot, Ryan Elfin, the Australian National Maritime Museum and the Australian War Memorial. Captured, Imprisoned, Determined to Survive through first hand accounts from the Australian War Memorial's archives. Through Their Eyes reveals what it meant to endure captivity, maintain hope and survive against the odds. Listen to Through Their Eyes wherever you get your podcasts